Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi all,

So I just got my score back:

511 overall (86%)
127 (79%) / 128 (90%) / 125 (56%) / 131 (99%)

I am happy with the overall score but worried about the B/B section score.
GPA ~3.67 and have solid extracurriculars, some research, and listed on a publication, and I believe my letters will also be solid.

How is this for MD programs? Should I retake? I am applying this cycle.
The B/B is right at the cutoff between considering retaking, but I'd think you would retake it if you were sure your C/P would increase by a point or 2 as well because the other 2 scores are great, so the risk of having a bad day and decreasing either of the other 2 could leave you right back where you started. That was a pretty convoluted way of saying I wouldn't unless I had a few months to focus on not only reviewing everything, but also maybe learning a lot in a different way.

The B/B is right at the cutoff between considering retaking, but I'd think you would retake it if you were sure your C/P would increase by a point or 2 as well because the other 2 scores are great, so the risk of having a bad day and decreasing either of the other 2 could leave you right back where you started. That was a pretty convoluted way of saying I wouldn't unless I had a few months to focus on not only reviewing everything, but also maybe learning a lot in a different way.
Thanks for your input. After having some time to think about it, I'd say I agree since the retake could hurt the other two scores, plus C/P is usually my weak section so the 127 is what I was aiming for. I'm not really sure what happened here, if I remember correctly I was averaging 127-128 in B/B on my practice tests.

3.15 cGPA
3.01 sGPA
Excellent ECs and letters
1500+ hrs clinical experience and volunteering

1/19 test taker: 509 (82%) 124/128/127/130
45%/90%/78%/97%

Should I retake?

I want to become a physician. Any school within the US would do. I would love any feedback!

My practice tests were higher and I thought I was on track for 513 so please don't skewer me for posting a WAMC thread as if I had that score- just wanted to know f I stood a chance at that score :(
You most probably need to go for a master's or a post-bac first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
I just got back my scores from the Jan exam:
509 overall (82%)
C/P : 123 (33%), CARS: 129 (95%), B/B: 128 (87%), P/S: 129 (92%)
Obviously my worry is about my really low C/P score. Will this really hurt me? Is it worth it to take the MCAT again and possibly have to push my application back a cycle?
Thanks!
for most schools anything below 125 is considered non-competitive.

Hi so I'm applying next cycle in-state MD (Texas) & OOS DO & maybe a few OOS MD; should I retake?

MCAT: 507 (127/126/127/127)
cGPA: 3.58
sGPA: 3.55
Strong strong upper trend in difficult science major (4.0 every quarter during junior year and during senior year so far)

MCAT: 506 (130/123/125/128)
sGPA: 3.39
cGPA: 3.52
I was aiming for 508-510 balanced. My FLs were consistent the last 3 weeks 129/126/126/128. This was 3 months of studying 8 hours a day, 2 years after pre-reqs. Is 6-8 weeks enough to relearn everything and fill in gaps- especially if I would retake it in the hopes of getting ~512 this time.

I am applying early and broadly and will accept any school.

posting for a friend as my cycle is complete:

just got her MCAT back: 514 (131/124/130/129)
sGPA~cGPA~3.7
(from my perspective) good ECs in all categories (research/clinical/volunteering)

all non-CARS scores are higher than anticipated, so the question if she'd have to re-take is whether she be able to recapture those scores...she's non-HYP ivy and questionably URM, assuming not though does she have shots at schools/if so which ones?

I just got my January 28 score back: 504 (127/126/127/124).
cGPA: 3.82
sGPA: 3.67

I know I need to retake because my low psych/soc, but when should I retake it? I'm currently in my last semester of school and it's pretty intense, so I may only be able to set aside 2 hours to study every day. I was thinking about taking the 4/22 or 4/28 MCAT so I can get my applications in on time, but I'm not sure if this will be too soon or if I'll feel prepared in two months.

Just got my score today! 510 (132/126/126/126).
cGPA: 3.67 (approximately)
sGPA: 3.67 (approximately)
Also, I'm a CA resident.

Wasn't sure if it's too unbalanced (FWIW, my personal statement is about how I want to use math to do medical research and whatnot, so the C/P section was pretty much going to be my highest scoring section no matter what). I was planning on not retaking since the overall score was pretty good and nothing was below a 125, but just wanted some second opinions

MCAT : 507 (130 / 124/ 126/ 127)
cGPA : 3.9
sGPA : 3.71 (approximately)
Texas resident

i'm devastated since my practice scores were at least over 510 and i don't know what happened during the cars...

Hey all,
So my dilemma is whether or not I should try and retake the MCAT to get a better score, but the thing is that I've already taken it twice(once with the old exam, and again this past month with the new exam). I don't know if it will look bad if I take it again for the third time, even though I had to retake it because the old score was going to expire (and most schools don't accept the old exam scores anymore anyways).

Here are my stats:
C&P 128, CARS 126, B&B 128, P&S 126 (total 508)

I know that 508 is pretty much the average, but I don't know if it is worth it to take it again in a couple of months to try and score higher, since I did pretty poorly in the psych section.

Hey all! Just got my Jan 28th score back. I'm very satisfied with the total but I'm a little worried about my low CARS since I'm aiming for some top-tier programs.
Total:521
C/P 132, CARS 126, B/B 132, P/S 131.
English is my second language and I came to US 3 years ago for college. I have a 3.9+ gpa but got a B- in the only English writing class I took. If I can probably improve my CARS to 128/129 on June 1st, should I retake to get a more balanced score?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Posting again.

507 (126, 127, 128, 126) MCAT score, 3.4 GPA, URM

Planning to apply this upcoming cycle. Last time I was studying I scored 512-514 on most FL practice exams.
Would it be a boost to my app if I can raise my score to a 512-514 (assuming I'm scoring that on my FL's this time around) or is that just foolish?

Thanks for any advice.

Hey all! Just got my Jan 28th score back. I'm very satisfied with the total but I'm a little worried about my low CARS since I'm aiming for some top-tier programs.
English is my second language and I came to US 3 years ago for college. I have a 3.9+ gpa but got a B- in the only English writing class I took. If I can probably improve my CARS to 128/129 on June 1st, should I retake to get a more balanced score?
Thanks!

Listen closely here bud. You scored in the 99th percentile. Retaking this test should not even cross your mind. It's much more likely for your score to decrease upon a second try. For reference, I had the same overall score. Top-tier programs don't only look at the MCAT. Focus on other parts of your application now and be ecstatic that you scored in the top 1% on the hardest graduate school test on Earth.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,
So my dilemma is whether or not I should try and retake the MCAT to get a better score, but the thing is that I've already taken it twice(once with the old exam, and again this past month with the new exam). I don't know if it will look bad if I take it again for the third time, even though I had to retake it because the old score was going to expire (and most schools don't accept the old exam scores anymore anyways).

Here are my stats:
C&P 128, CARS 126, B&B 128, P&S 126 (total 508)

I know that 508 is pretty much the average, but I don't know if it is worth it to take it again in a couple of months to try and score higher, since I did pretty poorly in the psych section.
If your GPA is good I think you could go ahead and try applying, unless your percentile is drastically different compared to your first exam. If you're aiming for higher tiered schools you may want to retake it.

Thanks!
DO NOT RETAKE YOUR SCORE IS FINE.
Posting again.

507 (126, 127, 128, 126) MCAT score, 3.4 GPA, URM

Planning to apply this upcoming cycle. Last time I was studying I scored 512-514 on most FL practice exams.
Would it be a boost to my app if I can raise my score to a 512-514 (assuming I'm scoring that on my FL's this time around) or is that just foolish?

Thanks for any advice.
A retake would give you more chances to higher tiered MD schools, but apply to your state schools and apply broadly. Your URM status should help.

Question about retakes:

I took the 1/19 test this year (509; 124/128/127/130) and have signed up for a retake on 9/05/2017. However, I am going to apply on the first day this cycle and do not want the fact that I have signed up for an MCAT retake to negatively impact my application. Specifically, I am worried about schools tabling my application until my 2nd MCAT score is returned. I am mostly applying to DO schools.

Does anyone know what the smartest path forward is? Do med schools not consider applications in the same way if they see a retake is scheduled?

504 mcat (127/124/125/128)=67th percentile overall, 3.6cgpa, 3.5 sgpa
five 1st author publications (another 2 under review)
applied MD and DO this cycle, got 5 interviews no acceptances

should i retake? was thinking of the June 17 exam, i prefer MD route
Your 5 interviews says your MCAT is ok. Did you get any MD interviews? I'd consider a retaking if you're really going for MD, but I'd also consider improving your interview skills. MCAT is fine for DO.

2 MD, 3 DO, primary verified in august, complete at all schools by mid-september
I'm planning on submitting on June 1st this cycle with the improved research experience and publications, updated PI LOR
Do you think the much earlier app submission and research will help? or should I submit June 1st and retake mcat June 30th
They'll help, especially if you're submitting much earlier.

At the same time though a better MCAT will definitely help your cause. If you can have everything submitted to schools before September you'll be in good shape. Just pre-write as many secondaries as you can and submit your primary to your schools the same day your new MCAT comes in.

I would definitely consider the retake if you think you can score 509+.

They'll help, especially if you're submitting much earlier.

At the same time though a better MCAT will definitely help your cause. If you can have everything submitted to schools before September you'll be in good shape. Just pre-write as many secondaries as you can and submit your primary to your schools the same day your new MCAT comes in.

I would definitely consider the retake if you think you can score 509+.

I'm trying to retake but I'm afraid I might do lower or just around a 508, wouldn't submitting June 1st and being complete early July with my current score and my publications still give me some kind of benefit? instead of being complete in September with just average stats even after the retake

I'm trying to retake but I'm afraid I might do lower or just around a 508, wouldn't submitting June 1st and being complete early July with my current score and my publications still give me some kind of benefit? instead of being complete in September with just average stats even after the retake
If you did a retake, you wouldn't be complete early September if you played it right. Submit your primary for verification ASAP but only send it to one school (a throwaway). That way you'll start the verification process. When you get your MCAT score in late july/early august, you'll already be verified and you can submit to your actual school list.

I'm contemplating on doing a retake for late July which gives me roughly ~70+ days to prepare while I'm also applying to med school. I took the MCAT last April and scored 500. (127/124/125/124). Should I go through with a retake and do you think I have enough time to prepare? My goal is 510+ and I don't have any commitments this summer.

I'm contemplating on doing a retake for late July which gives me roughly ~70+ days to prepare while I'm also applying to med school. I took the MCAT last April and scored 500. (127/124/125/124). Should I go through with a retake and do you think I have enough time to prepare? My goal is 510+ and I don't have any commitments this summer.
How much prep did you do the first time? Did you take the AAMC full lengths and if so how did those go? 70 days isn't a ton of time to jump from 500 to 510+.

How much prep did you do the first time? Did you take the AAMC full lengths and if so how did those go? 70 days isn't a ton of time to jump from 500 to 510+.

I had roughly 6 months prep the first go around, but honestly I didn't study as effectively as I should have because of extracurricular commitments and school. I do remember taking Kaplan and TPR FLs and I scored roughly 500s. I'm just asking if it is feasible to make that kind of score jump. I don't have any other commitments this summer so I can dedicate full time to studying for the MCAT.

I had roughly 6 months prep the first go around, but honestly I didn't study as effectively as I should have because of extracurricular commitments and school. I do remember taking Kaplan and TPR FLs and I scored roughly 500s. I'm just asking if it is feasible to make that kind of score jump. I don't have any other commitments this summer so I can dedicate full time to studying for the MCAT.
It is possible but I would make sure you are as certain as you can be that you'll reach a score you're happy with. Another mediocre score will only confirm the first.

Hi, I need some advice on MCAT. I took it the first time a couple years ago and made a 505. The second time I took it, last year, I made a 509. I am waitlisted currently at a school, but haven't received any other offers. GPA is at 3.6, and I honestly am not looking to take any post-bac courses to improve it.

I have taken quite a few more courses between my 509 MCAT and now, which is leaving me to feel confident that I can increase my score to at least a 512. Obviously, I can't know for sure. Do you think that I should try for a higher MCAT, or just keep my lower stats and work on my ECs the following year? I'm not shooting for the top MD program, just any MD program in my state of Texas that will take me (but preferably MD, rather than DO) Thanks.

Hi, I need some advice on MCAT. I took it the first time a couple years ago and made a 505. The second time I took it, last year, I made a 509. I am waitlisted currently at a school, but haven't received any other offers. GPA is at 3.6, and I honestly am not looking to take any post-bac courses to improve it.

I have taken quite a few more courses between my 509 MCAT and now, which is leaving me to feel confident that I can increase my score to at least a 512. Obviously, I can't know for sure. Do you think that I should try for a higher MCAT, or just keep my lower stats and work on my ECs the following year? I'm not shooting for the top MD program, just any MD program in my state of Texas that will take me (but preferably MD, rather than DO) Thanks.
Commonly cited Texas mentality is that schools of your state favor the GPA over the MCAT. Additionally, a 512 vs a 509 is a marginal difference and not worth a retake. Since you are on a waitlist, I would suggest that your stats are fine. I would call the school at which you are waitlisted to get advice on how to improve your application as well as any other schools that interviewed you.

Commonly cited Texas mentality is that schools of your state favor the GPA over the MCAT. Additionally, a 512 vs a 509 is a marginal difference and not worth a retake. Since you are on a waitlist, I would suggest that your stats are fine. I would call the school at which you are waitlisted to get advice on how to improve your application as well as any other schools that interviewed you.

Thank you- you are a psychic! After posting this message I actually emailed the school I am waitlisted at, and they told me my MCAT score was not a problem at all. So I think I'll stick with it :)

Hi everyone! Need some retake advice:

Undergrad GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.66
Graduate GPA: 3.82
MCAT: 504 (taken 3/31/17)

I have an undergrad degree in biology and a masters degree in nursing. I am currently working as an RN with over 1000 hours clinical experience. I've shadowed three doctors. EC's include undergrad research for a semester, volunteering at local free clinic, graduate research (including poster presentation), and working as a middle school youth director for 2 years in a rural setting. I have good rec letters from graduate professors and doctor.

I want to go to my in state school (there is only one here in GA aka MCG). According to MSAR my score puts me right above the 25th percentile MCAT score.

Should I retake to have a chance to get in? My application and rec letters are ready to submit. The earliest I could probably take it and be ready would be late July for a score release in late August. I am struggling with retaking because I only have 2 months to prep and I don't know if I can get it up to 508-509 (which is MCG's median score). Last time I took it I focused a lot on content which hurt me. I also was working nights which blew. Now I work M-F 8-5 so it would be tough but I can make it happen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate it!

Hi everyone! Need some retake advice:

Undergrad GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.66
Graduate GPA: 3.82
MCAT: 504 (taken 3/31/17)

I have an undergrad degree in biology and a masters degree in nursing. I am currently working as an RN with over 1000 hours clinical experience. I've shadowed three doctors. EC's include undergrad research for a semester, volunteering at local free clinic, graduate research (including poster presentation), and working as a middle school youth director for 2 years in a rural setting. I have good rec letters from graduate professors and doctor.

I want to go to my in state school (there is only one here in GA aka MCG). According to MSAR my score puts me right above the 25th percentile MCAT score.

Should I retake to have a chance to get in? My application and rec letters are ready to submit. The earliest I could probably take it and be ready would be late July for a score release in late August. I am struggling with retaking because I only have 2 months to prep and I don't know if I can get it up to 508-509 (which is MCG's median score). Last time I took it I focused a lot on content which hurt me. I also was working nights which blew. Now I work M-F 8-5 so it would be tough but I can make it happen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate it!
Hi! I think it's worth a retake. I went from a 505 to a 509 in a solid month's time. It would make your application more competitive

Hi! I think it's worth a retake. I went from a 505 to a 509 in a solid month's time. It would make your application more competitive

Thanks for the reply! If you don't mind me asking, what did you do (in general) to improve that score? More practice and less content? I thought I knew what I was doing before but now I'm not so confident :/

Thanks for the reply! If you don't mind me asking, what did you do (in general) to improve that score? More practice and less content? I thought I knew what I was doing before but now I'm not so confident :/

I'll copy/paste my post about my study strategies below!

Before I begin, I had only taken about half of the courses "required" for the MCAT, and I learned all the material using TPR. This advice is for people to see how someone could do the bare minimum it takes to get a 509, so if you want to get higher, do more than this lol.

1) Score: 509; 128/126/127/128
2) Method: I'm just at the score I need to be to comment on this section, so I'm going to level with all of you- I really only studied over the course of the month and did mostly practice tests. After the practice tests, I reviewed all the concepts I didn't understand using TPR and Khan Academy videos.
3) Materials: TPR only. I'm thinking it hurt me actually. The CARS section was SO MUCH EASIER on the practice tests than on the real MCAT!!!! Heed my advice- DO KAPLAN CARS. TPR was great for Chem/physics scores though!!! Oh and
4) Practice tests
I did about 9 TPR tests. My lowest score was a 498, highest was a 505. Chem/physics was consistently my lowest score and I never made above a 125 when studying with TPR. If anyone's interested I can post the breakdowns.
5) Major: Psychology
6) TIPS: Okay- I still need to take half of the courses the MCAT requires you to take. I hadn't taken ANY Ochem, never took a Biochem course in my life, and hadn't finished physics. I learned everything there is to know through TPR, and really tried to focus on those concepts while practicing. It is manageable, if you dedicate your time well. I also stimulated every single practice test like I was taking the real MCAT, which really helped endurance.
7) Length of Studying: I'm not very disciplined, so naturally I crammed all my studies into the Christmas Break before my MCAT exam. I had a solid four weeks to learn half the material on the exam and practice. By just making sure every day I was doing SOMETHING MCAT related for at least 10 hours that day (I took Friday nights off though), I was able to do as much as I can leading into the exam.

So my advice to you is: If you want to do better than a 509 on your MCAT exam, study two months, make sure you've taken at least ochem, and really try to mimic the test when you take it. Good luck!

MD program hopefully (don't really care where thou..CA resident)

506 (126/129/126/125)
cGPA:~3.63
sGPA:~3.55

should I retake?....(still going to apply this cycle thou)

507 (130/122/127/128)

cGPA: ~3.51
sGPA: ~3.37

I did TPR and I think it hurt my CARS score. I scored 125 on my first practice test before I started studying in CARS. No idea what happened. I graduated in 2012 and I have 5+ years of clinical research experience post-graduation, 2 publications, strong LOR from medical school professors who work at my clinic. I'm looking to get into an MD program. Last 5 classes I took in the past year were As (with 1 A-).

I scored in the 124-127 range on my practice tests on CARS... and I also had a 10/10/11 for the older version of the MCAT (2013).

I want to apply this cycle. I'm kind of lost on what to do...

Last edited:
507 (130/122/127/128)

cGPA: ~3.51
sGPA: ~3.37

I did TPR and I think it hurt my CARS score. I scored 125 on my first practice test before I started studying in CARS. No idea what happened. I graduated in 2012 and I have 5+ years of clinical research experience post-graduation, 2 publications, strong LOR from medical school professors who work at my clinic. I'm looking to get into an MD program. Last 5 classes I took in the past year were As (with 1 A-).

I scored in the 124-127 range on my practice tests on CARS... and I also had a 10/10/11 for the older version of the MCAT (2013).

I want to apply this cycle. I'm kind of lost on what to do...

Not necessarily an expert, but from what I've seen around SDN and read for some schools on the MSAR, your CARS score will get you screened out from MD programs. You have great EC's/research but your GPA is low and MCAT is unbalanced. You have a couple options:
1) apply broadly to DO
2) retake and raise CARS a few points (125 at least) <--- make MCAT near 510 to compensate for low GPA

The average US MD matriculant(from AAMC 2016-2017 data) had a 3.70 cGPA and 508.7 MCAT (127,126,127,127). Stats are unfortunately, what will get you to the door, but EC's and your interview will get you through.

MD program hopefully (don't really care where thou..CA resident)

506 (126/129/126/125)
cGPA:~3.63
sGPA:~3.55

should I retake?....(still going to apply this cycle thou)

Can apply broadly to DO. Otherwise retake and focus on raising other three sections besides CARS. A score > 510 would make you a much more competitive applicant (especially in CA where it already is super competitive)

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Would moderators consider updating this thread with new MCAT scores and recommendations?

I need help. I scored a 506 on the May 18th MCAT. Issue is it's really uneven, with lowest scores in science sections.

Breakdown is 123/128/125/130.

I knew I did bad on C/P, but most people felt like crap about it so I was hoping the curve would be better. I thought I did well on B/B and 128 is the lowest I scored on CARS on all my practice exams.

I don't know what to do. Should I retake? I figure the 123 will automatically throw me out of most MD schools....

I need help. I scored a 506 on the May 18th MCAT. Issue is it's really uneven, with lowest scores in science sections.

I knew I did bad on C/P, but most people felt like crap about it so I was hoping the curve would be better. I thought I did well on B/B and 128 is the lowest I scored on CARS on all my practice exams.

I don't know what to do. Should I retake? I figure the 123 will automatically throw me out of most MD schools....

What did you get on the AAMC FLs? Depending on your scores on those (particularly in the sciences), I suggest you hold off on the retake. If you have been scoring high on the sciences, then this might be a fluke. But if those scores are somewhat in line with your science scores on the practice tests then I think it is best that you postpone the retake till a later date. The good thing is you have no problem with CARS and that is usually the hardest to improve. The sciences are the easiest to improve if you put in the time to understand rather than memorize the information and practice^10. I think your scores may be good for DO but yea the 123 may keep you out of MD schools.

I think for MD schools a retake is necessary. Focus on the sciences.

Status
Not open for further replies.