Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I will be a reapplicant for this upcoming cycle. I landed 2 interviews the previous cycle and applied late, but I'm not entirely sure if it's because of my mcat or from applying late. Applied to MD only, but will apply to MD and DO next cycle. Anyways here's the breakdown.

First try 26 total (11,6,9)
Second try 509 (130,122,128,129)

It's pretty clear what my weak spot is lol. What do you guys think?

Hey guys, I will be a reapplicant for this upcoming cycle. I landed 2 interviews the previous cycle and applied late, but I'm not entirely sure if it's because of my mcat or from applying late. Applied to MD only, but will apply to MD and DO next cycle. Anyways here's the breakdown.

First try 26 total (11,6,9)
Second try 509 (130,122,128,129)

It's pretty clear what my weak spot is lol. What do you guys think?

You ABSOLUTELY need to be asking the schools you interviewed with why they didn't accept you. This is almost a prerec to getting in after you apply and don't get in the first time. There should be no question as to where you need to improve. I haven't heard good things about applying to MD and DO unless you really believe in the DO process and want their specific experience. Many DOs I've talked to may apply to their state MD schools but no others and specifically tailor their app to DO schools. That said I would be very careful retaking. you need to aim for like a 519 if you retake. Three retakes doesn't demonstrate the kind of test proficiency that is required for med school. Consider the fact that the USMLE will be much more difficult and admissions boards are prolly averaging your tests together. First priority is asking med schools that you interviewed at how to improve.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm currently waiting to hear back from UofT for an interview. I've been rejected at all of the other Ontario med schools, with the exception of Ottawa (as I didn't apply there). I met the cut-offs for UofT, so they will review my application in its entirety, at the very least.

I have written the MCAT twice, once during its older administration (6 PS/5 VR/10 BS; 21 total) and last summer during the newer administration (126/125/128/129; 508 total). I've also recently applied to physiotherapy as another interest of mine, so I'm also waiting to hear back from those programs soon. In the meantime, I don't know if I should retake the test again. It's a substantial commitment so I've really been struggling to decide. If I do retake it, I'm planning to allocate 4 months (between the end of March to the August 5 test date) to tackle my weaker areas.

What do you guys think? Should I retake the test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm currently waiting to hear back from UofT for an interview. I've been rejected at all of the other Ontario med schools, with the exception of Ottawa (as I didn't apply there). I met the cut-offs for UofT, so they will review my application in its entirety, at the very least.

I have written the MCAT twice, once during its older administration (6 PS/5 VR/10 BS; 21 total) and last summer during the newer administration (126/125/128/129; 508 total). I've also recently applied to physiotherapy as another interest of mine, so I'm also waiting to hear back from those programs soon. In the meantime, I don't know if I should retake the test again. It's a substantial commitment so I've really been struggling to decide. If I do retake it, I'm planning to allocate 4 months (between the end of March to the August 5 test date) to tackle my weaker areas.

You really need to get feedback from schools that you've applied to. My guess is that your MCAT isn't the reason (at least not the largest) that they aren't accepting you. Call or email them, you need real feedback.

Took the MCAT last summer and scored a very balanced 508. I'm a Canadian who will be applying in both Canada and the US. Gpa will be around a 3.67 by the time I apply. Should I retake the MCAT? (also wondering for people who did retake, by how much did their score go up)

I think my ECs are good/decent:
- volunteering with after school program 100 hours
- UNICEF member 3 years
- undergraduate society committee member 2 years
-shadowing 50 hours
- hospital 100 hours
- coordinator for after school program
- will be doing honours research project for 1 year
- referee on campus
- worked for 2 years with the scholarship office (paid)
- leadership facilitator / coordinator (held workshops and stuff like that)

Took the MCAT last summer and scored a very balanced 508. I'm a Canadian who will be applying in both Canada and the US. Gpa will be around a 3.67 by the time I apply. Should I retake the MCAT? (also wondering for people who did retake, by how much did their score go up)

I think my ECs are good/decent:
- volunteering with after school program 100 hours
- UNICEF member 3 years
- undergraduate society committee member 2 years
-shadowing 50 hours
- hospital 100 hours
- coordinator for after school program
- will be doing honours research project for 1 year
- referee on campus
- worked for 2 years with the scholarship office (paid)
- leadership facilitator / coordinator (held workshops and stuff like that)

Don't retake unless you're going to get a 520. You're solid. The MSAR is a good guide.

Hey, not to pry but what was your GPA like (I'm asking cause I have a similar score for the MCAT, just different distribution and I'm wondering what are my relative chances or if I should retake)???

MCAT - 510. 128,126,126,130...cumulative GPA around 3.9. The score is fine, but the 126 bio score is kind of bothering me. Not sure if its worth it to retake for a few extra points in bio. Aiming for MD schools

MCAT - 510. 128,126,126,130...cumulative GPA around 3.9. The score is fine, but the 126 bio score is kind of bothering me. Not sure if its worth it to retake for a few extra points in bio. Aiming for MD schools
No, don't retake. Just pay attention to entering class numbers when choosing where to apply.

year: 5th year Transfer student
state: ca
applying to MD/DO anywhere I can get in
major: bioengineering
BCPM gpa is 3.55, AO is 3.47, with overall 3.52
29 MCAT 10/10/9
research- about 750 hours split between 4 different labs including 1 clinical research
200 hours of physician shadowing
clinic - about 500 with leadership. 100 hours in the hospital
was a chem tutor for about 60 hours, a ochem TA for about 80, and worked as a salesman for about 1000 hours.
graduate degree: will be starting an MPH in August

I did a very stupid thing and decided to apply late in the cycle(hey, what the heck) around October to both MD/DO and I decided that it was a waste of time to do secondaries so technically I will be a reapplicant this time around even though i didnt do any secondaries. I'm graduating right now, so I have a ton of free time until June. I'll only be doing some clinical research on the side during this time. I'd have about 8 weeks of only studying to retake the MCAT. Should I retake it? Biggest motivator for me to take it is that I'll have a ton of free time over the next 8 weeks. Also, to anyone who can respond - how should I handle this hold reapplicant deal?

hi guys. I'm a PhD in bioengineering. undergrad GPA 3.68 (U of toronto), looking for research MD school in states.
MCAT:30, 9 VR, 10 PS, 11 BS - only took it once (does taking it in multiples matter?)

Should I retake?

Please Help!

1. I took the old MCAT in July of 2014 and got a 30 (11 in Phys, 11 in Verbal, 8 in Bio) and have not taken one since. I started studying for the May 8th MCAT but realized that I wasn't getting enough done to outdo my previous score

2.Undergrad GPA= 3.5

3. I have an year and a half of research experience and I have about 3-4 publications with another 2-3 presentations by our team to go with it

4. I have moderate shadowing experience ( maybe 30 hours or so)

5. I am currently doing a lot of clinical volunteering and have over 100 hours to my name. I also went on a mission trip to South America last year for 2 weeks which is both shadowing/volunteering and it left a lasting/positive impact on myself and made me a better candidate

What worries me is if I have to re-take I'd be applying this next cycle relatively late, which is what I think might have hurt me last cycle ( finished applications August/September instead of July)

I'd love to have some input as to what I should do. I'm really confused right now! Thanks Everyone!

I have a MCAT scheduled for 5/20, but I don't know if I should go through with it.

Old MCAT: 27 (10 B/7 P/10 V)
New MCAT: 505 (127/126/126/126)

GPA: 3.79

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I just got my April 1 score back and I am not sure if I should apply. I am really disappointed with my score because I got absolutely crushed on my MCAT reading section which I usually do very well at.
Major: Biology
Minor: Computer Science
1 Quarter left of school(Not counting this one)
Mcat Score: 504(127,123,127,127)
GPA overall: 3.5
Computer Science GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.25
Do you think I should retake? What our my options? :oops: Should I apply this cycle? Basically do I have a decent chance to get in at all to any school what so ever? My friend says I should apply because they said they take ethnicity into account but I don't think they do(I'm hispanic btw). Any recommendations? :( I am shocked that I got crushed so hard in the verbal skills, especially after all this practice.

I'm going to try as hard as I can to get straight A's but my science GPA won't move above a 3.45 max with the courses I have left. Not to mention, I think my computer science GPA is going to make me look worse since I have far superior grades in CS rather than my biology classes...
Extra curricular: 6 Month Internship SBMRI
60+ hours of volunteer at hospital
Shadowing
4 Letters of Recommendation

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Jumping on the thread here.

Just checked my score. Its super balanced, but not as high as I would have liked- 506 (126,126,127,127).

cGPA: 3.74
sGPA: approximately 3:69
College Activities: Varsity Track and Field Athlete/Captain; Bio Lab TA; Volunteer in ED (at least 300-350 hrs); Worked as a Foster Care Aide; Sports Performance/Injury Prevention Internship (500 hours); 4-H junior leader; Volunteer at local harvest festival; Volunteer at local elementary school
Current Activities: Work full time as an ED scribe, recently promoted to trainer; Nationally certified EMT-Basic; 50 hours shadowing general surgeon
I also have two letters of rec from doctors I've worked with scribing that will be super strong… as well as four strong ones from professors (one of those was my coach who has a PhD, but my advisor wanted me to get a fourth just in case schools didn't want a letter from a coach).

Last edited:
I NEED HELP. I am debating on whether or not I should cancel my retake test that's already scheduled.

MCAT Score: 508 (Chem/Phys - 128, CR - 127, Biol - 125, Phsyc/Soc - 128). I have a GPA of a 3.65 but a math/science cumulative of about 3.74. My resume is completely loaded with leadership positions (Fraternity President, Campus Ambassador, IFC Positions, multiple honor societies), I have almost 200 hours of community service, will graduate with 2 posters that I co-authored, etc. I wouldn't think about retaking unless I wasn't trying to go to Baylor Med, which has average ranges above my score and GPA. However, I am doing the Baylor College of Med SMART Summer Research program, for which they only accept 80 applicants and give those applicants "priority acceptance" whatever that means. Should I retake it?

Should I Retake?

I took the MCAT twice.
old MCAT in January 2015: 29 overall (11 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)
new MCAT April 2016: 507 overall ( 131 Chem, 123 Verb, 128 Bio, 125 Psych)
Should I retake the test one more time and improve my verbal and psych if I want to get into MD schools?

Science GPA: 3.96
Cumulative GPA: 3.84
EC: Research (1 year), Tutor/Prep Course Instructor (4 years), Summer Camp Counselor for Children with cancer ( 2 summers), Hospital Volunteer/Internship (2 years), Volunteer Clinical trips to Mexico (2 years), Student Government for College (1 year), Shadowing (4 years)

Hi Guys,
I got a 509 ( 129,125, 128,127)
Have a 3.9, Hispanic, and great letters/extracurriculars (clinical, psychology, and bench research), 2.5 yrs EMT
Should I retake because of CARS?
Would a July MCAT delay my application?
Would I get screened out of schools because of my 125 CARS before they receive my updated MCAT?
Thanks!

I ripped a 516 (131,126,130,129) but here in Alberta the 126 in CARS absolutely skewers me.

I'm re-writing on May 20th. Even if I only get a 511 this time it'll be worth the tradeoff if I can manage to lift that CARS score

Currently I am on 2 waitlists for MD. My MCAT score was horrible and I applied late, but I got interviews...so I'm confused if it was the interview (I felt great after them) or if it's my MCAT.

1.) MCAT: 495 (122/124/123/126)
2.) 3.3 overall undergrad, 3.1 science undergrad, 3.88 science postbacc

great letters, great personal statement, great extracurriculars, first generation, I also applied late September.

So I'm really not sure what to do.. I received my score yesterday and go a 507 - 130/123/124/130

I knew chemistry was my weakness, so I focused a lot on that and it paid off. But obviously CARS and Bio didn't. I was doing great on Bio during all practice tests, but the real thing that day was SO different from everything I had studied. CARS for me is hit or miss, i'll get a 130 on one practice test, and a 124 on the next.

My question is: Should i apply with this score? Its very weak in bio and cars and that worries me a lot. I have always been considering mid-tier schools, but i don't know if that an option anymore.

3.55 sGPA, 3.70 cGPA from UCLA (Cognitive Science major)
28 year-old Non-Traditional student
I have about 300 hours of clinical volunteering
5 letters of rec
200 hours of tutoring
50 philanthropy hours
Honors, deans list, etc

The soonest i could retake would be June 18th, for a score back on July 20th. Is this too late to apply?

Thanks for all your helps guys and girls. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

should I retake?
27L
VR: 4 :(:(
PS: 12
BS: 11
I don't know what happened with my VR.
English is my second language, so I don't expect too much for VR. But I think 4 is too low.
I usually got between 6-8 in my practice tests. Any advice for retake or not??:confused::confused:

I've seen people getting to DO but Allopathic may be tought.

ok so mine is not so bad but I am still very worried.
PS: 11
VR: 10
BS: 10
WS: M
I have a 3.62 GPA.
I only have 6 months of clinical volunteering.
Do you think I have a shot into getting into medschool with these stats or should I retake the MCAT?

That's a pretty decent score. What made you think to retake?

Just got my score back from the April 23 exam and got a 507 (125/130/126/126). I normally do a lot better on psych/sosc so that's definitely what tripped me up. I'm trying to submit my apps June 7th for matriculation 2017, my only concern is that I probably can't retake until July because I don't have time to study before mid June (graduating). I also have a pretty low GPA (3.2) but am a URM from a top 5 US school. Should I retake?

Do you have research and strong ecs and recs? Also, what's your science gpa? If the aforementioned are solid, you should be just fine for lower tier md.

Do you have research and strong ecs and recs? Also, what's your science gpa? If the aforementioned are solid, you should be just fine for lower tier md.

science gpa is 2.95 which is a big problem i know. i have research - most likely getting published in the fall. also have pretty good letters of rec (one from my PI) and was on varsity crew among other things (volunteering, clinical exposure, tutor underserved communities). If I want to get into mid tier schools should I retake?

OK, here's my deal

I am not a native speaker, and have been in the country for 10 years. Despite that, I feel like I have mastered the English language (apparently MCAT thinks otherwise . . . :(). I have been reading a great variety of good English writing like crazy for years; I pretty much feel most of the time as though English has become my first language.

Anyhow, took MCAT the 1st time last April, got a 28N: 10PS, 7VR, 11BS. Was absolutely horrified, petrified, humiliated, depressed. . . :eek:. I was a bio and chem double major in college so I expected above 12 on PS and BS. Yeah

Studied a lot for the last 6 months. Got my May 16th score: 31M: 11PS, 9 VR, 11 BS.

I am strongly leaning towards not retaking as the rest of my application is in pretty good shape, but would appreciate any thoughts, comments.

Thanks, folks!

I think it's a pretty good result. They don't like seeing that you retake it even once, so doing it a third time would be pointless.

i got a 25 with 9VR 8BS and 8PS. was scoring higher on practice tests. but never broke a 30. i'm nervous if i decide to retake and go lower.

how much time should i give myself before reraking?
I think you should retake anyway.

should I retake?
27L
VR: 4 :(:(
PS: 12
BS: 11
I don't know what happened with my VR.
English is my second language, so I don't expect too much for VR. But I think 4 is too low.
I usually got between 6-8 in my practice tests. Any advice for retake or not??:confused::confused:
Definitely retake.

ok so mine is not so bad but I am still very worried.
PS: 11
VR: 10
BS: 10
WS: M
I have a 3.62 GPA.
I only have 6 months of clinical volunteering.
Do you think I have a shot into getting into medschool with these stats or should I retake the MCAT?
In my opinion you have a decent chance.

Currently going into 2-year PT program in Canada.

Undergrad GPA: 3.79
MCAT: 515 (129/129/128/129)

Should I apply for MD program 2017 cycle or finish PT and apply 2018 cycle? Should I retake MCAT?

Just got my scores from 5/14 MCAT
Composite: 504 (125/127/125/127)
GPA: 3.74 Science GPA 3.67
Good EC's and Letters, applying for Fall '17 at in-state schools (LSU New Orleans and LSU Shreveport)
I worked in research on campus through sophomore year, and I've been working as a courier for a local clinic for the last year with a really solid letter from the head physician there whom I've shadowed

Should I take this beast again? Would a 506-508 on a retake help me? Not sure if its worth the risk of showing no improvement

Not sure if this is too unbalanced or not.. Seeking help from fellow SDN friends.

Overall: 509 (meh, I can live with it)
C/P: 128
CARS: 124
B/B: 130
P/S: 127

3.8 cGPA
3.7 BPCM
Missouri resident (read: essentially only one pub school to apply to)
Disadvantaged status
Lots of ECs and ROTC which shows leadership
Not published yet, but our paper should be finished by Aug

Is my CARS score going to set me back? I'm applying to UofMissouri and the rest are lower tier private schools with the exception of Iowa. Should I stick with what I have or retake it this July or August after reviewing CARS nonstop?

Any help/guidance is appreciated. Currently stressed to the max along with most other people in this forum lol.

I am currently in the same situation with my CARS score^^ would really appreciate any guidance with this! (My CARS is a 126, but when I took practice tests, I was scoring 129's on Kaplan-- do I retake just for the lower CARS score?)

Overall: 510
CP: 128
CARS: 128
BB: 125
PS: 129

sGPA:3.9 (Biology Major)

I am worried about my poor performance on the BB section. I am reluctant to retake because idk if I could replicate the scores on the other sections

Overall: 510
CP: 128
CARS: 128
BB: 125
PS: 129

sGPA:3.9 (Biology Major)

I am worried about my poor performance on the BB section. I am reluctant to retake because idk if I could replicate the scores on the other sections

I've seen people on SDN say adcoms emphasize B/B because that is essential to medicine, but I don't know if that's true. However, being a biology major, I don't think looks great that you got a 125 there. I would imagine if I was interviewing you I would ask "So, why do you think you just did average in B/B as a biology major?" Just a lowly pre-med though, so maybe I'm wrong. I don't know about retaking it, but I guess be prepared for that question.

Currently going into 2-year PT program in Canada.

Undergrad GPA: 3.79
MCAT: 515 (129/129/128/129)

Should I apply for MD program 2017 cycle or finish PT and apply 2018 cycle? Should I retake MCAT?

Wtf would you retake the MCAT?

I know you're in Canada but going from 129 to 130+ is a crap shoot. There really isn't that big of a difference between a 129 and a 130. At that point it can come down to if you get lucky in what content you get on your test.

Just got my scores from 5/14 MCAT
Composite: 504 (125/127/125/127)
GPA: 3.74 Science GPA 3.67
Good EC's and Letters, applying for Fall '17 at in-state schools (LSU New Orleans and LSU Shreveport)
I worked in research on campus through sophomore year, and I've been working as a courier for a local clinic for the last year with a really solid letter from the head physician there whom I've shadowed

Should I take this beast again? Would a 506-508 on a retake help me? Not sure if its worth the risk of showing no improvement

You have a good shot at a 508 if you can score 510+ on practice FLs.

Let me know if I'm crazy, but I'm having some doubts going into this applications cycle as it seems to be getting more and more competitive for admission.

Should I retake a 510 (128/126/128/128)? This is about a 31 on the old MCAT. I got a 514 on the AAMC practice test and 86.5% on the unscored. I'm already a reapplicant and don't want to waste money on another cycle with no acceptances.

Let me know if I'm crazy, but I'm having some doubts going into this applications cycle as it seems to be getting more and more competitive for admission.

Should I retake a 510 (128/126/128/128)? This is about a 31 on the old MCAT. I got a 514 on the AAMC practice test and 86.5% on the unscored. I'm already a reapplicant and don't want to waste money on another cycle with no acceptances.
Don't retake. Apply broadly to MD and DO.

Pretty solid score. Don't retake and apply broadly.

Don't retake! That's a great score. I understand the slight letdown after the aamc scored (I got a 515 on the aamc scored and am waiting for my score now and would be happy with your score!). The test seems to be changing a lot and who knows if your next test would be more difficult. You got a great score, don't look back!

Status
Not open for further replies.