Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just did the saddest thing in my life. I had to defer a full-ride scholarship for med school. Sure I will reapply for next year, but a part of me die everyday thinking about the trust everyone has in me and how I failed them. Good luck to anyone who is still waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

I just did the saddest thing in my life. I had to defer a full-ride scholarship for med school. Sure I will reapply for next year, but a part of me die everyday thinking about the trust everyone has in me and how I failed them. Good luck to anyone who is still waiting.

Oh nooooo! Why? Couldn't you work things around?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your post history has you on the Waitlist at Morehouse up until a week ago. So was this just a joke/troll post?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your post history has you on the Waitlist at Morehouse up until a week ago. So was this just a joke/troll post?

I think they may have meant defer the money because they weren't accepted. Possibly military scholarship?

I think they may have meant defer the money because they weren't accepted. Possibly military scholarship?

I didn't think of that, makes sense though. Definitely a tough situation.

It is a scholarship for high achieving and low income student (if you know any middle school, high school or college student let them know about the Jack Kent Cooke scholarship), they sponsored me through my bachelor too. I'm grateful that they let me defer it because med school is impossible for me without financial aid.
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize it. They awarded me a full ride for any graduate profession I chose ( and assume that I get into one :().

Reactions: 1 users
It is a scholarship for high achieving and low income student (if you know any middle school, high school or college student let them know about the Jack Kent Cooke scholarship), they sponsored me through my bachelor too. I'm grateful that they let me defer it because med school is impossible for me without financial aid.
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realize it. They awarded me a full ride for any graduate profession I chose ( and assume that I get into one :().
That sounds like an amazing opportunity. Sorry to hear things didn't work out this cycle. I wish you the best of luck in your continued efforts!

Reactions: 1 user
I wish everyone who are still on the wait list best of luck! I was still on it until 3 weeks ago and the more time passes the more dreadful it feels, I absolutely understand. Feel free to PM me if any of you want to talk.

I know it's easy to say but I'm sure many of you will eventually get in, whether it is in this cycle or a later one! I used to always come to this post until getting my acceptance and you guys are definitely awesome for keeping each other up!

Reactions: 12 users
Any more WL movement?

If any of you need to reapply to medical school, I would be more than happy to look over your personal statements, activity descriptions, etc. I have a special place in my heart for anybody who has suffered through the waitlist experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
When @gyngyn is posting updates is he/she seeing where his/her accepted students have come off other schools' WLs?

IF so, are med schools given this info so that they can then try to keep their accepted students by offering merit to avoid poaching? Otherwise why would SOMs be given this info?

Got off waitlist and accepted this morning! I was just about to submit a new primary application and LOR requests but thankfully I got the phone call just in time! Good luck to all those still waiting!

Reactions: 29 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got off waitlist and accepted this morning! I was just about to submit a new primary application and LOR requests but thankfully I got the phone call just in time! Good luck to all those still waiting!

Congratulations!!:highfive:

IF so, are med schools given this info so that they can then try to keep their accepted students by offering merit to avoid poaching? Otherwise why would SOMs be given this info?
Traffic rules are to prevent inaccurate class counts and permit orderly poaching.
If one of your accepted students is offered acceptance at a school where you know they won't go, there is little need to plan for a waitlist offer.
If you are out of cash and they get a really sweet offer, you know it's time to make sure the committee has made a choice to replace. If the offer goes to a student holding at another school, that school, in turn gets a chance to make arrangements for a smooth transition.
Notification also gives a school the opportunity to point out when they have already started orientation (and the student is therefore not available).

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!!! Now Enjoy ur summer! :D

I could only see the one that interviewed with us. Where there is one that I can see, there are usually more I cannot.

How about UChicago and Stanford? Has there been any movement you have detected?

Anyone heard anything about movement at Colorado?

@gyngyn , has there been any movement in month for UCLA and UCSF? Do you anticipate more movement these coming weeks? Thank you so much!!

@gyngyn , has there been any movement in month for UCLA and UCSF? Do you anticipate more movement these coming weeks? Thank you so much!!
There has been more movement at UCLA than UCSF.

Today there were acceptances at WUSTL and Buffalo.

Thank you gyngyn for keeping us updated!!! Have you noticed any motion at Loyola, EVMS, or NYMC? Thanks again!

Reactions: 4 users
is mid-late June waitlist movement unrealistic ? :(

Hello gyngyn, do you know if Emory anticipates any movement and if there has been any movement at all?
Anyone heard anything about movement at Colorado?
Thank you gyngyn for keeping us updated!!! Have you noticed any motion at Loyola, EVMS, or NYMC? Thanks again!
If I see anything, I'll report it here.
I will admit that we have little overlap with some of these schools, so the fact that no one we interviewed is getting accepted here should not be construed as no action at these schools!

Reactions: 2 users
If I see anything, I'll report it here.
I will admit that we have little overlap with some of these schools, so the fact that no one we interviewed is getting accepted here should not be construed as no action at these schools!

So what do you see? Do you only see those schools that might have students who have also been accepted at your school as well?

I only see outcomes for students we have interviewed.

Oh...I thought you only see outcomes for students you've accepted. This makes it more interesting that you can also can see outcomes of students who you've interviewed but not accepted. I can see how that also helps with your strategy. Why bother taking someone off your own WL when you see that they've come off another WL that could probably be more desirable for them.

Thanks for your updates

It's possible but less likely than in May - would highly recommend working on re-app and submitting asap =/ i'm in the same sinking boat lol, but hopefully we've both done enough in this last year to improve our apps :)

It gets slower as time passes.
If there has been no movement at all at a school, the odds for movement begin to diminish.
If a school has gotten to the waitlist, there may continue to be acceptances until orientation.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have thoughts on applying ED with a 509 MCAT? I'm not financially (or otherwise) prepared to go through an entire 'nother application cycle, but it would only cost $160 to re-apply to my state school given that there isn't a secondary fee for in-state applicants. So I guess might as well try it if I don't get in this time (fingers still tightly crossed). However, I'm not sure whether it would be wiser to try applying ED or regular pool. The minimum MCAT for applying ED is 509, which is exactly what I have. I'm not sure if this means getting in ED would be too much of a long shot to even bother.
I would like to know the answer to what the admission suggest to do.There was similar situation with someone I know and I suggested ED taking into account that they have new experiences that will make a difference in this application compare to last cycle.

How come that's the case? If a school has movement why does it seems like they keep having movement consistently when you would think after some movement they'd be full again?
Once the reserve of excess acceptances has been depleted, every student that leaves must be replaced. They can be poached until orientation.

I would like to know the answer to what the admission suggest to do.There was similar situation with someone I know and I suggested ED taking into account that they have new experiences that will make a difference in this application compare to last cycle.
Early Decision puts one at such a disadvantage at other schools that it should only be used by those who have been told by a reliable authority (at that school!) that their application would be well received.

Once the reserve of excess acceptances has been depleted, every student that leaves must be replaced. They can be poached until orientation.

Off topic, I know...but....All of this is very nerve-wracking for applicants, those waitlisted, and for adcoms trying to seat a class, do you think that the app process will ever more closely resemble the Residency Match Program, to eliminate some of this and have seated classes by March?

Off topic, I know...but....All of this is very nerve-wracking for applicants, those waitlisted, and for adcoms trying to seat a class, do you think that the app process will ever more closely resemble the Residency Match Program, to eliminate some of this and have seated classes by March?
I have had no support for even basic reforms. I've tried.

I have had no support for even basic reforms. I've tried.

what are some of the stronger counterarguments from your colleagues in not adopting a method that closely resembles NRMP?

what are some of the stronger counterarguments from your colleagues in not adopting a method that closely resembles NRMP?
Many private schools benefit from a huge applicant pool that would inevitably be restricted in order to manage the data.
Public schools in small states don't perceive a problem.
It's unAmerican to "micromanage" the process...

Reactions: 4 users
Many private schools benefit from a huge applicant pool that would inevitably be restricted in order to manage the data.
Public schools in small states don't perceive a problem.
It's unAmerican to "micromanage" the process...

Restricted in what way? Applicants would still apply to a variety of publics and privates, SOMs would still issue invites (just like NRMP), then sometime after March, interviewed applicants and SOMs would submit their ranks, and then there would be an April or May Match Day. Any schools with empty seats and any interviewed applicants not matched could enter a SOAP-like week to fill spots.

Privates would still get lots of apps since med school applicants already know that publics have an instate bias, so privates also need to be included in one's list (unlike residencies that don't have any instate preference).

Just stopping in to say keep the faith alive. I know this has been an extremely draining process for all of you this year, but there is still time for some last-second luck to fall your way. At this time last year I was still not accepted to any school, and was lucky enough to get my name called 1 week from today! So remain focused and hang in there!

Best of Luck!

Reactions: 15 users
Early Decision puts one at such a disadvantage at other schools that it should only be used by those who have been told by a reliable authority (at that school!) that their application would be well received.
Please clarify, Do you mean if they did not get accepted to the ED , then the candidate is at disadvantage once applying to other schools after OCT 1st?