This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be nice and blunt:

Step 1: Passed on second try (barely passed)
CK: 240s first try
CS: passed on third try
Step 3: passed on first try (barely)

I'm weird: so i applied to FM and got 30+ interviews and then decided that I wanted to do IM last year, so I left my match list blank

Will be applying again (tomorrow I guess) to nothing except for categorical IM

Can't care less where I end up at as long as I'm doing IM.

USMD

EXTREMELY strong letters.

Will apply to IM whether you advise it or not.

Writing this post in case someone out there has any thoughts, e.g. what to focus on during interviews, random tips, etc...or perhaps telling me that I won't be getting any interviews and that I should expect the worst.

Not that I or anyone else cares, but I am hispanic.

Applying to every single IM program in the country (except cali)

just looking for your thoughts

many thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be nice and blunt:

I'm weird: so i applied to FM and got 30+ interviews and then decided that I wanted to do IM last year, so I left my match list blank

USMD

Writing this post in case someone out there has any thoughts, e.g. what to focus on during interviews, random tips, etc...or perhaps telling me that I won't be getting any interviews and that I should expect the worst.

many thanks in advance
That's a lot of red flags. Since you are applying to every program in the country I suppose there is not much advice to be given in that regard. Just curious, what does an EXTREMELY strong letter say?

Thanks a lot for your advice, it was more along the lines of what I was thinking. But somehow both the informal and formal IM advisors at my school think that the honors in both my core and sub-i clerkship especially from a top-tier program, along with my leadership work, improved Step 2 and great LORs, somehow opens doors that may have been closed by my step 1. The info I've been getting is that in IM honors matters a lot more than Step 1, not sure how true that is.
This is true...if you can get through the Step 1 filter that most of those programs have. TBH, about the only extraordinary thing your app has on it is your med school and a nice jump from Step 1 to Step 2. Most of the people getting IVs at the "Top X" programs (which comprises between 1/3 and 1/2 of your list) have Step 1 scores like your Step 2 as well as significant research, AOA, advanced degrees, etc.

All of this is not to say that you're not a (very) good applicant, because clearly you are. But it's time to adjust your expectations. Which kinda sucks...but that's life.

If you ignore all the advice given in response to your post and apply to that list without changing it, you will definitely match (probably at a really great place). But not at the program(s) you likely think you should.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Med school: Top 15
Step 1: 260+
Step 2 CK: pending
Step 2 CS: pending
AOA/GHHS: No
Grades: 5 H, rest HP (specific Peds, Surg). H in 3rd-year IM and 4th-year AI.
Research: 1 4th author pub, 1 pub in submission. 4 abstracts. 1 oral pres, 2 posters. 2 national conference pres by other research members. All ENT research (switched to IM late out of interest).
ECs: Lead several interesting EC groups, made a medical app and won a national competition for it.
Goal: Probably GI or Cards fellowship
Origin: Midwest

Plan to apply:

NE: Mass Gen, Johns Hopkins, Brigham & Women's, Penn, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Yale, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical center

West: UCSF, Stanford, University of Washington, UCLA, Colorado, UC San Diego

MW: Mayo (Rochester), Wash U, U Michigan, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Cleveland Clinic, OSU, UPMC, Case Western

SE: Duke, UNC, Mayo Jacksonville, Emory

SW: UT SW, Baylor

1. Am I applying top heavy?

Extremely. At best you're going to get half of the IVs in your NE and West list.
2. Anything to add?
Tons:
NE: Real Mt. Sinai, Rutgers-RWJ, Dartmouth, Maryland, UPMC (Just realized you put this in the midwest list)
West: OHSU, CPMC, UCI, Utah, about 50 other Cali programs that I can't be bothered to list
Midwest: Wisco, UMinn, Iowa
SE: UAB, Wake Forest, Miami (assuming it survives Irma next week)
SW: The other Miracle Whip

Extremely. At best you're going to get half of the IVs in your NE and West list.

Tons:
NE: Real Mt. Sinai, Rutgers-RWJ, Dartmouth, Maryland, UPMC (Just realized you put this in the midwest list)
West: OHSU, CPMC, UCI, Utah, about 50 other Cali programs that I can't be bothered to list
Midwest: Wisco, UMinn, Iowa
SE: UAB, Wake Forest, Miami (assuming it survives Irma next week)
SW: The other Miracle Whip

Thanks for the reply. If I apply to the 31 I listed, is it likely I'll match? I've been told I'm over applying with 31, and unsure which one's to remove/keep.

Help: Hoping to receive some ACGME love, but I feel like I'm top heavy and have no idea where I have any business applying or not. Any help is appreciated.
Med school: Midwest DO school
Step1/COMLEX: 260
Step2/COMLEX: 252
Class rank: Top 10%
Clinicals: 4.0
Research: pending publication and two posters
LOR: 3 IM letters and 1 Family letter
ECs: TONS of teaching, little to no community service

Midwest: Rush, Loyola, UIC, Advocate Lutheran, Advocate Christ, UofC North Shore, Med Coll. of Wisconsin, U of MN, U of C, NW, Indy, Ohio State, Case Western

East Coast: BU, Tufts, Cornell, Columbia, Jacobi, Monte, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Rutgers, Gtown, GW

West: Kaiser Los Angeles, UC Irvine, Virginia Mason

Questions: Does the drop in my steps seriously damage my chances at any of these places? Am I missing some programs that are right under my nose?

Thanks for the reply. If I apply to the 31 I listed, is it likely I'll match? I've been told I'm over applying with 31, and unsure which one's to remove/keep.
Yes, you'll match with that list.

You're over applying because you're "over" applying.

If you targeted more precisely, you could get away with 15-20 apps and nearly as many IV offers.

Yes, you'll match with that list.

You're over applying because you're "over" applying.

If you targeted more precisely, you could get away with 15-20 apps and nearly as many IV offers.

I truly appreciate your advice - thank you for your help!

I truly appreciate your advice - thank you for your help!

Gutonc had a good list, I'd also consider Indiana, a good program that you'd be very competitive for. Also I'd add UChicago since that seems like the type of place you'd be interested in and you probably have a better chance there than at Northwestern.

Help: Hoping to receive some ACGME love, but I feel like I'm top heavy and have no idea where I have any business applying or not. Any help is appreciated.
Med school: Midwest DO school
Step1/COMLEX: 260
Step2/COMLEX: 252
Class rank: Top 10%
Clinicals: 4.0
Research: pending publication and two posters
LOR: 3 IM letters and 1 Family letter
ECs: TONS of teaching, little to no community service

Midwest: Rush, Loyola, UIC, Advocate Lutheran, Advocate Christ, UofC North Shore, Med Coll. of Wisconsin, U of MN, U of C, NW, Indy, Ohio State, Case Western

East Coast: BU, Tufts, Cornell, Columbia, Jacobi, Monte, Drexel, Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Rutgers, Gtown, GW

West: Kaiser Los Angeles, UC Irvine, Virginia Mason

Questions: Does the drop in my steps seriously damage my chances at any of these places? Am I missing some programs that are right under my nose?

Way too top heavy. At the very least you need to apply to all the good programs that have taken DOs in the recent past (OHSU, Wake Forest, UWashington, MUSC, Iowa, Dartmouth?). I'm sure I forgot a bunch so you need to go review resident rosters of many different academic programs and add as appropriate. You seem to have an interest in Chicago so I'd go ahead and add more community programs in that area. Honestly you'd probably match with that list but it's not a risk worth taking, and you're missing a bunch of places that would be a few steps up from the places on your list that you're likely to end up.

Gutonc had a good list, I'd also consider Indiana, a good program that you'd be very competitive for. Also I'd add UChicago since that seems like the type of place you'd be interested in and you probably have a better chance there than at Northwestern.

Way too top heavy. At the very least you need to apply to all the good programs that have taken DOs in the recent past (OHSU, Wake Forest, UWashington, MUSC, Iowa, Dartmouth?). I'm sure I forgot a bunch so you need to go review resident rosters of many different academic programs and add as appropriate. You seem to have an interest in Chicago so I'd go ahead and add more community programs in that area. Honestly you'd probably match with that list but it's not a risk worth taking, and you're missing a bunch of places that would be a few steps up from the places on your list that you're likely to end up.

Thanks! Definitely interested primarily in Chicago, so will do on that end.

This is true...if you can get through the Step 1 filter that most of those programs have. TBH, about the only extraordinary thing your app has on it is your med school and a nice jump from Step 1 to Step 2. Most of the people getting IVs at the "Top X" programs (which comprises between 1/3 and 1/2 of your list) have Step 1 scores like your Step 2 as well as significant research, AOA, advanced degrees, etc.

All of this is not to say that you're not a (very) good applicant, because clearly you are. But it's time to adjust your expectations. Which kinda sucks...but that's life.

If you ignore all the advice given in response to your post and apply to that list without changing it, you will definitely match (probably at a really great place). But not at the program(s) you likely think you should.

Totally agree.

Thanks a lot for your response @gutonc, it's helpful to get realistic advice. I'm definitely going to tweak my list and add more mid-tier academic programs. I never really thought I was a competitive applicant, so it was a little shocking when 3 different advisors (who everyone keeps telling me to trust what they're saying) actually encouraged me to apply to some of those top tier programs. I mean I do have EC work that's considered significant in their opinion, but I couldnt really think of anything else that stood out in my app. Thanks for your suggestion again!

Last edited:
School is Low to Mid Tier in the NE

Step 1- 242
Step 2 - 257
CS - Passed
Preclinical Grades: P/F - Passed
Clinical Grades: Honors IM and OB/GYN, High Pass Peds and Psych, Pass family and surgery
AOA: yes
GHHS: no
Research: 2 school poster presentations (one of which was a QI); this is probably the weakest part of my application (other than my school)
Extracurriculars: leadership position in 3 school clubs, 200+ hours of teaching, coaching, medical staff volunteering
LOR: 3 IM, 1 family, 1 OB/GYN

Target
- GWU
- Tufts
- Boston U
- UNC (#1 pick, love the TAR HEELS)
- Wake Forest
- University of Rochester
- Montefiore (Moses and Weiler)
- University @ Buffalo
- Icahn @ Mt. Sinai
- Temple
- Jefferson
- Brown
- Medical University of South Carolina
- UVA
- VCU
- Carilion
Reach
- All the NE and atlantic ones (Duke, NYU, NYP, Mass Gen, Brigham, Beth Israel, Yale, NYU, UPenn)

Does this list seem appropriate and do i have it right in terms of their grouping? Thanks in advance!
bump

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to update my list pre-Eras.

Step: 251/264
Top 20, Top 10 Medicine Program
No AOA/GHH at institution. 6/7 Honors, HP in Family Medicine. Sub-I Grade Pending.
5 Publications (Co-Authors), 1 first-author in submission, 2 posters nationally
2 TA activities, 1 Volunteer Abroad Trip, 5-6 Volunteer/Leadership Activities

Reaches: Big 4, Stanford, Columbia, Cornell, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn
Fits: NYU, CC, Mt. Sinai, U Chicago, Wash U, Mayo, Beth Israel
More Realistic: Oregon, UVA, UNC, Pitt, Tufts, Boston

Any changes?

No AOA/GHH at institution. 6/7 Honors, HP in Family Medicine. Sub-I Grade Pending.

Any changes?

Looks good. You'll probably match at one of your reaches.

I'll be nice and blunt:

USMD

many thanks in advance

bump please

thanks again

Any changes?

Good choices. You could add Duke, Emory, UWashington, UCLA. But you'll match with your list too.

Hello everyone! I've lurked through this thread for a number of months now, to try to come up with a list of programs I'd like to apply to. But now that my class rank and step 2 scores are finalized, I was hoping for some help from the community. First, here's a rundown of my application:

Undergrad: Univ of Illinois
Master's Degree: Georgetown
Med School: DO School in California
Step 1: 240 / Level 1: 575
Step 2: 242 / Level 2: Pending
Class Rank: Bottom 20%
Honors: Only FM
LOR: Two strong letters from IM SubI, Chair Letter, and hoping to get a strong letter from an upcoming ICU rotation
Research: 2 poster presentations, 1 publication pending in OB/GYN (2nd author), 1 IRB proposal written and submitted (I would be first author once this project gets published), and some bench research experience in undergrad
EC's: Employed part time as ER scribe during good portion of MS1 and MS2; Worked as Lyft/Uber driver during MS3; created a business this year, which should hopefully go live and become profitable by end of 2017, volleyball coach

The biggest red flag on my application is certainly my class rank, which is in the bottom quintile of the class. I struggled with test taking during years 1 and 2 of medical school, but managed to work hard and overachieve a bit on the Step exams. I think/hope that the strongest part of my application is my employment history through out medical school. I've focused on minimizing my debt burden the best I could, by working various jobs during my free nights and weekends.

My goal is to match into a middle/low tier academic program, or a high/middle tier community program in either Chicago (first choice) or one of the major California cities. I'm also going to search for programs in other metropolitan areas, but I am having a hard time determining which ones I would be competitive for. Of note, I am most likely going to pursue a career in hospitalist medicine, but if I do decide to specialize, it would be in Pulm/Crit. Here is my dream list thus far:

- Chicago: Rush, Loyola, UIC, Advocate Christ/Lutheran, Stroger, NorthShore
- LA Area: Cedars Sinai, Kaiser LA, USC, UC Irvine, UCLA Olive View, UCLA Harbor, Huntington Memorial, Arrowhead Regional
- San Diego: Scripps Green, Scripps Mercy
- Bay Area: Kaiser Santa Clara, Santa Clara Valley, St Mary's Hospital, Kaiser Oakland, Kaiser SF, California Pacific MC

1. I would be absolutely ecstatic to match at one of UIC/Loyola/Rush - how much of a reach are these schools, given my poor class rank and DO degree?
2. I know the California programs are ultra-competitive - are there any on my list that I should remove, if they're too much of a reach?
3. Since I am applying to so many Cali programs, should I aim to apply to 50+ total programs in the end, just to be safe?
4. Given my application's weaknesses, are there any other programs in major metropolitan areas which I could be competitive for? I love Chicago and California, but I'd be willing to live in Boston, NYC, Austin, DC, Seattle, Portland, etc, especially if those cities have large programs with 10+ residents.

It feels as if my list may contain way too many reach programs, so I would really appreciate some help in expanding my search a bit! Thanks fam, love you all! <3

Hey everyone, I'll start off by saying that I'm not that strong of an applicant and would really appreciate any advice on whether or not I can match at a mid-tier academic program.

US Allopathic Top 40 Medical School
Step 1: 230
Step 2: 220 (I feel like this is the biggest red flag on my application. I still have no idea how this happened)
Step 2 cs: awaiting results
MS3 rotations: Honors in internal medicine; High Pass in pediatrics, psychiatry, family medicine; pass in ObGyn and surgery
MS4 rotations: Honors in 2 medicine sub-internships
Letters: 3 strong letters, all internal medicine (third year clerkship director, sub-i 1, sub-i 2), strong department letter
Research: 5 publications, but not really medicine related - mostly stuff from college that ended up getting published during my medical school years
AOA: needless to say, no
Gold Humanism: no
Extracurriculars: Some volunteer activities here and there, nothing spectacular

I understand my application is probably severely hindered by my step 2 score, as it is near the 10th percentile. I am planning to apply to around 80 programs. Do I have a shot at matching at an university program? Or is it probably going to be community program for me?

I understand my application is probably severely hindered by my step 2 score, as it is near the 10th percentile. I am planning to apply to around 80 programs. Do I have a shot at matching at an university program? Or is it probably going to be community program for me?
Yes. Maybe. Who cares? You'll match if you apply intelligently.

You don't say anything about what you want to be when you grow up. Which would be helpful in directing you to the places you should consider. The answers will be different if you're hellbent on academic cards vs wanting a career in primary care (both of which are needed).

There are plenty of "community" programs that are as good/better than a lot of the "academic" programs out there.

As much as I hate to say this...make a list a share it with us. Let us help.

Yes. Maybe. Who cares? You'll match if you apply intelligently.

You don't say anything about what you want to be when you grow up. Which would be helpful in directing you to the places you should consider. The answers will be different if you're hellbent on academic cards vs wanting a career in primary care (both of which are needed).

There are plenty of "community" programs that are as good/better than a lot of the "academic" programs out there.

As much as I hate to say this...make a list a share it with us. Let us help.

Thank you so much for offering to help. My goal is to match into hematology/oncology fellowship and eventually work in a private practice oncology group. I am from North East and would love to go to residency anywhere in NE or East Coast in general. The current list I have is:

Reaches:
NYU
NYU Tisch Kimmel
BID-MA
Mt. Sinai
Yale-New Haven
UPenn
Pennsylvania hospital of UPenn
UNC
UVA
Pitt
Hopkins Bayview
BU

Others:
Tufts
URochester
Thomas Jefferson
Wake Forest
GW
GTown
Temple
Drexel
Brown
Montefiore
UMaryland
Hofstra
SUNY Downstate
UMiami
VCU
Rutgers

Then a bunch of community programs in the NE, I have a meeting with my dean next Monday to discuss which ones our school has a good reputation with.

Thank you so much for offering to help. My goal is to match into hematology/oncology fellowship and eventually work in a private practice oncology group. I am from North East and would love to go to residency anywhere in NE or East Coast in general. The current list I have is:

Reaches:
NYU
NYU Tisch Kimmel
BID-MA
Mt. Sinai
Yale-New Haven
UPenn
Pennsylvania hospital of UPenn
UNC
UVA
Pitt
Hopkins Bayview
BU

Others:
Tufts
URochester
Thomas Jefferson
Wake Forest
GW
GTown
Temple
Drexel
Brown
Montefiore
UMaryland
Hofstra
SUNY Downstate
UMiami
VCU
Rutgers

Then a bunch of community programs in the NE, I have a meeting with my dean next Monday to discuss which ones our school has a good reputation with.
Aside from Pennsy and BU, most of those places in your "reach" list aren't happening. No reason not to apply (it's just money after all), but you need to be realistic.

The rest of your list looks fine, although I'd avoid Downstate. Could add UMass, Dartmouth, MUSC as well.

Any advice for me?

IMG from Europe with PhD from top-university in US, great (research based) LORs, multiple publications in top journals / several oral communications/posters, interested in physician-scientist track.
Step scores: 234/236/pass

DO student, comlex 1/2 540/530, USMLE 1/2 223/237, comlex PE pass 1st attempt. looking for programs really in the south east all the way up to New England (don't really want to live in New York or Boston, prefer smaller city) and was wondering what my chances are at low tier uviversity IM or community with fellowships, anyone have any suggestions on where I should apply, also no research and top quartile of class. No red flags

Any advice for me?

IMG from Europe with PhD from top-university in US, great (research based) LORs, multiple publications in top journals / several oral communications/posters, interested in physician-scientist track.

You step scores will hold you back and may limit your chances to match into PSP track. Do you have USCE? Research letters will only get you so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any advice for me?

1. You should only submit 1 research LOR. Even research pathway programs are primarily looking to hire wards monkeys, with research being a distant second in concern.

2. Your step scores are average, but not terrible. PhD and pubs should make up for that and you'll make it through most screens.

3. Visa status? This will matter much less on the clinical side of things, but if you're not a citizen/PR, you are ineligible for federal funding (T32 training grants and the like) which is how the vast majority of PSTP programs fund your research time (because you're otherwise a financial liability for them if you're not moving the meat in the clinic/wards/ICU/procedure unit).

4. USCE? If you don't have at least a little bit of it, almost nothing else in your app will matter.

1. You should only submit 1 research LOR. Even research pathway programs are primarily looking to hire wards monkeys, with research being a distant second in concern.

2. Your step scores are average, but not terrible. PhD and pubs should make up for that and you'll make it through most screens.

3. Visa status? This will matter much less on the clinical side of things, but if you're not a citizen/PR, you are ineligible for federal funding (T32 training grants and the like) which is how the vast majority of PSTP programs fund your research time (because you're otherwise a financial liability for them if you're not moving the meat in the clinic/wards/ICU/procedure unit).

4. USCE? If you don't have at least a little bit of it, almost nothing else in your app will matter.

Thanks for the advice! I will hopefully have a GC by the moment I will start the residency (application for GC is still pending at the moment, but expect to at least get the EAD in a month or two from now). I have one month of USCE (with hands-on experience) in a smaller NYC hospital and outpatient clinic.

Thanks for the advice! I will hopefully have a GC by the moment I will start the residency (application for GC is still pending at the moment, but expect to at least get the EAD in a month or two from now). I have one month of USCE (with hands-on experience) in a smaller NYC hospital and outpatient clinic.
You'll probably be OK then. Obviously more clinical experience would be useful but that's water under the bridge.

The USCE is your biggest barrier to matching. 1 month may get you screened out a lot of places. Time since graduation may be another issue. I would apply broadly and not focus on PSPs. The smaller programs may be less likely to match you if you play up research too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Med school: US MD
Step 1: 240s
Step 2 CK: 250s
Step 2 CS: pass
Grades: HP IM and Neuro; only honors are electives/4th year stuff
ECs: Some research but pretty much nothing else

Eyeing mostly university programs in the Midwest:

Minnesota
Mayo
Wisconsin
Iowa
WUSTL
Nebraska
A couple of the Chicago schools probably (trying to decide which)
Indiana
Michigan

Do I need any safety type programs? How many places should I apply to? Any recommendations on additional programs?

Last edited:
Med school: US MD
Step 1: 240s
Step 2 CK: 250s
Step 2 CS: pass
Grades: HP IM and Neuro; only honors are electives/4th year stuff
ECs: Some research but pretty much nothing else

Eyeing mostly university programs in the Midwest:

Minnesota
Mayo
Wisconsin
Iowa
WUSTL
Nebraska
A couple of the Chicago schools probably (trying to decide which)
Indiana
Michigan

Do I need any safety type programs? How many places should I apply to? Any recommendations on additional programs?

I would add Loyola, Rush and UIC. UChicago and NW probably aren't happening but it's always worth a shot I suppose. Would also add Case, and maybe a few from the SLU/MCW/CC/Cincinnati group. And a few community programs nearby just to be on the safe side (though if you just applied to the programs you listed your odds of matching are still >80% imo). I would target between 20-30 places.

I would add Loyola, Rush and UIC. UChicago and NW probably aren't happening but it's always worth a shot I suppose. Would also add Case, and maybe a few from the SLU/MCW/CC/Cincinnati group. And a few community programs nearby just to be on the safe side (though if you just applied to the programs you listed your odds of matching are still >80% imo). I would target between 20-30 places.
why are UC and NW unlikely?

I'll be nice and blunt:
bump please

thanks again

What's the point of your bump if you aren't going to listen to begin with?

If you want actual advice, here is some: I can't tell you where to apply to, but I can tell you where NOT to apply to, since you won't be getting interviews from the following:

MGH,BWH,BID,BU,Yale,Montefiore,Columbia,Cornell,NYU,Mt.Sinai,Jefferson,Penn,Hopkins,Bayview,UMD,UVA,Duke,UNC,Emory,Vanderbilt,UAB,WashU,UChicago,Northwestern,Michigan,Mayo,CCF,Case,OHSU,Iowa,UTSW,Baylor,Colorado,Wash,UCSF,UCLA,UCSD,Stanford

I am sure I am missing some programs, but good luck with your application. You will need it, esp with that attitude.

Doubt you'll get more than 1 IV to your reaches unfortunately. Mt.Sinai in NY is a top program so it will be in your reach category. I see you avoided Baltimore programs. Baltimore as a city is much nicer than its reputation. In addition, given your good but not stellar application, you should consider broadening to non-east coast programs with strong IM departments. If your goal is good training and fellowship opportunities rather than just being on the east coast, you should consider non-east coast programs. If your goal is to be in the Boston-NYC-Philly-Bmore-DC-Richmond-Durham area, then your list is ok. Would include some smaller programs in NY/LI/NJ.

I would add: Drexel, University of Maryland, Rutgers, Hofstra, Stonybrook, UConn. If looking more broadly, add CCF, Case, OHSU, Colorado, Iowa, UAB (there are many more, I'm too lazy to list them all)

Hello everyone! I've lurked through this thread for a number of months now, to try to come up with a list of programs I'd like to apply to. But now that my class rank and step 2 scores are finalized, I was hoping for some help from the community. First, here's a rundown of my application:

Undergrad: Univ of Illinois
Master's Degree: Georgetown
Med School: DO School in California
Step 1: 240 / Level 1: 575
Step 2: 242 / Level 2: Pending
Class Rank: Bottom 20%
Honors: Only FM
LOR: Two strong letters from IM SubI, Chair Letter, and hoping to get a strong letter from an upcoming ICU rotation
Research: 2 poster presentations, 1 publication pending in OB/GYN (2nd author), 1 IRB proposal written and submitted (I would be first author once this project gets published), and some bench research experience in undergrad
EC's: Employed part time as ER scribe during good portion of MS1 and MS2; Worked as Lyft/Uber driver during MS3; created a business this year, which should hopefully go live and become profitable by end of 2017, volleyball coach

The biggest red flag on my application is certainly my class rank, which is in the bottom quintile of the class. I struggled with test taking during years 1 and 2 of medical school, but managed to work hard and overachieve a bit on the Step exams. I think/hope that the strongest part of my application is my employment history through out medical school. I've focused on minimizing my debt burden the best I could, by working various jobs during my free nights and weekends.

My goal is to match into a middle/low tier academic program, or a high/middle tier community program in either Chicago (first choice) or one of the major California cities. I'm also going to search for programs in other metropolitan areas, but I am having a hard time determining which ones I would be competitive for. Of note, I am most likely going to pursue a career in hospitalist medicine, but if I do decide to specialize, it would be in Pulm/Crit. Here is my dream list thus far:

- Chicago: Rush, Loyola, UIC, Advocate Christ/Lutheran, Stroger, NorthShore
- LA Area: Cedars Sinai, Kaiser LA, USC, UC Irvine, UCLA Olive View, UCLA Harbor, Huntington Memorial, Arrowhead Regional
- San Diego: Scripps Green, Scripps Mercy
- Bay Area: Kaiser Santa Clara, Santa Clara Valley, St Mary's Hospital, Kaiser Oakland, Kaiser SF, California Pacific MC

1. I would be absolutely ecstatic to match at one of UIC/Loyola/Rush - how much of a reach are these schools, given my poor class rank and DO degree?
2. I know the California programs are ultra-competitive - are there any on my list that I should remove, if they're too much of a reach?
3. Since I am applying to so many Cali programs, should I aim to apply to 50+ total programs in the end, just to be safe?
4. Given my application's weaknesses, are there any other programs in major metropolitan areas which I could be competitive for? I love Chicago and California, but I'd be willing to live in Boston, NYC, Austin, DC, Seattle, Portland, etc, especially if those cities have large programs with 10+ residents.

It feels as if my list may contain way too many reach programs, so I would really appreciate some help in expanding my search a bit! Thanks fam, love you all! <3

1. They are realistic reaches; your application has unique aspects that you can sell. Your biggest barrier is landing interviews
2. Keep all CA programs since that's where you want to be (outside of Chicago)
3. Yes
4. Many academic/community programs around NYC, you should target those[/QUOTE]

why are UC and NW unlikely?

Because the applicant appears to hail from a non-top 20 school, has very little research, and is only an OK candidate. Folks who match at UChic,NW,Michigan, etc are stellar candidates (with higher step scores, more research, a 'wow' factor in their app), which the op is not

Reactions: 1 users
DO student, comlex 1/2 540/530, USMLE 1/2 223/237, comlex PE pass 1st attempt. looking for programs really in the south east all the way up to New England (don't really want to live in New York or Boston, prefer smaller city) and was wondering what my chances are at low tier uviversity IM or community with fellowships, anyone have any suggestions on where I should apply, also no research and top quartile of class. No red flags

Bump... anyone have any input at my chances and or programs that I have a shot at?

Hey all!
Med School: Top 5 in CA
Step 1: 215 (I know, major f*ck up)
Step 2 CK: 260
Pre-clinical: P/F
Clinical: Honors in Medicine, Neuro, Psych and Medicine Sub-I, Pass in the rest. Grades are H/P/F
No AOA
Research: 1 local poster presentation
ECs: Lots of leadership on campus, volunteering, different outreach program etc,

Pretty much a very basic applicant, with potential hangups because of Step 1 and lack of more honors :(
Would love to stay in West Coast, but I'm flexible! Hoping to do a fellowship after. I know my list is very very top heavy; is it even worth applying to some of these programs?

West: UCSF, Stanford, UCLA (hella reaches) OHSU, UCSD, UCI, UCD, UWash, Cedars
East: BU, BIDMC, Duke, JHU, Mass Gen, NYU, Columbia, UPenn, Yale, UPMC, Brown
Midwest: WashU, Michigan, Northwestern, UChicago, Mayo
South: Baylor, UTSW, Vanderbilt, Emory

You need a few more safeties; you scored below the national average and you chose the top programs in each geographic area. You may match to one of those in your list because of your school but if this year happens to be more competitive, you won't get many interview invites.

How about you give us a list of the places you're thinking about.
Sure sorry, I was thinking Tennessee (Memphis Knox and Chattanooga, Kentucky, Louisville, Marshall, west va, MUSC, programs along those lines for the south, also Maine med, UMass, and a few more not so competitive ones in the north east. I have a lot more saved on eras these are just a few, right now I've saved about 70, some are probably unrealistic and about twenty are community with and without fellowships in house, I'm just wanting to make sure I'm safe to match with my application.

I posted earlier in the year, but now it's been updated to include step 2 and the rest of my clinical grades

Med school rank: #35-40 depending on the year
USMLE Step 1: 240
USMLE Step 2: 247
USMLE CS: pending
Class rank: 2nd quartile
AOA: No
GHHS: No

Grades:
-Honors: Medicine, Peds, OB/Gyn, Psych, Neurology
-High Pass:
-Pass: FM, Surgery, Medicine AI (P/F at my school)

Research:
-Publications: 1x first-author basic science, 1x first-author review article, 2x meta-analysis (in-progress), 1x retrospective review (in-progress)
-Patents: Provisional patent medical-related device from undergrad
-Presentations: 2 oral presentations (1st auth) + 3-5 poster presentations
LOR: 2 IM letters (well-known PD and associate dean), 1 from ok letter from research PI (letter will be LATE), IM dept letter, MSPE
ECs/Leadership: Solid national and state level leadership/involvement in one organization with significant time investment. No real volunteering experiences otherwise
Race: over-represented minority (not sure if this is a factor)

I am aiming for academic IM programs in and around the southeast / midwest that would set me up for a Heme-Onc fellowship. I really screwed up my step 2 somehow (was doing much better on practice tests...not sure what happened). Should I even bother applying to my reaches or will I get screened out? The AVERAGE step 2 for 2017 IM applicants that matched was 246, so I really **** the bag on this one.

Here are the programs I would like to apply to:

-Duke, Vandy, Mayo, WashU, tOSU, Colorado, Emory, UAB, OHSU, UNC, Baylor
-Wake, UVA, USF, UF, Case Western, GWU, Miami Jackson, Miami Miller, MUSC, VCU
-UT-Houston, UTHSC-San Antonio, Tulane, UTMB

I only have 25 programs so far, and with a few more local safeties I should be at 28. Is that too few schools? Should I add a few more schools? Feels like my list is a little top heavy. Do I still have a shot at UTSW/Baylor/Emory (In that order)? Should I remove any of my reaches? Thank you guys for all of your help!

In order of importance:

1. Honor IM
2. Gun for AOA as it seems you may still be in the running for this
3. Take CK early (i.e., June/July) and try to do well (>250)

But even without any of that you're still a strong applicant.

@Señor S, I have failed you. The only thing on that list I have actually done is honor IM.

I posted earlier in the year, but now it's been updated to include step 2 and the rest of my clinical grades

Med school rank: #35-40 depending on the year
USMLE Step 1: 240
USMLE Step 2: 247
USMLE CS: pending
Class rank: 2nd quartile
GHHS: No

Grades:
-Honors: Medicine, Peds, OB/Gyn, Psych, Neurology
-High Pass:
-Pass: FM, Surgery, Medicine AI (P/F at my school)

Research:
-Publications: 1x first-author basic science, 1x first-author review article, 2x meta-analysis (in-progress), 1x retrospective review (in-progress)
-Patents: Provisional patent medical-related device from undergrad
-Presentations: 2 oral presentations (1st auth) + 3-5 poster presentations
LOR: 2 IM letters (well-known PD and associate dean), 1 from ok letter from research PI (letter will be LATE), IM dept letter, MSPE
ECs/Leadership: Solid national and state level leadership/involvement in one organization with significant time investment. No real volunteering experiences otherwise
Race: over-represented minority (not sure if this is a factor)

I am aiming for academic IM programs in and around the southeast / midwest that would set me up for a Heme-Onc fellowship. I really screwed up my step 2 somehow (was doing much better on practice tests...not sure what happened). Should I even bother applying to my reaches or will I get screened out? The AVERAGE step 2 for 2017 IM applicants that matched was 246, so I really **** the bag on this one.

Here are the programs I would like to apply to:

-Duke, Vandy, Mayo, WashU, tOSU, Colorado, Emory, UAB, OHSU, UNC, Baylor
-Wake, UVA, USF, UF, Case Western, GWU, Miami Jackson, Miami Miller, MUSC, VCU
-UT-Houston, UTHSC-San Antonio, Tulane, UTMB

I only have 25 programs so far, and with a few more local safeties I should be at 28. Is that too few schools? Should I add a few more schools? Feels like my list is a little top heavy. Do I still have a shot at UTSW/Baylor/Emory (In that order)? Should I remove any of my reaches? Thank you guys for all of your help!

You will be competitive for every institution on your list; you may even get an IV to Duke. Step 2 score is perhaps one of the least important parts of your application; your publications and research experience more than make up for it. Also, UTSW/Baylor/Emory tend to be less competitive than Duke/Vandy/WashU so your question is answered.

I would add: Emory, UTSW, Baylor, Iowa, Northwestern, UChicago, Michigan, Georgetown, UMD, Hopkins (no reason to add other MD programs if you're applying to GWU already), Pitt. You can probably cut out a few TX/FL safeties as well; you'll match if you have 3 "safeties" including your home institution.

Doubt you'll get more than 1 IV to your reaches unfortunately. Mt.Sinai in NY is a top program so it will be in your reach category. I see you avoided Baltimore programs. Baltimore as a city is much nicer than its reputation. In addition, given your good but not stellar application, you should consider broadening to non-east coast programs with strong IM departments. If your goal is good training and fellowship opportunities rather than just being on the east coast, you should consider non-east coast programs. If your goal is to be in the Boston-NYC-Philly-Bmore-DC-Richmond-Durham area, then your list is ok. Would include some smaller programs in NY/LI/NJ.

I would add: Drexel, University of Maryland, Rutgers, Hofstra, Stonybrook, UConn. If looking more broadly, add CCF, Case, OHSU, Colorado, Iowa, UAB (there are many more, I'm too lazy to list them all)

Thank you for your response, and your honesty!

My goal is to attend an academic program on the east coast that will set me up for an eventual cardiovascular fellowship, hopefully at my home residency institution (my wife and I want to settle down and start a family where we go to residency - we don't want to move anymore). I've taken away some reaches (NYP, Mass Gen, Brigham, Mount Sinai), and added about half the programs you listed. I'm up to 40 now, hopefully that will place me somewhere! Thank you so much for you time! ^^

Hi everyone --
Med School: State school in NE
Step 1: 245
Step 2 CK: 257
Clinical: All H (including core medicine and Sub-I) except HP in Surgery
Pubs: 2 publications (3rd author), 5 abstracts, funded research fellowship btw MS1/2
EC: clinic work, medical spanish instructor (billingual), fundraiser/marathon runner, etc.
LOR: 2 Medicine faculty from core/sub-I rotations (one is our school's PD), 1 from Medicine faculty research mentor/advisor, 1 chair's letter

Currently have 24 programs listed -- applying only to top and middle tier places in larger northeast. (Boston --> DC with a focus on NY)
Thoughts?

I don't know how active this WAMC thread is, but I'll be open to suggestions based on my stats alone.

School: Low Tier MD school. Originally CA resident - will be using all CA addresses on my app.
Step 1: Low 230's
Class Rank: Top 1/3
Clerkship Grades: Honors in Internal med (on the top 5% bar graph).
Research: Minimal - presented 1 poster from research. No publications.
Typical LOR's/EC's.

Chances at NY + CA programs?
NY: Jacobi, Montefiore, SUNY brooklyn, Hofstra Northwell, Winthrop, Beth Israel Icahn, Stony Brook,
CA: Scripps Green, Cedars-Sinai, Kaisers, USC, UCI, Cal Pacific in SF, Harbor UCLA

Dreamer ones? U of Hawaii (no regional connection), Tufts, BostonU, UCSD.

Thanks!

2CK came back in upper 250's. Does that change my chances at all with a 20+ point jump from Step 1? Asking in case I should change anything to the program list before submitting - was told some IM PD's now consider 2CK= or >Step1 after you get past the Step 1 screening tool, but I am taking this bit of info I heard from multiple admins with a grain of salt and caution.

Thanks in advance!

2CK came back in upper 250's. Does that change my chances at all with a 20+ point jump from Step 1? Asking in case I should change anything to the program list before submitting - was told some IM PD's now consider 2CK= or >Step1 after you get past the Step 1 screening tool, but I am taking this bit of info I heard from multiple admins with a grain of salt and caution.

Thanks in advance!

It doesn't really change much in my opinion. Everyone does better on step 2, hence the much higher national average on step 2 vs. step 1. Your 20 point jump looks good, but it probably won't surprise or impress too many.

As far as changing your list, why not add more reaches? You only get to do this once (hopefully).

It doesn't really change much in my opinion. Everyone does better on step 2, hence the much higher national average on step 2 vs. step 1. Your 20 point jump looks good, but it probably won't surprise or impress too many.

As far as changing your list, why not add more reaches? You only get to do this once (hopefully).

Thanks for the response! The PD at my school says that its the percentile jump that is considered a real jump, though, so a 235 on Step 1 and a 240 on Step 2CK is actually a downward trend. I don't really know what to believe at the end of the day.

As for the reaches, I figured most of the places I listed for CA are reaches. UCSD is more like a longshot/unlikely one. Same with my list for NY with the Icahn/Cornell/Columbia places being Longshots as well, I figure mostly due to my Step 1/lack of pubs/lack of top tier medical school.

Finishing up what programs to apply to

AMG, Midtiest Midwest; ties to east coast
Step 1- 235
Step 2- 251
Grades: no class ranking
1-2 = Mix of P, HP H
3 = H: 2 electives, peds, family med, psych HP: All else (including IM(
4: honors Sub I - w/ great comments
Research: 1 Pubs submitted (4th), 3 posters, 1 oral presentation
EC: Good involvement in and out school, president of a club, a few unique hobbies
LOR: 3 solid letters from IM + chair dept.

Safety:
RWJ
NJMS
Miami
UIC
Rush Loyola
UMD
MCW

Target:
Wisco
Tulane
Hofstra LIJ
Mt. Sinai St Luke
Pennsyl hospital
Scripps Green/Mercy
Temple
Jefferson
BU
Emory
Case West
CCF
Brown
Cedars Sinai
Tufts

Reach:
Mt. Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
UTSW
Baylor
Northwestern
Uchicago
BIDMC
UCLA
USC
UCSD
Penn
Vandy

Of this list (30'ish(, i really like Emory, UTSW, UCSD, Sinai, and Jefferson. thoughts?

Hi everyone --
Med School: State school in NE
Step 1: 245
Step 2 CK: 257
Clinical: All H (including core medicine and Sub-I) except HP in Surgery
Pubs: 2 publications (3rd author), 5 abstracts, funded research fellowship btw MS1/2
EC: clinic work, medical spanish instructor (billingual), fundraiser/marathon runner, etc.
LOR: 2 Medicine faculty from core/sub-I rotations (one is our school's PD), 1 from Medicine faculty research mentor/advisor, 1 chair's letter

Currently have 24 programs listed -- applying only to top and middle tier places in larger northeast. (Boston --> DC with a focus on NY)
Thoughts?

You are a competitive applicant; however, just know that the big 3 in Boston, big 4 in NYC, Penn, and Hopkins are a crapshoot. You will get IVs to some, but not all, of them. But you will match at Monte,Hofstra,Jefferson,UMD,Georgetown at the least so you should be good.

Finishing up what programs to apply to

AMG, Midtiest Midwest; ties to east coast
Step 1- 235
Step 2- 251
Grades: no class ranking
1-2 = Mix of P, HP H
3 = H: 2 electives, peds, family med, psych HP: All else (including IM(
4: honors Sub I - w/ great comments
Research: 1 Pubs submitted (4th), 3 posters, 1 oral presentation
EC: Good involvement in and out school, president of a club, a few unique hobbies
LOR: 3 solid letters from IM + chair dept.

Safety:
RWJ
NJMS
Miami
UIC
Rush Loyola
UMD
MCW

Target:
Wisco
Tulane
Hofstra LIJ
Mt. Sinai St Luke
Pennsyl hospital
Scripps Green/Mercy
Temple
Jefferson
BU
Emory
Case West
CCF
Brown
Cedars Sinai
Tufts

Reach:
Mt. Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
UTSW
Baylor
Northwestern
Uchicago
BIDMC
UCLA
USC
UCSD
Penn
Vandy

Of this list (30'ish(, i really like Emory, UTSW, UCSD, Sinai, and Jefferson. thoughts?

Your reaches are indeed reaches unfortunately. Your Cali chances are low, given your great but not stellar application. You are competitive at UTSW and Emory, Sinai is a probably a no, and Jefferson you'd be a strong applicant for. Good luck. You'll match somewhere great with your list. Can probably cut out some of the safeties/targets in areas you don't like.

What are my chances at a top IM program? Currently a 3rd year at a well established DO school. This is assuming that I score well on Step 2 (goal of 270+) and do decently well on clinical evaluations.

Browsing through the top IM programs is depressing. Their rosters seldom seem to have any DO's on them. I can think of a few that have DO's (ex. vanderbilt) but it seems to be extremely rare. Can you guys shed some light on this? Thank you!!!

Step 1: 262
COMLEX 1: 831 (99.999% percentile)
top 5-10% of class - preclinical grades
4 years of unique work experience in the healthcare industry (prior to med school)
research:
-2 publications (2nd and 3rd author) - high impact cardiology journals
-2 more publications under review (both 2nd author) - high impact cardiology journals
-7 research presentations (6 poster, 1 oral)
-multiple research awards (first place presentations, researcher of year, etc)
-currently working on a few more research projects, hoping to have at least another publication and poster presentation from this

You're in DO school, what more light do you need to shed on that situation?