*Official MCAT January 2017 Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singerpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know there are many people who are also studying for the MCAT in January and I would like to connect with you guys and get insights. I'm currently taking a live online Kaplan MCAT course. I go to the University of Florida.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So, you guys score 6 point below your average, Do you think the old exam inflated your scores? since AAMC FL 1 and 2 are recycled, or so i have heard?
Yeah, I got 512/517 on mine, which avg of that is 514.5, so I scored 4.5 points lower on real thing than avg of FL1&2. I think there was more data analysis/critical thinking stuff and less discrete on real thing.

The psych/soc curve was tough, i felt like i killed that section lifeless and i only got a 127

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

503 (127/123/127/126)
Really surprised with CARS. I thought I did better than that :(
Is this competitive enough for DO schools?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am surprized by your C/P score dude... Did you panicked on CARS?

Yea, I am pretty surprised by my C/P score too. I was averaging ~129 on all of my practice exams. Don't think I panicked. CARS, I am a lost cause. I took the JW CARS course and my score actually dropped on all of my practice tests.

519 (129/131/130/129)

I can't stop happy crying right now. I can't believe I actually got this score. My full lengths were 515/516 so I had a 3 pt jump. I am really surprised at my breakdown because I thought C/P was horrible and P/S was really doable, but I guess the curve evened it all out. Like everyone else, I also thought the test had way more reasoning and less discrete than the practice tests.

All I used to prep was the Khan academy videos, Kaplan 7-book set, and the AAMC FLs.

BRB have to go breathe into a paper bag lol. Congrats to everyone who got their scores back today!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
519 (129/131/120/129)

I can't stop happy crying right now. I can't believe I actually got this score. My full lengths were 515/516 so I had a 3 pt jump. I am really surprised at my breakdown because I thought C/P was horrible and P/S was really doable, but I guess the curve evened it all out. Like everyone else, I also thought the test had way more reasoning and less discrete than the practice tests.

All I used to prep was the Khan academy videos, Kaplan 7-book set, and the AAMC FLs.

BRB have to go breathe into a paper bag lol. Congrats to everyone who got their scores back today!
WOW thats awesome, great job! Do you mean 130 for B/B?

519 (129/131/120/129)

So you used EK CARS strategy? is that right? or did you combine it with TPR and others?

Just to make everyone feel better about themselves, I got a 499. Devastated is an understatement.

Reactions: 3 users
So, what do you think brought you down?

I shouldn't have taken it when I did. I wasn't ready. Never made over a 502 on a practice test but I had spent a while "studying" so I felt like I needed to go ahead and take it and hope for a miracle. Now here I am trying to find the time to study to retake it which isn't even possible for me until May. Which means I'll take the test again in July and be complete late. So freaking stressful.

510 - 129/129/126/126. I thought that BB and psych sections had a lot of gimmes, so makes it difficult to score really well. It would be nice if it was more balanced but I'm ok with it. Does anyone think the 126 in BB will be an issue?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
513 130 | 128 | 128 | 127

I'm ecstatic with that score seeing how I almost voided. Exactly (in total) what I got on AAMC FL2, I will not complain. 508 was my highest scores on Kaplan, but also my mode, I guess consistency is key to a decent score.

I shouldn't have taken it when I did. I wasn't ready. Never made over a 502 on a practice test but I had spent a while "studying" so I felt like I needed to go ahead and take it and hope for a miracle. Now here I am trying to find the time to study to retake it which isn't even possible for me until May. Which means I'll take the test again in July and be complete late. So freaking stressful.
Are you still in school? Just take a gap year and study 3-4 months solid and retake.

510 - 129/129/126/126. I thought that BB and psych sections had a lot of gimmes, so makes it difficult to score really well. It would be nice if it was more balanced but I'm ok with it. Does anyone think the 126 in BB will be an issue?
Hey, we are MCAT score buddies. I think you are fine in B/B as long as you aren't applying to any crazy schools.

I have been shaking all day worrying about this, but once I finally opened my scores....518 (97th percentile)!!!!!!!! Luck must have definitely been on my side that day because that's way better than I ever did on practice tests!

I ended up with a 524 -- I'm absolutely in shock right now because near the end, I was just hoping that I scored near my AAMC FLs (I scored a 518 on FL 1 and 2). I can't tell you what happened during test day because I really don't remember any of it. I'm just so happy that this ordeal is over!

:biglove:

Reactions: 10 users
I ended up with a 524 -- I'm absolutely in shock right now because near the end, I was just hoping that I scored near my AAMC FLs (I scored a 518 on FL 1 and 2). I can't tell you what happened during test day because I really don't remember any of it. I'm just so happy that this ordeal is over!

Congrats, elite score.

You deserved that score, CONGRATULATIONS. I was excited to hear how you did.

I got a 511!!!!!!! So happy. 128/125/127/131. Unbalanced but I'll take it. Mind you my highest full length score was 506 (Examcrackers) and then a 501 AAMC FL1 (two weeks before exam: was sick and took it in bed) and 503 AAMC FL2 one week before the exam (bombed cars on this one). An 8 point increase. Wow. I'm gonna be a doctor. :)

Reactions: 5 users

Congrats. Can you please share your study methods/resources/tips for us future takers. Of course, after you're done Partying :claps::soexcited:

Hey Guys!
Haven't really posted anything on this thread before but I also took the Jan MCAT after taking my senior year as a "gap" year and scored a 509! I was in tears when I got this score as my first score was a 493. For anyone who is out there sad and lost, pick yourself up and tell yourself you are going to be a doctor and spend each day working harder than yesterday. This test is def not based on content but more on strategy and thinking out of the box. When I first started studying, the way I think, usually recalling memorized facts, did not help. Later, I realized that the test was more of applying what you learned in a broader context. If anyone wants any study guides, MCAT ebooks (Kaplan), tips, CARS tips lmk! I'm more than happy to help :)

Reactions: 6 users

You got this!

A little disappointing got 511 ( 128,128,128,127) 86%. This is my first time I took this Exam. I thought it was much harder then the practice FLs.
FLs were 509/511 NS FL 509.

Now Big question is should I retake it or Not ? I put like 4-6 weeks of study (Kaplan books, Khans notes/videos and old AAMC exams).
I am a Junior and expecting LM score of 70.85. Will be applying to Med Schools in June.
So should I take another stab in June or not is the million $ question for me.

Last edited:
A little disappointing got 511 ( 128,128,128,127) 86%. This this is my first time I took this Exam. I thought it was much harder then the practice FLs.
FLs were 509/511 NS FL 509.

Now Big question is should I retake it or Not ? I put like 4-6 weeks of study (Kaplan books, Khans notes/videos and old AAMC exams).
I am a Junior and expecting LM score of 70.85. Will be applying to Med Schools in June.
So should I take another stab in June or not is the million $ question for me.

Unless you're dead set on MD/PhD or high prestige I'm not sure if it's wise to retake that score.

Reactions: 4 users
Highest on practice tests were 506 and 508. Took these within 3 days apart and 1 week before real exam. Scored a 513. Just believe in yourself!

Congrats. Can you please share your study methods/resources/tips for us future takers. Of course, after you're done Partying :claps::soexcited:

Thanks for all of the support, guys! :)

In general I used a lot of TPR and EK for content review. TPR was good for learning and relearning concepts. EK was good for consolidating information because it's a lot more brief, and tends to connect the dots between many different concepts. I don't think that any one book includes everything that you can possibly be tested on in the MCAT, so it was helpful for me to use multiple sources. I watched a few Khan Academy videos but I really found myself preferring AK videos on Youtube – he has a really, really good playlist for biochemical lab techniques (which are heavily emphasized on the B/B section) and was the only reason I finally understood how kidneys worked.

I actually paid for a TPR Online Course, which was completely not worth it for me because I didn't have the time to attend the lectures (4 x 3 hours/week) as well as doing all of the reading and homework for the lectures. I think using Anki really helped me because even on days where I didn't feel like actively studying, doing my allotted flashcards was a form of practice anyway. For full lengths, I used NS and one EK in addition to the AAMC material. I found NS harder than EK (especially in the C/P section, which for whatever reason has a ridiculous amount of calculations), but it's also cheaper so I ended up buying 3 exams for $99.

For general tips, I would say that I wish I had spent more time reviewing the SBs. The B/B section bank especially mimics the harder passages that you will see in the real B/B section. I also think the Blind Review method of reviewing FLs is very helpful, especially in CARS and P/S. The tip that most reasonated with me is that there are two ways of getting to the right answer: (1) you can know the right answer right off the bat, and (2) you can determine that the other three answers are wrong. Often in CARS and P/S, you will come across questions that are like ???, but being able to cross off wrong answers and ultimately understand why the right answer is correct is very helpful come real exam day.

In general I used a lot of TPR and EK for content review. TPR was good for learning and relearning concepts. EK was good for consolidating information because it's a lot more brief, and tends to connect the dots between many different concepts. I don't think that any one book includes everything that you can possibly be tested on in the MCAT, so it was helpful for me to use multiple sources. I watched a few Khan Academy videos but I really found myself preferring AK videos on Youtube – he has a really, really good playlist for biochemical lab techniques (which are heavily emphasized on the B/B section) and was the only reason I finally understood how kidneys worked.

I actually paid for a TPR Online Course, which was completely not worth it for me because I didn't have the time to attend the lectures (4 x 3 hours/week) as well as doing all of the reading and homework for the lectures. I think using Anki really helped me because even on days where I didn't feel like actively studying, doing my allotted flashcards was a form of practice anyway. For full lengths, I used NS and one EK in addition to the AAMC material. I found NS harder than EK (especially in the C/P section, which for whatever reason has a ridiculous amount of calculations), but it's also cheaper so I ended up buying 3 exams for $99.

For general tips, I would say that I wish I had spent more time reviewing the SBs. The B/B section bank especially mimics the harder passages that you will see in the real B/B section. I also think the Blind Review method of reviewing FLs is very helpful, especially in CARS and P/S. The tip that most reasonated with me is that there are two ways of getting to the right answer: (1) you can know the right answer right off the bat, and (2) you can determine that the other three answers are wrong. Often in CARS and P/S, you will come across questions that are like ???, but being able to cross off wrong answers and ultimately understand why the right answer is correct is very helpful come real exam day.
A lot of good advice right here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

When you say AK videos do you mean KA?

Thank you for sharing.

Do you think doing the SBs twice will help to solidify concepts, if there is time? And you took a total of 5 FLs? Thanks!

Hey Guys, Testing in march here, doing passages and questions every day to review content. I've been scoring low 500s on NS, I want to score above a 507, my problem is not so much content, but how to analyze passages. Any tips on how to help increase my score? CARS is my weakest section but I have been doing three passages every day.

Too hype! I scored a 523 (131/130/131/131). 3 points above my highest FL, which as AAMC FL2. Studied for about a little over a month during winter break for like 10 hrs/day (it can be done!) so PM me if you want any advice on how to study with limited time. So glad to be done with this exam!! :)

Last edited:
Got a 508 (126/125/129/128) its bittersweet but I'll take it considering I only want to go to an allopathic school (I don't really care where). Unfortunately, I saw a strange drop from FL 2 though (513: (130/126/130/127)). CARS was always my roughest so I am just glad I broke 125. Good job to all of you who killed it!

@AnotherLawyer & @plasticdiscoball

Congratulations on the great score! :clap:

Can you guys please share your studying methods/resources and any tips for us future takers. Thank you!

Thanks. I'm not sure I'm the person you want to emulate. I'm married with kids and work full time so I did not invest as much time as I had hoped and certainly not as much as a trad student should aim for.

With that said, I'm confident the one thing I did right was prioritizing the aamc material above all else. I told myself I would do it all and review it carefully even if that meant cutting content review short. And that is exactly what happened. I was only about 75% finished with content review when my self-imposed cut off date arrived. At that point I kept to the plan and moved to the aamc stuff.

Hopefully you will not have to chose between finishing content and mastering the aamc stuff.

I used EK 10e for content and the 30 min exams. I used the Reddit KA 100 page P/S notes. And I made an anki card for every P/S term. I highly recommend the KA notes and anki for P/S. As for EK, I thought it was fine but it's not a silver bullet by any means.

Other than the EK 30 minute exams, all my practice was aamc stuff.

Last edited:
514 (127/132/128/127). I think I'll drop anchor here.

Congrats to everyone who received his/her scores today, regardless of outcome. There aren't many people loony enough to do this.

***Edit to splice in my diagnostic exam info***

I used Kaplan for general content review, Khan Academy for the gritty concepts and the AAMC practice exams.

Kaplan FL #1 (12/31)
504 (125/128/127/124)

Kaplan FL #2 (1/7)
508 (127/129/126/126)

Kaplan FL #3 (1/14)
506 (127/128/127/124)

AAMC FL #1 (1/21)
511 (126/131/127/127)

AAMC FL #2 (1/26)
511 (127/131/128/125)

MCAT (1/28)
514 (127/132/128/127)

Dunno if anyone has ever collated the data around here to build a regression model to predict test scores, but that would be keen.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, Testing in march here, doing passages and questions every day to review content. I've been scoring low 500s on NS, I want to score above a 507, my problem is not so much content, but how to analyze passages. Any tips on how to help increase my score? CARS is my weakest section but I have been doing three passages every day.
Do more passages in one sitting about 5 a day, gradually increase to 9 and ask the question "What is the author trying to tell me?" while you're doing each passage.

Do more passages in one sitting about 5 a day, gradually increase to 9 and ask the question "What is the author trying to tell me?" while you're doing each passage.
I believe everyone knows that ... Cars is just evil!!!

513 130 | 128 | 128 | 127

I'm ecstatic with that score seeing how I almost voided. Exactly (in total) what I got on AAMC FL2, I will not complain. 508 was my highest scores on Kaplan, but also my mode, I guess consistency is key to a decent score.
Hey good Job sir!! I know you had been worried about it. I was surprised because I got a 508 even after getting a 513 on FL2 but what can I do? I'm just gonna keep my score and apply responsibly to only certain allopathic programs.