**Official Maryland Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's only one interview with two interviewers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is correct 1 interviewee with a student and faculty interviewer. It is very relaxed (for most people). The students giving you your tour and eating lunch are also observing you. Avoid using your cell phone, look happy and friendly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if Maryland has a writing assignment during its interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
No writing assignment during the interview day, unless it is new this year. My year both VCU and Temple had one.

Some people have asked me about applying for in state. The process is straight forward. You can petition after living in state for one year. It is more like crawling a ton of hoops to complete paperwork versus jumping through hoops aflame, meaning it is easy, just time consuming. More info: Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition Purposes

Reactions: 3 users
If I want in state tuition at Maryland even though I'm OOS should I select yes to be considered for in state tuition or no?

HI im going to the interview on 9/13 wondering if anyone would like to share an Air bnb?
\

Hello, I got an email from Maryland that some of my prerequisites were "outdated" because I took bio in 2007. At that time my AADSAS status moved to "awaiting materials". I emailed them listing my multiple upper level bio classes asking if those could be accepted instead and they never responded, but my status changed to "received/under review"

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

Hello, I got an email from Maryland that some of my prerequisites were "outdated" because I took bio in 2007. At that time my AADSAS status moved to "awaiting materials". I emailed them listing my multiple upper level bio classes asking if those could be accepted instead and they never responded, but my status changed to "received/under review"

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
When did you last take bio? I assume 2007 was intro bio

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think it's worth it to apply with a 3.2oGPA, 3.0sGPA and a 17AA? I am from VA

Hi guys!
So I took my DAT the first week of Aug for the second time! I got a 21 AA and 22 TS this time around. Last cycle, I got a 18 AA and 19 TS. I was interviewed at Maryland and then got rejected in April :(
I just called UMB today to confirm if they received my updated DAT scores (21 AA 22TS) and they just received them yesterday and the lady said she would push my application forward in the review process. Does anyone know how long I should expect to wait before receiving the supplemental? Also, do you think I even stand a chance to gain admission with these DAT stats? My GPA is 3.78. I am also an in-state resident.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and Best of LUCK to everyone! We are in this together!

Hi guys!
So I took my DAT the first week of Aug for the second time! I got a 21 AA and 22 TS this time around. Last cycle, I got a 18 AA and 19 TS. I was interviewed at Maryland and then got rejected in April :(
I just called UMB today to confirm if they received my updated DAT scores (21 AA 22TS) and they just received them yesterday and the lady said she would push my application forward in the review process. Does anyone know how long I should expect to wait before receiving the supplemental? Also, do you think I even stand a chance to gain admission with these DAT stats? My GPA is 3.78. I am also an in-state resident.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and Best of LUCK to everyone! We are in this together!
My application was complete on Aug 14 and I got the supplemental yesterday so about two weeks.

Hi guys!

I think your chances are very good because you're a re-applicant, which shows determination, and you have made improvements since last cycle (DAT).

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys!

Absolutely you have a chance, and a good one with your new scores. Your DAT and GPA are above our average. Perhaps you did not interview well, and you might want to practice. If you are given an interview, then your DAT and GPA are already being accepted for what they are. Think of your primary application with your scores and PS as your first step in the door, and the interview as the second step in the door.

Yes, they actually ended up accepting my bio but now they aren't accepting my Chem. They said I have to retake it

You have until before you enroll into the dental school to complete it I believe

It will be hard to retake 4-5 semesters of chem, even 2 semsters worth is pushing it if you are not enrolled currently: gen chem 1/2, orgo 1/2, biochem.

It will be hard to retake 4-5 semesters of chem, even 2 semsters worth is pushing it if you are not enrolled currently: gen chem 1/2, orgo 1/2, biochem.
Yeah I think I'm going to have to take the L on this one

Absolutely you have a chance, and a good one with your new scores. Your DAT and GPA are above our average. Perhaps you did not interview well, and you might want to practice. If you are given an interview, then your DAT and GPA are already being accepted for what they are. Think of your primary application with your scores and PS as your first step in the door, and the interview as the second step in the door.
Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. I just received the supplemental application this morning and just now submitted it! That was definitely a relief. Are you an applicant or do you currently attend UMB?

Submitted Supplemental August 1, but have not received interview yet :(

Received an email for supplemental. Does this usually mean an interview is on the way?
Stats: 23aa 22ts 3.78 gpa OOS

For those who got a supp and then an interview. How long did it take to get the interview after the supplemental? Thank You

Received an email for supplemental. Does this usually mean an interview is on the way?

I believe so. From what I understand the supplemental is given if they are considering you for an interview since it means you are moving forward in the admissions process.

For those who got a supp and then an interview. How long did it take to get the interview after the supplemental? Thank You

I got the supplemental on 7/25 and an interview invite on 8/8. Hopefully that helps.

I submitted the supplemental on July 18th and I haven't heard anything since :shrug:

Not everyone who applies gets a supplemental. Not everyone who gets a supplemental gets an interview. You need a supp to get an interview though.

With that said, it is barely September. Chill, go enjoy your labor day weekend and fall. Maryland generally interviews into March. You have ample time to get an invite!

Hey y'all. Applied here from out of state and have an interview this fall.
Is OOS tuition about 75k annually?
How is the school on scholarships?
Double checking from figures I saw online. If anyone (especially a current student) could verify this, that'd be lovely.

Ok guys, so I made a BIIIIIG "boo-boo" (for lack of a better word besides cursing lol). I received the supplemental application invite on 7/17 and I paid the fee. I started the supplemental application but for some STUPID reason, I forgot to finish filling it out!!!! I JUST submitted it today. Am I totally screwed or do I have a shot for an interview? My application has been complete since 8/14, but that was just because I was waiting on a committee letter. They've had my DAT scores and transcripts well before that. Any words of assurance...or otherwise???

For the people that interviewed at Maryland already - how was the interview? What about the overall impression of the school?
Thanks!

Anyone know when second round of invites are coming out?

For the people that interviewed at Maryland already - how was the interview? What about the overall impression of the school?
Thanks!
Interviewed last year and I selected this school out of several that I was accepted to. The interview is 2 on 1. One is a faculty and the other is a student. Questions are fairly straightforward, nothing tricky. Somewhat formal, but not too intimidating. The school is very nice and new, so everything looks great from the pre-clinic to the clinic. Very state of the art equipment, friendly faculty, happy students, and best of all lectures are recorded :) Only a month in but i'm happy with my decision

PM me if you have any specific questions

Last edited:
I took DAT twice. Should I report both scores on AADSAS application or just report the most recent one and the school will see the results for both since they have my dent pin? I can't remember the scores on the first one section by section. Thanks!

Last edited:
I took DAT twice. Should I report both scores on AADSAS application or just report the most recent one and the school will see the results for both since they have my dent pin? I can't remember the scores on the first one section by section. Thanks!
You can look up your scores on the ADEA website using your DENTPIN. You need to report all scores.

Does anyone recall how quickly after submission you receive an email for the app fee?

Wow there is much more interest than I expected. I actually haven't even PMed @Dasaniii since Ive been so busy catching up with school work. I already promised myself I would make a list of thing I want to remember from each interview anyway, so here are my thoughts.

DISCLAIMER:
These are simply my thoughts and opinions of the school. They will (almost certainly) NOT completely reflect anyone else's experience.

Overall highlights:
- The day began with 2 presentations from faculty (a bit long...about 1.5-2 hours total). This includes info about the school and financial aid.
- Pretty casual and relaxed overall. We hung out with D3 and D4s most of the day during lunch, student panel (which was more of free time with the 3-4 dental students that were with us, than a formal Q&A), school and campus tours, and a few things in between.
- There was only one interview. 1 faculty plus 1 student taking notes/asking the questions. I was a bit surprised that this was a bit more formal and structured than the rest of the day. Not too bad overall though.
- Id you pick the chicken salad for lunch, you won't go wrong. It was great!
- About 12-15 total interviewees.
- Overall I could see myself going to school here.

Things I loved
- The facilities are somewhat new, the building itself (although it wasn't the cleanest on that day) seemed really cool. Overall i enjoyed the fact that there is sunlight and it won't feel like I'm in the slytherin dungeons for four years.
- Technology is great, lectures are video/audio recorded. You can rewatch them or watch them at home and speed them up/slow them down.
- Students are trained to use the CAD/CAM
- The faculty was really friendly and inviting. I felt welcomed by them.
- They are right next to a level 1 trauma center (I can shadow/assist then OMFS residents)
- This is according to the few students who were in charge of us - even though they are ranked, there is not too much competition. Some classes such as the D4s and D2 are a bit more relaxed about their school work. With ranking, they only are told at the end of the year where they stand, so it doesn't really create competition.
- Students seems really close friends with EACH OTHER - that emphasis will be important later....
- The library has a huge gym on the top 3 floors. The cost is already included in tuition for all campus students (PA, nursing, Medical, Dental, etc.). There is a full sized pool, and a full basketball court and indoor track. Locker rooms even have saunas for those that want to get steamy!

Thinks I liked
- Seemed like faculty are leaders in their respective fields (from what they said at least).
- Lots of opportunities to serve in the community and have clinical experience.
- Class rooms don't seem old.
- Relatively cheap tuition.
- There is some mingling between the other professional schools.

Things I was concerned about
- My biggest concern...Downtown Baltimore...
- Some classrooms don't seem to have enough seats for all students. There is overflow rooms, but kinda seems weird.
- They have all specialties. I like that I can shadow them/interact and learn more about them, but they'll most likely take all of the complex cases from the dental students. Not too big of a deal overall since not everyone shows up to classes.
- I think out of the 100+ students we passed during the day, only like 3 even acknowledged us and said hello.
- Most students did not seem happy/excited. They did seem really cheerful and friendly when they were talking and socializing with each other, but not when we passed them on the hall, went to classrooms, or passed through the clinic and pre-clinic. Maybe dental school is stressful all the time, or it was a rainy day; maybe they just don't want to relive the horrors or being an applicant and worrying about dental school interviews. Whatever the case, I was really excited to interact with some of my future colleagues but it did not happen.

With that being said, I thinks it's a great school and a great choice if any of us get an acceptance. I hope that help. If you guys have any other questions let me know!

Reactions: 13 users
Status
Not open for further replies.