Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2017 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any news on UTSW? I know you said awhile ago that their was a "Boatload" of movement. Could you clarify as to what that means exactly? Thank you so much for your help through this process.
2 more UTSW WL offers this week

Members don't see this ad.

Got the call! UC Irvine 2021! Thanks to everybody in this thread, and good luck to you all!
Wow congrats! Haha just yesterday you wished for movement and the next day you got it! Hoping to channel your luck and wish you well in med school!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any news on the NYMC WL?! Judging by the official page there hasn't been movement in foreverrrr

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Got the call! UC Irvine 2021! Thanks to everybody in this thread, and good luck to you all!
omg!! I have been following you and a few other people on here hoping for UCI and am sooo glad to see you got it my friend!! Please spare some positive energy/prayers for me too :)

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have thoughts on applying ED with a 509 MCAT? I'm not financially (or otherwise) prepared to go through an entire 'nother application cycle, but it would only cost $160 to re-apply to my state school given that there isn't a secondary fee for in-state applicants. So I guess might as well try it if I don't get in this time (fingers still tightly crossed). However, I'm not sure whether it would be wiser to try applying ED or regular pool. The minimum MCAT for applying ED is 509, which is exactly what I have. I'm not sure if this means getting in ED would be too much of a long shot to even bother.

Does anyone have thoughts on applying ED with a 509 MCAT? I'm not financially (or otherwise) prepared to go through an entire 'nother application cycle, but it would only cost $160 to re-apply to my state school given that there isn't a secondary fee for in-state applicants. So I guess might as well try it if I don't get in this time (fingers still tightly crossed). However, I'm not sure whether it would be wiser to try applying ED or regular pool. The minimum MCAT for applying ED is 509, which is exactly what I have. I'm not sure if this means getting in ED would be too much of a long shot to even bother.
You must speak to the admissions office regarding the strength of your candidacy. Do not do it unless they tell you your odds are good. Schools vary dramatically in how they manage this program.

Wow congrats! Haha just yesterday you wished for movement and the next day you got it! Hoping to channel your luck and wish you well in med school!
Gonna have to try this... Hoping for waitlist movement this week!!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the well wishes folks! I'm very grateful to all of you! the process is pooooo, but when it happens it's wonderful! Keep the faith!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats, prollynotacat!! Hoping to be right behind ya...it's good to see movement, but discouraging when it doesn't include you :/

ETA: finally giving in and ordering transcripts for a reapplication today. Ugh.

Thanks for the well wishes folks! I'm very grateful to all of you! the process is pooooo, but when it happens it's wonderful! Keep the faith!

Congrats, prollynotacat!! Hoping to be right behind ya...it's good to see movement, but discouraging when it doesn't include you :/

ETA: finally giving in and ordering transcripts for a reapplication today. Ugh.
That's definitely true :( Still holding off on sending in my LORs from interfolio. Ordering transcripts was expensive :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Prollynotacat. I will give in at the end of this week to finally order transcript and ask for LORs. I found it hard to ask for the LORs again since all of them really have strong faith in me :(. They are all great professors/mentors to me and it saddens me more to let them down.

hi everyone! I have a re-application conundrum, and I would very much appreciate some discussion/speculation:

Does anyone have any insight into the weight schools put on individual MCAT sections? I ended up with a 509 and was VERY strong in Biological/Biochemical Foundations but VERY weak in Chemical and Physical foundations. Pretty happy with the other scores. I'd love to bring up my CP Foundations/overall score, but would hate to drop that Biological/Biochemical foundations. I understand that with the old MCAT, admissions committees liked to see a balanced score and am wondering if this still applies.

HPWL at Colorado, looking for something to push me over that edge. Solid healthcare experience, volunteer hours, extracurriculars; GPA isn't changing. Thanks and good luck to everyone else still waiting/reapplying/slowly dying! We will get through this.

Congrats Prollynotacat. I will give in at the end of this week to finally order transcript and ask for LORs. I found it hard to ask for the LORs again since all of them really have strong faith in me :(. They are all great professors/mentors to me and it saddens me more to let them down.

That's how I feel too :(

That's how I feel too :(
Ditto. I really dont want to ask especially knowing how busy they always are. Most of my letters are a year old (+-2 months) so think it'll be okay :confused:

When I was working towards reapplying asking for new copies of my LORs was what I dreaded the most. I'm betting that they wouldn't care that much and that I was just projecting, but still.

They've recommended you once. They'll provide you with support again. You're doing your part to not let their efforts go to waste!

Ditto. I really dont want to ask especially knowing how busy they always are. Most of my letters are a year old (+-2 months) so think it'll be okay :confused:
I asked for my LORs on really short notice. I felt bad about it, but my housemate's a professor and says that it doesn't take much time and it's a standard part of her job. I think she'd rather spend a little office time writing up a glowing review than listening to a student ask for a grade increase or grading.

I have a question about the facebook group for accepted students. Do you think it's accurately reflected the current size of the class? I know it could be varied based on schools. At my waitlist school the fb group is only 2/3 of the max capacity, but it could be that people haven't joined the group yet. However, it's hard to believe that 1/3 of the class does not use facebook at all :/

I have a question about the facebook group for accepted students. Do you think it's accurately reflected the current size of the class? I know it could be varied based on schools. At my waitlist school the fb group is only 2/3 of the max capacity, but it could be that people haven't joined the group yet. However, it's hard to believe that 1/3 of the class does not use facebook at all :/
I don't think they usually do reflect the size of the class, but it seems like they tend to be bigger. Is there just not much happening in the group so people aren't bothering to join?

Just found this thread. I'm on three waitlists with no idea if or when there will be movement. Now I'm worrying about re-applying in the next couple weeks :nailbiting:. I have already been waiting a year for a decision. I am losing patience. This whole process is so discouraging.

Reactions: 6 users
Just found this thread. I'm on three waitlists with no idea if or when there will be movement. Now I'm worrying about re-applying in the next couple weeks :nailbiting:. I have already been waiting a year for a decision. I am losing patience. This whole process is so discouraging.
Three waitlists buddy! Definitely feel the same way. I'm dreading the all the secondaries I'll have to pre-write. Also the cost :eek:

Hoping some good news comes our way soon! :D

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! I'm in the same boat as you (3 waitlists, 0 acceptances). I was VERY stressed out, depressed, freakin out etc etc, emotions I know we have all had in this cycle. And yes I know it's discouraging but guess what you had 3 interviews! That's alot! You got 3 interviews, so if you honestly address the weaknesses in your app it's likely you will do better the next round.

I know it SUCKS, but listen as soon as soon as I mentally decided to re-apply alot of my stress has disappeared and I'm overall much happier. Now if I get an acceptance it will be a very pleasant surprise! But my whole life is not counting on it. Yeah it's gonna be $$, time etc, so you should really sit down and think about if 1) you have/can address the weaknesses in your app and 2) if you can afford to take another year off and put in this $$ to re-apply - if the answer is yes to both then definitely re-apply. And all the while have a good backup plan otherwise :)

Lastly remember there are other professions out there that might be good options to look at - we can't always have tunnel vision with this stuff and need to flexible. Not at all telling you switch your dreams up, just encouraging you to take a look at what else is out there, mainly for backup plans and gap year options... and who knows maybe you decide you want to do something else and that will be ok too :)

Reactions: 9 users
Guys, I successfully channeled @Prollynotacat's luck!! After an agonizing journey being on 6 waitlists (interviewing since September through March), I finally got accepted this morning!! After Traffic Day all the movement I kept hearing about never included me and left me disheartened and depressed (well, even more so), so I thought that those waitlist success stories never happen to people like me. With the prospect of having to take another two gap years, and having to retake the new MCAT, I was devastated as each day passed. To all of you still waiting, I feel your pain. However, there is always hope! I wish all of you the best and good luck!!

Reactions: 40 users
Congrats! Now please channel it to me lol.

Reactions: 7 users
Guys, I successfully channeled @Prollynotacat's luck!! After an agonizing journey being on 6 waitlists (interviewing since September through March), I finally got accepted this morning!! After Traffic Day all the movement I kept hearing about never included me and left me disheartened and depressed (well, even more so), so I thought that those waitlist success stories never happen to people like me. With the prospect of having to take another two gap years, and having to retake the new MCAT, I was devastated as each day passed. To all of you still waiting, I feel your pain. However, there is always hope! I wish all of you the best and good luck!!

Also hoping to channel your luck! Let's keep the chain going haha. Congratulations, so unbelievably happy for you

Reactions: 5 users

Awesome congratulations and thank you for the well wishes!:)

Thanks everyone! :)

Congrats man! Nice to know there's still a chance for us with multiple wait lists

as soon as soon as I mentally decided to re-apply alot of my stress has disappeared and I'm overall much happier. Now if I get an acceptance it will be a very pleasant surprise!

So true!

Mentally preparing myself for the worst case scenario and channeling energy into alternative plans has helped me a lot these past couple of days.

Movement happened at my waitlisted school today, but I'm not included :(

Started #8 on the waitlist. It has moved 4 spots since, "patiently" waiting, but it is a torturous process. Good luck to all still on the WL.

It was really, really slow: Wash U, BU, NW and Einstein.
I will check again on Tuesday
Does Einstein always have a lot of waitlist movement? Seems like they have been the only one consistent over your reports!

Why does it seem like every school in the country is painfully slow this year? Weird...anyone else wondering if this will translate to a slow drip of offers over June?

Reactions: 10 users
Why does it seem like every school in the country is painfully slow this year? Weird...anyone else wondering if this will translate to a slow drip of offers over June?

Let's hope for our sake there's plenty more offers in June!

Let's hope for our sake there's plenty more offers in June!

Certainly hope so! The thought of having to rewrite all those secondaries fills me with dread

Reactions: 4 users
Here's to the beginning of another week (memorial day excluded) of wait list movement! Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend (or having a okay time at work). In the meantime, have some waitlist chocolate chip cookies :)
O79kpza.jpg

Reactions: 32 users
I'm mad jelly of your gas range @Hau5MD. I'm stuck over here with an electric, poor heat/temp control included.

Here's to the beginning of another week (memorial day excluded) of wait list movement! Hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend (or having a okay time at work). In the meantime, have some waitlist chocolate chip cookies :)
O79kpza.jpg
Now that's the spirit ! Rooting for you and everyone on this thread still waiting! It's easier for people like me who are already accepted to say that. But I am sincerely wishing you all good luck ! I have seen some of the best spirits here and I am sure you guys will make great doctors, better than some of those stat powerhouses with acceptances in top schools!

I'm mad jelly of your gas range @Hau5MD. I'm stuck over here with an electric, poor heat/temp control included.
Its a nice Dacor 36" 6 pot range. Boils water for instant ramen super fast :D Unfortunately its not mine. Just something to aspire to own in the future :rolleyes: I was also stuck using coils back in school. It was terrible to use and clean:oops:
Now that's the spirit ! Rooting for you and everyone on this thread still waiting! It's easier for people like me who are already accepted to say that. But I am sincerely wishing you all good luck ! I have seen some of the best spirits here and I am sure you guys will make great doctors, better than some of those stat powerhouses with acceptances in top schools!
Thanks! Just have to keep moving forward ;)

A waitlist is a stressful thing.
That much, I think is clear.
You'd give up mostly everything
To start in your career.

Your patience wanes, you rack your brains,
To try to figure out,
How all your gains and premed pains
Have left you so without.

Don't fret, my friends, it's only May.
There's still much time to pass!
Your day cannot be far away,
And soon you'll be in class.

I always hated this whole dance,
I really must insist.
I never thought I had a chance
At getting off that list.

But sure enough, my moment came,
And yours, I'm sure, will too.
And when it does, I must proclaim,
It is because of you.

@bananafish94 this is so great. I'm waitlisted at Rush and at my wit's end as they haven't accepted anyone off the waitlist yet this year. Was really hoping it would be a year like yours where they accepted 40 off the waitlist, but clearly everyone has realized what a great school it is. But there's still a chance. Wish me luck!

I'm there with you guys... [edited]. Good Luck guys!

Last edited:
@bananafish94 this is so great. I'm waitlisted at Rush and at my wit's end as they haven't accepted anyone off the waitlist yet this year. Was really hoping it would be a year like yours where they accepted 40 off the waitlist, but clearly everyone has realized what a great school it is. But there's still a chance. Wish me luck!
Sincerely, I wish you the very best of luck. You never know what might happen! It was just about exactly this time last year when I got accepted, so there's definitely still hope for everybody.

Reactions: 4 users
Hoping for some movement for us all! Have been demotivated to fill out this primary, but I finally have taken the first steps... Onwards and upwards!