*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah for one of them I have her name but am wondering If I should contact her to see if she'd be able to confirm me becoming a member if they contact her, or just trust that things will work out since that seems pretty tedious to do.

Also, for the main header award, I'm thinking of changing the organization name to the following since it's a part of CSUN:

Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society CSUN Chapter 163
I added this last sentence in here right before you replied so I don't think you got a chance to see it, but what do you think of the change to the organization name as can be seen above?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For the name of the award I'm thinking of change

This what I ended up writing for my poster presentation descriptions, would you mind looking it over and giving me your thoughts/feedbacks on it? If it's too much then no worries, but if you can, then that would be great. Here it is:

Main Header:

A. Experience Name-Co-Authored Poster on “Predictors of College Students’ Level of Nutritional Knowledge”
B. Presentation date-April 2013
C. Total Hours-10 hours
D. Organization Name-93rd Western Psychological Association (WPA) Convention

Narrative:

As a co-author, I orally presented and displayed my research poster at the WPA convention to students and professors from multiple universities. At this convention, students and professors discussed and presented any research they have conducted or contributed to in the field of psychology.
6 hours

Also:

2/2013
I presented the same poster at California State University Northridge's (CSUN) 17th Annual Student Research & Creative Works Symposium. This symposium was a student conference that featured oral and poster presentations. The purpose of it was to showcase excellence in scholarly research and creative activity conducted by CSUN students across all academic disciplines.
4 hours
Maybe you could add in whether the Western Psychological Association Convention is regional or national.

Maybe you could add in whether the Western Psychological Association Convention is regional or national.

I just called them and found out it's regional, so I made it the following:

At this regional convention, students and professors discussed and presented any research they have conducted or contributed to in the field of psychology.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of changing the organization name to the following since it's a part of CSUN:

Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society CSUN Chapter 163I added this last sentence in here right before you replied so I don't think you got a chance to see it, but what do you think of the change to the organization name as can be seen above?
That's fine.

1. If I want to clump 2 activities together under one slot but the one being mentioned in the "also" part of the narrative is a repeated experience and the timeline for it is a bit complex in terms of its dates, does all that need to mentioned in the narrative?

2. If the answer is yes, then it makes it near impossible for me to place both under one slot due to the limit of 700 characters to explain what you did.

Here's the example I'm referring to, I didn't write whether the Kaiser experience was repeated or not, and I didn't write the time frame as it's complicated like the one in the main header. Suggestions/thoughts?

Main Header:

A. Experience Name- Hospital Volunteer
B. Start date to end date- May 2013-June 2013----46 hours, August 2013-February 2015—348 hours
May 2015-August 2015—79.25 hours, December 2015-June 2016---102 hours, August 2016-September 2016---33 hours
C. Total Hours- 608.25 hours
D. Repeated-Yes
E. Organization Name-Santa Monica/Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
F. Contact's first and last name- Hayk
G. Contact's Title- UCLA Radiology Department Coordinator
H. Contact's Phone Number/Email- (818) 555-5555

As a volunteer, I rotated through Medical Surgical, Pediatrics, Radiology, Intensive Care Unit, Oncology, Cardiac Catheterization Lab, ER, and Surgery Center. I helped the medical staff with any clerical duties as well as transported, discharged, and assisted patients with their non-medical needs, helped the janitorial staff clean patient's rooms and made sure the supply carts were stocked. I also picked up and delivered food or medical equipment for patients. I went out of my way and stayed beyond my required shift time to help discharge patients and wait with them until they got picked up.

Also:

Kaiser Permanente, Hospital Volunteer
Same description as above, but in the Medical Surgical/Telemetry department (Can I type this in for the description here, or is it inappropriate/weird sounding?)
122.5 hours

1. If I want to clump 2 activities together under one slot but the one being mentioned in the "also" part of the narrative is a repeated experience and the timeline for it is a bit complex in terms of its dates, does all that need to mentioned in the narrative?
Also:

Kaiser Permanente, Hospital Volunteer
Same description as above, but in the Medical Surgical/Telemetry department (Can I type this in for the description here, or is it inappropriate/weird sounding?)
122.5 hours
I think it's fine as you've described above, but I suggest adding a brief inclusive timeframe to the second description, like "122.5 hours between the above timeframes", or "during 2015-16."

1.) I perform a traditional folkdance from my culture with a group of students from my university at events, festivals, parades, and sports game. It seems like it would fall under the definition of "artistic endeavor" due to the public aspect but I was thinking it may be advantageous to list it as a hobby so that it conveys how much it really helps me destress and have fun. Does it matter either way?

2.) I don't have any long-term non-clinical volunteering gigs yet but I have worked several events where I have acted as a "group leader" for incoming freshmen or high school students by leading workshops with them and giving them tours around campus. Could this possibly count as volunteering as I did so in service to the community, and could I group them together since they have a similar goal/purpose (perhaps titling it "Youth Mentor / Group Leader")? Thanks!

1.) I perform a traditional folkdance from my culture with a group of students from my university at events, festivals, parades, and sports game. It seems like it would fall under the definition of "artistic endeavor" due to the public aspect but I was thinking it may be advantageous to list it as a hobby so that it conveys how much it really helps me destress and have fun. Does it matter either way?

2.) I don't have any long-term non-clinical volunteering gigs yet but I have worked several events where I have acted as a "group leader" for incoming freshmen or high school students by leading workshops with them and giving them tours around campus. Could this possibly count as volunteering as I did so in service to the community, and could I group them together since they have a similar goal/purpose (perhaps titling it "Youth Mentor / Group Leader")? Thanks!
1) No, it doesn't matter which tag you use. And an advantage of using Hobbies is that you don't need a Contact.

2) Yes. Yes. Yes.

I think it's fine as you've described above, but I suggest adding a brief inclusive timeframe to the second description, like "122.5 hours between the above timeframes", or "during 2015-16."

Sounds good, I went ahead and made those changes. For the description of the activity, I had to alter it due to the character count. I'm still over and was thinking of changing Intensive care unit to "ICU". Would that be fine, or do I still have to write it out?

I had to alter it due to the character count. I'm still over and was thinking of changing Intensive care unit to "ICU". Would that be fine, or do I still have to write it out?
I think it's a safe assumption that everyone likely to read your application will understand that acronym, so you're fine.

One more question! What type of conferences attended would be useful to include?

Members don't see this ad :)
One more question! What type of conferences attended would be useful to include?
What sort have you attended that you wouldn't have already mentioned in a Research, Presentations/Posters, Hobbies, Employment, or Leadership space?

Now I might be interested if you chose to mention a Star Trek convention or Comic Con, but I'll be the first to admit this choice wouldn't have sufficient appeal to other adcomms to bother with.

If for one of the slots I'm writing about a blog that I started and I'm listing it under hobbies For the experience name would I name it "Personal Blog"

2. For the organization name would I/can I put the name of the site?

If for one of the slots I'm writing about a blog that I started and I'm listing it under hobbies For the experience name would I name it "Personal Blog"

2. For the organization name would I/can I put the name of the site?
1) Besides making the name something that suggests your title (?Blog Author or Writer, perhaps), you might add what you're blogging on: About My Life Journey, Fashion, Exercise and Diet, or whatever.

2) Yes. Or the web address, if it fits.

1) Besides making the name something that suggests your title (?Blog Author or Writer, perhaps), you might add what you're blogging on: About My Life Journey, Fashion, Exercise and Diet, or whatever.

2) Yes. Or the web address, if it fits.

The site is looking at consciousness as it relates to the brain and I plan on incorporating other topics such as lucid dreaming, and parapsychology topics that are not exactly in line with medicine or might be considered pseudoscience. Considering this is the idea, do you think I should avoid writing such blogs until after I get accepted into med school, or what would be the approach at this point? I don't want them judging me based on my interests outside of medicine if it's something they consider to be "Taboo" or pseudoscience, such as talking about things like Out of body experiences, or something along those lines. At the same time, however, I want to let them know as you said before what I like to do for fun on my time off.

Thank you

The site is looking at consciousness as it relates to the brain and I plan on incorporating other topics such as lucid dreaming, and parapsychology topics that are not exactly in line with medicine or might be considered pseudoscience. Considering this is the idea, do you think I should avoid writing such blogs until after I get accepted into med school, or what would be the approach at this point? I don't want them judging me based on my interests outside of medicine if it's something they consider to be "Taboo" or pseudoscience, such as talking about things like Out of body experiences, or something along those lines. At the same time, however, I want to let them know as you said before what I like to do for fun on my time off.

Thank you
Then it's fine to go with a nonspecific title, emphasize your enjoyment of writing as a leisuretime activity, and not give sufficient information for a curious adcomm to look it up.

A question regarding research presentation that you contributed, but not the presenter:

There are projects where my lab members have presented at national conferences that I contributed data/work (thus, my name appeared on the author list at the title powerpoint slide), but I didn't attend the conference or presented it myself. Is such presentation appropriate to put in AMCAS?

If yes, do I need a separate entry from the presentations where I was the presenting author? If so, what is the recommended format? I was thinking "Contributed presentation, presentation title, presented by name at xxx conference"

A question regarding research presentation that you contributed, but not the presenter:

1) There are projects where my lab members have presented at national conferences that I contributed data/work (thus, my name appeared on the author list at the title powerpoint slide), but I didn't attend the conference or presented it myself. Is such presentation appropriate to put in AMCAS?

2) If yes, do I need a separate entry from the presentations where I was the presenting author? If so, what is the recommended format? I was thinking "Contributed presentation, presentation title, presented by name at xxx conference"
1) Yes. If your name is on the author list, you can list it under Presentations/Posters or in the affiliated Research space regardless of whether you stood next to the poster and answered questions, or not.

2) No. Just be sure to credit the actual presenter after you cite the poster, Like, "Third author (if not obvious from citation). Contributed to data and poster design. Presentation by nth author."

2) No. Just be sure to credit the actual presenter after you cite the poster, Like, "Third author (if not obvious from citation). Contributed to data and poster design. Presentation by nth author."

Thanks for your response. But what if there're many authors on the list and I didn't want to list all of them out? is it okay to just say "Third author, presentation title, contributed to data, presented by xxx (name of the presenting author)"?

I also want to ask (I know this might be redundant), but you do not put publication acknowledgement on AMCAS, only authorship, right?

1) But what if there're many authors on the list and I didn't want to list all of them out? is it okay to just say "Third author, presentation title, contributed to data, presented by xxx (name of the presenting author)"?

2) I also want to ask (I know this might be redundant), but you do not put publication acknowledgement on AMCAS, only authorship, right?
1) Yes. Shortening the citation in that way is fine, if space is an issue. You might want to include the PI if they are one of the authors.

2) That's correct.

If you took out the shadowing and listed those hours in the Shadowing space, then helping the PTs directly with patients would be more than 50% of the remaining time spent, and you could keep the "Clinical" tag.

But don't feel you need to list all the PT observation hours in the shadowing space, as some will feel it odd that you have more of that than physician shadowing.

Hey, Catalystik so I've decided to list this classification as a physician shadowing/clinical observation, but under its own slot. For the Experience name, However, I have it named as "Physical Therapy Department Volunteer", and this is the following description I have:

I observed physical therapists working with post-surgical liver patients who needed help regaining their strength and mobility. I talked with and comforted patients during their rehabilitation to help motivate them and take their minds off of their conditions. I shadowed physical therapists in neurology, intensive care unit, and pediatrics, as they aided patients with activities of daily living. I was inspired by these patients because I was able to see the positive progression of their condition's on a weekly basis, as well as the resilience of the human spirit. Furthermore, the experience truly humbled me and made me thankful for my health.

This is the feedback that I got on it:

hmm this one could be tricky, since you're listing it as shadowing but your role was as a volunteer. usually, you want to pair your volunteer work with the patient interaction, so the part where you talk about comforting patients should technically go higher. BUT it's a shadowing experience so you want to focus on that. could you change the experience name to just shadowing?

Based on this feedback, would you suggest changing the Experience name? If so, what can I change it to so it's not overlapping with the classification type as I know the two aren't supposed to sound alike?

Thanks

Hey, Catalystik so I've decided to list this classification as a physician shadowing/clinical observation, but under its own slot. For the Experience name, However, I have it named as "Physical Therapy Department Volunteer", and this is the following description I have:

I observed physical therapists working with post-surgical liver patients who needed help regaining their strength and mobility. I talked with and comforted patients during their rehabilitation to help motivate them and take their minds off of their conditions. I shadowed physical therapists in neurology, intensive care unit, and pediatrics, as they aided patients with activities of daily living. I was inspired by these patients because I was able to see the positive progression of their condition's on a weekly basis, as well as the resilience of the human spirit. Furthermore, the experience truly humbled me and made me thankful for my health.

This is the feedback that I got on it:

hmm this one could be tricky, since you're listing it as shadowing but your role was as a volunteer. usually, you want to pair your volunteer work with the patient interaction, so the part where you talk about comforting patients should technically go higher. BUT it's a shadowing experience so you want to focus on that. could you change the experience name to just shadowing?

Based on this feedback, would you suggest changing the Experience name? If so, what can I change it to so it's not overlapping with the classification type as I know the two aren't supposed to sound alike?

Thanks
I'd be fine with you keeping the current Name of the space, but adding to it, "& Observer," as most of the time you were watching (as I recall). To decrease potential confusion in the reader, you might consider stating that "shadowing was 90% of the time and patient interaction 10% (or whatever)," as this will explain why you picked the tag that you did for the space.

I'd be fine with you keeping the current Name of the space, but adding to it, "& Observer," as most of the time you were watching (as I recall). To decrease potential confusion in the reader, you might consider stating that "shadowing was 90% of the time and patient interaction 10% (or whatever)," as this will explain why you picked the tag that you did for the space.

I just had an idea. What if I name it Physical Therapist Observation? Is that fine, or too short and not specific enough?

For research publication, is "accepted manuscript" viewed the same as a manuscript that's published in press?

I have a publication that's accepted but isn't going to be "published in press" anytime soon. Therefore, no doi or citation is available. How do you present that on the AMCAS?

For research publication, is "accepted manuscript" viewed the same as a manuscript that's published in press?

I have a publication that's accepted but isn't going to be "published in press" anytime soon. Therefore, no doi or citation is available. How do you present that on the AMCAS?
Is it Accepted (in which case how long are we talking, and might it appear as an e-publication ahead of print)? Or Accepted, pending minor revisions? Or Accepted, pending major revisions? Do you have a letter or email stating the manuscript is accepted?

Is it Accepted (in which case how long are we talking, and might it appear as an e-publication ahead of print)? Or Accepted, pending minor revisions? Or Accepted, pending major revisions? Do you have a letter or email stating the manuscript is accepted?

It is "accepted" after all revision. It will be published but probably won't see it in PubMed until late this year or early next year (the journal publishes quarterly, I believe).

Yes, a congratulations email/letter is available but only my PI (who's the corresponding author) has access to it.

Would this publication seen as the same as those that were actually "in press"?

It is "accepted" after all revision. It will be published but probably won't see it in PubMed until late this year or early next year (the journal publishes quarterly, I believe).

Yes, a congratulations email/letter is available but only my PI (who's the corresponding author) has access to it.

Would this publication seen as the same as those that were actually "in press"?
A manuscript accepted after minor revisions is considered "Accepted," but one that requires major revision is not.

If you are sure it will appear in one of the next two issues, I'd look on it as nearly the same as one with a PubMedID#. When you refer to it, you would use the usual formal citation, but inert [in press] in place of the journal issue, date, page numbers, etc. which are not yet known. In the narrative space of the Publication description, you would state the range of time when it would be expected to appear.

If your PI/corresponding author sent you an email informing you of the acceptance, that would be "good enough" documentation to have on hand "just in case."

A manuscript accepted after minor revisions is considered "Accepted," but one that requires major revision is not.

If you are sure it will appear in one of the next two issues, I'd look on it as nearly the same as one with a PubMedID#. When you refer to it, you would use the usual formal citation, but inert [in press] in place of the journal issue, date, page numbers, etc. which are not yet known. In the narrative space of the Publication description, you would state the range of time when it would be expected to appear.

If your PI/corresponding author sent you an email informing you of the acceptance, that would be "good enough" documentation to have on hand "just in case."

Thank you for the detailed response. The status for the manuscript is "approved and accepted for publication." It is waiting in queue to appear in the press and PubMed Database. It seems like I can included it as a publication with an approximate publication date.

Thank you for the detailed response. The status for the manuscript is "approved and accepted for publication." It is waiting in queue to appear in the press and PubMed Database. It seems like I can included it as a publication with an approximate publication date.
Yes, it's fine to list it among your AMCAS activities. The date you'd enter into the Publications header would be the acceptance date.

Is there a point in listing a job that you had under your work/activities section? For instance, if I'm working part-time while studying for the MCAT, I would think this would make me look good because it shows I can manage my time and handle multiple things at once. Is this the only context and or benefit of incorporating that you had a job on your work/activities section? Any advice/tips? Thanks

1) a) Is there a point in listing a job that you had under your work/activities section? For instance, if I'm working part-time while studying for the MCAT, b) I would think this would make me look good because it shows I can manage my time and handle multiple things at once.

2) Is this the only context and or benefit of incorporating that you had a job on your work/activities section? Any advice/tips? Thanks
1a) Yes. b) I agree.

2) Other reasons: Some jobs require people skills desirable in a med school candidate. Some show you were responsible and trusted, or are able to solve problems. Some show you are more likely to identify with the concerns of working-class people. Some highlight other skills: mechanical, gross or fine-motor skills, teamwork, attention to detail, etc.

So I submitted my primary back in June and I only listed 4 activities because I didn't think that admissions would care about things I did in high school or non-academic activities (I should have looked here first!). How much would that hurt my chances? Do most schools allow you to send additional info that isn't really an update? I currently have 3 II so I guess it hasn't hurt my chances too much, but I'm worried that some schools are on the fence because I listed so little activities.

So I submitted my primary back in June and I only listed 4 activities because I didn't think that admissions would care about things I did in high school or non-academic activities (I should have looked here first!).

1) How much would that hurt my chances?
2) Do most schools allow you to send additional info that isn't really an update? I currently have 3 II so I guess it hasn't hurt my chances too much, but I'm worried that some schools are on the fence because I listed so little activities.
1) It depends on what you covered with the activities you did list (given the possibility that some activities are double or triple or quadruple dippers) and what experiences a school considers essential for their consideration. Every school is different.

2) Some schools encourage regular updates. Some don't take them at all. Others prefer an occasional update, or providing one only after you have interviewed. You will have to read each school's website, or call their admissions office, to know their policy.

To what degree you are disadvantaged can't be determined from what you've written. Why not post more thoroughly in a new thread, giving details of what you listed and what you omitted, in a WAMC thread, along with stats, state of residence, etc, as listed in one of the stickies (How to Format Your Thread) at the top of that SDN Forum.

Disclaimer: Post was found in a bottle washed up on the mod team's private island.

The AMCAS Application will be opening soon, and with it comes a ton of questions. The "Work and Activities" Section is probably the most talked about section. For reference, here are three older threads that contain lots of valuable information about this section:

Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS (2005-2010 thread)
*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~* (2011-2012 thread)
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

(Even though these threads are all quite long, you can still search those threads to find useful answers to your question)

All new threads dealing with this topic in Pre-Allo will be merged into this thread.

In the first few posts, the Moderation staff will be compiling a FAQ. Any suggestions for the FAQ are appreciated.

REMINDER: Each thread has a search function. Please use it.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

my question has nothing to do with this but i hope someone can help me.
i started the application but did not finish or clicked submit, it says Not Submitted to AMCAS. i dont wish to apply this cycle, do they know i have applied? do i have to do something to delete the non submitted application? does it submit automatically a specific day?

my question has nothing to do with this but i hope someone can help me.
i started the application but did not finish or clicked submit, it says Not Submitted to AMCAS. i dont wish to apply this cycle, do they know i have applied? do i have to do something to delete the non submitted application? does it submit automatically a specific day?
If you didn't pay the required fees then your application will not go anywhere. There is no reason to delete the filled out application form, as you can use it for reference while you fine tune the responses for next year's new application (which will have a different link, but for which you'll need the same username and password). Some basic information will repopulate in the next application, but you'll have to fill out most of it again, unfortunately including the transcript and Activities areas.

Hi Catalystik,

Would being selected for and participating in student led interviews for prospective faculty be something that is appropriate to put under an honors section, or is it best to leave out?

Hi Catalystik,

Would being selected for and participating in student led interviews for prospective faculty be something that is appropriate to put under an honors section, or is it best to leave out?
What were the criteria for your selection? Are you given an interview guide, or are your questions self-selected? What would your role be on the selection committee? How many hours of participation would you list?

What were the criteria for your selection? Are you given an interview guide, or are your questions self-selected? What would your role be on the selection committee? How many hours of participation would you list?

Faculty from our honors college recommended students to the search committee and then we met with the search committee and officially signed on or declined.

A team of students worked together to create the questions and a faculty member signed off before we asked them.

My role was to interview prospective faculty along with other students using the questions we created.

We also had to write a post interview analysis of each candidate and give it to the search committee.

There was also a final tall almond students and a few memebrs of the search committee where we gave our final recommendations.

I would say about 10-15 hours. There were only 5 candidates, since this was the last stage in the process and previous cuts were made.

Since the time commitment was relatively low that’s why I wondered if it was more suited to a student “honor” thing

Faculty from our honors college recommended students to the search committee and then we met with the search committee and officially signed on or declined.

A team of students worked together to create the questions and a faculty member signed off before we asked them.

My role was to interview prospective faculty along with other students using the questions we created.

We also had to write a post interview analysis of each candidate and give it to the search committee.

There was also a final tall almond students and a few memebrs of the search committee where we gave our final recommendations.

I would say about 10-15 hours. There were only 5 candidates, since this was the last stage in the process and previous cuts were made.

Since the time commitment was relatively low that’s why I wondered if it was more suited to a student “honor” thing
1) "also a final tall almond students"? You'll have to interpret this for me.

2) I think Honors/Awards is a good tag to use. Put as much of the stuff above as you can get into the space in succinct form.

1) "also a final tall almond students"? You'll have to interpret this for me.

2) I think Honors/Awards is a good tag to use. Put as much of the stuff above as you can get into the space in succinct form.

Final talk among students! Sorry haha I’m not a gold member anymore and can’t edit typos from typing fast :p

I was only planning on having one honors/awards space because I don’t want to appear pretentious. I have a couple other awards and programs to include so would summarizing my involvement into a few sentences be okay?

Hi all,

I have a quick question! I’m currently applying this cycle but being a neurotic premed I wanted to ask this:

When I worked on my activities sections for the total hours, I only estimate my hours until the time I submitted my amcas which was June 2017 even though for a number of them I’m continuing until August 2018!

Do you think advom will understand my total hours input that way? Or it will be a detrimental blow to my app because they may factor it out and think I did too little hours per week?

Thank you for your comments!

I have a quick question! I’m currently applying this cycle but being a neurotic premed I wanted to ask this:

When I worked on my activities sections for the total hours, I only estimate my hours until the time I submitted my amcas which was June 2017 even though for a number of them I’m continuing until August 2018!

Do you think advom will understand my total hours input that way? Or it will be a detrimental blow to my app because they may factor it out and think I did too little hours per week?
They might assume a proportion of the total hours you listed would be future hours, if you didn't explain in the narrative that the listed hours had already been completed. Whether that's an issue or not would depend on total time span, total hours listed, and how many hours might reasonably be assumed to be already completed. The more critical ones of concern would be clinical involvement, nonmedical community service, and shadowing (depending on whether you included sub-timespans in the narrative space).

If you didn't use your Secondary essays to clarify, where the prompt was appropriate to that purpose, you might consider checking into whether an update letter would be allowed at this point in the cycle at your target schools. You could make the situation more clear there while providing an update on newly accumulated hours beyond what was originally listed.

They might assume a proportion of the total hours you listed would be future hours, if you didn't explain in the narrative that the listed hours had already been completed. Whether that's an issue or not would depend on total time span, total hours listed, and how many hours might reasonably be assumed to be already completed. The more critical ones of concern would be clinical involvement, nonmedical community service, and shadowing (depending on whether you included sub-timespans in the narrative space).

If you didn't use your Secondary essays to clarify, where the prompt was appropriate to that purpose, you might consider checking into whether an update letter would be allowed at this point in the cycle at your target schools. You could make the situation more clear there while providing an update on newly accumulated hours beyond what was originally listed.

Thank you for your response! In some secondaries that asked what I’m doing during my gap year, I did indicate my continuous involvements. However, for the schools I received interviews at, I don’t believe I had the chance to correct the issue in their secondaries!

For my critical involvements, as an example:
One of my major clinical involvement spans from 8/2014 to 7/2018 with total hours I declared at 700, my one other nonclinical service spans from 9/2015 to 5/2016 and 6/2016 to 7/2018 with ~350 total hours listed, my research spans from 1/2016-8/2018 with ~500 hours! These are the only three with future dates indicated!

these hours increased dramatically following June 2017! I’m awaiting decision from one university I already interviewed at! If I get waitlisted, i believe I should send an update regarding the hours?

Do these hours look concerning to you considering the time span?

Thank you for your response! In some secondaries that asked what I’m doing during my gap year, I did indicate my continuous involvements. However, for the schools I received interviews at, I don’t believe I had the chance to correct the issue in their secondaries!

1) For my critical involvements, as an example:
- One of my major clinical involvement spans from 8/2014 to 7/2018 with total hours I declared at 700,
-my one other nonclinical service spans from 9/2015 to 5/2016 and 6/2016 to 7/2018 with ~350 total hours listed,
-my research spans from 1/2016-8/2018 with ~500 hours! These are the only three with future dates indicated!

2) these hours increased dramatically following June 2017! I’m awaiting decision from one university I already interviewed at! If I get waitlisted, i believe I should send an update regarding the hours?

3) Do these hours look concerning to you considering the time span?
1) Fortunately, you have good longevity for each of those activities. If the proportionate hours for the remaining year are subtracted, you still have a decent amount for each.

2) I think update letters are indicated for any school that takes them, to include fall term grades.

3) No. I think you're fine, even though you might not be credited with the actual degree of involvement you should be.

1) Fortunately, you have good longevity for each of those activities. If the proportionate hours for the remaining year are subtracted, you still have a decent amount for each.

2) I think update letters are indicated for any school that takes them, to include fall term grades.

3) No. I think you're fine, even though you might not be credited with the actual degree of involvement you should be.

Thank you so much again! I definitely will take your advice and send updates to schools that take them in November!

I graduated in June of 2017 but most schools did not receive my grades for the spring of 2017! I will update them on my grades and mention something along the line “on top of the total hours indicated on amcas which were calculated up until time of submission, I have accumulated # of hours for ... activity since June 2017” I hope that will suffice!

Thank you again for your generous advice!

Thank you so much again! I definitely will take your advice and send updates to schools that take them in November!

I graduated in June of 2017 but most schools did not receive my grades for the spring of 2017! I will update them on my grades and mention something along the line “on top of the total hours indicated on amcas which were calculated up until time of submission, I have accumulated # of hours for ... activity since June 2017” I hope that will suffice!
Sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.