Official Match Lists 2017...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While your T20 schools have higher board scores in general, the difference in average board scores alone isn't enough to explain the vast disparity in match lists between them and your average run of the mill school. The reality is that for grads from many of these programs, their applications do have greater weight and get greater consideration simply because of the pedigree associated. Yes, you have better opportunities for research and yes, you get letters from big names in the field. But the pedigree matters, alot.

How are you suggesting that my conclusion is that 100% of H students crush Step? I didn't suggest anything like 100%. I said at least half. That's not 100%, right?

I would lol too if that was a suggestion. I guess if you want to lol, then you twist someone's post to make it a joke.

Do you disagree that maybe 50% of H's MS4s have high enough stats to get ranked/matched into one of H's hospitals?

And since H has so many hospitals, it stands to reason that many of their students would match at one of them.

People have been commenting on how many top schools had their own students match into their programs. That isn't really surprising because that happens everywhere. Many students, for a variety of reasons, really want to stay in the same area. Maybe they're married or whatever, and they've "settled" in that area and don't want to leave. We saw a number of matching students show up with children in tow. Those peeps often want to stay put.

Obviously if you already go to a top program and you're a competent student, you'd want to stay. With that said, the arguments you're giving don't make sense - it's not like NYC, Philly and St Louis have great public schools that a resident at Columbia, Penn or Wash U would be dying to send their kids to. More typically it's good students at top programs who establish good relationships with the attendings and residents that decide to stay, with those leaving choosing to do so for family, career & lifestyle reasons. With that said, you have a much easier time matching at a top program with unremarkable stats if you go to a top school, there's no doubt about that. A 230 from Yale applying in anything moderately competitive like EM, IM, OB-GYN, Gas or Neuro will get interviews at top programs even though their board scores are average for those fields. Meanwhile, a 230 from a random unranked state school would need a killer CV to get the same interviews, and a DO wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell at a top tier residency in any of those fields.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Inbreeding galore.. 34.4%!

Not really. If you want to stay in SF and go to a good program then UCSF is really your only option. Yeah, there's Stanford but who wants to live in Palo Alto?
Some of those fields definitely but gas? Go look at the DO match lists. Many top programs matches like MGH etc. Hence why it's known on SDN as a dying field.

I'm specifically talking about a DO with a 230 on Step 1. Yes, there have been a handful of DOs who have broken into gas at top tier institutions but they almost definitely aren't average.

Now that many of the match lists are listed, is it ok to discuss?

The name, UWash Med, isn't going to have pull. You're confusing a name with cohort. UWash Med consists of students coming from about 6 states, and I think some of those states have guaranteed spots no matter what their applicants' stats are.

A 4th year cohort from Cornell, NYU, or WashU is going to be filled with students who entered with tippy top stats. Is it really a surprise that many of their students would likely have top Steps, etc, and likely match at top programs? It's not the school's name, it's their "grade" of students. Not saying that UWash's cohort was crap but since the school can really only pick from a handful of states, the stats probably aren't as high as those top privates.

Someone mentioned that top program PRs probably see UPenn on an app and auto-send an interview w/o looking at the rest of the app. I don't believe that. I think that if the stats aren't there, there won't be an invite to a top program. How many students get interviewed for each top program, particularly the competitive specialties? 40? More? Less?
Here's my problem with your reasoning. You're assuming that just because someone did well in premed that they're going to do well in med school (even if they did get into programs like Harvard, penn, etc). If you look at the match list for Harvard, there's no more than a couple of people that didn't match any a top program for residency. Doesn't matter how great the Harvard students are prior to Med school, there's no way in hell every single student there is killing Step 1, doing significant research and getting great letters to produce a match list like that without the name of their school giving them a signicant boost in the matching process. You said "about 50%", but that further proves how important your school's brand name is. If only about 50% of students there are scoring well above the national step average, then about 50% of that match list should be as "top heavy" as it is. In other words, it means a bunch of people with average or below average stats are matching into top programs regardless.

Disclaimer: typed this in a rush, so sorry if there are some typos

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of those fields definitely but gas? Go look at the DO match lists. Many top programs matches like MGH etc. Hence why it's known on SDN as a dying field.

Many? lol not really
I saw maybe 2 DOs on the interview trail. That's not a surrogate measure. EM has a ton of DOs and they can't stop talking about how competitive they are

Reactions: 1 users
How many students get interviewed for each top program, particularly the competitive specialties? 40? More? Less?

Inbreeding galore.. 34.4%!

I think inbreeding is a great thing. Shows that the school actually cares about their own contributing to the local community far beyond med school.

The name of your last place of training worth equal to if not more than step 1 or anything else.

Reason? One of the faculty told me he judge how successful our recruitment effort is by seeing how many DOs we match.

Completely messed up way of thinking, but people like him are like those closet trump voters, and some of them are in charge of your hiring.

This is why I am busting my ass to go to a name brand.

While there are no assurances that high stats incoming med students will excel, certainly when the average GPA is 3.93 accompanied with a high MCAT, there are strong indicators that the students will be high performers.

I would think that Harvard (or similar) would be specifically seeking students that will not only excel but will be tomorrow's leaders in medicine.

Harvard's averages for incoming students (this is probably 3-5 year old info)
  • Undergraduate GPA: 3.93
  • MCAT Score: 37 out of 45
When you also consider that Harvard has multiple teaching hospitals, I don't think it's surprising that so many H students matched at an H hospital.

When you consider how many total residency spots there are at H hospitals, what % went to H students?

Last edited:
How many students get interviewed for each top program, particularly the competitive specialties? 40? More? Less?

It depends on the field and the size of the program. EM, IM and Gas usually interview >100 people to fill a program with 10-25 PGY1 spots. Surgical subspecialties - typically around 50-ish with half of them coming from home students & Sub-Is that rotated

The name of your last place of training worth equal to if not more than step 1 or anything else.

Reason? One of the faculty told me he judge how successful our recruitment effort is by seeing how many DOs we match.

Completely messed up way of thinking, but people like him are like those closet trump voters, and some of them are in charge of your hiring.

This is why I am busting my ass to go to a name brand.

I wouldn't say it's completely messed up at all. If you are an Allopathic program that can't manage to attract allopathic applicants despite the fact that they're vastly the majority relative to DOs, it's a red flag that something's up. Doubly so if you're in a desirable geographic area and still can't get US-MDs.

It depends on the field and the size of the program. EM, IM and Gas usually interview >100 people to fill a program with 10-25 PGY1 spots. Surgical subspecialties - typically around 50-ish with half of them coming from home students & Sub-Is that rotated

I wouldn't say it's completely messed up at all. If you are an Allopathic program that can't manage to attract allopathic applicants despite the fact that they're vastly the majority relative to DOs, it's a red flag that something's up. Doubly so if you're in a desirable geographic area and still can't get US-MDs.

We don't have a favorable geography. I do know that our DO resident the year below me had a 25-30 point step 1 score lead on the MD residents from big named places.

thanks. I was particularly curious as to how many programs like MGH rads would interview. Yesterday someone told me that matching into MGH rads was the most difficult at a H hospital. Have no idea if that's true or not, or why.

thanks. I was particularly curious as to how many programs like MGH rads would interview. Yesterday someone told me that matching into MGH rads was the most difficult at a H hospital. Have no idea if that's true or not, or why.
N = 1 but someone from my unranked state school matched Rads at MGH. He had a super high step score but it can be done.

Members don't see this ad :)
N = 1 but someone from my unranked state school matched Rads at MGH. He had a super high step score but it can be done.

Was that this year?

What was the super high step score

Still wondering how many are interviewed. I think I heard that there are about 10 spots.

Was that this year?

What was the super high step score

Still wondering how many are interviewed. I think I heard that there are about 10 spots.
Last year. We also had someone match plastics at UCSF.

True.

But really, would UCSF have any programs that aren't good?

Just because an institution has notoriety in some fields doesn't mean it's great for everything. Ex: MGH and Columbia have excellent IM programs but their EM programs are nothing special.

Just because an institution has notoriety in some fields doesn't mean it's great for everything. Ex: MGH and Columbia have excellent IM programs but their EM programs are nothing special.

Thanks. I had only checked one specialty at UCSF and MGH (DRads), and IIRC they were 2 and 1.

Interesting that @Pathman1000 thinks UCSF is overrated.

???
every plastics program is a good match lol

Not really. Every plastics match is a hard match but places can be malignant, have terrible institutional cultures, poor reputation within the field, etc.

But its great for everything though haha

Does anyone have sinai's? It's annoying that Ctrl+f on each of these pages gives 50 results

Not to further derail the thread by replying to these OT discussions, but lets be real, a lot of where UW matches has to do with the fact that they're actually successful with their mission of educating physicians who will practice in WAMI (or whatever that acronym is). There's a lot of self selection happening here on the part of the students of UW. They want to train in the regions they want to practice in: home.

Additionally, the only data we actually have says PDs don't give a rat's butthole about what your MCAT or uGPA was. So yeah, as med students, lets be careful about what we presume to know about PD thoughts as well. Yes?

What is PD?

Can someone explain the preliminary surgery matches on these lists? Are they always applicants that didn't match a categorical position? Or do they include, for example, people who do a surgery prelim year before their radiology residency begins?

Anyone have an answer for this? I'm curious too.

Anesthesia is not as competitive as before. UC Irvine was also unfilled this year (can't say location sucks)

Which is excellent for DO candidates as now some of the previously most staunchly anti DO places are FORCED to rank great candidates to fill.

Does anyone have the most recent match list for UCSD SOM? Many thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

can anyone with stony brook's match list 2017 PM me?

CASE WESTERN 2017 Match List

Internal Medicine
Baylor
Baylor
Beth Israel Deaconess
Beth Israel Deaconess
Beth Israel Deaconess
Brigham & Womens
Brigham & Womens
Case Western/ MetroHealth
Case Western/ UH Cleveland
Cedars-Sinai
Cedars-Sinai
Duke
Duke
Duke
Emory
Johns Hopkins
Massachusetts General
Naval Medical Center San Diego
NYU
Ohio State
Ohio State
OHSU
Penn
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Scripps Clinic/ Green Hospital
Stanford
Stanford
U Michigan
U Michigan
U Michigan
U Michigan
U Virginia
U Wisconsin
UC Irvine
U Illinois Chicago
UT Southwestern
Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt
Yale/ New Haven Hospital

Not a single CCF match?

What are you suggesting?

Don’t you think it’s a red flag when local candidates choose against an local program? Or even more of an red flag if local program choose again local candidates?

Disclaimer: i know nothing about CCF.

Don’t you think it’s a red flag when local candidates choose against an local program? Or even more of an red flag if local program choose again local candidates?

A local program isn't choosing against local candidates if the other matches are going to Harvard, Hopkins, NYU, Michigan etc

I believe CCF IM doesnt have a great training program. Heavily loaded with DOs and FMGs. Good place to be a fellow not a resident. So Case students go elsewhere.

*This is pure hearsay from my IM friends