Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopping on board: 2 IIs, waiting to hear from both.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
congratulations! In a previous post you said you heard from your last interview and it was a waitlist...does this mean your acceptance was off a waitlist? Is there hope for waitlist movement prior to April 30th for the rest of us?!!

Yep! It was off a waitlist. Also the waitlist had moved and accepted people who interviewed after me and I thought they passed me by. Don't pay attention to that like I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! It was off a waitlist. Also the waitlist had moved and accepted people who interviewed after me and I thought they passed me by. Don't pay attention to that like I did.
Go make papa Harambe proud :')

After about 9 months of waiting and worrying, I finally got an acceptance!

It seemed so unlikely at times and I gave up hope, but it finally happened.

I wish you guys all the best of luck and just realize that it's not over til it's over.

+1; I received my first acceptance today after a truly grueling and humbling application year. This thread brought me much needed solace in the darkest of moments and I thank all of y'all for that. Best of luck to all of you and your applications!! Just remember to always choose to keep the faith

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 19 users
Congrats to those with recent acceptances!!!

I currently have 1 DO acceptance and 1 MD hold. To be honest, if I end up at the DO school, I would be very happy and proud. But I also have no idea how my hold status at the other school is going to end up. Does anyone have any info on the hold status? Is it essentially a rejection or should I be hopeful??

Congrats to those with recent acceptances!!!

I currently have 1 DO acceptance and 1 MD hold. To be honest, if I end up at the DO school, I would be very happy and proud. But I also have no idea how my hold status at the other school is going to end up. Does anyone have any info on the hold status? Is it essentially a rejection or should I be hopeful??
Pre-interview it's functionally a rejection. Post-interview I've never heard of that, could be similar to a waitlist.

it's post-interview!
Hmm...how odd! There was an MD school that kept my status at "decision pending" for a few months; I imagine it's probably something like that. I've heard of schools deferring decisions to accept, reject, or waitlist you until future admissions committee meetings. But it sounds like you're still in the game at that school.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI: A friend of mine just got offered an interview a few days ago. I also knew a guy who interviewed at only one school in late March. The fight is not yet over.

Reactions: 10 users
FYI: A friend of mine just got offered an interview a few days ago. I also knew a guy who interviewed at only one school in late March. The fight is not yet over.

Hi @bananafish94! I am still in the "game" too. I will be reapplying in June (pending MCAT score). An interview now would be nice though!

Sent from my iPhone

Not going to lie, this cycle is making me really nervous. Currently sitting on two wait lists with one decision pending. Just hoping for some good news before april. Best of luck to everyone else also waiting.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not going to lie, this cycle is making me really nervous. Currently sitting on two wait lists with one decision pending. Just hoping for some good news before april. Best of luck to everyone else also waiting.
3 wait lists, 2 pending decisions, 1 more interview, and all my friends are in. I feel your pain.

Reactions: 6 users
3 wait lists, 2 pending decisions, 1 more interview, and all my friends are in. I feel your pain.
The feeling when your friends get their 3rd/4th acceptance and you congratulate them but just want to cry on the inside.

Reactions: 12 users
Another FYI: Every admissions office in the country is going to be 100% focused on Match Day for the next week so I wouldn't expect much news until after the 17th.

Another FYI: Every admissions office in the country is going to be 100% focused on Match Day for the next week so I wouldn't expect much news until after the 17th.
Just another week of waiting then... :nailbiting:

Joining all of you. Just want to say how much I appreciate the solidarity of this thread. 2 MD II's, still waiting to hear from both.

Unfortunately, yes (for now).

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow creeps at this petty pace from day to day...
I trust you'll understand the ref'rence to another Scottish tragedy without my having to name the play

I trust you'll understand the ref'rence to another Scottish tragedy without my having to name the play
Don't mention the accursed name! I need all the luck right now :rolleyes: Murphy's Law has definitely come into play this cycle.

rumor has it that my school is going to send out a round of acceptances this week. could use some good vibes as I'm starting to lose hope and feel pretty stressed about it. Wishing you all luck and sending congrats to all who have gotten in!

Reactions: 4 users
rumor has it that my school is going to send out a round of acceptances this week. could use some good vibes as I'm starting to lose hope and feel pretty stressed about it. Wishing you all luck and sending congrats to all who have gotten in!
Good luck! Have a video of hamsters running on a wheel (its my go to funny vid):

Reactions: 5 users
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? It's not a story the MDs would tell you...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This one kinda is how I feel applying to med school! Even though it's not going perfectly, we did it!

I like the place this thread is going. Videos all day erry day

I just saw a video of a hedgehog eating a McDonald's hash brown lol

Sent from my iPhone

I just saw a video of a hedgehog eating a McDonald's hash brown lol

Sent from my iPhone

Omg have you seen the one of the monkey eating Taco Bell

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey y'all! Jumping on this thread. Had one II that I've been waiting almost 5 months to hear back from... It's killing me.... Not only that, but it just seems no one else in life will get back to me either- returning phone calls, emails, texts, even posts on SDN.
I'm just like:
bunny.gif

Also, I might have PMS which definitely makes my frustrations worse right now, lol!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey y'all! Jumping on this thread. Had one II that I've been waiting almost 5 months to hear back from... It's killing me.... Not only that, but it just seems no one else in life will get back to me either- returning phone calls, emails, texts, even posts on SDN.
I'm just like:
View attachment 216229

Also, I might have PMS which definitely makes my frustrations worse right now, lol!
Would it help if I told you that PMS is a condition made up by the patriarchy to minimize women's thoughts and emotions and whose symptoms are entirely unreported by women from cultures which have no concept of PMS?

Reactions: 9 users
Would it help if I told you that PMS is a condition made up by the patriarchy to minimize women's thoughts and emotions and whose symptoms are entirely unreported by women from cultures which have no concept of PMS?

Lol, no. No, it would not.

Reactions: 7 users
I've been trying really hard to find humor in this whole process.

I've told a few friends that once I got through the month of January I realized the real question was no longer how many more weeks/months I have to wait before I find out, but rather how many more PMSs I have to survive before I find out, lol. That always gets a few chuckles!

Also, my 80 year old Papa asks everyday if I've heard if I got in or not. He can't fathom how drawn out this process is. He called one day recently and asked again if I'd heard. When I said no he threatened to send the preacher up to the admissions office to teach them a lesson on lying (I guess he thinks they lied about saying they would get back to me). I thought that was both precious and funny!

Reactions: 8 users
I've been trying really hard to find humor in this whole process.

I've told a few friends that once I got through the month of January I realized the real question was no longer how many more weeks/months I have to wait before I find out, but rather how many more PMSs I have to survive before I find out, lol. That always gets a few chuckles!

Also, my 80 year old Papa asks everyday if I've heard if I got in or not. He can't fathom how drawn out this process is. He called one day recently and asked again if I'd heard. When I said no he threatened to send the preacher up to the admissions office to teach them a lesson on lying (I guess he thinks they lied about saying they would get back to me). I thought that was both precious and funny!
I definitely know where you're coming from. At this point, I just tell people that I'll hear back by august and fake laugh when they look shocked. My postdoc did offer to call my top choice and ask them why they rejected me but I declined >.>

Also your username/profile pic definitely made my day. Here's to us both getting in and surviving the process *raises way-too-full cup of coffee*

Reactions: 4 users
My friends are like:

here-are-my-hqkm2f.jpg

And I'm like:

binders-full-of-lt4wiw.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Two acceptances in one day! It's not too late!! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 13 users
Man I have probably my last interview on Monday and i was hoping I'd have an acceptance by then but it's not looking great! I keep going back and forth between "this is fine I could still totally get in" and "omg I'm never going to get in anywhere"

Last edited:
Ahh yes, Match Day! Completely forgot about that; I was wondering why it was so dauntingly quiet this week. I thought the Adcom was on spring break too!

Next week is probably the last to hear anything from the 3 schools I'm still pending at.

Honestly, I'm at peace with this cycle. Of course there's a lot I could've done differently, but I've learned a lot about what I should do for next cycle.

UIC, Northwestern, PCOM.... I interviewed with you months ago.... but you still have no final decision.... whyyyyyy.....

Waiting for word from the one school where I interviewed drove me to finally make an account. We were supposed to hear today, and at least one person did (and got accepted) but I have heard nothing at all.

I've been trying to keep the faith on getting an interview from one other school that I'm a great match for (and that keeps interviewing into April sometimes), but my hope is starting to wane.

I applied really late in the cycle and definitely could have been more organized. On most days, I can say 'if it doesn't happen this year, it'll happen next year' and move on, but today it is killing me. I'm non-traditional, and I feel like I've already wasted enough years of my life waiting for things to come together, I don't want yet another year of waiting! But really, school of my one and only interview thus far: accept me, reject me, whatever -- just tell me already!

And school number 2: you know I'm a great match, you know I'm already part of the community, you know that you jerked me around on my app status so that it didn't go through until wayyyyyyy late. Please oh please, give me an interview. (I know the odds are not with me and it may be time to give up on that one, but it's my dream school, other than the app status shenanigans and incorrect information given.)

Reactions: 3 users
Waiting for word from the one school where I interviewed drove me to finally make an account. We were supposed to hear today, and at least one person did (and got accepted) but I have heard nothing at all.

I've been trying to keep the faith on getting an interview from one other school that I'm a great match for (and that keeps interviewing into April sometimes), but my hope is starting to wane.

I applied really late in the cycle and definitely could have been more organized. On most days, I can say 'if it doesn't happen this year, it'll happen next year' and move on, but today it is killing me. I'm non-traditional, and I feel like I've already wasted enough years of my life waiting for things to come together, I don't want yet another year of waiting! But really, school of my one and only interview thus far: accept me, reject me, whatever -- just tell me already!

And school number 2: you know I'm a great match, you know I'm already part of the community, you know that you jerked me around on my app status so that it didn't go through until wayyyyyyy late. Please oh please, give me an interview. (I know the odds are not with me and it may be time to give up on that one, but it's my dream school, other than the app status shenanigans and incorrect information given.)

Waiting to hear from the one school I interviewed at drove me to create an account too! I just found out yesterday I am waitlisted. So more waiting. I also am non-trad and am eager to get on with it too. Keep us posted! Definitely pulling for you!

Waiting to hear from the one school I interviewed at drove me to create an account too! I just found out yesterday I am waitlisted. So more waiting. I also am non-trad and am eager to get on with it too. Keep us posted! Definitely pulling for you!

Thanks, and congrats on the waitlist spot! No lie, the waiting seems miserable (I think being non-trad makes me less tolerant of this - never had a job keep me on the hook for 5 months then say wait and we'll see). Still, spring turns to summer and there can be a lot of movement on those WLs! Hope it turns out for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Man I have probably my last interview on Monday and i was hoping I'd have an acceptance by then but it's not looking great! I keep going back and forth between "this is fine I could still totally get in" and "omg I'm never going to get in anywhere"

I also have my last interview next week...this process has emotionally taxed me like nothing else. I found this thread because I can't take feeling alone anymore, since everyone I know IRL has gotten in somewhere.

Speaking from experience: the longer the whole process lasts, the more humor you find in the sheer absurdity of the whole thing.
I'm not sure if I'm going insane or if its actually becoming mildly amusing. Though I do know I am hemorrhaging hope at a rapid pace.

Have 1 WL but am resigned to reapplying. Things don't always work out how you want!

School #2 heard my desperate cries - II on March 30!

Reactions: 18 users