*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a few questions in regards to listing 2 poster presentations that come from the same data/experiment on the work/activities section.

1. When listing poster presentations (for both of them), under experience name, what would you suggest labeling it as? Would it still be considered Undergraduate Research Assistant if that's what I was at the time of the presentation, or should I list it as something else?

2. For organization name, I presented at two different places. More specifically, the first one is the following: CSUN 17th Annual Student Research & Creative Works Symposium. Should I leave it as that, or take out the CSUN in there? For the second one, I currently have it as the following: Ninety-Third Annual Convention of the Western Psychological. Should I change it to the following: Western Psychological Association Convention?

3. The total hours is the amount of time you actually stood by your poster and presented it correct?

4. If in the symposium our team members took turns presenting the poster to judges/students, do you mention this, or just simply talk about how you presented the poster during these events?

Thanks

If I'm listing two research presentations under one slot and they come from the same data and are the same presentations, can I have my slot set up this way?

Main Header:

A. Experience Name- Co-Authored Poster on “Predictors of College Students’ Level of Nutritional Knowledge”
B. Presentation date- April 2013
C. Total Hours- 6 hours
E. Organization Name-93rd Western Psychological Association Convention
F. Contact's first and last name- Jason ------- (leave this as blank just as an example)
G. Contact's Title- Professor
H. Contact's Phone Number/Email- (818) 555-5555

Narrative:

Same experience as above

California State University Northridge's 17th Annual Student Research & Creative Works Symposium

Can I simply state "same experience and contact as above", as I've typed here or do I have to write out the experience and contact again?

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm listing two research presentations under one slot and they come from the same data and are the same presentations, can I have my slot set up this way?

Main Header:

A. Experience Name- Co-Authored Poster on “Predictors of College Students’ Level of Nutritional Knowledge”
B. Presentation date- April 2013
C. Total Hours- 6 hours
E. Organization Name-93rd Western Psychological Association Convention
F. Contact's first and last name- Jason ------- (leave this as blank just as an example)
G. Contact's Title- Professor
H. Contact's Phone Number/Email- (818) 555-5555

Narrative:

Same experience as above

California State University Northridge's 17th Annual Student Research & Creative Works Symposium

Can I simply state "same experience and contact as above", as I've typed here or do I have to write out the experience and contact again?
You can shorten the narrative comment to say, "Same data (or same poster) also presented at California State University Northridge's 17th Annual Student Research & Creative Works Symposium on [date]. "

It is implied that the contact is the same, so no need to state that or the poster title again.

For the Contact's Title, you might alternatively say "PhD, Principal Investigator."

You can shorten the narrative comment to say, "Same data (or same poster) also presented at California State University Northridge's 17th Annual Student Research & Creative Works Symposium on [date]. "

It is implied that the contact is the same, so no need to state that or the poster title again.

For the Contact's Title, you might alternatively say "PhD, Principal Investigator."

For contact's title I just took it out real quick in order to preserve privacy, I'm listing it as more than simply professor.

Moreover, I might have already indirectly asked this before, but I'm going to ask you just in case.

1. When we clump 3 activities under 1 slot since they're similar, if it's the same contact as the one in the header, then we don't bother listing the contact's name/title/position and all that all over again in the narrative, it's simply assumed? If this is the case, then I can edit a lot of my narrative spaces to leave out the same contact information again and again.

2. If yes, then based on that logic, that would mean that if it's not the same contact/title/position, then we would, in fact, list it since it's not assumed by anything right?

Members don't see this ad :)
For contact's title I just took it out real quick in order to preserve privacy, I'm listing it as more than simply professor.

Moreover, I might have already indirectly asked this before, but I'm going to ask you just in case.

1. When we clump 3 activities under 1 slot since they're similar, if it's the same contact as the one in the header, then we don't bother listing the contact's name/title/position and all that all over again in the narrative, it's simply assumed? If this is the case, then I can edit a lot of my narrative spaces to leave out the same contact information again and again.

2. If yes, then based on that logic, that would mean that if it's not the same contact/title/position, then we would, in fact, list it since it's not assumed by anything right?
2) If it's the same for all three, then I agree there is no need to repeat the information. If one is different, enter it last into the narrative space and include comparable information.

2) Yes.

2) If it's the same for all three, then I agree there is no need to repeat the information. If one is different, enter it last into the narrative space and include comparable information.

2) Yes.

Thank you for the clarification. It seems like there is so much detail that goes into filling out this section, the smallest things! I can see why this is the most asked about section and why it's irksome.

1) I tutored for a university organization that aims to increase campus diversity and the achievement of underrepresented undergraduates, and the organization name makes this clear. From an adcom's perspective, would it seem pretentious if I wrote "Tutored underrepresented undergraduates..." in the description instead of leaving out the term "underrepresented?" I am a white male, and I feel like it might come off as if I had a white savior complex or something. I'm also unsure if it even adds to the description anyways.

2) I am also concerned whether or not to add something along the lines of being proud that all of the students showed an increase in exam scores after starting to meet with me. It's also factual but possibly pretentious.
I agree with you that I would avoid using "underrepresented" for the population you've tutored when describing your role. Instead you might consider borrowing a phrase from the group's mission statement when you describe the organization (you'll probably find it online). Even that might be a moot point, depending on the title of the Organization. If you care to share it, I won't quote that part of your response.

2) I don't have a problem with your including this, but I'd like it better if you could quantitate the outcome more specifically. Do you have data?

Will begin working full-time next week as a dental assistant. Should I add this experience to my work/activities section or wait until my secondaries to discuss it?

Hi! Can I get some advice/honest feedback on my work and activities. I'm a semi-untraditional applicant as I graduated in 2015 and spent one year abroad as a missionary english teacher, and this past year I've worked part time as an afterschool teacher and did some volunteer work at a pediactric hospital once a week. I don't really have anyone who I can get honest feedback from regarding the strength of my application so any advice would be greatly appreciated (This includes things I should consider removing). I'm including in my list the experience type I think I may want to put my activity under.
1. Afterschool Teacher [teaching]
2. English Missionary Teacher in South Korea [Teaching] *I have a question about this as well. Because I also taught a free religion/english discussion class on the weekends while in south Korea that was open to the community and was extra credit for my actual students. I feel like that would be non-clinical volunteer experience but I'm not sure how to differentiate between these weekend classes and my traditional classes on my application. Should I just keep them together? This is also one of my most memorable experiences, so should I just list it as teaching and then talk about the volunteer aspect in my description? I'm a bit concerned because I don't have much non-clinical volunteering, because all of my other volunteer activities I did as part of a club*
3. Department of the Interior Intern [paid employment-non medical]
4. Pediatric Hospital Volunteer [clinical volunteer] *Question about this as well. I'm still currently volunteering at the hospital and have a bit over 100 hours so far. I would like to stop volunteering soon as I will be working full time this year and this wouldn't allow me to work one day during the work week. Is 100 hours of clinical volunteer experience enough or should I continue volunteering and include my future hours in my application?*
5. Medical Mission Trip to Thomasique Haiti [shadowing] *I spent a week in Haiti this past spring assisting in surgeries. Even though this was volunteer work I feel like I should include it as shadowing as I only have one other small shadowing experience besides this. Do you think this is a wise decision?*
6. Lab Instructor/Teachers Assistant [teaching]
7. Honors Society [honors/awards]
8. biological honors society [leadership?] *I was vice president of this organization my senior year and feel I should list it as leadership and not honors and awards*
9. Pre-Medical Clubs and organizations [extracurricular activities?] *I have 3 different organizations I could list here that I was a member of during undergrad. Should I list them all separately or all under heading? I was PR officer for a semester in one club (is that even worth mentioning?). And I l also did community service activities with some of the clubs like tutoring, nursing home visits, habitat for humanity (one day), mentoring programs, etc.* Is extracurricular the best heading or should I list this as non clinical volunteering, even though one of the organizations had no community service it was just a pre-research program I got into at my school?*
10. Backpacking Club [extracurricular] *no leadership role, is it worth listing?*
11. Microbiology Summer Research [Research/Lab]
12. Summer Pre-Matriculation Program at Medical School [other?] *This was a program I got accepted into that included most MCAT prep and other pre-medical advice, not sure how to classify it*
13. Shadowing [shadowing] *Not much here only around 15 hours*
14. Deans's List [awards/recognitions] *is this worth mentioning?*

I know it's a lot but like I said I don't really have anyone else I can go to for advice so any feedback would be extremely helpful!!!!

Will begin working full-time next week as a dental assistant. Should I add this experience to my work/activities section or wait until my secondaries to discuss it?
It depends. Do you have plenty of other active clinical experience already? In which case I'd suggest saving it for Secondaries and update letters.

Or is it on the sparse side and you feel you need adcomms to know your plans in order to strengthen your appeal?

Can I get some advice/honest feedback on my work and activities. I'm a semi-untraditional applicant as I graduated in 2015 and spent one year abroad as a missionary english teacher, and this past year I've worked part time as an afterschool teacher and did some volunteer work at a pediactric hospital once a week. I'm including in my list the experience type I think I may want to put my activity under.
1. Afterschool Teacher [teaching]
2. English Missionary Teacher in South Korea [Teaching] *I have a question about this as well. Because I also taught a free religion/english discussion class on the weekends while in south Korea that was open to the community and was extra credit for my actual students. I feel like that would be non-clinical volunteer experience but I'm not sure how to differentiate between these weekend classes and my traditional classes on my application. Should I just keep them together? This is also one of my most memorable experiences, so should I just list it as teaching and then talk about the volunteer aspect in my description? I'm a bit concerned because I don't have much non-clinical volunteering, because all of my other volunteer activities I did as part of a club*
3. Department of the Interior Intern [paid employment-non medical]
4. Pediatric Hospital Volunteer [clinical volunteer] *Question about this as well. I'm still currently volunteering at the hospital and have a bit over 100 hours so far. I would like to stop volunteering soon as I will be working full time this year and this wouldn't allow me to work one day during the work week. Is 100 hours of clinical volunteer experience enough or should I continue volunteering and include my future hours in my application?*
5. Medical Mission Trip to Thomasique Haiti [shadowing] *I spent a week in Haiti this past spring assisting in surgeries. Even though this was volunteer work I feel like I should include it as shadowing as I only have one other small shadowing experience besides this. Do you think this is a wise decision?*
6. Lab Instructor/Teachers Assistant [teaching]
7. Honors Society [honors/awards]
8. biological honors society [leadership?] *I was vice president of this organization my senior year and feel I should list it as leadership and not honors and awards*
9. Pre-Medical Clubs and organizations [extracurricular activities?] *I have 3 different organizations I could list here that I was a member of during undergrad. Should I list them all separately or all under heading? I was PR officer for a semester in one club (is that even worth mentioning?). And I l also did community service activities with some of the clubs like tutoring, nursing home visits, habitat for humanity (one day), mentoring programs, etc.* Is extracurricular the best heading or should I list this as non clinical volunteering, even though one of the organizations had no community service it was just a pre-research program I got into at my school?*
10. Backpacking Club [extracurricular] *no leadership role, is it worth listing?*
11. Microbiology Summer Research [Research/Lab]
12. Summer Pre-Matriculation Program at Medical School [other?] *This was a program I got accepted into that included most MCAT prep and other pre-medical advice, not sure how to classify it*
13. Shadowing [shadowing] *Not much here only around 15 hours*
14. Deans's List [awards/recognitions] *is this worth mentioning?*

I know it's a lot but like I said I don't really have anyone else I can go to for advice so any feedback would be extremely helpful!!!!
In answer to your questions:

2) I suggest you split out the two activities and list them separately, each with their own dates and hours: Employment and Community Serivce.

4) I feel that 100 hours is on the sparse side. I suggest you continue gaining more hours, for the sake of Secondaries, future update letters, and interview conversations. Perhaps you could cut the hours per week. If you decide to include future hours be sure to differentiate between completed and future hours at the time of application.

5) I agree that your other 15 shadowing hours are sparse, and that that would be a good category for the mission trip hours. How did you "assist" in surgery?

8) Yes, use Leadership. But remember that the prior years of general membership were not leadership and should not be included in the dates and hours you put in the header. If you want to mention them, briefly describe them as a part of the back story.

9) I think it will be more important to list the nonmedical community service you engaged in, even if you have to omit some clubs that had none.

10) Backpacking club could go under a Hobbies entry with other hobbies. I would like to see it included, even if grouped with other hobbies.

12) Omit it. I don't see this as adding to your appeal.

14) No. But you can group it with #7 if you have the space in the slot. Both can be taken out, as well, if needbe.

****Reorganize accordingly, if you're inclined, and let me know how many spaces you're at.

Last edited:
I don't really have anyone who I can get honest feedback from regarding the strength of my application so any advice would be greatly appreciated
If you would like an assessment of the strength of your overall application, SDN has a forum for that, too, called What are my chances ?(WAMC). You would need to provide a lot more information, but there is a sticky at the top of the forum that tells what details to include. See: What Are My Chances?

Reactions: 1 user
It depends. Do you have plenty of other active clinical experience already? In which case I'd suggest saving it for Secondaries and update letters.

Or is it on the sparse side and you feel you need adcomms to know your plans in order to strengthen your appeal?

Most clinical experience is from Free Clinic shadowing and volunteering (100+ hours). Relative to other applicants it could or could not be considered sparse. I know some schools don't accept updates either which is why it could strengthen my appeal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most clinical experience is from Free Clinic shadowing and volunteering (100+ hours). Relative to other applicants it could or could not be considered sparse. I know some schools don't accept updates either which is why it could strengthen my appeal.
If you're close to 150 volunteering hours at the free clinic, I'd say you're fine. If that includes dedicated shadowing during which time you weren't interacting with patients, then, not so much. Dedicated shadowing should be split out and put in a Shadowing space so it's sure to be noticed (taking care not to double count the hours).

Will you have started your new employment prior to submitting the AMCAS application? In which case, go ahead and add it, even though you may not have much to say about it so early.

If you're close to 150 volunteering hours at the free clinic, I'd say you're fine. If that includes dedicated shadowing during which time you weren't interacting with patients, then, not so much. Dedicated shadowing should be split out and put in a Shadowing space so it's sure to be noticed (taking care not to double count the hours).

Will you have started your new employment prior to submitting the AMCAS application? In which case, go ahead and add it, even though you may not have much to say about it so early.

Yeah I will start tomorrow so I'll be submitting AMCAS during the week then

If you shadowed Healthcare professionals other than medical doctors, should you mention that on your activities section? For example if you shadowed a pharmacist or a neuropsychologist, is that worth mentioning? Would that help your application or should you only incorporate medical doctors that you shadowed?

Thanks

If you shadowed Healthcare professionals other than medical doctors, should you mention that on your activities section? For example if you shadowed a pharmacist or a neuropsychologist, is that worth mentioning? Would that help your application or should you only incorporate medical doctors that you shadowed?
I don't know that it helps in all adcomms' eyes, but it's acceptable to demonstrate you've considered other careers. Just be sure the physician shadowing is the most dominant. Listing 100 hours of pharmacy shadowing and 20 for physicians wouldn't look good.

I don't know that it helps in all adcomms' eyes, but it's acceptable to demonstrate you've considered other careers. Just be sure the physician shadowing is the most dominant. Listing 100 hours of pharmacy shadowing and 20 for physicians wouldn't look good.

I see what you mean. Yeah, for instance, I shadowed an internist for 25 hours and let's say a psychologist for 14, I'm wondering if it looks bad since they're pretty close to one another.

Is it worth mentioning that you shadowed let's say an RN or CRNA for 6 hours, or is that too low to list/worth even mentioning as well?

I see what you mean. Yeah, for instance, I shadowed an internist for 25 hours and let's say a psychologist for 14, I'm wondering if it looks bad since they're pretty close to one another.

Is it worth mentioning that you shadowed let's say an RN or CRNA for 6 hours, or is that too low to list/worth even mentioning as well?
I think that nursing for 6 and psychologist for 14 are fine, since all of them will be grouped together in one space. But 25 for physician shadowing is kinda sparse, relative to what the average applicant lists.

While you could use your actual title or a bare-bones descriptor, something in between those two options might be better. I have no idea what a Care Partner does, and neither will many of your readers. So something more descriptive would be helpful. As an example, (assuming a Care Partner assists the nursing staff in hands-on patient care) Patient Comfort Care Volunteer in Post-Operative Unit.

1. So for instance, if I was responsible for greeting patients and opening their car doors for them as they got dropped off at the hospital, would I simply list that as Hospital greeter? I would also look for wheelchairs for patients, take them to their appointments by either walking them or escorting them via a wheelchair. I'm wondering if this is a good name that would encompass everything I did, or if I should change it.

2. In another role I was responsible for approaching and interviewing patients about their life history and writing up a nice and decorated summary at the end. Would an experience name such as Patient Interviewer in Medical Surgical & Oncology Departments fully cover what I did there, or would you recommend a different name?

3. If I did volunteer work at UCLA such as a Care Extender but adcomms wouldn't know what that is, should I simply list it as "Hospital Volunteer" or is that too broad? I would rotate between different departments every 3-4 months and I would help patients with nonclinical needs, clerical needs for the nursing staff, and would also transport patients vs wheelchairs, gurneys (with the help of staff). I'm thinking Hospital volunteer would suffice and then I can just go on to describe what I did in the narrative space. What are your thoughts on that?

4. When using descriptions for experience name can we use "/"? For instance, can I write "Volunteer in the sleep apnea/pulmonary department"? Same question goes for organization name, can I put "Santa Monica/Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center"?

Thanks

I think that nursing for 6 and psychologist for 14 are fine, since all of them will be grouped together in one space. But 25 for physician shadowing is kinda sparse, relative to what the average applicant lists.

How many hours does the typical applicant list? 40-50? I'm thinking of getting another 15 hours in with another type of physician to boost my hours there, would you say that I should do that before applying?

How many hours does the typical applicant list? 40-50? I'm thinking of getting another 15 hours in with another type of physician to boost my hours there, would you say that I should do that before applying?
Average is 50. Having 40 is OK. If you can't get them in before applying, at least try to schedule the time so you can list it as a future plan with the specific dates, name, specialty, etc, if possible.

Hi @Catalystik I am not applying till next cycle but as it stands now I have about 14 activities and by the end of next year I could most likely easily hit 15. However I know how important it is to not have an application full of fluff so If possible could you please look over this summary of my activities and let me know if all of them are worth having their own spot and/or if I should combine any?

Hours are lowball estimates of when I apply in a year from now I will almost certainly have more hours but I just being conservative to get the harshest critique. I was going to edit this later so if you don't mind no quoting I would appreciate it, but if you always quote then I understand Thanks so much for your time!!

1. nonclinical volunteering at community center 200 hours
2. Summer Cabin counselor at religious camp for high schoolers nonclinical volunteer 50 hours over 1 week
3. Summer cabin counselor at camp for kids . 80 hours nonclinical volunteer over 1 eek
4. TA 125 hours over 2 fall semesters
5. premed enrichment programs with Hospital organization. 1 week program and 1 year program. ( 50 hours of shadowing, 50 hours of premed activities)
6. membership in student organization ( 3 year involvement, 200 hours, leadership positions in year 2 and 3)
7. volunteer at clinic for people without health insurance 200 hours
8. internship 400 hours
9. 1 year Leadership program( 150 hours plus 25 hours nonclinal volunteering)
10. clinical summer research internship. 300 hours
11. Job Experience: food service and retail industries. 500 hours ( very low estimate) over 2 summers
12. Hospice Volunteering: 125 hours
13. Research at university: 400 hours
14. dorm position: 500 hours of leadership
15. I have a scholarship

Sorry for the length, thanks again and I look forward to hearing your opinon!

Last edited:
Hi @Catalystik I am not applying till next cycle but as it stands now I have about 14 activities and by the end of next year I could most likely easily hit 15. However I know how important it is to not have an application full of fluff so If possible could you please look over this summary of my activities and let me know if all of them are worth having their own spot and/or if I should combine any?

Hours are lowball estimates of when I apply in a year from now I will almost certainly have more hours but I just being conservative to get the harshest critique.
1. nonclinical volunteering at community center 200 hours
2. Summer Cabin counselor at religious camp for high schoolers nonclinical volunteer 50 hours over 1 week
3. Summer cabin counselor at camp for kids . 80 hours nonclinical volunteer over 1 eek
4. TA 125 hours over 2 fall semesters
5. premed enrichment programs with Hospital organization. 1 week program and 1 year program. ( 50 hours of shadowing, 50 hours of premed activities)
6. membership in student organization ( 3 year involvement, 200 hours, leadership positions in year 2 and 3)
7. volunteer at clinic for people without health insurance 200 hours
8. internship 400 hours
9. 1 year Leadership program( 150 hours plus 25 hours nonclinal volunteering)
10. clinical summer research internship. 300 hours
11. Job Experience: food service and retail industries. 500 hours ( very low estimate) over 2 summers
12. Hospice Volunteering: 125 hours
13. Research at university: 400 hours
14. dorm position: 500 hours of leadership
15. I have a scholarship

2&3) Can you group these?
5) Shadowing needs to go in its own space.
6) You could list this under Leadership if you take out year 1 from the date span and hours, and just mention them in the narrative as part of the back story.
9) This wouldn't necessarily go under Leadership, just so you know. But not enough description provided to judge, so just a heads-up.
14) might not qualify as leadership, so plan to be very convincing in your description if you don't want to call it employment.
15) Only if it's for merit, rather than need. That goes elsewhere. Could be taken out if you are short on space.

In general, they are otherwise "space-worthy" and comprehensive. Well done. I don't see a Hobbies entry, which I am a fan of. You could group the research if necessary (10 & 13), if you don't need to highlight them for research-oriented schools.

Last edited:
2&3) Can you group these?
5) Shadowing needs to go in its own space.
6) You could list this under Leadership if you take out year 1 from the date span and hours, and just mention them in the narrative as part of the back story.
9) This wouldn't necessarily go under Leadership, just so you know. But not enough description provided to judge, so just a heads-up.
14) RA, in my experience, doesn't usually qualify as leadership, so plan to be very convincing in your description if you don't want to call it employment.
15) Only if it's for merit, rather than need. That goes elsewhere. Could be taken out if you are short on space.

In general, they are otherwise "space-worthy" and comprehensive. Well done. I don't see a Hobbies entry, which I am a fan of. You could group the research if necessary (10 & 13), if you don't need to highlight them for research-oriented schools.

*****You've already made it sufficiently anonymous, but if there's anything specifically you're worried about, I can make it more generic in my quote. Just let me know.

2 and 3 were for very different groups and people. While the 2nd was religon oriented, the third was for kids whose families were affected by a disease. Should they still be combined? If so I no problem combining. I'm not trying to puff up my chest in any way haha.

5. the premed enrichment programs were like 75% shadowing and 25% lecture seminar stuff. If i detail the shadowing indepth is that still necessary? Although I have shadowing from another source so this might be a moot point.
6. point taken! I was planning on listing this as leadership thanks for the clarification
9. In the program we learned about fundamentals of leadership and then practiced them through community service projects other endeavours. I took on multiple leadership roles over the year. Is this best qualified as other?
14. To clairfy I work for residents but I'm not an RA. instead I will be planning and hosting professional and academic oriented events and am referred to as a student leader? Does that change anything? If not should i stick with employment or other. I dont get "paid" but am compensated with a free room.
15. Completely merit!! But I feel like a lot of people get this at my uni, is it still worth mentioning?

Thank you so much, especially for the advice you have offered throughout the years!! :)

10 was a research program but also had professional development at a top med school. The research areas are also quite different and I am aiming for research oriented schools if the MCAT goes well. so I think its good to distinguish the two, what do you think?

I don't really have any interesting hobbies:/ I work out regularly and I watch movies a lot, and casually play intramurals but no long term commited hobby like archery or something. Do you think that's worht mentioning? I dont want to seem like I'm trying to fluff haha. I'm scared that my app comes off that way even though I pursued all these things because of genuine interest. I keep hearing how more than 13 is really bad so I am worried haha.

Thanks for your feedback as well I guess I am just a little paranoid because i have been identified on here by people I don't know and who I do know because the activities are somewhat distinguishable so I tried to be generic as possible now.

Last edited:
2 and 3 were for very different groups and people. Should they still be combined? If so I no problem combining.

5. the premed enrichment programs were like 75% shadowing and 25% lecture seminar stuff. If i detail the shadowing indepth is that still necessary? Although I have shadowing from another source so this might be a moot point.
6. point taken! I was planning on listing this as leadership thanks for the clarification
9. In the program we learned about fundamentals of leadership and then practiced them through community service projects other endeavours. I took on multiple leadership roles over the year. Is this best qualified as other?
14. To clairfy I work for residents but I'm not an RA. instead I will be planning and hosting professional and academic oriented events and am referred to as a student leader? Does that change anything? If not should i stick with employment or other. I dont get "paid" but am compensated with a free room.
15. Completely merit!! But I feel like a lot of people get this at my uni, is it still worth mentioning?

A.Thank you so much, especially for the advice you have offered throughout the years!! :)

B.10 was a research program but also had professional development at a top med school. The research areas are also quite different and I am aiming for research oriented schools if the MCAT goes well. so I think its good to distinguish the two, what do you think?

C. I don't really have any interesting hobbies:/ I work out regularly and I watch movies a lot, and casually play intramurals but no long term commited hobby like archery or something. Do you think that's worht mentioning? I dont want to seem like I'm trying to fluff haha. I'm scared that my app comes off that way even though I pursued all these things because of genuine interest.

D) I keep hearing how more than 13 is really bad so I am worried haha.

E) Thanks for your feedback as well I guess I am just a little paranoid because i have been identified on here by people I don't know and who I do know because the activities are somewhat distinguishable so I tried to be generic as possible now.
2&3) I'm saying could be grouped. Not should. See how your space issues look next year.

5) You need a Shadowing space. If you have at least 50 other hours, you don't need to include the hours you mentioned, but the lecture/seminar stuff seems of little value so as to mention them, too.

9) Learning to be a leader in a program doesn't help your application. Applying what you learned and acting as a leader does. Why not group these leadership roles and mention the program as a back story, or not.

14) Yes, it sounds like a leadership role. It's still Employment, as you received other compensation in lieu of cash, but you also have the choice of calling it Leadership.

15) I generally recommend that one includes how competitive the award was and the criteria, so maybe not. You decide, maybe based on space constraints.

A) You're welcome.

B) If your stats make you a candidate for top research-oriented, highly competitive schools, then two spaces would be better. Otherwise, decide based on space restraints.

C) Your choice.

D) Don't be silly. 15 is fine if they aren't fluff.

Last edited:
2&3) I'm saying could be grouped. Not should. See how your space issues look next year.

5) You need a Shadowing space. If you have at least 50 other hours, you don't need to include the hours you mentioned, but the lecture/seminar stuff seems of little value so as to mention them, too.

9) Learning to be a leader in a program doesn't help your application. Applying what you learned and acting as a leader does. Why not group these leadership roles and mention the program as a back story, or not.

14) Yes, it sounds like a leadership role. It's still Employment, as you received other compensation in lieu of cash, but you also have the choice of calling it Leadership.

15) I generally recommend that one includes how competitive the award was and the criteria, so maybe not. You decide, maybe based on space constraints.

A) You're welcome.

B) If your stats make you a candidate for top research-oriented, highly competitive schools, then two spaces would be better. Otherwise, decide based on space restraints.

C) Your choice.

D) Don't be silly. 15 is fine if they aren't fluff.

E) Done, so quote and my response match. Please do likewise.

2&3: ah okay that makes sense! In the interest of brevity I will take your advice and group them. I can always use the description to explain the differences, and they both occurred during the same summer at different times.

5: Understood thank you for the candid feedback! I have almost double that so I will be sure to take your sage advice and make this its own space The lecture/seminar stuff was informative but I see your point. Since both programs were competitive would it make sense to put them and my college scholarship under an "Honors" tab? The programs are also linked to one of my dream schools so it would be nice if this was on my AMCAS.

9. I see your point, I guess its hard to fully describe what this program is since it's unique on campus and I am being vague. I think this would be a good use of the Other tab because it was a very multifaceted program with many varying elements beyond leadership development So I would be sure to highlight the leadership roles as well as the other things I took away from the program of which there were many! Does that sound reasonable?

14. Since I have other employment, I think I will go in the direction of calling it leadership to make sure that facet of my app is well defined!

B. Understood, time to hunker down for the last big hurdle (MCAT):bookworm:

C. Would it be safe to say that listing regularly working out, watching movies, and intramural sports would at worst be seen as neutral?

D. Thanks for the dose of reality!! I try my best to not feed into neuroticism but I fall short from time to time:p

E. Thank you I edited my original post to match what you edited your quote to. Please let me know if there was something else you meant!

2&3: ah okay that makes sense! In the interest of brevity I will take your advice and group them. I can always use the description to explain the differences, and they both occurred during the same summer at different times.

5: Understood thank you for the candid feedback! I have almost double that so I will be sure to take your sage advice and make this its own space The lecture/seminar stuff was informative but I see your point. Since both programs were competitive would it make sense to put them and my college scholarship under an "Honors" tab? The programs are also linked to one of my dream schools so it would be nice if this was on my AMCAS.

9. I see your point, I guess its hard to fully describe what this program is since it's unique on campus and I am being vague. I think this would be a good use of the Other tab because it was a very multifaceted program with many varying elements beyond leadership development So I would be sure to highlight the leadership roles as well as the other things I took away from the program of which there were many! Does that sound reasonable?

14. Since I have other employment, I think I will go in the direction of calling it leadership to make sure that facet of my app is well defined!

B. Understood, time to hunker down for the last big hurdle (MCAT):bookworm:

C. Would it be safe to say that listing regularly working out, watching movies, and intramural sports would at worst be seen as neutral?

D. Thanks for the dose of reality!! I try my best to not feed into neuroticism but I fall short from time to time:p
5) Great idea to put the scholarship and competitive program in one space, so you can keep all the shadowing together.

9) "Other" is a perfect tag for a multifaceted program.

C) You can make it better than neutral. Mention the genre of movies you most prefer. Discuss workout goals you've achieved and still strive for. If you're passionate about the sports you play, I'm sure you can talk about team relationships and how that makes you all better, or somesuch. Demonstrations of teamwork are a clear plus for an application. If you think your hobbies are boring, I will too. It's up to you to make it interesting.

Last edited:
5) Great idea to put the scholarship and competitive program in one space, so you can keep all the shadowing together.

9) "Other" is a perfect tag for a multifaceted program.

C) You can make it better than neutral. Mention the genre of movies you most prefer. Discuss workout goals you've achieved and still strive for. If you're passionate about the sports you play, I'm sure you can talk about team relationships and how that makes you all better, or somesuch. Demonstrations of teamwork are a clear plus for an application. If you think your hobbies are boring, I will too. It's up to you to make it interesting.

E) You could edit the end of post #1333, too.

Thank you so much for all the valuable insight!! I really really appreciate it, I hope you have a a great rest of the week! :)

OK, I'm halfway through all of my secondaries and just realized (after filling out my FAFSA for this year), that my original assumption that I worked as a tutor through 2015 was correct, but I put on my primary that it was through 2014 when i couldn't find my 2015 tax return. I underestimated by about 30 or 40 hours or so (at least) if not more. I don't feel too awful because I would much rather be under than over, but I'm not sure if I should match my CV to my primary application or keep it as I had originally had it with the correct date. Thoughts? I currently have 220 hours on my primary, so it's not like this is the end of the world (and I didn't OVER estimate, so that's good). I don't want to necessarily draw attention to the discrepancy. And now I feel like an idiot.

OK, I'm halfway through all of my secondaries and just realized (after filling out my FAFSA for this year), that my original assumption that I worked as a tutor through 2015 was correct, but I put on my primary that it was through 2014 when i couldn't find my 2015 tax return. I underestimated by about 30 or 40 hours or so (at least) if not more. I don't feel too awful because I would much rather be under than over, but I'm not sure if I should match my CV to my primary application or keep it as I had originally had it with the correct date. Thoughts? I currently have 220 hours on my primary, so it's not like this is the end of the world (and I didn't OVER estimate, so that's good). I don't want to necessarily draw attention to the discrepancy.
What CV?

A few schools are asking for CVs - I think I had my tutoring listed on it. I could remove it altogether, but I'm leaning toward just matching the primary.

I agree to matching them. Everything you've listed is true, just not complete.

Thanks! Aside from feeling like an idiot, I don't think this should have any serious implications. I was being really careful not to overestimate.

When writing about our experiences in the narrative space such as for "Hospice Volunteer" or "Hospital Volunteer", you mentioned that if you're from California then the approach is to spew as much as possible.

I'm from California myself and plan on doing this and had a couple of inquiries. Should we describe what we did/learned in the same way we would write it on a job resume (meaning should we make it succinct and to the point, or really reflect on it and make it more in depth?)

P.S. I left a comment yesterday but still haven't received a response to it (comment #1328). When you get a chance, can you please respond to it?

Thank you.

1. So for instance, if I was responsible for greeting patients and opening their car doors for them as they got dropped off at the hospital, would I simply list that as Hospital greeter? I would also look for wheelchairs for patients, take them to their appointments by either walking them or escorting them via a wheelchair. I'm wondering if this is a good name that would encompass everything I did, or if I should change it.

2. In another role I was responsible for approaching and interviewing patients about their life history and writing up a nice and decorated summary at the end. Would an experience name such as Patient Interviewer in Medical Surgical & Oncology Departments fully cover what I did there, or would you recommend a different name?

3. If I did volunteer work at UCLA such as a Care Extender but adcomms wouldn't know what that is, should I simply list it as "Hospital Volunteer" or is that too broad? I would rotate between different departments every 3-4 months and I would help patients with nonclinical needs, clerical needs for the nursing staff, and would also transport patients vs wheelchairs, gurneys (with the help of staff). I'm thinking Hospital volunteer would suffice and then I can just go on to describe what I did in the narrative space. What are your thoughts on that?

4. When using descriptions for experience name can we use "/"? For instance, can I write "Volunteer in the sleep apnea/pulmonary department"? Same question goes for organization name, can I put "Santa Monica/Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center"?

Thanks
1) I don't think the "Greeter" accurately reflects what you did. Maybe "Greeter and Transporter"?

2) "Patient Interviewer & Life-Story Transcriber"?

3) Sure.

4) Yes and yes.

1) When writing about our experiences in the narrative space such as for "Hospice Volunteer" or "Hospital Volunteer", you mentioned that if you're from California then the approach is to spew as much as possible.

I'm from California myself and plan on doing this and had a couple of inquiries. Should we describe what we did/learned in the same way we would write it on a job resume (meaning should we make it succinct and to the point, or really reflect on it and make it more in depth?)

2) P.S. I left a comment yesterday but still haven't received a response to it (comment #1328). When you get a chance, can you please respond to it?
1) That advice was contributed by a long-ago mod who happened to be from California, and come to think of it, he didn't get into any CA schools, so I don't know where he got the idea. Personally, I am from the "Be succinct" school of thought. Regardless, each description should be approached separately. Don't stick to the same formula for every space, as you might be forced to fluff it up. Some activities do best with a bare bones description as they are self-explanatory. Some lend themselves to a lot of introspection and leave you little room for description and role, and that's OK, too. Flow with it, as needed.

2) Oops, missed it. See response post above this one.

1) That advice was contributed by a long-ago mod who happened to be from California, and come to think of it, he didn't get into any CA schools, so I don't know where he got the idea. Personally, I am from the "Be succinct" school of thought. Regardless, each description should be approached separately. Don't stick to the same formula for every space, as you might be forced to fluff it up. Some activities do best with a bare bones description as they are self-explanatory. Some lend themselves to a lot of introspection and leave you little room for description and role, and that's OK, too. Flow with it, as needed.

2) Oops, missed it. See response post above this one.

Okay, thank you very much. Yeah, for instance, I'm currently writing about my Hospice experience and I pretty much used up all the space, but perhaps I shouldn't then? Is there any way I can send you a message in private so that I can get some feedback on the description for the activities as that would be even more helpful?

Thanks again!

Is there any way I can send you a message in private so that I can get some feedback on the description for the activities as that would be even more helpful?
Sorry, I don't review entries, and my PM box is closed anyway. I've seen members post in the main forum requesting that others review their Activities section, so you might try there. If you want examples of what others have written, I can give you links.

Sorry, I don't review entries, and my PM box is closed anyway. I've seen members post in the main forum requesting that others review their Activities section, so you might try there. If you want examples of what others have written, I can give you links.

Oh, I see, that's too bad. What's the link to the main forum, or what would I search for in the search box?

Also, can you provide me with links as well?

Thank you

Last edited:

Thank you very much for your thorough and steadfast response, it is greatly appreciated. I will go ahead and use these resources for getting feedback on my activities section. These look very helpful!

Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user
I also spent a lot of time in research. I wonder how does one demonstrate on the app that their research is more as a commitment in future medicine rather than giving the impression of "This candidate is better of with PhD?" I felt like there's an easy trap there for someone who had research-heavy EC to turn their research into a disservice.

Also, how to present research in a way that low-tier schools won't see it as "he/she is going to research powerhouse" and resulting a rejection?
I am responding here (Work/Activities Tips Thread) so as to not sidetrack the thread where you posted the question. Have you already submitted your AMCAS application for this season?

Hey, so I just came across a potentially huge issue last night after looking through my AMCAS Application!! I didn't realize that we had to provide our letter writers with letter request forms and I already had them send the letters through Interfolio. Here are my questions/concerns (if you need clarification or if it sounds too wordy/confusing, please let me know):

1. If I never provided them with a letter request form and they already submitted the letters, will this cause any sort of issue? Meaning do they need to have my AAMC ID or Letter ID prior to submitting my letter via Interfolio, and would I have to tell them to resubmit my letters all over again? Cant I simply generate a letter request form for each letter writer now and simply add the Letter ID for each Letter writer on my Interfolio account so that way I can make sure each letter is associated with its own Letter ID?

2. If the answer to the last question for question 1. above is a "yes" but for some reason I don't end up getting in this year or even end up applying this year would the letter ID's that I have generated this year still work when I submit my letters to AMCAS next year, or no? Meaning will I have to generate new Letter ID's if I do end up applying next year instead of this year?

I"m very confused about this part of the application so the more clarification you can provide, the better.

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Last edited:
Would you say that 31.5 hours is enough to list something as its own activity or no? I did volunteer work at an Inpatient Rehab Center and I'm trying to fit it in the same slot as Hospital Greeter & Transporter, but I'm exceeding the 700 character count.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.