This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are my chances at a top IM program? Currently a 3rd year at a well established DO school. This is assuming that I score well on Step 2 (goal of 270+) and do decently well on clinical evaluations.

Browsing through the top IM programs is depressing. Their rosters seldom seem to have any DO's on them. I can think of a few that have DO's (ex. vanderbilt) but it seems to be extremely rare. Can you guys shed some light on this? Thank you!!!

Step 1: 262
COMLEX 1: 831 (99.999% percentile)
top 5-10% of class - preclinical grades
4 years of unique work experience in the healthcare industry (prior to med school)
research:
-2 publications (2nd and 3rd author) - high impact cardiology journals
-2 more publications under review (both 2nd author) - high impact cardiology journals
-7 research presentations (6 poster, 1 oral)
-multiple research awards (first place presentations, researcher of year, etc)
-currently working on a few more research projects, hoping to have at least another publication and poster presentation from this
Only way to know for sure and satisfy yourself that you tried your best is to apply to all the top programs you want and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad.

Your reaches are indeed reaches unfortunately. Your Cali chances are low, given your great but not stellar application. You are competitive at UTSW and Emory, Sinai is a probably a no, and Jefferson you'd be a strong applicant for. Good luck. You'll match somewhere great with your list. Can probably cut out some of the safeties/targets in areas you don't like.[/QUOTE]

thanks, I am unsure how the process works, but should most of target/safety offer me an II, and maybe i'll get a few reach hits?

US non-Caribbean IMG with a late switch into IM. Like super late switch.
Step 1: 254
Step 2: 256
CS: Pass
2 months of USCE so far.
LoR: 2 neuro 1 IM letter all US.
One presentation and one poster but both in neuro.
Basically entire application has been geared towards neuro so far and don't have much to show on the IM side of things.

Not applying to any top programs or anything. Just wondering what my chances are for mid-tier university programs that'd give me a good shot for a heme-onc fellowship in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be competitive for every institution on your list; you may even get an IV to Duke. Step 2 score is perhaps one of the least important parts of your application; your publications and research experience more than make up for it. Also, UTSW/Baylor/Emory tend to be less competitive than Duke/Vandy/WashU so your question is answered.

I would add: Emory, UTSW, Baylor, Iowa, Northwestern, UChicago, Michigan, Georgetown, UMD, Hopkins (no reason to add other MD programs if you're applying to GWU already), Pitt. You can probably cut out a few TX/FL safeties as well; you'll match if you have 3 "safeties" including your home institution.

Thank you so much for your advice! I appreciate the reassurance; I hope you're right in thinking that my subpar step 2 did not hurt as much I think it will.

I'm looking at FREIDA stats and stalking old SDN posts but I'm having difficulty figuring out which of my programs are upper tier vs. upper-mid tier programs. I'm going to try to categorize them, would appreciate corrections/feedback. I hope I do not offend anyone with my ignorance of IM program rankings.

Mega-Reach: Duke, Vandy, WashU, NWestern
Upper: Colorado, UChicago, Emory, UTSW, Mayo, Michigan
Upper-mid: UAB, OHSU, tOSU, UVa, Baylor, Pitt, MUSC, UNC
Mid: Wake, USF Morsani, UF, GWU, Miami Jackson, VCU, Georgetown
Lower-mid: UT-Houston, Tulane, UTMB, SLU
Safety: two local university-affiliated community programs

This brings my total to 31 programs. My original post with stats is above. Would appreciate honest opinion of my chances.

What are my chances at a top IM program? Currently a 3rd year at a well established DO school. This is assuming that I score well on Step 2 (goal of 270+) and do decently well on clinical evaluations.

Browsing through the top IM programs is depressing. Their rosters seldom seem to have any DO's on them. I can think of a few that have DO's (ex. vanderbilt) but it seems to be extremely rare. Can you guys shed some light on this? Thank you!!!

4 years of unique work experience in the healthcare industry (prior to med school)
research:
-2 more publications under review (both 2nd author) - high impact cardiology journals
-currently working on a few more research projects, hoping to have at least another publication and poster presentation from this

Congratulations on clearly working your butt off for such a stellar application. If you were an MD, you'd be getting IVs from every single program. Alas the DO bias is real.

To answer your question, your chances are low. Most of the upper tier institutions do not take DOs, although you have such a strong application that you should apply and see if you land IVs. First time for everything (and everyone). You mentioned Vanderbilt by name, but they haven't taken any DOs recently; don't think you have a shot there. Moreover, you should have your research mentors call on your behalf. They should be well connected given the publications in high impact journals.

Realistically, expect to match at upper-mid tier IM programs. If you continue your current level of hard work and productivity, you'll be well positioned to match into a stellar cardiology program.

Thank you so much for your advice! I appreciate the reassurance; I hope you're right in thinking that my subpar step 2 did not hurt as much I think it will.

I'm looking at FREIDA stats and stalking old SDN posts but I'm having difficulty figuring out which of my programs are upper tier vs. upper-mid tier programs. I'm going to try to categorize them, would appreciate corrections/feedback. I hope I do not offend anyone with my ignorance of IM program rankings.

This brings my total to 31 programs. My original post with stats is above. Would appreciate honest opinion of my chances.

Realistically, I think you'll match into one of your upper or upper-mid programs.

Make no mistake though, Michigan/UChicago are notoriously selective so they will be in your mega-reach category. You will probably get 1, maybe 2, IVs from that group. There is no need to apply to your "safety" schools.

Med school: US MD ranked in the 20s
USMLE Step 1: 25x
USMLE Step 2: 26x
USMLE CS: pass
Class rank: ?
AOA: no
Honors: psych, EM
HP IM, OBGYN, Psych, Peds; P surgery
Research: 3 case reports
LOR: solid, not necessarily strong

What type of programs will I be competive for? I don't care much about geography, got no strong ties to any 1 area.

Dream: UMich, UTSW, UChicago, Northwestern, WashU, Duke, Vandy, UCLA, Stanford, UWash, BIDMC, Columbia, Cornell, Mt sinai, NYU, Penn, Yale, Mayo

Targeting: Emory, UPMC, UVA, Baylor, UCSD, Colorado, Cleveland Clinic, UNC

Main flaws are my mediocre clinical grades and research. Strength is USMLE and good med school.

What are other programs would be smart to target with? Do I have ANY chance at some of those reaches?

Last edited:
Congratulations on clearly working your butt off for such a stellar application. If you were an MD, you'd be getting IVs from every single program. Alas the DO bias is real.

To answer your question, your chances are low. Most of the upper tier institutions do not take DOs, although you have such a strong application that you should apply and see if you land IVs. First time for everything (and everyone). You mentioned Vanderbilt by name, but they haven't taken any DOs recently; don't think you have a shot there. Moreover, you should have your research mentors call on your behalf. They should be well connected given the publications in high impact journals.

Realistically, expect to match at upper-mid tier IM programs. If you continue your current level of hard work and productivity, you'll be well positioned to match into a stellar cardiology program.

Realistically, I think you'll match into one of your upper or upper-mid programs.

Make no mistake though, Michigan/UChicago are notoriously selective so they will be in your mega-reach category. You will probably get 1, maybe 2, IVs from that group. There is no need to apply to your "safety" schools.

This type of thing needs to be stickied in the DO forums because they won't ever face this reality, especially when asking for advice on whether or not it's possible for DOs to match at top IM programs because they just say it's possible without looking at the resident profiles. Once they face that then changes can be sought down the line. Otherwise it's always futile when they get to the point when they are applying for residency.

Reactions: 1 users
USMLE Step 1: 256
USMLE Step 2: 260
Research: 1 case series, 3 case reports

What type of programs will I be competive for? I don't care much about geography, got no strong ties to any 1 area.

Dream: UMich, UTSW, UChicago, Northwestern, WashU, Duke, Vandy, UCLA, Stanford, UWash, BIDMC, Columbia, Cornell, Mt sinai, NYU, Penn, Yale, Mayo

Main flaws are my mediocre clinical grades and research. Strength is USMLE and good med school.

What are other programs would be smart to target with? Do I have ANY chance at some of those reaches?

You certainly have a shot at your reaches, but like you've identified, there are some weaknesses in your application. Of that list, I think you have the best shot at getting IVs at Cornell, WashU, Yale, and Mayo. Less likely UTSW, Vandy, UWash, Yale. Probably no IVs to the other ones.

I would suggest applying to a few more upper-mid tier programs. Unless you live in Cali, UCLA/UCSD appears out of reach. Add: BU, Montefiore, Hofstra, Jefferson, Maryland, Georgetown, UAB, Case, Ohio, and you should be good.

Hi, could anyone advise me on what my chances are based on my application. Hoping to apply to university/university affiliated/strong community programs

Step 1: 239, Step 2 CK: 247 Step 2 CS (Will be taking next month, reporting period for this starts in early December unfortunately)
Non-US IMG [Medical school - United Kingdom] (Graduation 2016). Have done internship here and continuing with FY2/PGY2 training here - no gaps.
Have 5 weeks USA clinical experience with private physician with 2x US letters and 1 letter from UK.
Transcript: Average

These are the ones I am thinking of applying to - any that are inappropriate? Any others that I should realistically consider if I want to go into a competitive fellowship? Total is at 56, want to avoid applying to places with near zero chances but at the same time want to apply broadly to realistic places.

Apologies for the long list!

Reaches:
CCF, UMMS-Baystate Program, University of Connecticut, University of Kansas (Wichita), University of Kentucky, University of Missouri at Kansas, University of Missouri-Columbia, University of Cincinnati, Georgetown University Hospital, Henry Ford Hospital, Howard University Program, Louisiana State University (Shreveport), Ohio State University Hospital Program, Marshall University, Mary Hitchcock Memorial, Mayo (Arizona), Mayo (Jacksonville), Mayo (Rochester)

University/affiliated/hope i can get:
Albany Medical Center, Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech, Case Western Reserve University (MetroHealth), , Florida Hospital, University of Nevada Reno University of Oklahoma, University of Texas at Houston Program , University of Texas Health at San Antonio Program, University of Toledo, ,
University of Nevada Las Vegas, University at Buffalo, University of Arizona at South Campus Program, University of Central Florida, , Florida State University (Sarasota), , Saint Peter's University Hospital/Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn, Texas Health Presbyterian Dallas, Southern Illinois University,
Memorial Health/Mercer University School of Medicine (Savannah), Nassau University Medical Center Program, Michigan State University Program

Realistic?

Danbury, Brooklyn Hospital Center Program, Advocate Health Care (Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center) Program,
Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati Program, John H Stroger Hospital of Cook County , New York Medical College at Westchester Medical Center Program
Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center Program

Probably no IVs to Mayo Rochester, Georgetown, LSU, or Ohio. Otherwise I think you'll match with that list.

USMLE Step 1: 256
Research: 1 case series, 3 case reports

Of your dream places I think you'll get interviews at most of WashU, Mayo, Yale, UWash, UTSW, NYU, Vandy, Sinai and UMich, and you'll probably match at one of that group if you rank them as such. The rest are more reach-y but you certainly have a shot at any of them.

There are plenty of other places you could add; aside from the places TachyBrady mentioned I would consider Wisconsin, Minnesota, Brown, Dartmouth, Tufts etc.

I think that ranking is reasonable. You should have no trouble matching with that list; my guess would be either in the upper or upper-mid group, but who knows. You'll be fine regardless.

Hi, I am hoping for advice on my program list, particularly programs to subtract while ensuring a safe match or programs appropriate for my level to add. My goals are to attend a residency to set myself up for a potential Hem-onc or other competitive fellowship. I have family in the East and West but am open to the Midwest and South as well.

Medical school: state MD school, not highly ranked
Step 1: 237, Step 2 255, Step CS not taken
M3 Grades: Honors IM and Surgery, High Pass Family, Neuro, Psychiatry, Pass OB and Pediatrics
M4: completed IM sub-I, anticipate Honors
LOR: Should be strong, one from research advisor, two IM, chair letter
Class rank: Not reported, not AOA
Research: 1 first author paper original paper accepted pending revision, third and fourth author published papers, one abstract and multiple lower author posters, two papers in submission one first author

Programs by region:

East – Yale, Cornell, NYU, Mt Sinai, Albert Einstein, JHU Bayview, Brown, Dartmouth, Maryland, BU, Tufts Rutgers RWJ, Rutgers NJMS, North shore/Hofstra, Stony brook, Georgetown, GWU, Jefferson, Temple, Mt. Auburn hospital

Midwest – WashU, Mayo, UIC, Rush, Minnesota, Wisconsin, OSU, Case western, Cincinnati, Cleveland Clinic, Iowa, Nebraska

West – UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, Cedars Sinai, USC, Scripps Green, Kaiser Oakland, Virginia Mason, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Arizona-Tucson, Mayo Arizona, Baylor, UT Houston, UT San Antonio

South – Emory, UAB, UVA, VCU, UNC, MUSC, UF, USF, Miami, Wake Forest, Tulane

Hi, I am hoping for advice on my program list, particularly programs to subtract while ensuring a safe match or programs appropriate for my level to add. My goals are to attend a residency to set myself up for a potential Hem-onc or other competitive fellowship. I have family in the East and West but am open to the Midwest and South as well.

Medical school: state MD school, not highly ranked
Step 1: 237, Step 2 255, Step CS not taken
M3 Grades: Honors IM and Surgery, High Pass Family, Neuro, Psychiatry, Pass OB and Pediatrics
M4: completed IM sub-I, anticipate Honors
LOR: Should be strong, one from research advisor, two IM, chair letter
Class rank: Not reported, not AOA
Research: 1 first author paper original paper accepted pending revision, third and fourth author published papers, one abstract and multiple lower author posters, two papers in submission one first author

Programs by region:

East – Yale, Cornell, NYU, Mt Sinai, Albert Einstein, JHU Bayview, Brown, Dartmouth, Maryland, BU, Tufts Rutgers RWJ, Rutgers NJMS, North shore/Hofstra, Stony brook, Georgetown, GWU, Jefferson, Temple, Mt. Auburn hospital

Midwest – WashU, Mayo, UIC, Rush, Minnesota, Wisconsin, OSU, Case western, Cincinnati, Cleveland Clinic, Iowa, Nebraska

West – UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, Cedars Sinai, USC, Scripps Green, Kaiser Oakland, Virginia Mason, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Arizona-Tucson, Mayo Arizona, Baylor, UT Houston, UT San Antonio

South – Emory, UAB, UVA, VCU, UNC, MUSC, UF, USF, Miami, Wake Forest, Tulane

Remove: Temple, Mt. Auburn, Nebraska (do you really want to live there?). Unless you're currently living in Cali, I would remove some of them as well (i.e. Kiaser Oakland, Virginia Mason). You have a good list but you are probably selling yourself a bit short. I think you should be competitive at places like Monte, Brown, Dartmouth, Maryland, Rutgers, Hofstra, Stonybrook, GWU, Georgetown, UIC, Rush, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Case, CCF, Iowa, UNC, MUSC, Wake, Tulane, etc. and may get a few IVs to the reaches in your list. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, looking to get some advice on my school list. I go to a Mid-tier southeast school (ranked 35-50). I am open geographically to most places and eventually looking to do a cards fellowship. I feel like my scores are decent but nothing that really stands out. The one strengths of my application is probably research.

Medical School (MD Ranked 35-50)
STEP 1: 240
STEP 2: 251
Clinical Grades: Mostly HPs. H in IM, FM, Peds.
LORs: Probably not bad.
Class Rank: Not Reported (Likely top 1/3)
AOA: No
Research: 7 Publications in Cardiology (4 1st author, 1 2nd author, 2 3rd author), 5 National Conferences, 1 School Affiliated Conference

Current List: UVA, UNC, Wake, Duke, CMC, Colorado, Emory, Vandy, Miami, Gtown, GWU, NYU, BU, Baylor, Michigan, Rush, Illinois, UAB, Tulane, MUSC, UF, Brown, Dartmouth, Tufts, Jefferson, Case Western, Cincy, UPitt

Reaches: Cleveland Clinic, Northwestern, UChicago, UTSW, Cornell, Columbia, Duke, Mayo, WashU

Out of Reach? BIDMC, Mass Gen, JHU, UPenn, UCSF

Should I add any more programs?

Thanks for the advice!

research:

Penn graduated a DO last year. Though there aren't any currently I believe.

research:

What kind of "top" IM program? If it's MGH etc than your chances are probably bad. If it's some of the places that are often listed as "DO friendly" like Mayo, Emory, Yale etc than you may be a little better off although I don't think any of these places has taken a DO for the past couple years. Certainly worth applying though. Imo your best bet is (duh) going to be at places that have taken DOs recently: OHSU, UWashington, Colorado, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Minnesota, Iowa, Cleveland Clinic etc.

Also I would strongly consider one or more away rotations, especially if you have a dream program or programs that don't routinely take DOs.

Hey all, thanks in advance for reviewing my list! This forum has been incredibly helpful so far and was looking for some advice about competitiveness.

Med School: Coming from a mid tier NYC area MD program
Step 1: 210 (bad, I know)
Step 2: 234
4th Quintile (60-80%)
Pre-clinical: P/F
3rd year: Grading Scale H/HP/P/F
H: Neuro
HP: Peds, Surgery, Psych, OBGYN
P: Medicine :-( , Family Med (both early in 3rd yr)
LOR: 3 IM (1 from SubI, 1 from 4th yr elective, 1 3rd yr elective), 1 IM Dept Chair

Lots of extracurriculars in first 2 years (Teaching, Research, Advocacy, etc)
Research: 1 publication (3rd author), 3 posters, >3 yrs working in clinical research before med school

So my perception is that I’m probably below average in stats. Goal is a solid mid-tier academic IM program (hoping for Cards fellowship afterwards), not delusional so will probably leave the top 20 off the table.

Applying broadly (>50 programs) with emphasis on Boston to DC, with others scattered around. Applying to so many programs due to my subpar stats, hope this isnt overkill.
Also, I know that I might get screened out at many places with that step 1, but does the point increase from step 1 to 2 help at all?

Thanks again!!!!!

Reaches in Bold: (waste of money?)

Northeast: 43

ME: Maine Medical Center
VT: Uni. Vermont;
MA: UMass, BU, Tufts,
CT: UConn, Yale
RI: Brown
NY: Montefiore, Northwell, Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate, Rochester, Albany, SUNY Upstate. NYU, Sinai, Cornell, Columbia Community: Lenox Hill, St Lukes Roosevelt, Winthrop, NYU Lutheran
NJ: Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ); Rutgers NJMS; Cooper. Community: Morristown, St. Barnabas (livingston), Capital Health Trenton, Jersey Shore
PA: Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, Geisinger, Penn State Hershey, Penn, UPMC
DE: Christiana
MD: University of Maryland; Hopkins Bayview
DC: Georgetown; GW

South: 11
Univ. South Carolina, VCU, Tulane, Louisiana State, U. Florida, Vanderbilt, UAB, Baylor, UVA, Emory, Jackson Memorial

Midwest: 13
Ohio State, Case Metrohealth, U. Cincinnati, Rush, UIC, U Indiana, Iowa, U.Minnesota, Michigan, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, Northwestern

West:
~ will narrow to 10ish
Uni. Nevada Reno; Uni Arizona Tucson, Univ. Utah, U. Colorado, Scripps Mercy, USC, Harbor-UCLA, Loma Linda, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UWashington, Any Kaiser programs, Oregon

Last edited:
Hey all, thanks in advance for reviewing my list! This forum has been incredibly helpful so far and was looking for some advice about competitiveness.

Med School: Coming from a mid tier NYC area MD program
Step 1: 210 (bad, I know)
Step 2: 234
4th Quintile (60-80%)
H: Neuro
HP: Peds, Surgery, Psych, OBGYN
P: Medicine :-( , Family Med (both early in 3rd yr)
LOR: 3 IM (1 from SubI, 1 from 4th yr elective, 1 3rd yr elective), 1 IM Dept Chair

Lots of extracurriculars in first 2 years (Teaching, Research, Advocacy, etc)
Research: 1 publication (3rd author), 3 posters, >3 yrs working in clinical research before med school

So my perception is that I’m probably below average in stats. Goal is a solid mid-tier academic IM program (hoping for Cards fellowship afterwards), not delusional so will probably leave the top 20 off the table.

Applying broadly (>50 programs) with emphasis on Boston to DC, with others scattered around. Applying to so many programs due to my subpar stats, hope this isnt overkill.
Also, I know that I might get screened out at many places with that step 1, but does the point increase from step 1 to 2 help at all?

Thanks again!!!!!

Reaches in Bold: (waste of money?)

Northeast: 43

ME: Maine Medical Center
VT: Uni. Vermont;
MA: UMass, BU, Tufts,
CT: UConn, Yale
RI: Brown
NY: Montefiore, Northwell, Stony Brook, SUNY Downstate, Rochester, Albany, SUNY Upstate. NYU, Sinai, Cornell, Columbia Community: Lenox Hill, St Lukes Roosevelt, Winthrop, NYU Lutheran
NJ: Robert Wood Johnson (RWJ); Rutgers NJMS; Cooper. Community: Morristown, St. Barnabas (livingston), Capital Health Trenton, Jersey Shore
PA: Jefferson, Temple, Drexel, Geisinger, Penn State Hershey, Penn, UPMC
DE: Christiana
MD: University of Maryland; Hopkins Bayview
DC: Georgetown; GW

South: 11
Univ. South Carolina, VCU, Tulane, Louisiana State, U. Florida, Vanderbilt, UAB, Baylor, UVA, Emory, Jackson Memorial

Midwest: 13
Ohio State, Case Metrohealth, U. Cincinnati, Rush, UIC, U Indiana, Iowa, U.Minnesota, Michigan, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, Northwestern

West:
~ will narrow to 10ish
Uni. Nevada Reno; Uni Arizona Tucson, Univ. Utah, U. Colorado, Scripps Mercy, USC, Harbor-UCLA, Loma Linda, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UWashington, Any Kaiser programs, Oregon

You're donating your money (to ERAS) by applying to Yale, Cornell, Columbia, Penn, Vanderbilt, Emory, Michigan, Northwestern and probably a few other of the bolded ones. With that said I think you'll match with that list. I would add Loyola, MUSC (different from USC), Dartmouth and maybe Nebraska.

Reactions: 1 user
You're donating your money (to ERAS) by applying to Yale, Cornell, Columbia, Penn, Vanderbilt, Emory, Michigan, Northwestern and probably a few other of the bolded ones. With that said I think you'll match with that list. I would add Loyola, MUSC (different from USC), Dartmouth and maybe Nebraska.
Thanks so much for the quick reply!! I will definitely add the programs you mentioned and take off most of those reaches, ERAS gets enough of our money as it is lol

Thanks so much to all those giving so much feedback! You're the best :)

Goal: academic program for future fellowship
Med School: mid tier state school
Step 1: 236
Step 2: 258
Class rank: Unsure.
1 H (not IM), all other HP (no AOA, GHHS)
LOR: great letters; 3 IM, 1 dept chair
Research: 5 posters, 3 pubs (2nd-3rd auth)
Interesting ECs

1: GW, Georgetown, UArizona Tucson, UArizona Phoenix, Scripps Green, UCR, Utah, Loma Linda, Tufts

2: USC, UCI, UCD, UCSD, Cedars Sinai, Olive View (UCLA), Harbor (UCLA), Kaiser LA, Mayo AZ

3: Colorado, Oregon, Iowa, UChicago, Boston University, Wisconsin

4: UCLA, UW, BIDMC, UCSF, Stanford, Northwestern, UTSW, NYU, Emory

Edit: hope the groupings don't offend anyone! #1 being the ones that seem most within reach, each of the following, less so...)

Thanks so much to all those giving so much feedback! You're the best :)

Goal: academic program for future fellowship
Med School: mid tier state school
Step 1: 236
Step 2: 258
Class rank: Unsure.
1 H (not IM), all other HP (no AOA, GHHS)
LOR: great letters; 3 IM, 1 dept chair
Research: 5 posters, 3 pubs (2nd-3rd auth)
Interesting ECs

1: GW, Georgetown, UArizona Tucson, UArizona Phoenix, Scripps Green, UCR, Utah, Loma Linda, Tufts

2: USC, UCI, UCD, UCSD, Cedars Sinai, Olive View (UCLA), Harbor (UCLA), Kaiser LA, Mayo AZ

3: Colorado, Oregon, Iowa, UChicago, Boston University, Wisconsin

4: UCLA, UW, BIDMC, UCSF, Stanford, Northwestern, UTSW, NYU, Emory

Edit: hope the groupings don't offend anyone! #1 being the ones that seem most within reach, each of the following, less so...)

Slim shot at list #4 and UChicago. Otherwise realistic but small list. Would add more mid tier programs in the regions you listed: UMD, Loyola, UAB, UVA, MUSC, Baylor, Hofstra, Montefiore, UNC, Wake, Minnesota, etc

Slim shot at list #4 and UChicago. Otherwise realistic but small list. Would add more mid tier programs in the regions you listed: UMD, Loyola, UAB, UVA, MUSC, Baylor, Hofstra, Montefiore, UNC, Wake, Minnesota, etc
Would also add UCSD and possibly Colorado and OHSU to the slim shot list, simply because all of those places get a lot of "lifestyle" applicants with great scores/CVs. Also, you should definitely apply to Utah, but it's a Group 3 program. Not that it matters much, other than to your expectations later.

You'll get plenty of interviews and match with that list. And I'd honestly keep most/all of them, unless you're applying to some just for the name.

I'll roll the SDN proverbial dice and see what brutal honesty lies ahead....

Midtier med school in Mid Atlantic
Goal: Academic program with solid track to fellowship in either GI, Cards or Pulm/CC
Preclinicals: 1 H, the rest P (H/P/F at my school)
Step 1: 251
Step 2 CK: Deferred til next month
H: Peds, Psych, Cards, Uro sub-I, Rads (last 3 electives)
HP: Medicine, OB/GYN
P: FM (appealing), Surgery
LOR: Dept Chair IM, Dept Chair Uro, 2 more IM
ECs: Pres of Urology interest group, author of new FA project
Research: non-IM related, 2 poster presentations and 1 abstract submission for AUA

Reach: Sinai, BIDMC, NYU, UCLA, UCSD, UWash
Target: USC, UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-Olive View, UC Irvine, UC Davis, Cedars Sinai Loma Linda, Hofstra, Montefiore, Bellevue, MUSC, UNC, Emory, OHSU
Target/Safeties: Mayo Scottsdale, U Arizona

I don't really have many safety schools...any that can be recommended? Preferably either on west coast (my wife is from there), or NYC (family lives there now)?

I was set for Uro and was told by different Dept Chairs I'd be matched...but now that I switched I'm unsure how the game changes from here. Concise honesty appreciated.

Last edited:
Does applying for ABIM research track hurt or change your chances for acceptance into the same program's categorical track? I'm not really sure how competitive I am for them as I do not have a PhD like seemingly everybody else applying does although I do have an above average amount of research.

Would also add UCSD and possibly Colorado and OHSU to the slim shot list, simply because all of those places get a lot of "lifestyle" applicants with great scores/CVs. Also, you should definitely apply to Utah, but it's a Group 3 program. Not that it matters much, other than to your expectations later.

You'll get plenty of interviews and match with that list. And I'd honestly keep most/all of them, unless you're applying to some just for the name.

Thank you both SO much! This was very helpful. I will add a few of the ones mentioned. All the best to you and to everyone applying!

so intimidating to post here.

I didn't match last year for ob/gyn. since then I have been working (paid position) at at a free clinic affiliated with my medical school. (top 50 US in major city)

4th quartile.
210/220 on Step 1 and 2. with the real red flag being not 1 but TWO Fails on step 2 CS.
one case report published as lead author. handful of poster/oral presentations in basic sciences. one book chapter in ob/gyn.

applying to literally every in state program (about 40) with total of 110 in medicine and 30 FM.

only about a handful are full academic programs with my home institution being the most "competitive."

thought about applying to prelim programs so once I pass step 3, at least i can get a license as well.

advisers aren't too optimistic about matching. hopefully SDN will give me a little hope.

Last edited:
Asking for a friend that is worried about their chances at a high tier program and won't stop freaking out:

Med School: Low Tier Midwest
Step 1: 249
Step 2: 254
Class Rank: unsure, definitely top quartile
AOA: Yes, selected as an M3 (unsure if that matters)
Clinicals: HP in Radiology, H in everything else
Research: 3 published papers, 1 as lead author (not in IM), Presentations at National conferences
Bunch of EC and Volunteer experience, President of AOA and other orgs.

Programs of Interest: BW, Mass Gen, Yale, Hopkins, Mayo, NW, Penn, etc. along with places like Wisconsin, Michigan, Cleveland Clinc, Minnesota, among others

What are their chances at the top tier programs? What should be considered their "safety school" level of places.

Asking about the programs I really want to go to with some updated information. I know half are long shots but just want to hear about how realistic they are.

Med School: Low-Mid Midwest
Step 1: 241
Class Rank: top quartile
AOA: Nominated, not selected
Clinicals: H- Surgery, Ophthalmology, Medicine Sub-I, away GI elective
HP- Medicine (ugh), OB, Neuro, Psych
P- Peds, Family
Research: 1 second author manuscript, 1 1st author abstract pub, 2 national presentations
Tons of EC, tutoring, intramurals, leadership stuff
Letters should be strong (writers told me they would be) but I don't have anyone world-renowned or anything. 1 IM Chair, 2 IM faculty, 1 Neuro faculty
Aways at Colorado and UW

What are chances at my top 10?
Penn, Duke, UW, Stanford, UCSD, UNC, UofM, Pitt, UVA, Colorado

I know the first 4 are super reachy but just wanted thoughts as to how possible these are? I have a bunch of other mid tiers and some safeties (including home program) so I don't really need suggestions for other programs (applying 35 total). Thanks guys!

Med School: FMG (won't need a visa though; I'll be applying with an EAD)
YOG: July 2017
Step 1: 260+
Step 2: 265+
Class Rank: unsure, but top 10% for sure. Graduated first honors.
Clinicals: we have grades (A- in Surgery and IM, A in everything else)
Research: 1 pub, 1 poster presentation, 2 month research internship at MCW
USCE: 2 months
LOR: 3 strong US LORs in Cardiology, 1 strong LOR from home country (assuming this is useless, but I'll use it anyways, b/c I think it'd be weird sending 3 letters from the same rotation)

What are my reaches and what are my attainable mid-tier programs? I have a long list of community and university-affiliated programs, and i'm planning to apply to 150ish programs. Just need some guidance on which university programs I should be applying to.

WAMC?

Med school: US-Citizen IMG M.B.B.S. degree (relatively new program as well, so not much info on previous matches)
Step1: 254
Step2: 255
Class rank: Top 10%
Clinicals: N/A
Research: 3 posters, 1 paper, 1 case report. Currently, on a one year visiting research project in academic center in US.
USCE: 4 months US clerkships, 1 month Canadian
LOR: 3 from US academic centers. 1 IM, 1 Peds, 1 Derm. Should be solid to very good, wouldnt say fantastic.
ECs: Some teaching (USMLE, kid's stuff)
Red Flags: I did extend my studies for a year to do more electives

My general strategy (being US-IMG) is to apply broadly (160 programs so far), with my priorities being:
1)location - i like fancy cities and the sun. 2). Academic center if possible. I have hospitalist goals, but I don't want to miss out on cardiac/pulm fellowships if i change my mind.
Notable programs (but not comprehensive as to bore you to death):

Just take my money: Columbia, Cornell, UTSW, Mount Sinai, Ohio State, UPMC, JH Bayview, Colorado, BU, OHSU
Uber Reach: Penn state, TJUH, George Washington, Georgetown, UMiami, Temple, Penn State, Baylor U
Reach: Mayo and CCF (did rotations at both), Mayo AZ and Jacksonville, Case, UMinnesota, U-cincinnati, U-maryland, VCU, Drexel, Hofstra Northwell
Reachish: Montefiore, Stroger, Sinai-St.Lukes/roosevelt, UIC, Jacobi, UT Houston, Hennepin, UTMB, Suny brooklyn, Wayne state, CCF-florida, Rutgers, UT-SA, Albert Einstein, UPMC, LSU
Might actually have a shot: Northshore, Holy-cross, Arizona- Tuscon and Phoenix, UMKC, Maimonides, UT-austin dell, Tennessee-nashville, Hawaii, Legacy Emmanuel, Methodist (houston).
For the rest: I chose literally every community or university-affiliated program in locations I'd be willing to go: NYC/5 boroughs, Miami/Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando, Dallas/Houston/Austin, DC, Denver, Portland. Totaling to 160 programs.

Questions:

1). How many interviews does would one expect with this resume, and how many would be big academic centers? Overall, I'd like to hit 20 invites if at all possible as i'm a bit paranoid. can whittle it down later.

2). Are my rankings more or less accurate and realistic, for a US-IMG?

3). Especially hot for these programs: Colorado, Baylor U, OHSU, UT Houston, Austin Dell, Georgetown, George Washington. Would writing a individually personal statement help? Is there anything else I can do to increase my chances for that coveted interview?

4). How big of a red flag is it for a US-IMG to extend studies for a year. Would PD's rule out automatically, or do they care as much for IMG programs? If so better to step out in front of it in PS, or just hope for it to slip through to interview stage?

5). How much does doing my one year of research right now help? I might submit a juicy first author paper in the next couple weeks, but if I don't does the fact that i'm doing a research year now, give me 50% brownie points?

6) I have about 25 pure community programs (without university-affiliation). Is that enough, too many, or too little?

Last edited:
so intimidating to post here.

I didn't match last year for ob/gyn. since then I have been working (paid position) at at a free clinic affiliated with my medical school. (top 50 US in major city)

4th quartile.
210/220 on Step 1 and 2. with the real red flag being not 1 but TWO Fails on step 2 CS.
one case report published as lead author. handful of poster/oral presentations in basic sciences. one book chapter in ob/gyn.

applying to literally every in state program (about 40) with total of 110 in medicine and 30 FM.

only about a handful are full academic programs with my home institution being the most "competitive."

thought about applying to prelim programs so once I pass step 3, at least i can get a license as well.

advisers aren't too optimistic about matching. hopefully SDN will give me a little hope.

You have a lot of red flags and an uphill battle. I would suggest ~10 low tier academic programs, 100-150 community programs, and many, many FM as backup. I would also ask your advisors if they'd be willing to call on your behalf to vouch for your clinical competency.

Asking for a friend that is worried about their chances at a high tier program and won't stop freaking out:

Med School: Low Tier Midwest
Step 1: 249
Class Rank: unsure, definitely top quartile
AOA: Yes, selected as an M3 (unsure if that matters)
Clinicals: HP in Radiology, H in everything else
Research: 3 published papers, 1 as lead author (not in IM), Presentations at National conferences
Bunch of EC and Volunteer experience, President of AOA and other orgs.

Programs of Interest: BW, Mass Gen, Yale, Hopkins, Mayo, NW, Penn, etc. along with places like Wisconsin, Michigan, Cleveland Clinc, Minnesota, among others

What are their chances at the top tier programs? What should be considered their "safety school" level of places.

He/she has a good shot landing interviews at all the top programs (taking the randomness into account). With Midwest ties, strong programs that are especially more attainable include Michigan, NW, UC, Wash U, Vanderbilt, UTSW. "Safety" programs are the rest of the upper-mid tier including but not limited to Mayo, Wisconsin, Minnesota, CCF, Case, Ohio, Colorado, Iowa. He/she should apply to home institution, 4-5 from the safety list, and a slew of top programs.

Asking about the programs I really want to go to with some updated information. I know half are long shots but just want to hear about how realistic they are.

Med School: Low-Mid Midwest
Step 1: 241
Class Rank: top quartile
AOA: Nominated, not selected
Clinicals: H- Surgery, Ophthalmology, Medicine Sub-I, away GI elective
HP- Medicine (ugh), OB, Neuro, Psych
P- Peds, Family
Research: 1 second author manuscript, 1 1st author abstract pub, 2 national presentations
Tons of EC, tutoring, intramurals, leadership stuff
Letters should be strong (writers told me they would be) but I don't have anyone world-renowned or anything. 1 IM Chair, 2 IM faculty, 1 Neuro faculty
Aways at Colorado and UW

What are chances at my top 10?
Penn, Duke, UW, Stanford, UCSD, UNC, UofM, Pitt, UVA, Colorado

I know the first 4 are super reachy but just wanted thoughts as to how possible these are? I have a bunch of other mid tiers and some safeties (including home program) so I don't really need suggestions for other programs (applying 35 total). Thanks guys!

Low chances at the first 4, but low > slim > none. Of the rest, UCSD is the most "reach" if you don't have ties to CA and Michigan just because it is competitive. Otherwise, rest of the list looks reasonable.

Med School: FMG (won't need a visa though; I'll be applying with an EAD)
YOG: July 2017
Step 1: 260+
Step 2: 265+
Class Rank: unsure, but top 10% for sure. Graduated first honors.
Clinicals: we have grades (A- in Surgery and IM, A in everything else)
Research: 1 pub, 1 poster presentation, 2 month research internship at MCW
USCE: 2 months
LOR: 3 strong US LORs in Cardiology, 1 strong LOR from home country (assuming this is useless, but I'll use it anyways, b/c I think it'd be weird sending 3 letters from the same rotation)

What are my reaches and what are my attainable mid-tier programs? I have a long list of community and university-affiliated programs, and i'm planning to apply to 150ish programs. Just need some guidance on which university programs I should be applying to.

Top 20 programs are not attainable. Attainable programs who have taken FMGs include but are not limited to Mayo, CCF, Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, Colorado, Georgetown, Hofstra, Minn, and some other places. Look up who has taken FMGs in the past. Of the list, you'd be best served by going to Mayo. Good IM training with tons of time for research to beef up your publications, which will somewhat compensate for your IMG status during fellowship application (if that is what you are into).

WAMC?

Med school: US-Citizen IMG M.B.B.S. degree (relatively new program as well, so not much info on previous matches)
Step1: 254
Step2: 255
Class rank: Top 10%
Clinicals: N/A
Research: 3 posters, 1 paper, 1 case report. Currently, on a one year visiting research project in academic center in US.
USCE: 4 months US clerkships, 1 month Canadian
LOR: 3 from US academic centers. 1 IM, 1 Peds, 1 Derm. Should be solid to very good, wouldnt say fantastic.
ECs: Some teaching (USMLE, kid's stuff)
Red Flags: I did extend my studies for a year to do more electives

My general strategy (being US-IMG) is to apply broadly (160 programs so far), with my priorities being:
1)location - i like fancy cities and the sun. 2). Academic center if possible. I have hospitalist goals, but I don't want to miss out on cardiac/pulm fellowships if i change my mind.
Notable programs (but not comprehensive as to bore you to death):

Just take my money: Columbia, Cornell, UTSW, Mount Sinai, Ohio State, UPMC, JH Bayview, Colorado, BU, OHSU
Uber Reach: Penn state, TJUH, George Washington, Georgetown, UMiami, Temple, Penn State, Baylor U
Reach: Mayo and CCF (did rotations at both), Mayo AZ and Jacksonville, Case, UMinnesota, U-cincinnati, U-maryland, VCU, Drexel, Hofstra Northwell
Reachish: Montefiore, Stroger, Sinai-St.Lukes/roosevelt, UIC, Jacobi, UT Houston, Hennepin, UTMB, Suny brooklyn, Wayne state, CCF-florida, Rutgers, UT-SA, Albert Einstein, UPMC, LSU
Might actually have a shot: Northshore, Holy-cross, Arizona- Tuscon and Phoenix, UMKC, Maimonides, UT-austin dell, Tennessee-nashville, Hawaii, Legacy Emmanuel, Methodist (houston).
For the rest: I chose literally every community or university-affiliated program in locations I'd be willing to go: NYC/5 boroughs, Miami/Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando, Dallas/Houston/Austin, DC, Denver, Portland. Totaling to 160 programs.

Questions:

1). How many interviews does would one expect with this resume, and how many would be big academic centers? Overall, I'd like to hit 20 invites if at all possible as i'm a bit paranoid. can whittle it down later.

2). Are my rankings more or less accurate and realistic, for a US-IMG?

3). Especially hot for these programs: Colorado, Baylor U, OHSU, UT Houston, Austin Dell, Georgetown, George Washington. Would writing a individually personal statement help? Is there anything else I can do to increase my chances for that coveted interview?

4). How big of a red flag is it for a US-IMG to extend studies for a year. Would PD's rule out automatically, or do they care as much for IMG programs? If so better to step out in front of it in PS, or just hope for it to slip through to interview stage?

5). How much does doing my one year of research right now help? I might submit a juicy first author paper in the next couple weeks, but if I don't does the fact that i'm doing a research year now, give me 50% brownie points?

6) I have about 25 pure community programs (without university-affiliation). Is that enough, too many, or too little?

1. 0 interviews at 'take my money' (why bother applying?). A few interviews at 'uber reach' and 'reach'. However, don't think you'll get IVs to Jefferson, MD, Monte, Baylor, UPMC. Your rankings are also totally screwed up (i.e. UPMC/Monte >> Hofstra, Temple). Rest are attainable.

2. No. See #1

3. Ask your mentors to call on your behalf. Doubt you'll get IV to Baylor, the other ones have taken good FMGs so maybe. If you did rotation at Mayo and CCF, you should strongly consider going one of those, esp. Mayo

4. I don't know the answer, but if the reason is your taking extra electives to really figure out what you want to do, then you should and can explain it in the PS. Hoping for it to disappear and slip through is not a good strategy

5. No. You're an IMG with a red flag so submitted paper doesn't help you as much as it normally does. Otherwise you're already out of the running at programs that strongly favor research so you get maybe < 5% brownie points.

6. You should match at a University program, so 25 seems right. IT's just money after all

thread turning into "WAMC with a 260" etc lol

Last edited:
non-US IMG here. Looking for some help with my list.

Step 1: 245
2 CK: 250s
CS: 1st pass
Pubs: 7 publications (5 first authors, 1 co-author, 1 4th author; 5 of them European or American journals, 2 home country journals)
USCE: 2 months (clerkships at university programs)
2 US-LORs
need VISA
YOG: 2018

These are just the university programs/reach programs I'm considering:

Penn state, TJUH, George Washington, Georgetown, Kansas (did rotation), U of Miami, Temple, Penn State, Mayo, Mayo Arizona, Jacksonville, CCF, CCF-Florida, U of Minnesota, U of Cincinnati, U of Maryland, VCU, Drexel, Hofstra Northwell, Montefiore, Stroger, Sinai-St.Lukes, Sinai-Roosevelt, UIC, Jacobi, UT Houston, Hennepin, UTMB, Suny Brooklyn, Wayne state, Rutgers, UT-SA, Albert Einstein, UPMC, LSU, U Conn, Northshore, Holy-cross, Arizona- Tuscon and Phoenix, UMKC, Maimonides, UTAustin dell, Tennessee-nashville, Hawaii, Legacy Emmanuel, Methodist Houston

In addition, I've included ~100 community program on my list excluding those in California and I'm looking to apply to these additional programs. Would love some input on which programs I should remove or add.

Last edited:
Med School: Top 20
Step 1: 260s
Step 2 CK: 270s
Clinical: Honors in everything (including sub-i) except for HP in Peds
AOA: Yes, elected as junior member
Research: 1 published manuscript from before med school, 1 submitted currently, a few poster presentations and published abstracts
ECs: Pretty involved. No red flags.
Origin: Midwest

I'm only applying to ~15 or so programs - my question is, given my stats do I need to apply to more or is this adequate?

MGH, BGW, BID, Hopkins, Duke, UPenn, UPMC, Cleveland Clinic, Case, OSU, Michigan, Vanderbilt, UCLA, Stanford, UCSF, UChicago, Northwestern

Last edited:
Step 1: 265+
Step 2 CK: 270+
Clinical: Honors in everything (including AI) except for HP in Peds
Research: 2 published (co-author) manuscripts from before med school, 2 manuscripts currently submitted/under review (one 1st author), 2 published abstracts (1st author), 4 poster presentations, 1 oral presentation, one published case report
ECs: VP of med school AOA chapter, started an interest group, med school tutor and mentor, some hospital related volunteering, involved with planning med school events
Origin: Midwest/Mid-Atlantic

I'm only applying to ~15 or so programs - my question is, given my stats do I need to apply to more or is this adequate?

MGH, BGW, BID, Hopkins, Duke, UPenn, UPMC, Cleveland Clinic, Case, OSU, Michigan, Vanderbilt, UCLA, Stanford, UCSF, UChicago, Northwestern

Wow. That is quite a spicy application. Congrats on all of your academic achievements so far. That being said, I've heard that the top programs are still a crapshoot for everyone. Why did you decide against applying to 3-5 additional upper-mid tier programs in your geographical area (Mayo, UNC, UVa, Emory)?

Wow. That is quite a spicy application. Congrats on all of your academic achievements so far. That being said, I've heard that the top programs are still a crapshoot for everyone. Why did you decide against applying to 3-5 additional upper-mid tier programs in your geographical area (Mayo, UNC, UVa, Emory)?
Thank you! I've mainly been picking and choosing based off of 1) obviously, the program's reputation and 2) my SO is in medicine, therefore choosing programs that will be good for his particular sub-specialty (a few of the better IM programs I did not list above would be not-so-good for him).
However, I also am aware that, first and foremost, I need to ensure that I match! From what I've seen just by going through, I'm thinking it may be worth it to add 6-8 more programs just because the whole process can be somewhat of a crapshoot, as you said.

Last edited:
Med school: US Top 10
Step1: 252
Step2: 257
Class rank: Unknown
Preclinicals: All pass in P/F
Clinicals: Even mix of H and HP. H in Medicine clerkship and SubI
Research: 1 coauthored paper, 1 oral presentation, 1 first author manuscript in submission
LOR: 1 from SubI, 1 from Dept, 1 from Heme elective, 1 from Surgery research PI
ECs: standard fare, some leadership roles
Red Flags: I took a fifth year to do extra rotations as well as travel abroad. Less than stellar commentary in surgery clerkship (but still got HP).

URM if that means anything

Im applying to :

Northeast: BU, BIDMC, Yale, NYU, Sinai, Montefiore, Cornell, Columbia, Penn, TJU, GWU, Brown, UMD
South: Emory, Vanderbilt, Tulane, U Miami, Baylor, UT Houston, UTSW, UNC
Midwest: U Minnesota, Rush, U Chicago, Northwestern, U Michigan, Hennepin County, OSU, Presence St Joseph
West: U Washington, UCLA, OHSU, UCSD, U Colorado, USC, Virginia Mason

Aiming for mid to high tier academic program

non-US IMG here. Looking for some help with my list.

Step 1: 245
2 CK: 250s
CS: 1st pass
Pubs: 7 publications (5 first authors, 1 co-author, 1 4th author; 5 of them European or American journals, 2 home country journals)
USCE: 2 months (clerkships at university programs)
2 US-LORs
need VISA
YOG: 2018

These are just the university programs/reach programs I'm considering:

Penn state, TJUH, George Washington, Georgetown, Kansas (did rotation), U of Miami, Temple, Penn State, Mayo, Mayo Arizona, Jacksonville, CCF, CCF-Florida, U of Minnesota, U of Cincinnati, U of Maryland, VCU, Drexel, Hofstra Northwell, Montefiore, Stroger, Sinai-St.Lukes, Sinai-Roosevelt, UIC, Jacobi, UT Houston, Hennepin, UTMB, Suny Brooklyn, Wayne state, Rutgers, UT-SA, Albert Einstein, UPMC, LSU, U Conn, Northshore, Holy-cross, Arizona- Tuscon and Phoenix, UMKC, Maimonides, UTAustin dell, Tennessee-nashville, Hawaii, Legacy Emmanuel, Methodist Houston

In addition, I've included ~100 community program on my list excluding those in California and I'm looking to apply to these additional programs. Would love some input on which programs I should remove or add.

You're good. Could add more university programs friendly to IMGs.

Research: 2 published (co-author) manuscripts from before med school, 2 manuscripts currently submitted/under review (one 1st author), 2 published abstracts (1st author), 4 poster presentations, 1 oral presentation, one published case report
ECs: VP of med school AOA chapter, started an interest group, med school tutor and mentor, some hospital related volunteering, involved with planning med school events

No need for more. You'll get IVs to every program as long as you don't come across as snarky on your personal statement. If anything, I would suggest taking out some of the Ohio ones (there are stronger safety schools for you, although if you have OH connections, they're fine). The program(s) you could consider adding would be Wash U and Emory and of course programs in NYC (which you clearly does not want to be there). I suspect you'll match at your #1.

My only advice is go with your gut instinct when ranking; don't worry about the absolute prestige of the program as you will succeed no matter where you go. Congrats, what a fantastic application that the rest of us can only dream of.

Med school: US Top 10
Step1: 252
Step2: 257
Class rank: Unknown
Preclinicals: All pass in P/F
Clinicals: Even mix of H and HP. H in Medicine clerkship and SubI
Research: 1 coauthored paper, 1 oral presentation, 1 first author manuscript in submission
LOR: 1 from SubI, 1 from Dept, 1 from Heme elective, 1 from Surgery research PI
ECs: standard fare, some leadership roles
Red Flags: I took a fifth year to do extra rotations as well as travel abroad. Less than stellar commentary in surgery clerkship (but still got HP).

URM if that means anything

Im applying to :

Northeast: BU, BIDMC, Yale, NYU, Sinai, Montefiore, Cornell, Columbia, Penn, TJU, GWU, Brown, UMD
South: Emory, Vanderbilt, Tulane, U Miami, Baylor, UT Houston, UTSW, UNC
Midwest: U Minnesota, Rush, U Chicago, Northwestern, U Michigan, Hennepin County, OSU, Presence St Joseph
West: U Washington, UCLA, OHSU, UCSD, U Colorado, USC, Virginia Mason

Aiming for mid to high tier academic program

List is fine, selling yourself short. Coming from a top 10 institution helps tremendously. Take out Hennepin,St. Joseph (?),Virginia Mason and add UCSF, Stanford, Wash U, Duke, Georgetown, Hopkins, UVA, Hofstra, Loyola, MGH, BWH. You'll get a bunch of interviews and match somewhere well.

Safeties: Ohio, Rush, Loyola, Hofstra, Montefiore, GWU, Georgetown, MD, Brown, Jefferson, UNC, Tulane, Baylor, UT Houston, Miami, Colorado, USC

You should probably just pick 6-7 out of that list in cities you'd want to live in when applying.

I had a similar application, and ended up applying to slightly more than 20 programs. You will likely get interviews at many of these programs, but which ones in particular is anyone's guess. Do you anticipate any other considerations (like geographic location, urban/suburban location, special tracks like global health or QI, research/fellowship opportunities, etc.) when ranking besides going to the "highest ranked" program? If so, you should try to enrich your applications to programs that meet these qualities. If not, my personal feeling is that applying to a few extra programs is relatively inexpensive, and allows you preserve opportunities and defer making these decisions pre-emptively - it's very easy to cancel interviews.

Help me!

Long story short I applied to Family Medicine on Friday due to my Step 1 score (211), and passes in all clerkships. My advisor told me it was the "safest move" for me. But I really want to go into Internal Medicine. I'm currently preparing a last minute application. 2 of my letter writers have agreed to modify their letters for me and submit them before the end of the weekend. I think I'll apply to 80-100 programs by midnight. Should I target mostly community programs? Where should I apply to? I would like to stay in the north east if at all possible.

My medical school is in New Jersey, and I went to NYU for undergrad. My fiance is living in the city but she has some ability to move with her job. But she doesn't want to move to the south or out west.

Gracias in advance :)

Hi forums, I'm Bryan. Thanks for taking a look at my WAMC.
Master of science in medical sciences degree, M.S.M.S., magna cum laude, USF
MS4, University of Puerto Rico (UPR) school of medicine
Step 1: 205, no failed attempts
Step 2: 239, no failed attempts
Class rank: Bottom third
Grades in required 3rd year clerkships: 3.4 GPA
Letters: 2 excellent letters (I am led to believe) from Family Med clerkship director and attending. 1 incoming sooner rather than later from cardio, 1 incoming at the end of October from my Internal Medicine junior, and probably 1 or 2 in October-November from Gastro and Renal.
MSPE: Average. Psych left some nice comments, ObGyn decided to say one good thing and one bad thing.
Research: 1-year externship in translational research, during which I published 1 paper and 1 abstract as co-author. Now I am getting involved in 2 clinical research projects and will be active throughout 4th year.
Leadership: MS1 Neurosciences class representative, MS4 Family medicine section representative, AESCo (community service group) secretary.
4th year rotations at my #1-3: I hope to have standout rotations in my choices #1-3. I am learning to work well with residents, arrive early, stay late, etc.

I will apply to IM residencies in Puerto Rico. In total there are ten IM residency programs in PR, four of which participate in the match, six off match. Plan A: My #1 and #2 are the UPR program and the Veterans program, which are the main hospitals in PR, and both are via match. I have been going back and forth with my advisor, a cardiac electrophysiologist who is an alumni of the UPR program and currently director of the IM 3rd year clerkship. We have been strongly entertaining the idea of matching at UPR or Veterans. Plan B: My #3 is the city hospital which neighbors the UPR program and is off match. I would like to think that I won't go past plan B. Just in case I will apply to the other 7 programs across the island. There is another program via match nearby, which is plan C. Finally, on other parts of the island there are mostly off match programs, some more rural than others. Plan E, F, G etc would be a residency at one of these programs. I don't plan to apply outside of PR, I would prefer to do my residency at one of these 10 programs. WAMC, please?

@Boricua27 It's very risky applying to only 10 programs with such a low step1 score...

By the way, there are only 8 IM programs listed in AAMC for PR

Hey all,

I'd love to hear your thoughts on my program list and any suggestions for additions! Trying to stay on a coast if possible. Thanks so much.

Med school rank: Top 20 school
USMLE Step 1: 250
Class rank: Top quartile
AOA: Nope
Honors: All H except M3 medicine and surgery (HP), H in subI
Research: 2 published reviews (one first author)
EC: Average
LOR: Solid

MGH, UCSF, Brigham, Mayo, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Michigan, Penn, UWash, Stanford, UCLA, Olive View, Cedars Sinai, UCSD, USC, UCD, Northwestern, UChicago, Rush, Loyola, BIDMC, Yale, UPMC, BU, OHSU.

Thoughts are much appreciated :)