This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wondering has anyone ever been accepted prior to having taken the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, here's my stats
1. Schools you are applying to (All? not sure yet)
cGPA/sGPA (3.44/3.39)
MCAT Score (506 -> 128/124/128/126)
Podiatry Experience (none)
Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable) (none)
Volunteering
(3 years volunteering at church[at least 6 hours a week], 4 months of full time research[120hrs], 25 weeks of at least 6 hours per week for research[150hrs], I will be graduating this summer with honours chemistry and minor in biology)
HOWEVER, I have not taken an english course yet. I plan to do so sometime this year. With that being said, are there any schools that does not require english prereq?

Also, I am Canadian.

Any thoughts? thanks!

You would probably get in no problem at any of the schools with the stats listed, but you have no clinical experience. Do you plan on shadowing a podiatrist anytime soon? Is podiatry something you truly want to do or did you try MD/DO first and didn't have a successful cycle? I ask because based on your post, you have not been exposed to the field at all.

Stats are great, scholarship worthy to be honest, but a DPM letter is a requirement at all 9 schools. Definitely find a DPM to shadow to see if this is something you want to do.

Hello, here's my stats
1. Schools you are applying to (All? not sure yet)
cGPA/sGPA (3.44/3.39)
MCAT Score (506 -> 128/124/128/126)
Podiatry Experience (none)
Non-Podiatry Shadowing/Clinical Experience (If Applicable) (none)
Volunteering
(3 years volunteering at church[at least 6 hours a week], 4 months of full time research[120hrs], 25 weeks of at least 6 hours per week for research[150hrs], I will be graduating this summer with honours chemistry and minor in biology)
HOWEVER, I have not taken an english course yet. I plan to do so sometime this year. With that being said, are there any schools that does not require english prereq?

Also, I am Canadian.

Any thoughts? thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
1. Des Moines, Kent, NY, Temple and Rosalind
2. cGPA: 3.67/sGPA: 3.49
3. MCAT Score: 487 (took it in 05/2016)
4. Just started shadowing one and should be able to get some hours and a letter before applying.
5. Worked as a scribe and have over 500 hours of clinical experience in 5 different specialties. Now working as a lab technician.
6. Total of 100 hours from hospital (both in the floor and ER) and hours from food and blood bank.

I know my MCAT scores are really low and its been really stressing me. I plan on applying 2017 cycle. Do I have any chances with that MCAT score or should I just retake it while there is some time.

So studying for MCAT retakes has been close to impossible with a full time job and other stuff. Also, I was planning to take it by end of May just to be on the safe side. How detrimental is it applying early with a 487? :(

So studying for MCAT retakes has been close to impossible with a full time job and other stuff. Also, I was planning to take it by end of May just to be on the safe side. How detrimental is it applying early with a 487? :(

That's a shame. Your GPAs are pretty high.

Can't speak for Temple or DMU but you might have a shot at Kent and Scholl.

Will probably be a school by school basis. Have you tried contacting adcoms and asking? They might have a better picture of how many slots they have left / how competitive your app is right now.

Will probably be a school by school basis. Have you tried contacting adcoms and asking? They might have a better picture of how many slots they have left / how competitive your app is right now.

Scholl sent me a friendly reminder today that there are still opened spots and I should finish the application I started back in August '16. Can't believe it's about to be a whole year already.

I should have followed through and applied last year. Seriously...

Back on topic, there's still time and space left for Pringle. The MCAT won't be that much of a killer since the GPAs are quite good to be honest. I personally wouldn't retake and just send out apps to all 9.

Reactions: 1 users
Scholl sent me a friendly reminder today that there are still opened spots and I should finish the application I started back in August '16. Can't believe it's about to be a whole year already.

Back on topic, there's still time and space left for Pringle. The MCAT won't be that much of a killer since the GPAs are quite good to be honest. I personally wouldn't retake and just send out apps to all 9.

I'm still getting Midwestern's Biomed program reminders after getting a rejection from them.

Don't blame them, its a strong SMP.

I'm still getting Midwestern's Biomed program reminders after getting a rejection from them.

Lol... it is a business after all. + one school's reject is another school's accepted student.

It's also interesting they would encourage you to pursue yet another MS program even though you're currently in one already and you put that on your xcripts when you applied.

Lol... the biomed program.. because a bachelors in biology isnt already usleless enough haha i went to their dental simulation a couple years ago and there were current dental students who had done that and were gonna be up to their eyeballs in debt (550k+). And i couldnt believe it haha especially that they just shrugged it off

Lol... it is a business after all. + one school's reject is another school's accepted student.

It's also interesting they would encourage you to pursue yet another MS program even though you're currently in one already and you put that on your xcripts when you applied.

Yeah. I was a bit shocked at first but right after I was thinking "Oye....makes sense if I didn't already spend 40k on the current masters."

Lol... the biomed program.. because a bachelors in biology isnt already usleless enough haha i went to their dental simulation a couple years ago and there were current dental students who had done that and were gonna be up to their eyeballs in debt (550k+). And i couldnt believe it haha especially that they just shrugged it off

If I was smarter and more vocal about what I wanted to do during undergrad, I would've picked a completely different major. I wanted to build race cars :(

[/u]If I was smarter and more vocal about what I wanted to do during undergrad, I would've picked a completely different major.[/u] I wanted to build race cars :(

bro... if I had more "cojones" to stand up to my parents back as an 18-yr old college freshman, I would be getting ready to graduate from pod school next year! (serious). I can only comfort myself by saying "...everything happens for a reason"

Members don't see this ad :)
bro... if I had more "cojones" to stand up to my parents back as an 18-yr old college freshman, I would be getting ready to graduate from pod school next year! (serious). I can only comfort myself by saying "...everything happens for a reason"

Get it bruh. I know that feel.

Hey Guys
Im taking the MCAT in 10 days
But im not that confident in my score
Ive been getting 500s on my practice exams
How realistic would it be for me to apply this cycle when the mcat results come back on May 2nd?
Im mainly gunning for NYCPM
My GPA is 3.1 sGPA 2.95
Would the worse case scenario be just to retake and apply early in August?

Hey Guys
How realistic would it be for me to apply this cycle when the mcat results come back on May 2nd?
My GPA is 3.1 sGPA 2.95
Apply. There will be spots available at most of the schools. Don't think about the worst case scenario. You're going to do great on the MCAT and rock your interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the encouragement
Do you know if you can still submit without an MCAT score?

You can but you probably won't get an interview until after the score is released. It doesn't hurt to have it submitted.

Hey Guys
My GPA is 3.1 sGPA 2.95

What SLCpod said.

My GPAs were very similar to yours. Got invites.

You won't know until you try. Focus on the MCAT. If you have time to be worried about application cycles, you have time to be crunching practice problems.

No point in stressing about applying if it relies on getting that MCAT done with right? Get yourself together. Focus.

Yup, they won't review it till the app is complete with the MCAT score. I'm taking mine in May, and the score comes out in June...So I'm hoping for a spot as well..lol...but if our stats are good then we should be fine! Gota do well on the MCAT though. But, there is always that Jan class at NYCPM!!!

Yup, they won't review it till the app is complete with the MCAT score. I'm taking mine in May, and the score comes out in June...So I'm hoping for a spot as well..lol...but if our stats are good then we should be fine! Gota do well on the MCAT though. But, there is always that Jan class at NYCPM!!!

(for some reason) I thought you were already a pod student, Dex.

(for some reason) I thought you were already a pod student, Dex.

lol no, I just came to the party few months in advance!!

I wanted to get in this past Jan class at NYCPM...but my mcat score expired...so needed a retake..my file has been complete since Jan or so...just waiting for that score! I did email few of the schools last week and it seems like they usually have seats avail even till end of June. I'm a nontrad so I really have to start "something" this fall, so I applied to few other places like postbaccs as backups, but Podiatry is still my top choice, though!

You're fine. Just apply now.

Any reason you didn't go MD/DO? Your GPA is a shoe in. If you could get that MCAT to 506-508 you'd have invites to your choices.

Sorry I don't check on here that much. I'm still debating about DO/MD but I like the aspect of concentrating on the lower region because if I want to do sports medicine it would make more sense to focus on that part instead of trying to be an orthopedic surgeon and then specialize in fellowship for another 3 years.

I agree with Weirdy, and since you asked about scholarships, I think you're more likely to get a scholarship if you can retake the MCAT and score a 500+. I'm not sure about the scholarship criteria at other schools but Temple mentioned on my interview day that 2/3 of the "weight" is determined by how high your MCAT is. The other 1/3 is determined by a mixture of GPA, number of science credits, ranking of your university, etc. (Fwiw, I got a scholarship at Temple and NYCPM with a low GPA and high MCAT.)

But definitely apply this upcoming cycle rather than wait another year :D

Yeah I figured taking the MCAT again was necessary to at least get above 70th pecentile.

Just going to let you know what I have seen from a few friends that have applied to DPM/MD/DO school. Maybe not as likely with DPM, but don't be surprised if a lot of schools question that GPA/MCAT combination. I have had two friends in a similar situation that haven't gotten in (one DO, one DPM) because that MCAT grade makes the GPA look skeptical from whatever school/major you got it from. Probably not the case, and I would still apply; just be prepared to answer that question.

Long story actually which will go into my personal statement. When I took the MCAT the first time my mum at that time had a mild cardiac arrest. I was not really focused on the test or studying along with classes due to that. I was set to take the MCAT again that fall but was told I had renal failure after having symptoms of the flu. So for a month and a half I was seeing a nephrologist. Turns out I won't be dying in 3 years (phew) b/c the lab results from my schools metabolic panel apparently were inaccurate. All this happened in 2015. I then had a non driving DWI (parked car) in spring 2016 that I mainly dealt with and decided taking time off from school and working a respectable job can show grad programs I don't have any dependency issues. Currently studying for the MCAT again and hopefully can take it this June or July.

Long story actually which will go into my personal statement. When I took the MCAT the first time my mum at that time had a mild cardiac arrest. I was not really focused on the test or studying along with classes due to that. I was set to take the MCAT again that fall but was told I had renal failure after having symptoms of the flu. So for a month and a half I was seeing a nephrologist. Turns out I won't be dying in 3 years (phew) b/c the lab results from my schools metabolic panel apparently were inaccurate. All this happened in 2015. I then had a non driving DWI (parked car) in spring 2016 that I mainly dealt with and decided taking time off from school and working a respectable job can show grad programs I don't have any dependency issues. Currently studying for the MCAT again and hopefully can take it this June or July.

Ahh okay that makes sense, and my apologies, that seems like it was quite a stretch of events. If I were to retake it again (maybe July) I would definitely focus more on test taking/answering question strategies than just straight studying. Also, if you don't mind me asking, why were you using lab results from your school?? Was it associated with medical campus/hospital? I only ask because I graduated with MLS degree and still would have never chosen to get results from my school lol. They are only JCAHO approved at the minimal criteria and don't even have CAP requirements either.

I'm a second semester sophomore majoring in biology at a top ranked university. I currently TA a biology class, do independent research, am involved in music on my campus, and volunteer at the hospital. My GPA is currently around a 3.1. Right now, I'm enrolled in Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry 2, a psych class, a Spanish class, and an independent research course (carrying 22 credits). What are my chances based on how I'm doing now to apply after next Spring semester? Last summer I spent shadowing and teaching a summer program for high school pre-meds at a local university, and this summer I'll be shadowing again and continuing research and volunteering. Any insight on my current standing would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

I'm a second semester sophomore majoring in biology at a top ranked university. I currently TA a biology class, do independent research, am involved in music on my campus, and volunteer at the hospital. My GPA is currently around a 3.1. Right now, I'm enrolled in Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry 2, a psych class, a Spanish class, and an independent research course (carrying 22 credits). What are my chances based on how I'm doing now to apply after next Spring semester? Last summer I spent shadowing and teaching a summer program for high school pre-meds at a local university, and this summer I'll be shadowing again and continuing research and volunteering. Any insight on my current standing would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Keep your grades up.

That's about it. You're only a sophomore right now. Keep sGPA and cGPA above 3.0 and start looking into the MCAT around your senior year.

@SLCpod

If only I had a penny for every "what are my chances" post outside of the WAMC thread...I wouldn't need these student loans.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Ahh okay that makes sense, and my apologies, that seems like it was quite a stretch of events. If I were to retake it again (maybe July) I would definitely focus more on test taking/answering question strategies than just straight studying. Also, if you don't mind me asking, why were you using lab results from your school?? Was it associated with medical campus/hospital? I only ask because I graduated with MLS degree and still would have never chosen to get results from my school lol. They are only JCAHO approved at the minimal criteria and don't even have CAP requirements either.

I just went to the clinic on campus because I didn't think it was a big issue at the time. Also, I didn't know their criteria were that low lol. Thanks for the information. I thought a clinic would still be able to be competent enough to give results after two tests.

I am still gonna try my best to take MCATs again. I still have time and I feel like I should try it. However, I happen to email Kent regarding their podiatry internship and was advised that I go ahead and apply this cycle as there is no penalty for applying twice. Are there any other negative impacts of being a re-applicant?

I am still gonna try my best to take MCATs again. I still have time and I feel like I should try it. However, I happen to email Kent regarding their podiatry internship and was advised that I go ahead and apply this cycle as there is no penalty for applying twice. Are there any other negative impacts of being a re-applicant?
Doubt it

Podiatry doesn't seem as strict about reapplicants compared to say MD/DO.

Take their advice. Worse case you've navigated all the logistics of applying and come back familiar with it.

Hi, I am applying next application cycle.
Resident: West coast
cgpa: 2.94
spa: 2.8x
MCAT: 506
Medical related ECs:100+ hours volunteering in a hospital, ~50 hours volunteering in a clinic in underserved area, ~30 hours shadowing Pod
Non-medical related ECs: Sunday School Teacher, Chemistry club officer, Intramural sports...

Im a little worried about my GPAs but my last 3 terms have been 3.8+

School list:
Western
Barry
CSPM
NYCPM
Temple
Scholl

Last edited:
Medical related ECs:100+ hours volunteering in a hospital, ~50 hours volunteering in a clinic in underserved area, ~30 hours shadowing Pod
Non-medical related ECs: Sunday School Teacher, Chemistry club officer, Intramural sports...

School list:
Western
Barry
CSPM
NYCPM
Temple
Scholl

You should be fine if your last 3 semesters were sharp upward trend.

Apply soon as cycle opens in August.

Any reason why there's a large discrepancy between MCAT and GPA? Do you go to a particularly hard school?

You should be fine if your last 3 semesters were sharp upward trend.

Apply soon as cycle opens in August.

Any reason why there's a large discrepancy between MCAT and GPA? Do you go to a particularly hard school?
I did go to a known grade deflating school... but honestly Im not going to make excuses, my grades were low because I had poor study habits. I just hope adcoms can see I turned that around.

I did go to a known grade deflating school... but honestly Im not going to make excuses, my grades were low because I had poor study habits. I just hope adcoms can see I turned that around.

They will. Honesty and maturity will get you along way during interviews. Best of luck. Hop on it soon as cycle opens in August.

School list:
Western
Barry
CSPM
NYCPM
Temple
Scholl
No love for AZ?

http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf

Based on this link it says the lowest sgpa and cgpa for matriculants was a 3.05 and 3.25. and my GPAs are below that. Do you think I should still apply?

I think you have a really good MCAT for pod school and it would offset your slightly low GPA's fairly well. I think you have a good chance of getting into any of the pod schools and you should apply for all or at least all of the schools you have an interest in going. I think it's definitely worth it and think you stand a good shot at any of the schools.

So guys I had to void my exam on Friday
Im trying to decide if I should even apply this cycle or not
the latest exam I could take is May 20th and the scores come out June 20th
This would probably too late to submit right?

Void after having taken it? What made you void?

The exam is May 19th.

I'm also taking it that day and after emailing several schools, it seems they do have some seats available before the 6/30 deadline. Apply to the school you are interested in now, take the May exam, submit score in June and hope for the best!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dude, don't void. You need like a 20% percentile to get accepted into podiatry school. Like 490. You could guess on 70% of the questions and get that high of a score.

Dude, don't void. You need like a 20% percentile to get accepted into podiatry school. Like 490. You could guess on 70% of the questions and get that high of a score.
I have a 3.1 gpa and 2.95 sgpa
So I need quite a bit higher to get accepted!
I had really bad stomach problems during the first section I had to guess on 5 passages in order to get to use the bathroom
Next time I'm taking Imodium

I have a 3.1 gpa and 2.95 sgpa
So I need quite a bit higher to get accepted!
I had really bad stomach problems during the first section I had to guess on 5 passages in order to get to use the bathroom
Next time I'm taking Imodium

My sGPA was almost identical to yours.

I don't think the GPAs are a problem.

Focus on the MCAT. Only take the gap year if you feel it will make you stronger.

Does anybody know how many seats are left at Kent? I interviewed recently and felt pretty good about it. I should be hearing a decision this week, but am curious.

Does anybody know how many seats are left at Kent? I interviewed recently and felt pretty good about it. I should be hearing a decision this week, but am curious.
Not sure how many seats are left but you should be fine!!!! Glad the interview went well!!!

This is a bit misleading. I had a score around that range, and everyone in my group of interviewees had higher scores than me. Some had post-bac's. If you have a lower MCAT score, you need a much higher GPA, or amazing EC's, or a combination of both to be considered.

This is a bit misleading. I had a score around that range, and everyone in my group of interviewees had higher scores than me. Some had post-bac's. If you have a lower MCAT score, you need a much higher GPA, or amazing EC's, or a combination of both to be considered.

Everyone in my interview group had a higher MCAT than me too, but I still got in with really low 490s. This might not be true next year, so it is better to apply with a low MCAT score now before it goes up.