This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

This is my first time posting to any forum of this capacity. Just wanted to see what my chances were...

sGPA - 3.59
cGPA - 3.66
Taking MCAT Sep. 2nd, currently studying every day
Shadowing a podiatrist starting this week
Over 2000 hours of research experience, including 1 publication and presentations at over 8 conferences
2 very strong LORs; will have my podiatrist LOR after shadowing
Mentored General and Organic Chemistry labs for over 2 years during undergrad

Thanks to all!!
You're fine.

If they don't offer scholarships, negotiate or walk.

If you still don't get an acceptance after interviewing with those stats, it will be a character flaw, not your resume.

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine.

If they don't offer scholarships, negotiate or walk.

If you still don't get an acceptance after interviewing with those stats, it will be a character flaw, not your resume.
Thank you very much for the feedback! Definitely nice to hear, I appreciate it

Hi all,

This is my first time posting to any forum of this capacity. Just wanted to see what my chances were...

sGPA - 3.59
cGPA - 3.66
Taking MCAT Sep. 2nd, currently studying every day
Shadowing a podiatrist starting this week
Over 2000 hours of research experience, including 1 publication and presentations at over 8 conferences
2 very strong LORs; will have my podiatrist LOR after shadowing
Mentored General and Organic Chemistry labs for over 2 years during undergrad

Thanks to all!!

Honestly with those stats you could get at least half tuition scholarship. Kill the MCAT!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
About to enter my senior year

GPA: 3.71
Science GPA:3.48
MCAT: 486 (I plan to retake in January)
EC: 30 hours shadowing
300+ Hours Community Sercice-mentally disabled children (don't know if this counts?)

Do I have a decent shot or at least good enough to interview? I plan to retake MCAT since it's too low to get in, right?

300+ Hours Community Sercice-mentally disabled children (don't know if this counts?)

Do I have a decent shot or at least good enough to interview? I plan to retake MCAT since it's too low to get in, right?

Your GPA's are great which will definitely help you out! If you look at the link below, you'll see that most schools accepted at least one candidate with a similar MCAT to yours and Barry accepted some with lower MCAT's than yours. It's not for sure, but you should definitely give it a go!

http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf

That 486 will limit you from some of the schools and many of scholarship opportunities, so it's best to retake it.
January is still early for a Pod school so you have plenty of time.

Reactions: 1 user
sGPA: 3.0
cGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 495
EC's: 300+ of clinical volunteering, non-clinal volunteering, worked in pain clinic as scribe this entire past year, tutored Italian, bio club member, part of the judicial board, the philanthropy committee, and captain of soccer team for my social fraternity my time as undergrad at MSU

Still need to shadow and get a letter for pod
Currently in a pre-med post-bacc program

Chances?

EC's: 300+ of clinical volunteering, non-clinal volunteering, worked in pain clinic as scribe this entire past year, tutored Italian, bio club member, part of the judicial board, the philanthropy committee, and captain of soccer team for my social fraternity my time as undergrad at MSU

Chances?

Chances are good.

Do well in the Premed program and get that letter from a Pod. Apply and start preparing for interviews!

Chances?

Shadow,shadow and shadow! You are half way there!

Hey guys,

I've been looking into podiatry schools and have shadowed one podiatrist for a total of 16 hours.
I'm a little worried about my MCAT score (491). Is this good enough to get into some podiatry schools? My GPA is a 3.69 and I have 40+ hours of volunteer service.

Thanks!

I concur. Obviously a higher MCAT would be preferred, but your GPAs should compensate if everything else in order to land a few interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am highly considering retaking the MCAT because I know I can do much better; would you guys recommend the same?

I am highly considering retaking the MCAT because I know I can do much better; would you guys recommend the same?

Retaking for an acceptance? Not really. Retaking for more scholarship money? I would say heck yeah! You need to hit that 500 for serious scholarship money.

I have a 3.38 cgpa and 3.21 sgpa, 505 mcat but unfortunately have 10 w's( 7 of which were due to 2 deaths in my family). I have 60 shadowing hours and 300 volunteer hours. What are my chances? Do you thing the withdrawals are a severe obstacle even though 7 are excused?

I have a 3.38 cgpa and 3.21 sgpa, 505 mcat but unfortunately have 10 w's( 7 of which were due to 2 deaths in my family). I have 60 shadowing hours and 300 volunteer hours. What are my chances? Do you thing the withdrawals are a severe obstacle even though 7 are excused?
You will do fine. Just be prepared to explain.

Shadow,shadow and shadow! You are half way there!

Yes plan to shadow for a pod while in my current post-bacc program + letter in Virginia. Also plan to shadow another pod + letter when I go back home to Detroit in December. I submit my app as well around that time.

Can I add a LoR's to my app after my application has been submitted or do I need to wait to have them ready?
What is a solid amount of hours to have shadowed to get a grasp for field / look good to admissions?

Yes plan to shadow for a pod while in my current post-bacc program + letter in Virginia. Also plan to shadow another pod + letter when I go back home to Detroit in December. I submit my app as well around that time.

Can I add a LoR's to my app after my application has been submitted or do I need to wait to have them ready?
What is a solid amount of hours to have shadowed to get a grasp for field / look good to admissions?
LOR are sent through interfolio, so your app can be submitted and you can receive interviews before you have them in. Shadowing hours are not as important as the experiences you have and your ability to talk about them during the interview.

Hi guys!

I'm finishing up my undergraduate in Canada and I'm really interested in applying to US Podiatry Schools. I was wondering whether my application is competitive as is (for a Canadian) or if I should spend time to boost it up (in which areas)? In addition, which US schools are favourable toward Canadian students?

sGPA: 3.80
cGPA: 3.87

MCAT: 508

Shadowing EMT, Internal Medicine, Neuro Doctors (60 hours)
Volunteering abroad in clinics (40 hours)
Volunteering with blind patients (40 hours)
Voluntary Research Assistant (1 year)
Volunteering in Rehab Centre (40 hours)
Worked in Children's Summer Camp (1 summer)

Thanks a lot for the help!

Your stats look fine. You probably don't need to boost anything. Each class at Temple usually ends up having a couple of Canadians.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hi guys!

I'm finishing up my undergraduate in Canada and I'm really interested in applying to US Podiatry Schools. I was wondering whether my application is competitive as is (for a Canadian) or if I should spend time to boost it up (in which areas)? In addition, which US schools are favourable toward Canadian students?

Stats are great! Kent has a few Canadians as well.

Hi guys!

Hey, I'm a Canadian student at TUSPM right now. Your GPAs and Mcat are better than mine, you have a very good chance of getting in, with great scholarships as well! All the schools are favourable toward Canadians other than DMU (I don't think they accept international students). PM me if you have any other questions (there are not many Canadians on this forum!)

I need to know if I am a good candidate:

undergrad sGPA 2.93
undergrad cGPA 3.24

graduate GPA 3.94

MCAT 499

I shadowed two DPMs, did volunteering work at a hospital as a translator, community service, TA experience in pharma, and master's thesis in Upenn

I need to know if I am a good candidate:

undergrad sGPA 2.93
undergrad cGPA 3.24

graduate GPA 3.94

MCAT 499

I shadowed two DPMs, did volunteering work at a hospital as a translator, community service, TA experience in pharma, and master's thesis in Upenn
You're fine. Just apply.

Post this in WAMC thread next time.

This thread was 2 years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
GPA's: cGPA: 3.3/ sGPA 2.9
Pod Experience: Little pod experience (<10 hours shadowing)(Still need Pod letter)
Volunteer Hours: 25 Hours volunteering with state hospital
Roughly 350 hours volunteering with Special Olympics

My top two choices are AZPOD and DMU. Do you think I have a shot for those two schools? Would scholarships be completely out of the question for other schools with my low sGPA?

GPA's: cGPA: 3.3/ sGPA 2.9
Pod Experience: Little pod experience (<10 hours shadowing)(Still need Pod letter)
Volunteer Hours: 25 Hours volunteering with state hospital
Roughly 350 hours volunteering with Special Olympics

My top two choices are AZPOD and DMU. Do you think I have a shot for those two schools? Would scholarships be completely out of the question for other schools with my low sGPA?

Congrats on the MCAT.

Your 508 should balance the low science GPA, so you should be fine for those two schools.

I would get more Pod hours though, not just for the letter, but for more exposure in what the field is about.

Scholarships are dependent on the program but you might receive some $$. Apply early and GL.

Congrats on the MCAT.

Your 508 should balance the low science GPA, so you should be fine for those two schools.

I would get more Pod hours though, not just for the letter, but for more exposure in what the field is about.

Scholarships are dependent on the program but you might receive some $$. Apply early and GL.
Thanks for the feedback! You're definitely right. I need more pod shadowing. I'm planning to start shadowing more often now that I have taken the MCAT and graduated. Also, I'm hoping to finish up my application this week!

Hi everyone I am applying for cycle 2019 and I was wondering if I'm a good candidate. Retook a class that I failed as an non-degree student and got an A to prove that I can pass it.
undergrad science GPA 2.93
Cumulative undergrad GPA 3.24
Graduate science GPA 3.94 (Master's of Science)
MCAT 492
DPM shadowing experience, community service volunteer, Lab technician, translator volunteer at Hospital, Master's thesis at UPenn and TA position for pharmacy school.
You will get more responses posting this in the "what are my chances?" thread, but you have a chance for acceptance.

Hey everyone,

My cGPA is 3.25. My MCAT is 500. I have a paid research internship. Abroad clinical experience. Community service hours. I was a TA and a tutor for a semester. I plan on shadowing a podiatrist soon and getting a LOR.

I really want to get into Temple but I also like NYC. I'm going to apply everywhere and I'm wondering what my chances are.

Thanks!

Don't completely screw up the interview and you'll be fine

Hello, I need to know my chances to get into DPM. I have a undergrad GPA of sGPA 2.93 & cGPA 3.23. Decided to go to grad school and get my master's in microbiology ending with a grad GPA of 3.93. Shadowed a surgeon DPM for 3 months, TA experience, research experience, volunteer at a hospital and shelter. My MCAT scores are in the low 490s (I know that's not that great).

That sub 3.0 in undergrad is going to raise some eyebrows, but that grad GPA combined with a low 490s MCAT should yield acceptances to most schools. DMU and AZPOD might be a bit tougher, but if you get an interview, you could prolly get in.

Hello, I need to know my chances to get into DPM. I have a undergrad GPA of sGPA 2.93 & cGPA 3.23. Decided to go to grad school and get my master's in microbiology ending with a grad GPA of 3.93. Shadowed a surgeon DPM for 3 months, TA experience, research experience, volunteer at a hospital and shelter. My MCAT scores are in the low 490s (I know that's not that great).

Hello, I need to know my chances to get into DPM. I have a undergrad GPA of sGPA 2.93 & cGPA 3.23. Decided to go to grad school and get my master's in microbiology ending with a grad GPA of 3.95. Shadowed a surgeon DPM for 3 months, TA experience, cross country runner in undergrad, Spanish tutor, worked as an intern in a genetic core, lab tech position at a pharma core, thesis at Upenn, translator volunteer at a hospital and shelter. My MCAT scores are in the low 490s (I know that's not that great).

Last edited:
Hello, I need to know my chances to get into DPM. I have a undergrad GPA of sGPA 2.93 & cGPA 3.23. Decided to go to grad school and get my master's in microbiology ending with a grad GPA of 3.95. Shadowed a surgeon DPM for 3 months, TA experience, cross country runner in undergrad, Spanish tutor, worked as an intern in a genetic core, lab tech position at a pharma core, thesis at Upenn, translator volunteer at a hospital and shelter. My MCAT scores are in the low 490s (I know that's not that great).
Youve taken the MCAT multiple times and score low 490s each time or these are just practice tests?

There's a "what are my chances" thread for this specific type of question.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My cGPA and science GPA is 3.25.My MCAT is 500. I have a paid research internship. Abroad clinical experience. Community service hours. I was a TA and a tutor for a semester. I plan on shadowing a podiatrist soon and getting a LOR.

I really want to get into Temple but I also like NYC. I'm going to apply everywhere and I'm wondering what my chances are.

My cGPA and science GPA is 3.25.My MCAT is 500. I have a paid research internship. Abroad clinical experience. Community service hours. I was a TA and a tutor for a semester. I plan on shadowing a podiatrist soon and getting a LOR.

High

You will most likely get accepted everywhere as long as you interview well.

I have a 3.77 and 508(29) and I am a highschool dropout got my GED failed out of my first semester 26hrs my father passed that year from cancer. Then went back to school made nothing but A's and B's. I have around two years of cancer biology research.
non-traditional
2000+hrs volunteering, shelter, food banks
1 year emt was a ER tech
shadowed a pod,DO, and MD w/letters
Texas resident
I am very interested in pod!
Just want some opinions of what schools I should apply to?
what are my chances?

I have a 3.77 and 508(29) and I am a highschool dropout got my GED failed out of my first semester 26hrs my father passed that year from cancer. Then went back to school made nothing but A's and B's. I have around two years of cancer biology research.
non-traditional
1 year emt was a ER tech
Texas resident
what are my chances?
I'm no expert, but with those numbers and that upward trend, I don't see why you wouldn't get accepted to any pod school you want (given that there aren't any surprises you didn't include in your post). You can definitely incorporate the circumstances that have occurred in your life into your personal statement, as everyone goes through certain things in life for the better or worse. Turn the whole dropping out and failing in the beginning into something positive - how you were able to overcome so and so, get back on your two feet and chase what you really wanted in life.

With that said, are you specifically interested in podiatry? Or are you trying to see how you might fair in DDS/MD/DO/PA etc ?

Last edited:
non-traditional
1 year emt was a ER tech
Texas resident
what are my chances?

You're fine. Don't overthink it.

What Hopefully said, why not MD/DO?

I understand age may be a factor but it may take approximately the same amount of time.

As a Texas Resident you would be a shoe-in.

You're fine. Don't overthink it.

What Hopefully said, why not MD/DO?

I understand age may be a factor but it may take approximately the same amount of time.

As a Texas Resident you would be a shoe-in.
I mean, he could actually be interested in podiatry :)... which in that case, I assume scholarships would be coming his way. In the end of the day, it's really what you make of it and what will make you happiest. Doing what you love is a lot more rewarding, and liking something that much will probably lead you to perform better in it as well!

I was honestly set on pod before anything else being that my family has a endless struggle with diabetes with seeing the effects that it has on a older persons foot is really scary both of my uncles, grandfather, and grandma have feet issues from diabetes. Plus when I shadowed a pod I felt right at home but he was working at a level one trauma center with ortho in house and still got plenty of OR time which is what I really want to do/focus on lower extremity/soft tissue surgery.

Reactions: 2 users
I was honestly set on pod before anything else being that my family has a endless struggle with diabetes with seeing the effects that it has on a older persons foot is really scary both of my uncles, grandfather, and grandma have feet issues from diabetes. Plus when I shadowed a pod I felt right at home but he was working at a level one trauma center with ortho in house and still got plenty of OR time which is what I really want to do/focus on lower extremity/soft tissue surgery.
I say apply too! Good luck with everything, and if you need any help with the application process lmk... I just went thru it all