*** Official *** SFSU (San Francisco State University) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else apply for AET Fall 2012??! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
AET too!! :) Good luck to all of us! Hope to see everyone in the fall!! :)

I was accepted for summer, but decided to push my start date to Fall 12. Good luck to you all!

Hey guys,

Just FYI, I called SFSU today and they told me that the decision for Fall 2012 should b coming up sometime in mid-July! I'm freakin nervous! :scared::laugh::):D:scared:

GL to u all,

G.

Have they started or finished interviews? o.o

Oh sorry. I meant they r in the evaluation stage right now n they will soon b inviting applicants for interviews. GL!

Thanks for the information GinaS2K!

Heads up guys, interviews are coming out! =D

When did you hear from them? Was it via email or phone? Ah so nervous! This waiting game is so stressful...

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard over the weekend and via email.

Good luck to everyone. Waiting truly does suck, but they're coming out.

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and have my interview this Saturday! I was wondering if anyone else has heard back from them?

I just got my acceptance email. I must now figure out how to live in SF.

I'm not too optimistic since I haven't heard from them about an interview and it seems most of you have by now. I really like the San Francisco area and liked what I've read about the program.

Throughout the whole process I had a hard time getting in touch with people and application status updates.

don't be deterred. I just got an interview late last week and interviewed yesterday. Though the spots are limited, they are still offering interview invites!

I just withdrew my application from SFSU, so another spot will be opening. Good luck to all.

D; There should be a signal or something for this.

Hey is anyone applying for spring 2013 Post bacc SF.

Yeah, I am probably going to apply (to the career changer track).

How important would current/past students rate medical-related EC's to gaining admission? I will have little if any shadowing / medical volunteering by the time I apply in January. I plan to gain these experiences both this coming spring and during the two years of the program. Outside of this, I believe I'm a competitive applicant - 3.9 GPA, 1460 SAT, a variety of volunteer / leadership / extracurricular activities (in non-medical fields).

Can anyone comment on the availability of volunteer or research activities in San Francisco while completing this program? I am interested in a two-year program like this because of the balance of studying and (I assume) volunteering/EC's as opposed to the accelerated one-year programs that will leave little time for outside activities.

Thanks!

I just got Interview for AET at end of month if I get in I will let you know by january!

Hey! I also applied for the AET post bacc program, but haven't heard anything! Anxiously awaiting..... I submitted my app in October and called a few weeks ago to follow up but they told me it would still be a few weeks before I heard anything. What was your app like if you dont mind me asking?

I have a 3.2 GPA
Got 3 pretty good LORs from a biology professor, a Medical Spanish Professor and an NP i used to translate for and work with at a community clinic.
I have a lot of ECs and community service and I am currently shadowing a doctor full time.
My biggest negative is that I did poorly on the MCAT.

Do you know of anyone else that has received an interview?

Hey,
I had my application completed in mid august but officially it was on oct 4th. I have similar stats as you. I believe they are taking longer this time as I heard back from them on November 9th via email. None of my friends are applying so I do not know anyone who have. I know waiting sucks, I was really anxious too. Do not worry you will get one!

Does anyone know whether we would be permitted to take classes outside of the post-bac (core pre-reqs + upper division electives), such as psychology, sociology, statistics, etc.? And if so, how much do these courses cost?

Thanks PSimon! That's good to hear! I submitted mine on October 1st and my advisors submitted their letters on the 15th so hopefully I will hear something soon! Good luck at your interview!

Hey, guys
I just got accepted to sfsu post bacc but I am registered for MCAT for June next year. I was wondering if anyone have done post bacc and MCAT prep at same time???:confused:. If anyone looking for place to live there for spring let me know also. Females only:).
Thank you!

Hey, guys
I just got accepted to sfsu post bacc but I am registered for MCAT for June next year. I was wondering if anyone have done post bacc and MCAT prep at same time???:confused:. If anyone looking for place to live there for spring let me know also. Females only:).
Thank you!

What classes are you taking in the spring? I'm guessing OChem II and Physics II?

I did my post-bac at SFSU and was taking Physio/Org Chem II/Physics II, all with labs while studying for the MCAT. I wouldn't recommend that, but I got a 34, and my classes pretty much counted for about 70% of the content review, so it turned out well. Are you trying to apply next cycle? If not, no reason to take it so early.

I took the MCAT June 21 and started the post-bac the summer before so it would be the same exact schedule, if you're trying to apply next year. I actually just gave a presentation at SFSU about my experience this past Thursday. Hit me up if you have questions.

Hey guys! This is my first post, but I've been reading about the SFSU program for a while, and it seems like a good fit for me.

I'm a Psych major/Spanish minor with a 3.54 cum gpa and a 3.8 major gpa. I don't have any clinical/shadowing experience but I do have a variety of ECs and I am starting an internship at a cancer research center in January. I am just so stressed right now while I'm applying!

I'm currently a senior in college, and I feel like time is running out already! I'm hoping to apply for Summer 2013 (since that is the best time to apply, I've heard?) but I'm just generally nervous and looking for some advice! I've only taken business calculus, and that didn't go over very well at all (a C-) and seeing that that is the only pre-req I have, can that hurt me?

tl;dr: nervous psych student wanting to become a doctor, help!

Hi I'm a prospective pre-pharm student looking at post-baccs.

SFSU is one of my first choices because, aside from it being a competitive program with high acceptance rates, it's local.

Does anyone have any comments on whether SFSU would be a good post-bacc for pre-pharmacy?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Hmm I applied for the formal post bacc on January 14th and I'm getting anxious. I think I'm more of a CCT candidate but I'm not exactly sure. I will be re-taking all of my general chem (I didn't do too well as an undergrad) and math courses. Additionally, I do not have ANY upper-division science pre-requisites required for veterinary school (cell & molecular bio, biochemistry, microbiology, ochem and ochem lab, anatomy and physiology, etc) because my major was in ecology.

Do you think they will evaluate me as a CCT or AET candidate? I really hope I get in; I had a lot of academic trouble my first 3 years at UCSD but my last year I received Provost Honors for getting a GPA of 3.5 or higher for the entire year. I'm really hoping that will help.

I was wondering if anyone knew about what medical schools SFSU postbacc students(AETs) were accepted to after completing the program? And were they accepted right after program completion?

I just interviewed at SFSU and one of the AET post bacs there had gotten into Michigan State. Not sure if she took a glide year or applied while still in the program, though.

Has anyone received an acceptance letter for the Summer or Fall of 2013 to the Formal post bacc program as an AET?

Has anyone received an acceptance letter for the Summer or Fall of 2013 to the Formal post bacc program as an AET?

Just got an interview for this Fall! It's on July 13. Does anyone know the stats? I got into USC's MSGM program but its much more expensive than SFSU... Or does anyone currently go to SFSU that I can ask questions? Super curious.

Hi, everyone--

If you have one year of Gen Chem and Calculus III but no other basic sciences, could you complete SFSU CCT program in 1 year?

Thank you in advance!

Hi guys! I applied to the AET track a few months ago for Fall 2014, and have been contacted for an interview. They said they'd let me know 2 weeks prior, and that it will be sometime in June.

Hey Everyone!

Is anyone applying this year to the sfsu program? The deadline says tomorrow, May 15th, is the deadline. But does anyone know what time tomorrow or if it is midnight tonight? I need to go to kinkos to scan my unofficial transcript before I hit submit.

Thanks!

If May 15th is the deadline, then you'd have until midnight! Best of luck :)

Hey guys! Has anyone who applied for AET Fall 2014 at SFSU been contacted for/already completed the interview or heard back from admissions? If so, how did it go?

Hey guys! Has anyone who applied for AET Fall 2014 at SFSU been contacted for/already completed the interview or heard back from admissions? If so, how did it go?
Hi! I applied in early May before the deadline and haven't heard anything back. I did call the office and they said we should hear by the end of June...just a little bit worried because I'm going to Europe June 20-July 24 so I'm not sure what to do if the interview is during that time. Of course skype is an option, I would just rather be there in person.

Hi! I applied in early May before the deadline and haven't heard anything back. I did call the office and they said we should hear by the end of June...just a little bit worried because I'm going to Europe June 20-July 24 so I'm not sure what to do if the interview is during that time. Of course skype is an option, I would just rather be there in person.

Ahh I'm worried about the same thing. I will also be traveling later in June into early July. Hopefully we'll hear back within the upcoming week!

Yea, I talked to MSJC and I received an email saying late June as well. By the way Premedoo you are from IV? lol my alma mater is UCSB circa 2012. Gaucho strong

Yea, I talked to MSJC and I received an email saying late June as well. By the way Premedoo you are from IV? lol my alma mater is UCSB circa 2012. Gaucho strong
yes, graduating in one week!

none yet. I actually talked to Mermaid and she has not even heard from them yet. I am actually preparing to apply for the informal post bacc as a back up.

Hey future health professionals! Here to advocate for the SFSU post-bacc program. I'm a pre-med but I can try to answer other pre-health questions you have.

I was wondering if anyone knew about what medical schools SFSU postbacc students(AETs) were accepted to after completing the program? And were they accepted right after program completion?
AETs, or Academic Enhancers, have been accepted to a variety of medical schools in the US. For instance, I went to a panel and learned that they got into UC San Diego, University of Arizona, St. Louis University, Uniformed Services, etc. Usually they apply right when they finish the program (1-2 years), and get accepted the following year. So, three years is typical.

Not the most up-to-date statistic, but according to the website, success rate is 80%. Students are quite successful in getting into a medical, dental, physical therapy school, etc.