***Official: Can you answer these questions about your dental school?***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone from Georgia Regents University (GRU).... Please?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

1) Name of Your Dental School

UIC - college of dentistry

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

Eh, we usually have several every week, but they seem to concentrate within a 2/3 week period. We'll have a few weeks that are pretty light, then get pounded for a few weeks. It fluctuates.

3) What is the hardest class? Why?

Right now biochem, because I decided to wait till 7pm the night before to study for the last test and now Ive got a little catching up to get the grade I want. Other than that I guess Head/Neck anatomy. I personally didnt think the class was too bad, but most of my friends/classmates didnt enjoy it so much. I wasnt a fan of microbio/immunology... unclear teachers + lots of useless memorization that I will never remember = :thumbdown:

4) What is the easiest class? Why?

The comprehensive care preclinical stuff is pretty easy, but kinda fun too. Physiology was pretty straightforward first semester, little harder second semester. Histology is also pretty straightforward with good teachers. Radiology is also pretty easy and the teacher is awesome.

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

There are some closet gunners out there, but I wouldnt go as far as to say people that are sabotoging anything. We did have some students who voted against changing a test because they wanted to skip school and party that day lol, but thats about it. Most are helpful, but there are definitely people who will get on your nerves sometimes.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

Almost exclusively powerpoints. Its good in that what you need to know is a little more concise, but then again, I feel you learn more from reading a text book. For some classes either work, and some classes require a reading or two, but its mostly powerpoints.
7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones?

Nope. We have some med school teachers that come teach us but all of our classes are exclusively us (occasionally we have a few stragglers taking some of our classes somehow, not really sure how it works). We share a cadaver lab with the med students in the med school, so we do interact a bit, but we have our own room with our own cadavers and instructors.

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

A-B-C-D... typically 90-80-70-60... Biochem 80% is an A (thank god). Microbio was actully curved to 85%=A. Almost all the tests are designed so that the normal distribution will take place. Its never curved so that only a certain percentage of people get an A or a B... you get what you get. A couple portions of the comprehensive care course are Pass/Fail, but it gets put under comp care which is a letter grade.

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

First semester some of the students split up transcribing the entire lectures. I found that useless... right now we have a classmate that records all the lectures and hosts them on a website for everyone to see. Our class is very helpful about sending out what they have in terms of notes they taken or study guides they make to the entire class.

10) Is class attendance mandatory?

In some of the classes yes, usually the comp care courses, but you dont really want to miss those anyway. You did come here to learn how to be a dentist right? The basic sciences not really, if you can show up to a test without going to a class and ace it then more power to you. Although I always felt it beneficial to attend if you can.

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

Sometimes in class they get a little ornery if you ask during the lecture... But outside of class they are always willing to help.

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?

Ya we get paired with a D2... to be honest I didnt even see mine until second semester, but its always good to have someone to talk to or get books/materials from.

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score?

No idea... I think we have a pretty solid pass rate. Score wise not a clue.

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year?

Part I is taken the summer after D1 year.

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

We get 2 weeks off to study for boards after the summer semester after D1 year. During those 2 weeks your free to study but before and after that you have classes.

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

Usually a group of 5 or so random people will go to the library... some head to Rush's library a block down because it's nicer and is open 24 hrs. Lots of people clear out after class and study at home.

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

Not sure on this one, only a D1. I know there are no clinical requierments in terms of numbers per say... I think you take an assesment test when you feel ready. In general we dont have a problem finding patients, we are the only dental school in a big city. Im sure they see lots of interesting cases in the clinics. Again, better to ask a D3/D4.

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

Again not sure... I dont think its a big issue though, I havent heard anybody complain about that.

19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

Like I said, no numbers per say. When you feel ready you take an assesment test, and if you pass it for that procedure I think you are good. Not sure on the details of it though.

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?

It's mandatory and increasing in duration. During your D4 year you spend 6-9 weeks at an offsite clinic seeing usually 6+ patients a day as compared to the 2 you would see in the dental school. Again not sure on all the details, but that's when i know about it.

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?

Well the school is located in an underserved area so we have plenty serving to do here. But there are programs I'm sure to go to other areas and countries.

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

No idea. From what ive heard from some of our recently graduated assistant clinical instructors, the people who teach you have a lot of connections and can refer you to other doctors looking to hire graduating dentists. Again, not really sure on this yet.

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?

Scrubs or business casual for all years. 95% of the students wear scrubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Name of Your Dental School: TEMPLE DENTAL

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
- Midterms,Finals, might be changing though(similar to med school model maybe next year? not sure it might be speculation)
- Pathology:2nd year, alot of info
- behavior science
5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
- everyone helps each other out
6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
- ppt ( some classes you need to read a bit of text, but its not common)
- No, we do take Gross Anatomy at the med school, but not with med students.
- A,B,C ( no +/-)
- maybe not sure. we do have a program: CLASS CAPTURE, records the lectures so you can watch later on from home. Shows the instructor as well as the ppt, its very valuable.
- this has recently become mandatory for most classes(i dont think they are very strict YET)
11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
- yes some are great, others are OK( just like every other school)
12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you?
- Yes, as a D1, you will be paired up with a D2,D3, and a D4.
- No idea. its Pass/Fail now.
- 2nd year
15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?
You might get a week or 2 off, you usually schedule that time off of clinic to study, they dont give you a set time off to study it. But its not an issue to schedule off from clinic to take it( they understand).
16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?
many ppl study at the med school library(which is about 2-3 blocks from the dental school). some do study at the dental school study area.
17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?
- plenty of patients are available.
18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?
- Temple has a new cluster system, split up into 4 clusters. Each cluster is run like a dental office. The D3 and D4s share each chair, so D3's may have Tues,thur, and Fri afternoons, the D4s: have the other days. You can still book patients on the other classes chair( if I am a D3, and want to book for monday, I can, there are rules for that, generally has to be within a few days of the appointment to make sure there isnt already a patient booked). Its a great system so far.
19) What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?
- This changes a bit, but its attainable.
20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they?
- yes
21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long?
- Yes, Jamaica, Haiti,etc( about a week or a bit more).
22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?
We do have practice management classes. The school offers networking programs and an opportunity to see other offices and other things of that nature.
Ceil Blue scrubs are required everyday(from D1-D4). its the same color for all the years.

East Carolina University

Block schedule, Wed exams, usually with PMs off the day before. You typically have multiple subjects. The first year there would typically be 2 days of basic medical sciences and the rest dental didactic or experiential. Passing is 70% of the highest score any student got on that exam. No students have failed out but one had to repeat first year.

Hard to say, it depends on how you learn.

See above

Few gunners and little incentive to be one. Mostly everyone works together.

Primarily on the PowerPoints, but professors also make a 'manual' to go with each lecture. Books are in a common e-library.

No

Pass-Fail but you can request your class standing, etc., if you need it to apply for residencies.

Yes, but the lectures are also recorded.

In theory, yes.

Yes, mostly.

You have a 'big' but not a faculty advisor.

Only one class so far, and don;t have the exact numbers on hand. In general, pass rate was about 90%, scores were at the national average. Students who failed were those failed a lot in first year.

Second year

There's a block of time and university-paid Kaplan exams. Also, all questions throughout the curriculum are coded and go into a data base and they tell you exactly which areas you're weakest in.

People study on their own a lot but some study in groups. There are usually plenty of 'break out' rooms available in the SoDM. The medical campus library is two buildings over.

The school's a start up so the first class had some problems. Now, however, the main clinic is in full operation as are three branch clinics, hospital, etc. There will be 7-9 branch clinics throughout the state, known as Community Service Learning Centers (CSLCs).

No problem with chairs. Facilities are state-of-the-art. Everything is scheduled, including chairs.

Yes

Yes, the CSLCs are all in underserved areas of the state. There are also outreach trips about monthly.

Scrubs are OK by the second term of the first year.

LECOM?
Tufts , or Uconn or Buffalo or NYU update?

Posted using SDN Mobile

anyone have a review for MWU-IL, I know there are plenty of MWU-AZ reviews but a Downers Grove review would be great. If you dont want to post on the public forum, send me a private msg if possible.

1) Name of Your Dental School: NYU College of Dentistry

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? D1--random, comprehensive subject exams (multiple subjects one after another to simulate the board exam); D2: usually around 1 exam/week

3) What is the hardest class? Why? Systems Pathology. Year long course. Fail it, you fail the year.

4) What is the easiest class? Why? Any of the non science courses.

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? Gunners-yup; sabotage-happens, but not very often.
for the most part, people help each other out.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? lecture notes.

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? If so, which ones? nope. 100% dental school.

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? Letter grades with a +/- system

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available? yes, we have transcript services set up through each class' student council

10) Is class attendance mandatory?only for like 2% of classes. podcasts are a way of life here.

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? Usually professors are approachable.

yup. every 3-4 incoming D1 students is paired with a mentor.

100% for the past 3 years i believe

before year 3. summer of d2 before clinic starts full time.

a couple of weeks

people study all over the place, really.

the patient # is absurd. i've seen upperclassmen overwhelmed by the abundance of patients.

the school is huge. chairs are not a problem

from what i've heard, it's very doable to graduate on time. haven't started clinic yet so i can't elaborate

not that i know of.

international outreach trips are a little tough to get from what i've been told. local outreaches are very, very frequent.

absolutely. when i came into the school i was told by upperclassmen that we have top notch management consults teach us for a semester or 2.

for lecture--pretty much anything within reason, really. it's like college in that regard. But in clinic, or bench/sim lab---scrubs/business attire WITH a buttoned up white coat. different class years have different colored name tags to go on these coats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Finally NYU,

How about STONY BROOK and BUFFALO..

Reactions: 1 user
Could we get one for UT at Memphis please?

NOTE: this is NOT a discussion thread, this thread is aimed to be a reference thread. If you have questions for a particular poster, then please direct your question directly to that person via PM or start another thread of your own.

PLEASE refrain from discussions, questions, and comments in this thread. Thank you!

However, please feel free to comment on any opinions you may have within the context of the standard format below. Please elaborate and be specific as much as possible. This thread will only be as good as those who are willing to contribute to it.

If your school does not have a hyperlink below, you are needed to answer the following questions!

Standard Format:

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!

Here is the index of this forum:

Dental Schools in the United States:

AL: University of Alabama School of Dentistry at UAB
AZ: A.T. Still University of Health Sciences Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
AZ: Midwestern University School of Dental Medicine
CA: Loma Linda University School of Dentistry
CA: University of California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry
CA: University of Southern California School of Dentistry
CA: University of California at San Francisco School of Dentistry (Post #1)
CA: University of California at San Francisco School of Dentistry (Post #2)
CA: University of California at San Francisco School of Dentistry (Post #3)
CA: University of California at San Francisco School of Dentistry (Post #4)
CA: University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (Post #1)
CA: University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (Post #2)
CO: University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center
CT: University of Connecticut School of Dental Medicine
DC: Howard University College of Dentistry (Post #1)
DC: Howard University College of Dentistry (Post #2)
FL: Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
FL: University of Florida College of Dentistry (Post #1)
FL: University of Florida College of Dentistry (Post #2)
FL: University of Florida College of Dentistry (Post #3)
GA: Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry
IA: University of Iowa College of Dentistry
IL: Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine
IL: University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry (Post #1)
IL: Univeristy of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry (Post #2)
IN: Indiana University School of Dentistry
KY: University of Kentucky College of Dentistry
KY: University of Louisville School of Dentistry (Post #1)
KY: University of Louisville School of Dentistry (Post #2)
LA: Louisiana State University School of Dentistry
MA: Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine
MA: Harvard University School of Dental Medicine
MA: Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
MA: Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (Post #2)
MD: University of Maryland Baltimore College of Dental Surgery (Post #1)
MD: University of Maryland Baltimore College of Dental Surgery (Post #2)
MI: University of Michigan School of Dentistry
MI: University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry
MN: University of Minnesota School of Dentistry
MO: University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry
MS: University of Mississippi School of Dentistry
NC: University of North Carolina School of Dentistry
NE: University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry
NE: Creighton University School of Dentistry
NJ: University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey New Jersey Dental School
NV: University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine
NY: State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
NY: Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (Post #1)
NY: Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (Post #2)
NY: New York University College of Dentistry (Post #1)
NY: New York University College of Dentistry (Post #2)
NY: State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine (Post #1)
NY: State University of New York at Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine (Post #2)
OH: Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
OH: Ohio State University College of Dentistry (Post #1)
OH: Ohio State University College of Dentistry (Post #2)
OK: University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry
OR: Oregon Health and Science University School of Dentistry
PA: Temple University School of Dentistry
PA: University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
PA: University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
PR: University of Puerto Rico School of Dentistry
SC: Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine
TN: University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
TN: Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
TX: Baylor College of Dentistry Component of Texas A & M Health Science Center
TX: University of Texas Hlth Science Cnt-Houston Dental Branch
TX: University of Texas Hlth Science Cnt-San Antonio Dental School
VA: Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry
WA: University of Washington-Health Sciences School of Dentistry
WI: Marquette University School of Dentistry (Post #1)
WI: Marquette University School of Dentistry (Post #2)
WV: West Virginia University School of Dentistry

Dental Schools in Canada:

Dalhousie University
Laval University
McGill University
University of Alberta
University of British Columbia
University of Manitoba
University of Montreal
University of Saskatchewan
University of Toronto
University of Western Ontario

International Dental Schools:

University of the West Indies School of Dentistry, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
The Faculty of Dentistry at the University of Sydney, Australia
Griffith University School of Dentistry and Oral Health, Gold Coast, Australia
University of the Western Cape Dental School, South Africa
Suez Canal University, Egypt

Index updated through post #232

Just an FYI, you are missing a school. Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health

Sorry I am new to Student Doctor Network, I will make my own three and try again. I just saw the note above

Can anyone from Midwestern University in Arizona post something about the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Standard Format:

1) Name of Your Dental School:
-Western University College of Dental Medicine (Pomona, CA)

-Block Schedule. Very manageable.

-Some say gross anatomy, some say "IDIT" which is a combination of immuno, path, pharm, micro. The courses are dense, requiring a lot of studying and detailed information. Some struggly, but I think it was all fair.

-ECD Essentials of Clinical Dentistry - the course dedicated to everything "dental" so it's engaging and includes simulation clinic

-Every class is different. Our class was the lazy, chill, independent class. Below us, all gunners that are possed up. But I actually get a lot of interaction with all the classes and enjoy our school dynamic.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? Our textbooks are online, and most people don't use them. Powerpoints is the main study material, with information supplemented from the text.

-Yes. Primarily in the first year, the course science class (gross anatomy, molecular bio, IDIT) and then strictly dental after first year with few exceptions.

-Percentage, Letter Grade and Class rank is always available.

-All lectures are recorded. Not sure about a notetaking service...

-Yes, but in some classes (like those shared with medical students), there is no attendance. I was able to study at home most of the time the first year of school.

-Our faculty is very approachable. Of course, sometimes it is intimidating, but by 4th year, you'll be hanging out with them like you're friends, talking about dentistry.

-Yes. For clinic, at least. They have changed the program to be strictly in clinic now.

-Usually 100%. The school has a mock-board exam that you take to make sure you're prepared. It forces you to study, so I think it's a good thing.

-2nd year

-Not always. But I never felt overwhelmed with "not enough time to study". If I did, it was because I didn't study on the weekend and partied instead...

-A mix of both.

-We have TOO many patients! It's a great problem to have though :)

-Plenty of chairs. Sometimes I give mine away so I can get downtime to work on my cases/lab work

-No min. requirement. Must pass Clinical Exam graded in the clinic on a live patient per procedure.

-Yes. We have a 7-week rotation during senior year to an off-site clinic (we pick our top three). Also, during 1st-3rd years you get a lot of hands-on experience at off-site clinics.

-Yearly trip to Africa, paid at your own expense.

-We take a practice management course, but it's not well-developed yet. There aren't any placement programs implemented (yet)

-Business Casual (flexible) all years. Ties for men when in sim clinic and actual clinic.

Please feel free to add any other potentially helpful information about your dental school below! Multiple posts about each school are definitely appreciated if there is something new you feel is worth adding!

I am sure there is an answer to this question somewhere, however I can't find it.

Is it possible to transfer from one dental school, to another, in another state? What does it usually depend on?

Thank you

Standard Format:

Dalhousie University

Not a block schedule, so the first 2 months of every semester is relaxed because its just courses from 8am-5pm but then the last 3 months is just hell on earth with atleast 2 exams a week until finals. (its do able, just take it 1 day at a time)

Anatomy-Neuro Anatomy (because there is so much information in such a small amount of time, but like i said, do able.)

Therapeutics. Laid back, all great information that is actually fun to learn cause you apply in your every day life.

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? we have a handful of gunners but all the classes so far from 4th to 1st years have all been really kind people. In a small class of 38 students everyone is really helpful. in my class we only have 2 gunners but they don't sabatoge. Everyone is so helpful with each other, we don't just share notes within our class, but upper years are more than willing to share their notes to the lower years without hesitation.

everything on the exam is based on the professors lectures. but as for notes, it depends on the person, if you ask gunners for their notes, they have notes all the way from textbooks dating back to 2007. but they usually have really great extra info in their notes.

no.

Letter Grade.

No, but we just get notes from either upperclassmen or friends.

Some courses yes, its mostly likely frowned upon if you don't go to class....i still don't go.

The teachers are super genuine and want everyone to pass. They won't just pass you if you are failing though, but they will keep an eye on you and schedule office hours if need be just for you with any questions or extra help you may need to pass the course.

Yes.

Personally don't know but with a class of only 38 students in each year, word goes around quick and I havn't heard of any fail the American or Canadian boards exams.

summer 1st year

Yeah, usually just the summer. we don't have study programs with classes but Dalhousie really prepares you well. While studying for the boards and taking practice exams, I recognize alot of the questions from past exams on my courses at Dal. So i think Dal really prepares their students.

Everywhere, Library, Coffeeshops, homes.

Dalhousie has a tremendous amount of patients. Clinicals for patients start on their 2nd year of dental school!

Nope. there is never a problem with fighting over a chair. everyone has their own cubical they are assigned too for the whole year. Dalhousie definitely has enough chairs for patients and their dogs.

their is a number of requirements for graduation, I couldn't tell you the specifics. but no, clinical requirements is the least complaint I've heard at this school.

Yes, they have a group of students that go up north to newfoundland during summers for more clinical experience, as well as do rotations at the Hospital for OrthoMaxofacio. and anesthesia.

yes there are, Dal has connections to places all over the world. they average around 2 weeks.

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunities does your school offer?
I agree so. I hear on 4th year there is management courses provided. Dal has a couple residency programs such as Oralmaxofacial and pediatrics.
you can wear normal clothes atire anyday there are lectures at the lecture halls but any clinicals we do has to be in scrubs.

Midwestern University CDM - AZ

Mix of both. Some classes have midterms/finals, but your main classes such as basic sciences (1st year) and oral health sciences have weekly exams.

I would say our neuro unit during first year has a rough reputation, and possibly head/neck anatomy. However, SIM lab practicals probably cause the most stress.

We have a revamped clinical cases course for second year students, so now it is really focused on learning about common clinical scenarios while also getting input from the faculty on their own personal experiences.

I'd say it depends on each class, but from my own experience everyone helps each other out and it's not just limited to your own class. Fourth year students are just as happy to help and teach first year students.

Mostly powerpoint.

First year students take an interprofessional healthcare course with pretty much all of the healthcare students on campus (DO, Opto, Pharm, etc). We take our science courses and pharmacology with optometry students.

Mostly letter, some classes are P/F though.

I don't think there is one, but many lectures are recorded. Powerpoint PDFs are often printed out for us as well.

For all the dental classes, it pretty much is though they do give you a certain amount of hours you can miss based on how many hours of lecture there are.

Absolutely, and it's probably one of the best things about this school. There is an really an open door policy, which includes our dean. I've talked to pretty much all of the preclinical faculty so far, even if I've never had them as a bench instructor or lecturer before. Many of them also come early to school and stay after hours just to help out. The faculty across the street in the clinics are just as nice, as well as other non-dental professors we have had.

As a D1 you are paired with a D2, and same thing when you go to the clinics - there is a D3/D4 pair who work/assist one another. Like I said before though, if you ask anyone for help regardless of what class they're in, there's a pretty good chance they'll do whatever they can.

We have a class of about 140, and I want to say for part 1 boards more than 95% passed. I think the school has a near perfect if not 100% pass rate for part 2/clinical boards.

Continuing from the above question, you take it after 1st year. The school provides you with a lot of study material, and even set aside lecture hours for boards practice. If you do fail, the faculty provide 1 on 1 help and tailor the studying to what you need. I don't think anybody has failed the second time ever.

Summer after first year.

Mix of both.

We have a ton of patients, mostly geriatric.

I don't believe there are any problems.

I'm sure there are set numbers, but to be honest most students blow past them easily. I talked to two D3 students and they said they were finished basically everything in half a year.

I believe 4th year students have scheduled rotations but I am not entirely sure of all the info. Our school does not have specialty programs, so you get to take on all the cases with our specialists. The school is also big on technology, including CAD/CAM, so you get a lot of experience in that. You also become laser certified during D2 year.

There are a number health clinics (with dental, medical, pharmacy, etc) that you can volunteer at with our faculty, quite a few big community outreach events the school holds or takes part in, and a number of D3/D4 students with faculty travel to underserved countries to provide free dental care as well. D2 students also have a class just for community service, which includes a number of visits to elementary/middle schools to teach oral health.

I believe so, we have specific classes for practice management and the faculty take part in a lot of informal group discussions to give their own experiences. I'm not sure if there are career placement opportunities, though I do know some graduates work part-time at the school. A good number of students also do military, and I think Midwestern has a pretty good success rate of getting their students into specialty programs. The faculty also helps with networking with local dentists.

All classes were scrubs. Business attire is also okay I believe.

Faculty of Oral & Dental Medicine, Misr University for Science and Technology (MUST), Egypt.

Block Schedule.

I'm still in my first year, and so far general chemistry and organic chemistry, because we have chemistry-heavy curriculums and terrible professors. Upperclassmen might say anatomy, physio, path, oral path, etc.

Bio-statistics, because our professor is a very sympathetic lady, and the course is 1 credit hour with a simple 70 page book/workbook.

No, generally everybody tries to help everybody out if they can.

Mostly textbooks, rarely ever powerpoints.

No, but there are many courses given by medical faculty, such as histo, anatomy, physio, etc.

Percentages and letter grades with GPA, just like college.

No, but individual students can write their own notes and sell them in bookstores for other students to study from.

No lecture attendance in most courses, but practical attendance is mandatory.

Well, let's just say they're reachable but don't really care. There are some TAs though who do care. In clinical courses however, it can be a disaster till you get a TA to look over your work.

No, but upperclassmen are friendly and even seek underclassmen to help them and tutor them, it's like a tradition.

The national association for dental licensure here in Egypt gives license to any dentist who completes 1 year of internship at an approved hospital after graduation from the 5 year dental program.

We don't take the NBDE, but get our national license to practice dentistry after the internship year (6th year).

It's like college. Quizzes and practical exams are taken simultaneously with classes, but mid-terms and finals have their own blocks of time.

Some study in the library, some on the grass, some in cafeterias, and some at home. No particular distribution here, and the place never clears out because it's a university, there are always students until late evening.

It's a national problem in every dental school here. Patients are hard to find and maintain. We literally have patient middlemen/brokers who scout patients for you and get a commission. The reason behind this is 2 things: patient attitude, and abundance of dental students. But, because our university includes a hospital with dental clinics, we get more patients than some other private universities here.

Chairs are not abundant like in most US dental schools, but you you can find a chair if you arrive early. It's not the biggest problem.

Don't know the numbers, but as I hear it can be difficult to attain the requirements for certain courses.

Don't know.

Have heard of those, but not arranged by the school itself, trips could be a day or a few days.

There is not great preparation for practice management, but sufficient. Haven't heard of any career placements by the school.

Casual pretty much until you reach the clinical 4th and 5th years (3rd and 4th years in USA), you'd have to wear scrubs then.

D3 @ Creighton

Tests every week

Hardest class D1 = histology, a lot of info and details also Dental anatomy and head and neck anatomy are intense but you learn a ton.
Hardest class D2 = oral pathology / general pathology - a ton of details and so much to know. Teacher over teaches minutia too.

For me personally the dental classes weren't too bad and straight forward. There are also a a bunch of filler courses (behavioral sciences, nutrition)

ELE - everybody loves everybody for the most part. Everyone helps out, class google drive with notes and helpful files. There will always be gunners but the majority of people are very helpful.

Handouts and powerpoints. Most teachers print handouts and bring to class but you can bring your laptop or ipad and take notes on that if you prefer. Know the handouts = pass the tests.

Letter Grades based on percentages

no - lectures are recorded on a crappy website and you can rewatch them but some older faculty don't use it and class attendance is usually highly recommended.

yes - why else would you pay to go to dental school if you didn't have to attend school? A lot of classes have labs. You can skip the occasional class here and there, or if there is a big test in a class right after. some teachers are strict others don't care.

Teachers are all very approachable and for the most part very helpful.

Yes Junior paired with Freshman then you are their mentor until you graduate then sophmores take over the seniors patient family in clinic when they graduate. The mentor also schedules a few things in clinic for the youngin such as cleanings and their first class 1.

98%+ pass rate but we don't know scores anymore. They send results and say PASS if you pass.

Summer b/w D2 and D3 year summer before August 1st.

All summer b/w 2nd and 3rd year but you are in clinic from May- mid July. Plenty of time to study though. Also they have reviews in the summer.

Depends on the person. We are building a brand new dental school which we will move into next summer, which will be AWESOME! (Summer 2018). I spend most time studying in library or at home in my office.

Plenty of patients not much work to them in. We see 50,000 appointments each year at the school so there is plenty of love to go around. I have been busy since I stepped foot in clinic. Creighton is known for its outstanding clinic experience and I AGREE 100% with the notion that you will receive one of the best clinical educations in the nation from Creighton. No specialty programs so all complicated cases go to us. Also our faculty are mostly specialists but teach us general dent students how a specialist would handle the case. You will be a well rounded clinician by the time you are done as a D3 then D4 year you can hone your skills on anything and everything that interests you. Implants, Molar endo, 3rd molar extractions ect. My first endo case was on #14 (1st molar) and some schools don't even teacher molar endo at all. Invaluable experience.

Some departments are easier than others but with the new school next summer everything should be super easy to get scheduled. Perio is always difficult to schedule but everything else is easy if you plan ahead a bit.

They are reasonable because you are always busy with patients, you will be so busy seeing patients that you will get all the requirements done if you are in clinic every day and working hard. You get out what you put in.

You can do externships but really don't need to unless you seek them out. Clinic is busy enough that you will see everything you need and more to be successful.

Yes many opportunities for federal health clinics and indian reservations and a trip to the dominican republic between D3 and D4 year for a month or so.

Typical dental school in that you will be underprepared for the business aspect unless you self teach during D3 and D4. (Dental town, podcasts, talk to teachers, etc.) youwill know the clinical side well but business side there is not enough time to teach it. I think we get 2 or 3 business classes D4 year.

Business Casual - Dress up with slacks/khakis and button up and tie every day. Can do short sleeve button ups and ties when its hot. For women it is business casual. Not as bad as it sounds, you get used to it really quick. In clinic you wear white lab coats over it.

Can someone possibly post information about UCLA, Case Western, Iowa? Thank you!

1) Name of Your Dental School - University of North Carolina

2) What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week? - Depends on your year in school. First two years, multiple tests most weeks, finals week at the end of each semester, three semesters a year.

3) What is the hardest class? Why? - This will be a fuction of each student. For some students, the science classes i.e. micro is the hardest class. For some who do well in the sciences, but need more practice with their hands, fixed pros may be their hardest class. Also, having 93 be the cutoff for an A in all your dental classes tends to make those classes harder.

4) What is the easiest class? Why? - There are multiple 1 credit filler classes throughout dental school that aren't too tough.

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? - This will be a function of who is accepted into your class and how well your class works together. For my class, everyone helps out everyone. I have never heard of anyone in any class trying to sabotage anyone. That would be unethical.

6) Are the class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors? - 95% powerpoint with the exception of the occassional curveball test where most of the questions come from the book. Hard to see those coming.

7) Are there any classes taken with medical students? - No

8) What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages? - Letter grades, A, B, C, D, no + or -. Some P/F classes

9) Is there a notetaking service for lecture available? - I don't think so

10) Is class attendance mandatory? - For many classes, yes although there are som that people skip where attendance isn't taken. Some classes pass around attendance and your grade gets reduced if you aren't in class.

11) In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)? Very approachable. Mostly available.

12) Is there a big brother/big sister program that pairs you with an upperclassman or professor who "mentors" you? There is a mentor program where a big bro/big sis passes info down to you, etc. How much you talk w/ them is up to you and how your relationship is.

13) What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score? - No idea. The better you want to do, the more you should study. Also, I think that doing well in your classes that cover subject material for the boards is key to doing well.

14) When do you take the NDBE? 1st year or second year? - Used to be after first year. I think it is now back to sometime after Christmas second year.

15) Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes? - They gave us one week off in July to study. Otherwise, you are studying during classes.

16) Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own? - I think everyone does what they want. Some study in the library, some study at home, etc.

17) Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? - You don't have to find pts on your own except for an ortho pt. Sometimes it is some work to get pts in. The way clinic works is going to be revamped and instituted next fall.

18) Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs? - Can be a hassle. Clinic will be revamped so that 6 treatment sessions a week, you as a 4th year will have a guaranteed chair. Otherwise, most clinics are scheduled several weeks out.

485 operative points - 1 surface of grade A = 4 pts, B = 3 pts, etc.

16 units of fixed - at least 10 must be natural tooth prepped and at least one bridge

10 units of removable - 4 fulls, 3 partials, 3 either/or

40 extractions

6 pedo pt credits - not really sure how they calculate the credits beyond having a pedo pt

5 endo - 3 anterior/premolar and 2 molar

ortho - 1 pre-doc tooth movement case

Implants - no requirement though most restore them, some get to place one or two

Perio - 10 SC/RP appts, 5 PITE's, 5 assists in perio surgery

20) Are there opportunities for different off-site dental clinic rotations? If so, what are they? - Required between third and fourth year. 5 weeks at a community based dental rotation and 5 weeks at a hospital based rotation. Opprotunities to go other places summer 1 and summer 2 but those are optional.

21) Are there opportunites for outreach trips to underserved areas or countries? If so, what are they and for how long? - can be done in conjuction with required rotations. Also, a group goes to mexico every summer for 4 weeks, honduras and malawi for similar amounts of time.

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer? - we have one class third year and a few optional classes 4th year. As far as career placement, there is a book that has job listings available. Not much official other than that. Plenty of opprotunities to network yourself and find a job though through community contacts throughout the state.

23) What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years? - Scrubs or nice professional i.e. khakis and pol shirt and equivalent for girls. During classes, can wear shorts and or jeans, just not in clinic.

It seems like very little has changed since 2006... We're even still in the process of revamping how the clinic works next fall!

There are some notable differences though.

#3. it's now a 10 point scale for grading but there's no D it just goes A B C F

#9 notetaking: We now do this ourselves by nominating "notetakers" who will be payed money by the rest of the class via venmo in exchange for notes. I think it irritates some of the faculty because it reduces attendance ... but ... you know....

#13-#16: NBDE... almost everyone passes. Average study time is 6 hours per day for 6 days I'd say. Some do longer (i did 8 hours per day * 12 days). I think I over studied. Most people begin studying the day after the last class of the fall semester second year (december 13th ish) and take it right before christmas.

#17-18: You're gonna have to put in some work to get the patients you need to graduate. 3rd year students on screening rotation do the screening that determines how the patients are assigned. They're then given to you for comprehensive care. If you don't agree with the 3rd year who screened them tough noogies.

#19: We had to go to competency based for CODA this year so it's kinda funky. You still have to have a certain number of procedures to challenge your competency.

operative: 175 points
Fixed: 10 units (not counting pontics)
complete dentures: 4
RPD: 3
RCT: 3
Extractions: 50
Perio: 14 quads SCRP
2 biopsies
some radiology stuff
some peds stuff

#23: they just changed it to scrubs only, which is a bummer because what am I supposed to do with all these button downs?

Anyhow, UNC is great in general! Your classmates are going to be awesome, and you'll learn to fix all sorts of messed up teeth.

Anyone from WesternU that can help answer these questions? Thank you!

UCLA

Blocks, sometimes we have midterms , most of the time just a final-especially as you progress

Anatomy, opath

materials

5) Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out? lots of gunners but people will help if you need it, varies every year

ppt

no

PFH

someone gets paid to take notes

some classes yes, some no

Some teachers yes but some are too busy with research

Yes.

everyone passes that I know of

some take it 1st some take it 2nd

No extra time is given to study for boards, just use your break in between quarters

Everyones different, some in the library and some at home

Removable is tough to get

Yes, spots can fill up fast if you dont book ahead of time

requirements are tough but mostly due to the lack of patients for some procedures

ya we have rotations for OS and peds off site

yes there are service trips to honduras and there are trips to parts of LA to deliver care

22) Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunities does your school offer?
we have courses for that but they aren't as helpful as you'd think they would be

you can wear whatever you want, just show up in scrubs during clinic time

can anyone from Upenn fill out on of these please!!?

Thanks for advice some good dental school. Thanks for share

Nova Southeastern University anybody??