Official NBDE Part 1 Study Q & A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all study questions/answers for the NBDE Part 1 in this thread. Good luck!

As a side note, this is not the place for sales ads. Discussion of remembered questions appearing on the exam is also not permitted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
hi do u know which part of condyle articulates with mandibular fossa?

anterior-lateral
anterosuperior
posteromedial

can anyone help me,? i dont understand the following question........

The space between the jaws into which the teeth erupt is provided by growth at the
1. alveolar processes.
2. mandibular condyles
3. intermaxillary suture and the mental symphysis.
4. sphenomaxillary, the frontomaxillary and the zygomaticomaxillary suture.

the answer is no. 2.... i dont understand,,, ,, can anyone explain for me,,,,,,,
with appreciation

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone help me,? i dont understand the following question........

The space between the jaws into which the teeth erupt is provided by growth at the
1. alveolar processes.
2. mandibular condyles
3. intermaxillary suture and the mental symphysis.
4. sphenomaxillary, the frontomaxillary and the zygomaticomaxillary suture.

the answer is no. 2.... i dont understand,,, ,, can anyone explain for me,,,,,,,
with appreciation
growth centre of mandible is condyle...so d answer is correct

A 0.2 mole/ Liter NaCl solution and a 0.2 mole/Liter glucose solution are separated by a membrane that is impermeable to these solutes but is permeable to water. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
A. There will be no net movement of water to either solution.
B. Water will go from the glucose to the saline solution.
C. Water will go from the saline to the glucose solution.
D. Concentration of glucose will decrease.
E. Concentration of NaCl will increase.

Can anyone help me,,,, with super thanks........

anterior-lateral
anterosuperior
posteromedial
i think d answer is antero superior portion of condyle which articulates with the concave part of d mandibular fossa...correct me if am wrong

A 0.2 mole/ Liter NaCl solution and a 0.2 mole/Liter glucose solution are separated by a membrane that is impermeable to these solutes but is permeable to water. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
A. There will be no net movement of water to either solution.
B. Water will go from the glucose to the saline solution.
C. Water will go from the saline to the glucose solution.
D. Concentration of glucose will decrease.
E. Concentration of NaCl will increase.

Can anyone help me,,,, with super thanks........

NaCl will dissolve into two parts and glucose stays as one part so the oncontic pressure is greater of the Na and Cl over the glucose so the answer is B.

anterior-lateral
anterosuperior
posteromedial
I think its posteromedial as mandible condyle contacts with a wider area on the posterior side. I also contacts superiorly. but anterior contact is minimal (according to okesson)

NaCl will dissolve into two parts and glucose stays as one part so the oncontic pressure is greater of the Na and Cl over the glucose so the answer is B.

because glucose has only glucose in solution but NaCl has Na+ and Cl- so the solution of nacl has more osmotic pressure then the glucose solution. so it will pulls the water in nacl from glucose.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
The patient calls the day following the endodontic procedure complaining of pain at the local
anesthesia injection site and inability to open fully. The most likely cause is
A. spasm of the temporalis muscle.
B. trauma to the inferior alveolar nerve.
C. injection into the medial pterygoid muscle.
D. damage to the facial nerve during the injection

can anyone lemme kno the ans?

i choose A

the treated tooth is 19 btw

Last edited:
I think you are right , coz muscles involved in opening are medial and lateral pterygoid . Moreover if facial nerve is damaged then it can lead to paralysis. more ropably the answer is medial pterygoid.
If I am wrong , plz do correct

which of the following is a sequela of cirrhosis?
a)alcoholism
b)biliary obstruction
c)infectious hepatitis
d)congestive heart failure
1) a, b, c
2 )a, b, d
3) a, c, d
4) b, c , d
5) any of the above
the answer is 1 but cant it be 5) as congestive heart failure causes cirrhosis, pls explain
thank u

Each of the following has painless hematuria except?
1)acute diffuse glomerulonephritis
2)carcinoma of the bladder
3)focal glomerulonephritis
4)renal cell carcinoma
5)nephrolithiasis
which is the answer? thank you

Each of the following has painless hematuria except?
1)acute diffuse glomerulonephritis
2)carcinoma of the bladder
3)focal glomerulonephritis
4)renal cell carcinoma
5)nephrolithiasis
which is the answer? thank you

the answer is 5 ........nephrolithiasis is associated with sever pain (renal colic)

which of the following is a sequela of cirrhosis?
a)alcoholism
b)biliary obstruction
c)infectious hepatitis
d)congestive heart failure
1) a, b, c
2 )a, b, d
3) a, c, d
4) b, c , d
5) any of the above
the answer is 1 but cant it be 5) as congestive heart failure causes cirrhosis, pls explain
thank u

which of the following is the usual cause of chronic pyelonephritis?
a) systemic hypertension
b) type IV hypersensitivity
c) chronic glomerulonephritis
d) bacteremic seeding of the kidneys
thank u

Which is the mesial proximal contact on the maxillary canine ? It is
1 located on the cervical third.
2 larger than the distal contact
3 smaller that the distal contact
4 located at the same level as the distal contact
5 located more cervically that the distal contact
help me please with this question.

22 Integration of the F factor plasmid into the chromosome?

A Is essential in order for the chromosome to be transferred during conjugation
B Is essential in order for the F factor to be transferred during conjugation
C leads to the formation of F pill
D produces a mutation????
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorshell
F-plasmids only encode for F-pili. You guys such watch out for bandwagoning onto clearly wrong answers and possibly try actually researching things for yourself. It's much, much easier to type "F-plasmid" into google than it is to ask about it on here, and clearly the results are more accurate...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-plasmid
So whats the answer because some ppl say its B others say its D...In the micro/patho nuggets it says B but in other post its D... Whats the real answer???

Certain donor strains of bacteria transfer genes with high efficiency. In this case, the F factor acts as an episome and integrates itself into the bacterial chromosome. Under these conditions, chromosomal genes are transferred to the recipient cell, and the donor is called a high frequency of recombination (Hfr) donor. During normal conjugation, the donor cell can become a recipient cell if the F factor is transferred during the conjugation. However, during Hfr conjugation, the F factor is rarely transmitted, and the recipient cell does not become a donor cell. The exception occurs if the complete chromosome is transferred, a process requiring about 100 minutes in E. coli. In this case, the F factor is transferred and the recipient becomes a donor cell. http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_gu...tions.topicArticleId-8524,articleId-8434.html

Im comfused??? If a plasmid is integrated into a chromosome then wouldnt it cause a mutation???

thanks in advance...

smaller than distal contact

Hey everybody,
While going over questions I came by a certain controversy regarding the contacts of canines in (normal) occlusion... whenever there's a question asking which teeth come in contact with upper/lower canines - should the answer follow the normal "counterpart tooth and mesial/distal tooth"?? because according to kaplan they are NEVER in contact!

e.g:
In normal occlusion, the permanent maxillary canine comes in contact with the...
(according to kaplan the answer would be - it does not come in contact, but rather lies in the embrassure. according to ASDA papers/exam master the answer is - mandibular canine + mandibular PM1)

please help...
tnx :)
andy

heey everyone
my exam is on monday
any suggestions what to do through the week end
i have a bad news :( i have never heard about the ASDA thing and i just read about it here
is it soo important shall i delay my exam for a while and can some one provide it fast or what is the way to get it .. i feel confi but this thing stressed me now
thanks

if the spinal tract of the trigeminal nerve is cut at the level of the caudal medulla, which one of the following will be affected? the answer is - pain from ipsilateral side of the face.

anyone can explain this to me? why ipsilateral?

There is a card in the decks (Dental Anatomy and Occlusion - C/C) that says on the front "All posterior teeth have proximal contacts in the : Middle Third". On the back of this card, it says:

"All Molars have contacts lower in the middle 1/3 than premolars".

bt distal contacts are more cervical than mesial contacts

heey everyone
my exam is on monday
any suggestions what to do through the week end
i have a bad news :( i have never heard about the ASDA thing and i just read about it here
is it soo important shall i delay my exam for a while and can some one provide it fast or what is the way to get it .. i feel confi but this thing stressed me now
thanks
hi, how did ur exam go?

The mesial contact of the maxillary canine is smaller compared to the distal contact according to "Concise dental anatomy and morphology" by Fuller, Denehy, and Schulein.

Last edited:
I think you are right , coz muscles involved in opening are medial and lateral pterygoid . Moreover if facial nerve is damaged then it can lead to paralysis. more ropably the answer is medial pterygoid.
If I am wrong , plz do correct

hi there,
when you inject the needle penetrates the pterygomandibular space, which is b/w the medial pterygoid muscle and the masseter muscle (separated by the ramus of the mandible). If the needle goes too poteriorly it reaches the parotid, however if you happen to inject too inferiorly you can hit the medial pterygoid. which is the answer.

hi everybody,
i got 2 questions.
first is - while doing the papers (esp the old ones) i noticed couple of questions in micro about viruses causing cervical cancer, and the answer was "herpes type 2" (and not papilloma type 16,18 - even though they were both included in the answers!) --- so, is it a mistake? what should i choose in the exam if given the option b/w HSV2 and HPV??

second, in DA - the contacts points of the mandibular teeth (as written in the decks) are: II,II,IM,MM...

however, in the papers they always say that the distal contact point on the lateral incisor is more cervical... anybody has some clue about this??
tnx!

hi everybody,
i got 2 questions.
first is - while doing the papers (esp the old ones) i noticed couple of questions in micro about viruses causing cervical cancer, and the answer was "herpes type 2" (and not papilloma type 16,18 - even though they were both included in the answers!) --- so, is it a mistake? what should i choose in the exam if given the option b/w HSV2 and HPV??

second, in DA - the contacts points of the mandibular teeth (as written in the decks) are: II,II,IM,MM...

however, in the papers they always say that the distal contact point on the lateral incisor is more cervical... anybody has some clue about this??
tnx!
According to this paper in J.epidemiology- Herpes Simplex 2 increases risk of cervical cancer. HPV 16,18 is also known to cause cervical cancer as well.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/156/8/687.long
http://www.higherlearningtechnology.com

Hi, guys. Here is a question from released paper.

Which of the following conditions is least likely to have clinical signs and symptoms?
A. pyemia
B. toxemia
C. septicemia
D. bacteremia

I think it should be D but Im not sure. Please correct me if Im worry. Thanks!!:)

Hi, guys. Here is a question from released paper.

Which of the following conditions is least likely to have clinical signs and symptoms?
A. pyemia
B. toxemia
C. septicemia
D. bacteremia

I think it should be D but Im not sure. Please correct me if Im worry. Thanks!!:)
Bacteremia is the ans...

Can anybody plz explain why is there ipsilateral paralaysis when there is injury to hypoglossal nerve?:confused:

hi guys!
taking the test in a couple of weeks!
does anyone have the ASDA test N? bc i only have A thru M
also, can the people who took the test in the last couple of months remember a few questions to help the rest of us?
THANK YOU! God bless you all and good luck with your exams!
:love:

A patient 's mother complaint that her child's upper front teeth rest in front of his lower lip. You explain to her this is called:
a. Overjet
b. Overbite
c. Underjet
d. Open bite
The answer in decks is written as overjet but i think it should be overbite. What say?