Official NBDE Part 1 Study Q & A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all study questions/answers for the NBDE Part 1 in this thread. Good luck!

As a side note, this is not the place for sales ads. Discussion of remembered questions appearing on the exam is also not permitted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
A patient 's mother complaint that her child's upper front teeth rest in front of his lower lip. You explain to her this is called:
a. Overjet
b. Overbite
c. Underjet
d. Open bite
The answer in decks is written as overjet but i think it should be overbite. What say?

anyone who can help me in this?

it has got to b overjet as the horizontal overlap is more and can cause a lip trap. if there is an increase in vertical overlap, then the lip wouldn come under upper anterior teeth.

it has got to b overjet as the horizontal overlap is more and can cause a lip trap. if there is an increase in vertical overlap, then the lip wouldn come under upper anterior teeth.
thanks.........

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone help in teeth affected by tetracyclines at 5 yrs of age ? reason too plz.

Tetracycline affects teeth erupting 1-2 yrs after its administration...So in this case teeth erupting at 6-7 yrs of age would be affected which are Mand Centrals and 1st Molars

1) In centric relation, the cusp tip of the distolingual cusp of the permanent mandibular first molar

a) contacts the distolingual surface of the opposing tooth.
b)contacts the lingual groove of the opposing molar.
c)ascends above the middle third of the opposing crown.
d) functions above the plane of orientation.
e)has no antagonist.

answer is E. how is this possible??

there is no contact in premolars, but we know disto-lingual cusps contact lingual grooves... so i think should be answer B!!

2) In lateral excursion on a patient with ideal occlusion, the mesial cusp ridge of the mandibular first premolar contacts the

a)distolingual surface of the maxillary canine.
b)distolingual slope of the buccal cusp of the maxillary first premolar.
c)mesiolingual slope of the buccal cusp of the maxillary first premolar.
d) None of the above

this one i had an idea was C, and thats the right answer.. but if i really try to understand it, i dont get it completely...We know that on ideal occlusion 1 premolar of mandibular teeth ocludes on mesial triangular fossa of max 1 premolar and distal marginal ridge of max canine, but my doubt is why not answer d????? i think that the contact will be on the distolingual slope and not on the mesiolingual slope..

thanks

3) i ve never heard of eskimo teeth!!!

A V-shaped incipient enamel extension coronoradicularly on a crown may be found

a)crossing the cervical line on the mesial surface of a deciduous molar.
b) to be the etiological factor for localized periodontal disease.
c) in bifurcated areas of any multirooted teeth and commonly on Eskimo teeth.
d) routinely on the mesial surface of a maxillary first premolar and will be pathogenically involved.

answer c is the right answer

Thank you!!I ll be glad to be helped..

hello
i have a few doubts
glucagon has all of the following actions except

a)increases plasma glucose
b)inc plasma free fattyacids and ketoacids
c)decreases plasma aminoacids
d)increases urea production
the answer in decks is c but the explanation says increased plasma amino acid promotes glucagon secretion
should it be b since it has no effect on fatty acids
can youll pls help me

I do not know about
T rna anti codon and m rna codon.

Can anybody help me to figure out how should this work .? For nbde part 1 exam.

Very appreciate for ur time.

Thanx

hi i am planning to take exam in the mid of july and have done kaplan and dental decks one time only, could any one help me, i am so stressed.

thanks

Hi All,

I need help on this que

Which of the following has shown to have a relationship to carcinoma of the cervix?

a) Papovavirus
b) Varicella zoster virus
c) Herpes hominis type 1
d) Herpes hominis type 2 ( ans )
e) None of the above

I thought the answer was papovavirus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all..ther's a question there in decks Ethics part where i am stuck at...its the 5th one there..it says."WHEN OBTAINING INFORMED CONSENT,THE PATIENT MUST BE INFORMED OF ALL EXCEPT 1"
A DESCRIPTN OF PROPOSED TRTMNT
B COST OF TRTMNT
C FORSEEABLE RISKS
D BENEFITS AND PROGNOSIS OF PROPOSED TRTMNT
E ALTERNATIVE TRTMNTS
F RISKS,BENEFIT,PROGNOSIS OF ALTERNATIVE TRTMNT

Ans is COST OF TRTMNT while in the explanation they hv made a list of things to be included in the written trtmnt plan in which COST is also there...Can sm1 plz explain it 2 me??Thanks..

Treatment plan is DIFFERENT with informed consent.

Hi all..ther's a question there in decks Ethics part where i am stuck at...its the 5th one there..it says."WHEN OBTAINING INFORMED CONSENT,THE PATIENT MUST BE INFORMED OF ALL EXCEPT 1"
A DESCRIPTN OF PROPOSED TRTMNT
B COST OF TRTMNT
C FORSEEABLE RISKS
D BENEFITS AND PROGNOSIS OF PROPOSED TRTMNT
E ALTERNATIVE TRTMNTS
F RISKS,BENEFIT,PROGNOSIS OF ALTERNATIVE TRTMNT

Ans is COST OF TRTMNT while in the explanation they hv made a list of things to be included in the written trtmnt plan in which COST is also there...Can sm1 plz explain it 2 me??Thanks..

The keyword in the question is MUST. All of those things need to be in the informed consent except cost of treatment. The list on the back is stuff that should/could be included, but some of those, like cost, are not required. This is according to Dr. Lozier.

A patient 's mother complaint that her child's upper front teeth rest in front of his lower lip. You explain to her this is called:
a. Overjet
b. Overbite
c. Underjet
d. Open bite
The answer in decks is written as overjet but i think it should be overbite. What say?

it is an overjet, it is a horizontal relationship, if you look at the person from the side, the teeth are proclined, but if its an overbite, the upper teeth in some cases will almost cover the lower ones.

The most important risk factor for cervical cancer is infection with a virus known as HPV-2 (human papilloma virus).

This Q was originally posted by rayman on 4-18-2010 in the thread -
Lets discuss Q's of NBDE 1 (which is still open but locked for new posts)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By rayman
hi
which of these is a nucleotide?
A-RIBOSE
B-URACIL
C-ADENOSINE
D-THYMIDYLATE
THANK IN ADVANCE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ rayman - Ans- D-THYMIDYLATE

Yes. Thymidylate is a nucleotide. dTMP is a deoxyribonucleotide comprised of thymine, the pentose sugar deoxyribose and phosphate. It is the only nucleotide unique to DNA.

Hey Jalika,

Let's think this through, So insulin has an anabolic effect right? So it tends to favor glucose transport, uptake and glycogen syntheses. So if we look at the answers give. I would say insulin inhibits gluconeogenesis enzymes which are d & e. It also inhibits glycogen breakdown. SO it inhibits glycogen phosphorylase, so there goes answer b. My guess would be that it stimulates glycolysis and break down of glucose in the target cell.I think the answer is (c). Please anyone correct me if I am wrong.
Insulin alters the concentration of fructose 2,6-bisphosphate, which in turn dramatically alters the activity of phosphofructokinase and fructose 1,6-bisphosphatase.

Hi all,
I have a query. I am confused regarding the validity of the 2012-13 dental desks. I have 2009-10. Do u think its the same with minor difference or is it worth buying the new ones. Have mixed reviews from different forums. :scared:
Thanks.

hey i think you should purchase the latest decks that is 2013 there are changes in the editions and those minor changes to make a little difference in your exam.

How do u tell if a tooth is right or left by looking at the crown for instance a mandibular first molar the lingual side is towards me and I see the buccal cusps and the small distal cusp also?

Hi. Can you check the question 126 in the test booklet I-N (2000-2008). I am not sure abt the inclination for mandibular pre-molars.. Its given as facial..
I guess its Lingual.
Please verify.

Can somebody help me with the materials they are studying from?
I am going to be giving my part 1 in december and i feel as if i have not studied enough.
So far i am studying from decks, crack the nbde, and the kaplan book.
Could use a study partner as well.
Please email at [email protected] if you have any extra material that i can study from or let me know of any extra material.
Thank you

Hi, how was your exam if you've appeared for it.
Also if you haven't do you still need a study partner?

Hi guys I just have the part 1. I found it really difficult much more so than the asda papers. A lot of questions on TMJ. Movements and blood supply. Upper limb. Biochemistry was sparse although a lot of questions on DNA replication and mutations. A lot of questions on tooth eruption but none direct and contacts as well. The testlets were a mixture of all subjects. As in for the scenario described you must know everything. A lot on drugs interactions sideffects. I have no idea what to expect for the result. :( I don't wanna go through this again.

There are groups on facebook with question and answers for afk prep and afk 2014. I came across a school tccds and they have mock exams available at there school in jan/14 and over skype . Thinking about taking it. I don't want to fail for the 2nd time. Anyone know of them?

Hi I am looking for released exams from part 1 where can I find them my exam is in February? Please help me?

which of the following represents the sensory organs concerned with maintenance of skeletal muscle tons?
A. sarcomers
B. Muscle spindles
C. Gama efferents
D. Pacinian corpuscles
E. Golgi tendon organs

All of the following structures lie superficial to the hypoglossus muscle except:
A. lingual nerve
B. lingual artery
c. hypoglossal nerve
d. submandibular duct

Can someone please explain which one the correct answer is? Thanks!

Hi I am looking for released exams from part 1 where can I find them my exam is in February? Please help me?
You don need released exams to pass. I took the NBDE part 1 in dec 21 of 2013 and I passed. I just studied with dental decks 2013-1014 and a lot of wikipedia. if you have any question just tell me, good luck.

Hi guys I just have the part 1. I found it really difficult much more so than the asda papers. A lot of questions on TMJ. Movements and blood supply. Upper limb. Biochemistry was sparse although a lot of questions on DNA replication and mutations. A lot of questions on tooth eruption but none direct and contacts as well. The testlets were a mixture of all subjects. As in for the scenario described you must know everything. A lot on drugs interactions sideffects. I have no idea what to expect for the result. :( I don't wanna go through this again.
Hi, I felt the same. I just took the NBDE part 1 in dec 21/2013. I was so sad because the exam was so hard, especially the biochemistry questions. I was waiting for the results 4 weeks and I passed :). I hope you did well.

Hi, I felt the same. I just took the NBDE part 1 in dec 21/2013. I was so sad because the exam was so hard, especially the biochemistry questions. I was waiting for the results 4 weeks and I passed :). I hope you did well.
Hey! congrats on passing! I did too :) part 2 here we come :) lemme know if you'd like to be study partners

Hi guys!
I am studying here and I faced this question:

Each of the following embriologic structures is derived from the first branchial arch EXCEPT one. Which one is EXCEPTION?
A) Tuberculum impar
B) Maxillary process
C) Mandibular Process
D) Intermaxillary process (answer)
E) Lateral lingual swelling

Ok, the answer says that is letter "D", but where does the intermaxillary process comes from?

Anyone who already wrote the exam remember if the questions were evenly distriuted? I.e. more emphasis placed on anatomy/occlusion than on biochem/physio

All of the following structures lie superficial to the hypoglossus muscle except:
A. lingual nerve
B. lingual artery
c. hypoglossal nerve
d. submandibular duct

Can someone please explain which one the correct answer is? Thanks!
It's B. Lingual artery - it lies deep (medial) to both hyoglossus and mylohyoid
Hope this helps!