This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a 3.1 gpa and 2.95 sgpa
So I need quite a bit higher to get accepted!
I had really bad stomach problems during the first section I had to guess on 5 passages in order to get to use the bathroom
Next time I'm taking Imodium
You took the bad option in your scenario.
In my opinion, no one on this subsection gets a say in your final admission decision. So to let the stats of users here push you to void your exam...?? So what if your MCAT would have been in the 480s? Why not take a chance and still apply anyway? What if, just what if, you managed to get in somewhere? Even if you didn't get in, what are you going to do with the application fees money that you save? Another video game? Clothes? Food? I really think you should have taken that shot. The MCAT costs $310 and to go through all of that and walk away with nothing? Just a voided score, basically cancelling your exam? If it's not too late, rethink this and just take a chance. You lose nothing.

This is a bit misleading. I had a score around that range, and everyone in my group of interviewees had higher scores than me. Some had post-bac's. If you have a lower MCAT score, you need a much higher GPA, or amazing EC's, or a combination of both to be considered.

Problem here is, you're basing this on just a very little experience with a very small small group. What about the students before and after you? With the exception of like the 3 schools that screen, I think everyone else at least looks at all other aspects besides GPA & MCAT. doublefault should have taken a chance and applied. At least then he could call up a school and ask why he was rejected and how he could improve.

There's more than just gpa and mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually agree with you on the small sample size argument that you brought up. Unfortunately, though, OP already voided so that is set in stone. Posters like myself and others were really just discussing the aftermath of a decision that was already made.

My only point was that while it's true that I don't have all of the stats regarding applicants, typically people with scores in the 480s who meet with success usually pair it with either a high GPA and/or impressive EC's. Of course, as you pointed out, that shouldn't deter anyone from applying, because every application is unique. As aforementioned, though, OP had already voided so any discussion thereafter was completely hypothetical.

In my opinion, no one on this subsection gets a say in your final admission decision. So to let the stats of users here push you to void your exam...?? So what if your MCAT would have been in the 480s? Why not take a chance and still apply anyway? What if, just what if, you managed to get in somewhere? Even if you didn't get in, what are you going to do with the application fees money that you save? Another video game? Clothes? Food? I really think you should have taken that shot. The MCAT costs $310 and to go through all of that and walk away with nothing? Just a voided score, basically cancelling your exam? If it's not too late, rethink this and just take a chance. You lose nothing.

Problem here is, you're basing this on just a very little experience with a very small small group. What about the students before and after you? With the exception of like the 3 schools that screen, I think everyone else at least looks at all other aspects besides GPA & MCAT. doublefault should have taken a chance and applied. At least then he could call up a school and ask why he was rejected and how he could improve.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for your insight
I'm revving up for a retake on may 19th
I know I made a bad decision
But I can't do anything about it now
On the bright side I know how the actual test is now and it's procedures
I'm going to continue to study for it while on work on my app

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your insight
Good luck! Im sure that you'll do great. I think you'll be fine with timing as well. I applied in February and got in. I did have higher stats but you'll be applying a whole 8 months earlier so you should be fine. Your gonna wipe the floor with the MCAT!

Thanks for your insight

Beat it to a pulp. You can do it.

So I've shadowed a few DPM and really loved the field so I've decided to apply to Podiatry Schools this up coming cycle. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I am in June! Obviously I know I need to aim for a good MCAT score (500+) but scores aside what are my chances looking like right now with all prerequisites finished?

3.00 overall gpa
2.77 science gpa
3 LOR
Volunteer/shadow hours 100+ With(Dental/DO/DPM)
Decent EC

Last edited:
So I've shadowed a few DPM and really loved the field so I've decided to apply to Podiatry Schools this up coming cycle. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I am in June! Obviously I know I need to aim for a good MCAT score (500+) but scores aside what are my chances looking like right now with all prerequisites finished?

3.01 overall gpa
2.71 science gpa
3 LOR
Volunteer/shadow hours 100+ With(Dental/DO/DPM)
Decent EC
Almost impossible to say without an MCaT score as that is a big part of the app

Hey guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Applying this cycle, and should have my application fully in within the next few days. Just wanted to hear if you guys think I sound like a decent candidate or not.
cGPA- 3.1, sGPA- 2.9, insane upward trend. Over 1000 hours of volunteering, over 100 hours of shadowing BUT have not shadowed a podiatrist yet. I am currently trying to find a few near me and see if they will let me come shadow.
I am currently pursuing a Master's in Biomedicine, which I will finish in August. My first semester GPA was 3.o. My MCAT was 485, then 492 on the most recent one I took.
Applying to everywhere except AZ, just seems like the stats are out of my reach.
Thanks!
Not sure where else to post this, but I was invited for interviews at Samuell Merritt, NYCPM, Barry, and Kent. I cancelled my Samuell Merritt, took NY and Barry. I was accepted to Barry, and I'm currently waiting to hear back from NYCPM. Thanks for all the replies and help! Good luck to everyone still applying and to those of you beginning in the fall.

Hi all!

I was wondering what are my chances of getting into any of the 9 Podiatry schools.

I graduated from a well known tier 1 university in the south with a degree in Communications, minor in Math, Physics and considered pre-med after graduation when I actually shadowed one.

My cGPA is 3.43 and my sGPA is ~3.41 and my MCAT score is 503. I have had 40 hours each shadowing 2 podiatrists (~80 hours), have volunteered for 150 hours at a local hospital, and 200 hours for non-medicine reasons. I have been a leader of 2 organizations at my undergraduate for over a year, and have done research and got 3 publications (not related to medicine directly, but Medical communications, specifically how doctors can communicate better to their patients). With that, I have also done a few internships (not related to medicine) mostly related to communications, advertising, PR and research and worked as a communications manager for a hospital near me for a year.

I have taken most of the science prerequisites over at my local community college and got A's in most of them after graduation, much like a DIY postbacc. I took a couple at a university: Biochem & Cell Bio and got A's in them.
Bio 1+ Bio 2 = A
Chem 1 + Chem 2 = A
Phys 1 + Phys 2 C & B
Ochem1 + Ochem 2 = A
Microbio, Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, Cell Bio, Biochem = A's

What are my chances to schools like BUSPM, DMU, TUSPM, NYCPM, Scholl, etc? And would I be competitive enough for DO schools?

Thank you and have a great day everyone!

You would most likely be a shoe in for podiatry school based on your Stats, ECs. As long as you don't bomb the interview you probably would receive a nice scholarship too. You are most likely competitive for the Newer DO schools. My question to you is do you want to be a Podiatrist? Did you enjoy your shadowing? How did your shadowing and/or volunteering go with other professions? Honestly, I think you're competitive for either and just need to make the best decision for you.

Reactions: 1 users
You would most likely be a shoe in for podiatry school based on your Stats, ECs. As long as you don't bomb the interview you probably would receive a nice scholarship too. You are most likely competitive for the Newer DO schools. My question to you is do you want to be a Podiatrist? Did you enjoy your shadowing? How did your shadowing and/or volunteering go with other professions? Honestly, I think you're competitive for either and just need to make the best decision for you.
I was considering both but found Podiatry more appealing mainly because it had bit easier standards to get into. I got turned off by like 10,000 applications for like 50 seats for MD/DO schools, and saw podiaitry as more in my ball park.

And what do you mean "shoe in"?

Hi all!

I was wondering what are my chances of getting into any of the 9 Podiatry schools.

I graduated from a well known tier 1 university in the south with a degree in Communications, minor in Math, Physics and considered pre-med after graduation when I actually shadowed one.

My cGPA is 3.43 and my sGPA is ~3.41 and my MCAT score is 503. I have had 40 hours each shadowing 2 podiatrists (~80 hours), have volunteered for 150 hours at a local hospital, and 200 hours for non-medicine reasons. I have been a leader of 2 organizations at my undergraduate for over a year, and have done research and got 3 publications (not related to medicine directly, but Medical communications, specifically how doctors can communicate better to their patients). With that, I have also done a few internships (not related to medicine) mostly related to communications, advertising, PR and research and worked as a communications manager for a hospital near me for a year.

I have taken most of the science prerequisites over at my local community college and got A's in most of them after graduation, much like a DIY postbacc. I took a couple at a university: Biochem & Cell Bio and got A's in them.
Bio 1+ Bio 2 = A
Chem 1 + Chem 2 = A
Phys 1 + Phys 2 C & B
Ochem1 + Ochem 2 = A
Microbio, Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, Cell Bio, Biochem = A's

What are my chances to schools like BUSPM, DMU, TUSPM, NYCPM, Scholl, etc? And would I be competitive enough for DO schools?

Thank you and have a great day everyone!
I am completely confident that you would be accepted at any of those schools! They might even give you scholarship. I say you've got nothing to worry about and you'll do great when you apply! Continue shadowing to make sure it's absolutely what you want to do.

I was considering both but found Podiatry more appealing mainly because it had bit easier standards to get into. I got turned off by like 10,000 applications for like 50 seats for MD/DO schools, and saw podiaitry as more in my ball park.

And what do you mean "shoe in"?
Typo!!! "Shoo in" What I mean is that base upon your stats GPA/MCAT/ECs that you are a very solid applicant and as long as you don't blow the interview you would have no problem being accepted to podiatry school and most likely with a scholarship!

Members don't see this ad :)
Typo!!! "Shoo in" What I mean is that base upon your stats GPA/MCAT/ECs that you are a very solid applicant and as long as you don't blow the interview you would have no problem being accepted to podiatry school and most likely with a scholarship!
Would it be detrimental to my application that I've taken most of my prereq sciences at a local community college?

I forgot to say this, but I have gotten a D+ in Biology, and an C- in Chem 1, and i nmy calc classes, I've gotten grades of B's and C+'s. I retaken all my science courses (except for Physics 1 & 2) and got A's in all of them at my community college. Would med schools frown upon this?

And would it also be bad that I've had like a 3.00 GPA after graduation? But then I've managed to bring it up to speed by getting my **** together?

And by new DO schools do you mean BCOM, LMUCOM, etc?

Would it be detrimental to my application that I've taken most of my prereq sciences at a local community college?

I forgot to say this, but I have gotten a D+ in Biology, and an C- in Chem 1, and i nmy calc classes, I've gotten grades of B's and C+'s. I retaken all my science courses (except for Physics 1 & 2) and got A's in all of them at my community college. Would med schools frown upon this?
I took all of my pre-reqs at a CC & was accepted with scholarship!!!!
That shows an upwards trend. I would just be prepared to answer the questions on why you received some of those early grades and how you fixed it! Honestly, I think you will be ok as long as you interview well!!!

And would it also be bad that I've had like a 3.00 GPA after graduation? But then I've managed to bring it up to speed by getting my **** together?

And by new DO schools do you mean BCOM, LMUCOM, etc?

Yes, I believe those are the newer DO schools, however, I was never interested in anything else besides Podiatry!!! I think you will be fine! Remember, AACPMAS recalculates all of your GPAs!!

One question for you, Are those GPAs you calculated with grade replacement for DO? If so, remember that podiatry schools doesn't have grade replacement.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe those are the newer DO schools, however, I was never interested in anything else besides Podiatry!!! I think you will be fine! Remember, AACPMAS recalculates all of your GPAs!!

One question for you, Are those GPAs you calculated with grade replacement for DO? If so, remember that podiatry schools doesn't have grade replacement.
I did not use grade replacement. I used "all" of the GPA's I've gotten since freshman year of college. But how low is too low when applying to schools? If a school has like a 3.5 or 3.6 average and i have a 3.4, would that be considered too low our out of my ballpark?

But out of all curiosity, how much would the scholarships be and would I have to take out loans to pay for the housing? And what school did you go to?

I did not use grade replacement. I used "all" of the GPA's I've gotten since freshman year of college. But how low is too low when applying to schools? If a school has like a 3.5 or 3.6 average and i have a 3.4, would that be considered too low our out of my ballpark?

But out of all curiosity, how much would the scholarships be and would I have to take out loans to pay for the housing? And what school did you go to?
No, your GPAs are good for podiatry and the newer DO schools!!!

The scholarships for incoming students vary across the 9 pod schools and there are several factors that play into them such as GPAs, MCAT, Interview etc......

I am starting at KSUCPM later this summer (end of July).

At Kent they offer 4 different tiers of incoming scholarships: 10,000, 7500, 5000, & 2500!!!! Not sure what other schools offer b/c I canceled my interviews at the other schools b/c Kent was my 1st choice and I interviewed there first!!!

http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf

Last edited:

Most graduate students rely on in subsidized Stafford loans to pay for school. Interest rate fixed at 6.85% I think. You can also take into account Grad PLUS loans which cover up to full cost of attendance until you are done.

Look up the unsubsidized and grad plus loans when you get a chance. Unless your house is lined with gold bricks and you were born with a million dollars in each hand.

My Stats for all a Fall 2018 student:

1. I'm going to apply to the majority of the DPM schools. Maybe even a few DO schools, but I'm focusing on DPM.
2. cGPA: 3.63/ sGPA : 3.49
3. MCAT : 495
4. DPM experience: None. Currently looking for shadowing
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing: Endocrinologist and ENT doctors.
6. Volunteering: Team Leader at a hospital, and community/non medical volunteering.

I also have had previous jobs as tutor, teachers assistant, and medical records clerk.
As for research, i have done public health/community research. Biochemical research with malaria drugs. and cancer stem cell research with a medical school.

Please let me know what you guys think! Thank you.

You shouldn't have a problem stats wise, but since you are applying both DO and DPM with no DPM experience, why DPM? Is this your first app cycle, or did you apply MD/DO before?

You need a LOR from a DPM for admission at all 9 schools.

My Stats for all a Fall 2018 student:

1. I'm going to apply to the majority of the DPM schools. Maybe even a few DO schools, but I'm focusing on DPM.
2. cGPA: 3.63/ sGPA : 3.49
3. MCAT : 495
4. DPM experience: None. Currently looking for shadowing
5. Non-Podiatry Shadowing: Endocrinologist and ENT doctors.
6. Volunteering: Team Leader at a hospital, and community/non medical volunteering.

I also have had previous jobs as tutor, teachers assistant, and medical records clerk.
As for research, i have done public health/community research. Biochemical research with malaria drugs. and cancer stem cell research with a medical school.

Please let me know what you guys think! Thank you.

You shouldn't have a problem stats wise, but since you are applying both DO and DPM with no DPM experience, why DPM? Is this your first app cycle, or did you apply MD/DO before?

You need a LOR from a DPM for admission at all 9 schools.

I didn't know much about DPM, this is my first cycle for any school and I've been struggling to find a DPM that will allow me to shadow them. Do you think my stats are good for Barry in Miami? and what school do you consider to be the best DPM university?

Shouldn't have a problem with Barry at all. Try and go in person to podiatrist offices near you and ask if you can shadow. Once you land a shadowing opportunity rack up hours and then get your LOR. You will then be set for DPM schools provided you decide whether or not this is the career path you want to go down.

I didn't know much about DPM, this is my first cycle for any school and I've been struggling to find a DPM that will allow me to shadow them. Do you think my stats are good for Barry in Miami? and what school do you consider to be the best DPM university?

Shouldn't have a problem with Barry at all. Try and go in person to podiatrist offices near you and ask if you can shadow. Once you land a shadowing opportunity rack up hours and then get your LOR. You will then be set for DPM schools provided you decide whether or not this is the career path you want to go down.
Thank you!

What do you think my odds are for DO school with my stats?

I think you're cutting it close for DO schools. A 495 just barely makes the cut at schools like ACOM or LECOM. You may receive more in-depth advice in the DO forums though.

What do you think my odds are for DO school with my stats?

With a 495, your chance is good for a DO Postbacc program, you would need 500+ for a direct entry.

Even with my application?

I have shadowed three doctors.
Ive done public health research which was presented, biochemical research that was also presented, and breast cancer research,
I'm in the process of getting 2 publication.
I volunteered for 2 years at a hospital as a team leader, i also have non medical volunteering
I tutor, i'm a teachers assistant, and previously worked as a medical records clerk.

That's the majority of my application. Do you still think i'd been a postbox?

Ive done public health research which was presented, biochemical research that was also presented, and breast cancer research,
I volunteered for 2 years at a hospital as a team leader, i also have non medical volunteering
I tutor, i'm a teachers assistant, and previously worked as a medical records clerk.

Yeah your best bet for DO would be a retake

Like Nippyfan said above, you would get more responses in the Pre-do forum, so you should def post about your chances there.

You have great ECs, and your GPA is slightly better than an avg DO app, but that 495 will be frowned by many schools. Some may even say to apply early to the newer schools and you might have a shot, but I say why settle for one of the newer schools when a mcat retake might place you in one of the more established DO schools? And, you should also realize that some of these DO schools receive more thank 5K applications for a seat of 150-200 students (Touro NY about 10K, NYITCOM 7K and I think PCOM more than 10K applications), so it gets very competitive.

If you do not want to retake the mcat then look into the postbaccs, because doing well in one of these might give you a seat in their upcoming class.

You should be fine for the Podiatry as well (to start this year). Again, post in the pred0 forum for more responses.

Last edited:
Yea standards have really risen in recent years. Also take into account grade replacement will no longer be available for AACOMAS starting this upcoming cycle, so however you calculated your GPA may not be the way it is calculated moving forward.

In regards to your DO chances, what the other people have said.
The problem isn't your GPAs or ECs. Stop focusing on that.

Grit your teeth and kill the MCAT. A 500+ would net you ii.

As for "best DPM" school this is completely subjective. Best in terms of what? Education? Residency placement? Graduation rate? Number of Rotation sites? weather?
The first 3 listed are significantly dependent on the individual.

Try a simple search for each school or go through the specific Questions for each DPM school thread.
When you go interview, cast a wide net and see which program you fit in better.
Every school has the resources and power to prepare you well. It is largely up to you to take it and perform well.

Also because there are only 9 in the US compared to MD/DO programs, they will not vary nearly as much as MD/DO programs in differences.

In regards to your DO chances, what the other people have said.
The problem isn't your GPAs or ECs. Stop focusing on that.

Grit your teeth and kill the MCAT. A 500+ would net you ii.

As for "best DPM" school this is completely subjective. Best in terms of what? Education? Residency placement? Graduation rate? Number of Rotation sites? weather?
The first 3 listed are significantly dependent on the individual.

Try a simple search for each school or go through the specific Questions for each DPM school thread.
When you go interview, cast a wide net and see which program you fit in better.
Every school has the resources and power to prepare you well. It is largely up to you to take it and perform well.

Also because there are only 9 in the US compared to MD/DO programs, they will not vary nearly as much as MD/DO programs in differences.

Residency placement and education is what are most important to me.

And yes, I know the MCAT hindered me, but I'm applying to DO as more of "reach" school for that reason. I'm focusing more on DPM since i think I have better chances in that field and was always interested in sports medicine.

I read that there aren't secondary application for DPM, is there still an interview process?

Residency placement and education is what are most important to me.

And yes, I know the MCAT hindered me, but I'm applying to DO as more of "reach" school for that reason. I'm focusing more on DPM since i think I have better chances in that field and was always interested in sports medicine.

I read that there aren't secondary application for DPM, is there still an interview process?

No secondaries no "match" system.

Apply through AACPMAS. Read the FAQs that might help. Next cycle opens in August but if you want to apply now before deadline you can too.

No secondaries no "match" system.

Apply through AACPMAS. Read the FAQs that might help. Next cycle opens in August but if you want to apply now before deadline you can too.
If I were to apply now, wouldn't my chances for acceptance be slim since it's so late in the game?

If I were to apply now, wouldn't my chances for acceptance be slim since it's so late in the game?
There are still spots and I imagine there will be up to the end of the cycle. Best of luck!

There are still spots and I imagine there will be up to the end of the cycle. Best of luck!
Just last week about two schools emailed me saying "it's not too late...."

Believe it or not, I think the very late end of the cycle might be easier to get in even if you have borderline stats.

Because if a school has like 5 seats left and 0 applicants, why not have that seat filled versus left empty?

Last edited:

There are less applications this year than previous years. That alone would give you a good chance.

Combined with your compelling GPAs which are very good already for podiatry, I'd say apply now.

There are less applications this year than previous years. That alone would give you a good chance.

Combined with your compelling GPAs which are very good already for podiatry, I'd say apply now.
How much is each DPM application? I'm not finding it in the information book

Just last week about two schools emailed me saying "it's not too late...."

Believe it or not, I think the very late end of the cycle might be easier to get in even if you have borderline stats.

Because if a school has like 5 seats left and 0 applicants, why not have that seat filled versus left empty?
I've doing my research and everything, I have decided to apply for Fall 2017 DPM. Is there any advice you can give me? What I should expect in the interview process?

I've doing my research and everything, I have decided to apply for Fall 2017 DPM. Is there any advice you can give me? What I should expect in the interview process?
Go to the interview feedback section on the board! Lots of great information there!!!! Best of Luck!!

School Rankings List | Student Doctor Network

Under "School Type" scroll down to podiatry schools.

Almost forgot how to get here but for the readers, go to SDN "Home" ---> "Resources" ---> "Interview Feedback"

Is it too late to apply? A DPM told me he's write an LOR in a month, should I wait or send my application asap?

Is it too late to apply? A DPM told me he's write an LOR in a month, should I wait or send my application asap?

You can send your app in without having LORs yet and programs will still look at your file.

Unless you are dead set on attending Scholl, they require LORs in before looking at your file.

Same situation and I am sending in my app this week, worth a shot in my opinion.
what are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm trying to send mine out within the week but the DPM that I shadowed is out of town and has my LOR.