*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I've been out of school for a long time (going on 15 years next spring), I have a few non-trad questions. I have been able to get 3 or even 4 very strong LORs from science professors, so that's taken care of. PI has promised a very strong letter as well, and should have it completed soon. I was somehow able to get a letter from the PI for my thesis from 15 years ago (was advised that I needed it for research schools). That professor also taught me in multiple engineering classes. For the schools that don't care about the thesis, would that count as a non-science or does engineering fall in that "we can't count it as science for your science GPA, but it's also not non-science enough to be non-science" category? I also have a letter promised from a TA from an architectural class from a long time ago, and that will be a very strong letter. But I'm assuming a letter from someone who taught me 15 years ago will not be a great bet in general since it's from such a long time ago?

I have one more option. I have to take an English class this summer and I will become great friends with the professor and can probably get a letter from that. But that class won't end until August, so the letter would probably be a little on the late side. Is it better to submit one of the letters from people who knew me 15 years ago early or wait and send a more recent letter late?

Members don't see this ad.

Since I've been out of school for a long time (going on 15 years next spring), I have a few non-trad questions. I have been able to get 3 or even 4 very strong LORs from science professors, so that's taken care of. PI has promised a very strong letter as well, and should have it completed soon. I was somehow able to get a letter from the PI for my thesis from 15 years ago (was advised that I needed it for research schools). That professor also taught me in multiple engineering classes. For the schools that don't care about the thesis, would that count as a non-science or does engineering fall in that "we can't count it as science for your science GPA, but it's also not non-science enough to be non-science" category? I also have a letter promised from a TA from an architectural class from a long time ago, and that will be a very strong letter. But I'm assuming a letter from someone who taught me 15 years ago will not be a great bet in general since it's from such a long time ago?

I have one more option. I have to take an English class this summer and I will become great friends with the professor and can probably get a letter from that. But that class won't end until August, so the letter would probably be a little on the late side. Is it better to submit one of the letters from people who knew me 15 years ago early or wait and send a more recent letter late?
You are a nontrad and very atypical so dont get caught up on fufilling typical letters. Get one current from either employment or volunteer supervisor. who else that is current could you get a letter from that is a reasonable source?

You are a nontrad and very atypical so dont get caught up on fufilling typical letters. Get one current from either employment or volunteer supervisor. who else that is current could you get a letter from that is a reasonable source?

I have a letter from work coming and already have a letter from my volunteer supervisor. I will also be getting a letter from a doctor I shadowed for three months (Who I have also worked with professionally). I won't be getting a committee letter packet (obviously), but my prehealth advisors will be reviewing my letters and putting together the best combination for each school. I will probably contact each school individually and see which letters they prefer, since I will be working around their requests and want to be sure they are okay with a substitute (and since i could technically fulfill their requirements).

Members don't see this ad :)
Will a strong letter from an MD who I shadowed and who was my professor possibly count as a science letter? The courses were interdisciplinary and centered on health care and health policy issues. I have a letter from an anatomy professor lined up, which I think will be somewhat strong. However, my second "science" letter is from a microbiology professor who does not know me very well and actually told me that they could not write a super strong letter, and I'd rather not submit a letter from her if it's going to be tepid. Any advice?

Will a strong letter from an MD who I shadowed and who was my professor possibly count as a science letter? The courses were interdisciplinary and centered on health care and health policy issues. I have a letter from an anatomy professor lined up, which I think will be somewhat strong. However, my second "science" letter is from a microbiology professor who does not know me very well and actually told me that they could not write a super strong letter, and I'd rather not submit a letter from her if it's going to be tepid. Any advice?

1) for all the schools you will actually submit application, you need to check their specific requirements as what letters they want
2) many schools have relaxed the traditional "2 science/1 non science" requirement though I would still say that is typical expectation
3) Since this MD is a professor with a faculty position who taught you in a class, it would likely be taken as a science letter, though again, it isnt the traditional expectation.
4) I would ask the MD to write the letter from primarily or at least opening with the classroom piece and make shadowing secondary. You dont want the letter being immediately classified as a shadow letter instead of the science prof

Reactions: 1 user
OK class, which would an adcom prefer:
Two short, incomplete letters each covering the same lab and background making an adcom reread similar material
OR
One complete letter that fully covers the student's lab experience signed by both the PI and Supervisor

I should clarify that I am writing my supervisor's LOR. My research PI initially was going to write a separate one but he decided just to cosign the one I am writing for my supervisor so there really isn't any difference in content.

I should clarify that I am writing my supervisor's LOR. My research PI initially was going to write a separate one but he decided just to cosign the one I am writing for my supervisor so there really isn't any difference in content.

So I ask again, would an adcom want to two letters covering the same lab experience or a single letter? would two letters add anything new, different, impactful? No. A single letter from the same experience with multiple signatures would be preferable.

Need an opinion: is a letter from an atmospheric & oceanic sciences professor a science letter? in the letter he talks about how the class is about physics/math...

to whom should LOR writers address their letters to?

I submitted my AMCAS application on the day that the application first opened for submission, June 1.

On the advice of friends and several SDN and reddit posts, I applied to a single extreme-reach program as a dummy school for verification purposes. Haven't applied anywhere else yet, still waiting to receive my MCAT score back.

When I submitted, I inputted two letters on the AMCAS and assigned them to the reach program: a committee letter from my PBPM institution and a letter packet that the PBPM committee sends out, as well (with my 4 other LORs from profs+employers).

My question is: will schools to which I haven't yet submitted also see that these letters were documented on the AMCAS application and sent to other programs?

I ask because I received an email from my PBPM dean today saying that the committee has decided to "recommend with reservation", due to low science GPA (cGPA 4.43 including history/poli sci double major undergrad, and 3.25 sGPA at PBPM).

I have excellent ECs, my PS and my other written application materials I was told are very strong, and I haven't received my MCAT score yet but my AAMC FLs 1 and 2 scores were 514 and 513, respectively, so I'm hoping that I will have a competitive score to work with.

I know that it's a real pain in the ass to explain the lack of a committee letter to everywhere you apply but if the "with reservation" label is an even bigger obstacle, I'm stuck between a rock and hard place...

No school will not know about any letter assigned to another school. it will not know about any letter uploaded to AMCAS unless you assign it to that specific school.

Members don't see this ad :)
No school will not know about any letter assigned to another school. it will not know about any letter uploaded to AMCAS unless you assign it to that specific school.

Thank you for your quick and informative reply!

Earlier in the thread, several posters indicated that they were informed by either email or phone from JHU that they were less strict on requirements of letter than their posted admissions policy would indicate. In my experience, their long-time admission's director, now assistant dean, an lawyer by training, runs perhaps the tightest adherence to admissions policy, would not allow that. I asked him :

The letter requirements for JHU specifically state 2 science and 1 non-science faculty recommendation. Yet I had more than one student this cycle say that they have been informed by either phone or email that this is a preference of JHU and not a strict requirement. Is this accurate?

His answer (emphasis in the original)
- Our website specifically states that we require a Committee Letter if the applicant attends an institution that uses the Committee format. If that does not exist, we require three letters: two from science faculty who’ve taught the student and one from a non-science faculty member who has taught the student. In other words, it is one or the other, depending on the applicant’s undergraduate institution and is indeed strictly required.

Earlier in the thread, several posters indicated that they were informed by either email or phone from JHU that they were less strict on requirements of letter than their posted admissions policy would indicate. In my experience, their long-time admission's director, now assistant dean, an lawyer by training, runs perhaps the tightest adherence to admissions policy, would not allow that. I asked him :

The letter requirements for JHU specifically state 2 science and 1 non-science faculty recommendation. Yet I had more than one student this cycle say that they have been informed by either phone or email that this is a preference of JHU and not a strict requirement. Is this accurate?

His answer (emphasis in the original)
- Our website specifically states that we require a Committee Letter if the applicant attends an institution that uses the Committee format. If that does not exist, we require three letters: two from science faculty who’ve taught the student and one from a non-science faculty member who has taught the student. In other words, it is one or the other, depending on the applicant’s undergraduate institution and is indeed strictly required.

If the undergraduate institution uses a committee letter, but will not provide one for someone who graduated too long ago, does that person then fall under the three letters requirement?

How important are the letters behind someone's name? I work in a biotech company directly under someone with an OD. Another of my supervisors is a PhD, but they could probably speak less to my projects/abilities than my other boss.

I already have a letter from an OD from a previous job, a clinical setting.

Do I go for the PhD letter, or the stronger OD letter? I only ask because I don't know of the biases that exist within ADCOMS, i.e. will they be questioning why I am going to med school with 2 OD letters (I can articulate why well if asked).

How important are the letters behind someone's name? I work in a biotech company directly under someone with an OD. Another of my supervisors is a PhD, but they could probably speak less to my projects/abilities than my other boss.

I already have a letter from an OD from a previous job, a clinical setting.

Do I go for the PhD letter, or the stronger OD letter? I only ask because I don't know of the biases that exist within ADCOMS, i.e. will they be questioning why I am going to med school with 2 OD letters (I can articulate why well if asked).

The quality of the letter matter much more than the writer's credentials

Hello, I have two questions.

1. I have two research letter of reccomendations but one is a science letter. Should I refrain from sending two research related letters?

2. If I already submitted a letter to AMCAS and then decide not to assign it, what will happen to the letter? Will medical schools see it?

Thank you!

For schools like UCLA or Mayo that request letters of recommendation after initial review, do we assign the letters we want to send to the only upon request or do we do it when now (prior to the primary being sent out)? Thanks so much!

Hello, I have two questions.

1. I have two research letter of reccomendations but one is a science letter. Should I refrain from sending two research related letters?
If they are both from the same research project, then 2 letters would be overkill. If they are from the same lab, then iffy really depends, if not from same lab/project then fine

2. If I already submitted a letter to AMCAS and then decide not to assign it, what will happen to the letter? Will medical schools see it?
It disappears into hyperspace where no one will ever see it again

Thank you!
your welcome

For schools like UCLA or Mayo that request letters of recommendation after initial review, do we assign the letters we want to send to the only upon request or do we do it when now (prior to the primary being sent out)? Thanks so much!

Since they will be required to go thru AMCAS being sent to the school automatically and the school simply read them until they decide to, I would assign them now. As always, I suggest applicants do not assign letters until they are actually uploaded in AMCAS

UCLA
FAQs - David Geffen School of Medicine - Los Angeles, CA
Letters of Recommendation
3 - 5 letters will be requested after initial review of your application. Please note that only those letters submitted through AMCAS will be accepted.

Mayo (emphasis added): http://www.mayo.edu/mayo-clinic-sch...pplication-process/application-review-process
Application Review Process - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic
Letters of recommendation. Mayo Clinic School of Medicine will request letters of recommendation from applicants selected for final review and interview consideration. Letters can be submitted prior to this request, but will not be reviewed until the request has been formally made by the chair of the Admissions Committee.

Letters of Recommendation - M.D. Program - Mayo Clinic
Letters of Recommendation

Mayo Clinic School of Medicine requires three valid letters of recommendation or a composite letter from a premedical committee. A letter is considered valid only if it is on official letterhead and contains the handwritten signature of the letter writer....

Your recommendations should be written by people who know you well and whose opinions have bearing on the likelihood of your success in medical school. At least one of the recommendations should be from a member of the science faculty. A letter from a teaching assistant is acceptable. A maximum of 10 letters are accepted.

Trouble picking letters for TMDSAS

Hey guys, I would love your advice. For TMDSAS, we can have 4 letters. Mine are: 1 from my two yr research PI (also took his class, so professor), 1 from non-science professor, 1 from summer internship research PI. Now for the fourth one, I am deciding between my physics prof who knows me well, or another summer internship research PI who knows me well. What do you guys think I should go for? I'm thinking research PI, but I don't want to go overboard... Thanks in advance!

Disclaimer: This post was automatically generated by a random permutation of the text contents of an infinite number of recommendation letters.

This thread is for 2018 applicants (those who will be entering medical school in 2018) to ask questions about letters of recommendation.

Any separate threads in Pre-Allo dealing with this topic will be merged into this thread.

Before asking a question, PLEASE READ THE FAQ, both here in this thread AND on the AMCAS website! It is quite possible that your question will have already been answered. If you think that you have a different take on a question in the FAQ, acknowledge this in your question; everyone in pre-allo will be much more likely to help you out if they think you've done due diligence.

Last year's thread is here, credit to @WedgeDawg

Also, each thread has a search function. Please use it before asking your question by clicking the "Search this Thread" button near the top of the page.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What kinds of letters do I need to apply to medical school?
For most schools, you need a MINIMUM of two letters from science professors, and 1 letter from a non-science professor. If you have done research, a letter from your PI is also recommended, especially at research-intensive schools. (If you know of any exceptions to this rule, feel free to post in this thread with citations and I will add them). Other letters that may be helpful: a letter from an employer who knows your skills well, a letter from a physician you shadowed/worked with who knows your skills well, a letter from a volunteer coordinator who knows your skills well. The key is that the letters be exceptional. A detailed letter that can give clear examples of why you are an excellent candidate for medical school will generally trump a tepid letter from a famous person. Every school is different. Please check each school's individual letter requirements by visiting their website. A copy of an XLS spreadsheet from 2010 is attached to this post. The accuracy of this spreadsheet is unknown so be sure to check individual school websites! Keep in mind that a committee letter usually overrides any specific school requirements listed on the spreadsheet.
1a. But doesn't every school have different letter requirements?
Yes, they do. Do your homework, buy an MSAR (I hear from this thread that the way to go is to buy online access because the hard copy is not as useful:New MSAR is out), and look at the school websites. Also, AMCAS has a link to every school; use it and figure out what you need for the schools you're applying to. https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ating_schools/ You can get a rough idea from the attached XLS spreadsheet but check school websites to confirm.
1b. But do I really really have to get X type of letter? (2 non-science, 1 science, a letter from my PI)
The short answer: yes. The long answer: Maybe...it depends on the school. No one on SDN can answer this for you. But the general rule in medical school admissions is do what you are told. Get the two science letters. If you can't...call the schools you're applying to and see if they will make an exception. But be aware that the answer may be no.

2. I am a non-traditional student and have been out of school for awhile. Can I get around the letter requirements?

The simple answer is probably no. If you are a non-traditional student, this doesn't mean that you have an easier time getting into medical school; the same hoops still need to be jumped through. Being out of school for awhile is likely a problem in itself; schools want to see recent evidence that you can handle the coursework necessary to get through medical school. Take some classes, form relationships, and get the letters you need to. If you must, you can contact each school individually to see if they would be ok with you submitting alternate letters, but be aware that the answer may be "no".

3. My school has a medical school admissions committee, and they produce a committee letter. But the letter won't be released until really LATE! (August, September, October). Can I just skip the committee and collect my own letters?
The general wisdom on this topic is that if your school has a committee, USE IT! If you don't, you will be asked why and will need a very good reason. You are circumventing the committee at your own risk.

4. How/when can I submit letters of req to AMCAS?
Once the application opens in May, you may begin submitting letters to AMCAS. Before you can mail a letter in, you must "create' the letter in your AMCAS application. This involves you telling AMCAS who the letter writer is and naming the letter in AMCAS. AMCAS will then give this letter an ID number. It is important for you to give your letter writer both your AMCAS ID number and the Letter ID number to avoid any snafus with lost letters. Your letter writer can then mail the letter into AMCAS with these two pieces of information, and the letter will be uploaded to your file and will be available to assign to any school you wish. I am told that while AMCAS will accept documents without your AMCAS ID on them, you MUST have the Letter ID or AMCAS will not accept it. I don't have firsthand knowledge of whether or not this is true.

You can create and submit letters at any time, including after you submit your application and after you are verified. This is one of the few parts of the application you can edit after submission.

5. Do I have to know which letters are going to which school when I first submit my AMCAS application?
NO! You can submit your application without assigning letters. Again, this is one of the few parts of the application that can be altered later. HOWEVER, once you assign a letter to a school, you CANNOT un-assign it. If the letter is present in AMCAS, and you assign it to a school, it WILL go to that school. However, if you "create" the letter in AMCAS, assign it to a school, but your letter writer never sends the letter in, you can notify AMCAS (and the school, through the AMCAS application) that the letter will no longer be sent.

6. How many schools use the AMCAS Letter service?
This year, it looks like all but 4 schools that participate in AMCAS are participating in the letter service. Those non-participating schools are:
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center School of Medicinein Shreveport
Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans
Universidad Central Del Caribe
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine.

The participating schools can be found here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ating_schools/

7. Is it in my best interest to have my letter writers write different letters for each school?
Probably not. AMCAS can only hold a maximum of 10 letters for you. If you need a minimum of 3 letters for each school, these slots will be used up rather quickly.

8. What are letter services such as Interfolio, and why do people use them?
Interfolio and other companies provide secure online letter holding services. You can have your letters uploaded to these services at any time so that you're not scrambling at the last minute (or during the summer!) to get letters into your application. This can be especially beneficial when you are 9 months or so out from your planned application cycle, but know the professor you have NOW will write you a great letter. You can have them write the letter, upload it to a letter service, and then many months later have the letter sent to AMCAS once the application opens. When you do this, you have the ability to add on both your AMCAS ID and the Letter ID to the letter. All your letter writer needs to do is upload the letter (or mail it in) on letterhead and with a signature. These sites are secure and they do not allow you to read the letter beforehand.

9. What else about letters do I need to know?
Your letter must be SIGNED, and should be on OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD whenever possible. This is something that holds people up every year. Some schools will even hold up your application because of this. Also, AMCAS has a beautiful FAQ dealing with letters here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...ding_page.html

10. How should I ask someone for a letter of req?
On this one, I will give my own experience. For each letter writer, I prepared a packet. In the packet I had:
A list of all of my science grades (or non-science grades for a non-science prof)
A copy of my resume
A rough draft of my personal statement
A guide to writing medical school letters (which can be found by googling), a reminder that the letter needed to be signed and on letterhead.

Before handing them this (because who wants all that before they even say yes!) I asked them point blank if they "would feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation for medical school". Always do this in person!!! If they hesitate...walk away. Seriously. You don't want this person writing your letter.

When they enthusiastically said yes, I pulled the packet out of my backpack and gave it to them.

Because I used Interfolio, I did not need to provide them with my AMCAS ID or Letter ID, but instead told them that they would get an email from Interfolio that evening with instructions on how to upload the letter. Give them a FIRM deadline (2-4 weeks seems to work best) for when you need the letter. Don't ask at the last minute. Don't ask when you think a billion other people will be asking. Do offer to provide them with any other supplementary information they would like. And do give them a thank-you note (and maybe a Starbucks card) when they submit the letter.

11. OMG! My letter writer has not written my letter!!! It has been minutes/hours/days/weeks/months and I'm freaking out!! What do I do!?
First, stop by or email and gently remind them that you need the letter by X date. If this doesn't work, I have given them a premature Thank-You note with a small token, and this seems to light a fire. I recommended this method to someone on SDN last year and it apparently worked like a charm.

If this isn't working....you do the same thing you do whenever something goes awry - find a plan B. Ask someone else...two other people even, just in case this person does not come through. You can't have too many letters. But you can have too few.

12. Do I have to waive my right to see the letters?
No. But if you don't schools might not see them as letters that carry much weight. Waive your right. If you know the person well enough, you should have a pretty good idea of what they are going to write.

13. If I apply this June, and I have given every school my 5 chosen LOR's with committee letter through AMCAS virtual evals upload by my prehealth office, and then I get anther LOR over the summer/fall and want to send it to all schools in December, do I have to have the prof mail it to all 25 schools or will AMCAS distribute it?

or, tl;dr: Can I submit my application without the letters?
You can add a letter at ANY time in AMCAS, have it sent to AMCAS, and AMCAS will distribute it.
You may want to shoot an email to each school letting them know to expect another letter just in case. They should be updating your file continuously (they will want your current contact info, and often people change their addresses mid cycle) but they may not always do it in a timely manner.

Please send me a PM if you know of additional questions suitable for the FAQ.

Trouble picking letters for TMDSAS

Hey guys, I would love your advice. For TMDSAS, we can have 4 letters. Mine are: 1 from my two yr research PI (also took his class, so professor), 1 from non-science professor, 1 from summer internship research PI. Now for the fourth one, I am deciding between my physics prof who knows me well, or another summer internship research PI who knows me well. What do you guys think I should go for? I'm thinking research PI, but I don't want to go overboard... Thanks in advance!

Physics Prof for Texas in my view

Hey I have not been able to get a hold of one of my two professors that I need for a LOR. If I get a LOR from a professor who is apart of the Faculty of Medicine at a university I did not attend, would this still count as a medical science faculty member? Or does it have to be from the university I attended?

Hey I have not been able to get a hold of one of my two professors that I need for a LOR. If I get a LOR from a professor who is apart of the Faculty of Medicine at a university I did not attend, would this still count as a medical science faculty member? Or does it have to be from the university I attended?
It would not count in the eyes of some adcoms but may pass the requirement

Hey all, I have been out of school for a while and took post-bac classes and have gotten a letter from an O chem lab instructor(PHD) (2 classes) should be strong. I also have another from an MD who teaches a Human nutrition course, would these letters cover the "2 science" requirement?

Hey all, I have been out of school for a while and took post-bac classes and have gotten a letter from an O chem lab instructor(PHD) (2 classes) should be strong. I also have another from an MD who teaches a Human nutrition course, would these letters cover the "2 science" requirement?
yes

I have just been told I will be getting a letter packet even though I am too far out for the committee letter! Is there a standard to how many letters are included? I have two or three very strong science professor letters, one from my thesis advisor (strong, but that was a long time ago), one from a non-science instructor (strong, but he taught me years ago), and I've been promised a very strong letter from my PI. I also have one from work (11 years at one firm), my volunteer supervisor, and a doctor. I know the committee will only want to include the strongest letters, but is there a typical combination? Would I leave certain ones out to send individually?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have just been told I will be getting a letter packet even though I am too far out for the committee letter! Is there a standard to how many letters are included? I have two or three very strong science professor letters, one from my thesis advisor (strong, but that was a long time ago), one from a non-science instructor (strong, but he taught me years ago), and I've been promised a very strong letter from my PI. I also have one from work (11 years at one firm), my volunteer supervisor, and a doctor. I know the committee will only want to include the strongest letters, but is there a typical combination? Would I leave certain ones out to send individually?

The standards for committee letters or letter packets are entirely up to your prehealth committee. All letters in the packets will be read and I advise against sending both a letter packet and individual letters as it can cause delays and confusion in processing in a few different ways.

1) Part of marking an application complete is fulfilling the letter requirement. That will usually be checking off either committee letter/packet or 3 individual letters. Lets suppose you assign an individual letter and the letter packet (which counts as a single letter). Who is ever reviewing the intake may get the individual letter first, and therefore marks you down as 1 of 3 individual letters. Then the letter packet shows up. Since you appear to have chosen the individual letter requirement, it now marks this entry as letter 2 (even though it has multiple letters, it will still be a single letter entry in the system). And now it waits for the 3rd letter. You may not get marked complete without intervention here, thus delaying application.

2) Your letter packet arrives and it fulfills the letter requirement and the application goes off into review. But then your strong individual letter shows up. But your application may already be in the hands of a reviewer in static format (ie PDF) and the last letter didnt get there in time. It may not be seen until later in the process and after you have been reviewed.

The standards for committee letters or letter packets are entirely up to your prehealth committee. All letters in the packets will be read and I advise against sending both a letter packet and individual letters as it can cause delays and confusion in processing in a few different ways.

1) Part of marking an application complete is fulfilling the letter requirement. That will usually be checking off either committee letter/packet or 3 individual letters. Lets suppose you assign an individual letter and the letter packet (which counts as a single letter). Who is ever reviewing the intake may get the individual letter first, and therefore marks you down as 1 of 3 individual letters. Then the letter packet shows up. Since you appear to have chosen the individual letter requirement, it now marks this entry as letter 2 (even though it has multiple letters, it will still be a single letter entry in the system). And now it waits for the 3rd letter. You may not get marked complete without intervention here, thus delaying application.

2) Your letter packet arrives and it fulfills the letter requirement and the application goes off into review. But then your strong individual letter shows up. But your application may already be in the hands of a reviewer in static format (ie PDF) and the last letter didnt get there in time. It may not be seen until later in the process and after you have been reviewed.

Thank you for your response - this makes complete sense!

Do you have any suggestions for encouraging a letter writer to complete the promised letter? All of my letters should be complete, except for one, by the end of next week. I have been in touch with all writers since April, but this one is taking a bit longer. I think he is confused by the collection service (VE Collect), and is instead assuming that I will have AMCAS send the letter request.

Hello! Quick question. It appears my PI is ghosting me despite graduate research advisor writing most the letter lol. We all live in different towns, so it's hard to make face to face contact.

I have 2 other sciences so I am not freaked out, but should I be worried about not having a PI with >1000hrs research ? The research wasn't a MME or really highlight anywhere in my application as I am a non-trad and had other work related stuff to talk about. The PI may shock me and get it in by the end of July, but I would like to go ahead and finish secondaries quickly when they come.

Quick question, is anyone else having problems with their school uploading LOR to AMCAS? My university is supposed to upload my letter packet and every time I call them they are telling me AMCAS is having technical difficulties. On other forums people seem to have no trouble with AMCAS recently, which makes me think my school is the one having technical difficulties. Anyone else experiencing issues?

Quick question, is anyone else having problems with their school uploading LOR to AMCAS? My university is supposed to upload my letter packet and every time I call them they are telling me AMCAS is having technical difficulties. On other forums people seem to have no trouble with AMCAS recently, which makes me think my school is the one having technical difficulties. Anyone else experiencing issues?

If the school is having issues they should be contacting AMCAS

Hello! Quick question. It appears my PI is ghosting me despite graduate research advisor writing most the letter lol. We all live in different towns, so it's hard to make face to face contact.

I have 2 other sciences so I am not freaked out, but should I be worried about not having a PI with >1000hrs research ? The research wasn't a MME or really highlight anywhere in my application as I am a non-trad and had other work related stuff to talk about. The PI may shock me and get it in by the end of July, but I would like to go ahead and finish secondaries quickly when they come.
finish the secondaries without regard to PI letter.

@gonnif Thanks for the answer. Situation changed a bit within the last two days..

I was going to use one of my Science Letters from a Dual Credit class in high school which I received Community College Gen Bio Credit. The instructor knows me well and he said it was strong. I had some pushback from a school today saying it would not fulfil their requirements. That school only requires 1 Sci Letter, but many require 2 and I was hoping this would be the 2nd.

Is the dual credit/HS Chemistry course pretty much a no go at all schools or do you think it could suffice?

I’ve considered asking if he could reword to soften any mentions of high school or making an additional effort for the PI letter. Any recommendations?

@gonnif Thanks for the answer. Situation changed a bit within the last two days..

I was going to use one of my Science Letters from a Dual Credit class in high school which I received Community College Gen Bio Credit. The instructor knows me well and he said it was strong. I had some pushback from a school today saying it would not fulfil their requirements. That school only requires 1 Sci Letter, but many require 2 and I was hoping this would be the 2nd.

Is the dual credit/HS Chemistry course pretty much a no go at all schools or do you think it could suffice?

I’ve considered asking if he could reword to soften any mentions of high school or making an additional effort for the PI letter. Any recommendations?

It will probably pass muster for technical fulfillment of requirement but will have little impact or possibly negative impact with adcom
("This kid couldnt even get a real college professor to write LOR?" "Had to go back to HS?)

You will find that many professors or PI will not write a letter during the summer as they are away, which is common.

So does this mean that a premed committee letter will take the place of the required letters from science professors at most med schools?

So does this mean that a premed committee letter will take the place of the required letters from science professors at most med schools?

Yes

Lets clear this up since applicants confuse it all the time: You follow one of the following methods

Committee Method: If you are using a committee letter, the requirements are set by the undergraduate institution
OR
Individual LOR Method : If you are sending in individual letters, the requirements are set by each medical school

The two methods do not overlap. You pick a method and follow it.
You do not need to follow the requirements for individual letters if you are using a committee letter.
For a committee letter you follow the policy of your own undergraduate institution

If there is a problem with a letter (i.e no signature), will I need to request a new LOR from amcas for my writer or can they re-upload with the initial LOR request form?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If there is a problem with a letter (i.e no signature), will I need to request a new LOR from amcas for my writer or can they re-upload with the initial LOR request form?

If you havent assigned letters to schools yet and you have less than 10 letters loaded in AMCAS, request an entirely new letter with new letter ID and do not send existing letter to schools. This method will show only the new letter to the school.

If the letter is already sent, then have your recommender uploaded a new letter to the existing ID. This method is append the new letter to the old letter.

So I'm one of these *******es who forgot to remind my references of using a letterhead and it turns out one of them didn't. How do I re-submit the letter through AMCAS after submission? I was verified a month ago.

Also, I use interfolio to handle all my letters.

So I'm one of these *******es who forgot to remind my references of using a letterhead and it turns out one of them didn't. How do I re-submit the letter through AMCAS after submission? I was verified a month ago.

If you havent assigned letters to schools yet and you have less than 10 letters loaded in AMCAS, request an entirely new letter with new letter ID and do not send existing letter to schools. This method will show only the new letter to the school.

If the letter is already sent, then have your recommender uploaded a new letter to the existing ID. This method is append the new letter to the old letter.

I have a few individual letters on top of my committee letter. One of the writers I asked was battling a serious illness the past year or two, but the last I spoke with him he had recovered. He has not submitted my LOR and I haven't been able to get in contact with him. I spoke to someone else at my institution who fears that he is ill again. At this point, fearing that he is unwell, I don't want to bother him anymore for the letter. I had input the letter into AMCAS and submitted it to all schools, however, I do not need this letter for any letter requirement so I have filled out the form on AMCAS to say that I am no longer submitting it.

Problem is that I have submitted almost all my secondaries, in some specifically indicating that I will be receiving a LOR from him. My concerns are;
1. Should I contact all schools that this letter was originally assigned to to tell them I won't be submitting it anymore? Or will AMCAS do this for me?
2. If AMCAS will inform schools the letter is no longer coming --> for schools where I specified that I would be submitting this letter on the secondary, should I contact them and ask them to remove it?
3. If I do need to contact schools directly --> Is this seen as a bad thing? Should I give them an explanation of the situation or is it better just to send a straight forward note saying I wish to remove the letter from my application?
4. If I should give them an explanation, how specific should I be? I don't really want to divulge my letter writers medical issues. I am also not 100% sure that the reason he is not responding to me is due to illness, there could be some other explanation. So I don't want to say they will not be submitting due to a medical condition if that turns out not to be the case.

I'm very anxious about this, and would hate for all my applications to be held up because of this :( any advice would be greatly appreicated!

I hear most people taking about submitting at least 4 letters even if the requirements for most schools are "at least 3 letters of recommendation". Is it viewed as a negative if we only submit 3?

I have a few individual letters on top of my committee letter. One of the writers I asked was battling a serious illness the past year or two, but the last I spoke with him he had recovered. He has not submitted my LOR and I haven't been able to get in contact with him. I spoke to someone else at my institution who fears that he is ill again. At this point, fearing that he is unwell, I don't want to bother him anymore for the letter. I had input the letter into AMCAS and submitted it to all schools, however, I do not need this letter for any letter requirement so I have filled out the form on AMCAS to say that I am no longer submitting it.

Problem is that I have submitted almost all my secondaries, in some specifically indicating that I will be receiving a LOR from him. My concerns are;
1. Should I contact all schools that this letter was originally assigned to to tell them I won't be submitting it anymore? Or will AMCAS do this for me?
2. If AMCAS will inform schools the letter is no longer coming --> for schools where I specified that I would be submitting this letter on the secondary, should I contact them and ask them to remove it?
3. If I do need to contact schools directly --> Is this seen as a bad thing? Should I give them an explanation of the situation or is it better just to send a straight forward note saying I wish to remove the letter from my application?
4. If I should give them an explanation, how specific should I be? I don't really want to divulge my letter writers medical issues. I am also not 100% sure that the reason he is not responding to me is due to illness, there could be some other explanation. So I don't want to say they will not be submitting due to a medical condition if that turns out not to be the case.

I'm very anxious about this, and would hate for all my applications to be held up because of this :( any advice would be greatly appreicated!

This situation isnt completely hopeless; you can always serve as a bad example

1) why are submitting both indivdual letters and a committee letter when most schools clearly state they would prefer solely a committee letter and, if not available, then individual letters?
2) why are you assigning letters prior to actually having them in AMCAS? Your situation is why I always advise applicants never to assign letters until they are actually in AMCAS.
3) Why would sign and submit a secondary stating a letter is coming without confirmation that is true?

Now that you gave been duly admonished
1) follow the procedure on page 62 of AMCAS instruction for having AMCAS inform school letter is not coming
2) I would contact all the schools, particularly those you have listed on your secondary as coming, with a very, very brief explanation as to why this is no longer coming . Example below
3) And I would say you must say the "serious illness" piece, otherwise you may look like an idiot or, worse, have an open question as to why suddenly this professor decided not to write a letter for you (maybe because you are an idiot). Leaving an open question in an adcom's mind can be a dangerous thing. Some of them dont have my gentle, supportive nature and can be absolute, vicious, cold-hearted, bastards ready to berate anxious applicants at a moment's notice

To whom it may concern

Due to an serious illness, Professor Smith of State University, (AMCAS Letter ID xxxxx) will not be submitting a letter on my behalf. I have followed the AMCAS procedure to have all schools notified the this letter is no longer being sent. Could you please note this in my application (and, specifically, on my secondary where I noted this letter to be expected). Thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

Yours truly

A. D. Umb, applicant
AMCAS ID (your ID)

I hear most people taking about submitting at least 4 letters even if the requirements for most schools are "at least 3 letters of recommendation". Is it viewed as a negative if we only submit 3?

no, if the letters are good, solid evaluations and recommendations its fine. Sending more letters because you think you should be sending more letters wont help

Hi,
My AMCAS application is currently in line to get verified. Today, my pre health office just notified me they uploaded my committee letter and AMCAS confirmed they received it. I added the letter to one of the schools, and now it tells me to update my application. If I update my application, will I lose my spot in the verification line? I'm sort of confused. Thanks.

no, if the letters are good, solid evaluations and recommendations its fine. Sending more letters because you think you should be sending more letters wont help
Indeed. SDNers must resist the mindset of more is always better. We have to read the damn things after all, and they gel after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.