This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medical School: University of Miami
Step 1: 247
Step 2: Will not take before submitting ERAS
Class Rank: 2nd quartile
AOA: No
GHHS: No
Research: some lab research (no pubs/posters) during 1st summer off. Presenting case study (peds) at department research symposium, possibly at state medical conference.
Other: Graduate degree in Physiology before medical school (not a PhD, not a SMP)

Massachusetts General Hospital
Brigham & Women's Hospital
UCSF
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Northwestern/McGaw
University of Chicago
Cornell University
Mt. Sinai Hospital
Columbia University Medical Ctr
NYU
UCLA
BIDMC
Hosp. of University of Pennsylvania
Stanford University
University of Washington
University of Texas Southwestern
Baylor College of Medicine
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Mayo Clinic
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Barnes-Jewish WUSTL
University of Michigan
Boston University Medical Center
University of Southern California
Georgetown University Hospital Program
George Washington University Program
University of Colorado
University of Minnesota
Duke University Medical Center
University of North Carolina
UPMC
Jefferson Medical Center
Houston Methodist Hospital
University of Texas Houston
Abbott Northwestern Memorial (MN)
Johns Hopkins Bayview
University of Virginia
University of Maryland Med Ctr
Montefiore (AECOM)
Northwell/Hofstra
SUNY Stony Brook
University of Miami / Jackson Memorial Hospital
University of Florida
Lenox Hill Hospital
SUNY Health Science Center
New York Methodist Hospital (Brooklyn)
Maimonides Medical Center (Brooklyn)
Brooklyn Hospital Center (Brooklyn)
New York Medical College - Westchester Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research: some lab research (no pubs/posters) during 1st summer off. Presenting case study (peds) at department research symposium, possibly at state medical conference.
Other: Graduate degree in Physiology before medical school (not a PhD, not a SMP)

UCSF
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Northwestern/McGaw
University of Chicago
Cornell University
Mt. Sinai Hospital
NYU
UCLA
BIDMC
Stanford University
University of Washington
Mayo Clinic
Barnes-Jewish WUSTL
University of Michigan
University of Colorado
University of Minnesota
UPMC
Jefferson Medical Center
Johns Hopkins Bayview
University of Virginia
Montefiore (AECOM)
Northwell/Hofstra
SUNY Stony Brook
University of Florida
Lenox Hill Hospital

Way way way too many programs. Even with ties to the area I'd remove Methodist, nymc, Brooklyn hosp center, downstate, Lenox hill. Also I'd at least consider applying with an idea of where you want to be, I see northeast, Midwest south mid Atlantic and west coast on your list. Seems a little all over the place but whatever floats your boat.

Also as far as "what are your chances" you'll probably end up at a great program but probably not "top" program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

UCSF
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Northwestern/McGaw
University of Chicago
Cornell University
Mt. Sinai Hospital
NYU
UCLA
BIDMC
Stanford University
University of Washington
Mayo Clinic
Barnes-Jewish WUSTL
University of Michigan
University of Colorado
University of Minnesota
UPMC
Jefferson Medical Center
Johns Hopkins Bayview
University of Virginia
Montefiore (AECOM)
Northwell/Hofstra
SUNY Stony Brook
University of Florida
Lenox Hill Hospital

Way way way too many programs. Even with ties to the area I'd remove Methodist, nymc, Brooklyn hosp center, downstate, Lenox hill. Also I'd at least consider applying with an idea of where you want to be, I see northeast, Midwest south mid Atlantic and west coast on your list. Seems a little all over the place but whatever floats your boat.

Also as far as "what are your chances" you'll probably end up at a great program but probably not "top" program.

Agree with the above. Out of the first 14 programs you may get one interview. Not saying don't apply to any of them but it's an overreach to apply to all of them.

Whittle it down by geographic region. Be honest with yourself. Are you really going to Nashville or Houston? If you're insisting on having the low tier nyc adjacent programs on your list then you're clearly not being honest about where you are willing to go geographically.

Also consider taking step 2 earlier.

If you want more specific advice feel free to PM me. I had an essentially identical application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

UCSF
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Northwestern/McGaw
University of Chicago
Cornell University
Mt. Sinai Hospital
NYU
UCLA
BIDMC
Stanford University
University of Washington
Mayo Clinic
Barnes-Jewish WUSTL
University of Michigan
University of Colorado
University of Minnesota
UPMC
Jefferson Medical Center
Johns Hopkins Bayview
University of Virginia
Montefiore (AECOM)
Northwell/Hofstra
SUNY Stony Brook
University of Florida
Lenox Hill Hospital

Kind of a schizophrenic list. Whittle it down a bit and figure out where you want to go.

I think the top tier are going to be hard to swing with second quartile grades and little in the way of research.

Kind of a schizophrenic list. Whittle it down a bit and figure out where you want to go.

I think the top tier are going to be hard to swing with second quartile grades and little in the way of research.

I have no geographic preference. I'll be excited to live and practice medicine someplace completely new, and as long as the program is up to snuff for fellowship placement, I am fine letting the universe decide the location.

Perhaps my "personal story" bears some mentioning, for clarification.
I was diagnosed with cancer two weeks before medical school orientation. I underwent treatment simultaneously while studying for my classes. I managed to swing 2nd quartile and a 247 on step 1, chemotherapy side effects notwithstanding. Am healthy and in remission now, thankfully.

Reactions: 2 users
Ross us citizen born in Asia
240s step 1
227 step 2
Cs pass
No red flags no loa
Top quartile in basic
Hp in Im

8 interviews, 3 in home state

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not nerves, it's paranoia. Probably from the...JamaicanHerb :heckyeah:

These places interview 120-150 people, God knows how many don't rank me for the verbal diarrhea. At the family med ones I was the only us img the rest us md interviewing,, makes me paranoid.

These places interview 120-150 people, God knows how many don't rank me for the verbal diarrhea. At the family med ones I was the only us img the rest us md interviewing,, makes me paranoid.
Programs have to rank 10 individuals for every spot. So if a program wants to fill 1o spots, they have to rank 100 applicants unless they want to leave these spot unfilled and try their luck in the SOAP.

You will match with your stats... I am curious as to why you apply to both IM/FM when you could have applied to 160+ IM or FM programs.

From the list I provided, can you tease out the difference between what you're calling "top" and "great"? Top being the top 10 only? Which would be....? Otherwise? Also, as far as "great" programs are concerned, I'd like to match into cardiology so really what I'm interested in isn't so much name/prestige, but which programs would be good for that fellowship match (though I recognize the two often do go hand in hand)....

From the list I provided, can you tease out the difference between what you're calling "top" and "great"? Top being the top 10 only? Which would be....? Otherwise? Also, as far as "great" programs are concerned, I'd like to match into cardiology so really what I'm interested in isn't so much name/prestige, but which programs would be good for that fellowship match (though I recognize the two often do go hand in hand)....

"Top"
UCSF
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Northwestern/McGaw
Cornell University
Mt. Sinai Hospital
BIDMC
Stanford University
University of Washington
Mayo Clinic

"Great/good"
NYU
Barnes-Jewish WUSTL
University of Michigan
University of Colorado
University of Minnesota
UPMC
Jefferson Medical Center
Johns Hopkins Bayview
University of Virginia
Montefiore (AECOM)

Some could argue the placement of some of these but you get the idea. Any of these programs would set you up nicely for fellowship.

"Top"
UCSF
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Northwestern/McGaw
Cornell University
Mt. Sinai Hospital
BIDMC
Stanford University
University of Washington
Mayo Clinic

"Great/good"
NYU
Barnes-Jewish WUSTL
University of Michigan
University of Colorado
University of Minnesota
UPMC
Jefferson Medical Center
Johns Hopkins Bayview
University of Virginia
Montefiore (AECOM)

Some could argue the placement of some of these but you get the idea. Any of these programs would set you up nicely for fellowship.

I'm relatively happy with the split you propose here. Thank you :)

Programs have to rank 10 individuals for every spot. So if a program wants to fill 1o spots, they have to rank 100 applicants unless they want to leave these spot unfilled and try their luck in the SOAP.

You will match with your stats... I am curious as to why you apply to both IM/FM when you could have applied to 160+ IM or FM programs.

I applied 168 IM programs and 67 FM programs.

Interesting that you have had a much better return in FM! Did you apply mostly to university IM programs?

Ya, i really think that step 1 score pushed me over the 10% return rate, i wonder how i'd be sitting had i went all FM!
I applied to only programs that matched students from my school using a list they sent out that had placements in the last 3 years, this list included mostly community, communiversities and university programs; more so the former two.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey ya'll!
Just a 3rd year (who loves cardio ;)) who is sitting around waiting for babies to pop out (on L&D for OB rotation) with nothing better to do than try to gauge my application for what is currently my dream list, and what I can do to improve it. I feel there's not a lot to go off of, but fire away :corny:

AMG - Low to Mid Tier NE

Step 1- 242
Step 2- Haven't decided when I will take
Grades: Top quartile
Clinical Grades: Not allowed to take shelves until after winter break
AOA: elections during senior year
Research: 3 poster presentations (one of which was a QI), 1 national conference presentation; plan on finishing 2-3 case reports before next year
Extracurriculars: leadership position in 3 school clubs, 200+ hours of free clinic, teaching, coaching, medical staff at community and sporting events

Programs Being Considered
1. Southeast: UNC (#1), Wake, Duke, UVA
2. Northeast: Penn, Jeff, Temple, Einstein PA,
NYP, NYU, Sinai, Einstein NY, LIJ, SUNY Brooklyn, SUNY Stony Brook
Boston Med, Beth Deacon, Tufts, UMass
JHU, UMD

Double bump

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"Top"

"Great/good"
NYU

I would argue with the placement of this program based on the fellowship match I just saw. Match-wise, it's at least comparable to some of the programs you have on the top list. But I'm not gonna split hairs. To each their own and I might be a little biased (obviously)

Edit: On second thought, I realized after a split second that I really don't care and suddenly caught the flaw in my logic haha. I was going to delete this post but I thought it wise to offer a word of advice. I want to be clear, I don't think ranking programs in your mind is wrong at all but don't lose sight of the bigger picture. You all should pick a place where you'll be happy for three years. Three years is a long time! People get married, have kids, and slowly realize that life is more than a rank list. Everyone, think of residency as more of a destination than as a vehicle. Go someplace that you'll look back on in fondness. It sounds reiterative but it's something that bears repeating. If you think you'll be happier in Omaha Nebraska than Boston, then buck the fellowship match and go where you'll be satisfied. Worst to worst you'll spend fellowship in the same place you've grown to love for so long. And fwiw, none of the places in this ^ person's great/good list will keep you from where you're going. *cue sage voice* You are the arbiter of your own destinies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I'm an MS3 interested in IM and just want to see where I stand in terms of the top 20 IM programs and what I can do to improve. Any help is appreciated!!

Top 40 US allopathic School in NE
Step 1: 250+
Step 2: will take soon
MS1/2: mix of A's and B's, no honors
MS3: A's so far, no honors, but haven't done IM or gen surg yet
Research: really nothing to show here, I know it's a weak spot, but I've had the worst luck with research experiences

I don't really have a preference for location, just trying to get into the best IM residency possible.

Do I still have a shot at top 20 (specifically Northwestern??)

Will a great Step 2 make up for my ****ty clinical grades??

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm an MS3 interested in IM and just want to see where I stand in terms of the top 20 IM programs and what I can do to improve. Any help is appreciated!!

Research: really nothing to show here, I know it's a weak spot, but I've had the worst luck with research experiences

I don't really have a preference for location, just trying to get into the best IM residency possible.

Thanks!!
Which ridiculous school has a letter grading system that also includes honors? That's the dumbest damn thing I've heard since "we have a P/F grading system, that includes High Pass and Honors".

Here's the thing about the "Top X" programs. Every single applicant (with a snowball's chance in hell of matching there) has 250+ Steps, Top Quartile grades (often AOA) and some sort of "WOW! Factor". Your app doesn't currently have anything approaching a "WOW!".

NW is particularly notable for this kind of elitist application reviewing. FWIW, I had decent Steps (30+ point jump from 1 to 2CK though), a PhD with a publication record, was AOA and didn't get looks from over 1/2 of the "Top X" programs including NW.

Which ridiculous school has a letter grading system that also includes honors? That's the dumbest damn thing I've heard since "we have a P/F grading system, that includes High Pass and Honors".

Here's the thing about the "Top X" programs. Every single applicant (with a snowball's chance in hell of matching there) has 250+ Steps, Top Quartile grades (often AOA) and some sort of "WOW! Factor". Your app doesn't currently have anything approaching a "WOW!".

NW is particularly notable for this kind of elitist application reviewing. FWIW, I had decent Steps (30+ point jump from 1 to 2CK though), a PhD with a publication record, was AOA and didn't get looks from over 1/2 of the "Top X" programs including NW.

Yeah the grading here sucks. I figured I wasn't all too competitive for the top 20, just hoping I guess. Do you think I'll be competitive for the next tier down with the likes of Baylor, UTSW, Methodist (have family in the area)??

I doubt you'll be auto-screened but as gutonc said at Northwestern you'll probably be below average (compared to interviewees) in every category but Step 1 where you'll still probably be average-ish.

What do you consider a "top 20"?

EDIT: I think you have a very good shot at Baylor.

Last edited:
Yeah the grading here sucks. I figured I wasn't all too competitive for the top 20, just hoping I guess. Do you think I'll be competitive for the next tier down with the likes of Baylor, UTSW, Methodist (have family in the area)??
You have a good shot (assuming good clinical grades/SubI, similar Step 2 and good LORs) for a lot of great programs. But you're wasting your money on places like NW, Columbia, Duke, Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford.

Here are some "matched" invites I did/not get (granted, 10+ years ago, so take that for what it's worth):
Did-UChicago/Not-NW
Did-MGH/Not-BIDMC
Did-MSSM/Not-NYU
Did-Cornell/Not-Columbia
Did-UCLA/Not-UCSF
Did-Duke/Not-Hopkins

See a pattern there?

Me neither.

You have a good shot (assuming good clinical grades/SubI, similar Step 2 and good LORs) for a lot of great programs. But you're wasting your money on places like NW, Columbia, Duke, Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford.

Here are some "matched" invites I did/not get (granted, 10+ years ago, so take that for what it's worth):
Did-UChicago/Not-NW
Did-MGH/Not-BIDMC
Did-MSSM/Not-NYU
Did-Cornell/Not-Columbia
Did-UCLA/Not-UCSF
Did-Duke/Not-Hopkins

See a pattern there?

Me neither.

I understand its hard to figure out all of this stuff lol. Thanks for your response and help! Just gotta focus on being the best med student I can be and hope for the best!!

I understand its hard to figure out all of this stuff lol. Thanks for your response and help! Just gotta focus on being the best med student I can be and hope for the best!!
Exactly...and this is key (and what most med students have a hard time understanding since they've mostly been at the far right of the curve their whole lives)....

All that you can do is perform well on your clerkships and exams and maximize your app. But what you can't do is get inside the heads of PDs and figure out what they're looking for specifically. Furthermore, what the PD of Top X program 1 is looking for is probably different from what the PD of Program 3 is looking for, which is different from what the PD of Program...hopefully you get the picture.

Do what you can, apply broadly (and intelligently) and 3-8 years from now (depending on your sub-specialty plans), move on to a career as a BC/BE physician. That's when you get to really deal with the BS.

I wonder what the results are people matching their top 3 if they thought the interview just went average/mediocre.

Another WAMC:

School: Top 15
Step 1: 262
Clinical grades: likely will be half H, half HP; already have H in IM, will likely be second quintile and probably won't be AOA
Research: 2 first author clinical research papers, 1 first author review article, 1 first author case report, 3 abstracts, 2 middle author basic science pubs from college
ECs: Not much... Two leadership positions at school but not much else
LORs should be fantastic I think

I'm not really sure what my chances are like at top programs given that my grades are kind of meh and my class rank won't be first quintile. Also, lack of ECs (though does this matter a lot for IM programs?)?

I wonder what the results are people matching their top 3 if they thought the interview just went average/mediocre.

For our program, interviews are mostly relevant if (1) we have some concerns about you based on your written application and your interview confirms/overcomes them or (2) an interviewer strongly dislikes you. If you're solidly competitive and don't have red flags, there isn't much of a difference between a fine interview and a great interview in terms of their impact on how highly an applicant ends up being ranked.

I'm not really sure what my chances are like at top programs given that my grades are kind of meh and my class rank won't be first quintile. Also, lack of ECs (though does this matter a lot for IM programs?)?

2 first author clinical research papers, 1 first author review article, 1 first author case report, 3 abstracts, 2 middle author basic science pubs from college

I'd say your chances are excellent.

Hey guys,

I was just wondering when I should take step 2 ck. I got a 253 on step 1, but only A's so far in 3rd year, not a single honor. I wanted to take a month off in July and take the test then because my last rotation of 3rd year is medicine, so I figured it would help to keep things fresh. However, I don't want a bad score to hurt my interview chances.

Do you guys think a great step 2 score (provided I can get one) will help my app significantly or is it just not worth it?

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Hey guys,

I was just wondering when I should take step 2 ck. I got a 253 on step 1, but only A's so far in 3rd year, not a single honor. I wanted to take a month off in July and take the test then because my last rotation of 3rd year is medicine, so I figured it would help to keep things fresh. However, I don't want a bad score to hurt my interview chances.

Do you guys think a great step 2 score (provided I can get one) will help my app significantly or is it just not worth it?

Thanks!!

Can you explain what an A is? Is an A not the highest grade?

My advice is always the same. Take it so that it will be released just after applications go in so that you have a choice of whether to submit your score before interviews or not.

Can you explain what an A is? Is an A not the highest grade?

My advice is always the same. Take it so that it will be released just after applications go in so that you have a choice of whether to submit your score before interviews or not.

Yeah my school has letter grades and an honors grade. Its dumb, but it is what it is. I'm planning to take the test at the end of July so that should give me enough time to decide whether I want to submit the grade or not. Thanks!

Yeah my school has letter grades and an honors grade. Its dumb, but it is what it is. I'm planning to take the test at the end of July so that should give me enough time to decide whether I want to submit the grade or not. Thanks!

If the score comes back before eras is due, you have no choice; you must submit. If you're unsure of how you'll do, push it back

@John Snow
With a score of 250s on step1, I would get CS out of the way first before taking CK. My friend did that when he was applying to rad oncology and it worked for him. I believe he took CK at the end of October or early Novermber after receiving a bulk of interview offers. Programs just told him to submit his CK score for ranking.

Why risk it? You might get a bunch of interview offers at top programs with that score. Would these same program extend these offers if you submitted your ERAS with 250s on step1 and 230s on step2? Probably not!

Last edited:

Echoing what tantacles said, make sure you check the score release timetable before you schedule. I took my test in late July and the score came back after 9/15, but I think partly that was due to recentering (i.e., it would have come back earlier otherwise)? You can always submit ERAS before 9/15 of course, but just make sure you have this timetable nailed down.

@John Snow
With a score of 250s on step1, I would get CS out of the way first before taking CK. My friend did that when he was applying to rad oncology and it worked for him. I believe he took CK at the end of October or early Novermber after receiving a bulk of interview offers.

Why risk it? You might get a bunch of interview offers at top programs with that score. Would these same program extend these offers if you submit your ERAS with 250s on ste1 and 230s on step2? Probably not!

There's some truth to this but on the other hand he'll probably never be better prepared for the test than the month or so after he's finished 3rd year. I took my test in late July after a month of studying and if I'd waited until October/November I think my score would have been much lower. Did having a good Step 2 score help me get interviews? Tough to say but it certainly didn't hurt and if he schedules it right he'll at least have the option to release early if it's good.

Last edited:
There's some truth to this but on the other hand he'll probably never be better prepared for the test than the month or so after he's finished 3rd year. I took my test in late July after a month of studying and if I'd waited until October/November I think my score would have been much lower. Would I have gotten fewer interviews without a Step 2? Tough to say but if he schedules it right he'll at least have the option to release early if it's good.

Thanks for all the advice! I didn't realize this, but if you get your score back before you actually submit your ERAS application, will it be on there no matter what? My understanding was that if I get my score back before I submit my ERAS application, I could decide whether or not I wanted residency programs to see it.

Thanks for all the advice! I didn't realize this, but if you get your score back before you actually submit your ERAS application, will it be on there no matter what? My understanding was that if I get my score back before I submit my ERAS application, I could decide whether or not I wanted residency programs to see it.

I believe if you get it back before you submit ERAS it gets included no matter what. The flip side is that you can submit ERAS early (i.e., before September 15). If I'm wrong on this somebody please correct me.

When you submit ERAS, you need to release your USMLE transcript. The transcript includes whatever Step scores are currently available. Let's say you haven't taken Step 2 and you submit on 9/15, when you release the transcript only Step 1 scores will be released to programs(since that's all that's available). You would have to re-release the USMLE transcript later on when Step 2 scores come in. However, if your Step 2 score comes back before you submit ERAS, then when you release your USMLE transcript both Step 1 and Step 2 will be seen by programs(since they are both available at the time you released the transcript).