Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
So my mcat score was a 503
C/P: 124
Crit: 127
Bio: 126
Psych: 126

SGPA: 3.5 and cGPA: 3.6

The only reason my GPA is so low is because of bombing organic1&2 with a D but then I retook and got A's and now I'm tutoring it!
Do you think I should retake the mcat at this point?

I don't plan on applying DO even though I know it's a better shot. I want to do an MD for sure.
I'm definitely applying to my state schools who's avg mcat is a 502, and avg GPA a 3.7

But my goals are in MD or VA, specially George Washington or Georgetown

I'm a BS in Bio and Psych and a minor in Stats, and I've been doing research for almost 4yrs with a publication under revision!
I have tons of leadership positions in many science organizations along with a job in Occupational therapy, and a lot of volunteering experience.
I'm a current senior in college

What do you guys think of my info in terms of my chances and whether I should retake the mcat?

I'm getting mixed feedback on just how damning my low bio score is. Thoughts?

127/127/125/130-->509

My cGPA is 3.96. BCPM is 4.0

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my scores today and got a 516 overall (95th percentile). I'm a little worried about my score breakdown.

Chem - 129 (93rd) CARS - 125 (62nd) Bio - 131 (99th) Psych - 131 (99th)

The percentile for my CARS is about a 9 on the old verbal. I'm surprised I did so well on the other sections but the verbal seems anomalous. I'm genuinely wondering if I should retake the exam. I was hoping to include a few top schools in my list like Northwestern and UChicago but not sure if it makes sense now. Otherwise, I'm thinking of UIC, Loyola, SLU, and a some DO, probably Midwestern.

Should I retake? I'm a sophomore and applying next year.
June 18th: 508
131/122/130/125
Literally its the CARS section thats leaning me towards retaking. My average on 9 Next Step Exams was a 505. If it wasn't for CARS, i would have been very happy with my score.
Overall GPA: 3.6. Science is 3.5

131/122/130/125
Literally its the CARS section thats leaning me towards retaking. My average on 9 Next Step Exams was a 505. If it wasn't for CARS, i would have been very happy with my score.

I would retake. There are schools that screen for subscores below 124, and a 122 is pretty low tbh. You're only a sophomore, so you have plenty time for a retake.

Reactions: 1 user
511: 129 123 132 127. I swear, I started good at CARS and used to average 127 and 128 every full length. I got worse and worse at CARS the better I got at science. All of a sudden after 3 months (had to postpone my test due to bad CARS score on my last FL) I kept getting 122-125. But that 100% on bio though...I don't want to retake and do worse!

I'm applying this cycle.

131/122/130/125

what were you scoring on the NS CARS section?

511: 129 123 132 127. I swear, I started good at CARS and used to average 127 and 128 every full length. I got worse and worse at CARS the better I got at science. All of a sudden after 3 months (had to postpone my test due to bad CARS score on my last FL) I kept getting 122-125. But that 100% on bio though...I don't want to retake and do worse!

I'm applying this cycle.

what state are you from? your state schools might be more forgiving of the 123

In order: 123 - 127 - 125 - 121 - 125 - 124 - 125 - 126 - 125

I think you should retake but not until you are getting 126/127s consistently on your FL cars scores, your next step cars scores seem pretty inconsistent and I think you have some room for improvement

I think you should retake but not until you are getting 126/127s consistently on your FL cars scores, your next step cars scores seem pretty inconsistent and I think you have some room for improvement
what would be another good CARS source? i have done all of NS exams, all of the AAMC materials. Should I use Kaplan/TPR/Altius/Examkrackers? How could I improve CARS mainly

Members don't see this ad :)
what would be another good CARS source? i have done all of NS exams, all of the AAMC materials. Should I use Kaplan/TPR/Altius/Examkrackers? How could I improve CARS mainly

I took the 7/8 exam so I haven't received my CARS score yet but I scored a 126 on cars (I know, not amazing but it will do) on all of my NS 1-6 exams, I also took EK 3 and 4 (60-61% overall) so I'm hoping to make at least a 125 on that section on the real exam.

What helped me with the CARS is learning how to to READ the passage effectively the first time and just formulating a few words of the main idea in my head as I answered the questions. Taking notes didn't really work for me but doing a bunch of passages definately did. Try getting the next step cars passage book (very difficult) and then doing the CARS on EK exams-I thought those were a great combo of resources and made the aamc passages seem easier to comprehend

I hope it helps!

I took the 7/8 exam so I haven't received my CARS score yet but I scored a 126 on cars (I know, not amazing but it will do) on all of my NS 1-6 exams, I also took EK 3 and 4 (60-61% overall) so I'm hoping to make at least a 125 on that section on the real exam.

What helped me with the CARS is learning how to to READ the passage effectively the first time and just formulating a few words of the main idea in my head as I answered the questions. Taking notes didn't really work for me but doing a bunch of passages definately did. Try getting the next step cars passage book (very difficult) and then doing the CARS on EK exams-I thought those were a great combo of resources and made the aamc passages seem easier to comprehend

I hope it helps!
Appreciate it!!

I am not sure if my score is good for MD or DO.
I got 497 overall
C/P 122 , CARS, 122 B/B 127 P/S 126

GPA: 3.77

Do you think I have any chance?

I am not sure if my score is good for MD or DO.
I got 497 overall
C/P 122 , CARS, 122 B/B 127 P/S 126

GPA: 3.77

Do you think I have any chance?

I personally think it'd be a waste of your money to apply to a lot of MD schools. I would apply to your public IS school(s). Other than that DO would be my recommendation.

I personally think it'd be a waste of your money to apply to a lot of MD schools. I would apply to your public IS school(s). Other than that DO would be my recommendation.

I don't wanna come off as a dick but I don't think even DO schools would take a 497

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I scored a 511
C/P 129, CARS 128, B/B 128, and P/S 126.
sciGPA: 4.0, cGPA: 3.98

I have heard that 511 is above average (and my scores for each section are pretty balanced), and with my GPA, I should not have a problem being accepted in at least some schools. However, the only reason I am concerned is that I am specifically hoping to be accepted by TX medical schools, ideally UTMB Galveston. I am a TX resident

Let me know if it is worth the risk to retake, or if I have a good chance as it is. Thanks!

I scored a 511
C/P 129, CARS 128, B/B 128, and P/S 126.
sciGPA: 4.0, cGPA: 3.98

I have heard that 511 is above average (and my scores for each section are pretty balanced), and with my GPA, I should not have a problem being accepted in at least some schools. However, the only reason I am concerned is that I am specifically hoping to be accepted by TX medical schools, ideally UTMB Galveston. I am a TX resident

Let me know if it is worth the risk to retake, or if I have a good chance as it is. Thanks!

As long as you have a half decent list of EC's and you feel confident about your LORs you should be fine. You're in a better boat than a lot of people

Time for my neuroses.

I got a 513 (90%) on the MCAT this June- it was very balanced. However, I was scoring about 517 before I took it on AAMC practice exam.

Should I retake? I know it is a score that can get me into schools, but I am still on the fence about applying MD/PhD, and I believe that is a terrible score for MSTP programs. I can just apply MD and try to get in internally...but I would like to have a chance. My cGPA is a 3.80

I think the reason I scored lower was no sleep despite taking measures to make sure it wouldn't happen.

If I retook it I would be concerned some jitters would get to me again, especially since the pressure would be more intense.

Also, I work very full time (at least 50 hr/wk) and volunteer for about 10 hr/wk and do other stuff.

Any advice for if I should definitely retake? I will have 3 gap years too (applying next cycle), two years at NIH, one TBD.

Thanks!

Are you willing to risk getting a lower score just for the slim chance of getting higher than your practice tests? Next time you take it, many many things may go wrong. Even if you get a 515, will you be happy? Its really not worth it, especially paired with your decent GPA. The test is changing, so may your score.

Time for my neuroses.

I got a 513 (90%) on the MCAT this June- it was very balanced. However, I was scoring about 517 before I took it on AAMC practice exam.

Should I retake? I know it is a score that can get me into schools, but I am still on the fence about applying MD/PhD, and I believe that is a terrible score for MSTP programs. I can just apply MD and try to get in internally...but I would like to have a chance. My cGPA is a 3.80

I think the reason I scored lower was no sleep despite taking measures to make sure it wouldn't happen.

If I retook it I would be concerned some jitters would get to me again, especially since the pressure would be more intense.

Also, I work very full time (at least 50 hr/wk) and volunteer for about 10 hr/wk and do other stuff.

Any advice for if I should definitely retake? I will have 3 gap years too (applying next cycle), two years at NIH, one TBD.

Thanks!
Chill lol
Dont retake!

I heard that the TPR CARS workbook is the next best resource for CARS practice after the AAMC material. I would also second doing your best to read a passage and understand it fully the first time and then answer the questions.

I heard that the TPR CARS workbook is the next best resource for CARS practice after the AAMC material. I would also second doing your best to read a passage and understand it fully the first time and then answer the questions.

After taking the real mcat, I half agree with it. Yes, the question style is similar in that it is more main idea based.

But the real mcat passages were way long and knocked me off guard. It was totally unexpected. By the way, if saying this is against aamc policy, please let me know.

Reactions: 2 users
After taking the real mcat, I half agree with it. Yes, the question style is similar in that it is more main idea based.

But the real mcat passages were way long and knocked me off guard. It was totally unexpected. By the way, if saying this is against aamc policy, please let me know.

I think you are good haha. In hindsight, what materials would you use to prepare for CARS again then?

Are you willing to risk getting a lower score just for the slim chance of getting higher than your practice tests? Next time you take it, many many things may go wrong. Even if you get a 515, will you be happy? Its really not worth it, especially paired with your decent GPA. The test is changing, so may your score.
Yeah, this is basically my feelings on it. I know the test is changing AGAIN, and even if I got a 515, it would only average to a 514. Not really worth it...

Of course I could study a lot to try to get a 520+, but I feel like those are mostly luck anyway (getting subjects you are very familiar with on test day, etc)

Yeah, this is basically my feelings on it. I know the test is changing AGAIN, and even if I got a 515, it would only average to a 514. Not really worth it...

Of course I could study a lot to try to get a 520+, but I feel like those are mostly luck anyway (getting subjects you are very familiar with on test day, etc)
what do you mean by the test is changing again? How is it, if you dont mind me asking

Exactly, diminishing returns. Much harder to reach the upper echelons vs 500->505.

what do you mean by the test is changing again? How is it, if you dont mind me asking

Each test is getting harder in different ways. Last year's administrations were biochem, amino acid focused. This cycle it is CP, some PS focuses. It is also becoming more of a reasoning test, which is why the prep companies are having difficulty putting out accurate materials. AAMC will throw in a convoluted topic and expect you to parse out the important content and analyze it. Useful, but definitely a different way of thinking than the knowledge requirements of yesteryear.

Exactly, diminishing returns. Much harder to reach the upper echelons vs 500->505.

Each test is getting harder in different ways. Last year's administrations were biochem, amino acid focused. This cycle it is CP, some PS focuses. It is also becoming more of a reasoning test, which is why the prep companies are having difficulty putting out accurate materials. AAMC will throw in a convoluted topic and expect you to parse out the important content and analyze it. Useful, but definitely a different way of thinking than the knowledge requirements of yesteryear.
huh so I guess the MCAT in general is becoming more of a test that you cant really develop skills for over a short amount of time then. That bodes well for some and terribly for others...

I think you are good haha. In hindsight, what materials would you use to prepare for CARS again then?

In hindsight, the Princeton review, exam crackers (with a grain of salt), and aamc.

Testing solutions if you want something really hard, but it's not too representative. It truly is a humbling experience.

Don't buy into that slow reading bs that's out there. The haste is real my friend.

Currently I am on 2 waitlists for MD. My MCAT score was horrible and I applied late, but I got interviews...so I'm confused if it was the interview (I felt great after them) or if it's my MCAT.

1.) MCAT: 495 (122/124/123/126)
2.) 3.3 overall undergrad, 3.1 science undergrad, 3.88 science postbacc

great letters, great personal statement, great extracurriculars, first generation, I also applied late September.
mind if i ask what schools?

I got a 504 overall on the 7/8 exam
Breakdown: (127/124/125/128) = 504 (67th percentile, 28 on old scale)
Will I get screened because of the 124 in cars?
I was expecting a higher bio section since I averaged 127-128 on my full lengths so I don't know what happened

I have a 3.64 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa and impressive ECs (abstracts, publications) do I stand a chance at any MD schools? I'm a California resident but open to applying out of state

I took the exam last year and got a 498 (125/121/125/127) so I'm content with the 6 point jump I'm just not sure what I would do differently if I were to retake

Thanks for your feedback!

504 (67th percentile~28 old scale) with a breakdown of 127, 124, 127, 126. On my app I have 2000+ hours of clinical work as an ER tech, college athlete, research award at my university, and other solid ECs. GPA is a 3.3 science and cumulative with a huge upward trend due to a friend dying and changing my major from ChemE freshman year (like 2.0, 3.5, 3.8, 3.9).

I was hoping for a 507+, but I got what I put in I guess. I only used Princeton Review Complete MCAT book and some Khan Academy videos. Didn't have the funds to buy a real set of books unfortunately. Applied to my 1 instate MD school and 2 OOS DO schools. Definitely planning to retake if I don't get in because my scores bother me, but any ideas of OOS MD schools I'd have a chance at? I'm not aware of any, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Best of luck to everyone retaking/applying!

Edit: also looking for some advice on what test prep to use. Had been looking at using EK, but was also hoping for some opinions on that.

Last edited:
GPA 3.9 science 3.8 overall as a biochem major moving into my senior year with 120 credits. 502 on the mcat which is 60% also got 508 on the AAMC scored and like 86% on the non-scored..... Im applying regardless, but the matter of retaking is whats killing me.

123 on CARS... everything else above 124
I have good EC and great letters.

Last edited:
GPA 3.9 science 3.8 overall as a biochem major moving into my senior year with 120 credits. 502 on the mcat which is 60% also got 508 on the AAMC scored and like 86% on the non-scored..... Im applying regardless, but the matter of retaking is whats killing me.

I have good EC and great letters.
Sweet stats. I would suggest retaking in April when you for sure know if you aren't going to get in. Make sure you will know how to reply to adcoms during interviews regarding this issue and "inconsistency" in your GPA & MCAT. (working, other obligations...) Best of luck applying!!!

Overall GPA 3.62
Science GPA 3.56
MCAT 500 126/123/125/126
URM, Non-trad

Do I have any chance, at least DO schools? If I retake, would 2 weeks and a half be enough to pull a 505?

Overall GPA 3.62
Science GPA 3.56
MCAT 500 126/123/125/126
URM, Non-trad

Do I have any chance, at least DO schools? If I retake, would 2 weeks and a half be enough to pull a 505?
Do NOT retake unless you are absolutely sure you are ready. And I doubt 2 weeks would make a huge difference. Don't re-take and ruin all your chances for med school if you are NOT ready for it.

I'm applying next year so here are my predicted GPAs:
cGpa~ 3.45 (upward trend)
sGpa~3.3
510 mcat (127/128/127/128)
Do I have a shot at getting anywhere in Illinois? Or do my gpa's warrant a retake?
Just my 2 cents but I don't think you need a higher MCAT. A 510 is a good MD score. To be honest, I believe your sGPA will be the biggest killer in the app. Also cGPA is kind of low for MD standards. Possibly a SMP program and get a great GPA and then apply with that. You can also look into osteopathic medicine which you would have a better chance in at the moment.

I'm international student
I got 4.0 GPA, but only 506 in the MCAT (I messed up my Cars)... (129/122/127/128)... Plenty of research experiences and volunteering. Currently working in a medical school's research lab. What do you think :'(

Help!

Been struggling with the idea of having to retake the exam but I got a 509: 128/123/130/128. The CARS is low I know. I'm not applying this year. Currently in a masters program, and planning to apply in June.
Should I retake in between?

Ohhhh brother :,( 504, with a 90th percentile in CARS (no studying required, I'm a writer :( fat lot of good that does me right now) and lowest 44% in Bio which I could not be more ashamed of considering my experiences. (125/128/124/127)

I was hoping for a 510 (haha good you you @tuco's revenge, your footer made me laugh, too), but I'm already so late in the cycle I don't know if would be worth spending money on secondaries for that score. I'm also late in general - already into a gap year but...I mean...although I don't want to get serious about the MCAT again, I just don't know if schools are going to think that score is a joke?

Thanks for your help!

PS - this site is really cool! https://www.jackwestin.com/evaluate/504/a-good-mcat-score

PPS : "We may encounter defeats, but we must not be defeated." - Maya Angelou
Some quotes on success, because we all need it! http://www.briantracy.com/blog/personal-success/26-motivational-quotes-for-success/

Last edited:
Help appreciated.

Canadian applicant, but plan to apply to the US next cycle. Scored a 509, but balanced (127/127/128/127). cGPA of 3.86, sGPA of 3.6 but strong upward trend in last three years (All 4.0s).

Should I retake? I think I hit my expected scores for C/P, B/B, but could probably improve 1-2 scores in CARS/Psych.

Only scored a 497 and my GPA is 3.5 . Test breakdown (125/123/126/123). Is it even worth it to apply this cycle? I really don't want to waste hundreds of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.