Official NBDE Part 2 Study Q & A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all study questions/answers for the NBDE Part 2 in this thread. Good luck!

As a side note, this is not the place for sales ads. Discussion of remembered questions appearing on the exam is also not permitte

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,

Does anybody who have taken PART 2 can tell me, If there is Case question scenario at the end of the 200 or 400 questions for the component A on first day, like in part 1? Or its just on 2nd day the case scenario..

Do we need to expect any:confused:

Thank you..

Hey:

1st day: 200 questions (mixed) in the morning
200 questions (mixed) in the afternoon
2nd day: 100 questions - Clinical Cases (3.5hrs)

Good Luck

Let me correct myself Liners 5 microns(Not mm)
Bases 1-2mm
cements 15-25microns(Not mm)

Thanks for the reply

even though I am more confused now !! I know base and cementum is just the same .. but I ll memorize it just as it is

what about the 3 years old child pls?

Members don't see this ad :)
pt counts from 60-70, and his teeth contact prematurely. How do u correct?

1. increase VDO.
2. decrease VDO.:thumbup:

pls correct me if I am wrong?!!

which of the following not associated with perio disease in primary teeth?

1. Down's Syndrom :confused: I am not sure ( but I know they have high dental caries and low perio dis) what do u think?
2. cycloneutropenia.
3. steven's johnson syndrom.

which of the following not associated with perio disease in primary teeth?

1. Down's Syndrom :confused: I am not sure ( but I know they have high dental caries and low perio dis) what do u think?
2. cycloneutropenia.
3. steven's johnson syndrom.

No Down syndrome patient is not prone to high dental caries from what I know..

The immediate post op complication following aspiration of liquid vomitus into TRACHEA and BRONCHI is -
1- pleurisy
2- bronchitis
3-atelectasis
4-lung abcess

In performing elective tracheostomy , the trachea should be entered -
1- below the cricoid or
2- thru cricothyroid membrane

shouldn't the answer be 2 ... but then ASDA says it as 1 .. July 1978 release OS and Pain control Question 57 .

hi
I have a question. After a person applies to colleges with part 1 and Toefl scores, can he/she update part 2 scores later on?

Packet II-L
Q .46- Most consistent root canal morphology is seen with -
A. Mandibular incisors
B. Maxillary canines
C. Mandibular premolars
D.Maxillary premolars
E.Mandibular molars..

ASDA says C... but i don't agree with it :(

17. which of the following explains why the z plasty techniques used in modifying a labial frenum is considered to be superior to the diamond technique

a. it is less trauamtic
b. it is technically easier
c. it requires fewer sutures
d. it increased the effect of scar contracture
e. it allows for closure by second intention

Members don't see this ad :)
looking for study partner for part2.....want to appear in may.....so 2months serious study, preferably
indian female, plz reply asap.

The main advantage of z plasty over the Vplasty method is minimal scar tissue formation.The method requires a skilled operator as it is tedious to perform.
so the answer is A

hey dds mania.. the answer is maxillary cuspid(C). The mandibular premolars(especially with mand 1st PM) are very inconsistent with their root canal anatomy.In fact the mand 1st PM is often called the enigma to an endodontist, although mand 2nd pm is more or less consistent in its anatomy.
Mand incisors have 2 canals in 40% of the cases. And in case of mand molars they have an additional distal canal, maxillary1st and 2nd second premolars may have 3 or 2 canals respectively.Sorry for the info overload..but i hope this clears ur doubts:)

looking for study partner for part2.....want to appear in may.....so 2months serious study, preferably
indian female, plz reply asap.

can someone please suggest where to study the insurance part from?.... and also the questions related to patient psychology?
thanks!

hi! I am planning to take Part 2 by mid-June... do you think two months is enough time to prepare? I am planning on using

Kaplan Q bank and Lecture Notes
ASDA Exams
Dental Decks

Thanks!

in one of the ASDA papers it was asked that

Cavity liners have a minimal thickness of
A.1mm
B.1.5mm
C.15mm
D.125mm

AND the answer is C 15mm. But I doubt this, Please can anybody explain

hey,if u r from hyderabad,r u preparing frm der or u r in US??...m an indian too,wen do u plan to giv?
HI,
I have started preparation for part 2. Could you please do me a small favour? I just need ASDA previous question papers for part2, Do you have those? Is there any website to get those papers?
Help is appreciated
Thanks.

in one of the ASDA papers it was asked that

Cavity liners have a minimal thickness of
A.1mm
B.1.5mm
C.15mm
D.125mm

AND the answer is C 15mm. But I doubt this, Please can anybody explain
HI,
I have started preparation for part 2. Could you please do me a small favour? I just need ASDA previous question papers for part2, Do you have those? Is there any website to get those papers?
Help is appreciated
Thanks.

Hue( Actual color) cannot be changed...Value cannot be Increased or brightened, Chroma change can take place by adding stains.

For the second one green discoloration is Silver/ Copper i too have doubt in this but its given silver as an answer in one released paper

HI,
Help is appreciated
Thanks.
ur email address??

Packet II-L
A. Mandibular incisors
B. Maxillary canines
C. Mandibular premolars
D.Maxillary premolars
E.Mandibular molars..

i had come across this qs somewhere else and the answer was maxillary canine

Hi

Does a Patient who has under gone knee replacement procedure 3 yrs ago need antibiotic prophylaxis for dental procedure?

Thanks

Chronic peridontis and aggresive peridontitis pts are similar in
1) teeth
2) local factors
3) t/t response
4) time

pls tell the ans

1) Which muscle dislodges denture on disto lingual?
mylohyoid, genioglossus, digastric,, geniohyoid?

2) Why do you keep isthmus small?

3) When do you do sealant
coalesced decay, pt with existing occlusal decay, well water, seen on x-ray

These qs came in exams.pls tell ans.
i dont know what it means
Q) where do u see decay on x-ray?
Q) class 2 decay under composite
gingival, facial , lingual,occlusal

grinding the incisal edges of the mand anterior teeth to correct protrusive interferences alters the guidance or thecontact in
a) working movemnt
b balancing movt
c) protrusive movt
d) centric occlusion
e) all the above

the ans is: all the above
can someone plz explain how...thanx

Is anyone trying to sale nbde part2 material. I am willing to buy . U can pm me or call me up at 248 880 7352

What % of liquid is in an oxygen cylinder " E" when it is half full?
Less than 1%
25%
50%
95%
Answer is A. Please explain it to me. Thanks.

What % of liquid is in an oxygen cylinder " E" when it is half full?
Less than 1%
25%
50%
95%
Answer is A. Please explain it to me. Thanks.
please help me with this q
recently introduce local ansthesia agent that is several time as potent as procaine,available in 0.05% in 1.8 ml, max. amount recomended is 30 mg for 4 hours, this amount is contained in how many cartlige ?
1-9
10- 18
19-27
28-36 ans.
greater than 36

can some one explain it for me plz
my exam next week

please help me with this q
recently introduce local ansthesia agent that is several time as potent as procaine,available in 0.05% in 1.8 ml, max. amount recomended is 30 mg for 4 hours, this amount is contained in how many cartlige ?
1-9
10- 18
19-27
28-36 ans.
greater than 36

can some one explain it for me plz
my exam next week

Amt of LA in 1.8 ml is 0.05/100*1.8*1000= 9 mg
Max dose is 30 mg
So, cartridge needed would be 30/9= 3.333
That makes ans 1-9
Is this the answer?

Amt of LA in 1.8 ml is 0.05/100*1.8*1000= 9 mg
Max dose is 30 mg
So, cartridge needed would be 30/9= 3.333
That makes ans 1-9
Is this the answer?

no answer is 28-36.

.05 x 10 = .5

.5x1.8= .9 approx 1mg / cartridge so to get 30 mg you need 30 cartridges.

please help me to solve this question, thx

if periodical radiolucency is present at the apex of a tooth with a middle third root fracture and the apical canal space is non-negotiable, the required treatment would be

1. extraction because of the port prognosis
2. calcium hydroxide treatment of the coronal segment only
3. apical surgery with a super EBA reverse filling
4. apical surgery with removal of the apical segment root canal treatment on the coronal segment
5. extraction with removal of the apical segment and replantation of the coronal segment

the answer is 5. Why?

you will find it on Dental Deck card just review perio or prostho section. Its in detail

Hey.. wanted to know what score I should be getting on the ADSA old papers to feel ready enough to take Part 2? Thanks!

please help me to solve this question, thx

if periodical radiolucency is present at the apex of a tooth with a middle third root fracture and the apical canal space is non-negotiable, the required treatment would be

1. extraction because of the port prognosis
2. calcium hydroxide treatment of the coronal segment only
3. apical surgery with a super EBA reverse filling
4. apical surgery with removal of the apical segment root canal treatment on the coronal segment
5. extraction with removal of the apical segment and replantation of the coronal segment

the answer is 5. Why?

Based on given question, root fracture with no RCT tx option due to the apical canal space is non-negotiable. I would first think about the goal of tx. If the tooth has a single root then extraction. but what if it is multi-rooted tooth then possible tx should be resection with removal of only affected root.

i had come across this qs somewhere else and the answer was maxillary canine

I agree with you. Mandibular premolar root canal morphology has the most variations and because of that it is very difficult to treat and high failure rate. if you see the words "mandibular first premolar", then think a "C-shaped canal anatomy".

Packet II-L
A. Mandibular incisors
B. Maxillary canines
C. Mandibular premolars
D.Maxillary premolars
E.Mandibular molars..

Doubled rooted mandibular lateral incisor, so, i will eliminate the choice of the (a).
C-shped root canal variation find at mandibular molars, maxillary molars, and mandibular first premolar. so, eliminate the choices of the (c) and (e).
There is a variation on Maxillary second premolar. For this reason, access preparation of max second premolar can be same prep. as max first premolar. so, eliminate the choice of the (d).

I will answer (b)?
I should definitely look into this question when I go over the ASDA.

Hi All, currently studying for NBDE 1 and was hoping someone could help me with this question, I searched all my notes, wiki, books and couldn't figure it, it seems fairly easy but i just can't get the connection:

which of the following represents the correct size and caracteristics of the nerve fibers that conduct sensory input of pain from the oral-facial region?

a. large diameter myelinated
b. small diameter myelinated
c. large diameter unmyelinated
d. small diameter unmyelinated

answer is d

are they talking about the Adelta and C fibers? if so, I know that Adelta are myelinated and C fibers are unmyelinated, so why are they calling both unmylinated??? and A fibers are large diameter while C are small diameter but both are used for pain so how do you know which one are they talking about???please help , thanks in advance