*Official June 2017 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICUBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread for this month so let's get this one going! Share study plans, questions, and motivation.

My test is June 17th and I started using TBR over winter break and doing ~15 hours each week during the semester leading up to full time studying starting in May.

What's everyone else's plans? Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

ALTIUS HAS BEEN THE HARDEST TEST I HAVE TAKEN lol

Yeah! I don't know if that is good or bad lol I did Kaplan last time around. Scored a 507. But there exams missed the mark by quite a bit. Questions were nowhere near as difficult as they needed to be. So for I am impressed. I am excited to try out some of the mini exams. Hoping to get to one today!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping to be done content by May 3 - I'm writing 6/17. I plan to do the 5 TPR course tests as I finish off content then focus on NS/EK/AAMC exams. I have all 10 NS and 5 EK exams but would only have time to do 8 of these, does anyone have any suggestions for which 8 I should prioritize? I was thinking of doing EK 1-5 and NS 1-3.
I'm testing the same day!

I'm testing June 30th! I've been studying on and off since February with BR. Good luck to everyone and hopefully we all test well. :nod:

I'm testing June 30th! I've been studying on and off since February with BR. Good luck to everyone and hopefully we all test well. :nod:
I'm taking it June 30th as well! I haven't started studying yet. I know I'll hate myself for it but I will only have 8 weeks to prepare so I'm going to be studying all day, every day for those 8 weeks. Are you applying this summer as well?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking it June 30th as well! I haven't started studying yet. I know I'll hate myself for it but I will only have 8 weeks to prepare so I'm going to be studying all day, every day for those 8 weeks. Are you applying this summer as well?
The day I take my Exam I am going to jump for joy (literally) lol. For the past few weeks I've done nothing but stare at these books and my wall. I've been studying almost all day everyday and staring at these books. What company are you going to use to prepare?

Yes! I am going to submit my apps on the first day and designate my app to a Med school I would never consider. Then I am going to hope I get some love from Med schools come August.

The day I take my Exam I am going to jump for joy (literally) lol. For the past few weeks I've done nothing but stare at these books and my wall. I've been studying almost all day everyday and staring at these books. What company are you going to use to prepare?

Yes! I am going to submit my apps on the first day and designate my app to a Med school I would never consider. Then I am going to hope I get some love from Med schools come August.

I've been seeing a lot of people say that. Why do you pick a throw away school? I was just going to pick the one I want to apply to for ED so they'd have everything and then they'd just be waiting for my score to arrive. Could you explain to me if/why that isn't a good idea (sorry, I just recently decided to apply this summer so I've been rushed trying to get all the app info).
I have the Kaplan book set, a Princeton Review practice book, and then I'm going to order the AAMC section bank, one FL practice test, and the CARS q pack. I'm planing on reviewing all of the content for 2.5 weeks once my finals for this semester are over and then using the remaining 5ish weeks to just do practices tests and do a million practice questions. What are you using?

I've been seeing a lot of people say that. Why do you pick a throw away school? I was just going to pick the one I want to apply to for ED so they'd have everything and then they'd just be waiting for my score to arrive. Could you explain to me if/why that isn't a good idea (sorry, I just recently decided to apply this summer so I've been rushed trying to get all the app info).
I have the Kaplan book set, a Princeton Review practice book, and then I'm going to order the AAMC section bank, one FL practice test, and the CARS q pack. I'm planing on reviewing all of the content for 2.5 weeks once my finals for this semester are over and then using the remaining 5ish weeks to just do practices tests and do a million practice questions. What are you using?
From my understanding you don't want to become a re-applicant if your MCAT score is below average. I want to apply as an ED applicant as well, but I am a little skeptical I may not get the MCAT score I am looking for. If someone can correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I have read from a few threads on SDN. If I feel confident before June 1st I may just go ahead and apply ED, but I will have to see how things go.

That sounds like a solid study plan. I ordered the section bank and FL a few weeks ago. And I am using BR for pretty much everything, except for CARS and Psych/Soc. I'm going to use Khan for Psych/Soc and EK for CARS. So far content studying hasn't been terrible (except for Physics lol).

From my understanding you don't want to become a re-applicant if your MCAT score is below average. I want to apply as an ED applicant as well, but I am a little skeptical I may not get the MCAT score I am looking for. If someone can correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I have read from a few threads on SDN. If I feel confident before June 1st I may just go ahead and apply ED, but I will have to see how things go.

That sounds like a solid study plan. I ordered the section bank and FL a few weeks ago. And I am using BR for pretty much everything, except for CARS and Psych/Soc. I'm going to use Khan for Psych/Soc and EK for CARS. So far content studying hasn't been terrible (except for Physics lol).

So using a throw away school would disqualify you from applying to a school you actually want to go to for early decision, correct? I don't think I'm going to do the throw away school thing haha I'm just going to take my chances and hope I do well on the MCAT.
I'll also be using the khan academy videos.
I'm mostly worried about the biochem stuff since it's such a huge chunk of the test and I haven't had the class yet haha

So using a throw away school would disqualify you from applying to a school you actually want to go to for early decision, correct? I don't think I'm going to do the throw away school thing haha I'm just going to take my chances and hope I do well on the MCAT.
I'll also be using the khan academy videos.
I'm mostly worried about the biochem stuff since it's such a huge chunk of the test and I haven't had the class yet haha
Thats correct! I guess it is preference and how confident you feel about the MCAT. I may be saying something totally different in a month, who knows lol.

Khan Academy videos have been amazing so far. Same here!!! I've been using SO many resources for Biochem. I've been watching Kevin Ahern on Youtube for Biochem, and I scored mediocre on my first Biochem section in BR.

Thats correct! I guess it is preference and how confident you feel about the MCAT. I may be saying something totally different in a month, who knows lol.

Khan Academy videos have been amazing so far. Same here!!! I've been using SO many resources for Biochem. I've been watching Kevin Ahern on Youtube for Biochem, and I scored mediocre on my first Biochem section in BR.

Ok that's good to know! I'll have to check those videos out! Good luck with everything!

Taking it June 16th! Took the in-class Kaplan course and thought it was okay, they mainly tested you on strategies not so much content which is good/bad for some people. The good thing I feel I got out of it were the resources they provided such as a professor that I can email regarding questions, TON of practice material from AAMC and Kaplan, helped push me through most of the material, and three 1-on-1 sessions w/ a Kaplan instructor (4th year med student atm) that can help me through the way. I am taking my first FL practice exam this Saturday and going to talk to him on Sunday about it. What I've noticed when doing practice sections/passages is just because you know the content, doesn't mean you'll get the answer correct (bit me in the butt a bunch of times), so practice practice practice on passages is my plan from here on out :dead: Does anybody on here know if 2 FL every other week w/ 1 FL in between is a good idea or have an opinion on this method?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking it June 17th, and doubts are already starting to bubble up to the surface. I'm a non-trad (graduated in 2015, been working two jobs as a medical interpreter/clinical support) and I initially took the exam last year. Didn't do so hot despite thinking it would go alright. This time around there is a lot more going for me, but I can't help but feel down?
I've been studying on and off since February, taking a leave of absence from work for the next 7 weeks. But someone it still doesn't feel like enough. Anyone else feeling this way?

Reactions: 1 users
Taking it June 17th, and doubts are already starting to bubble up to the surface. I'm a non-trad (graduated in 2015, been working two jobs as a medical interpreter/clinical support) and I initially took the exam last year. Didn't do so hot despite thinking it would go alright. This time around there is a lot more going for me, but I can't help but feel down?
I've been studying on and off since February, taking a leave of absence from work for the next 7 weeks. But someone it still doesn't feel like enough. Anyone else feeling this way?

I'm definitely feeling this way. I wanted to used my sick/vacation days for interviews, but now I'm thinking of taking them so I can have full study days. So many doubts.

I am applying this cycle. If you apply to a throw away school as soon as the applications open, won't applying in mid July once you get back your MCAT scores decrease your chances of getting an interview to the schools you truly want to go to, compared to applying in June? I might be mistaken about this.

I am applying this cycle. If you apply to a throw away school as soon as the applications open, won't applying in mid July once you get back your MCAT scores decrease your chances of getting an interview to the schools you truly want to go to, compared to applying in June? I might be mistaken about this.

I keep getting mixed answers regarding this :( Some say as long as you submit for verification on day 1 to one school it'll be okay...others say the last date I should take it is the last one in May...

You do not need to take the test in May, I have spoke with countless admission committee members on the virtual fair that AAMC had and asked if taking the MCAT in June will decrease any chance of getting an interview. All of them said no because they end up processing EVERYTHING in August, which your scores will be known in July.

You do not need to take the test in May, I have spoke with countless admission committee members on the virtual fair that AAMC had and asked if taking the MCAT in June will decrease any chance of getting an interview. All of them said no because they end up processing EVERYTHING in August, which your scores will be known in July.

Super reassuring, thanks! :)
A good late MCAT is definitely better than a mediocre earlier one.

Super reassuring, thanks! :)
A good late MCAT is definitely better than a mediocre earlier one.

No problem, and exactly. If a month from the test I receive a FL score that is mediocre and I have been consistent with that score up until then, I am pushing my test date back and probably going to apply the next cycle. Sucks to wait another year but it's better to know for certain that you'll get a good score than go into the application cycle with a "Whatever, I'll just apply with any score I get" mentality.

Taking the exam for the second time on June 30th! Got a 505 on my last attempt in July/16 :(. I am currently still doing content review and will be doing so until mid May. Anyone else in the same boat?

Taking the exam for the second time on June 30th! Got a 505 on my last attempt in July/16 :(. I am currently still doing content review and will be doing so until mid May. Anyone else in the same boat?

Did the 505 get you any interviews?

Haven't got to section banks yet. Eekk
Good luck, be sure to know the structure, polarity, 1 & 3 letter codes for amino acids. They're everywhere! Right now, I'm looking over what I got wrong and reviewing those topics.

Yay! I know all that!! I used two apps for that. Everything else scares me, lol.

I only got an interview from my state's DO school. I only applied to 1 DO and 11 MD though. I had a 3.7 GPA and really good ecs, but was told my MCAT was too low by multiple schools.

Just 1 point off the median for a lot of schools... that's brutal. What schools did you apply to?

How is everyone scoring on practice exams? I'm wondering where I should be falling.. I scored 497, 499, and 501 on my last few Kaplan practice FLs and then I just scored a 503 on my AAMC FL. Is there enough time to bring my scores up to at least a 506?

How is everyone scoring on practice exams? I'm wondering where I should be falling.. I scored 497, 499, and 501 on my last few Kaplan practice FLs and then I just scored a 503 on my AAMC FL. Is there enough time to bring my scores up to at least a 506?

I hope so, because I just took a diagnostic and got 498! And I'm testing on 6/17!

Finished bioqpack1, going over it today (86%). Did a biochemistry section from altius FL 10, scored a 126, I want to get to the 128-130 range. Basically doing FLs and tons a questions until I test

Yep! I'm starting tomorrow and am planning on doing about 2.5 weeks of reading through all of the Kaplan books just so I've at least been exposed to all of the material. Then I'm just going to spend the rest of my time doing FLs, KA materials, and the AAMC materials. June 30th will be my first time taking it though so I'm really hoping I can pull off a 508+ this time around. The next 2 months of my life will be dedicated COMPLETELY to this test. Going to take my first FL tomorrow morning to see where I stand before I start studying so I'm hoping I'm pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

Retaking the exam. I took the exam last September and got a 498. CARS section killed me. I did get one interview but I got waitlisted.

This time around my practice NS full length are around 505. I am really hoping I can get 505+. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I took 3 FLs ( 1 Kaplan, 1 TPR and 1 NS). Scoring around 503....hopefully I can get it up to 510 by test day. We can do this!

Quick question guys: Do you know if GPCRs are integral membrane proteins or transmembrane proteins? Kaplan says integral but I thought they are classified under transmembrane proteins, since they have those 7 helices and all :confused:

Quick question guys: Do you know if GPCRs are integral membrane proteins or transmembrane proteins? Kaplan says integral but I thought they are classified under transmembrane proteins, since they have those 7 helices and all :confused:
- Transmembrane proteins are a type of integral membrane protein.

Hey! I'm taking the exam June 16, 2017. I have a quick question. Does anyone have access to the Online Official Guide with AAMC? I do, and I'm struggling with the second passage over transmission of genetic information from gene to protein. Not really my strong suit. Anyone care to help me out? Thanks.