Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another shot at life! Just got my 5th and likely final interview. No acceptances from the previous 4. 1 WL and still waiting on decisions from 3. Terrified of reapplying

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Another shot at life! Just got my 5th and likely final interview. No acceptances from the previous 4. 1 WL and still waiting on decisions from 3. Terrified of reapplying
Can you try a mock interview before it?

Reactions: 1 users
Can you try a mock interview before it?

Haven't considered although that could be a good idea. I'm not sure it's my interview skills even though the interview where I was waitlisted was the definition of meh. Wasn't my fault though, my interviewer seemed under duress, would hardy make eye contact, and did so much nervous talking about the program that I barely got a word in.

I thought the next 3 went really well although I guess I won't know until they finally make a decision!

Started with 31 US MD apps, 21 rejections later, I have 8 silence and 2 pre-II holds. Yep, going to be a re-applicant unless I get a miracle.

Just got my first II last week and then a second II on Sunday! Don't lose hope, anything is possible!

Reactions: 21 users
Just got my first II last week and then a second II on Sunday! Don't lose hope, anything is possible!

I want to be you...

well, in your shoes. I don't physically want to be you.

Congrats!!!

Reactions: 2 users
So proud to say that I have finally been accepted to medical school! Thank you all so much for the support this thread lended and for sharing in this experience with me. I wish you all the best, and please know there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Reactions: 17 users
Third waitlist today with no more interview invites or decisions pending :(

Sending everyone the best vibes for this week and all the next ones!! we got this :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my third waitlist (at least its a high priority waitlist?) and still waiting on 3 more decisions.

THIS IS SUCH A STRUGGLE AUGH

Reactions: 4 users
Last interview tomorrow! One other waitlist and one other decision pending...please let this end soooooon

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's taken a long time and plenty of stress for me to accept that I might be a reapplicant. I'm trying to stay positive: I've learned a lot about the process and believe I can improve a lot for next cycle. 1 waitlist 1 pending, but both schools have a ton of waitlist movement historically, so I'm not giving up hope yet!

Reactions: 13 users
I think I'm finally at the acceptance stage of grief. All I can do is hope that my 3 waitlists yield fruit. Though for the most part, its out of my hands. Best of luck to those also still waiting.

Reactions: 12 users

Crush that last interview. I was on 4 waitlists until the end of May, and ended up getting into my top two schools in the same week. Being realistic, I think you're gonna end up w an acceptance. The odds may actually be in your favor (though I know it doesn't feel like it, and each day feels worse).

So...I am already planning my reapplicant process. I am going to retake the MCAT and apply in July. I am settling this in my mind.

Last edited:
I have no fight left in me anymore. I'm still holding out on one state school that will be extending II until the end of April, but if that school rejects me, it will be game over for this cycle.

I'm on my 6th waitlist
I know many people say that it sounds like good odds but it worries me that most schools have waitlists longer than the number of people they accept.
I know this is indicative that I'm not the strongest interviewee
I'm starting to wonder if there's much hope for someone like me

So...I am already planning my reapplicant process. I am going to retake the MCAT and apply in July. I am settling this in my mind. :(:arghh:

Don't be a reapplicant in July, especially if this is when you will submit your primary. You wouldn't be complete at many schools until August the earliest, September at most. This is not to your advantage. Do everything you can to submit your application as early as possible and give yourself any leg up.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't be a reapplicant in July, especially if this is when you will submit your primary. You wouldn't be complete at many schools until August the earliest, September at most. This is not to your advantage. Do everything you can to submit your application as early as possible and give yourself any leg up.

I am applying in July because my MCAT date is in June. I am applying ED for a certain school. I've discussed it with the dean of admissions. I may change my mind and move up my MCAT though.

Sent from my iPhone

I am applying in July because my MCAT date is in June. I am applying ED for a certain school. I've discussed it with the dean of admissions. I may change my mind and move up my MCAT though.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm not one to judge, but if you don't get into this school your application will be dead in the water.

Remember, even if the Dean is giving a good word on your behalf, the admissions committee is under no obligation to admit you - unless a wing of their hospital is named after you.

I'm not one to judge, but if you don't get into this school your application will be dead in the water.

Remember, even if the Dean is giving a good word on your behalf, the admissions committee is under no obligation to admit you - unless a wing of their hospital is named after you.

Yea, I know. I am sick of this process anyway.
I haven't fully decided on ED and might just apply in June.

Sent from my iPhone

guys
my heart can't take it anymore

Reactions: 10 users
I've started to think about next steps for reapplying even though I'm still in denial. How are you guys going to be strengthening your application? Mostly in terms of new activities considering it is nearly April and the next cycle opens in May/June. Also in looking for new positions, broaching the topic of potentially staying for only a couple months should we be accepted off the waitlist. Interested to hear what the plans are for other reapplicants

This might sound crass, but I would not recommend mentioning to a potential employer that you may only be there for a few months. Trust me, you will not get hired. Why would they waste time on you? It's just the way the world works, unfortunately. All employment is at-will so anyone could leave at anytime, so I would not feel bad if you end up having to do this.

I'm in the same boat currently, starting to apply for positions. I totally understand, its kind of uncomfortable to apply and feel like you are "hiding" something.

Not crass, noted and appreciated. What kinds of positions are you applying for if you don't mind my asking

A mix, some research jobs and some corporate jobs. I got a lot of clinical work experience this year (for next to no money haha) so I am probably going to take whatever will pay me the most next year and continue to volunteer in healthcare on the weekends. How about you?

I've started to think about next steps for reapplying even though I'm still in denial. How are you guys going to be strengthening your application? Mostly in terms of new activities considering it is nearly April and the next cycle opens in May/June. Also in looking for new positions, broaching the topic of potentially staying for only a couple months should we be accepted off the waitlist. Interested to hear what the plans are for other reapplicants
My LizzyM (in my sig) is really bad; the only thing I can really do to "redeem" myself academically is to retake my MCAT. I got a 510 the first time, so I'm aiming for a 515 next month. I've also set up some more shadowing for next month as well, and I'm continuing to work and volunteer. I will also submit on day one this time around and throw in some DO schools too

Lol, I was just thinking back to the first few weeks after my interview when I was so happy that despite poor performance at the beginning of my undergrad career, someone thought that I could still be a doctor. I remember waking up every morning thinking that in a few weeks I would get to post my acceptance letter on social media.....Now I'm wondering if I should just change career paths because it would be easier, while my self-esteem hangs in the balance :)

/end rant

Lol, I was just thinking back to the first few weeks after my interview when I was so happy that despite poor performance at the beginning of my undergrad career, someone thought that I could still be a doctor. I remember waking up every morning thinking that in a few weeks I would get to post my acceptance letter on social media.....Now I'm wondering if I should just change career paths because it would be easier, while my self-esteem hangs in the balance :)

/end rant
:( I definitely starting to feel that way not that all my IRL friends have received acceptances.
Not sure yet. Looking for ideas but a paid position would certainly be nice after unpaid volunteering in my gap years
Would definitely recommend a paid position. It does add motivation when the job gets rough.

Lol 4 out of 4 waitlists. At this point I don't even know if I want to think about getting off these lists

Lol 4 out of 4 waitlists. At this point I don't even know if I want to think about getting off these lists

multiple waitlist five? *insert high five soundfx* seriously though, its going to be a long couple months. wonder when I should start prepping written material for the next cycle...

multiple waitlist five? *insert high five soundfx* seriously though, its going to be a long couple months. wonder when I should start prepping written material for the next cycle...

I found out today that I got accepted from the waitlist at the only school that interviewed me!!! It hasn't sunk in yet. But it's definitely possible to get off the waitlist! And the more waitlists you're on, the better your chances!

I know it is a grueling process, and my heart goes out to all of you still waiting! I'm rooting for y'all! Please keep us updated as you have more news (good or sad). I'll keep watching this thread!

Reactions: 23 users
I found out today that I got accepted from the waitlist at the only school that interviewed me!!! It hasn't sunk in yet. But it's definitely possible to get off the waitlist! And the more waitlists you're on, the better your chances!

I know it is a grueling process, and my heart goes out to all of you still waiting! I'm rooting for y'all! Please keep us updated as you have more news (good or sad). I'll keep watching this thread!
Congratulations! I definitely will. It's good news like this which keeps me hopeful.

Another waitlist for me, this time from my dream school. Only waiting on one more school. This is so rough

And with enough waiting (and crying), eventually, dreams do come true. Was accepted to my dream school (and only school that I interviewed with) today! In absolute shock right now.

Reactions: 31 users
1 WL, 1 pending post-interview.

I hadn't thought too much about the fact that I'll likely be reapplying while still on a waitlist. Now I'm thinking too much about the fact that I'll likely be reapplying while still on a waitlist.

I like to believe that you can trick the universe/fate into giving you an acceptance by writing applications for next cycle. If I wanted it to not rain, I would wear a raincoat, boots, and bring an umbrella because the universe hates preparation. Therefore, if you are prepared to apply again, the universe will have no choice but to give you an acceptance now.

Reactions: 5 users
And with enough waiting (and crying), eventually, dreams do come true. Was accepted to my dream school (and only school that I interviewed with) today! In absolute shock right now.
HELL YES! I was rooting for you :):):) congrats girl!

I like to believe that you can trick the universe/fate into giving you an acceptance by writing applications for next cycle. If I wanted it to not rain, I would wear a raincoat, boots, and bring an umbrella because the universe hates preparation. Therefore, if you are prepared to apply again, the universe will have no choice but to give you an acceptance now.

Thats some flawless logic! I'll start prewriting secondaries (much easier than PS).

Side note: your waitlist tales from last cycle are truly inspiring. Congrats on getting in!

I had been holding off on writing in this thread as I was hoping to hear good news from my state school, but instead I was rejected. That makes 4 II - 2 WL, 1 reject, 1 pending. I'm going with the tricking fate thing too! Retaking MCAT in 3 weeks *ugh*

I had been holding off on writing in this thread as I was hoping to hear good news from my state school, but instead I was rejected. That makes 4 II - 2 WL, 1 reject, 1 pending. I'm going with the tricking fate thing too! Retaking MCAT in 3 weeks *ugh*
Sorry to hear about your state school. That must be rough. Best of luck with you pending and waitlists!

Rejected off the waitlist at my state school, still one waitlist left!