*Official CSU East Bay PHAP Postbac Program Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It will take some time (3 to 4 weeks) to hear back from them.
Thanks for the reply! I should be hearing any day now then! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply! Did they inform you by email or should I just keep checking my "To Do List"?

Thanks!
I checked daily so I saw it on my csueb account before I received the email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for the Academic Enhancer for the Fall 2015 cohort. How long does it take after applying to hear back if you were accepted or rejected?

Any insight on the timeline would be great!

Thank you.
Hi! I applied early/mid-April and got my acceptance email today :D

Just a question for people who just got accepted...have you guys signed up for classes yet? Or are you waiting for them to mail your packet?

If you guys have signed up...how do you do it? I'm kind of bad at computers (hohohoho) and was just looking around mycsueb but couldn't find a postbacc list of classes

I just got accepted today!! I applied May 23rd! I am beyond excited. I applied for AET, how long did you all have to wait to register? Also, did anyone have any luck or info on where to find roommates?

Thank you!

Hey guys, I emailed the office and they sent me a list of fall 2015 classes. PM me your email if you want the list too!

Hi guys! I applied for the AET track and haven't heard back yet. However, I recently graduated and my degree won't be posted on my final transcript until October. Is there anything I can do?

Hi guys! I applied for the AET track and haven't heard back yet. However, I recently graduated and my degree won't be posted on my final transcript until October. Is there anything I can do?

You could request a letter from the registrar of your university stating that you've graduated.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted today!! I applied May 23rd! I am beyond excited. I applied for AET, how long did you all have to wait to register? Also, did anyone have any luck or info on where to find roommates?

Thank you!

Hey, I got accepted into the program last month, I will be attending in the fall 2015 but I also have questions on where to find roommates and living situations as I am not from no where near this area. Please when you find out let me know, I've been doing a lot of research and trying to figure out the best cost and etc

Just joined SDN today! I was accepted to the program in January and had my academic advising appointment a few weeks ago. It was really helpful and I was able to get my classes for the most part worked out. I registered for classes last week. If you haven't contacted PHAP about setting up an advising appointment, I would say get on it as soon as possible. For instance, my advisor was only available Tuesdays from 10am-2pm. I live about 3.5 hours north of Hayward depending on traffic, so getting work off for that day, driving down, etc. required some planning ahead. Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Hey guys, I also just joined SDN today and am on the med-school journey! I got accepted to the program, AET, a few months ago and am popping in to say hi, look forward to meeting ya'll.

Hi I just joined so I can post on this thread, I was accepted a few months ago and will be doing the AET starting this fall. My friend and I will be doing the program together and we are also looking for housing. I live in Southern California and plan on going up in the next few weeks to see what it is like and look at housing. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys! So I was recently accepted and wanted to know how to go about financial aid and picking out classes. Does anyone know where the PHAP advising is located, so I can just go in person...it's driving me crazy because I feel like I won't get my classes and won't get everything figured out! Any help would be nice! Thanks!

Hi I just joined so I can post on this thread, I was accepted a few months ago and will be doing the AET starting this fall. My friend and I will be doing the program together and we are also looking for housing. I live in Southern California and plan on going up in the next few weeks to see what it is like and look at housing. If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it.

I'll be living in San Francisco and the commute will be pretty brutal, considering I'll have to be on campus 5 days a week the first quarter. I'm hoping to get my classes down to 3 days a week for the rest of the quarters thereafter but you gotta do what you gotta do... you probably already know the cost of living in the bay area is ridiculous, but the areas surrounding Hayward (Hayward Hills, Castro Valley, San Leandro, etc) are definitely more affordable than you will generally find in the city. Oakland is also a more affordable option, not to mention Oakland is in the east bay and a relatively easier commute. Plus, you wouldn't have tolls to deal with if you're driving. From what an administrative assistant told me at the PHAP office when I was on campus a few weeks ago, most PHAP students live in Hayward close to campus. It depends what you're looking for as far as your living situation is concerned, though. City vs more suburban? Will you have a car or will you take public transit and bike? etc.

Here's a map of the BART system, in case you haven't checked it out.

https://www.bart.gov/sites/all/themes/bart_desktop/img/system-map.gif

Hey guys!

I will be attending in the fall on the AET. I am registered For Biochemistry II (BIOL 4412) with Professor Kwan, Principles of Genetics (BIOL 3121) with Professor Kwan, Biomedical Parisitology (BIOL 3441) with Professor Molloy, and the Biology Seminar. Is anyone else taking these courses? Or has anyone taken them with these professors? If so, any advice?

Also, I am coming from out-of-state, so I am currently searching for housing. It would be awesome to have a roommate in this program! Please inbox me if you are a female that is also looking for a roommate. I would like to share an apartment/house, but have my own room. Move-in--early to mid-September. Message me for more details.

Hi guys! I will be starting AET this Fall. I am looking for a female student to rent a 2bd/1ba apartment with me in Hayward or Union City. My budget is 900 max.

Move in Date: September
Cleanliness: Clean
Overnight Guests:Occasionally
Party Habits: Rarely
I Get Up: 8am-10am
I Go To Bed: 12AM-1AM
Food Preference: Almost anything
Smoker: No

Msg me for more info about me. Thanks!

Hi guys! I will be starting AET this Fall. I am looking for a female student to rent a 2bd/1ba apartment with me in Hayward or Union City. My budget is 900 max.

Move in Date: September
Cleanliness: Clean
Overnight Guests:Occasionally
Party Habits: Rarely
I Get Up: 8am-10am
I Go To Bed: 12AM-1AM
Food Preference: Almost anything
Smoker: No

Msg me for more info about me. Thanks!

@9ja34 is looking

Hi Everyone, help me!
I just got accepted into the CSU east-bay winter 2016 cohort. My question is this:
I will be graduating UC Davis with my BS in psychology with a 3.2 GPA. Is it worth it to take out $30,000 in loans for this program or should i just take more classes at a JC, boost up my GPA, take the MCAT and apply to med. school? I am worried about taking out this much money and end up with a lot of loans and no acceptance to any med. school and the 30 grand hasnt even touched housing and other things. Anyone know the acceptance rate to MD or DO schools? And can anyone offer input?

Thank you.

Hmm, it looks like I'm definitely going to have to take out some loans, and possibly work part time.

I totally forgot about the rolling admissions part, but thanks for reminding me! I also applied for FAFSA and just got approved, so hopefully things will get going by the summer.

Thanks for your reply!

Hi!

How's the program working for you so far? would you recommend it? Am trying to decide if all the loans are worth it?

Hey guys,

Ill be attending the fall 2015 quarter for postbacc. Looking for a place to live, anyone looking for roommates/housemates?
I'm male btw.

Hi Everyone, help me!
I just got accepted into the CSU east-bay winter 2016 cohort. My question is this:
I will be graduating UC Davis with my BS in psychology with a 3.2 GPA. Is it worth it to take out $30,000 in loans for this program or should i just take more classes at a JC, boost up my GPA, take the MCAT and apply to med. school? I am worried about taking out this much money and end up with a lot of loans and no acceptance to any med. school and the 30 grand hasnt even touched housing and other things. Anyone know the acceptance rate to MD or DO schools? And can anyone offer input?

Thank you.

I actually graduated I think with around a 3.2 (I think) when I graduated from college and entered this program. I'll pass on what others advisors and admissions reps have told me.

Do not go to a JC if you have already graduated from a four year college. The reason being is that they expectation is there that the classes are easier for you since you have been to a four year (I dunno if I agree with that statement but whatever). So if you get all As its not looked at the same way as if you received all As from a post bac program from a 4 year university. It calls into question the rigor of the classes.

30 grand is a lot of money, however, there is a scholarship that can greatly help. I'm can't give you an actual acceptance rate but I can say that the class that came after me seems to be doing very well and entering med school this year. I'm a second year med student myself.

I actually graduated I think with around a 3.2 (I think) when I graduated from college and entered this program. I'll pass on what others advisors and admissions reps have told me.

Do not go to a JC if you have already graduated from a four year college. The reason being is that they expectation is there that the classes are easier for you since you have been to a four year (I dunno if I agree with that statement but whatever). So if you get all As its not looked at the same way as if you received all As from a post bac program from a 4 year university. It calls into question the rigor of the classes.

30 grand is a lot of money, however, there is a scholarship that can greatly help. I'm can't give you an actual acceptance rate but I can say that the class that came after me seems to be doing very well and entering med school this year. I'm a second year med student myself.

Thank you so much for your reply. I truly appreciate it. Now in regards to fees, someone said something about using FAFSA, do you know if that's an option cause when i looked up the fees, it said the program isnt FAFSA eligible. Any ideas for a scholarship?

Thank you so much for your reply. I truly appreciate it. Now in regards to fees, someone said something about using FAFSA, do you know if that's an option cause when i looked up the fees, it said the program isnt FAFSA eligible. Any ideas for a scholarship?

Unless its changed you can get aid for 12 calendar months. You would receive 12,500 for the year (you would need to come up with around 3,000 somehow else). They maximized the aid I got over the summer because that was the last time I would receive it and I got enough to cover the summer and fall.

The scholarship is a merit based scholarship. You need a 3.7 and twenty credit hours to get it. What you could do is if you're taking 3 classes a quarter you would be eligible usually after winter quarter. So you would apply winter quarter for spring quarter. It was around 2,500 a quarter....it may be less now.

there are outside scholarships but you need to poke around. I know a big one is the tylenol future care scholarship which I think post bac students would quality for which is 10K.....very very competitive though.

Hey guys!

I will be attending in the fall on the AET. I am registered For Biochemistry II (BIOL 4412) with Professor Kwan, Principles of Genetics (BIOL 3121) with Professor Kwan, Biomedical Parisitology (BIOL 3441) with Professor Molloy, and the Biology Seminar. Is anyone else taking these courses? Or has anyone taken them with these professors? If so, any advice?

Also, I am coming from out-of-state, so I am currently searching for housing. It would be awesome to have a roommate in this program! Please inbox me if you are a female that is also looking for a roommate. I would like to share an apartment/house, but have my own room. Move-in--early to mid-September. Message me for more details.

I just got accepted for the fall 2015 AET track too! How did you sign up for those classess? Did you have to talk to a counselor or how did you register for them?
Looking forward to meeting you all!

Just joined SDN today! I was accepted to the program in January and had my academic advising appointment a few weeks ago. It was really helpful and I was able to get my classes for the most part worked out. I registered for classes last week. If you haven't contacted PHAP about setting up an advising appointment, I would say get on it as soon as possible. For instance, my advisor was only available Tuesdays from 10am-2pm. I live about 3.5 hours north of Hayward depending on traffic, so getting work off for that day, driving down, etc. required some planning ahead. Looking forward to meeting all of you!
HI! How did you find out who your advisor was? Or better yet how did you make an academic advising appointment. I just was accepted today! Thanks for your response!

I just got accepted for the fall 2015 AET track too! How did you sign up for those classess? Did you have to talk to a counselor or how did you register for them?
Looking forward to meeting you all!
To register for classes what I did was: my.csueastbay.edu ---> login info ---> look at the top left corner and hit the tab that says student ---> look at the top left again and click where it says "student center" ---> look for "search for classes" ---> fill in all your desired search criteria, but in the bottom next to the search button, make sure you check the box that says "include self support courses", I think the sections that say "self support" under the class details are the only ones you can register for as they are reserved for students in this program, I think? ---> choose what classes you want, note the class numbers ---> go to the enroll tab at the very top and fill in that information. If there's a class that you really want to get into but it happens to be closed, give the advising office a call and make an appointment, and the office staff will see what they can do!

To register for classes what I did was: my.csueastbay.edu ---> login info ---> look at the top left corner and hit the tab that says student ---> look at the top left again and click where it says "student center" ---> look for "search for classes" ---> fill in all your desired search criteria, but in the bottom next to the search button, make sure you check the box that says "include self support courses", I think the sections that say "self support" under the class details are the only ones you can register for as they are reserved for students in this program, I think? ---> choose what classes you want, note the class numbers ---> go to the enroll tab at the very top and fill in that information. If there's a class that you really want to get into but it happens to be closed, give the advising office a call and make an appointment, and the office staff will see what they can do!
Thank you! This is great! :)

Unless its changed you can get aid for 12 calendar months. You would receive 12,500 for the year (you would need to come up with around 3,000 somehow else). They maximized the aid I got over the summer because that was the last time I would receive it and I got enough to cover the summer and fall.

The scholarship is a merit based scholarship. You need a 3.7 and twenty credit hours to get it. What you could do is if you're taking 3 classes a quarter you would be eligible usually after winter quarter. So you would apply winter quarter for spring quarter. It was around 2,500 a quarter....it may be less now.

there are outside scholarships but you need to poke around. I know a big one is the tylenol future care scholarship which I think post bac students would quality for which is 10K.....very very competitive though.
You have been incredibly helpful. one more questions i promise I'll stop after this: do you happen to have an estimate of how many people apply to this program for each session?

Hi All! I was accepted on Monday for the PHAP AET for Fall 2015. I just registered for classes, I'm currently registered for Principles in Genetics and Biology Seminar. I'm waitlisted for Biochemistry with Prof. Ancheta and Biomedical Parasitology with Prof. Molloy. Anyone else having issues with being waitlisted for some of your classes?

You have been incredibly helpful. one more questions i promise I'll stop after this: do you happen to have an estimate of how many people apply to this program for each session?

I'm not entirely sure. I know that more and more people seem to have been applying as the program progresses. I was in the second cohort.

Has anyone gotten in with less than a 2.8?
Currently have a 2.78 and I have one more UG 3 unit class to take before receiving my diploma, but I don't think an A in that would bump me to over a 2.8.
I applied for Spring 2016 so I don't have time to take classes at the CC either since classes for fall quarter already started and I didn't enroll.

Has anyone gotten in with less than a 2.8?
Currently have a 2.78 and I have one more UG 3 unit class to take before receiving my diploma, but I don't think an A in that would bump me to over a 2.8.
I applied for Spring 2016 so I don't have time to take classes at the CC either since classes for fall quarter already started and I didn't enroll.
Yes. I think you'll be ok if you have an upward trend. 2.78 is very close to the cutoff. I would suggest you email the admissions office and ask them directly.

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to the Winter 2016 Cohort! :) I'm looking for future house/apartment mates (females). I also joined the facebook group. Can't wait to start! Good luck to all those starting Fall!

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to the Winter 2016 Cohort! :) I'm looking for future house/apartment mates (females). I also joined the facebook group. Can't wait to start! Good luck to all those starting Fall!
Congratulations! I was also accepted into the same cohort and i've been trying to find a place to live. I am interested, have you found a house/apartment yet? please let me know, i also recently posted on the facebook page!

Hi Everyone, i will be starting this winter and i am looking for a place to live (female). If you are looking for a housemate, let me know or if you would like to look for a place together, we can coordinate it. Thank you

Hello! I am eager to learn more about the advising for the program. How easy is it to converse with your advisor and how helpful are they with not only selecting classes but also helping plan for your next academic step?

Also, the website says there are "entrance test prep opportunities," but what does that exactly mean? A discount on a Kaplan class?

And finally, is there a possibility of getting a committee letter to be used as one of the letters of rec for med school?

I live nearby so I'm really hoping this program has everything I need to prepare me for med school.

Hello! I am eager to learn more about the advising for the program. How easy is it to converse with your advisor and how helpful are they with not only selecting classes but also helping plan for your next academic step?

Also, the website says there are "entrance test prep opportunities," but what does that exactly mean? A discount on a Kaplan class?

And finally, is there a possibility of getting a committee letter to be used as one of the letters of rec for med school?

I live nearby so I'm really hoping this program has everything I need to prepare me for med school.

When i was in the program, the advisors were very open about not only talking about what classes to take but what to do for your next step. My advisor was one of my personal statement readers when I was starting to write it.

After I took the MCAT, they started to offer a Kaplan class for the price of a unit which means you got a 2000 dollar class for 400 bucks. They picked up the rest of the cost.

Yes, they have a committee you meet with for a committee letter. I got one when I was applying.

It is quite easy to contact with advisers and talk to them. I would recommend Dr. Ancheta b/c he is very knowledgeable about the admission processes for med schools. The entrance test prep opportunities is a discount on Kaplan courses (approx $1100 off the regular price). There is a possibility of getting a committee letter for the program. You have to sign up for an interview with the committee first.

Does anyone have recommendations for clinical experience opportunities to apply for? I'm looking to volunteer in a hospital or clinic, but I won't be able to start until January (I'm still in SoCal). Also, are there any programs and/or orgs that have a shadowing D.O.'s component?

Was just accepted to the Winter 16 cohort. Is there anyone currently in the program or anyone who has done the program who would be willing to answer some questions for me?

Thanks!

I'm a previous student and I'm a current medical student. I was a career changer. The students from what I've seen have been actually pretty successful. The ones that seemed to be the most successful was the AET track students. I felt that the classes were similar to undergrad but better in that they were small in terms of class size. Every professor was approachable that I had and seemed to care about the students. I felt like the workload was very doable. I had a long commute and worked part time.

Hi!

I applied to AE Fall 2016 and sent my transcripts about a month ago. My institutions all say they were sent but PHAP and the admissions office at CSUEB say they haven't received anything. Stressing out! Anyone have issues with transcripts before?

Maybe there is a delay time between sending and receiving transcripts?

Also, I'm a UCLA graduate from 2012 with a 3.4 GPA molecular bio, does anyone know if I'll have trouble getting in? I hear its getting competitive. Thanks!

Hey all,
I'm interested in applying to the AE track. What I lack most as a med school applicant is direction. I've been blindly taking the premed prerequisites but I need a lot more help in terms of advising. Do you get a lot of opportunity for relevant clinical experience/research/ community service here? Do the advisors keep you on track? Do they help you figure out the best timeline for you to begin applying for med school? Are the professors approachable enough to easily obtain recommendation letters? Initially, I planned on taking upper div science classes at community college for the sake of acquiring letters of recommendation because it's difficult for me to do that at my home institution (Berkeley). The greatest appeal from this program to me are the small class sizes and that it is a structured program intended to help you get into grad school, so I'd hope that the faculty is a lot more supportive than what I'd get at a community college or UC.

I got accepted for the Winter 2016 term but couldn't attend due to financial constraints, so I re-applied for the Fall 2016 term. Anyone know if getting in once will help my application? Nervous they'll deny me the 2nd time around and I may have lost out on a great opportunity :(

Are there any current seniors here applying for Fall 2016?

I'm a previous student and I'm a current medical student. I was a career changer. The students from what I've seen have been actually pretty successful. The ones that seemed to be the most successful was the AET track students. I felt that the classes were similar to undergrad but better in that they were small in terms of class size. Every professor was approachable that I had and seemed to care about the students. I felt like the workload was very doable. I had a long commute and worked part time.
Hi! May I ask what you think the program looks for most in students applying, given that LORs and PS aren't required? Thank you!

I got accepted for the Winter 2016 term but couldn't attend due to financial constraints, so I re-applied for the Fall 2016 term. Anyone know if getting in once will help my application? Nervous they'll deny me the 2nd time around and I may have lost out on a great opportunity :(
May I ask what your stats are?