*Official MCAT September 9, 2017 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raavenclaw

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this test date, so I figured I would make one. If this thread already exists, let me know and I'll delete it.

I hope we can motivate and support each other! What have you guys been using to study, and how has it been going?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just started studying a week ago using BR! It's tough getting through the content but the practice questions have been really helpful with applying the material

Just started studying a week ago using BR! It's tough getting through the content but the practice questions have been really helpful with applying the material
That's awesome, good luck! I got the Kaplan books but I'm going to buy the NS full length exams and use the AAMC material.

Has anyone started taking practice tests yet? If so which ones? I want to try exam krackers practice tests, since their 101 CARS passages that just came out around November 2016 are awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone started taking practice tests yet? If so which ones? I want to try exam krackers practice tests, since their 101 CARS passages that just came out around November 2016 are awesome.
I took the free NS diagnostic (1/2 length) and the first free NS full-length. I was going to buy the first 6 NS FLs and then switch brands after those, if I needed to. Let me know what you think of EK :)

Started studying recently, using EK/Kaplan with NS and AAMC materials

Reactions: 1 users
I took the free NS diagnostic (1/2 length) and the first free NS full-length. I was going to buy the first 6 NS FLs and then switch brands after those, if I needed to. Let me know what you think of EK :)

I was also going to try NS FLs I heard good things about them! I was also thinking Altius for a few FLs too! My plan doesn't start FLs until mid July when I'm done with content review.

I will!

I just did an Altius free practice exam, and it definitely simulates the real mcat. But I have a timing issue. Trying to analyze convoluted questions, figures and passages in about 8 or 9 minutes. Does anyone have this problem right now?

I just did an Altius free practice exam, and it definitely simulates the real mcat. But I have a timing issue. Trying to analyze convoluted questions, figures and passages in about 8 or 9 minutes. Does anyone have this problem right now?
I did run into this problem on my first FL last week, but I took a second one today and I've gotten a little better at timing. I actually think doing passages untimed as I studied/practiced helped me a lot, even though it seems counterintuitive. I like to take my time working through denser passages, analyzing the questions and the answer choices, and predicting which passage content is likely to have related questions. I think I'll continue to practice untimed for now (except for FLs, obviously)

I did run into this problem on my first FL last week, but I took a second one today and I've gotten a little better at timing. I actually think doing passages untimed as I studied/practiced helped me a lot, even though it seems counterintuitive. I like to take my time working through denser passages, analyzing the questions and the answer choices, and predicting which passage content is likely to have related questions. I think I'll continue to practice untimed for now (except for FLs, obviously)
I like that idea, practice timing on full lengths since they are like the real test, and taking time to learn concepts and dense passages will work for me too

I just took NS 1 two weeks ago and I'm going to take NS 2 this upcoming Saturday. What did you think of NS 1? I'm also going to try to finish the first 6 NS's and then move onto EK. I don't want to bother with TPR

I just took NS 1 two weeks ago and I'm going to take NS 2 this upcoming Saturday. What did you think of NS 1? I'm also going to try to finish the first 6 NS's and then move onto EK. I don't want to bother with TPR

I'm worried that the NS scores are inflated compared to AAMC. I got a 508 on NS1, which was higher than I expected for myself. I plan to take the free Altius FL tomorrow and see how that score compares.

Based on passage content and questions, I think NS did a pretty good job. I've been checking my FL's slowly and working on the AAMC online material so I'm able to compare the two, and I think NS passages and questions are pretty good. I'll let you know if my Altius score is similar to my NS score, because as of right now I'm worried NS scores are inflated.

Interesting. I've been hearing mixed reviews about NS exams being inflated/ deflated. I don't know what to believe. I've read on a lot of threads that you usually score higher on the official AAMC compared to NS, but my raw score from NS 1 made me a little suspicious (36/59 on C/P = 127... 37/59 on B/B = 126 ..and 39/59 on P/S = 127). Taking it with a grain of salt. Let me know how Altius goes. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. I've been hearing mixed reviews about NS exams being inflated/ deflated. I don't know what to believe. I've read on a lot of threads that you usually score higher on the official AAMC compared to NS, but my raw score from NS 1 made me a little suspicious (36/59 on C/P = 127... 37/59 on B/B = 126 ..and 39/59 on P/S = 127). Taking it with a grain of salt. Let me know how Altius goes. Good luck!

Okay so it turns out the free Altius test is a half-length, not a FL. I will probably still take it soon, but I wanted to stay on track with my FL schedule so I took NS-3 today instead. My NS-3 FL score was identical to my NS 1 score, with the exact same distribution between sections (508- 127/126/127/128).

I've read the threads debating whether NS is inflated or deflated too. As for the spreadsheet indicating people usually score higher on the real thing, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I have a feeling that people who saw significant increases are more likely to put their scores in the spreadsheet to begin with. (behavioral sciences question: this bias is called...?)

I think the key is to get your "target score" on an NS FL before taking the real thing. That way you're fine whether there's a point increase or not.

Okay so it turns out the free Altius test is a half-length, not a FL. I will probably still take it soon, but I wanted to stay on track with my FL schedule so I took NS-3 today instead. My NS-3 FL score was identical to my NS 1 score, with the exact same distribution between sections (508- 127/126/127/128).

I've read the threads debating whether NS is inflated or deflated too. As for the spreadsheet indicating people usually score higher on the real thing, I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I have a feeling that people who saw significant increases are more likely to put their scores in the spreadsheet to begin with. (behavioral sciences question: this bias is called...?)

I think the key is to get your "target score" on an NS FL before taking the real thing. That way you're fine whether there's a point increase or not.

Good idea to keep on track with your FL schedule. How was your # correct/ 59 on NS 3 FL? It's funny how you find yourself coming up with applicable MCAT terms unintentionally. I tend to do the same thing. It's kind of sad lolol

What is everyone doing to study/practice for CARS?

Right now I'm focusing on the online AAMC material (CARS QPack Vol. 1&2). I'm doing them slowly, making sure I understand all of the answer choices and why only one of them is correct. When I'm done with those, I'll probably get a CARS workbook, although I'm unsure of which company to go with yet.

Good idea to keep on track with your FL schedule. How was your # correct/ 59 on NS 3 FL? It's funny how you find yourself coming up with applicable MCAT terms unintentionally. I tend to do the same thing. It's kind of sad lolol
Chem/phys: 37/59
CARS: 38/53
Bio/biochem: 41/59
Psych/soc: 45/59

What is everyone doing to study/practice for CARS?
no CARS practice except for the ones on the Altius practice exams and AAMC. I found it hard to find a prep company that mimics the mcat closely. Altius does pretty good in comparison to the real thing. Of course its a pretty tough section for me, so trying to improve under timed conditions.

I've been working through the NS 108 passages book. Very challenging. My progress thus far is a sin(x) curve

I also am doing the NS 108 CARS book and TPR hyperlearning and so far I like it! They have good explanations for why the answer is right and have been building up my endurance

Reactions: 1 users
I also am doing the NS 108 CARS book and TPR hyperlearning and so far I like it! They have good explanations for why the answer is right and have been building up my endurance

Hmm. Haven't tried TPR hyper learning yet but I agree with you on NS 108. I've also been using the old EK 101 book. Just trying to use anything that I can get my hands on

Have people been using Kahn Academy passages? Thoughts?

I don't use Khan passages as a primary resource during my focused study time. I like to do Khan passages during my, "casual," study time, i.e. doing a couple passages before sleeping. They aren't perfect but they're a free resource and help with content review at the very least. I'm a fan.

We would love to see if you think AdaptPrep mimics MCAT. What has been most helpful for you to prepare for the MCAT @Marsay ?

The AdaptPrep MCAT software does start you out at a level 3 (we are working on correlating that to MCAT scores) and by taking full length section exams you increase your earned level. If you want to sample we offer a free 3-day trial (MCAT | AdaptPrep). If you want to start off with the tough stuff off the bat, you can take quizzes and choose your difficulty level (10 is hardest).
how do I get access to your materials?

same here! I'm still motivated but just tired of looking at everything. But practice tests seem to be more beneficial than content
Exactly! I'm still motivated, but I find myself unable to focus after a shorter period of time compared to my study habits a few weeks ago.

Same. I ended up taking a couple days off but I'm going to get back at it today

Hello!
Hope studying is going well for all of you. I just found this thread and was wondering how many of you are planning on applying this 2017-2018 cycle???

The section bank is giving me problems for chem/phys, it is quite difficult trying to understand some of the AAMC reasoning behind some of the questions. The questions not based on content, so I'm worried about that section. I feel fine with everything else, but this section is killing me. Even with content review, the way they use some of the physics equations are not at all the way the content books use them.

The section bank is giving me problems for chem/phys, it is quite difficult trying to understand some of the AAMC reasoning behind some of the questions. The questions not based on content, so I'm worried about that section. I feel fine with everything else, but this section is killing me. Even with content review, the way they use some of the physics equations are not at all the way the content books use them.

I just finished the Chem/Phys SB too and I didn't do well. I've heard the SBs are gold in terms of studying though, so I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and redo it. It's unsettling that the AAMC Chem/Phys SB seems to cover material that wasn't emphasized in my Kaplan books...

Section banks are not really representative (at least true for PS sections). I very much prefer question banks, which was really a good review and mimic to real MCAT (although it doesn't have a PS section.)

Section banks are not really representative (at least true for PS sections). I very much prefer question banks, which was really a good review and mimic to real MCAT (although it doesn't have a PS section.)
I heard that the QPack questions were from the old MCAT, and the SB are closer to the new MCAT. I hope you're right though; QPacks were much easier!

yea I'm trying to find a pattern with these questions to help me on the real thing, but not seeing it yet, at least with the chem section. I'm fine with BIO and everything else

I just finished the Chem/Phys SB too and I didn't do well. I've heard the SBs are gold in terms of studying though, so I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and redo it. It's unsettling that the AAMC Chem/Phys SB seems to cover material that wasn't emphasized in my Kaplan books...

What material wasn't covered in Kaplan books that was in the SBs?

Anyone taking NS practice exams? How are you guys doing on those?

Just NS I and NS II so far. 503 and 506 respectively. Also, I'm applying next cycle. I may end up pushing this test back to January

Just NS I and NS II so far. 503 and 506 respectively. Also, I'm applying next cycle. I may end up pushing this test back to January

I took three so far... 505, 505, 502. I am kinda worried that I am plateauing on the scores. And there are theories that NS is actually inflated then deflated so idk what I should make of these scores.

I took three so far... 505, 505, 502. I am kinda worried that I am plateauing on the scores. And there are theories that NS is actually inflated then deflated so idk what I should make of these scores.

That's not bad. @Raavenclaw and I have talked at length about the whole inflation/deflation for NS. Ugh. We don't really know either lol

My scores for NS FL 1-3 weren't going up either, but I saw some improvement by the time I got to NS FL 5. From what I've read in other threads, people's scores often drop on NS 4, but then improve on NS 5 higher than even NS FL 1-3.

I also took an Altius FL and got a score in line with my NS FLs. It doesn't really answer the question of whether NS is inflated or deflated, but I guess my score was consistent between the two prep companies?

Last edited:
What material wasn't covered in Kaplan books that was in the SBs?

The first thing I can think of is a question that requires knowing how to number nitrogenous bases. I didn't learn it and it doesn't seem intuitive to me, just something I'll have to memorize, but maybe I'm missing something? There were a couple others that I can't think of right now

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 4.39.53 PM.png

My scores for NS FL 1-3 weren't going up either, but I saw some improvement by the time I got to NS FL 5. From what I've read in other threads, people's scores often drop on NS 4, but then improve on NS 5 higher than even NS FL 1-3.

I also took an Altius FL and got a score in line with my NS FLs. It doesn't really answer the question of whether NS is inflated or deflated, but I guess my score was consistent between the two prep companies?

I only have NS FL 1-4 since I am have my friends access. I might end up buying extra if I need more practice. I am pretty much doing one exam a week till test day, hopefully that doesn't burn me out...

How do you like Altius in general? Are there question style fairly similar to NS?