*** Official *** SFSU (San Francisco State University) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone who got in previously post their stats? Or alternatively, does anyone have figures on how competitive this is, and what stats you need to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

For all those wondering about admissions here...

I can tell you that there isn't a magic formula for admission to our program.

For AET applicants (applicants that need a GPA boost and have taken most pre-med classes already), the GPAs that we accepted ranged from 2.7 ish to 3.4 ish. We don't enforce a cut off, but we do look for promise of better academic performance. This usually means either good MCAT/GRE scores or a streak of recent courses that are significantly better than their previous performance. Preferably in the sciences. One quarter or more of A's will go a long way toward helping your chances.

For Career Changers (applicants that have not taken the pre-med required courses) our GPA standards are usually higher. We will accept students with GPAs as low as 3.0ish, but that is on the low end of our applicant pool. We don't employ cutoffs, but there is a lot more competition for Career Changer spots in terms of strong GPAs. Again, taking a course or two of intro sciences or upper division classes in your major and getting A's in them can help offset a low overall GPA or make you stand out in the crowd.

One of the biggest factors in admissions, and I CANNOT stress this enough, is your story. We take pride in helping those students who have faced challenges along their academic path and never had a chance to truly shine. I can't tell you how many times I went out on a limb for students who maybe didn't have great numbers, but did have compelling back stories. So be honest and thoughtful in your essays. If you faced challenges growing up or in college then absolutely talk about them. If you went through unique experiences that provide your drive to become a doctor, then let us know. We read each of those essays so put some effort into them.

If there are any more questions about admissions or the program, post them and I will try and wander back over here to check them.

Good luck everyone applying! :luck:

~For reference, I just finished the post-bacc program in May and was on the admissions committee here.

*Edit: All numbers posted here are my best guesses from my memory and should not constitute official data of any kind.*

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the info! The only real question I have at the moment is: how many applicants do you get for the CCT program, and/or what's the acceptance rate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! The only real question I have at the moment is: how many applicants do you get for the CCT program, and/or what's the acceptance rate?

I'm hard pressed to remember the total number of of CCT's we get since I worked more with AETs. I want to say 300 or so CCT apps for ~60 spots. The total number of applications seems to be on the rise (dramatically), but our spots as far as I know are not increasing. This of course means competition is tougher, so standing out with great essays and extracurricular activities becomes more important.

The number of interviews we give out is not a lot higher than the number of spots we are opening. We put a lot of effort in our interview selection process and accept a large portion of our interview candidates. We generally accept more students than spots we have open, but again not a lot more. We are lucky to have a very strong acceptance to matriculation rate.

I should mention that the rolling admissions timeline is not an even distribution of applicants and seats for either track. We get a LOT more applications to start in the Summer/Fall and applying early for those spots is your best shot at getting in.

Just like M.D. school admissions, applying early will always work in your favor.

I'm hard pressed to remember the total number of of CCT's we get since I worked more with AETs. I want to say 300 or so CCT apps for ~60 spots. The total number of applications seems to be on the rise (dramatically), but our spots as far as I know are not increasing. This of course means competition is tougher, so standing out with great essays and extracurricular activities becomes more important.

The number of interviews we give out is not a lot higher than the number of spots we are opening. We put a lot of effort in our interview selection process and accept a large portion of our interview candidates. We generally accept more students than spots we have open, but again not a lot more. We are lucky to have a very strong acceptance to matriculation rate.

I should mention that the rolling admissions timeline is not an even distribution of applicants and seats for either track. We get a LOT more applications to start in the Summer/Fall and applying early for those spots is your best shot at getting in.

Just like M.D. school admissions, applying early will always work in your favor.

I just applied to the AET for this coming spring and received confirmation of my completed application a few days ago. My adviser and I determined that this was the best program for me currently and it is the only program I am applying to at the moment, so fingers crossed until October 24th when they said that people will be invited to interview.

Do you know roughly how many AET's apply each semester for the roughly 10-20 spots available?

I just applied also! So those invited for an interview will be notified on Oct.24 or before that date?? Do you think the interviews will take place that weekend or in November? Good luck to you!!!

I just applied to the AET for this coming spring and received confirmation of my completed application a few days ago. My adviser and I determined that this was the best program for me currently and it is the only program I am applying to at the moment, so fingers crossed until October 24th when they said that people will be invited to interview.

Do you know roughly how many AET's apply each semester for the roughly 10-20 spots available?

Well this is actually two different questions since Summer/Fall admissions is somewhat different than Spring.

For Spring admissions to the AET track the number of applicants is usually pretty low since most people apply to enter in the fall. I know in my first year as an AET we added only 5 or 6 new people in the Spring. So Spring has the lowest competition in terms of number of applicants (sorry dont know the exact number), but you are usually going for relatively fewer spots. They may be changing that this year, but I know we already have a lot of AETs so I'm not sure how many more they will add.

This last year for Summer and Fall entrance I think we had about 150-180 applications. We ended up giving out most of the spots for the year's AET class for Summer and Fall entrants so the spots are not evenly divided between each semester.

As a note to anyone still considering when to apply: Apply for summer entrance and do it early. This will most often be the best shot you have for getting an acceptance based on potential number of seats they could give out. If you are a strong applicant, but just didn't make the cut, the admissions committee may hold over your app till the next cycle (they will tell you they are doing this). They may also make some recommendations about how to improve your application and ask you to reapply after doing that.

Thanks for the info, if I don't get into the program I think I will still go to SFSU through open university and take the science classes that I can get into. Then I will reapply for the summer, showing the grades I was able to achieve there. However it would be much easier on my mind if I got in initially.

Has anyone actually applied after the deadline? I just ran across sfsu post bacc program and I want to apply for the spring 2012 semester but the deadline has past. They are still accepting late applications but Idk if it is worth applying late or waiting for the summer 2012. Any sugg helps. Thanks

Has anyone actually applied after the deadline? I just ran across sfsu post bacc program and I want to apply for the spring 2012 semester but the deadline has past. They are still accepting late applications but Idk if it is worth applying late or waiting for the summer 2012. Any sugg helps. Thanks

Go ahead and apply past the deadline. Don't expect much since I have it on good authority that this Spring has a lot of applicants for almost no spots. Summer will be much easier to get into but it wont hurt to try for Spring and then again for Summer if it doesn't work out.

If you are an outstanding candidate you might have a chance applying past the deadline, but it will also depend on if the committee has time to get to your application before all the spots are filled up.

Not I, though the email I got said they would announce interviews the 25th or the 26th, so by tomorrow, unless they are delayed

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone applied for the summer start CCT Cohort 7? Any idea about the timeline for interview notices and subsequent acceptances/ rejections?

Any veterans of the program out there who have some experience with the "boot camps" the program offers? Did you feel as though they really helped you prepare for the class/ were they worth the $150 or so that they cost?

Any students who are in the program now who wouldn't mind speaking candidly about their experiences in the program or have any suggestions about how to find such a resource? (PM would be great!)

Thanks!

I applied for the summer start for Cohort 7. I had some correspondence with the program a few weeks ago confirming that my application had been complete since January, but still no notice regarding interviews, etc.

I turned in my application the beginning of February and they emailed me back 2 weeks later saying my application had been complete... I called SFSU asking about interview requests and they said they should start sending them out any day now and to watch for my email.

I am thinking about re-applying to the program for Fall 2012 (was rejected for Fall 2011), but with rolling admissions I am wondering if it is too late to have any decent chance? I emailed the program and they said that the current deadline to apply for Fall 2012 is May 1st, which might get pushed back to June 1st.

Has anyone had an interview yet for this upcoming cohort that starts in June? I have mine on Saturday and I'm so nervous already!

I have mine next Saturday, April 21st!

I am stoked!

Yay! I just found out I got in for cohort 7. Now to figure out where to live :confused:

I just saw this reply from a long time ago.

I am a bitter applicant not because I got rejected. I've been rejected from colleges before (undergrad for example). The reason I'm bitter is because the people that ran this program are full of it. They calculated a wrong GPA for me, and I know this because they told me that my GPA was "so and so" when it wasn't. When I pointed it out, they acknowledged that they made the mistake and made no attempt to re-analyze my application or anything. They didn't acknowledge my clinical experience even though I did have it. And really what is most insulting is when they implied that my intentions were insincere and it was futile for me to try to even attempt pre-med.

Well, I've spoken to a number of people in admissions now at prospective medical schools I want to apply to (almost done with all my classes and ready to apply this summer) and they have all urged me to apply to their programs because they are looking for the diversity and experiences I offer. They've all been impressed with the things I have accomplished. I'll be sure to come back and post about getting accepted or not so this doesn't become something someone like you will say the ADCOMS are saying just to get money. So no, 0% chance I want to apply to the SFSU program.

This person's comment about a 2.5 is bull. The person from SFSU posting here saying CCT was 3.0 was at the low end. Keep in mind their application says 2.5 for consideration, so this guy here is admitting they just put that down to make money because 3.0 is getting admitted. The good story thing is also a load of bull. If you guys knew my story, you'd know that couldn't have been my issue. The same thing happened for my friend. She went to CSU-East Bay.

And lastly, the SFSU professors and administrators are leeches. Since I have taken classes around the bay area and have friends going there for science majors, I can tell you that nothing but negative things are said about the school. Furloughs are insane there, and I've spoken to many students talking about how condescending some professors are. After my experience with the administration, it doesn't surprise me at all. There's a reason why the bachelors graduation rate is 43% including transfer students. There's also a reason why their own statistics about the post-bacc don't even have an over ~79% admission rate into, not medical school, but they have to include people going into podiatry and nursing (program is not intended for them and is often the backup to medical school).

Seriously, to anyone applying, be warned. It's your business if you apply. I have nothing to gain by anyone applying or not. SFSU with their cuts will always have someone to fill a spot that is gone, and with the fact that I can't even possibly target (or will attempt to) more people than this thread, they will always have a surplus of applicants to seats. Again, I don't get any benefit at all from saying what I say. I'm just someone who has been through this and think other people should be warned before applying to this sketchy program/university. But go ahead, have a 1 in 5 chance that you won't be able to make it into even the backups like podiatry and nursing, while bringing 30k in debt upon yourself.

What you say is true about the general SFSU administration but certainly not the CCT/AET or Dental Post Bacc Programs here ( I would know, i'm a post-bacc here). The admins of this post-bacc program are thoughtful, caring people and do SO MUCH to make thing run smoothly for all post-baccs. Professors are great and truly do look out for their students, and do anything they can to make sure that students understand the material and do well.

My only complain is that I feel there is too much "hand holding" and "sheltering" in the program. They discourage CCT students from taking more than 8-9 units a semester. In no way is taking only 8-9 units of sciences (the CCT first year curriculum is physics + ochem) going to cut it for med school. You really must take at least 13 units and do well. Med schools and other professional schools look for applicants who take heavy science courseloads and excel, so that they can be prepared for the intense med-school curriculum.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is yeah, SFSU administration isn't perfect, but the post=bacc program is insulated from that and as a student here you'll see how this reflects. SFSU post-bacc isn't for everyone, but those who are here very much enjoy it.

I have my interview this saturday!!! Does anyone whose already gone through the interview process have any advice? was it more easy going or stressful? what kinds of questions did they ask?

I'll be there this saturday too!
Good luck on the interviews you two! The interviews were really relaxed and actually quite fun! I had my interview last weekend and found out just a few days ago that I was accepted! When you have your interviews, you'll be visiting with other current post-bacc students, along with Dr. Barry & Dr. Luna. In addition, you'll get to visit with some really great people who have also applied. Just go and be yourself and be prepared to share your story of how you came to your decision of wanting to be a Dr.

Last edited:
Anyone having any luck finding a place to live for June or know which neighborhoods are best? I'm not from the area and am kind of stressing.

Try looking in the Sunset. The Outer Sunset tends to be one of the most affordable parts of SF and is also fairly convenient to SFSU.

Anyone having any luck finding a place to live for June or know which neighborhoods are best? I'm not from the area and am kind of stressing.

I've just been accepted to Cohort C and will be going up there in June! I'm also not from the area. If you're a dude and are looking for a place to live, PM me.

Did you just find out huskydock? Waiting for news from last wk about CCT!

Hopefully you heard back by now. I found out the very next Thursday after my interview on Saturday!

Yes- I got an email on Sunday and will be joining Cohort 7. Looking forward to meeting you all! Is everyone planning to do the chem bootcamp?

Originally I had opted not to do the CHEM boot camp because I got a B in Chem 1 last spring, but after reading the most recent email, I'm a bit nervous about this Chem placement test. So...I probably will be doing the boot camp...I just gotta make sure I can find a place and be moved in on time.

Anyone having luck finding a place? I've got a family of 4 (3adults 1child) and 2 dogs just looking for an affordable (would like to pay 1300/month but maybe able to go to 1600/month) and safe 2-3 bdrm place. PM me if u have any recommendations

Hello everyone. I'm so glad I found this forum, hopefully some of you can provide me with some insights/advice as I am at a real crossroads regarding my future. Here are some basic facts about me. I'm 28 (soon to be 29) and really excited to be on the path towards a career in medicine. I'm a career changer who will be starting classes this summer. Here's the dilemma, I've been accepted into both SFSU and Saint George's postbacc program and I don't know which one to choose. Both programs have big advantages and disadvantages. I need to decide within the next week or so because classes for SFSU begin June 4th and I'm not currently living in SF. Here are the MAJOR pros and cons for each program respectively and contrastingly.

Saint George's

Pros

1 year postbacc program with immediate matriculation into their medical school (given that I satisfy a 3.5 or above postbacc gpa and a 24 or above MCAT score)

Cons

Living on a remote Caribbean Island for 3 years

Graduating as a Foreign Medical Grad and all the bs that comes with that

The risk of not making the 3.5 or above postbacc GPA requirement, and essentially losing all that time, money, effort etc.

SFSU

Pros

Great program/track record with high matriculation rate

Keeping the door open to the fairly good possibility of attending a US medical school

Cons

The fact that SFSU takes 3 years (inclusive of glide year) before matriculation into med school whereas Saint George's takes only one!

The need to achieve a much higher score on the MCAT

-----------------------------

So that's about the gist of it, I left out some less major points and a lot of minor points but I guess the biggest point of contention is 1 year vs 3/Foreign Medical Grad vs US med school.....

Being that I'm almost 29 I'd really like to get this show on the road and 2 years means a lot to me, but on the other hand when I think of the career I will have of lets say 20+ years, 2 years doesn't make a big difference...either way I'm really torn between the two and can't decide for the life of me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if you just name which program you'd rather attend given my reasons. Thanks! :confused:

I understand that being 28/29 and wanting to get the show on the road plays a huge factor in choosing St. George's over SFSU....

But the 2 extra years is definitely worth the security of being a US med grad. Especially if you're fairly intelligent and can achieve a good GPA and MCAT score, why would you want to deny yourself the chance at getting into a great US MD school? Plus, all that BS that comes with being an IMG...that would be enough to convince me to stay in the states. By becoming an IMG, you'd be really shooting yourself in the foot. You want to open doors, keep yourself in a good position to obtain competitive residencies in desirable areas after med school. From what I read/hear, being an IMG really limits you heavily, especially nowadays with new US medical schools opening up without new residency slots. My 0.02.

Thanks huskydock. I've made up my mind, I'm going to SFSU. You're right, if I'm going to do this I should do it the best way I can, not necessarily the fastest. I didn't know about the new medical schools opening up without additional residency positions becoming available, wow! And I agree, being a US medical grad will definitely afford a higher quality of life and career in most cases. Thanks again for your input!

for those of you accepted into the summer program and submitted the intent letter as well as the $500 non-refundable, did you get follow up emails regarding how to enroll?

Yes. There was an email that came from Shannon Anderson with a bunch of info about registration, boot camps, schedule, etc. I'd definitely send them an email to make sure that they got your stuff and that the follow-up email got sent to the correct address!

thanks for the info! i will def. email them haha

thanks for the info! i will def. email them haha

They are also emailing/calling to set up advising appointments to help pick your summer session classes. You can email Michael small about that as well.

Yea I am! I haven't submitted my app yet but will be submitting today. Good luck to u! Did u submit us already? :):thumbup::thumbup::)

Yayy!! Yeah I submitted mine just recently. Good luck to you too!! :) :)

Just submitted my application as well. Hopefully I'll have better luck than with the UC post bacs. xD Good luck to all. =D