*Official MCAT September 9, 2017 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raavenclaw

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this test date, so I figured I would make one. If this thread already exists, let me know and I'll delete it.

I hope we can motivate and support each other! What have you guys been using to study, and how has it been going?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been doing Kaplan review, along with Qbanks and Section Banks. Taken Kaplan FLs 1 and 2 so far with these results:

FL 1: 505 (126, 128, 127, 124); 8 weeks before exam with minimal cumulative review

FL 2: 512 (129, 128, 128, 127); earlier today after a lot of cumulative review and practice

Does anyone know how the Kaplan scores have historically translated to AAMC scores? I don't want to get my hopes up prematurely only to find the scores are inflated.

I only have NS FL 1-4 since I am have my friends access. I might end up buying extra if I need more practice. I am pretty much doing one exam a week till test day, hopefully that doesn't burn me out...

How do you like Altius in general? Are there question style fairly similar to NS?

There are pros and cons to Altius, in my opinion. I feel like Altius has a lot more experimental passages, which I think will be more representative of AAMC. On the other hand, their questions/answers are super short, while NS question stems and answer choices can be pretty long. But Altius explanations are very thorough, and for someone who reviews her FLs really slowly over the course of 3-4 days, I appreciate the in-depth reviews. At the end of the day, I already purchased NS 1-6 and took Altius 1-2, so I don't have time to add more Altius FL's into my schedule. After NS FL 6 next week, I'll start the three AAMC FLs at one per week leading up to the exam.

I've been doing Kaplan review, along with Qbanks and Section Banks. Taken Kaplan FLs 1 and 2 so far with these results:

FL 1: 505 (126, 128, 127, 124); 8 weeks before exam with minimal cumulative review

FL 2: 512 (129, 128, 128, 127); earlier today after a lot of cumulative review and practice

Does anyone know how the Kaplan scores have historically translated to AAMC scores? I don't want to get my hopes up prematurely only to find the scores are inflated.

If I've understood correctly, Kaplan scores are notoriously deflated. If that 512 was taken under exam conditions at 8AM with only the predetermined breaks, you're in really good condition. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait okay so I'm a little bit confused. I bought the AAMC Bundle. Are those questions that come with it the "Question Packs" and then I buy the "Section Bank" separately?

Wait okay so I'm a little bit confused. I bought the AAMC Bundle. Are those questions that come with it the "Question Packs" and then I buy the "Section Bank" separately?

The Question Banks and Section Bank are both in the Bundle. The distinction is that the Question Banks are subject-specific with 5 starts each, while the Section Bank is a non subject-specific pack of 1000 questions (you pick the subject you want to do for 100 questions at the beginning of each of your ten starts). Also, the Section Bank questions represent the toughest practice questions the AAMC offers.

If I've understood correctly, Kaplan scores are notoriously deflated. If that 512 was taken under exam conditions at 8AM with only the predetermined breaks, you're in really good condition. Congrats!

Awesome! The 512 was indeed taken under exam conditions, minus a subconscious sip of my coffee cup during the P/S section.

The Question Banks and Section Bank are both in the Bundle. The distinction is that the Question Banks are subject-specific with 5 starts each, while the Section Bank is a non subject-specific pack of 1000 questions (you pick the subject you want to do for 100 questions at the beginning of each of your ten starts). Also, the Section Bank questions represent the toughest practice questions the AAMC offers.

I thought the SB had 300 questions?

Do you guys think it is better to study the new kaplan MCAT books released july 4th that are made for 2018-19? Or should I just stick to the 2017 ones.

Anyone applying this cycle and taking the test on this date? Have you submitted your primary? If so, how many schools did you apply to? Do you plan on applying to more after your score comes back?

Hey, has anyone done the AAMC Question Pack for Physics, Passage 2, Questions 7-12. I have a dumb question. How do you know which harmonic wave is which??

Hey, has anyone done the AAMC Question Pack for Physics, Passage 2, Questions 7-12. I have a dumb question. How do you know which harmonic wave is which??
I was confused about this too. I believe that due to the formula, f = Ffun*n (Ffun is the fundamental frequency), we know that each successive harmonic has a higher frequency. So the smallest frequency (large wavelength) is the 1st harmonic, largest frequency is the final harmonic (I think 3rd harmonic was the last one for that passage)

I was confused about this too. I believe that due to the formula, f = Ffun*n (Ffun is the fundamental frequency), we know that each successive harmonic has a higher frequency. So the smallest frequency (large wavelength) is the 1st harmonic, largest frequency is the final harmonic (I think 3rd harmonic was the last one for that passage)

Hmm okay, so is it safe to go by the rule that harmonic waves are in order from largest-smallest wavelength?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm okay, so is it safe to go by the rule that harmonic waves are in order from largest-smallest wavelength?

That makes sense according to that equation for fundamental frequency I wrote above, but if anyone else wants to chime in, go ahead. Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm often wrong haha

That makes sense according to that equation for fundamental frequency I wrote above, but if anyone else wants to chime in, go ahead. Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm often wrong haha

Haha, so I ended up spending time reviewing open and closed pipes last night and finally understand harmonic waves, so yes according to that equation I can think of it that way to determine which harmonic wave is which. Thank you for your help!

What have you guys been up to with a little over two weeks until the MCAT? Some people on SDN cram really hard the last couple of weeks, and others chill out a bit and focus on their weaknesses. I'm not sure which to do

Last edited:
What have you guys been up to with a little over two weeks until the MCAT? Some people on SDN cram really hard the last couple of weeks, and others chill out a bit and focus on their weaknesses. I'm not sure which to do
I'm reviewing my weaknesses

Is anyone here from NY? I heard Irma hurricane may be approaching east coast . I'm starting to freak out . September 9th last is officially the last day to take it for this coming cycle :rage:

Is anyone here from NY? I heard Irma hurricane may be approaching east coast . I'm starting to freak out . September 9th last is officially the last day to take it for this coming cycle :rage:

I believe they scheduled a make up (9/19) for the affected Houston takers. There were also some takers yesterday who had system issues and will have to be rescheduled as well. One group had computer that froze due to network issues. Another group had the power die at their center.

I can't see medical schools not honoring these make-up dates. In this age of social media and viral posts, it would be PR suicide to refuse to honor these make-up exams.

Put it out of your mind from now, and prepare as if the exam will be held as scheduled.

I'm in Florida....
Me too. Talked to Prometric today because my canceled exam was rescheduled for 9/9... but of course, ALL of FL is in Irma's eye. Was told if the hurricane is going to interfere with lives, it will be rescheduled courtesy of the Candidate Care Team at Prometric.

Me too. Talked to Prometric today because my canceled exam was rescheduled for 9/9... but of course, ALL of FL is in Irma's eye. Was told if the hurricane is going to interfere with lives, it will be rescheduled courtesy of the Candidate Care Team at Prometric.

I keep seeing your profile picture. That's a cute dog haha

Did they plan on letting us know any time soon...? Was kinda hoping to evacuate but if me trying to leave Miami as to not get stuck in the middle of a cat 5 hurricane means having to take in January.. not totally sure what to do

Did they say when we might know?

Did they plan on letting us know any time soon...?
Th was the date I was told (48 hrs pre-test); as I look at this morning's spaghetti plots, I believe I will be taking the exam on Sat.

If you are on EAST COAST of FL, PLEASE make sure your phone number with AAMC is and the MCAT registration is current. If there is a place for an alternate number, provide that. I was told that this is where Prometric will call you to reschedule.

For those on the east coast, please be safe, be prepared.

AAMC basically told me the same thing but prometric was really nice about it, I told them I wanted to evacuate asap and the lady at prometric told me if i have to go, go, and you will get an email followed by a call from the test center to reschedule. she said more than likely they will be closing centers in South Florida and letting us know by Friday (obviously) if not sooner because they know Florida is in a state of emergency and even if the storm hits sunday, they would not be proctoring exams saturday for obvious reasons. It takes them 24 hours to process a site closure and contact test takers so she said it's fine to leave because I'll likely recieve a call tomorrow or Friday but she made it sound like it's highly likely to be rescheduled. If you do leave and for some reason the test still happens you could just file an emergency request waiver and get a partial refund! It's already raining in Miami so whether it's flooding or power outages I doubt the center will be working on Saturday.

Hi so I just called Prometric and I was rescheduled to the September 19th exam. Plus I got the location in my city now.

Reactions: 2 users
Nervous as well!

Has anyone else not reached their target score on practice exams or is just me? :(

For reference, I have taken Kaplan exams and both AAMC score exams.. doing better on AAMC with score of 508. Ideally I want 510+. Also I live in Houston.. did not know there was an alternate date. Although I have to drive to a different city for my exam anyway smh.

Nervous as well!

Has anyone else not reached their target score on practice exams or is just me? :(

For reference, I have taken Kaplan exams and both AAMC score exams.. doing better on AAMC with score of 508. Ideally I want 510+. Also I live in Houston.. did not know there was an alternate date. Although I have to drive to a different city for my exam anyway smh.

People tend to do better (+2-3 pts) on the real thing so you might break 510!

I'm really nervous too, I've been really inconsistent with my scores- especially CARS and PS. I'd be happy with a balanced 510+ too

You guys should watch the Prometric testing tutorial video. It's really funny. Kind of like stock photos/bad acting

Nervous as well!

Hey what are you doing specifically to get you to 508? I feel like I know my stuff but when I get to the test I forget everything and don't think about my outside knowledge and find myself searching for answers, and I get anxious. Frustrating.

Hey what are you doing specifically to get you to 508? I feel like I know my stuff but when I get to the test I forget everything and don't think about my outside knowledge and find myself searching for answers, and I get anxious. Frustrating.
You should for sure work on relaxing. Anxiety is going to hinder your performance a lot. I actually took the MCAT once last year, but I did not do well at all (497). Although I know my study habits were not that great, I was also freaking out and had really bad anxiety. So first, I would just recommend trying to relax - take some deep breaths - and focus on what is in front of you. Do not think about anything other than what you're reading. For my scores to increase to where they are now (although it isn't super great), I took notes and then when I review, I re-read my notes. I know that probably doesn't sound too helpful one day before the exam, but reviewing major, high-yield topics would be good - and of course make sure you know all the amino acids and formulas. Idk which section is the worst for you, but I've found that a lot of the time in the sciences, I would freak out because whatever was being discussed was unfamiliar to me, but now I've realized that a lot of the answers are right in the passage, so just try to read the passage once thoroughly and then refer back for a detail. Also, keep in mind the direction the science passage is going - follow the trend of whatever is being discussed so you know what is going on. If it is asking something that is not directly stated in the passage, then it is most likely a high-yield topic of some specific thing that you should know. One problem I've had is just not reading carefully. Look out for key words and highlight if necessary. When I've reviewed exams, I've realized every time that I've missed certain words in the question stem that led to me choosing an incorrect answer, such as "not" or even words such as "prokaryote" (which led to me answering as eukaryote because for some reason I assumed that's what it was asking? lol). For CARS, what helped me improve that section is really focusing on what I am reading and leaving my personal opinion/ interpretation out. For example, there have been times I would read a passage and think "oh this detail seems important and would be an argument for X" - but, that may not be what the passage in GENERAL is getting towards - always figure out what the main goal of the passage is and always keep in mind what the author is saying. I hope this helps. Just try to relax though. We will be okay :)

You should for sure work on relaxing. Anxiety is going to hinder your performance a lot. I actually took the MCAT once last year, but I did not do well at all (497). Although I know my study habits were not that great, I was also freaking out and had really bad anxiety. So first, I would just recommend trying to relax - take some deep breaths - and focus on what is in front of you. Do not think about anything other than what you're reading. For my scores to increase to where they are now (although it isn't super great), I took notes and then when I review, I re-read my notes. I know that probably doesn't sound too helpful one day before the exam, but reviewing major, high-yield topics would be good - and of course make sure you know all the amino acids and formulas. Idk which section is the worst for you, but I've found that a lot of the time in the sciences, I would freak out because whatever was being discussed was unfamiliar to me, but now I've realized that a lot of the answers are right in the passage, so just try to read the passage once thoroughly and then refer back for a detail. Also, keep in mind the direction the science passage is going - follow the trend of whatever is being discussed so you know what is going on. If it is asking something that is not directly stated in the passage, then it is most likely a high-yield topic of some specific thing that you should know. One problem I've had is just not reading carefully. Look out for key words and highlight if necessary. When I've reviewed exams, I've realized every time that I've missed certain words in the question stem that led to me choosing an incorrect answer, such as "not" or even words such as "prokaryote" (which led to me answering as eukaryote because for some reason I assumed that's what it was asking? lol). For CARS, what helped me improve that section is really focusing on what I am reading and leaving my personal opinion/ interpretation out. For example, there have been times I would read a passage and think "oh this detail seems important and would be an argument for X" - but, that may not be what the passage in GENERAL is getting towards - always figure out what the main goal of the passage is and always keep in mind what the author is saying. I hope this helps. Just try to relax though. We will be okay :)
thank you! it helped a lot, I have started going back and looking at key words and was like where were you when I was doing the test lol, completely missed it. But the passage does follow a trend, so thats definitely something I'm noticing now. Since my test is cancelled, until September 19th cuz of the hurricane, I can work on fixing this stuff.

I feel a little nervous, but I'm excited to just get it over with.

I also haven't reached my goal score (514) on any FLs. I got a 512 on AAMC FL 2 last week, so I'm just going to take it and see what happens. Good luck everyone!!

I feel a little nervous, but I'm excited to just get it over with.

I also haven't reached my goal score (514) on any FLs. I got a 512 on AAMC FL 2 last week, so I'm just going to take it and see what happens. Good luck everyone!!
I would kill for that score! You'll be fine, I'll be happy to get it over with too