Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is a good tool to see if people are following you/ paying attention. pop quizzes, quick surveys etc. Its not to terrible and makes the class a little more interactive compared to just passive note taking.

Cool. I try to be open minded, so I'm interested to see how it changes the class dynamic.

I'm also kind of annoyed that she will not allow note taking on electronics.

Members don't see this ad.

Cool. I try to be open minded, so I'm interested to see how it changes the class dynamic.

I'm also kind of annoyed that she will not allow note taking on electronics.
It wont change the class dynamic a whole lot. Since it takes too much time to get everyone to answer questions. you will probably have 1-5 places where you might use it per class. Might help you keep focused. When grades are attached to it it forces you to stay on your tippy toes. But more often then not its just for the sake of being a little interactive. Like calling on individual students to answer questions in smaller settings.

Members don't see this ad :)
@JoaoMoutinho @libertyyne @Cigar @freak7 @Matthew9Thirtyfive gif bump!

1503156132-20170819%20(1).png

Reactions: 2 users
tumblr_mmm9mbNe381rw9dz1o1_500.gif

Although apparently the creators of the format say it is pronounced jif, as they named it after the peanut butter brand. So I guess that's technically correct.
Once out in the public domain, the public owns the pronunciation.

Reactions: 1 user
Rookie mistake. My wife is from Santa Fe, so when we went we were prepared.
Fortunately, I was smart enough to pack warmer clothes in case we ended up camping out at a higher altitude (which we did). I had just expected it to be a lot warmer even before we went up high. We were fortunate that pretty much all of the rain happened to come down either right after we set up camp or in the middle of the night instead of while we were actually hiking around. That way most of our stuff managed to stay pretty dry.

Any of you guys use an i-clicker in any of your classes?
I used them all the time in undergrad, at least in my bigger classes and GEs.

EDIT: Now that I've read the rest of the conversation, I'll agree with pretty much what everyone said. They were annoying when professors used them as a way to take attendance, but I had a few professors who managed to use them pretty effectively to make the class more interactive. I liked them best when most of the points came from just answering the questions, but the professors could use them to gauge quickly how well the class understood whatever had just been taught. That way, they were able to adjust their pace and focus without having to guess whether we actually had any idea what they were talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fortunately, I was smart enough to pack warmer clothes in case we ended up camping out at a higher altitude (which we did). I had just expected it to be a lot warmer even before we went up high. We were fortunate that pretty much all of the rain happened to come down either right after we set up camp or in the middle of the night instead of while we were actually hiking around. That way most of our stuff managed to stay pretty dry.

The temperature drops 3.3F for every thousand feet, so it gets cold quickly. Especially in Santa Fe (~7000 feet).

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:
Found out today that I got accepted as a volunteer to a hospice I live right next to. I'm very excited - I volunteered at a ER last semester and really didn't enjoy it because I felt absolutely useless and didn't even feel like I was really helping patients. The volunteer coordinator is also absolutely amazing - she clearly loves her job and really enjoys having premed students as volunteers since her daughter is a vascular surgeon.

Reactions: 3 users
Found out today that I got accepted as a volunteer to a hospice I live right next to. I'm very excited - I volunteered at a ER last semester and really didn't enjoy it because I felt absolutely useless and didn't even feel like I was really helping patients. The volunteer coordinator is also absolutely amazing - she clearly loves her job and really enjoys having premed students as volunteers since her daughter is a vascular surgeon.
O_O
Are you me? I literally just had volunteer orientation at a hospice near my college, I can start in September.
Although one doesn't really get "accepted" as a volunteer XD
I volunteer in the Emergency Department ( the hospital I volunteer at has a " department" with beds, not rooms). I love it here, talking to patients, passing out food, cleaning, and stocking closets.
What I hated was my brief spat in the ICU. There was nothing for me to do, so I sat on my phone in the corner and the charge nurse tattled on me, to the volunteer coordinator, because I wasn't doing anything. Well no ****. Maybe if you gave me something to do, instead of making me feel like I'm in everyone's way.

Although, at the hospice I will volunteer at, we're not allowed to have phones in the patient areas,b/c of an incident two years ago... ( You can PM me if you are curious).

O_O
Are you me? I literally just had volunteer orientation at a hospice near my college, I can start in September.
Although one doesn't really get "accepted" as a volunteer XD
I volunteer in the Emergency Department ( the hospital I volunteer at has a " department" with beds, not rooms). I love it here, talking to patients, passing out food, cleaning, and stocking closets.
What I hated was my brief spat in the ICU. There was nothing for me to do, so I sat on my phone in the corner and the charge nurse tattled on me, to the volunteer coordinator, because I wasn't doing anything. Well no ****. Maybe if you gave me something to do, instead of making me feel like I'm in everyone's way.

Although, at the hospice I will volunteer at, we're not allowed to have phones in the patient areas,b/c of an incident two years ago... ( You can PM me if you are curious).

Normally I'd agree about the accepted thing, but this hospice often has a waitlist for volunteering since it's a small place and demand is high. So in a way I was accepted since there are more people who wanted to volunteer than there is space for the training.

How you felt in the ICU is how I felt in this ER.

You guys O_O
I just got an email, saying " Thank you for expressing interest in volunteering at Wuestoff health center" , and that all people who want to volunteer need to attend an orientation and must commit to a minimum of 4 hours a week, and 50 hours total.
I google this place and it's a hospice/palliative care center, well, centers, all of them are in Florida. I live in MA.
Like Wut O_O How in the hell did these guys get my email address?
I've been volunteering at a hospital since February, and just oriented at a hospice I'm about to volunteer at, but did they give my email to these people? I'm a bit spooked, because I never give my email for no reason and IDK...the fact that I'm searching for volunteer ops and this email came is a bit.....uncanny
This ever happen to any of you guys?

I forget if I mentioned this but I am building a dining room table. I was ready to make some of the cuts with my Bosch 7-1/4 circular saw, but when I pulled the trigger it just spun the motor and seized up. Well, I took it back and replaced it, and this one worked great.

I got the short edges trimmed flush and the breadboard ends on. Just need to cut the braces and attach them, and the top will be done.

I forget if I mentioned this but I am building a dining room table. I was ready to make some of the cuts with my Bosch 7-1/4 circular saw, but when I pulled the trigger it just spun the motor and seized up. Well, I took it back and replaced it, and this one worked great.

I got the short edges trimmed flush and the breadboard ends on. Just need to cut the braces and attach them, and the top will be done.

Here's a pic of the underside of the table top with the breadboard ends on.

NYtV4AZ.jpg

And here's my ghetto cutting setup.

EZyynLt.jpg

Hey, is Phi Beta Kappa worth it? The money isn't a big deal, but honor societies always seemed like a big scam.

Hey, is Phi Beta Kappa worth it? The money isn't a big deal, but honor societies always seemed like a big scam.

Honor societies are generally a scam. I would find something more meaningful to do with your time and money

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Honor societies are generally a scam. I would find something more meaningful to do with your time and money

Oh, I have. This one apparently has some legitimacy to it though and being a senior, I'm trying to pick up as many awards and honors as possible before I leave college for my gap year.

Oh, I have. This one apparently has some legitimacy to it though and being a senior, I'm trying to pick up as many awards and honors as possible before I leave college for my gap year.

Don't bother. No one cares except maybe your parents.

I don't think this is an award that matters, as medical schools already know your grades and GPA. Honor societies that base their inclusion criteria on these same things don't add to your application

I guess I don't relate to the excitement of watching guys give each other TBIs

I don't watch it either. I only support one pro boxer, and that's cause he's my friend. I always pray for him, but thank God he's really good. He's like 28-0.

I don't watch football and boxing nearly as much as I used to due to tbi. I honestly hope both participants from last night's event retire (for real) from professional fighting.

So ummm, when do I get to sleep again?