Official Pediatrics Shelf Exam Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We were required to do some of the clipp stuff and if you didn't know much about Peds they were probably helpful. FA for the Peds clerkship or FA for the wards/step2? I didn't use FA for the clerkship on this one but did on several others and really found it useful. Blueprints is useless for Peds IMHO. And I'm drawing a blank on how CF was. Just work hard, enjoy yourself, and study up on the common things (asthma, bronchiolitis, bugs of diarrhea, fluid management..) if you're really interested.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a shelf for this rotation, but I want to be able to hold my own on the wards and have a solid working knowledge of peds while I'm on the rotation. What do you think I should read for this purpose? I have access to CF, BP, FA, and CLIPP. Thanks

brs

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 brs is the absolute best for peds.

Can you elaborate further on BRS? I don't have Peds for several months, but from what I found, the BRS book is from 2004 or something.... is it still good/up to date enough to be using in 2013? Thanks!

BRS Peds is amazeballs! I started out with Blueprints and almost wanted to strangle myself. Quickly put that aside and read BRS Peds--was golden. YES-it's still relevant for 2013. Everything in there is high yield.

BRS Peds is amazeballs! I started out with Blueprints and almost wanted to strangle myself. Quickly put that aside and read BRS Peds--was golden. YES-it's still relevant for 2013. Everything in there is high yield.

Wish I would have known this 6 weeks ago! Everyone here spouts about how great First Aid is. I made it through about half of it and switched to the Kaplan lectures.

1/2 of First Aid, Kaplan Pediatrics Lectures (x1.5), and about 200 UWorld Questions --> Raw 92, 95th Percentile

Tied for my best shelf of the year. Wish I knew about these lectures for medicine...

Last edited:

Update: 94th percentile. Used BRS Peds, Case Files, UWorld, Kaplan QBank

So whats everyone's feelings on Kaplan's Pediatrics lectures. At least 1 person recommended it but anybody else? Pros/Cons?

So whats everyone's feelings on Kaplan's Pediatrics lectures. At least 1 person recommended it but anybody else? Pros/Cons?

I got a 99 scaled score with those videos. I'd highly recommend it if you've got the 15 hours to invest in them.

are these the kaplan high yileld lectures that run about 400-600 dollars?

Hi guys, I'm about to start 3rd year and Peds is my first rotation. I am a DO student and have taken COMLEX I so far and am awaiting my results. I had planned on taking USMLE 1, but did not feel ready. I was wondering, if in your opinion, studying for Step 1 and doing a Peds rotation/studying for the Shelf with BRS, is feasible? I have my rotation in a critical care setting and don't know the hours yet, but I would imagine it would be highly variable? I am almost done with USMLE studying(just have 10% more of uworld to go and have to review the Biochem/Micro section again).

Another reason I had wanted to delay was that I might have been able to appreciate some clinical aspects of the material better (i.e. acid/base, heart sounds, lung sounds). I would be truly grateful for any input, sorry I know that this is not the intended forum but I thought I would just get some input from you guys as oppose to starting a new thread.

Hi guys, I'm about to start 3rd year and Peds is my first rotation. I am a DO student and have taken COMLEX I so far and am awaiting my results. I had planned on taking USMLE 1, but did not feel ready. I was wondering, if in your opinion, studying for Step 1 and doing a Peds rotation/studying for the Shelf with BRS, is feasible? I have my rotation in a critical care setting and don't know the hours yet, but I would imagine it would be highly variable? I am almost done with USMLE studying(just have 10% more of uworld to go and have to review the Biochem/Micro section again).

Another reason I had wanted to delay was that I might have been able to appreciate some clinical aspects of the material better (i.e. acid/base, heart sounds, lung sounds). I would be truly grateful for any input, sorry I know that this is not the intended forum but I thought I would just get some input from you guys as oppose to starting a new thread.

Most importantly, NO ONE EVER FEELS READY FOR STEP 1

As for everything else: Impossible to know. As a PICU fellow now, I can tell you that there's a wide swing in terms of what will be expected of you. If it's a place used to having students (although a 3rd year in the PICU is probably rare thing - typically of more of a 4th year rotation), then the expectations and hours will be higher. If it's a place with rare students, you'll likely have lower expectations. Can't promise that, but that's my best guess.

As for your studying for step 1, know this, there is a level of diminishing returns at some point. There will reach a point where the number of points you gain for another 7 days of studying will get smaller and smaller. Long ago when I was studying for step 1 my med school recommended no more than 6 weeks of intense studying for the exam, because the largest gains for students were between weeks 3 to 4, and weeks 4-5. After that, you gain only minimal improvements. If you're not fully dedicated to studying, it seems likely that you'll have even less improvement.

A PICU rotation will certainly help with your understanding of acid/base, though it tends to be much more practical than anything else, (heart/lung sounds only come from listening to lots of patients both normal and abnormal...they're mostly going to be abnormal in the PICU and all 3rd year students are terrible with exam skills). It won't seem like it, but I promise you intensivists like to break concepts down to the points that matter most to patients, which may be far simpler than what's going to show up on the USMLE - particularly for step 1 which is so much more theoretical than clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most importantly, NO ONE EVER FEELS READY FOR STEP 1

As for everything else: Impossible to know. As a PICU fellow now, I can tell you that there's a wide swing in terms of what will be expected of you. If it's a place used to having students (although a 3rd year in the PICU is probably rare thing - typically of more of a 4th year rotation), then the expectations and hours will be higher. If it's a place with rare students, you'll likely have lower expectations. Can't promise that, but that's my best guess.

As for your studying for step 1, know this, there is a level of diminishing returns at some point. There will reach a point where the number of points you gain for another 7 days of studying will get smaller and smaller. Long ago when I was studying for step 1 my med school recommended no more than 6 weeks of intense studying for the exam, because the largest gains for students were between weeks 3 to 4, and weeks 4-5. After that, you gain only minimal improvements. If you're not fully dedicated to studying, it seems likely that you'll have even less improvement.

A PICU rotation will certainly help with your understanding of acid/base, though it tends to be much more practical than anything else, (heart/lung sounds only come from listening to lots of patients both normal and abnormal...they're mostly going to be abnormal in the PICU and all 3rd year students are terrible with exam skills). It won't seem like it, but I promise you intensivists like to break concepts down to the points that matter most to patients, which may be far simpler than what's going to show up on the USMLE - particularly for step 1 which is so much more theoretical than clinical.

Thanks for the advice. You are correct, it's not going to work out. I do not think I will be able to study for my shelf let alone the USMLE step 1 given this demanding rotation. I've been on my toes and learning lots though. I truly love working with kids.

I am sick of studying for step 1 anyways. I agree with you about the gains as well. I will loose more than I gain if I study anymore. I cannot juggle this much. My prime responsibility is to this shelf exam and doing good on this rotation. Thus, I am going to buy Case files and try to learn as much as I can. I honestly can say that as tired as I am at the end of the day, I am truly enjoying myself for the first time since I started med school.

hey guys, is there an nbme practice test available for this shelf?

I am in a little bit of a hustle in my preparation as my peds rotation has been busy and they gave me a lot of work to do (article reading etc.). I have my test next week (Friday) and just want to pass the shelf at this point. I have access to the Case Files and CLIPP cases. I have done half of Uworld and sporadically looked things up in BRS peds.

I want to complete one thing however. I was thinking about just blasting through the Case Files in a weekend. What do you guys suggest for someone who just wants to past the test? Not looking to go into peds so far.

thanks

I am in a little bit of a hustle in my preparation as my peds rotation has been busy and they gave me a lot of work to do (article reading etc.). I have my test next week (Friday) and just want to pass the shelf at this point. I have access to the Case Files and CLIPP cases. I have done half of Uworld and sporadically looked things up in BRS peds.

I want to complete one thing however. I was thinking about just blasting through the Case Files in a weekend. What do you guys suggest for someone who just wants to past the test? Not looking to go into peds so far.

thanks

I hated CLIPP.

I would definitely try to finish UWorld, but I don't know if I'd make it a top priority. I only did about half of it and I did fine on the shelf.

From what I've read on here BRS Peds is da bomb. I didn't use it, however.

I would say to try to finish either BRS Peds or Case Files. I know a few of my classmates used Case Files and thought it was good.

thanks

I hated CLIPP.

I would definitely try to finish UWorld, but I don't know if I'd make it a top priority. I only did about half of it and I did fine on the shelf.

From what I've read on here BRS Peds is da bomb. I didn't use it, however.

I would say to try to finish either BRS Peds or Case Files. I know a few of my classmates used Case Files and thought it was good.

+1...brs peds is solid. I suggest you focus on it.

thanks BRS is 600 pages though! I don't know if I can chunk it in 1.5 weeks, case files seems more reasonable. from an exam standpoint, are there any specific things within the BRS that are must reads? i was kinda just thinking about doing an NBME and at least trying to finish the questions at the end of every BRS chapter?

alternatively, are the kaplan vids any good or the UNC ones? just need a practical doable priority to finish in 1.5 week. Busy rotation,

thanks BRS is 600 pages though! I don't know if I can chunk it in 1.5 weeks, case files seems more reasonable. from an exam standpoint, are there any specific things within the BRS that are must reads? i was kinda just thinking about doing an NBME and at least trying to finish the questions at the end of every BRS chapter?

alternatively, are the kaplan vids any good or the UNC ones? just need a practical doable priority to finish in 1.5 week. Busy rotation,

I read 1/2 of first aid, did the Kaplan videos x 1.5 (and took my own notes) , read the corresponding Kaplan notes, and did 1/2 of Uworld... Got me a 95th percentile. It was my last rotation though. You pick up a lot throughout the year.

I read 1/2 of first aid, did the Kaplan videos x 1.5 (and took my own notes) , read the corresponding Kaplan notes, and did 1/2 of Uworld... Got me a 95th percentile. It was my last rotation though. You pick up a lot throughout the year.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think First Aid for peds is out of the question at this point in time (with about a week left).

I will look into the Kaplan high yield notes (217 pages i think?)

I just need some informative (non question resource) to finish as I need to have the minimum basis to make a concept strong enough to pass.

Can people rank the following as a main study resource (BRS, Blueprints, First Aid, NMS)

#1 BRS
#2 doesn't matter

I have to agree at this point. I've read a several chapters atm and it's definitely been helpful. I've supplemented that with Step-Up Medicine for my inpatient and it's been awesome. I'm sure there might be better books than step-up, but I feel it's the book I feel most comfortable using as an inpatient guide/tool for certain things like ambulatory care + fluid/electrolyte balances.

I have to agree at this point. I've read a several chapters atm and it's definitely been helpful. I've supplemented that with Step-Up Medicine for my inpatient and it's been awesome. I'm sure there might be better books than step-up, but I feel it's the book I feel most comfortable using as an inpatient guide/tool for certain things like ambulatory care + fluid/electrolyte balances.

SUTM for peds? I get that some of the principles are the same between adults and kids, but still seems like an odd choice.

SUTM for peds? I get that some of the principles are the same between adults and kids, but still seems like an odd choice.

IMO (and anyone else can correct me) - certain sections deal with principles that are the same for both age groups. Ambulatory care/electrolytes. I'm not advocating it as a stand-alone, but it's got info that does help.

But I use -

Case Files
Pre-Test
BRS mostly

Agreed...especially for "ambulatory care" as the poster states - WAY, WAY different expectations, priorities, care, diseases and treatments in outpatient peds vs outpatient adult care

Agreed...especially for "ambulatory care" as the poster states - WAY, WAY different expectations, priorities, care, diseases and treatments in outpatient peds vs outpatient adult care
This is inpatient, so I can see why you disagree. But I have to say;
Please explain how BRS Peds trumps with regards to fluid/electrolyte abnormalities?. So far, I've seen this book trump brs peds in:

Fluid/Electrolytes
Infectious Disease
Renal/Nephrology

Extremely Helpful in:
Cardio
Pulm

Personally, I've seen numerous "adult" issues in pediatrics while in rotations.

And not to mention having read this book during 2nd year, I've had less issues studying issues in different aspects of Peds BRS.

But that's my opinion. People were confused by it for Family Medicine until they saw the ridiculous amount of questions from Amb Care. :laugh:

edit - you're talking outpatient peds. I'm talking inpatient. I'll say that I can't speak for how much more helpful it is in outpatient. But it's helped for inpatient.

This is inpatient, so I can see why you disagree. But I have to say;
Please explain how BRS Peds trumps with regards to fluid/electrolyte abnormalities?. So far, I've seen this book trump brs peds in:

Fluid/Electrolytes
Infectious Disease
Renal/Nephrology

Extremely Helpful in:
Cardio
Pulm

Personally, I've seen numerous "adult" issues in pediatrics while in rotations.

And not to mention having read this book during 2nd year, I've had less issues studying issues in different aspects of Peds BRS.

But that's my opinion. People were confused by it for Family Medicine until they saw the ridiculous amount of questions from Amb Care. :laugh:

edit - you're talking outpatient peds. I'm talking inpatient. I'll say that I can't speak for how much more helpful it is in outpatient. But it's helped for inpatient.

Seeing adult issues in the rotation isn't going to help you for the shelf as much as learning about inpatient pediatric diseases.

BRSx1
PreTest Pedsx2

99% scaled

Seeing adult issues in the rotation isn't going to help you for the shelf as much as learning about inpatient pediatric diseases.

You must have misunderstood me or I'm saying it wrong. I never said it would be more helpful. I'm saying it's a very good tool to have in addition to BRS Peds/Pre-Test.

is there a correlation between one's shelf score and uworld percentile?

I see that people are highly recommending BRS for the shelf, even though it's almost 10 years old. My question is, is the material in there relevant for the day-to-day aspect of modern peds? Or do I need to use another resource for updated treatments, guidelines, etc? Thanks!

I see that people are highly recommending BRS for the shelf, even though it's almost 10 years old. My question is, is the material in there relevant for the day-to-day aspect of modern peds? Or do I need to use another resource for updated treatments, guidelines, etc? Thanks!

It's dense...really dense. I don't know if I'm wrong in saying this, but there's no imaginable way that all this needs to be known for the shelf. I'll let you know in 3 weeks....

With saying that; I'll say that so far, I haven't sounded like an idiot about the treatment suggestions. Antibiotics, from what I've seen, are really just about scenarios you see. The book gives you the classic symptoms and the basic txt's. But you might not see that.

With saying that - I ****ing hate CLIPP cases. Does anyone else not like them? My frustration is how stupid the differential portions are. I get them wrong because I don't choose diseases that don't fit the criteria. And then the explanation SAYS so but wants you to pick it anyways. Is that how I'm supposed to think? I don't see the point in doing that. I have the exam/history findings and I choose based on that. But they want us to just pick anything...

It's dense...really dense. I don't know if I'm wrong in saying this, but there's no imaginable way that all this needs to be known for the shelf. I'll let you know in 3 weeks....

With saying that; I'll say that so far, I haven't sounded like an idiot about the treatment suggestions. Antibiotics, from what I've seen, are really just about scenarios you see. The book gives you the classic symptoms and the basic txt's. But you might not see that.

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be using outdated information on the wards.

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be using outdated information on the wards.

I have only read through 10% of BRS but it doesn't seem too outdated to me, yet.. I dunno but I am sticking with it, BRS seems great so far.

also, I hate CLIPP. I banged through the required ones the first weekend of the rotation. They are such time wasters.

I have only read through 10% of BRS but it doesn't seem too outdated to me, yet.. I dunno but I am sticking with it, BRS seems great so far.

also, I hate CLIPP. I banged through the required ones the first weekend of the rotation. They are such time wasters.

Good to know, thanks! Just checked BRS out from the library recently and it is dense! Hopefully, I can get through the entire thing over the next 6 weeks (I start peds tomorrow).

Starting my pediatrics rotation on Monday and already going ape **** and losing my mind how to study. Looks like the consensus is Kaplan pediatrics along with BRS pediatrics. Will these sources and doing well on the rotation guarantee me atleast a 95 on the shelf?

Secondly, should I start registering for UW's Qbank for Step 2 or should I wait a bit? I planned on taking S2 around June of next year to make in time for the match. Thanks!

For your first question its probably IgA deficiency which is the most common and also leads to issues with respiratory tract illness and sinusitis etc. So that would be impaired humoral immunity.

The second question answer is voiding cysourethorgraphy due to increased risk of vesicoureteral reflux in kids with history of UTI

Last edited:
Hello, did anyone use First Aid for pediatric clerkship and was it helpful? Also between FA and BRS which is better to use if you have 7 weeks?

Hello, did anyone use First Aid for pediatric clerkship and was it helpful? Also between FA and BRS which is better to use if you have 7 weeks?

I hated FA pediatrics and thought it wasn't helpful at all for the shelf. It wasn't organized well and lacked details on management. I heard BRS was good for peds.

I hated FA pediatrics and thought it wasn't helpful at all for the shelf. It wasn't organized well and lacked details on management. I heard BRS was good for peds.

thank you. I guess i should just stick with BRS

Is there an actual practice pediatrics NBME that we can purchase? The poster a few posts above said he did two of them. I'm trying to find it online, but having trouble finding them. Any help, would be appreciated.

Is there an actual practice pediatrics NBME that we can purchase? The poster a few posts above said he did two of them. I'm trying to find it online, but having trouble finding them. Any help, would be appreciated.

I'm on my phone but check the NBME self-assessment site (the same place you get NBME step 1 practice exams).

Sent from my SGH-M919

Are the nbme's a bit on the easy side?

I just took the first one and got a 98...i feel like i don't know that much tho.

This should be pathognomonic for croup. About as classic of a sign they come.

A Family doctor explained this to us. It has to do with breathing in cold air and how that changes the physiology of the lungs...sorry I totally forgot the details but it has to do with cold air. He said they kids present classical like parents take them ED or they sit outside on the porch and symptoms improve. Often times by the time they come to the ED they have no more Sxs. Now if they still do and has bad stridor you should have epiglottis in your DDX.

How important are the first 3 chapters in BRS (health supervision, behavioral stuff, and adolescent medicine)? Same with the genetic disorders chapter. Would the UWorld questions on those topics be enough for the shelf?

I want to be able to make a second pass through the material before my shelf exam next Friday, but I can only see that happening if I skip my first pass of the material in the chapters I mentioned. I'm almost done with my first pass, but this is taking a lot longer than I expected -- hence, the question regarding skipping some of those lower-yield chapters.

I just finished Pediatrics Q1. Got my score back today, and wanted to help out by adding my own datapoint.

8 week rotation, four weeks inpatient, four weeks outpatient.

This is my first rotation after 4 years of PhD no-man's land.

Resources used:
1. Case files (okay for a foundation, but I don't think it's super high yield for prepping for NBME exam questions. 1 week to get through).
2. Pre-Test (I did not like it; I don't feel like answers are up to date or explained particularly well. 1 week to get through).
3. First-Aid Pediatrics (quite long, and full of LISTS of things -- it IS comprehensive, but I learned I am terrible at memorizing lists. 1.5 weeks to get through.)
4. BRS Peds (I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. The perfect balance between a textbook vs an outline. Written in complete/half complete sentences. Took me 2 weeks to get through.)
5. UWorld (~350 questions -- excellent qbank, not entirely comprehensive, but very very good, did 2x's).
6. Kaplan (~325 questions -- ok qbank, not as good as UWorld but good practice, did 1x).
7. USMLERx (~350 questions -- easy qbank, but GREAT to round out with -- also, it will train you to be almost reflexive with the easy questions, 1x)
8. Kaplan Step 3 Review book, Peds section (200 questions, kind of low yield IMHO, but at this point I was running out of resources, 1x).

Made a giant 14 page Word document of all the 'facts' from questions I missed, reviewed non-stop for 2 days before the shelf.

Shelf: 94/100 scaled score, 95% percentile.

It's not a perfect score, especially considering how much time I spent studying, but honestly, I had to review and relearn so much forgotten stuff after 4 years of non-medicine that I am definitely thankful for what I got -- no complaints here!

Thanks SDN for all the advice :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users