This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I am wondering what my chances are for this cycle. Personally, I would highly prefer not taking a gap year however; I am worried it is not worth applying based on my stats and/or timing. Wondering what outsiders think. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

sGPA: 3.43 cGPA: 3.46
MCAT: 484 (Aug. 2016), 489 (Jan. 2017)
EC's: podiatry internship, research internship last summer, EMT-b and member of a fire dept. for 3 years, NCAA Division II 4 year athlete, 3 awards (all academic), 50 hours of shadowing a pod. , strong letters of rec.

You will likely get into one of the bigger schools if you were to apply today. In fact I'd bet money on it. They will eat up all of your ECs.

IMO your GPA and ECs will offset the lower MCAT. It may be lower than the averages shown on SDN but I'd bet that your 489 is close to the average overall for acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I am wondering what my chances are for this cycle. Personally, I would highly prefer not taking a gap year however; I am worried it is not worth applying based on my stats and/or timing. Wondering what outsiders think. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

sGPA: 3.43 cGPA: 3.46
MCAT: 484 (Aug. 2016), 489 (Jan. 2017)
EC's: podiatry internship, research internship last summer, EMT-b and member of a fire dept. for 3 years, NCAA Division II 4 year athlete, 3 awards (all academic), 50 hours of shadowing a pod. , strong letters of rec.

I will put my 2 cents in for what it is worth and apply ASAP!!! Your GPA and EC's are good and will most likely get you invites.

Hi first time posting on this thread. Just wondered if my stats were good enough for podiatry school and any scholarships.
cGPA: 3.9 sGPA: 3.8ish (can't remember)
MCAT: 494 (may 2015)
ECs: treasurer of asian student org for 2 out of 4 years i was with them, part of LULAC for 1 year, historian for another org for a year out of 2 years, part of a fraternity for 3 years (was a recruitment chairman and president), country dance team for two years, multiple health organizations including pre-podiatry club
Health related: internships at UTMB and TAMU medical schools, shadowing about 60 hours emergency, plastic, cardiology, and sports medicine, researched for 3.5 years on the metabolic rates of alligators and have a paper published
Volunteering: volunteered at children's hospital 72 hours, various philantrophy involvement 85 hours, habitat for humanity 47 hours

I am currently a quality control engineer during my gap year (graduated in may of 2016). Always wanted to do sports medicine and with this time I have started looking at podiatry due to the surgical aspect and concentration in the foot area. Thinking abut retaking my MCAT again but just wondered if I should apply for 2019 once I retake or should I go ahead and apply for 2018. Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi first time posting on this thread. Just wondered if my stats were good enough for podiatry school and any scholarships.
ECs: treasurer of asian student org for 2 out of 4 years i was with them, part of LULAC for 1 year, historian for another org for a year out of 2 years, part of a fraternity for 3 years (was a recruitment chairman and president), country dance team for two years, multiple health organizations including pre-podiatry club
Health related: internships at UTMB and TAMU medical schools, shadowing about 60 hours emergency, plastic, cardiology, and sports medicine, researched for 3.5 years on the metabolic rates of alligators and have a paper published
Volunteering: volunteered at children's hospital 72 hours, various philantrophy involvement 85 hours, habitat for humanity 47 hours

I am currently a quality control engineer during my gap year (graduated in may of 2016). Always wanted to do sports medicine and with this time I have started looking at podiatry due to the surgical aspect and concentration in the foot area. Thinking abut retaking my MCAT again but just wondered if I should apply for 2019 once I retake or should I go ahead and apply for 2018. Thank you

You're fine. Just apply now.

Any reason you didn't go MD/DO? Your GPA is a shoe in. If you could get that MCAT to 506-508 you'd have invites to your choices.

I agree with Weirdy, and since you asked about scholarships, I think you're more likely to get a scholarship if you can retake the MCAT and score a 500+. I'm not sure about the scholarship criteria at other schools but Temple mentioned on my interview day that 2/3 of the "weight" is determined by how high your MCAT is. The other 1/3 is determined by a mixture of GPA, number of science credits, ranking of your university, etc. (Fwiw, I got a scholarship at Temple and NYCPM with a low GPA and high MCAT.)

But definitely apply this upcoming cycle rather than wait another year :D

I see lots of people getting scholarships, but do not see any posts about AZpod scholarships. Is it harder to get one there or do they not give out as many?

Just going to let you know what I have seen from a few friends that have applied to DPM/MD/DO school. Maybe not as likely with DPM, but don't be surprised if a lot of schools question that GPA/MCAT combination. I have had two friends in a similar situation that haven't gotten in (one DO, one DPM) because that MCAT grade makes the GPA look skeptical from whatever school/major you got it from. Probably not the case, and I would still apply; just be prepared to answer that question.

I see lots of people getting scholarships, but do not see any posts about AZpod scholarships. Is it harder to get one there or do they not give out as many?

May be sample bias. For example Barry and CSPM students may not post on here as much as the other schools.

I believe if you send AZpod an email post interview they'll be happy to give you some stats on the scholarships.

I believe last cycle AZpod was not giving out any scholarships at all. Same for Western I believe. Newer schools tend to have less resources for scholarship money and those are the two newest podiatry schools.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I'm about 95% sure AZPOD doesn't give scholarships out to 1st years at all. I think it was asked on my interview day.

Hey guys! New to SDN here. I'll try to keep things as consice as possible. Your honest opinions are greatly appreciated!

1. B.S in Biology from a SUNY school
2. cGPA 3.33, sGPA 3.09
3. MCAT scheduled in a month and a half
4. ~400 hours in EM scribing
5. ~100 hours shadowing an EM physician (expect at least a good rec)
6. ~100 hours shadowing an internist (I expect a strong rec)
7. ~100 hours volunteering at university hospital
8. ~100 hours for a volunteer research internship (received a rec)
9. ~250 hours as an undergrad research assistant (2 semesters)
10. TA in mindful-based stress management (will receive strong rec), TA in physics (received an okay rec mainly because the professor didn't really know any of his TA's so personally)
11. E-board member for school club
12. Solid community involvement including about 400 hours of volunteering with autistic children, among other non-medical/health related things
13. Have strong recs from a first semester physics professor and a non-science professor in poetry

I plan on shadowing a DPM as soon as I can find one. I know it may be hard to give solid opinions based on having no MCAT grade at all yet, but any advice is more than appreciated.

I should also note than I am a NYS resident, so going to school/practicing in NYC, followed by Temple would definitely be my top 1 and 2 choices, respectively. So any information regarding those schools would be awesome!

Thank you so much in advance for anyone who took the time to read and/or reply!!!

Hey guys! New to SDN here. I'll try to keep things as consice as possible. Your honest opinions are greatly appreciated!

1. B.S in Biology from a SUNY school
2. cGPA 3.33, sGPA 3.09
3. MCAT scheduled in a month and a half
4. ~400 hours in EM scribing
5. ~100 hours shadowing an EM physician (expect at least a good rec)
6. ~100 hours shadowing an internist (I expect a strong rec)
7. ~100 hours volunteering at university hospital
8. ~100 hours for a volunteer research internship (received a rec)
9. ~250 hours as an undergrad research assistant (2 semesters)
10. TA in mindful-based stress management (will receive strong rec), TA in physics (received an okay rec mainly because the professor didn't really know any of his TA's so personally)
11. E-board member for school club
12. Solid community involvement including about 400 hours of volunteering with autistic children, among other non-medical/health related things
13. Have strong recs from a first semester physics professor and a non-science professor in poetry

I plan on shadowing a DPM as soon as I can find one. I know it may be hard to give solid opinions based on having no MCAT grade at all yet, but any advice is more than appreciated.

I should also note than I am a NYS resident, so going to school/practicing in NYC, followed by Temple would definitely be my top 1 and 2 choices, respectively. So any information regarding those schools would be awesome!

Thank you so much in advance for anyone who took the time to read and/or reply!!!

Are you applying both DO and podiatry? Personally, I would not send in your LORs from the EM and IM docs, I would stick to 1 DPM and 2-3 academic professors.

You have a good shot at both NYCPM and Temple as long as you score around average on the MCAT. If you score well, you might even get scholarships. (I speak from experience this past cycle. ;)) Good luck!

Are you applying both DO and podiatry? Personally, I would not send in your LORs from the EM and IM docs, I would stick to 1 DPM and 2-3 academic professors.

You have a good shot at both NYCPM and Temple as long as you score around average on the MCAT. If you score well, you might even get scholarships. (I speak from experience this past cycle. ;)) Good luck!

Hi jelly-b!

Thanks a ton for your input. I was generally going to apply to some allopathic and osteopathic schools, only to have recently been opened to the world of podiatry by a friend. The overall package that podiatry offers, such as lifestyle (generally), security in knowing what I will study from day 1, the opportunities to grow in the field, being able to stay closer to home, saving money, etc, has really made a huge impact on me. I have done a ton of research on it, which made me like it even more. I am prepared to solely concentrate my efforts on getting accepted into podiatry school.

If I may bother you again, why do you advise against submitting letters from other doctors that aren't DPM's? And also, would you personally suggest applying for the January class even though it might be kinda late? Or stick it out until August and apply first thing? Does applying to the January class late only for seats to be full or anything like that affect my chances of being considered for the next term?

Thanks again for the response jelly-b!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi jelly-b!

Thanks a ton for your input. I was generally going to apply to some allopathic and osteopathic schools, only to have recently been opened to the world of podiatry by a friend. The overall package that podiatry offers, such as lifestyle (generally), security in knowing what I will study from day 1, the opportunities to grow in the field, being able to stay closer to home, saving money, etc, has really made a huge impact on me. I have done a ton of research on it, which made me like it even more. I am prepared to solely concentrate my efforts on getting accepted into podiatry school.

If I may bother you again, why do you advise against submitting letters from other doctors that aren't DPM's? And also, would you personally suggest applying for the January class even though it might be kinda late? Or stick it out until August and apply first thing? Does applying to the January class late only for seats to be full or anything like that affect my chances of being considered for the next term?

Thanks again for the response jelly-b!
I don't think letters from MD/DOs will hold much weight in the podiatry application cycle, but I could see them hurting you a bit. A common question at interviews will be "Why podiatry and not allopathic/osteopathic med school?" I was asked that, and it also shows up quite a bit in the Interview Feedback section. It's just an unnecessary hurdle that you don't need to willingly set yourself up for, imo. :)

I'm not sure when the application for the January 2018 class opens... is it open right now? If it is, it's not too late because I know at least one user here interviewed in December and is currently in the January class at NYCPM. She had a very quick turnaround. I'm not sure about your last question, regarding how it would affect your chances for the next term, but I honestly don't see you having trouble getting accepted to either term as long as your MCAT score is at least average!

I hope I answered your questions satisfactorily, but maybe some other users can chime in regarding the MD/DO LORs...

I would send the other two doc's letters. I'm currently an NYCPM student and I submitted letters from a DO GYN (my mentor) and FM MD (my old boss) in addition to the pod letter. A big questions one of the interviewers asked me about was having a passion for medicine (notice he said medicine in general not specifically podiatry). Having letters from these other doctors shows you have that passion and that you explored your options. The only way they would harm you is if they were negative. And I'm not sure about other schools, but the NYCPM admissions committee know that they get a good chunk of applicants who tried applying MD/DO and then tried/learned about podiatry (like myself). They are more concerned about if you are good student who can handle the academics than if you flirted with other fields.

Also I def recommend applying for the Jan class, it's an all around great deal that I wish in hindsight I would have done.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both jelly-b and El Barrio for the insight.

To answer jelly-b, their website states that (for the January class) "it is advisable to apply before November 15 to ensure fullest consideration for admission and scholarship review." So I guess it can't hurt to apply before then if possible? My app should be good to go in July-ish.

Their website did also state that their average cGPA was a 3.4, and I think their average sGPA was a 3.3. It gets a bit scary, but I'm sure they're accepting people a bit above and below that. Would you guys mind sharing your stats that you got in with?

P.S. El Barrio, I'm loving the Petyr Baelish icon as much as I dislike that man :laugh:

Thank you both jelly-b and El Barrio for the insight.

To answer jelly-b, their website states that (for the January class) "it is advisable to apply before November 15 to ensure fullest consideration for admission and scholarship review." So I guess it can't hurt to apply before then if possible? My app should be good to go in July-ish.

Their website did also state that their average cGPA was a 3.4, and I think their average sGPA was a 3.3. It gets a bit scary, but I'm sure they're accepting people a bit above and below that. Would you guys mind sharing your stats that you got in with?

P.S. El Barrio, I'm loving the Petyr Baelish icon as much as I dislike that man :laugh:
I'm glad El Barrio was able to give you better insight! I will PM you my stats.

Yeah, these sorts of things are always interesting and potentially misleading I think. For one, this survey is a sample of 571 podiatrists, which represents somewhere between 3-5% of the entire population of podiatrists. And we could have a long discussion about which podiatrists are more likely to fill out a survey for the APMA/PM News/ACFAS/etc. I can only add that I don't personally know any podiatrists that work less than 40 hours a week. If you're planning on coming into practice and working less than 40 hours a week, you should consider going into practice for yourself where you can set those hours, because most jobs will expect more than that.
Many people prefer podiatry over medicine for the better lifestyle. So, how many hours per week then would you say podiatrists really work? There is no doubt 571 is a small sample size, but it is still really interesting to see that.

Many people prefer podiatry over medicine for the better lifestyle. So, how many hours per week then would you say podiatrists really work? There is no doubt 571 is a small sample size, but it is still really interesting to see that.
Well, I'm not saying the results of the survey are wrong, I just mean that they need to be taken in context. As I alluded to in my post, different types of people tend to gravitate towards one organization or another which skews the survey results. APMA, as the medical organization in the profession, likely has more podiatrists that have outpatient-only practices or work part-time or do less surgery or take less hospital call. The survey also includes a fair percentage that are working part-time. I'm assuming that you are looking for a full-time job.

I do believe that the average number of hours worked by a podiatrist is less than what is worked by a general surgeon or orthopedic surgeon, but it's probably close to several other specialties in medicine such as family medicine, etc. And there are plenty like me that work 50-60 hours a week (or more) depending on how busy the hospital is. All I mean is that you shouldn't go into this profession assuming that you're going to work less than 40 hours a week, be doing a ton of cool cases, and making loads of money. Or expect to have someone want to hire you if you want to work only 40 hours a week but want to make an above-average salary.

Well, I'm not saying the results of the survey are wrong, I just mean that they need to be taken in context. As I alluded to in my post, different types of people tend to gravitate towards one organization or another which skews the survey results. APMA, as the medical organization in the profession, likely has more podiatrists that have outpatient-only practices or work part-time or do less surgery or take less hospital call. The survey also includes a fair percentage that are working part-time. I'm assuming that you are looking for a full-time job.

I do believe that the average number of hours worked by a podiatrist is less than what is worked by a general surgeon or orthopedic surgeon, but it's probably close to several other specialties in medicine such as family medicine, etc. And there are plenty like me that work 50-60 hours a week (or more) depending on how busy the hospital is. All I mean is that you shouldn't go into this profession assuming that you're going to work less than 40 hours a week, be doing a ton of cool cases, and making loads of money. Or expect to have someone want to hire you if you want to work only 40 hours a week but want to make an above-average salary.

Wow. I thought 43 hours seemed like the average amount for a podiatrist. Maybe you just aren't average lol? 50-60 hours per week is around the same as a radiologist.

I think when people associate the term lifestyle with podiatry the comparison is with other surgical subspecialties, which, excluding outliers, work more hours per week.

So I have an MCAT of 500, GPA of 3.7 sGPA of 3.4, a double minor, over 200 hours volunteering, 100 hours of research, a publication, over 200 hours shadowing, over 3000 clinical experiences hours, I got a leadership position in a club at my school and I'm looking to apply to Barry.....Should I wait until the next cycle or do you think I could do okay applying now?

So I have an MCAT of 500, GPA of 3.7 sGPA of 3.4, a double minor, over 200 hours volunteering, 100 hours of research, a publication, over 200 hours shadowing, over 3000 clinical experiences hours, I got a leadership position in a club at my school and I'm looking to apply to Barry.....Should I wait until the next cycle or do you think I could do okay applying now?
Apply now!

You're like the ideal pod candidate that schools want..

Really? I don't know much about the Podiatry application process as I was initially looking in to DO and MD, but my MCAT score was pretty average/low for MD, I know it's a bit better for DO, but I wasn't sure how it would rank for DPM

Really? I don't know much about the Podiatry application process as I was initially looking in to DO and MD, but my MCAT score was pretty average/low for MD, I know it's a bit better for DO, but I wasn't sure how it would rank for DPM

Do you have any experience with shadowing a Podiatrist? If not, then do that first. Your stats are good enough, even for this year, but before you apply, you need to figure out if this is the field where you want to spend your next 7 years.

lol yeah if you're that unfamiliar with a career then don't just blindly apply. Shadow for a good bit of time first and make sure you know this is absolutely what you want.

Oh yeah, I'm absolutely shadowing...I'm just unfamiliar with the application process because I had focused on learning the other routes until considering DPM, so I wasn't sure what was considered competitive.

Oh yeah, I'm absolutely shadowing...I'm just unfamiliar with the application process because I had focused on learning the other routes until considering DPM, so I wasn't sure what was considered competitive.
Oh okay! My misunderstanding! Good luck!

1) Apply through AACPMAS
2) Cycle opens in August
3) Scholl specifically is the only program that requires DPM rec letter in before looking at your app
4) Consider Interfolio or other electronic letter sending records for rec letters. Helps a bunch.
5) Longest thing for me in the app was getting personal statement done. Second longest thing was transcript/input verification by AACPMAS, but even that was very bearable and customer service help replied instantly/explained what was wrong.
6) Rolling admissions so applying early really gave an advantage. With your stats however you could apply extremely late and still net interview invites as most of the bigger programs probably have not completely filled their seats yet.

Hey ladies and gentlemen I am a long time reader, but this is my first post. This thread seems really constructive from what I have seen. My applications just got verified and I am hoping to hear some good news soon. I applied everywhere except NYCPM and Samuel Merritt.

Cum GPA: 3.22
SGPA: 2.95
MCAT: 497
50+ hours with podiatrist
60 hours with Physical Therapist
180 hours volunteering as patient transport
Currently working as an inpatient phlebotomist
Worked through school on 3rd shift as a supervisor at UPS. I quit my job senior year to bring my grades up so I have a nice upward trend.

What do you all think? TIA

Hey ladies and gentlemen I am a long time reader, but this is my first post. This thread seems really constructive from what I have seen. My applications just got verified and I am hoping to hear some good news soon. I applied everywhere except NYCPM and Samuel Merritt.

Cum GPA: 3.22
SGPA: 2.95
MCAT: 497
50+ hours with podiatrist
60 hours with Physical Therapist
180 hours volunteering as patient transport
Currently working as an inpatient phlebotomist
Worked through school on 3rd shift as a supervisor at UPS. I quit my job senior year to bring my grades up so I have a nice upward trend.

What do you all think? TIA
I think you'll be just fine. Good luck with the interviews.

Hey Bear,

Your stats are very similar to mine. I had an indentical sGPA and a little higher cGPA but no upward trend. I also did not have an SMP like you are going through. MCAT was also very similar 488-- 493-- 496.

I fully believe you will get interview invites pending the strength of your personal statement/resume. Even AZpod offered an interview with these stats.

Some advice:

-Apply as early as the cycle opens first week of August. Getting everything in early gives you a huge advantage.
-Find a podiatrist to shadow asap- some areas are very scarce and some areas may have DPMs who won't let you get meaningful shadowing experiences in. Better to look into it early so you can plan for any bumps.
Weirdy,
So all of my stuff just got verified on the application site, they calculated my grades so a more accurate sGPA is 2.6 and cGPA is 3.3. I ended up with a C in a medical gross anatomy, which is a 7 hour course so it knocked my sGPA down unfortunately. But it was a medical school course so I think that might buffer it out a little? I suppose I could tell them I have a 4.0 for this semester currently, where I'm taking more upper level science courses, for whatever that will be worth in interviews (if I get any). The MCAT is still at a 492. Do you think this still looks okay? I know sGPA is a little concerning now, but the only thing I can really do is explain that it was a medical school course and how I'm doing better now.
Thanks

Weirdy,
So all of my stuff just got verified on the application site, they calculated my grades so a more accurate sGPA is 2.6 and cGPA is 3.3. I ended up with a C in a medical gross anatomy, which is a 7 hour course so it knocked my sGPA down unfortunately. But it was a medical school course so I think that might buffer it out a little? I suppose I could tell them I have a 4.0 for this semester currently, where I'm taking more upper level science courses, for whatever that will be worth in interviews (if I get any). The MCAT is still at a 492. Do you think this still looks okay? I know sGPA is a little concerning now, but the only thing I can really do is explain that it was a medical school course and how I'm doing better now.
Thanks
It is what it is. You can't change it now. If you have to retake a course and apply next year you'll be okay.

You'll be taking difficult courses in pod school so you should explain that you have learned from your experiences and give some specifics of how you have/are planning to manage heavy coursework in pod school.

Have you applied to Barry?

Weirdy,
Thanks

Okay, well you just got verified so it give it a couple of days...I think you'll get a couple of interviews tbh. If not, though, as stated before by others, apply right when the app opens next cycle.

Indeed I have. I applied to all, save the Arizona school.

I think you'll be just fine. Good luck with the interviews.

I have already been invited for interviews at WesternU and Kent State. I have not heard from the rest yet. I am super excited for the opportunity. Thanks everybody.

Reactions: 3 users
Weirdy,
Thanks

Hey bear, good to hear from you. I'm sorry the course turned out like that. The 4.0 semester will be noticeable.

SLC'S advice is dead on. All you can do is wait it out. Worse case you take a gap year and come back swinging even harder. You pace yourself and do what you need to do. If that means a gap year and retaking anatomy then you do it.

I have already been invited for interviews at WesternU and Kent State. I have not heard from the rest yet. I am super excited for the opportunity. Thanks everybody.
Let me know if you have any questions regarding KSUCPM!!!!

1. sGPA 3.49 GPA 3.65
2. 499 MCAT
3.over 2500+ service hours
4. 500+ hours working in a nursing home
5. 48 hour shadowing a podiatrist (I didnt add time I had shadowing other doctors)