This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so according to my AACPMAS application my Science GPA is 3.86 and overall is 3.73
my mcat is 501 :(

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm scared of interviews, i tend to screw it up badly... i'm too blunt
Make it a conversation. All of my interviews started with the basic couple of questions and then something I brought up the interviewer would have in common and we would talk about it for the rest of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello guys I just summited my Application today and I will be receiving my MCat score tomorrow I was reading around is summiting my app now considered late application?

hey, guys, I received my MCAT today did not score to great 490 Sgpa 3.0 Cgpa 3.2 what are my chances I am very nervous and freaking out

hey, guys, I received my MCAT today did not score to great 490 Sgpa 3.0 Cgpa 3.2 what are my chances I am very nervous and freaking out

Won't hurt to just apply. It is still earlier in the application cycle so you may have some success at the bigger schools. In my opinion the worst case scenario is you'll get offered conditional acceptance in which you'd have to retake the MCAT for a 495+ before matriculation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Won't hurt to just apply. It is still earlier in the application cycle so you may have some success at the bigger schools. In my opinion the worst case scenario is you'll get offered conditional acceptance in which you'd have to retake the MCAT for a 495+ before matriculation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh man that sucks I never heard of that before any other suggestions .....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, Friends, I am here to tell you guys that I did not think a test could ever make me feel so hopeless SGPA 3.0 CGPa 3.2 MCAT 490 I am very anxious and would love to get some feedback from people that are or were in my situation should I prepare to reapply next cycle should i retake the MCAT? what should I DO?

Hello, Friends, I am here to tell you guys that I did not think a test could ever make me feel so hopeless SGPA 3.0 CGPa 3.2 MCAT 490 I am very anxious and would love to get some feedback from people that are or were in my situation should I prepare to reapply next cycle should i retake the MCAT? what should I DO?
Oh your scores are totally fine! :) you can definitely get accepted this year! That's just looking at your numbers and not your resume.

Apply the the bigger schools definitely there have been worse stats accepted many times. 490 seems to be the absolute minimum along as you're early and not picky I think you'll get a few interviews and an acceptance somewhere

You're totally fine. You WILL get accepted. I have no doubt!

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend just applied to all 9 POD schools her stats are:
undergrad
2.94 sgpa
3.25 cGpa
grad:
sGPA 4.0 (Biomed Sciences)
MCAT: 485(low)
Shadow 2 DPMs, lab tech experience, TA experience in two classes, community service, Translator in the hospital (she can speak 3 languages), volunteer experience in a hospital. Did she applied to late? What are her chances? She is very good at interviewing

undergrad
2.94 sgpa
3.25 cGpa
grad:
Shadow 2 DPMs, lab tech experience, TA experience in two classes, community service, Translator in the hospital (she can speak 3 languages), volunteer experience in a hospital. Did she applied to late? What are her chances? She is very good at interviewing
Of course, some of us are just prospective students (like me), but I have been lurking around for a while and did do a good amount of research on this before I applied.

With that said, IMHO, the cGPA is more or less fine. The sGPA is a bit on the lower side, and although I'm not sure how grad sGPA's are seen (whether as an appropriate replacement in their minds etc, I've no idea), it does prove to schools that she sure can handle upper level sciences. Her extracurriculars seem pretty good as well.

My concern here is the MCAT score, which plays a large part in whether or not an interview invite would be extended. It is important that she not only demonsrates competency in the sciences and critical thinking from her undergraduate and graduate grades, but from a standardized test that serves to level the playing field. Because of that, I'd highly recommend your friend to spend some quality time studying for the MCAT now in order to be adequately prepared for a possible retake in January. The good thing is that the schools accept applications until June 30th for the most part, and do sometimes offer conditional interviews if you are willing to retake the MCAT for a better score. So I believe that if she can land a solid 495+ she can be much more confident in receiving an interview invite. For now, I'd tell her to keep practicing for the MCAT while hoping for the best to hear only positive things from schools. Best of luck to your friend!

Last edited:
undergrad
2.94 sgpa
3.25 cGpa
grad:
She should retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
undergrad
2.94 sgpa
3.25 cGpa
grad:
What Podstar said.

Retake MCAT and rake in scholarships.

There is no excuse for the 485 with that high of a graduate biomed sGPA.

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to apply this cycle to all 9 schools with Arizona as my #1. What are my chances in getting into Arizona or any other school?
My stats are:
cCGPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.33
Non science: 3.83
Graduate GPA: 4.0 (9 hours so far)
MCA: 491 & 497

Thank you!
Arizona fills pretty fast since its only 30 in the class so definitely apply asap. You should be okay

Reactions: 1 users
I was previously pre med and wanted to do a masters in biomedical science for my gap year ( didn't want to be out of school) and when I retook the mcat and got my score back I knew my chances were slim so, I started exploring options and began shadowing a podiatrist. I've really enjoyed it so far and see myself in this career.

Arizona fills pretty fast since its only 30 in the class so definitely apply asap. You should be okay

He'll be fine even if they fill fast.

AZpod loves picking high stat applicants. They'll continue cherry picking until they have the highest ones.

Serious question here,

does going to a school like AZPOD have any MORE benefits during residency placements and connections etc. since they're so picky with who they accept as opposed to any of the other 8 schools.
If there is no benefit, than what's the point of being so picky. Does that make sense? lol
Like the benefits of going to an Ivy league is that wherever you apply for a job, you're considered "higher status" than the other applicants (especially in law and investment banking). Does the same ring true for AZPOD grads?

AZPOD is only picky because they only have 30 seats or something like that. So it allows them to accept fewer lower tier GPA's MCATs. From what I know there is no benefit. Just like MD/DO your school is not a big factor.... how well you do on your STEP tests with determine your specialty/salary.

Last edited:
Serious question here,

does going to a school like AZPOD have any MORE benefits during residency placements and connections etc. since they're so picky with who they accept as opposed to any of the other 8 schools.
If there is no benefit, than what's the point of being so picky. Does that make sense? lol
Like the benefits of going to an Ivy league is that wherever you apply for a job, you're considered "higher status" than the other applicants (especially in law and investment banking). Does the same ring true for AZPOD grads?
Its all personal. I wanted a school thay was integrated with DOs. At Midwestern, and a few other schools, you take all your classes first 2 years with DOs. I wanted to have thay foundation and education. And its not just the small class size. They also have high board pass rates and residency placement. Those were what I looked for when I applied.

Serious question here,

Both med234 and Smurfey answered your question.

It is down to preference, student performance, and how much the school is willing to work to make sure their students end up in the residencies they want.

However you need to remember that higher stat applicants = the program as a whole is stronger. A student coming in with a 3.8 + 500 MCAT is more likely to pass boards 1st time, more likely to do well academically, and thus more likely to open up residency opportunities than a weak applicant. Because their class has so many high scoring students, the program would have higher percentages of placement/1st time pass rates.

I have seen extremely successful DPMs from Kent, CSPM, Barry, Scholl etc. Some of whom even did fellowships after residency.

While certain programs may have better connections in terms of research and networks based in certain geographical locations, it is also very largely dependent on how well the students do to get what they want.

Sorry if that came off as confusing. I do not believe AZpod name branding matters as much as the student's character and work ethic/grades/board pass during residency placement.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Both med234 and Smurfey answered your question.

It is down to preference, student performance, and how much the school is willing to work to make sure their students end up in the residencies they want.

However you need to remember that higher stat applicants = the program as a whole is stronger. A student coming in with a 3.8 + 500 MCAT is more likely to pass boards 1st time, more likely to do well academically, and thus more likely to open up residency opportunities than a weak applicant. Because their class has so many high scoring students, the program would have higher percentages of placement/1st time pass rates.

I have seen extremely successful DPMs from Kent, CSPM, Barry, Scholl etc. Some of whom even did fellowships after residency.

While certain programs may have better connections in terms of research and networks based in certain geographical locations, it is also very largely dependent on how well the students do to get what they want.

Sorry if that came off as confusing. I do not believe AZpod name branding matters as much as the student's character and work ethic/grades/board pass during residency placement.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
As an AZPod alum, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I agree that "name brand" doesn't really matter per se, but the school is pretty consistent at picking mostly strong students and therefore putting out mostly strong graduates. In my experience, that reputation will give residency programs an idea of what to expect and, honestly, my residency program did look at similar GPAs from different schools in a different light, so a 3.5 from AZPod may be looked at differently than a 3.5 from some other schools. I don't think that any of this should be enough to make a huge impact on choosing a school. I always tell people to go where they feel the most comfortable where they could see themselves for 3-4 years. That's more important than reputation as far as I'm concerned.

Hi, I seek your advice for I need some guidance. The story begins here; I began College as a Bio major about 9-10 years ago. Like some, I wasnt ready and had no real idea of what I wanted to do with my life. This was reflected in my grades, they were utter **** for the first three years. During these years I unfortunately took some of the pre-req classes like Bio I/II, Chem I/II and Phys I,II (hell I almost got kicked out b/c of poor grades). In my fourth year things changed, I grew up and began taking education & history classes. When I graduated, I raised my GPA from a 1.5 to a 3.0 (the last 60 credits is about a 3.6/3.7). I then taught at a high school for a few years and thats where I am today.

I am a different person now than 8 years ago with different goals and a mindset. I'm in the processes of retaking all of the science classes and the pre-reqs that I failed long ago. Id like to know my chances of getting into podiatry school. Are schools going to hold my history over my head? What should I do?

Ps; this is my first semester retaking classes at a CC but Ill be transferring to a 4 year univ in Spring. Im not in a formal program as I'm just retaking the classes that I didnt do well in (which is most of the sciences), is that ok or should I do something formal?

thanks....

Hi, I seek your advice for I need some guidance. The story begins here; I began College as a Bio major about 9-10 years ago. Like some, I wasnt ready and had no real idea of what I wanted to do with my life. This was reflected in my grades, they were utter **** for the first three years. During these years I unfortunately took some of the pre-req classes like Bio I/II, Chem I/II and Phys I,II (hell I almost got kicked out b/c of poor grades). In my fourth year things changed, I grew up and began taking education & history classes. When I graduated, I raised my GPA from a 1.5 to a 3.0 (the last 60 credits is about a 3.6/3.7). I then taught at a high school for a few years and thats where I am today.

I am a different person now than 8 years ago with different goals and a mindset. I'm in the processes of retaking all of the science classes and the pre-reqs that I failed long ago. Id like to know my chances of getting into podiatry school. Are schools going to hold my history over my head? What should I do?

Ps; this is my first semester retaking classes at a CC but Ill be transferring to a 4 year univ in Spring. Im not in a formal program as I'm just retaking the classes that I didnt do well in (which is most of the sciences), is that ok or should I do something formal?

thanks....
Retaking them is sufficient. Make sure you make almost all A’s to show you have matured and can handle difficult science courses.

thanks....

You're fine.

If anything your history will help you. Most schools reward reinvention. You'd also have a very compelling story to tell versus the traditional student coming straight from undergrad.

Do well and you'll receive interview invites. Make sure podiatry is what you want to do. Shadow.

I applied to all school except for New York. ii to Western, Temple, and Kent State. The other schools wanted my MCAT score before moving forward. I received my score today and it was horrible. I honestly don't know what to do now. I don't want to send my score and the system automatically rejects me or they take back my ii, because of how low my score is. What should I do?

cGPA=3.56
sGPA=3.52
MCAT=483
Lots of EC and volunteering, shadowed 4 podiatrists, mother is a podiatrist, minority (Samoan)

Well you have a really good gpa however If i were you i would reschedule mcat ASAP so you can update your score. Go to your interviews they may give u conditional acceptances

Got my MCAT score today so I can finally post here! Applying to Kent, AZpod, Temple, DMU, and Scholl (#1)

cgpa: 3.2
sgpa: 3.04
MCAT: 501
Lots of medically related ECs and shadowing (2 pods)

Edit: I also don't have a completed bachelors and am 20 at the time of application. Will this affect my chances? I have a ii from Scholl so far.

You should see scholarships with that mcat. GPA is fine

I applied to all school except for New York. ii to Western, Temple, and Kent State. The other schools wanted my MCAT score before moving forward. I received my score today and it was horrible. I honestly don't know what to do now. I don't want to send my score and the system automatically rejects me or they take back my ii, because of how low my score is. What should I do?

cGPA=3.56
sGPA=3.52
MCAT=483
Lots of EC and volunteering, shadowed 4 podiatrists, mother is a podiatrist, minority (Samoan)
Definitely retake.

cGPA=3.56
sGPA=3.52
MCAT=483
Definitely retake the MCAT.

Got my MCAT score today so I can finally post here! Applying to Kent, AZpod, Temple, DMU, and Scholl (#1)

cgpa: 3.2
sgpa: 3.04
MCAT: 501
Lots of medically related ECs and shadowing (2 pods)

Edit: I also don't have a completed bachelors and am 20 at the time of application. Will this affect my chances? I have a ii from Scholl so far.
Looks good for all schools, most with some scholarship money.

cGPA=3.56
sGPA=3.52
MCAT=483
What the others said.
Prune yourself and retake.

Don't jump ship or send your app in because you are impatient.
A 500 MCAT with those GPAs would net you scholarships.

Mcat score came in today.

Got a 511 and 3.5 overall and science GPA.

I'm hoping to see scholarships from some schools. But my top schools are known for NOT giving any or very little.
This should be interesting. haha
Would you guys decline going to a school that was willing to give a large scholarship because you prefer a different one? Or would that be a huge mistake on my part?

Here's my stats.

cgpa: 3.3
sgpa: 3.1
MCAT: 492

Have received some interview invites, how am I looking here?

Never took PSYC, PHYS 2, or BIOCHEM prior to taking it and predictably that's where I was weak on the test. (transcript obviously corraborates this) Think this is worth mentioning in interviews if they ask?

Yeah, you would have done better if you took those 3 classes. You did take physics 2 later on, right? You should still be fine, somewhere, as long as you interview well.

Last edited:

I'm hoping to see scholarships from some schools. But my top schools are known for NOT giving any or very little.
Would you guys decline going to a school that was willing to give a large scholarship because you prefer a different one? Or would that be a huge mistake on my part?

Great score, Congrats.

Always go to the school you want to attend, and where you see yourself being happy. That said, getting a scholarship that will lower the overall debt is also important. So, hopefully, the program you want to attend will also give you some $$.

Did you apply to MD/DO schools as well? You might have a shot at your state MD schools and most of the DO schools around the country.

Got my first II last night. Hopefully seeing more soon!

I think Midwestern and Western are the only ones that don't. I think its all priorities. Some people just have to go to a specific school. Others have to be in a specific climate. Others just want the cheapest education. Just find out your priorities and then attend your interviews with eyes wide open. You learn a lot about the schools on those days. I got into Midwestern and DMU, but DMU gave a scholarship. However, I will attend Midwestern. I am from here, I know a few kids in the program and got along with some of the ones I met on interview day really well. Overall, I just got the vibe I would be a lot happier staying. So when you attend your interviews, definitely use it as a day to reflect and think if you would be happy living there for 4 years.

Id retake man. For an MCAT like that your GPAs have to be a lot higher. However, yours are both low which will make admissions wonder if you could handle the curriculum

Just got my MCAT score back this morning and I did terrible.

MCAT 487
Overall GPA 3.00
Science GPA 2.71
Got all my LOR ready and have plenty of EC.

is it even worth it to apply now??

What is the breakdown of this score? It's important to understand if this is the sciences or the critical reading/psychology portions. If its the sciences there may be a basic knowledge deficit that is fairly easy to fix if you set up a plan for a retake. I think below 490 it really is school dependent whether they would give you a shot.

I would say go ahead and send it in but definitely also plan for a retake and indicate on apps that you intend to do so.

Reactions: 2 users