Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I just started UPenn Postbac pre-health program due to my low gpa and am taking upper level science courses that I intend to knock out of the park.
  • sGPA: 3.31 cGPA: 3.31 (with postbac possibly a 3.4)
  • upward trend from freshman/sophomore/first half of junior year ~3.0 to ~3.8 for last 1/3 of my college career
  • MCAT: Old (30: phys: 09, Verbal: 10, Bio: 11) - taken january 2015 (last possible old version)
  • my extracurriculars are good (research/clinical exp/volunteering all above suggested range)
should I take the new one (would take it in april)? I haven't started studying yet but I'm fairly sure I could do well and might need it to offset my low GPA (prob ~3.4)

thank you

I just started UPenn Postbac pre-health program due to my low gpa and am taking upper level science courses that I intend to knock out of the park.
  • sGPA: 3.31 cGPA: 3.31 (with postbac possibly a 3.4)
  • upward trend from freshman/sophomore/first half of junior year ~3.0 to ~3.8 for last 1/3 of my college career
  • MCAT: Old (30: phys: 09, Verbal: 10, Bio: 11) - taken january 2015 (last possible old version)
  • my extracurriculars are good (research/clinical exp/volunteering all above suggested range)
should I take the new one (would take it in april)? I haven't started studying yet but I'm fairly sure I could do well and might need it to offset my low GPA (prob ~3.4)

thank you

unless you feel good taking mcat again, i think you should just apply DO with mcat you have now and bring up the GPA w the postbac

Members don't see this ad :)
502. 126/124/126/126.

3.89 GPA, and I don't know my science GPA but I know it's higher, not lower.

Worked as an MA for a semester. Have almost 2000 hours of service projects (summer mission trips). Working on publishing research. About 30 hours of job shadowing. Student Association President this year.

Looking for going to Loma Linda Medical School

Any chance?

3.6 GPA.
first time taking it: 508: 131/122/130/125.
2nd time taking it 503: 127/123/128/125 (2 months later. i was scoring higher on practice tests and improving a lot on CARS)
Did i just ruin chances of getting into an MD school and should i just do DO now?

3.6 GPA.
2nd time taking it 503: 127/123/128/125 (2 months later. i was scoring higher on practice tests and improving a lot on CARS)
Did i just ruin chances of getting into an MD school and should i just do DO now?

Your MD chances are slim to non, and DO schools won't find the dip sexy, despite what your tango dancing instructor has told you.

If you do retake, you gotta reck it, nothing lower than a 510.

Your MD chances are slim to non, and DO schools won't find the dip sexy, despite what your tango dancing instructor has told you.

If you do retake, you gotta reck it, nothing lower than a 510.
I'm a Junior right now and gonna be applying next cycle. I'm surprised myself that it went down. even DO schools wont like a 27? I know someone who took it 4 times. The 4th time was a 27 and the highest the person scored and now they go to a DO school.

I'm a Junior right now and gonna be applying next cycle. I'm surprised myself that it went down. even DO schools wont like a 27? I know someone who took it 4 times. The 4th time was a 27 and the highest the person scored and now they go to a DO school.

It's not the 27. It's the fact that he dipped. 27 is fine for DO school.

3.6 GPA.

I don't think a drop from 131 to 127 and 130to 128 is that horrible for DO schools. It'll be the CARS that might hinder your options.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

My first time taking the MCAT I got a 495 but scored a 506 on the AAMC FL - any tips for how to improve? I think I just got unlucky with the test version, but I want to be ready for the next time I take one.

I am a 2nd year pharmacy student (PY2) with the intention of applying to medical school May 2018. I would be applying with a pharmD and as of now my GPA is a 3.97. the problem is my MCAT score is a 501. 126 chem/ 126 psych / 124 cars/ 125 biochem. Should I retake it? I am pretty terrible at taking standardized tests and I studied all summer, so I do not see this score improving significantly. Thoughts

I am a 2nd year pharmacy student (PY2) with the intention of applying to medical school May 2018. I would be applying with a pharmD and as of now my GPA is a 3.97. the problem is my MCAT score is a 501. 126 chem/ 126 psych / 124 cars/ 125 biochem. Should I retake it? I am pretty terrible at taking standardized tests and I studied all summer, so I do not see this score improving significantly. Thoughts

Why are you quitting pharmacy school? Isn't that like 80K in the hole?

Thank you for the response.

I am only interested in MD however do I have a chance? Could i possibly apply to yet another post-bac program after that or is that overkill?

I plan to kill it this year, retake it anyway because some med schools, for 2018, require the new MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I retake?
505 124/126/127/128
cGPA & sGPA: around 3.4
Undergrad: UofM
lots of volunteering and clinical experience

planning to apply to MD and DO schools?

cGPA: 3.88, sGPA: 3.75
Undergrad: USC
MCAT: 512 128/127/128/129

I'm not sure if I should retake. I understand my GPA is high enough, but I'm not confident with my LORs. I definitely know I can get good ones from my research professor and the doctor I shadow, but getting science LORs will be hard (especially since I graduated May 2016). In terms of ECS, I have 2+ years of research experience, 1 year of volunteering at a clinic, and I was a member of an organization but did not hold any leadership positions. I am also a California resident and Asian. I figured a higher mcat score would increase my chances at an MD, given the other stuff I just mentioned.

I'm not sure if I should retake. I understand my GPA is high enough, but I'm not confident with my LORs. I definitely know I can get good ones from my research professor and the doctor I shadow, but getting science LORs will be hard (especially since I graduated May 2016). In terms of ECS, I have 2+ years of research experience, 1 year of volunteering at a clinic, and I was a member of an organization but did not hold any leadership positions. I am also a California resident and Asian. I figured a higher mcat score would increase my chances at an MD, given the other stuff I just mentioned.
Fellow Trojan here. Congrats on the stellar GPAs my friend, you crushed it. With regards to your MCAT, take a step back and think logically here. What is the best case scenario with a retake? You are already sitting at the 88th percentile, and a drop in score would not reflect well. I would say the risks outweigh the rewards personally, and that isn't even considering the hell that is studying for the MCAT.

With regards to chances, you might want to check out the WAMC forum here and those with more credentials than me can offer better advice. Your statistics are very solid and will definitely not be the limiting factor for you getting to medical school. Off the cuff, it kinda sounds like your extra curricular activities are box checked stereotypical 'pre-med' things. There is a reason these things are so common though, and I don't think that's necessarily a deficit. Hopefully you have entertained additional hobbies, as I have found most Trojans do.

With regards to the idea that it will be hard to get science LOR since you are a whopping 5 months out of college, you are being ridiculous. With that GPA, there has to be a couple professors that remember you. And if they don't, just straight up email professors that you have had. Profs are in situations where they are asked by students they don't remember for letters of recommendation all the time. Just phrase your request with a little memory prodding like 'hello prof X, I had you for my xyz class and earned an [insert grade]. I really enjoyed x about your course and the way you taught z. I will be applying to medical school next fall and would be honored if you would write me a letter of recommendation. Please let me know if I can provide you additional information if you are comfortable with this idea. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, kbrl2617" You can definitely make it happen with a little work. If you don't ask, they can't say yes. If you get rejected a few times, so what. It only takes a couple. Definitely invest the time in getting science/professor LOR though, since it will be odd for such a recent graduate to lack them. Good luck and Fight On.

3.88 cGPA & 3.83 sGPA
511: 130/123/130/128
3+ years research experience
>150 hrs clinical volunteering
~80 hrs shadowing

:( thoughts?

3.88 cGPA & 3.83 sGPA
511: 130/123/130/128
3+ years research experience
>150 hrs clinical volunteering
~80 hrs shadowing

:( thoughts?
you probably won't be competitive at the top 20, but you can absolutely get into a fantastic medical school

Reactions: 1 user
MCAT: 505
cGPA and sGPA: 3.9
ECs and all that are good (research, clinical, volunteering, shadowing, etc.)

Applying this cycle, just want an opinion on if I should retake if I don't get in anywhere.

thoughts?

MCAT: 505
cGPA and sGPA: 3.9
ECs and all that are good (research, clinical, volunteering, shadowing, etc.)

Applying this cycle, just want an opinion on if I should retake if I don't get in anywhere.

thoughts?
your MCAT is lower than your GPA would predict, so it might be a weak point. my school suggests at least a 507 for being a competitive applicant, but having strong rec letters, ecs, and essays could offset your score. just depends where you want to get in!

510 MCAT 129/123/131/127
cGPA: 3.86
Decent ECs with ~2 yrs clinical volunteering and research

With the CARS mishap, do I even stand a chance ? Feeling really down..

Ist MCAT- 499 126/122/125/126
2nd MCAT - 504 124/124/127/129

cGPA-3.9
sGPA-3.8

Lots of clinical hours >1000hours
100 hours volunteering
>20 hours shadowing
research no publication

Thoughts ?

510 MCAT 129/123/131/127
cGPA: 3.86
Decent ECs with ~2 yrs clinical volunteering and research

With the CARS mishap, do I even stand a chance ? Feeling really down..
There are people this cycle getting IIs with 123 (which is about a 7 on the old exam) on CARS. I'd say beef up your ECs and apply.

Reactions: 1 users
MCAT: 506, 128/125/124/129
GPA: will be a 3.7ish when I apply

Not applying till next cycle. Have no idea what happened in bio section, took numerous practice exams and didn't score anywhere near that low. Felt CARS was rough after leaving exam, but did much better in CARS in practice exams as well.

ECs and all are good. Want to go MD, should I retake?

Just got my score back last week and definitely not sure if I should retake...

MCAT: 509 (129/124/128/128)
cGPA: will be 3.6-3.65 by next cycle
sGPA: will be 3.45-3.5
plenty of research experience, clinical experience, some leadership, some community service

Do I have a chance at MD schools? Is my CARS just too low too apply? Trying to get into Philly/NY MD programs hopefully. Any advice is appreciated!

MCAT: 506, 128/125/124/129
GPA: will be a 3.7ish when I apply

Not applying till next cycle. Have no idea what happened in bio section, took numerous practice exams and didn't score anywhere near that low. Felt CARS was rough after leaving exam, but did much better in CARS in practice exams as well.

ECs and all are good. Want to go MD, should I retake?
Are you URM? If you have time to study again and score 510+ I'd say a retake would open a lot more doors for you. That 124 on BB is kinda iffy but if you apply broadly to lower tier/state schools I think you still have a shot if everything else on your app is good. But again a retake would definitely improve your chances.

Just got my score back last week and definitely not sure if I should retake...

MCAT: 509 (129/124/128/128)
cGPA: will be 3.6-3.65 by next cycle
sGPA: will be 3.45-3.5
plenty of research experience, clinical experience, some leadership, some community service

Do I have a chance at MD schools? Is my CARS just too low too apply? Trying to get into Philly/NY MD programs hopefully. Any advice is appreciated!
Your CARS score shouldn't hold you back (see my post #4330). However I'd try to boost your sGPA as much as you can before applying. Apply broadly and you should be good. If you want a better chance at mid-tiers or some higher-tiers you might want to retake, but that is up to you :)

~3.7 GPA (entirely A's last 3 semesters/"hardest" classes) at university level
MCAT 503 (126/123/129/125)
tons of volunteer (altruistic and clinical)
research internship at mayo clinic, + publication or two
applying to instate public MD programs in GA next cycle

should i retake mcat? i taught myself physics II before mcat and taking actual course now but prob wouldn't be able to study a ton w/ research+classes
Retake if you want a better shot at MD. Your stats should be fine for DO.

MCAT: 508 (128/125/127/128)
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.52
undergrad: research with publication, tons of community service and leadership (both non-clinical and clinical)

2017 app cycle: 2 MD interviews so far, both leading to wait lists (one at my top choice, the other is top 5)

I'm a recent grad and currently working full time in a clinical role. My biggest fear is that if I don't get accepted off the wait list this round, my chances will not have improved for the 2018 cycle. I have spoken with an adcom after getting rejected to their school this cycle who told me the rejection was purely because of my statistics. I am thinking about the March 2017 MCAT, but have not yet committed to studying again. Any thoughts/ suggestions for retaking MCAT?

MCAT: 508 (128/125/127/128)
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.52
undergrad: research with publication, tons of community service and leadership (both non-clinical and clinical)

2017 app cycle: 2 MD interviews so far, both leading to wait lists (one at my top choice, the other is top 5)

I'm a recent grad and currently working full time in a clinical role. My biggest fear is that if I don't get accepted off the wait list this round, my chances will not have improved for the 2018 cycle. I have spoken with an adcom after getting rejected to their school this cycle who told me the rejection was purely because of my statistics. I am thinking about the March 2017 MCAT, but have not yet committed to studying again. Any thoughts/ suggestions for retaking MCAT?
Basically in the same boat,except I will be applying next cycle.

I will be applying next cycle and was wondering if I should retake before then.
Right now I have a 507 (126, 127, 128, 126) but my practice tests were and average of 5 points higher with at least one point gain in each category. (512 avg)

I am a pretty average applicant with a 3.4GPA, but great EC's

Hi all,

I took the MCAT in 2015 and scored well overall, but did so in an unusual fashion:

MCAT 10/15: Overall 513 (90%); Chem/Phys 125 (57%); CARS 130 (98%); Bio/Biochem 126 (67%); Psych/Soc 132 (100%)

I'm receiving significant pressure from my pre-medical advisers to retake "in order to be competitive for MD programs." I imagine this is due, in part, to my unimpressive 3.57 cGPA and 3.38 sGPA (albeit from a notoriously difficult institution) combined with middling science MCAT scores.

Should I retake in an attempt to raise my science scores? My advisers argue that my science scores equate to roughly 8.4/9.5 on the old exam and they claim 10's are needed to be competitive for MD programs. I would rather not retake as I plan on taking another course (taking two currently, while working full-time and serving as COO of a small non-profit) next semester before applying, which would reduce my capacity to study for the exam significantly (especially considering the time needed to prep the rest of my application).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi all,

I took the MCAT in 2015 and scored well overall, but did so in an unusual fashion:

MCAT 10/15: Overall 513 (90%); Chem/Phys 125 (57%); CARS 130 (98%); Bio/Biochem 126 (67%); Psych/Soc 132 (100%)

I'm receiving significant pressure from my pre-medical advisers to retake "in order to be competitive for MD programs." I imagine this is due, in part, to my unimpressive 3.57 cGPA and 3.38 sGPA (albeit from a notoriously difficult institution) combined with middling science MCAT scores.

Should I retake in an attempt to raise my science scores? My advisers argue that my science scores equate to roughly 8.4/9.5 on the old exam and they claim 10's are needed to be competitive for MD programs. I would rather not retake as I plan on taking another course (taking two currently, while working full-time and serving as COO of a small non-profit) next semester before applying, which would reduce my capacity to study for the exam significantly (especially considering the time needed to prep the rest of my application).

My 2 cents as a someone who is also asking for advice, I say don't retake it. Sure, its a bit unbalanced, but if the rest of your app is strong then I think you'll be fine. I think your EC's is what will make or break ya.

I'm currently applying this cycle, with only 1 interview so far. All though it went really well, I want to have a backup plan in case I don't match.

I took the MCAT August 2015 with a score of 505, and January 2016 with a score of 509, 128/126/127/128. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.5. I feel like I can do better the third time around, but at this point, is taking the MCAT a third time even worth it? I know my score won't go down.

I'm applying this cycle to MSTP programs, but I kind of shot from the hip because I have yet to take biochem, finished Orgo 2 and Physics 2 over the summer, and took the MCAT a week after those finals (Aug. 20). I surprisingly still did well, but I am worried about that one 125.

Here are my scores:

Chemical and physical foundations: 125
CARS: 129
Biological and Biochemical Foundations: 129
Psychological and Social Foundations: 132
Total: 515

GPA > 3.9

All I had time to study was biochem (since I never had it) and biology. I have two interviews and I feel like I have a good shot at least at one of the schools because I have been working full time in a lab at that university, and my PI wants to keep me around, but if I am not accepted should I study and improve that 125 score?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am in a similar situation as you are!! You did better on the CARS though :/ I did do well on one of the science portions, just not the other. I would listen to your adviser unless you think you will not do as well on the CARS and the Psychology section if you took it again.

Last edited:
Should I Retake?
Reapplicant, 1 interview into a waitlist for the 15'-16' cycle
Undergrad: Cornell U
MCAT: 513

Undergrad cGPA: 3.5
Undergrad sGPA: 3.18
U Penn Postbacc sGPA: 3.93 (4 classes, taking 4 more this semester)

GPA will improve significantly because I only took the bare minimum pre-med requirements at Cornell. I was a business major.

The reason I think retaking would be a positive is that now I have a much stronger biological basis. I also only had 5.5 weeks last time to study for the MCAT due to an internship. I feel that if I take like 8 weeks to study I will do much better. I also think that as a reapplicant, the admission committees always compare your previous application to your new one.

Let me know what you guys think!

Should I retake the new version? Applying next cycle, with:
Old MCAT score 31 (PS 10 BS 10 VR 11)
GPA 3.67
sGPA 3.52

Re-applicant with 2 interviews to wait list in the 2014-2015 cycle. I have time to study now for the MCAT--took the old version without much preparation. I do have an interesting job within the tech/medical field right now, and 2 great recommendations lined up, as well as other run-of-the-mill ECs when in college.

So I got a 512 but it is super uneven. I got 132 on CARS an 129 on Psych but then got a 125 and 126 on the physical sciences and bio :(

I feel like I should retake to show that I can do better on the hard sciences because of my gpa.
My GPA is ~3.3 from top 30 school as Bio major and I am a first gen African immigrant

I think it was mostly because I tried to cram physics and Orgo and overestimated my abilities on bio

I'm scared of getting a lower score though

Last edited:

Very balanced score!! Don't retake

2016 MCAT score: 511
Breakdown- CARS 130 (98%), Bio 126 (67%), Psych/Soc 128 (86%), Chem/Phys 127 (79%)
Undergrad GPA at Emory - 3.80, BCPM: 3.68

Super super torn on whether to retake on the April date before applying this cycle. I am historically a good standardized test taker and expected to break the 514ish mark overall based on my practice tests and was very surprised by my Bio score, especially since I am a biology major and consider that to be much more of a strong suit. I would be very worried if I retook Chem/Phys would go down as that is much more of an academic weakness.

Any advice would be so appreciated I have been going back and forth for months since I got the scores back

2016 MCAT score: 511
Breakdown- CARS 130 (98%), Bio 126 (67%), Psych/Soc 128 (86%), Chem/Phys 127 (79%)
Undergrad GPA at Emory - 3.80, BCPM: 3.68

Super super torn on whether to retake on the April date before applying this cycle. I am historically a good standardized test taker and expected to break the 514ish mark overall based on my practice tests and was very surprised by my Bio score, especially since I am a biology major and consider that to be much more of a strong suit. I would be very worried if I retook Chem/Phys would go down as that is much more of an academic weakness.

Any advice would be so appreciated I have been going back and forth for months since I got the scores back
Your MCAT won't be the factor keeping you out of med school. What schools are you aiming for?

Hi all,

So I just got my score back:

511 overall (86%)
127 (79%) / 128 (90%) / 125 (56%) / 131 (99%)

I am happy with the overall score but worried about the B/B section score.
GPA ~3.67 and have solid extracurriculars, some research, and listed on a publication, and I believe my letters will also be solid.

How is this for MD programs? Should I retake? I am applying this cycle.

Last edited:
3.15 cGPA
3.01 sGPA
Excellent ECs and letters
1500+ hrs clinical experience and volunteering

1/19 test taker: 509 (82%) 124/128/127/130
45%/90%/78%/97%

Should I retake?

I want to become a physician. Any school within the US would do. I would love any feedback!

My practice tests were higher and I thought I was on track for 513 so please don't skewer me for posting a WAMC thread as if I had that score- just wanted to know f I stood a chance at that score :(

Hi!
I just got back my scores from the Jan exam:
509 overall (82%)
C/P : 123 (33%), CARS: 129 (95%), B/B: 128 (87%), P/S: 129 (92%)
Obviously my worry is about my really low C/P score. Will this really hurt me? Is it worth it to take the MCAT again and possibly have to push my application back a cycle?
Thanks!

Hi!
509 overall (82%)
Obviously my worry is about my really low C/P score. Will this really hurt me? Is it worth it to take the MCAT again and possibly have to push my application back a cycle?
Thanks!

So similar!

Hi!
509 overall (82%)
Thanks!
I think the material should be fresh enough in your mind where you can spend a month refreshing your memory on the other topics, 3 weeks focusing on C/P, 3 weeks taking FL and take it every early May (even late April) and still apply early this cycle.
To test if this is possible, buy the AAMC flashcards and spend an hour or 2 seeing how much you remember. If a lot, you can probably take it again in about 7 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.