*** Official *** SFSU (San Francisco State University) Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So would we have to re-apply for spring?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back from admissions for spring 2016?
I emailed them and they said they'll be reviewing applications within the next 3 weeks! Hopefully we hear something soon, since I applied in early August I've been super antsy to hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them and they said they'll be reviewing applications within the next 3 weeks! Hopefully we hear something soon, since I applied in early August I've been super antsy to hear back.

Great to hear! I applied in early August as well. I called them after your post and the person who answered the phone told me that they have already began reviewing applications and that everyone should hear word by December 9th.

I received an email a couple of weeks ago saying that they will take no students for Spring 2016, and that they are trying to get the program approved by for Fall 2016. They told me that I have a guaranteed interview, so I'm just waiting on that.

I got accepted, but I decided to start Fall 2016 :)

Congrats! Are you allowed to "defer" the start date? I have an interview for the summer term this coming week but was hoping to see if I can defer the start date to Fall 2016.

Congrats! Are you allowed to "defer" the start date? I have an interview for the summer term this coming week but was hoping to see if I can defer the start date to Fall 2016.
Well I applied for Fall 2015 but since they didn't have the program approved I interviewed for this year. I'm thinking you can choose the start date you want. That's what the instructions that came with my acceptance letter said.

ooohhh okay. I applied to the summer 2016 session but since classes start in 2 weeks, i'm not even sure what classes are still open haha

Hey guys!!

So I just applied for Fall 2016 and I am so nervous! I got an email a week ago saying that my app was sent to the intended grad progam. How long after that would it take to hear back from them?
I know their minimum GPA is 2.5 and I graduated from UCSD with a 3.2. My freshman year was horrible and totally destroyed my GPA (overall GPA of like 2.1) . But you can see that after I had avg GPAs of 3.6-3.75 each quarter
so I did improve a ton and I also did a bunch of extra curriculars.What do you guys think my chances of being accepted are?

Thanks and good luck to all of you :)

Does anyone know if it's possible to take night classes with their formal post-bacc program? I work a 9-5 job so I'm wondering if making the Berk ext post bacc would be better for me.

Has anyone who applied for Fall 2016 heard back about interviews yet? Any clue what the turnaround is on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just heard back for an interview next week! Any tips for the interview?

I just heard back for an interview next week! Any tips for the interview?
Same! Also, any feedback on the chances of getting accepted by SFSU after being offered an interview? If accepted, the probability of being accepted into medical school after successful completion of the program?

Same! Also, any feedback on the chances of getting accepted by SFSU after being offered an interview? If accepted, the probability of being accepted into medical school after successful completion of the program?

You most likely got the interview because the admissions committee thought your chances of getting into a health profession school down the line was favorable. Good luck on that interview and enjoy your journey :)

See you guys for Fall 2016!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone,

For those of you hearing back about interviews can I ask when you submitted your applications, GPAs, etc? I am currently hoping to hear back about an interview, but nothing so far. The anxiety level is high. Trying to remain optimistic and also wondering if they have sent any outright rejection letters yet..............

Hey Everyone,

For those of you hearing back about interviews can I ask when you submitted your applications, GPAs, etc? I am currently hoping to hear back about an interview, but nothing so far. The anxiety level is high. Trying to remain optimistic and also wondering if they have sent any outright rejection letters yet..............

I interviewed a little less than two weeks ago, and I just received my letter of acceptance today! I submitted my transcripts and letters relatively early, but the final application I submitted a day or two before the due date. I highly suggest calling them.

I also have been accepted into the UCB extension program? Any thoughts on what the better program is?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I posted this on the Penn post-bac forum, but I'm curious how the SFSU folks would weight in...

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I was accepted at LMU, SFSU, and UPenn's PB programs. I'm currently a CA resident, but grew up in NEPA and still have family in the state. I'm a non traditional student (29yo) and recent graduate of UCLA (psych). My GPA is 3.64, definitely a career changer (only completed intro bio and intro chem courses to transfer), I've got volunteer experience in hospital with UCLA Health, research experience at UCLA (psych), and volunteering experience in a few other non-medical-related positions. Haven't taken the MCAT or GRE.

LMU is no longer on the table, as both individuals who interviewed me (program director and program coordinator) have since resigned. Although it would be convenient to go to LMU, there are too many cons at is point to even consider it (still a little salty about the $500 to "hold" my spot).

What I'm really having trouble with is deciding between Penn and SFSU. Here's what I've found/my thoughts on each program so far:

Penn - Pros
Ivy League prestige
Linkages to great medical schools and name recognition
Cheaper to live in Philly, but more expensive to attend Penn
Discounts on MCAT prep (Kaplan, Princeton)
Tutoring available
Personalized advising (anyone confirm how "individualized" this is?)
Application assistance, mock interviews, workshops/seminars, committee letter
Plenty of research and volunteer opportunities in Philadelphia

Family relatively nearby (read: support system)
Public transit available (no experience with it, myself)

East coast attitudes/values (as opposed to SoCal)
I keep seeing different numbers, but a ~60% acceptance to medschool

Penn - Cons

Competitive atmosphere
Competitive curving (both of ease are cons-ish, depending on how well you do in classes, I assume)
Moves me from California, reducing the already slim chances of getting into a California medschool (I'd love to go to Geffen, but their acceptance is like 3%? Lol)

SFSU - Pros
Community/cooperative atmosphere
Well-known post bac in California

Highly selective with applicants (or so I've been told)
Tutoring available
MCAT prep
Personalized advising (though I've heard his can be difficult to obtain, beyond he first appointment)
Application assistance, mock interviews, professional colloquium, committee letter packet
I would remain a California resident
Great public transit
Volunteer opportunities nearby, research I'm not so sure
Family still in LA, so not too far and have a friend who also got into the program
Cheaper than Penn
"Overall success rate of 80%" (assuming that means getting into medschools)

SFSU - Cons

Doesn't have the prestige of Penn, but is still a respected program
No linkages (though I've read that they're either impossible to get or not really important anyway?)
Affordable housing is near impossible to find
San Francisco can be terribly pretentious in a way that's different than how pretentious Los Angeles can be (lol)

At this point, it seems like the cost of attending Penn is counterbalanced by the cost of livin in San Francisco, so cost may no longer be a distinguishing factor between the two programs.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated!

Maybe those of you who got interviews over the summer and are currently attending can come back and share their thoughts/ experiences please? lol
I've got an interview in mid November. Out of my other options, CSUEB and UCBX, this is looking like one to go for, but I'm still unsure.

I have my interview this Saturday at SF State for the formal post-bac, and I'm starting to feel nervous/excited!! Anyone know what questions will be asked? Also, is this interview a formality or does acceptance into the program rely heavily on what is said this weekend? Any advice/tips would be great!!

Anyone have an interview last Saturday (6/10/17)?

Has anyone heard anything regarding the Fall cohort? I haven't heard anything and I applied back in late April, so I'm just assuming it's a lost cause at this point. It's a little weird that this forum has been so dead. Any thoughts appreciated :)

Has anyone heard anything regarding the Fall cohort? I haven't heard anything and I applied back in late April, so I'm just assuming it's a lost cause at this point. It's a little weird that this forum has been so dead. Any thoughts appreciated :)
Hey! It seems they just finished selecting the first or second round if applicants for interviews. There is an interview today 6/24.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Hope everyone is having a great summer! Southeast Health Center, a community health clinic in the Bayview, is looking for volunteer medical scribes. We have 4 SFSU post bac students/alums here at SEHC and would love to bring on some more.

We feel that the experience of scribing here at Southeast Health Center is unique in 3 main ways:
1.) Our scribes gain experience working with an underserved patient population.
2.) We run specialized clinics for patients transitioning from incarceration, patients with HIV, and patients with diabetes. Scribing in these clinics gives students the chance to learn about the particular challenges involved in caring for each of these especially vulnerable patient populations.
3.) Scribes are rarely used in a primary care setting like our clinic, so scribing here gives students a unique view into the life of a primary care provider. There is a shortage of primary care providers in our healthcare system, and we hope to inspire the next generation of pre-health students to fill this need.
I'm now wondering if there are any campus events, online postings, or other avenues for connecting with your students. If there are any students who you feel would be a particularly good fit for this position, I would love to talk to them.

We're open M-F 8:00-5:00. We have 2 sessions every day: an AM session (8:00-12:00) and a PM session (1:00-5:00). Our scribes work for the whole session alongside providers. We require a minimum of 2 sessions per week, but would obviously love more if you're able.

PM me if you're interested!

Hi everyone, I had my interview on July 1st (the last interview). I was told "that decisions will be made early next week. Applicants that are accepted will be notified by email as well" in an email I received last Friday. I am wondering if anyone has heard back yet as Tuesday is ending soon and after not having heard back I am starting to get a little nervous. Anyone else hear back yet?

Hi everyone, I had my interview on July 1st (the last interview). I was told "that decisions will be made early next week. Applicants that are accepted will be notified by email as well" in an email I received last Friday. I am wondering if anyone has heard back yet as Tuesday is ending soon and after not having heard back I am starting to get a little nervous. Anyone else hear back yet?
I had my interview on 6/24 and found out on 6/24.

You could always send an email to PHAP, to get an update.

I had my interview on 6/24 and found out on 6/24.

You could always send an email to PHAP, to get an update.

I will wait until later today to see if they email me. I am trying to remain positive as the interview went well and the interviewer said she really liked my reasons for being a doctor. If nothing today I will email them.

I will wait until later today to see if they email me. I am trying to remain positive as the interview went well and the interviewer said she really liked my reasons for being a doctor. If nothing today I will email them.

Hi, I also had my interview on July 1st and I heard back last Thursday (7/6). You should definitely contact them!

Hi, I also had my interview on July 1st and I heard back last Thursday (7/6). You should definitely contact them!

I did and they arnt replying so maybe i didnt get in. :(

I am! I am worried I won't have a chance because of my low GPA. I am applying to the AET

I'm also going for the AET! Just submitted a few days ago :) I'm sure you'll be fine; this program is for people with low GPA's. What's your GPA if you don't mind me asking?

I am! I am worried I won't have a chance because of my low GPA. I am applying to the AET

You will never know if you don’t apply. My gpa isn’t the greatest and i applied for the summer 2018 on the first day the application opened. I think February 1st. Got an interview.

You will never know if you don’t apply. My gpa isn’t the greatest and i applied for the summer 2018 on the first day the application opened. I think February 1st. Got an interview.
I'm nervous, I applied around late February for Summer and haven't heard back yet!

Oh yeah i got accepted for th summer session. Not sure if I’m going to go or not. I’m weighing my options between getting this pot bacc or getting a masters so i think I’m going to delay my acceptance offer until the fall.

I would like to speak to someone who has been through this program as this would be a big move for me as i live on the east coast and i am currently an engineer. Anybody open to an open and honest convo about their experience?

I applied for Summer 2018 and I have not heard back yet. I emailed the admissions office and they told me that they are still offering interviews on a rolling basis. Does anyone know when they stop offering interviews for the summer? I am beginning to become nervous.

I applied for Summer 2018 and I have not heard back yet. I emailed the admissions office and they told me that they are still offering interviews on a rolling basis. Does anyone know when they stop offering interviews for the summer? I am beginning to become nervous.
I heard the same thing

I emailed them and they said they were sending out invitations throughout April. I haven't received anything either. =(

I just called. They said that for Summer they are still rolling out invites on a case-by-case basis. He stated that they will notify via email whether we are invited or rejected.

Also said that MOST invites were sent early-mid april

I finally received an interview offer last week via email. They have an interview day on May 4th, though I am unsure how many more sessions they will have. I'll update everyone if I learn more info. I hope you get an offer soon too!

I submitted my app on April 30th and still haven't heard anything back... what number or email should I use to contact them for an update??

I think that they are still interviewing for Summer only. They start offering fall interviews in June and July. You can call the number on the website for the program to get more info if you are unsure. I interviewed for the program on May 4th and have not heard back regarding summer admission. Anyone interview on that day or after and hear back yet? Thanks all!

I think that they are still interviewing for Summer only. They start offering fall interviews in June and July. You can call the number on the website for the program to get more info if you are unsure. I interviewed for the program on May 4th and have not heard back regarding summer admission. Anyone interview on that day or after and hear back yet? Thanks all!
I just never even got an interview LOL

Any tips on how to best prepare for the interview? I got an invite recently, and I'm really nervous.

Any tips on how to best prepare for the interview? I got an invite recently, and I'm really nervous.

The interview itself was very chill. They try to replicate med school interview but it’s nowhere near as stressful. Just be prepared to answe why do you want to be in this program.

The interview itself was very chill. They try to replicate med school interview but it’s nowhere near as stressful. Just be prepared to answe why do you want to be in this program.
I heard from a friend that there was a portion of the interview in a group where you'd work in teams with people who are also applicants?

I heard from a friend that there was a portion of the interview in a group where you'd work in teams with people who are also applicants?

Yup there is. It was pretty straightforward. I think they just want to make sure people who are applying are there for the right reasons.

Yup there is. It was pretty straightforward. I think they just want to make sure people who are applying are there for the right reasons.
Don't they also want to make sure how well you work in a group setting? Also would you say the interview is merely a formality or do you have to kill it to get in? See that we're both born in the same year, you think I'll be one of the oldest among my cohort? Thanks for all the replies thus far!