Official pulmonary critical care 2016-2017 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any comments on sunny down state vs Nj Rutgers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

NJ Rutgers. People are really nice, ultrasound heavy. Immune compromised exposure at the private hospital (hollenbeck or whatever back). Not much Pulm. Absence of ph. No ecmo. Clinical based for sure in icu.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We can all rank till the 16th. After that, paranoia sets in (if it hasn't already) till Match Day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
A fellow just told me that during his application time, he initially accepted a critical care fellowship offer however he later matched into a pulm crit program so he canceled his ccm contract. Is that even possible?

any use in emailing an updated CV to PDs if the changes are anything but a legit publication? i'm assuming not

A fellow just told me that during his application time, he initially accepted a critical care fellowship offer however he later matched into a pulm crit program so he canceled his ccm contract. Is that even possible?

That is illegal once some accepts (signs the ccm congract) they should withdraw from the NRMP match.

Members don't see this ad :)
any use in emailing an updated CV to PDs if the changes are anything but a legit publication? i'm assuming not

There's never a reason to email an updated cv. Even if you got published since your interview you can mention it in an update letter or email.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Any thoughts on NSLIJ and UK..i am focused clinically...

I got 3 emails today from programs saying that they think I would make a great fit and they look forward to having on their team.
Does that mean anything whatsoever ??

I got 3 emails today from programs saying that they think I would make a great fit and they look forward to having on their team.
Guess we'll find out in about three weeks, huh?

I think it means they think you're a great fit and they look forward to having you on their team.

But I'm probably reading too much into it.

Reactions: 6 users
Guys I need last minute help.
How would you rank these PCCM programs:
1. USF Tampa
2. UK Lexington
3. Henry Ford
4. UT Toledo
5. University of Tennessee Knoxville

I'm mainly interested procedures and clinical training. I don't mind busy programs.

Thank you in advance

Guys I need last minute help.
How would you rank these PCCM programs:
1. USF Tampa
2. UK Lexington
3. Henry Ford
4. UT Toledo
5. University of Tennessee Knoxville

I'm mainly interested procedures and clinical training. I don't mind busy programs.

Thank you in advance
I think they look good the way they are ! I have been to 4/5 of them ( except Tampa )

everybody wanna start submitting anonymous program reviews? is @jdh71 willing to be the one to post them?

also, should we make a separate thread for them so that next year's class has an easier time finding them?

everybody wanna start submitting anonymous program reviews? is @jdh71 willing to be the one to post them?

also, should we make a separate thread for them so that next year's class has an easier time finding them?

I'm down for it. But just to be clear it may be a few days between you sending them and me posting because of reasons.

rejection from UCSF...five days after ROLs got locked

sarah-palin-dancing.jpg

HPI: 30yoM w/o sig med hx p/w repeated episodes of L-sided chest pressure/diaphoresis/nausea predictably elicited by realizations that Dec 7 is only a few days away.

Reactions: 1 users
HPI: 30yoM w/o sig med hx p/w repeated episodes of L-sided chest pressure/diaphoresis/nausea predictably elicited by realizations that Dec 7 is only a few days away.
But just in case, we're going to go ahead and cath you anyway.

Sepsis alert triggered due to HR and RR. Will get stat blood culture, start inappropriate antibiotics right away (to meet quality metrics), stat lactic acid and repeat in 6 hrs (again, to meet quality metrics), NPO in case you need stat cath - serial troponins, as well as inappropriate monitoring of pro-calcitonin level.

Critical care time: 40 minutes (99291)

Sepsis alert triggered due to HR and RR. Will get stat blood culture, start inappropriate antibiotics right away (to meet quality metrics), stat lactic acid and repeat in 6 hrs (again, to meet quality metrics), NPO in case you need stat cath - serial troponins, as well as inappropriate monitoring of pro-calcitonin level.

#anotherboatpayment

Do programs know who they matched before applicants? Or if they matched all their spots before 12/07/16? Just curious if its like for residency...

The process is exactly the same. Exactly.

So programs knew yesterday if they matched all of their spots or not? But did not know whom they matched?

I didn't know this applied for fellowship, only residency. Hence me asking.

So programs knew yesterday if they matched all of their spots or not? But did not know whom they matched?

I didn't know this applied for fellowship, only residency. Hence me asking.

Since there's no SOAP/scramble I don't think the programs get to find out a week early whether they've filled all their spots. Likewise you don't get an email a week early telling you that you matched but not where.

Interview reviews...

Boston U:
Primary research area(s): Stem cell
Very well-rounded program with tons of high-quality research. PD is basically a loving mother; residents seemed to hail from pretty research-heavy residencies; alumni go into both academics and private practice. Great VA experience (West Roxbury) with very complex/sick vets from all over New England. No in-house transplant, but there's an option to rotated at B&W (or was it BID?) to get transplant experience if you so choose. Hospital is pretty old but the research facilities are quite nice. Very little ECMO, if any. Great choice if you want a low-key yet pretty academic program.

Creighton:
Primary research area(s): Not much; it's a clinical program
PD is one of the most memorable characters you'll meet (in a good way); he doesn't fake anything and fights for his fellows. I was a bit worried about where the fellowship is heading, though, because of corporate stuff that's going down; in my understanding, the "academic" hospital will be relocating to a big (previously private) hospital across town, but there will be several other community hospitals across the metro area. As a result, fellows will be covering multiple hospitals but will not be the primary team for any CCU patients; they will only function as CC consultants (i.e., all ICUs will be open at all of the hospitals). They also lost essentially all of their CF patients to U Nebraska bc of some corporate drama. Probably a good fit if you want a purely clinical program in an affordable midwestern city. VA is shared with U Nebraska.

Dartmouth:
Primary research area(s): Outcomes research I guess, but it's primarily a clinical program
Beautiful hospital, very small fellowship (1 per class), but they have CC fellows who help cover the units. Overall, seemed like a pretty cush fellowship. Tiny town, not much to do obviously. Faculty were laid back.

Iowa:
Primary research area(s): CF powerhouse
Not sure if it counts as a "hidden" gem, but they'd be extremely competitive if they weren't in the middle of nowhere. Very nice hospital, large faculty, and they've got a phenomenal record when it comes to getting their alumni on K grants (their PowerPoint included a slide with like ~25 alumni over the past decade who've gotten Ks; PD (who's one of the nicest/most gentle people I've ever met) said they haven't had anyone fail to get a K over the last ten years). Brand new medical school building with an attached research tower, the top floor of which belongs to Pulmonary. Cool ferret model of CF. Faculty were all very engaging and laid back. I also thought they had the best teaching conferences I saw on the trail: faculty were extremely involved, good mix of fellows presenting vs faculty teaching. They also probably had the best airway training of any program I saw (i.e., they've protected their turf from encroachment by ENT/Anesth.) along with superb ultrasound training. Not a great continuity clinic experience as an F1 bc they're on inpatient so much. Only real drawback of the curriculum is that it appears you're plopped into the same 28-bed MICU for like six months of F1 year. Overall, very very good program in a very affordable city.

Nebraska:
Primary research area(s): Not much, basically a clinical program
Jack of all trades, master of none. Transplant program is just getting off the ground after taking a hiatus for a couple years, apparently. Fellows are essentially all headed to clinical careers and most of them are from the area/trained in Omaha. VA is shared with Creighton. Nothing really stands out about them, so it's a solid pick if you're headed into clinical practice and want an affordable city during fellowship.

Ohio State:
Primary research area(s): Smattering of everything; decent ARDS research
Massive freaking medical center. Pretty nice facilities. I had a tough time getting a feel for whether they fall on the "academic" side of the fence vs the "clinical" side; most fellows are involved in legit research but they're not exactly pumping out academic faculty. One thing the fellows emphasized was that the moonlighting opportunities are excellent. Residents tend to be extremely involved/competent on the critical care/procedural side of things. Columbus is solid yet affordable. Fantastic choice if you want well-rounded training with options for academia in the future without being stuck on the conveyor belt of a more traditional "academic powerhouse".

OHSU:
Primary research area(s): Asthma/COPD, couple of niche areas (mycobacteria, VA outcomes), some ARDS work
As everybody always says: Beautiful campus and Portland is great. Faculty is quite small (only on the order of a dozen or so, I think). They've also got this interesting "PD by committee" thing going where it seems like three different faculty basically alternate being PD? I was kinda confused. Good research $$ and they have a T32. Fellows get superb training in radiology; also great pager coverage for when you're not in clinic/not on campus. Several CC-only fellows to help take the pressure off the PCCM fellows. You also cover the big community/safety net hospital in downtown Portland, which has its own IM residency; residents at the downtown program tend to be more critical care-focused, OHSU residents at the mothership are more primary care-focused (but still competent/engaged in the unit, when necessary). Fellows here were probably the happiest/least worn-down of any I met.

UAB:
Primary research area(s): ILD, COPD
Program on the rise, for sure. They've tripled their number of faculty over the past ~5yrs (now up to >60) and have moved into the Top 10 nationally when it comes to pulmonary NIH funding. Fellows looked like they work really freaking hard but they like the institution. Not the nicest of hospitals, but it's convenient how the med center/VA/clinics are all attached. PD and APD are both very chill. You could prob go here and do research on whatever the hell you wanted and they'd find support for you to do it. Prob one of the best pulm programs in the South, if that's your thing.

UC Davis:
Primary research area(s): Not much, but they're doing some cool stuff with informatics in critical care
Wayyyyy more clinical than I expected. Critical care-heavy program, too. PD is a bit of an odd bird but the faculty seemed nice overall. Fellows were essentially all headed into clinical practice. Sacramento is nice (actually affordable for California, great weather, nearby skiing); one drawback of their med center is that the clinics are a few miles away from the main hospital. No transplant but they do most other things. Great procedural experience, particularly on the IP side.

UVA:
Primary research area(s): Transplant, CF
Pretty clinical program, but plenty of legit research opportunities. Sounds like they use an institution-wide T32 instead of a pulm-specific T32. PD will be retiring in the very near future. One drawback is that they don't have a good night coverage system, so the unit months can get a bit brutal. Hospital is meh. Charlottesville is beautiful but small/remote. They're primarily focused on churning out private practice docs but they've had a good swath of alumni stay in academics, including at UVA.

Utah:
Primary research area(s): ARDS, critical care powerhouse
Fantastic program. Plenty of research $$$, their big county hospital is bit of a critical care Mecca. Faculty are very "west coast"ish as far as personality goes; lots of Colorado/UW influence on the program, both via faculty and via fellows. A particular twist on their curriculum that I liked is that their CC electives are two week blocks that you can mix/match; looks like you get a lot more variety than you would get at comparable academic programs (i.e., you're not marooned in the same MICU for half of F1 year and then the same SICU for a couple more blocks). SLC exceeded expectations, you're *right* next to the mountains, very affordable city. Super solid spot that will keep all academic doors open while still giving you great clinical training, IMO.

Vermont:
Primary research area(s): Asthma
Boutique program at a fairly small hospital but they punch above their weight (lots of ATS big whigs floating around). Standard curriculum but no transplant; T32 available. Burlington is beautiful, of course; kinda expensive for a college town. Pretty small data set when it comes to alumni outcomes, but my impression is that they don't have difficulty landing academic gigs if they so choose. Nice mix of an academic feel without being overbearing.

Washington:
Primary research area(s): Basically everything except ILD; also tons of non-univ institutes in Seattle where past fellows have found research mentors
Quintessential academic mothership. Standout aspect is their method of grooming physician-scientists and the systematic way in which they get you linked up with mentors and queued up to hit the ground running in Month 18. Two mini-sabbatical periods during F1 year where you get to meet with prospective mentors, figure out project ideas, etc. Harborview is a trauma/critical care/ARDS powerhouse. UW gets all the obscure quaternary referral stuff. VA is huge. Drawback is that their hospitals are scattered all over the city and traffic is nightmarish, but fellows didn't complain about it too much. Their faculty is basically saturated, so if you wanna go into academics, you'd prob have to leave Seattle after graduation. If you want a big league place that will get you published, get you a K, and give you great odds of getting an R, this is it (and the city is way nicer than most of the other places where comparable programs are located). The views from Harborview are :nod:

Reactions: 2 users
These should really get their own thread

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

But just in case, we're going to go ahead and cath you anyway.

Hey, you're the internist and I'm the ER doc - I thought I'm supposed to be the one admitting 30y/o with CP while you mock me from the doctor's lounge?

Don't forget the d-dimer, BNP, bedside echo, and CTPA.

Interview reviews...

Boston U:
Primary research area(s): Stem cell
Very well-rounded program with tons of high-quality research. PD is basically a loving mother; residents seemed to hail from pretty research-heavy residencies; alumni go into both academics and private practice. Great VA experience (West Roxbury) with very complex/sick vets from all over New England. No in-house transplant, but there's an option to rotated at B&W (or was it BID?) to get transplant experience if you so choose. Hospital is pretty old but the research facilities are quite nice. Very little ECMO, if any. Great choice if you want a low-key yet pretty academic program.

Creighton:
Primary research area(s): Not much; it's a clinical program
PD is one of the most memorable characters you'll meet (in a good way); he doesn't fake anything and fights for his fellows. I was a bit worried about where the fellowship is heading, though, because of corporate stuff that's going down; in my understanding, the "academic" hospital will be relocating to a big (previously private) hospital across town, but there will be several other community hospitals across the metro area. As a result, fellows will be covering multiple hospitals but will not be the primary team for any CCU patients; they will only function as CC consultants (i.e., all ICUs will be open at all of the hospitals). They also lost essentially all of their CF patients to U Nebraska bc of some corporate drama. Probably a good fit if you want a purely clinical program in an affordable midwestern city. VA is shared with U Nebraska.

Dartmouth:
Primary research area(s): Outcomes research I guess, but it's primarily a clinical program
Beautiful hospital, very small fellowship (1 per class), but they have CC fellows who help cover the units. Overall, seemed like a pretty cush fellowship. Tiny town, not much to do obviously. Faculty were laid back.

Iowa:
Primary research area(s): CF powerhouse
Not sure if it counts as a "hidden" gem, but they'd be extremely competitive if they weren't in the middle of nowhere. Very nice hospital, large faculty, and they've got a phenomenal record when it comes to getting their alumni on K grants (their PowerPoint included a slide with like ~25 alumni over the past decade who've gotten Ks; PD (who's one of the nicest/most gentle people I've ever met) said they haven't had anyone fail to get a K over the last ten years). Brand new medical school building with an attached research tower, the top floor of which belongs to Pulmonary. Cool ferret model of CF. Faculty were all very engaging and laid back. I also thought they had the best teaching conferences I saw on the trail: faculty were extremely involved, good mix of fellows presenting vs faculty teaching. They also probably had the best airway training of any program I saw (i.e., they've protected their turf from encroachment by ENT/Anesth.) along with superb ultrasound training. Not a great continuity clinic experience as an F1 bc they're on inpatient so much. Only real drawback of the curriculum is that it appears you're plopped into the same 28-bed MICU for like six months of F1 year. Overall, very very good program in a very affordable city.

Nebraska:
Primary research area(s): Not much, basically a clinical program
Jack of all trades, master of none. Transplant program is just getting off the ground after taking a hiatus for a couple years, apparently. Fellows are essentially all headed to clinical careers and most of them are from the area/trained in Omaha. VA is shared with Creighton. Nothing really stands out about them, so it's a solid pick if you're headed into clinical practice and want an affordable city during fellowship.

Ohio State:
Primary research area(s): Smattering of everything; decent ARDS research
Massive freaking medical center. Pretty nice facilities. I had a tough time getting a feel for whether they fall on the "academic" side of the fence vs the "clinical" side; most fellows are involved in legit research but they're not exactly pumping out academic faculty. One thing the fellows emphasized was that the moonlighting opportunities are excellent. Residents tend to be extremely involved/competent on the critical care/procedural side of things. Columbus is solid yet affordable. Fantastic choice if you want well-rounded training with options for academia in the future without being stuck on the conveyor belt of a more traditional "academic powerhouse".

OHSU:
Primary research area(s): Asthma/COPD, couple of niche areas (mycobacteria, VA outcomes), some ARDS work
As everybody always says: Beautiful campus and Portland is great. Faculty is quite small (only on the order of a dozen or so, I think). They've also got this interesting "PD by committee" thing going where it seems like three different faculty basically alternate being PD? I was kinda confused. Good research $$ and they have a T32. Fellows get superb training in radiology; also great pager coverage for when you're not in clinic/not on campus. Several CC-only fellows to help take the pressure off the PCCM fellows. You also cover the big community/safety net hospital in downtown Portland, which has its own IM residency; residents at the downtown program tend to be more critical care-focused, OHSU residents at the mothership are more primary care-focused (but still competent/engaged in the unit, when necessary). Fellows here were probably the happiest/least worn-down of any I met.

UAB:
Primary research area(s): ILD, COPD
Program on the rise, for sure. They've tripled their number of faculty over the past ~5yrs (now up to >60) and have moved into the Top 10 nationally when it comes to pulmonary NIH funding. Fellows looked like they work really freaking hard but they like the institution. Not the nicest of hospitals, but it's convenient how the med center/VA/clinics are all attached. PD and APD are both very chill. You could prob go here and do research on whatever the hell you wanted and they'd find support for you to do it. Prob one of the best pulm programs in the South, if that's your thing.

UC Davis:
Primary research area(s): Not much, but they're doing some cool stuff with informatics in critical care
Wayyyyy more clinical than I expected. Critical care-heavy program, too. PD is a bit of an odd bird but the faculty seemed nice overall. Fellows were essentially all headed into clinical practice. Sacramento is nice (actually affordable for California, great weather, nearby skiing); one drawback of their med center is that the clinics are a few miles away from the main hospital. No transplant but they do most other things. Great procedural experience, particularly on the IP side.

UVA:
Primary research area(s): Transplant, CF
Pretty clinical program, but plenty of legit research opportunities. Sounds like they use an institution-wide T32 instead of a pulm-specific T32. PD will be retiring in the very near future. One drawback is that they don't have a good night coverage system, so the unit months can get a bit brutal. Hospital is meh. Charlottesville is beautiful but small/remote. They're primarily focused on churning out private practice docs but they've had a good swath of alumni stay in academics, including at UVA.

Utah:
Primary research area(s): ARDS, critical care powerhouse
Fantastic program. Plenty of research $$$, their big county hospital is bit of a critical care Mecca. Faculty are very "west coast"ish as far as personality goes; lots of Colorado/UW influence on the program, both via faculty and via fellows. A particular twist on their curriculum that I liked is that their CC electives are two week blocks that you can mix/match; looks like you get a lot more variety than you would get at comparable academic programs (i.e., you're not marooned in the same MICU for half of F1 year and then the same SICU for a couple more blocks). SLC exceeded expectations, you're *right* next to the mountains, very affordable city. Super solid spot that will keep all academic doors open while still giving you great clinical training, IMO.

Vermont:
Primary research area(s): Asthma
Boutique program at a fairly small hospital but they punch above their weight (lots of ATS big whigs floating around). Standard curriculum but no transplant; T32 available. Burlington is beautiful, of course; kinda expensive for a college town. Pretty small data set when it comes to alumni outcomes, but my impression is that they don't have difficulty landing academic gigs if they so choose. Nice mix of an academic feel without being overbearing.

Washington:
Primary research area(s): Basically everything except ILD; also tons of non-univ institutes in Seattle where past fellows have found research mentors
Quintessential academic mothership. Standout aspect is their method of grooming physician-scientists and the systematic way in which they get you linked up with mentors and queued up to hit the ground running in Month 18. Two mini-sabbatical periods during F1 year where you get to meet with prospective mentors, figure out project ideas, etc. Harborview is a trauma/critical care/ARDS powerhouse. UW gets all the obscure quaternary referral stuff. VA is huge. Drawback is that their hospitals are scattered all over the city and traffic is nightmarish, but fellows didn't complain about it too much. Their faculty is basically saturated, so if you wanna go into academics, you'd prob have to leave Seattle after graduation. If you want a big league place that will get you published, get you a K, and give you great odds of getting an R, this is it (and the city is way nicer than most of the other places where comparable programs are located). The views from Harborview are :nod:

UW is amazing, definitely. I still remember doing a subinternship in the Burn Unit at Harborview as a 4th year student. The view from the old VA Hospital is even more amazing. On a clear day you can see Mt. Rainier from the south facing windows......