{}{}{}***{}{}{}| Official Premed Application Thread for INTERNATIONAL Students |{}{}{}**{}{}{}

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3 so far. a handful of rejections, waiting to hear back from about 20ish schools as well. It's still early-ish? Why do i have the feeling that they also often hold international student applications until most others come through as well. The whole considered as normal applicant spiel is suspicious?
You already have 3 interviews, many international students and even american students would kill for just 1 lol. You'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I stupidly didnt finish my secondaries by late Sep, but I have 5 IIs (2 rejections and 3 schools I didnt receive a secondary from). LizzyM = 80. Tbh nothing really helps the anxiety

Hey Internationals! How are things going?

Anyone else applying next coming cycle of 2017? What are your plans until then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently got accepted into one of my top choices it really is possible! Good luck to all my fellow international students applying this cycle!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Recently got accepted into one of my top choices it really is possible! Good luck to all my fellow international students applying this cycle!!

Congratulations
Are you Canadian?
If you can give us some details, it would be appreciated. Like your school, MCAT and GPA. Also whether they offered you scholarships or not.

Congratulations
Are you Canadian?
If you can give us some details, it would be appreciated. Like your school, MCAT and GPA. Also whether they offered you scholarships or not.
Thank you so much !
Non Canadian, LizzyM is about 70. Unfortunately, no scholarship was offered. PM me if you'd like more info !

Non Canadian, LizzyM > 80. No scholarships but it's a state school so I don't expect any.

Canadian, Lizzy M 68-73, 6 interviews, no acceptances yet

Canadian P.R, but not citizen. Not sure if considered Canadian. Only 1 interview yet. Waiting to hear from 18 schools.

Non Canadian international. Lizzy M: 71.5. One MD II, put on hold (not too hopeful about it). Five DO interviews, 3 acceptances so far. For internationals with borderline stats, I highly recommend applying to DO schools. They're much more international friendly.

Reactions: 1 users
Non-Canadian international but have Canadian PR (I don't think this really helps any), LM ~68. 4 MD II's, accepted to one, waiting to hear back from the other 3. I have a heavy research background so most of my questions were more "Why not MD/PhD" as opposed to "Where would you like to practice?" (To be fair, I did talk a bit about my entire family leaving corrupt home country for a better life in some essays).

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted where I interviewed, silence/rejections everywhere else :S

Accepted to 4 places, waiting on 2

Congrats on those with acceptances! How's the finaid/deposits in escrow situation going? The whole not having an American cosigner is screwing me over..

Just to clarify, non-Canadian international students aren't filling out the FAFSA, yes? Just the CSS for the schools that give out loans/grants for us?

Yup! Non-citizens don't fill out FAFSA. You just submit the CSS Profile to schools that consider giving out loans to non-citizens.

Hi Anthrax175! Do you mind sharing the list of schools that you applied to? I'm trying to decide on which schools I should apply to :)
My School List was:
Stanford
USC
UCLA
UCSF
UC Davis
UC Irvine (yes lol I really wanted to go to Cali)
Yale
Georgetown
Northwestern
UChicago
Harvard
Tufts
BU
JHU
WUSTL
Duke
Dartmouth
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Case Western
UPenn
UPitt
Brown
Vanderbilt
UVA

My School List was:
Stanford
USC
UCLA
UCSF
UC Davis
Yale
Georgetown
Northwestern
UChicago
Harvard
Tufts
BU
JHU
WUSTL
Duke
Dartmouth
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Case Western
UPenn
UPitt
Brown
Vanderbilt
UVA

May I know where did you get into? What was your LizzyM? What activities have you done? Have you graduated from US undergrad university?

Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
May I know where did you get into? What was your LizzyM? What activities have you done? Have you graduated from US undergrad university?

Thanks!

Yeah graduated from Hopkins, LizzyM 80, did all kinds of activities (2 yr research, clinical volunteering, non clinical, passion, etc). Basically did all the check boxes plus a few passion activities. Accepted to UVA, BU, Vanderbilt, WUSTL, waiting from hopkins and Yale.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah graduated from Hopkins, LizzyM 80, did all kinds of activities (2 yr research, clinical volunteering, non clinical, passion, etc). Basically did all the check boxes plus a few passion activities. Accepted to UVA, BU, Vanderbilt, WUSTL, waiting from hopkins and Yale.

What kind of leadership experience do you have? Do you think it is important to have several leadership positions?

What kind of leadership experience do you have? Do you think it is important to have several leadership positions?

I had several officer positions in my organizations and while it probably wasn't necessary, I won't deny that it helped me and gave me more to talk about during interviews.

Congrats on those with acceptances! How's the finaid/deposits in escrow situation going? The whole not having an American cosigner is screwing me over..
Can you expand more on the American cosigner requirement? This is the first time I have heard of this. I know schools require internationals to make full payment of the first year/provide bank account with sufficient funds for tuitions, but nothing about American cosigner.

Can you expand more on the American cosigner requirement? This is the first time I have heard of this. I know schools require internationals to make full payment of the first year/provide bank account with sufficient funds for tuitions, but nothing about American cosigner.
It's not the schools that require it, it's the commercial banks themselves that require you to have an American cosigner. If I could get institutional loans, those would be great and usually don't require a US cosigner.

I had several officer positions in my organizations and while it probably wasn't necessary, I won't deny that it helped me and gave me more to talk about during interviews.

Thanks for your reply. Did you take a gap year? Your stat is really high. Having so much ECs and maintaining GPA seems to be very tough.

Yeah it's a pain. I don't need an American cosigner but one school wants me to have all 4 years in escrow while the others want only 1 year.

Thanks for your reply. Did you take a gap year? Your stat is really high. Having so much ECs and maintaining GPA seems to be very tough.

Nah, I'm a senior right now because I just didn't have anything I was interested in doing for gap year (except staying at home and watching TV lol). Yes it's definitely tough but in the end if you want to be accepted to a US med as an international, then your'e gonna have to work harder than your peers and that's just the facts. That being said, I definitely took the time to enjoy college and never lived in the library. If your'e spending that much time studying (except for MCAT) then something is off about how you study.

Congrats to all internationals accepted! I have 3 acceptances and 2 waitlists. I'm glad the schools I got in don't require the 4 year escrow account

My School List was:
Stanford
USC
UCLA
UCSF
UC Davis
Yale
Georgetown
Northwestern
UChicago
Harvard
Tufts
BU
JHU
WUSTL
Duke
Dartmouth
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Case Western
UPenn
UPitt
Brown
Vanderbilt
UVA

Thanks for this! Are there any schools that you wished you had/had not applied to?

Congrats to all internationals accepted! I have 3 acceptances and 2 waitlists. I'm glad the schools I got in don't require the 4 year escrow account

Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing the list of schools that you applied to? :)

Hey Everyone,

Wishing everyone the best of luck during this cycle!

This has probably been asked alot but, as international students what kind of financial aid are we eligible for?

I know this may be school-dependant. What is FAFSA? I keep hearing about it but are non-US citizens/non-residents eligible for this? Can we get similar merit scholarships as US citizens/residents.

You can PM me as well if it is easier!

Thanks in advance.

Hey Everyone,

Wishing everyone the best of luck during this cycle!

This has probably been asked alot but, as international students what kind of financial aid are we eligible for?

I know this may be school-dependant. What is FAFSA? I keep hearing about it but are non-US citizens/non-residents eligible for this? Can we get similar merit scholarships as US citizens/residents.

You can PM me as well if it is easier!

Thanks in advance.
Only merit and institutional funding and only in very few schools.

Thanks for this! Are there any schools that you wished you had/had not applied to?
Yeah probably not all the UCs because the chances for an international person are basically 0. And Brown coz they really only accept their undergrads. That would've cut 4-5 schools off my list which I could've added more schools to.

Yeah probably not all the UCs because the chances for an international person are basically 0. And Brown coz they really only accept their undergrads. That would've cut 4-5 schools off my list which I could've added more schools to.

This might be a weird question. But in your opinion, what experience or strength makes you stand out? Except your high GPA and Mcat. Do we have to have a 3.9 GPA to get in? Is 3'8 high enough?

This might be a weird question. But in your opinion, what experience or strength makes you stand out? Except your high GPA and Mcat. Do we have to have a 3.9 GPA to get in? Is 3'8 high enough?

I'm not on the adcoms so I have no idea but I'm sure a 3.8 is high enough. It really depends on the school you're applying to. I have international friends with a 3.7 that have gotten interviewed but ofc it's not gonna be at Harvard. What I feel makes me stand out is that I can properly sell how being international makes me a good fit for med school.

CPT requires that it has to be related to your major otherwise cannot be authorized.
When I tried to work as a sterilization intern in hospital, the international director initially turned it down because he didn't see how working in hospital has anything to do with chemical engineering(pretty much a common ignorance). I had to ask the Chem E head department to convince the director.

For those of you who got in, what leadership positions have you had? Is it an important factor? I think it's really hard for an international student to be a leader of some sort.

I'm not sure why this is bad for us at this stage since we are all still aiming for F1 for the time being?
You will need a different form of visa support for residency. One of which is being curtailed. This could reasonably affect perceived risk regarding Match outcomes.

You will need a different form of visa support for residency. One of which is being curtailed. This could reasonably affect perceived risk regarding Match outcomes.

Yes, this is what I meant. I am super worried now.. :(

Is there a different visa status that we can apply for?

Oh I agree with you in the long term, but for premeds, the match is a few years away and things can change quickly. Do you think uncertainty about the match will trickle down to med school deans as well?

Yes, this is what I meant. I am super worried now.. :(

Is there a different visa status that we can apply for?
There technically is the J1 if you want to go to your home country for 2 years. (This cannot be circumvented even if you end up marrying a US citizen). I am going for H1B or broke LOL.

There technically is the J1 if you want to go to your home country for 2 years. (This cannot be circumvented even if you end up marrying a US citizen). I am going for H1B or broke LOL.
But they're suspending all the H1B petitions. I hope this is just temporary. I haven't started med school yet but I hope it won't last until then lol.

Nah this is not that big of a concern. H1b program hasn't changed, just that premium processing (which guaranteed processing within 15 days) is suspended. You get 1 year OPT after F-1, during which you can get your H1B application together.

But they're suspending all the H1B petitions. I hope this is just temporary. I haven't started med school yet but I hope it won't last until then lol.
No the article said they're suspending premium processing? That means it will take longer this year and so you need to file a lot more in advance. Damn I almost **** myself tho...