This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello and welcome to the pod forums!

Ill paint you a realistic picture for honest chances

2.3 is gonna be REALLY hard to get in, even if your MCAT is pretty good. The lowest GPA I have heard of getting into podiatry school is around the 2.5 mark. I suppose that it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to snag an acceptance, especially at one of the larger schools.

I would try everything in your power to bump your GPA up to the 2.5 range.

Also, I would give a call to the schools and be honest. Ask them.

I'm on mobile so hard to do multi quotes. Doing this from memory ---

- no troll.

- lack of resources in carribean in what sense? I've personally seen residents and clinical rotation students at a hospital close to my home. and they were all foreign med students. American U Antigua was the school they all came from. I'm not going for something competitive like plastics. Aside pod, family medicine or intern med is what I would go for. I also have a buddy who just came out of the carriebans and his story is different from ur lack of resources and horror picture. Any stats u can give me, pls?

- not interested in nursing. My girl is a nurse, sister is a nurse, and cousin is nurse practitioner. It's not the job for me. Medical device sales isn't for me either. Worked as a salesman before and I didn't make it.

- I started undergrad doing psych. Hated it, switched to environmental studies.
- on mobile but there was a few threads where one guy was in my gpa range. He got about 40 on old mcat. He did a masters and still was below 3.0 and get 1 acceptance. Just need a similar chance to him that's all.

- $1k is, all I have now to, use for anything. I could try to register for a class in the summer science classes are 4 credits so will cost $1300+ but I would instead prefer to try my chances at podiatry acceptance.

- contacted some schools today. Some replied. They said masters or postbacc. And they look, at every part of the profile. They said a good mcat helps too.

- alternate careers: carribean school for IM, FM. Carriebean med schools seem to be more forgiving which is why I fancy my chances. If not medicine then I see myself getting a PhD and going into academia in the environmental science track

I really feel like taking a chance and applying. Not perfect grades but there's more to medicine than grades. After shadowing the doctor I really enjoy this field.

-There's really not much behind my grades. I just didn't care much for school at the time. I failed a class 2x back to back and I went to the professor because I
needed signature for change of major. We talked for a bit and he said if podiatry is what I want, I definitely have the capacity to do it. My grades aren't truly reflection of who I am as a student. That's my point here.

Members don't see this ad.

Temple told us at the beginning of the last interview cycle that they had more applicants than usual at that time, though it turns out overall last application cycle had a decrease in applicants of over 20%. There were still enough applicants to fill all the seats, but most schools apparently decided they'd rather have empty seats than subpar students. That's a big deal because every empty seat is tens of thousands of dollars per year. For that reason, I think anything below a 2.5 GPA has virtually no shot unless perhaps the other GPA and MCAT are well above average.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Caribbean is a lot worse now with the whole residency merger.. Now there aren't a separation of MD and DO residencies. Residencies will now be combined. So Caribbean graduates will be the very last ones looked at. Your chances of not matching into a residency will be very high, especially with more DO and MD schools opening up in the next few years. And trust me, you may think you have it bad now, but it'd be a lot worse if you graduated med school, had a lot of debt, and weren't able to get into a residency. There are much better options than doing this route.[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what to tell you man. Your money so I won't harp on it. If you think you have a shot, apply as soon as AACPMAS cycle opens August 3, 2017.

I just see a huge disconnect between your grades, your anecdotes for Carribean and its reality (do a quick search on SDN or contact @Goro , sorry for tagging you Goro), and your MCAT score which is very high relative to your GPA if that was your first attempt.

- no troll.

- lack of resources in carribean in what sense? I've personally seen residents and clinical rotation students at a hospital close to my home. and they were all foreign med students. American U Antigua was the school they all came from. I'm not going for something competitive like plastics. Aside pod, family medicine or intern med is what I would go for. I also have a buddy who just came out of the carriebans and his story is different from ur lack of resources and horror picture. Any stats u can give me, pls?

- not interested in nursing. My girl is a nurse, sister is a nurse, and cousin is nurse practitioner. It's not the job for me. Medical device sales isn't for me either. Worked as a salesman before and I didn't make it.

- on mobile but there was a few threads where one guy was in my gpa range. He got about 40 on old mcat. He did a masters and still was below 3.0 and get 1 acceptance. Just need a similar chance to him that's all.

- $1k is, all I have now to, use for anything. I could try to register for a class in the summer science classes are 4 credits so will cost $1300+ but I would instead prefer to try my chances at podiatry acceptance.

- contacted some schools today. Some replied. They said masters or postbacc. And they look, at every part of the profile. They said a good mcat helps too.

- alternate careers: carribean school for IM, FM. Carriebean med schools seem to be more forgiving which is why I fancy my chances. If not medicine then I see myself getting a PhD and going into academia in the environmental science track

I really feel like taking a chance and applying. Not perfect grades but there's more to medicine than grades. After shadowing the doctor I really enjoy this field.

-There's really not much behind my grades. I just didn't care much for school at the time. I failed a class 2x back to back and I went to the professor because I
needed signature for change of major. We talked for a bit and he said if podiatry is what I want, I definitely have the capacity to do it. My grades aren't truly reflection of who I am as a student. That's my point here.

Reactions: 1 user

- no troll.

ALS
, I think you've already made up your mind, and no one here can stop you from applying to either podiatry or caribbean. Weirdy is right-- it's your money. We're just giving you our honest thoughts on your situation since you asked.

I would agree that there's more to medicine than grades, but schools aren't obligated to give you a chance either. They're going to look at whether your academic history lends them to believe you will be able to pass the board exams and ultimately get a residency spot. Do you have a compelling reason for your low GPA? You've already said that you don't really have an upwards trend in your grades.

As for the previous applicant who got accepted with a 40 and master's, remember that you have neither. A 499 isn't remotely comparable to a 40 on the old MCAT, and you said a master's isn't an option for yourself. Just be sure to objectively assess yourself as an applicant before getting your hopes up...

Hi everybody, I'm wanting to apply in August to schools. Only have 1 academic LOR from my lab PI (where I have done research for credit so counts as science) and there is zero chance of me finding another professor to write another letter. Anyone know how strict Barry is on this? I'd submit a Pod, prof and can ask a lab supervisor and clinic executive director where I've volunteered.

3.45 overall GPA with 3.1-3.2 science. Taking MCAT in August. Lots of volunteering and research experience.

Thank you!

Hi everybody, I'm wanting to apply in August to schools. Only have 1 academic LOR from my lab PI (where I have done research for credit so counts as science) and there is zero chance of me finding another professor to write another letter. Anyone know how strict Barry is on this? I'd submit a Pod, prof and can ask a lab supervisor and clinic executive director where I've volunteered.

3.45 overall GPA with 3.1-3.2 science. Taking MCAT in August. Lots of volunteering and research experience.

Thank you!

IDK if you're college has it, but I got around not having 2 sci prof LOR by doing a committee letter through my undergrad's pre-health advising center. I think most schools take it as a substitute to the conventional LOR req. Even though my advising recommenced 2 sci prof letters, I submitted 1 non sci and 3 letters from an MD, DO, and pod and still got the committee interview and letter but this depends on how lenient you're advising office is. For what it's worth, only letter that adcom dean brought up during my interview was the pod LOR.

- no troll.

A 40 on the old MCAT is the 99th percentile, that a huge difference than a 499 which is 50th.

Just because you get into the school doesn't mean you're set and will make it to graduation. Whether its pod, DO, MD, carib... there's always some students every year who fail out n every program. I only got through one semester at NYCPM and we already lost 5 people out of 86 from not passing enough classes. And that's with the school genuinely looking out for their students and hoping they succeed. The Caribbean is a whole different beast. They are NOT looking out for every student's best interests, they are for profit and want your money to pay share holders. Sure students make it through and become successful, but that is only the cream of the crop. They take weak applicants fully well knowing they have a high chance of failure just to take their money for a semester or two before they kick them out. My friend is also a first year at one of the big 4 caribs and he said his class started with 850 kids and after their first semester they lost 150! That's almost double our entire 2020 pod class at NYCPM. And even if you get through the four years there, competition for residency will be cut throat and only 50% of graduates land a residency. The other 50% have a MD degree that they can't use to practice medicine. My other friend who went to AUC just finally got a residency after trying for 3 years by having to pre match outside the match.

So what I'm getting at is you need to be serious with your chances of success. If you have a 2.0 sGPA with no upward trend even with post bacs and an average MCAT, what's there that says you are going to turn it around in med or pod school where its WAAAYYY more stuff thrown at you in a less time. The whole point of SMP, masters, or post bacs is to prove you have changed your ways/study habits from undergrad and can succeed.

I'm sorry to say I don't think with what you're current resume stats that will be enough for an interview at a pod school. Carib I have a feeling will offer you interviews. But please keep in mind if you fail out the first semester like those 150 kids, you just flushed tens of thousands down the drain with nothing to show for it. Or even worse you graduate but you're at the bottom of you're class and can't get a residency and you're HUNDREDs of thousands in debt and nothing you can do with that MD degree. It's your money and your life to do as you please, but my advice for you is look outside medicine. Actually dental hygenists make pretty good money, I would suggest you look into that. Or you can prove us wrong, but you will def need to do that through some sort of masters program.

Reactions: 2 users
I got in contact with a few other schools this morning and.....

I'm going to to ahead and take my chances in August + 3 carriebbean Scholls as a safety! I don't think I'll do all 9.

P.s. the user from the past thread got a 33 on his mcat not a 40. & Even with his masters his GPAs were 2.5 and 2.4 cumlative.

I'll say the reps at the schools certainly didn't paint as bad a picture as you did.

Screwed up as a college kid but that was a few years ago. I wouldnt take out loans $200k & go waste my time drinking and skipping exams. I moved on from that life. Just 1 interview, 1 acceptance is all I need. Again, no troll. Just made bad choices n trying to fix them.

- @user that suggested dental hygiene - it's not just a money issue. Salary of a hygienist is more than enough for where I live. I'll be happier doing podiatry though

I'm going to to ahead and take my chances in August + 3 carriebbean Scholls as a safety! I don't think I'll do all 9.

P.s. the user from the past thread got a 33 on his mcat not a 40. & Even with his masters his GPAs were 2.5 and 2.4 cumlative.

I'll say the reps at the schools certainly didn't paint as bad a picture as you did.

Screwed up as a college kid but that was a few years ago. I wouldnt take out loans $200k & go waste my time drinking and skipping exams. I moved on from that life. Just 1 interview, 1 acceptance is all I need. Again, no troll. Just made bad choices n trying to fix them.

- @user that suggested dental hygiene - it's not just a money issue. Salary of a hygienist is more than enough for where I live. I'll be happier doing podiatry though

Well there is nothing wrong with going for it just to see what happens. You do what you feel good about and hope that it goes right for you. I hope you get in!!

Anyone who goes to medical school in the Carib will get what they deserve. There's a enough in these pages to warn off anyone who is rational.

The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

A little light reading:

https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/

http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/hurricane-warning-from-carribean-schools.1235887/

I don't know what to tell you man. Your money so I won't harp on it. If you think you have a shot, apply as soon as AACPMAS cycle opens August 3, 2017.

I just see a huge disconnect between your grades, your anecdotes for Carribean and its reality (do a quick search on SDN or contact @Goro , sorry for tagging you Goro), and your MCAT score which is very high relative to your GPA if that was your first attempt.

I have been reading your posts and would like to give you some advice.

Based on your numbers, I highly suggest you sit down and really see if you want to be in a medical career. I understand that you messed up in undergrad (I know I did). However, you stated that even with post-bacc classes, you did not create an upward trend. Are you really motivated enough to go against a rigorous program? Caribbean medical school won't be easy and podiatry is certainly difficult with the amount of coursework and studying you have to do.

As many have stated, your GPA is too low to be considered for podiatry and for the most part, caribbean medical schools. You will most likely receive auto-rejections from podiatry, since you are below the cut-off line for most schools.

Your MCAT score is nice for podiatry, but it's not even at the level of your friend who got a 33. Your 499 equates to roughly a 24. If you received a score of 525+ then it might be a different story.

Caribbean medical schools have a negative stigma and for good reason. Residency in the states is incredibly competitive and even students here cannot get into one. Of course, medical students who went to caribbean schools can get into a residency, but it is very rare. I would assume those who got in worked their (pardon my language) ass off to make sure they receive 4.0, obtain very high board scores, constantly learn medical techniques, terms, etc. Even if you get in, are you willing to work hard to stand out? I'm not assuming you won't, but based on your no upward trend, it doesn't seem likely. Also for the caribbean schools, I believe there's only 1 or 2 schools that actually produces some positive results. the other schools are not worth going to.

If you did get into caribbean school and you couldn't get into a residency, what would you do with all your debt? Have you considered the fact that you might not get into a residency? what would you do for another year before trying again? IMO, it would be a smart idea to do a masters program, show the schools you have the capacity and motivation to excel in courses with As, and apply to medical schools here.

It's also amusing that you consider caribbean schools as back up. With your stats, I would be nervous. Even caribbean schools are competitive, especially the good schools.

I wouldn't throw away the idea of nursing. With enough work, you can become a nurse anesthesiologist and they make really good money, if that's what you are looking for. Again, for this, you will need to work really hard.

Overall, this is the reality of your predicament. Your GPA is too low for podiatry and even for caribbean school. You might be able to get into one, but it won't be the school that is considered good. Your MCAT is fine for podiatry, but keep in mind, your score equates to a 24. it's subpar compared to your friend's 33. If you are willing to take a chance of caribbean school, then go for it. However, if you fail to obtain a residency, you will have a lot of debt under your name ( I would assume 250k+). You are willing to go in a medical career, but there is no proof that you are motivated to do so, and admissions will certainly see that with no upward trend. If I was in admissions, why would I pick you over someone who shows they can do better and really want to achieve a career in medicine? What makes you stand out over others?

IDK if you're college has it, but I got around not having 2 sci prof LOR by doing a committee letter through my undergrad's pre-health advising center. I think most schools take it as a substitute to the conventional LOR req. Even though my advising recommenced 2 sci prof letters, I submitted 1 non sci and 3 letters from an MD, DO, and pod and still got the committee interview and letter but this depends on how lenient you're advising office is. For what it's worth, only letter that adcom dean brought up during my interview was the pod LOR.
Thanks! Unfortunately I have no other professors to give me LORS (neither sci nor non-sci) and my school doesn't have the committee letter.

Members don't see this ad :)

Of course they didn't.

Its their job.

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting anything on SDN. I actually just made this account after seeing this thread. I wanted to get you guys opinion on my chances of getting into podiatry school this cycle. I am currently in a masters program (one of those programs that are meant for people trying to apply to health professional schools). My current gpa in the program is 3.80 (Fall semester grades only out so far). My undergraduate gpa is 3.65 overall, about 3.48 science. My old MCAT based on the old score was sort of abysmal (took it in 2014) and my new MCAT score that I took in January is 500. I have shadowed MD and DO physicians and I am going to start shadowing a podiatrist next week. I have about a hundred hours volunteering at a hospital and a little over fifty volunteering in a student group in college where we would distribute food and supplies to the homeless in my area. I did undergraduate research for two years, and got a presentation (no publication) out of it.

(Edit) I forgot to mention I would be applying to all of the schools but would hope to get in to DMU, Scholl, Barry, or Temple. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting anything on SDN. I actually just made this account after seeing this thread. I wanted to get you guys opinion on my chances of getting into podiatry school this cycle. I am currently in a masters program (one of those programs that are meant for people trying to apply to health professional schools). My current gpa in the program is 3.80 (Fall semester grades only out so far). My undergraduate gpa is 3.65 overall, about 3.48 science. My old MCAT based on the old score was sort of abysmal (took it in 2014) and my new MCAT score that I took in January is 500. I have shadowed MD and DO physicians and I am going to start shadowing a podiatrist next week. I have about a hundred hours volunteering at a hospital and a little over fifty volunteering in a student group in college where we would distribute food and supplies to the homeless in my area. I did undergraduate research for two years, and got a presentation (no publication) out of it.

(Edit) I forgot to mention I would be applying to all of the schools but would hope to get in to DMU, Scholl, Barry, or Temple. Thanks!

You're a shoe in.

Get the shadowing in and a rec letter.

Be read to answer why podiatry versus MD/DO

Hey guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Applying this cycle, and should have my application fully in within the next few days. Just wanted to hear if you guys think I sound like a decent candidate or not.
cGPA- 3.1, sGPA- 2.9, insane upward trend. Over 1000 hours of volunteering, over 100 hours of shadowing BUT have not shadowed a podiatrist yet. I am currently trying to find a few near me and see if they will let me come shadow.
I am currently pursuing a Master's in Biomedicine, which I will finish in August. My first semester GPA was 3.o. My MCAT was 485, then 492 on the most recent one I took.
Applying to everywhere except AZ, just seems like the stats are out of my reach.
Thanks!

Hey guys,
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Applying this cycle, and should have my application fully in within the next few days. Just wanted to hear if you guys think I sound like a decent candidate or not.
cGPA- 3.1, sGPA- 2.9, insane upward trend. Over 1000 hours of volunteering, over 100 hours of shadowing BUT have not shadowed a podiatrist yet. I am currently trying to find a few near me and see if they will let me come shadow.
I am currently pursuing a Master's in Biomedicine, which I will finish in August. My first semester GPA was 3.o. My MCAT was 485, then 492 on the most recent one I took.
Applying to everywhere except AZ, just seems like the stats are out of my reach.
Thanks!

Hey Bear,

Your stats are very similar to mine. I had an indentical sGPA and a little higher cGPA but no upward trend. I also did not have an SMP like you are going through. MCAT was also very similar 488-- 493-- 496.

I fully believe you will get interview invites pending the strength of your personal statement/resume. Even AZpod offered an interview with these stats.

Some advice:

-Apply as early as the cycle opens first week of August. Getting everything in early gives you a huge advantage.
-Find a podiatrist to shadow asap- some areas are very scarce and some areas may have DPMs who won't let you get meaningful shadowing experiences in. Better to look into it early so you can plan for any bumps.

Hey everyone,
I applied for this cycle recently but I'm not sure about my chances. My stats are:
GPA: 3.3c/3.2s
MCAT: 507 (126/127/126/128)
Volunteer: 400 clinical, 1500 research, 20 shadowing and 300 other healthcare
I'm worried that I'm too late in the cycle to have a shot. My verification started on 2/26 and they said it could take 4 weeks to process. Does it usually take this long, and would it be too late by then?
Thanks

Hey everyone,
I applied for this cycle recently but I'm not sure about my chances. My stats are:
I'm worried that I'm too late in the cycle to have a shot. My verification started on 2/26 and they said it could take 4 weeks to process. Does it usually take this long, and would it be too late by then?
Thanks

Our stats are nearly identical, haha. I got interviews and acceptances, so should you. I don't think you're too late at all.

Our stats are nearly identical, haha. I got interviews and acceptances, so should you. I don't think you're too late at all.
I just talked to AZPOD and last time I talked to them they said there were 15 seats left, but now they said there are 20 seats left. So either way they have some spots. I think you have a good shot of getting in.

I just talked to AZPOD and last time I talked to them they said there were 15 seats left, but now they said there are 20 seats left. So either way they have some spots. I think you have a good shot of getting in.
Is it any concern that AZPOD has 20 seats out of 30 still open this late in the cycle?

Is it any concern that AZPOD has 20 seats out of 30 still open this late in the cycle?
Well the way I see it is they are actually much more picky than the other schools. They still had 30 interviews scheduled so its still open. Their stats are really good for their podiatry students, so I see no issue with it.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say that you're going to get in (I mean IN, not just interviews) to all of the schools you apply to. You're MCAT is too good for them to pass up on, and you're GPA is decent enough. The only reservations I would have this late in the cycle is with AZPOD since someone mentioned they only have 15 seats available at this point, and have 25 candidates scheduled for interviews. But other than that, you're gucci. ;)
Thanks man, appreciate the feedback! Azpod is pretty low on my preference list so hopefully everything works out

Congrats! My advisor and everyone I talk to keeps telling me that I need to submit my application "yesterday" so it really freaked me out haha

Okay guys, so I messed up on the MCAT and only got a 496 and wanted to get your input if I were to apply.

I graduated last year with a med lab science degree and my cGPA=3.52 and sGPA=3.41. I currently work full time in a hospital in the biochemistry, hematology, and microbiology depts.

ECs include ED liaison, PT aide, mentoring/tutoring underserved K-12 in public schools with other community volunteer work (~800 hours in total). I also have my EMT-B certification but haven't used it too much.

What are your thoughts??

Okay guys, so I messed up on the MCAT and only got a 496 and wanted to get your input if I were to apply.

I graduated last year with a med lab science degree and my cGPA=3.52 and sGPA=3.41. I currently work full time in a hospital in the biochemistry, hematology, and microbiology depts.

ECs include ED liaison, PT aide, mentoring/tutoring underserved K-12 in public schools with other community volunteer work (~800 hours in total). I also have my EMT-B certification but haven't used it too much.

What are your thoughts??
Will you be applying in August? If so you'll be totally fine. I know certain programs don't accept MCAT scores after a certain month to start that fall. Unless your top choice is a big program I think waiting until August would be fine! You'll have your choosing of schools!
And if you do apply in August you could always retake the MCAT this summer. If you do well enough I have no doubt you'll get scholarship money for next fall!

So I have an update for the AZpod. I called the school 1 more time just to make sure of a few things. They currently have 19 seats filled and 8 people due for interviews. Has anyone heard anything about the average MCAT and GPA being accepted this year? I know they don't publish it, but has anyone heard something when visiting the school?

Will you be applying in August? If so you'll be totally fine. I know certain programs don't accept MCAT scores after a certain month to start that fall. Unless your top choice is a big program I think waiting until August would be fine! You'll have your choosing of schools!
And if you do apply in August you could always retake the MCAT this summer. If you do well enough I have no doubt you'll get scholarship money for next fall!
Ya I planned on waiting until the next cycle. I don't feel like rushing right now and would also rather save money for another year.

Do you think retaking the MCAT is completely necessary or is it good enough? How would my chances be for any of the schools? I don't live near any so I would have to relocate anyways.

Ya I planned on waiting until the next cycle. I don't feel like rushing right now and would also rather save money for another year.

Do you think retaking the MCAT is completely necessary or is it good enough? How would my chances be for any of the schools? I don't live near any so I would have to relocate anyways.

My highest score was a 496.

Got interview invites to all places applied (Kent, AZpod, CSPM, Barry, Western, Scholl).

If you want to shoot for a 500 for scholarships go for it. Specially if you're already taking a gap year. Money goes a long way.

I think that the MCAT is competitive with some schools. I would look through this and look at average MCATs for the different schools. http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf

it may be different next year though

My highest score was a 496.

Got interview invites to all places applied (Kent, AZpod, CSPM, Barry, Western, Scholl).

If you want to shoot for a 500 for scholarships go for it. Specially if you're already taking a gap year. Money goes a long way.
Thanks guys! I might give it another shot over the summer not sure yet. Do you know what is needed for scholarship money? I'm going to assume a 500+

I definitely, definitely think with your GPA and volunteering/working background that you're absolutely a shoe-in. Your MCAT is totally fine to be accepted as well, but in terms of scholarships I think having above 500 would get you more money. I know it's a lot to have to take the MCAT again but just something to consider! I think you'll be great come August :) keep up the great work!

Last edited:
I definitely, definitely think with your GPA and volunteering/working background that you're absolutely a shoe-in. Your MCAT is totally fine to be accepted as well, but in terms of scholarships I think having above 500 would get you more money. I know it's a lot to have to take the MCAT again but just something to consider! I think you'll be great come August :) keep up the great work!
Depends per school. I don't have the exact numbers but its usually a combination of your MCAT + GPA
Thanks for the help!

Just out of curiosity, but have either of you been accepted to a school?

Thanks for the help!

Just out of curiosity, but have either of you been accepted to a school?
Yes I have! Will be starting in August! My stats were not as strong as yours and I got in so you should have no problem. Looking forward to hearing where you go next year!

Thanks guys! I might give it another shot over the summer not sure yet. Do you know what is needed for scholarship money? I'm going to assume a 500+

My stats were pretty similar to yours. Your GPA's are a tad better but I got into DMU (also Scholl and Kent) with a good scholarship there. And your EC's look good. I also applied pretty early in august of last year so I think if you did too you will get some decent scholarship money somewhere. I also was told I had a really good interview too so I think that helped. If you think you can do better than 496 and get 500+ then it's definitely worth it to get an extra few thousand in scholarship money, but I think with your stats now you will get offered at least some scholarship money at most places.

I appreciate all of the feedback guys its been really helpful! Just have to weigh out the pros and cons of another MCAT lol, if I do retake I'll try not to work full time doing it

Hi first time posting,

All 9 (Azpod and DMU are top choices)
2. cGPA: 3.67 sGPA: 3.49
3. Taking MCAT in April, official full length 1 was 502.
4. Only shadowed one podiatrist, currently looking to get more experience before I apply.
5. 70 hours DO/MD shadowing (a pod consult was how I initially became interested), 1200 hours research, 100 hours in the ER as a volunteer.
6. 300 hours with various organizations, pre-health honor society, college honor society, head of recruitment for fraternity.

Will be applying day 1. Chance me for acceptances/scholarship and advice for improving my app? Thanks.

Hi first time posting,

4. Only shadowed one podiatrist, currently looking to get more experience before I apply.
5. 70 hours DO/MD shadowing (a pod consult was how I initially became interested), 1200 hours research, 100 hours in the ER as a volunteer.
6. 300 hours with various organizations, pre-health honor society, college honor society, head of recruitment for fraternity.

Will be applying day 1. Chance me for acceptances/scholarship and advice for improving my app? Thanks.
Looks good to me! If you do as well on the MCAT as your practice exam you should have no problem at all getting in!

Hi first time posting,

You're fine.

Focus on MCAT. Be ready to explain why podiatry.

How many questions did everyone get for their interviews?
I've never counted, but I want to say I got 6-10 at the interviews I attended. The interviews usually last 20-30 minutes.

Hey everyone,
Thanks

Update: Interview invites!
Submitted: 2/26
Verified: 3/2
Invited: 3/2 Kent State, NYCPM, Western, Temple

Still waiting for CSPM, AZPOD, and Barry. Scholl said they'll wait until my letters finish sending in.

Hey guys, I am wondering what my chances are for this cycle. Personally, I would highly prefer not taking a gap year however; I am worried it is not worth applying based on my stats and/or timing. Wondering what outsiders think. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

sGPA: 3.43 cGPA: 3.46
MCAT: 484 (Aug. 2016), 489 (Jan. 2017)
EC's: podiatry internship, research internship last summer, EMT-b and member of a fire dept. for 3 years, NCAA Division II 4 year athlete, 3 awards (all academic), 50 hours of shadowing a pod. , strong letters of rec.

Hey guys, I am wondering what my chances are for this cycle. Personally, I would highly prefer not taking a gap year however; I am worried it is not worth applying based on my stats and/or timing. Wondering what outsiders think. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

EC's: podiatry internship, research internship last summer, EMT-b and member of a fire dept. for 3 years, NCAA Division II 4 year athlete, 3 awards (all academic), 50 hours of shadowing a pod. , strong letters of rec.
Based on what I have seen from others, your stats are probably better suited to start the next cycle if you're looking for a decent chance, just my 2 cents though.

Your GPA is good, ECs are great but that mcat is well below the current acceptance stat.

If I were you, I would apply for this cycle while indicating a future mcat retake date on your app. This way if you do not hear back from the schools this cycle, you would be ready and early for next year cycle. Of course, the mcat needs to be improved though. A 495+ will give you better shot and above 500, you are looking at some scholarships.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any chance of mcat retake? Just a couple more points, 493 would net you invites.