Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@freak71) yes I'm Mexican so the edit was unnecessary
2) I was actually really skinny and could eat anything without gaining weight. I wish I could say the same now though... :(
@freak7 Is this you? Are you a 2009 internet star??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Matthew9Thirtyfive so how does the medicine program work for you? When do you end up going to school? Do you still end up having to take the MCAT and such?

I start school in August. I still have to take the MCAT. I have a conditional acceptance to USUHS that is contingent on me maintaining a 3.2 this year and getting a 500. As long as I do that, I'll be in at USUHS. I can apply to civilian schools if I want, but I'm planning on going to USUHS.

Are you going to keep the hat until Christmas?
I'm waiting on the solvent for the glue that has it stuck to my head. If Santa brings it sooner than the FedEx guy, then so be it.

@freak7 When is the expected delivery date for freak8? Do you have a plan in place on how you are going to study.
freak8 is due the day before orientation...

As depressing as it is, I think I don't have a choice but to defer. The more people I talk it over with, the more I'm beginning to accept it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting on the solvent for the glue that has it stuck to my head. If Santa brings it sooner than the FedEx guy, then so be it.

As depressing as it is, I think I don't have a choice but to defer. The more people I talk it over with, the more I'm beginning to accept it.
Oh man, the first few months are hell.

You can do it. It will suck, but only for the first 3 months. I was finishing my bachelors while working 90 hours a week when I had both my kids. It was definitely hard, but if I hadn't been working so much, I definitely would have had plenty of time to study.

You can do it. It will suck, but only for the first 3 months. I was finishing my bachelors while working 90 hours a week when I had both my kids. It was definitely hard, but if I hadn't been working so much, I definitely would have had plenty of time to study.
That's not really the issue. If I had gotten into an in-state school (or even a school on the same coast), it would've been way more doable. However there's no way for the logistics to work out and still guarantee that I'm there for the birth.

To clarify, my wife can't travel at the moment and she has to stay at her job for another 10 months from now so we'd be separated, down an income, and still have to pay for childcare. We'd need to sell our home in record time, complete 2 different moves (one of which cross-country), and somehow magically have little miss freak8 pop out exactly on schedule or early, but not too early.

I start school in August. I still have to take the MCAT. I have a conditional acceptance to USUHS that is contingent on me maintaining a 3.2 this year and getting a 500. As long as I do that, I'll be in at USUHS. I can apply to civilian schools if I want, but I'm planning on going to USUHS.
This August? And you just need a 500? That sounds like a good deal.

That's not really the issue. If I had gotten into an in-state school (or even a school on the same coast), it would've been way more doable. However there's no way for the logistics to work out and still guarantee that I'm there for the birth.
Good training for the life of a surgeon. I find the old adage that there is no good time to have children to be mostly true. As long as you have a supportive spouse it should be doable. Are there decelerated options ?

To clarify, my wife can't travel at the moment and she has to stay at her job for another 10 months from now so we'd be separated, down an income, and still have to pay for childcare. We'd need to sell our home in record time, complete 2 different moves (one of which cross-country), and somehow magically have little miss freak8 pop out exactly on schedule or early, but not too early.

Why wouldn't you be able to be there for the birth? We got people off ship and flown hundreds and thousands of miles to be there in time. How far away will you be?

Also, was your wife early or late? It's anecdotal but most of the women I know followed a similar pattern to their mothers. My wife's OB mentioned it as well. Obviously, that's not scientific or guaranteed, but it helped us a little.

Why wouldn't you be able to be there for the birth? We got people off ship and flown hundreds and thousands of miles to be there in time. How far away will you be?

Also, was your wife early or late? It's anecdotal but most of the women I know followed a similar pattern to their mothers. My wife's OB mentioned it as well. Obviously, that's not scientific or guaranteed, but it helped us a little.
~3k miles or ~7+ hours by plane assuming the plane would leave the second I got to the airport, got a non-stop and no delays. She was late.

~3k miles or ~7+ hours by plane assuming the plane would leave the second I got to the airport, got a non-stop and no delays. She was late.

Well then she'll probably deliver late too. Obviously don't count on that, but I bet it happens.

We got a guy to San Diego from Japan in time for the birth. Most first deliveries take a while.

Personally, I would just see if you can make it work. Even if it takes a lot of effort, it'll be worth it.

Edit: I'm only advocating trying to make it work because you worked so hard to get in, and I'd hate to see you have to wait another year if you don't have to.

Well then she'll probably deliver late too. Obviously don't count on that, but I bet it happens.

We got a guy to San Diego from Japan in time for the birth. Most first deliveries take a while.

Personally, I would just see if you can make it work. Even if it takes a lot of effort, it'll be worth it.

Edit: I'm only advocating trying to make it work because you worked so hard to get in, and I'd hate to see you have to wait another year if you don't have to.
Like I said, there are a lot of factors at play aside from just the birth.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said, there are a lot of factors at play aside from just the birth.

Yeah. Seems complicated. Praying it works out for you, deferral or not. If you absolutely have to, it's only a year.

Edit: if you want to talk about coordinating PITA logistics, feel free to PM. I had to coordinate coming off a deployment, moving from CA to Hawaii, then moving my toddler and extremely pregnant wife to Hawaii in time to deliver there so I wouldn't miss it. It was a huge pain, but all the effort was worth it. Seeing your kid born is so cool.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive @freak7 @libertyyne @JoaoMoutinho bump!

1497398483-soonish8%20(1).png

Reactions: 2 users
@Matthew9Thirtyfive

very similar verse!

Matthew 4:23

There are quite a few verses like that. I chose Matt. 9:35 because chapter 9 has a number of instances of Jesus healing people of different illnesses, and because it just jumped out at me.

My second Principles of Cell test is today! ( It's a summer class)
I already didn't do very well on the first one....I'm hoping I do better on this one!!!!
:angelic: I studied much harder/different technique so results should be different this time! ( Got a 77 on the first one..yikes)

My second Principles of Cell test is today! ( It's a summer class)
I already didn't do very well on the first one....I'm hoping I do better on this one!!!!
:angelic: I studied much harder/different technique so results should be different this time! ( Got a 77 on the first one..yikes)
Good luck! I am actually taking a full summer load myself. It's the last couple of GEs that I need to graduate, so the motivational struggle is real....

Good luck! I am actually taking a full summer load myself. It's the last couple of GEs that I need to graduate, so the motivational struggle is real....
I think I aced it but I still feel nervous for some reason....we're gonna get it back to look Monday....
Idk about you guys but once I mess up the first test I get nervous AF. Like, I studied for this one much harder/ in a totally different way/ feel much better about it than I did last time but I'm still nervous that I didn't improve. Does anybody have this? Like, this odd nueorosis about improving on exams?

You guys!!! I got a 99 on the test!!!!!
A 99!!!!!!!!
Despite getting a C+ on the last test, I can still get a solid A so long as I ace the third test and then have good quiz scores, and attendance/participation.

Reactions: 5 users
I'll probably post something on the military forum as well, but I figured it would get more views here. Anyway, as you may know, a couple days ago, the USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) was struck by a Phillipines-flagged container ship 56nm off the coast of Yokosuka, Japan where she is homeported. In the collision, 7 Sailors were killed, but dozens of them lost everything: laptops, phones, wallets, clothes, shoes. Many of them don't even have toothbrushes because they have no money to get a toothbrush.

The Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society is the primary source for monetary donations right now, but the ship itself is welcoming boxes from anyone willing to send them a few toothbrushes or a pair of shoes or even some underwear.

My wife and I are getting together a box of stuff to send them. If anyone is interested in sending me some stuff or sending your own box, send me a PM, and I will forward you the information and address.

I want to also give a specific mention to FC1 Gary Rehm, who sacrificed his life trying to save as many Sailors as he could. Because of his efforts, more than 20 Sailors are alive today. He lost his life trying to save the last 6 when the flooding became too great, and the hatch had to be closed with them still inside the space. We all love superhero movies, but FC1 is a real hero. That's the caliber of Sailor on that ship, and they need help and even just prayers and a mention on Facebook so that maybe someone else could see it and feel compelled to help.

Just send me a pm if you want to help in any way. Thanks!

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Obligatory disclaimer: I am not soliciting monetary donations, nor am I asking anyone to send me money. It's literally toothbrushes and stuff, and I will just give you the address to send it yourself.

Reactions: 4 users
So, I was chillin on Reddit, as you do, and fell into a time warp, as you do, where I read/watched up on Milton Friedman. He argued we should do away with medical licenses. I won't go into why, but
we're not lookin like the good guys. Anyone know about this topic or have opinions?

So, I was chillin on Reddit, as you do, and fell into a time warp, as you do, where I read/watched up on Milton Friedman. He argued we should do away with medical licenses. I won't go into why, but
we're not lookin like the good guys. Anyone know about this topic or have opinions?

The guy's motivation was to abolish the "monopoly" of the AMA. If a physician has a medical degree and has completed a residency, why do they need to go through the process of obtaining a license?

I can see the point there, but I also see why we would want licenses. Earning your degree is not a guarantee that you will continue practicing medicine in an ethical or appropriate way. Andrew Wakefield has a medical degree and was a pretty well respected surgeon and researcher before he went off the deep end. Without a license to revoke, the public couldn't be protected from those kinds of charlatans.

The guy's motivation was to abolish the "monopoly" of the AMA. If a physician has a medical degree and has completed a residency, why do they need to go through the process of obtaining a license?

I can see the point there, but I also see why we would want licenses. Earning your degree is not a guarantee that you will continue practicing medicine in an ethical or appropriate way. Andrew Wakefield has a medical degree and was a pretty well respected surgeon and researcher before he went off the deep end. Without a license to revoke, the public couldn't be protected from those kinds of charlatans.

Would the public not spread the word of a charlatan? That would be serious felony. Not just patients but also competing/collaborating doctors of "that new doc" would want to check his validity (by contacting his supposed university, residency, etc). No one checks credentials now, but without medical licenses, wouldn't people? Sure licenses may be an easier way to prevent phonies, but is the risk/reward worth it considering the detriments of licenses that Friedman brought up?

Would the public not spread the word of a charlatan? That would be serious felony. Not just patients but also competing/collaborating doctors of "that new doc" would want to check his validity (by contacting his supposed university, residency, etc). No one checks credentials now, but without medical licenses, wouldn't people? Sure licenses may be an easier way to prevent phonies, but is the risk/reward worth it considering the detriments of licenses that Friedman brought up?

The public has spread the word about Andrew Wakefield, and yet tons and tons of people still think he is brilliant and is being persecuted by the scientific and medical community. If he could still practice, he would, and he would be causing the deaths of even more children.

The public has spread the word about Andrew Wakefield, and yet tons and tons of people still think he is brilliant and is being persecuted by the scientific and medical community. If he could still practice, he would, and he would be causing the deaths of even more children.

Interesting. Thanks Matthew935. I'll have to look into Wakefield and more into this topic. My immediate thought is if there were no medical licenses, couldn't they have just as easily shut him down through law?

Interesting. Thanks Matthew935. I'll have to look into Wakefield and more into this topic. My immediate thought is if there were no medical licenses, couldn't they have just as easily shut him down through law?
This is absurd. Do you know what the infection rate is for certain physicians or he complication rate ? Or the rate of over utilization? No body tracks that information closely. This information is not easily accessible or digestible for the average person. People still go to chiropractioners and homeopathic charlatans. Licensure is a necessary evil for baseline competency determination. Any jack ass can hang a shingle and then skip town once he going gets though. As much as ayn rand followers hate it, it is necessary for modern functioning societies. Somalia doesn't look like a very nice place to live even though it is exactly without licensure and other "government meddling".

Reactions: 2 users