*Official CSU East Bay PHAP Postbac Program Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi BamaNicole,

This seems like a great place to do classes, but I'm just wondering how the program can help with other aspects of the MD application? How would you say the program will prepare a student for the MCAT? Are there any opportunities for research positions in the area (in a facilitated way)? While I'm at it, how is the difficulty of the coursework? Is the program competitive or cooperative? Are the grades scaled?

Thanks so much for doing this!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi BamaNicole,

This seems like a great place to do classes, but I'm just wondering how the program can help with other aspects of the MD application? How would you say the program will prepare a student for the MCAT? Are there any opportunities for research positions in the area (in a facilitated way)? While I'm at it, how is the difficulty of the coursework? Is the program competitive or cooperative? Are the grades scaled?

Thanks so much for doing this!

Well there are more opportunities for leadership and volunteering than when I was there. There is a student run clinical opportunity as well as various organizations on campus you could get involved with. Plus, there are advisors that can help you hone into what you need for your application.

Research...there are programs you can apply for via UCSF but there aren't research positions you can find in a facilitated way. CSUEB isn't a huge research based school, however, there is UCSF and Stanford in the area that could take post bac students. Cal maybe as well but those positions are usually taken by Cal pre-meds.

Unless this has changed (correct me if I'm wrong current students), there was a MCAT prep class from Kaplan that was the price of an unit (393) instead of the thousand that helps prep for MCAT. Other than that, I felt like the classes themselves were great in terms of giving me the general knowledge to do well on the MCAT. I actually self studied and the Kaplan class started literally right after I took the exam.

I think the coursework can be difficult but you want it to be difficult. Why? Because that's what is going to give you a good foundation for med school. You don't want a cake walk that will provide you with zero knowledge you can use for med school.

The program I thought was cooperative. My cohort studied together all the time. We also shared study guides. That could be different if you're in the academic enhancer track but I was a career changer.

Grades could be curved but it depends on the professor. For example, my Gen Chem class was not curved but it didn't need to be. However, my O chem class was curved. You can always ask how grading will be when you get your syllabus on the first day of class.

Got accepted a couple days ago! Any word on the statistics for students who have matriculated into medical school?

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted a couple days ago! Any word on the statistics for students who have matriculated into medical school?

Hi Beerito,

Congrats!!!!!
I am anxiously and excitedly still waiting here
When did you apply?
How did you get informed? By email or to-do list?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi Beerito,

Congrats!!!!!
I am anxiously and excitedly still waiting here
When did you apply?
How did you get informed? By email or to-do list?

Thank you!

Fourxxx,

My application was completed on 3/10.

I was notified first by my "to-do list" on Thursday (4/30) and I received my acceptance email today!

Fourxxx,

My application was completed on 3/10.

I was notified first by my "to-do list" on Thursday (4/30) and I received my acceptance email today!

Very nice! Thank you and Happy for you!

I applied on 3/28, hopefully to hear good news in couple days!

Hey everyone! I got accepted into the Fall 2017 cohort and I was wondering if anyone is attending Preview Day on the 6th??

Hey everyone! I got accepted into the Fall 2017 cohort and I was wondering if anyone is attending Preview Day on the 6th??
Hey! Congrats! I won't be able to make it, but would be great if you could give me a little info on what it was like!

Hey! Congrats! I won't be able to make it, but would be great if you could give me a little info on what it was like!

Yeah of course! I'll be sure to let you know :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

I too was accepted to the Fall 2017 AET program. I found out by checking "Applications Status," which I checked 3 minutes ago. Congrats to those who also have been accepted!

Cheers!

Hello kr1s12,

May I ask when did you apply?
Thank you!

Hey all,

I too was accepted to the Fall 2017 AET program. I found out by checking "Applications Status," which I checked 3 minutes ago. Congrats to those who also have been accepted!

Cheers!

Congratulations!!! I just checked, I too got accepted! Thanks for your update since we applied at the same day so I know I will get response, too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all those who were accepted!

Remember to tag me or any other past or present students should you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Well there are more opportunities for leadership and volunteering than when I was there. There is a student run clinical opportunity as well as various organizations on campus you could get involved with. Plus, there are advisors that can help you hone into what you need for your application.

Research...there are programs you can apply for via UCSF but there aren't research positions you can find in a facilitated way. CSUEB isn't a huge research based school, however, there is UCSF and Stanford in the area that could take post bac students. Cal maybe as well but those positions are usually taken by Cal pre-meds.

Unless this has changed (correct me if I'm wrong current students), there was a MCAT prep class from Kaplan that was the price of an unit (393) instead of the thousand that helps prep for MCAT. Other than that, I felt like the classes themselves were great in terms of giving me the general knowledge to do well on the MCAT. I actually self studied and the Kaplan class started literally right after I took the exam.

I think the coursework can be difficult but you want it to be difficult. Why? Because that's what is going to give you a good foundation for med school. You don't want a cake walk that will provide you with zero knowledge you can use for med school.

The program I thought was cooperative. My cohort studied together all the time. We also shared study guides. That could be different if you're in the academic enhancer track but I was a career changer.

Grades could be curved but it depends on the professor. For example, my Gen Chem class was not curved but it didn't need to be. However, my O chem class was curved. You can always ask how grading will be when you get your syllabus on the first day of class.
You are correct. Nothing has changed. However, I should mention that the classes (with the exception of ochem) are not curved. You really have to study hard and know your stuff.

Hi, Everyone!

I just got accepted into the program today on an academic enhancer track and made myself an account so I can get to know all of you.

You are correct. Nothing has changed. However, I should mention that the classes (with the exception of ochem) are not curved. You really have to study hard and know your stuff.

I couldn't remember if any other classes were. I actually appreciated all it not being curved. That way if you worked hard you got the grade you earned.

Hello,

Just wondering about the PHAP class scheduling... Are classes offered Monday-Friday, or two days per week?

Thanks for any input!

Hello,

Just wondering about the PHAP class scheduling... Are classes offered Monday-Friday, or two days per week?

Thanks for any input!

Answer to my own question... Per PHAP administration, reports that majority of classes are offered 2 days/week, few offered M-F.

Answer to my own question... Per PHAP administration, reports that majority of classes are offered 2 days/week, few offered M-F.

Thank you for that info!

I think we can start registering classes on 6/8?

I asked someone from the PHAP office and she said we can register on 6/15. Where did you hear 6/8?

The academic calendar

I actually consulted with the director and he did send me the course schedule for PHAP, and told me that the registration would start in next week.

Next week!?!? I hope they send us an email about this soon cause I need to know what's going on haha

Next week!?!? I hope they send us an email about this soon cause I need to know what's going on haha

Hello all,

So, I emailed the PHAP program with regards to registration, course schedule and counseling. A brief summary and some clarification is provided:

Registration opens 6/15 specifically for the PHAP students. 'Outstanding personal To-Do List in myscsueb may hinder your enrollment time." However, 6/5 is a priority registration "given to students enrolled in previous courses in a series. For example, students who have taken CHEM 1102 in the Winter quarter will be given priority for enrolling in CHEM 1103." Last day to add classes is 10/3. Registration is done under my CSUEB. Lastly, I was given several counselor names, and time of availability to discuss appropriate course of action for Fall.

Further details are in the email, which included a link to PHAP's Blackboard (additional PHAP program resources) and the Fall course schedule PDF (details included classes, restrictions, how to register, etc), so, I highly recommend to email the PHAP program for anyone anxious to know more information.

I'm not sure if I am permitted to reveal links on this forum, so I will hold off on doing so. If this can be clarified, and is allowed, I am happy to provide the links from my email.

Cheers!

I went to the PHAP office today and have the fall 2017 registration policy and will upload when I get home. It states that the registration begins on 6/5..

20170515_131513.jpg
20170515_131507.jpg
20170515_131504.jpg

Here are the MD/DO acceptances from 2015 and 2016.

Attachments

• FALL2017Reg05152017.pdf
    521.6 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: 2 users
Is anybody else considering other programs?

I am considering California Northstate University, Meredith College, Duquesne University, Elms College, and G-Squared post-bac programs.
Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks

May I possibly point out that this single user @BamaNicole is the ONLY person on student doctor network that I have seen who has positive reviews about CSUEB.
That is not true. I have seen couple of other users on SDN recommending the program including myself. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
They don't. No Linkage, No matriculation statistics, Not many positive reviews online, No MCAT preparatory course, No organization in general it seems like.

They did have a Kaplan course which was the cost of a single unit (around 389). That's MCAT prep. If you want matriculation stats....scroll up. You'll find them there.

If you don't like the program, then go to another one. No one is forcing you to come to CSUEB. They will survive with or without you. However, you seem to want someone to baby you and promise you a spot in a med school. You should drop that attitude as no one will hold your hand and baby you in medical school.

May I possibly point out that this single user @BamaNicole is the ONLY person on student doctor network that I have seen who has positive reviews about CSUEB.

I talked to several people who were in this program and all of them recommended the program. They all got into dental school btw.

It looks like the actual registration date for new students is in August...
Screenshot_20170530-151833.png

Thanks for the awesome responses! I feel alot better about CSUEB's post-bac now, I just wanted to be sure because they're alot of post-bacs out there that I have read poor reviews on.

I'm a little confused. So registration for incoming PHAP students is August 1. On mycsueb though, my registration day is June 7. Should I disregard what I see on mycsueb?

I'm a little confused. So registration for incoming PHAP students is August 1. On mycsueb though, my registration day is June 7. Should I disregard what I see on mycsueb?

I believe registration for most classes was on June 7th. The e-mail was saying that those following classes in the list were subject to priority registration, which ends Aug 1st.

Hi predentanon,

Where did you see the registration date on mycsueb?

Hi predentanon,

Where did you see the registration date on mycsueb?

Hi,

Go to MCSUEB, select the students tab, select my student center, which will bring up the your student center. On the right hand side there is a box entitled "enrollment dates."

Side comment: 5 days past the enrollment date, and practically all the classes are full or wait listed.

Hi,

Go to MCSUEB, select the students tab, select my student center, which will bring up the your student center. On the right hand side there is a box entitled "enrollment dates."

Side comment: 5 days past the enrollment date, and practically all the classes are full or wait listed.

Thank you so much!

It turned out that my mycsueb has some bug that won't show the student center tab on the upper left (at first, I thought they pushed off the registration date for new student)

The school is still solving the problem....... and you are right, most classes I want to take are full :(

Anyone know if they're still accepting students for the fall? I thought I would have at least heard by now regarding a decision since I applied in April.

Is anyone familiar with housing options near CSUEB? Any resources would be greatly appreciated. I have already looked into the school's housing like Pioneer Heights and University Village.

Also, is anyone looking for a roommate for Fall 2017-2018 cohort?