OFFICIAL PEDS 2016-2017 INTERVIEW THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How often do programs send out hand written letters? I have gotten 2. One seemed very form like, but the other one was more personal. I imagine that means the programs are genuinely interested in me?

I've wondered this as well. I've gotten a few of the same, fairly general vs. pretty specific to my interview with really encouraging language. I don't know how much stock we're suppose to put into that stuff, but it definitely feels nice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I've wondered this as well. I've gotten a few of the same, fairly general vs. pretty specific to my interview with really encouraging language. I don't know how much stock we're suppose to put into that stuff, but it definitely feels nice.

Did everyone who interviewed at UCLA get an email from the PD and handwritten notes from your interviewers?

I got handwritten notes from interviewers, but not an email from the PD

Members don't see this ad :)
I just sent out my "you're my #1" email this morning. Is it still the consensus that emailing programs 2-4/5 isn't a great idea? I hate to leave them hanging because I really do love them. I'm couple's matching so compromise came into play a lot with my list so I love my #2 just as much (maybe even a little more, potentially) than my #1 and I feel awful not emailing them. I don't want them to see through the email though and for it to hurt my chances. Why is this so stressful?? Haha

Reactions: 1 user
I just sent out my "you're my #1" email this morning. Is it still the consensus that emailing programs 2-4/5 isn't a great idea? I hate to leave them hanging because I really do love them. I'm couple's matching so compromise came into play a lot with my list so I love my #2 just as much (maybe even a little more, potentially) than my #1 and I feel awful not emailing them. I don't want them to see through the email though and for it to hurt my chances. Why is this so stressful?? Haha

You're not leaving them hanging because it's not like they're sitting around waiting for your email. These emails are of no benefit so I recommend not sending them at all, including to your number one. Sending an email to a place to tell them you're ranking them highly is basically telling them that they're not your number one, which is not a good thing to tell them. Just rank the places in the order that you'd like to be there and forget the stupid love letter/post-interview communication game. This is the reason I like my home program's policy of not communicating with applicants post-interview.

You're not leaving them hanging because it's not like they're sitting around waiting for your email. These emails are of no benefit so I recommend not sending them at all, including to your number one. Sending an email to a place to tell them you're ranking them highly is basically telling them that they're not your number one, which is not a good thing to tell them. Just rank the places in the order that you'd like to be there and forget the stupid love letter/post-interview communication game. This is the reason I like my home program's policy of not communicating with applicants post-interview.

Okay, that's mostly what I've been reading. Some people have mentioned emailing people and just expressing how much you enjoyed the interviewed and how much you would love working there without mentioning "I'm going to rank you highly." If anything I would do that. I just don't want to be the only person not playing "the game."

hi. I had an opportunity to interview with both Orlando Health and the Florida hospital For children residency programs. I couldn't help but notice the difference between them. Needless to mention Orlando Health is the better program, better attention is given to the learning, outpatient and inpatient experience, if you wnat to become a well rounded physician. More number of residents, dedicated learning times, research opportunities and Trauma center. Florida Hospital peds program is younger and looked very "Disney" friendly, but the residents did not look prepared for anything. Their learning seemed shallow, and lacking any structure and at times motivation as well. During the interview, they mentioned the food being free for physicians, a privilege that was recently taken away. Most residents shy away from research, Not a trauma center. Weaker program

anyone ever hear from Cook county in Chicago?
Hey, still wondering about Cook County? They just withdrew from the match yesterday :( they're not taking any residents this year (yeah, after having interviewed, I'm so pissed I spent money and time to go IV there)

did CHLA PD contact everyone post interview??

Hey, still wondering about Cook County? They just withdrew from the match yesterday :( they're not taking any residents this year (yeah, after having interviewed, I'm so pissed I spent money and time to go IV there)
Wow! That's crazy. I've been rotations in Chicago and other parts of Illinois and all of my attendings told me not to go to the interview so I didn't. I'm sorry they made you waste money, that's really not cool during this costly interview season. Hope other places workout for you!!

Does receiving update from PD this last hours before deadline- a good sign?

Anyone else receiving emails from PD? Where are you receiving from?

Could you get the list started? This tends to be a quiet board.

I don't think this is a very good idea. I'm fairly certain these emails are to a select group of applicants and it wouldn't be impossible to identify individual applicants. Also, I think there's an implied confidentiality with these kinds of things and I've always respected it.

I don't think this is a very good idea. I'm fairly certain these emails are to a select group of applicants and it wouldn't be impossible to identify individual applicants. Also, I think there's an implied confidentiality with these kinds of things and I've always respected it.

I'm not applying this year, but I got a handwritten letter from Duke, and a personalized email from Phoenix, and I dropped below both of them on my rank list. I'm happy with where I ended up, though it was a bit of a shock come match day.

MUSC also sent us a postcard my year, but I saw them being passed around on interview day, so it's not something that was thought of later.

Good luck everyone in submitting your rank lists today and in the 2017 match! I hope you all end up where you want to be and enjoy the experience of getting another step closer to your goal of becoming a pediatrician. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone in submitting your rank lists today and in the 2017 match! I hope you all end up where you want to be and enjoy the experience of getting another step closer to your goal of becoming a pediatrician. :)

Good luck everyone!