Official July 2017 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NarutoMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I couldn't find a July 2017 MCAT thread so I wanted to make one for everyone who is going to take it to chime in. Feel free to post comments, advice, tips, questions, or any concerns you may have. Us Julyers (if that is even a word) need to stick together. Happy studying and good luck all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Officially signed up for my July MCAT!! Originally planned for June, but I think the extra time to practice will be beneficial..

Officially signed up for my July MCAT!! Originally planned for June, but I think the extra time to practice will be beneficial..
Good luck. I was beginning to wonder what happened to all the people taking the MCAT this year. It seems like most MCAT threads this year are unusually inactive compared to previous years.

Reactions: 1 user
July 22, boy I think we are in a time warp because it seems to be hurtling toward me at an extremely angry rate of speed.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you feeling? I just did the AAMC sample test yesterday and got 61% in CP and in BB, so I'm feeling quite alarmed. I got mid-80's in CARS and Psych but the hard science part is so brutal. Seems impossible to get through it in the time they give you.

How are you feeling? I just did the AAMC sample test yesterday and got 61% in CP and in BB, so I'm feeling quite alarmed. I got mid-80's in CARS and Psych but the hard science part is so brutal. Seems impossible to get through it in the time they give you.

I haven't taken the sample, so I don't know how tough it is. I have only taken the OG and got in the 90s for the sciences. If you are running out of time, that just means you might be focusing too much on the nuances. For the sciences, I just skim through the passages and highlight the key points/constants/new equations/etc. Most of the time, you can answer the questions without referring to the passage. You still have time to refine your strategy and find one that will work for you.

What you say is certainly a possibility. I don't think you can try to do a detailed read of those big nasty science passages in CP and BB, so I will have to start taking a more balanced approach like skimming it and then going to the questions. Like you said. Thanks

Yeah my timing for the sciences is pretty good (on Kaplan FL's), I need to really hit my C/P review though because it's killing me. What's your approach to CARS? Ironically, my timing is terrible on CARS and I'm an English minor -_-

Well I have been practicing law for the last 19 years, so I figure if I can't read some passages and answer them, then I am beyond help. So honestly, I just read the thing, for comprehension, then go through the questions. Many of them can just be answered straight away. Others I might look back at the passage. I need to really hit the science stuff though. 61% ain't gonna cut it!

Well I have been practicing law for the last 19 years, so I figure if I can't read some passages and answer them, then I am beyond help. So honestly, I just read the thing, for comprehension, then go through the questions. Many of them can just be answered straight away. Others I might look back at the passage. I need to really hit the science stuff though. 61% ain't gonna cut it!
Have you tried using Anki to make flashcards? It's been my holy grail for memorizing info!

Have not done that. I'm working through EK and Kaplan books, plus AAMC materials. Im going to make appoint of brushing up on amino acids. I also have a physiology book I've been looking over, since I never had that class.

Fellow July 22nd MCAT-er here! I'm doing a retake though, scored 505 the first time, aiming for 510+ this time. I feel so out of it though because the last time I took the MCAT was a year ago.

Hello July peeps, are you all applying this cycle? And if yes, would it be considered late for this cycle? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello July peeps, are you all applying this cycle? And if yes, would it be considered late for this cycle? Thanks!
I'm submitting my primary to be verified by the end of June, then adding my schools in August when my new MCAT score is released. That's not too late

OoooOoOoOoO okay, cause I'm about to join you guys LOL
I should add that I did the same thing my first application cycle: submitted it for verification pending MCAT score. I was offered 2 interviews last cycle. Maybe that helps you.

Did the AAMC FL #1 today and was pleasantly surprised, well maybe more correct to say I was pumped. 127, 131, 127, 126 = 511. So much better than my sample test score. I was prepared for low 500's. Anyone else doing the AAMC FL's?

Did the AAMC FL #1 today and was pleasantly surprised, well maybe more correct to say I was pumped. 127, 131, 127, 126 = 511. So much better than my sample test score. I was prepared for low 500's. Anyone else doing the AAMC FL's?
Yes, I did the sample test over the weekend. I found it to be a bit too easy- got about 93% overall. Looking forward to the scored Fl1 and hoping to get similar results.

Man, if you got that high of a score on the sample, you'll probably slaughter AAMC FL Practice Exam #1. Post your results when you take it.

I'm also taking the july 22 mcats and i'm freaking out because i dont wanna retake it and my issues are with timing. without timing im great and i know the contents and all. I dont know what to do. :(

I'm also taking the july 22 mcats and i'm freaking out because i dont wanna retake it and my issues are with timing. without timing im great and i know the contents and all. I dont know what to do. :(
What kind of strategies do you use? Which section do you have problem with timing? Science sections or CARS? For the science sections, don't read the passages like you are doing CARS passages. Rather skim and highlight the important key words (terms, equations, units, why and how of experiments, etc). Most of the time, you can answer the questions without referring to the passages. For CARS, you just have to really practice. Never spend more than 2 mins on a questions. If you don't know, make an educated guess and move on. Remember, every question is worth the same so you want to maximize your score by answering the ones you are confident in. If a passage is hard *** **** and you have no idea what it is talking about, read the topic sentence and conclusion sentence of each paragraph to get a clue of the main idea and answer the questions based on the main idea. Most of the time, that is enough to answer the questions. The goal is, never spend more than 10 mins on a passage. Pick an answer, mark it, and move on.

Hey guys! Taking the July 22nd MCAT. I just took the AAMC Sample test and my scores seemed oddly high. I am not complaining but I was just curious if you all knew whether the AAMC Sample test is well representative of the real deal? I used the reddit "correlation of aamc sample percentages to score" formulas to calculate my score and I began to wonder if the formula tends to inflate the scores a bit?

Hey guys! Taking the July 22nd MCAT. I just took the AAMC Sample test and my scores seemed oddly high. I am not complaining but I was just curious if you all knew whether the AAMC Sample test is well representative of the real deal? I used the reddit "correlation of aamc sample percentages to score" formulas to calculate my score and I began to wonder if the formula tends to inflate the scores a bit?

I don't think the Sample test is representative of the real thing. I have read many on here saying it is easier than scored FL1 and 2 and FL1/2 are no where near the difficulty of the real one for some (since there are multiple versions of the test on a given day). Like you, I was very satisfied with my score on the Sample (lol) but really, we just have to wait and see how we perform on FL1/FL2 to have a better picture. But if you have done your prep correctly, I wouldn't doubt you will replicate a similar or close to what you got on the sample. May I ask what formula are you using?

Don't bother correlating the sample test (dubious and speculative) when you can just take AAMC FL #1 and #2 (highly predictive). Or if you are feeling like things are too easy, go plow through the B/B section bank. Man that thing is absolutely killing me right now. Passage after passage of impenetrable biochem, genetics. Super hard.

Don't bother correlating the sample test (dubious and speculative) when you can just take AAMC FL #1 and #2 (highly predictive). Or if you are feeling like things are too easy, go plow through the B/B section bank. Man that thing is absolutely killing me right now. Passage after passage of impenetrable biochem, genetics. Super hard.
Yea, the SB is sure difficult. I have only completed the BS timed and got around 85%. I agree, it is much more challenging than the sample and some questions I feel were very nitty gritty. Still have CP and PS to go through before taking FL1.

What kind of strategies do you use? Which section do you have problem with timing? Science sections or CARS? For the science sections, don't read the passages like you are doing CARS passages. Rather skim and highlight the important key words (terms, equations, units, why and how of experiments, etc). Most of the time, you can answer the questions without referring to the passages. For CARS, you just have to really practice. Never spend more than 2 mins on a questions. If you don't know, make an educated guess and move on. Remember, every question is worth the same so you want to maximize your score by answering the ones you are confident in. If a passage is hard *** **** and you have no idea what it is talking about, read the topic sentence and conclusion sentence of each paragraph to get a clue of the main idea and answer the questions based on the main idea. Most of the time, that is enough to answer the questions. The goal is, never spend more than 10 mins on a passage. Pick an answer, mark it, and move on.

What i did was review contents for a month, i was studying while going to school and did alot so i just finished what i had left, and i have been doing practices everyday for 6 hours or more sometimes ill do just 3 hours but still get a lot done. My timing usually sucks on CARS more because while i got A's in english i wasnt the best at it. Sometimes in the science section when im at the last passage is when i am bad with the time but not always. I tend to do a little bit better with the sciences cause thats my major. But i never tried what you said to do with the science passages though but i will definitely do that now. ive started the section banks but havent finished it yet. I used kaplans 7 subject book review as my study guide as well as KA. But idk if its because i have always had test anxiety so once i see a timing i freak out. I know my stuff but i just dont want to fail it. Ill be good with just a 515, i just want to get in the 90th percentile. And what do you do when you second guess yourself because i do that a lot or make minor mistakes and that screws me over.

Anyone else been studying so long and hard they feel like Captain Barbosa in Pirates of the Caribbean?

"For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it. Too long I've been starving to death and haven't died. I feel nothing. Not the wind on my face nor the spray of the sea. Nor the warmth of a woman's flesh. You'd best start believing in MCATs Ms. Turner. You're in one!"

Barbossa_skeleton.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Hey!! Im taking my mcat july 21 and I am applying this cycle. I am hitting the submit button as soon as I get my scores back though

July 21 test taker here! 3rd re-take, I was pretty silly and should have voided my second score but studying has been fine so far. @NarutoMD do you have any tips for CARS? I scored 129 on the real thing both times, and consistently score 128-129 on practice tests but cant seem to break to 130.

Wow, our test is next week already. Time has gone by so fast! What is everyone's plan for this week and next week? I plan to take AAMC FL1 this Thursday and FL2 next Wednesday and review SB/notes every day until Friday.
@danae39 CARS is never my thing since I struggle with it myself. I have been scoring between 125-128 on third party tests so I don't think I can give you any advice. The only time I scored higher was on the Sample test (above 94%) but that was easier than the other tests so I don't know. But if you scored 129 on the real thing both times, I think you have the potential to score 130 or higher since the scale for scores high like that is a difference of maybe 1-2 question. With some luck, I think you can hit 130. Sorry I can't be much help.

Went by so fast! I'm taking AAMC FL#2 tomorrow. I'm struggling with the plan at this point. It feels like there is so much it is a little paralyzing. I'm going over some of the physiology that I've been reviewing, trying to get a little better at optics and circuitry, probably work on passages from B/B since those are my hardest thing by far. And keep reviewing psych/soc. And I feel like I would like to have some equations. Some people use the tutorial screen time to write equations on scratch paper. Anyone have a compact list of the most useful ones?

Hey guys! Im taking the test July 22nd as well (a re-take)! A bit nervous but Im with all of you! I am retaking AAMC FL 1 tomorrow (its been several months since I last took it). We'll see how it goes! Do you guys recommend taking one or two full length exams during the week of the test (next week)?

I am struggling so much with the chem/physics section and I have no idea why. Chemistry has always been my best subject. Anyone have any advice on how to boost my score a bit before the exam

I just finished AAMC FL1. It was tougher than the Sample, especially CARS. The scale seemed to be pretty harsh for PS. I got 520 (132 CP 128 CARS 131 BS 129 PS).

Reviewing the section bank heavily this weekend. Taking AAMC FL2 on Monday. Hopefully each of us reaches our goal score on test day!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! Im taking the test July 22nd as well (a re-take)! A bit nervous but Im with all of you! I am retaking AAMC FL 1 tomorrow (its been several months since I last took it). We'll see how it goes! Do you guys recommend taking one or two full length exams during the week of the test (next week)?

I would just take one a few days out from the exam. Taking more than that during the week of the exam can cause burn out. One and heavy review of the questions is my plan. With videos/light reading for any weak areas.

I am struggling so much with the chem/physics section and I have no idea why. Chemistry has always been my best subject. Anyone have any advice on how to boost my score a bit before the exam
Can you be more specific? Do you have problem with timing? Understanding? Application of concepts?

Today I took AAMC FL #2 and scored 4 points lower than I did on #1. Because it wouldn't have been any fun without some extra last week stress. Ready to get this over with!

Today I took AAMC FL #2 and scored 4 points lower than I did on #1. Because it wouldn't have been any fun without some extra last week stress. Ready to get this over with!
How was CARS? Was it more difficult or similar to FL1's?

In CARS I only missed 3 on FL #1, but I missed 6 on FL #2. Dropped me down two whole scaled-score points!! Have to say I had a *mildly* distracting environment this time around, but I did perceive a bit of a harder test.

In CARS I only missed 3 on FL #1, but I missed 6 on FL #2. Dropped me down two whole scaled-score points!! Have to say I had a *mildly* distracting environment this time around, but I did perceive a bit of a harder test.
Thanks. That's funny because I also experienced mildly short distraction from nearby construction during the CARS section. Good to know that FL2 CARS is harder so it will be a good prep for the real one on Saturday. Good luck and I hope you get the score you want.

Thanks man, I told you your score would be off the chain, with your sample test percentages.
Haha, thanks. I was hoping to replicate the CARS score since I have been working so hard to improve that section. Hoping to break 130 on the next one.

Haha, thanks. I was hoping to replicate the CARS score since I have been working so hard to improve that section. Hoping to break 130 on the next one.
Do you have any tips for CARS? I have been struggling to pass 126 on that one and it really drags my score down.

Do you have any tips for CARS? I have been struggling to pass 126 on that one and it really drags my score down.

Do you have an idea of what specifically is troubling you? Timing? Understanding? etc? What seems to be working for me is connecting each paragraph and seeing how they relate to each other. After summarizing each paragraph as I go along, I will summarize the whole passage in one sentence and use that as a foundation to answer any question that relates to the author's tone or opinion. For questions that are specific to the passage, I just go back and look for the answer. I usually highlight things that I find important (names, dates, opinions, etc) so I don't usually have a problem finding the source to the question. However, sometimes you will find that the answers are very subtly different which makes it hard to choose the right answer. In that case, I just go with one that I think matches with the overall theme of the passage. I hope this helps. Maybe @rabbott1971 has better tips since he seems to do extremely well on CARS.

Do you have an idea of what specifically is troubling you? Timing? Understanding? etc? What seems to be working for me is connecting each paragraph and seeing how they relate to each other. After summarizing each paragraph as I go along, I will summarize the whole passage in one sentence and use that as a foundation to answer any question that relates to the author's tone or opinion. For questions that are specific to the passage, I just go back and look for the answer. I usually highlight things that I find important (names, dates, opinions, etc) so I don't usually have a problem finding the source to the question. However, sometimes you will find that the answers are very subtly different which makes it hard to choose the right answer. In that case, I just go with one that I think matches with the overall theme of the passage. I hope this helps. Maybe @rabbott1971 has better tips since he seems to do extremely well on CARS.
Yeah Ive been doing a similar technique but have not been writing down a sentence to sum of the whole passage. I'll try that out! But mostly its the timing, I feel rushed for time but tend to do better if I pay more attention and time to a passage. But thanks for the tips!