Official NBDE Part 1 Study Q & A Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post all study questions/answers for the NBDE Part 1 in this thread. Good luck!

As a side note, this is not the place for sales ads. Discussion of remembered questions appearing on the exam is also not permitted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I passed. My score is not high ( 83 only ). But it's to tough for me because I have been learning english for 1.5 years only.
Thank God, this forum and all of you!
wow congrats Hatico...dont be upset its a very good score...u did well...mine s in 3 weeks...iam trying to stay calm :) ...anyways all the very best...

hey guys..tooth no 32 drain into submandibular gland or deep cervical lymph nodes initially?

1st submandibular....which ultimately drains into Deep cervical.
Good luck to u Pookan! Hope you succeed! Wait for your feedbck!:thumbup:

1st submandibular....which ultimately drains into Deep cervical.
Good luck to u Pookan! Hope you succeed! Wait for your feedbck!:thumbup:
sure will do...thankz...
abt the quest , thts wht i thought but check out quest no 170 in L series....it says as it initially drain in deep cervical nodes...can u confirm it plz..thankz..

Members don't see this ad :)
which of the following would likely be increased in a hyperthyroid patient?
-intestinal calcium absorption
-renal calicum excretion (ans)
both can happen right?

which of the following would likely be increased in a hyperthyroid patient?
-intestinal calcium absorption
-renal calicum excretion (ans)
both can happen right?

Direct effects of Hyper-PTH-increased intestinal calcium absorption
Indirect effects(compensatory effects)-increased renal calcium excretion.

The question isnt asking about any compensatory effects....Its a straight answer. I would have gone for 2nd if the 1st(direct effect) wasnt in the list.:cool:

which of the following could be beneficial in reducing edema in arms of woman who have had radial mastectomy with removal of axillary lymph nodes

A.hypertensive agents
B. Avoidance of all diuretic agents
C. increased intestinal oncotic pressure
D. decerese intestinal hydrostatic pressure
E. administration of plasma volume expander

plz explain ans given E

which of the following could be beneficial in reducing edema in arms of woman who have had radial mastectomy with removal of axillary lymph nodes

A.hypertensive agents
B. Avoidance of all diuretic agents
C. increased intestinal oncotic pressure
D. decerese intestinal hydrostatic pressure
E. administration of plasma volume expander

plz explain ans given E

The very term "volume expander" gives it all. They function to increase the blood volume....Now incase of edema...they increase the blood volume by pulling in the interstitial fluid into the plasma. Therefore decrease the edema.

i'm planning to appear for the exam next year, can anyone please tell me that can i go on my brother'e dependent visa or VISITOR'S VISA?

Looking for study partner for nbde part1.want to give by december 2011 or in 2012.anyone from illinois would be a good option.

It's one of Old exam Q of 1977 Dental anatomy.

31. In an ideal occlusal relationship, when an exaggerated Bennett component is present in lateral jaw movement, it will have its greatest potential for interference with the

1. mesiodistal positioning of cusp tips
2. buccolingual positioning of cusp tips
3. position of the central fossa
4. depth of the distal fossa

The answer is 1.

What the bennett component indicates? Is it bennett angle or movement?
Could you explain how the answer could be?

epiphyseal plate is hyaline cartilage, so which one is right way?
interstitial growth or appostitional growth.

Members don't see this ad :)
looking for study partner anyone interested can private me or call me,thanks.

In a xerostomic patient which salivary
gland(s) is/are most likely responsible for the
lack of lubrication?
A. Accessory.
B. Labial.
C. Parotid.
D. Sublingual and submandibular.

A patient with xerostomia complains that he
has to sip water when chewing food. Which
salivary gland(s) is most likely responsible for
the lack of lubrication?
A. Submandibular.
B. Labial.
C. Parotid.
D. Sublingual.

Please Explain :confused:

‎1)What is the net charge on glutamic acid at a PH of 1?
a- +2
B- +1
C- 0
d- -1
e- -2

How to find answer for this question????:rolleyes:

lack of lubrication?
A. Accessory.
B. Labial.
C. Parotid.

the lack of lubrication?
A. Submandibular.
B. Labial.
C. Parotid.
D. Sublingual.

Submandibular Gland

you mean in both questions ?

submandibular gland is the answer becoz it secrete major ammount of saliva in oral cavity aprox 60% ..then parotid 30% and rest is from sublingual and accesory glands .................
and saliva which is secreted by sub mand . gland is rich in mucin as it is has more mucous acini ( mucin helps in lubrication) ..therefore ans in sub mand gland.

where the sphenoid air sinuses drain ...is it in superior meatus or directly in throat ?

Sphenoetmoidal recess: Is located above the superior concha and contain the opening for the sphenoid sinus.

Superior meatus: posterior etmoidal air cells
Middle meatus:
1)Hiatus semilunaris: anterior etmoidal air cells, frontal and maxillary sinuses
2)Bula etmoidalis: middle etmoidal air cells
Inferior meatus: nasolacrimal duct.

Ps. I read it from kaplan lecture notes and also saw it on acland's dvd :)

i have been searching on these forums trying to find an answer to my question...

a friend gave me a TON of old test questions for NBDE part 1. before i share them with my classmates i want to make sure that im not breaking copyright laws.

i see a lot of discussion about what is allowed and not allowed to be distributed. does anyone know what exactly the rules are? is it only illegal if it is one of ASDA's 1G to 1N booklets they sell? or is it more strict than that? our dental school is pretty strict on honor code so i really dont want to break any copyright laws and get in trouble. she gave me stuff that is individual sections-dental anatomy, micro, anatomy, etc, broken down into individual sections and the tests only go up until 1998. is that OK to distribute or covered by copyright laws?

Sphenoetmoidal recess: Is located above the superior concha and contain the opening for the sphenoid sinus.

Superior meatus: posterior etmoidal air cells
Middle meatus:
1)Hiatus semilunaris: anterior etmoidal air cells, frontal and maxillary sinuses
2)Bula etmoidalis: middle etmoidal air cells
Inferior meatus: nasolacrimal duct.

Ps. I read it from kaplan lecture notes and also saw it on acland's dvd :)

Thanks , in decks 2009-2010 edition it is given that it is opens directly in the throat..

I'm going to take part I on 24 OCT.

BUT 2010 Dental decks of dental anatomy #109 seems wrongto me that

# 109 In a laterotrusive movement(working,right or left), the lingual cusp of a maxillary second premolar pass through the facial embrasure between the second premolar and the first molar.

ISN'T IT Lingual embrasure ???

PLS HELP !!!

Sympathetic venoconstriction can increase cardiac output by increasing
Afterload
Preload
Inotropic state
Heart rate

Answer is preload, i cant it be afterload

Sympathetic venoconstriction can increase cardiac output by increasing
Afterload
Preload
Inotropic state
Heart rate

Answer is preload, i cant it be afterload

Remember preload is mostly dtermined by venous return, venous constriction=increased venous return meaning more blood into atria and ventricles and hence systemic circulation.

Remember also that Frank-Starling mechanism says that venous return (preload) has a greater effect on CO than does TPR (afterload).

Hope this helps :)

Yup thank you dentdreamer
Here is another one

the final product of the β-oxidation of a fatty acid containing 15 carbon atoms is

A Acetyl CoA
B Propionyl CoA
C Acetoacetyl CoA
D Palmityl CoA
E Malonyl CoA

Answer given is propionyl coa why not acetyl coa

Yup thank you dentdreamer
Here is another one

the final product of the β-oxidation of a fatty acid containing 15 carbon atoms is

A Acetyl CoA
B Propionyl CoA
C Acetoacetyl CoA
D Palmityl CoA
E Malonyl CoA

Answer given is propionyl coa why not acetyl coa
Because it is a fatty acid with an odd number of carbons (15)

Does anybody know the fastest way to memorize time of teeth eruption, calcification etc.????? Please help me!!!!! My exam is coming so soon but I still can't memorize it!!! I guess am tired from all this studying

I1 I2 M1 C M2 (primary dentition)
6 9 12 18 24 months

M1 I1 I2 C PM1 PM2 M2 M3 Permanent mandibular
6 6 7 10 10 11 12 20 years

M1 I1 I2 PM1 PM2 C M2 M3 permanent maxillary
6 6 7 10 10 11 12 20 years

Where is Vitamin B12 absorbed? Some books say Stmoach, others go with ileum.

lack of lubrication?
A. Accessory.
B. Labial.
C. Parotid.

the lack of lubrication?
A. Submandibular.
B. Labial.
C. Parotid.
D. Sublingual.

answers : 1 submandibilar & sublingual coz they are the glands which secrete mucus containing saliva which is responsible for lubrication.
2. submandibular coz though it is a mixed gland but it is predominantly mucus & secretes more quantity of saliva per unit time than sublingual. I wouldnt go for sublingual here for the lower salivary secretion rates.

please someone correct me if i am wrong on them.

Where is Vitamin B12 absorbed? Some books say Stmoach, others go with ileum.
Vitamin B12 is absorbed in the ILEUM (some books says terminal ileum to be more specific), but it needs intrinsic factor (secreted by the parietal cells of the STOMACH) in order to be absorbed (maybe there is where you got confused) Hope this helps :)

answers : 1 submandibilar & sublingual coz they are the glands which secrete mucus containing saliva which is responsible for lubrication.
2. submandibular coz though it is a mixed gland but it is predominantly mucus & secretes more quantity of saliva per unit time than sublingual. I wouldnt go for sublingual here for the lower salivary secretion rates.

please someone correct me if i am wrong on them.
I like your answers but in number 1 I would say submandibular and sublingual because they account for the 67% of saliva production (that alone would give you the answer).

You did a great job, but just wanted to point something out. Submandibular secretion is predominantly SEROUS.

Vitamin B12 is absorbed in the ILEUM (some books says terminal ileum to be more specific), but it needs intrinsic factor (secreted by the parietal cells of the STOMACH) in order to be absorbed (maybe there is where you got confused) Hope this helps :)
Exactly. Thanks for help.

I like your answers but in number 1 I would say submandibular and sublingual because they account for the 67% of saliva production (that alone would give you the answer).

You did a great job, but just wanted to point something out. Submandibular secretion is predominantly SEROUS.

thanx :) but everywhere i read its submandibular gland a predominantly mucus gland. Even if u see histologically, it has musuc acini capped with serous demilunes...that itself implies mucus secreting portions are way more than serous.its in all the decks,kaplan notes n text books...

Neural crest derivatives

renal medulla
cells of adrenal cortex
preganglionic sympthatic cell bodies
postganglionic sympthatic cell bodies
preganglionic parasympth...

thanx :) but everywhere i read its submandibular gland a predominantly mucus gland. Even if u see histologically, it has musuc acini capped with serous demilunes...that itself implies mucus secreting portions are way more than serous.its in all the decks,kaplan notes n text books...
A while back while reading anatomy (which was my first subject and I hardly remember), in some books I found that it was mainly mucous and others stated that it was mainly serous, so I referred my dear friend wikipedia which says that it is mainly serous. Anyways, If while studying you find that it is definitely more mucous than serous please let me know, my exam is around the corner. Here is the link for the wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submandibular_gland. Good luck and hope this helps :)

A while back while reading anatomy (which was my first subject and I hardly remember), in some books I found that it was mainly mucous and others stated that it was mainly serous, so I referred my dear friend wikipedia which says that it is mainly serous. Anyways, If while studying you find that it is definitely more mucous than serous please let me know, my exam is around the corner. Here is the link for the wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submandibular_gland. Good luck and hope this helps :)

Hey!Thanx. I checked the article. It sure says predominantly serous but i am absolutely confused about what to follow. Will try to confirm from several places and the majority wins. :) When are you taking the exam? Mine is in a few days too. Anything specific to be done for last 15 days revision please do tell me. Good Luck.

All the major organ systems are at risk from the severe blood pressure elevations present in malignant hypertension, but which of the following organs seem to be most at risk.
1. ears lung heart
2. liver kidney pancreas
3. kidneys eye brain
4. eyes heart stomach

I know for sure kidney is the most affected organ in hypertension, more so in malignant hypertension but which one to choose from 2 & 3 ?
Please explain.

All the major organ systems are at risk from the severe blood pressure elevations present in malignant hypertension, but which of the following organs seem to be most at risk.
1. ears lung heart
2. liver kidney pancreas
3. kidneys eye brain
4. eyes heart stomach

I know for sure kidney is the most affected organ in hypertension, more so in malignant hypertension but which one to choose from 2 & 3 ?
Please explain.
Kidneys eye brain , It cant be liver, because liver has dual blood supply.

it is predominantly serous...i got it wrong.thanx for correcting me.

@ Ricka 123. Any time :). As for what you posted earlier I really don't know what to advise you, My exam is in 2 weeks and I'm not done with my last subject yet. I'm planning to review my notes and the decks one more time and do some questions if I have time. Good luck and keep on studying :)