*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the credit load easy to overlook when a student takes 15-25 credits every semester? I did almost every semester, and I'm wondering if it's worth pointing this out in my personal statement or similar, or if it's so obvious that there's no need to point it out?

(If there is a more appropriate thread for this, please let me know. I couldn't find one and didn't think this question was worth starting it's own thread.)
Gonnif's General AMCAS Info thread would have been a better choice, but I can think of a scenario where the Activities section might come into play. Keep in mind that the transcript summary is displayed year by year and includes the summer before (usually). AMCAS also gives you the option of breaking years down by number of credits, so unless there is reason to micro-analyze your entire transcript (low GPA, steep rising trend, a zillion credits, etc) it might not be noticed. Personally, I don't think taking below 18 credits is worth pointing out. Nor would a higher course load be notable if your GPA was meh.

How many semesters did you take 18+ credits? For how many of those were you on the deans list or earned a 3.7+?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Does it appear on your transcript? If so, then no. If not, convince me it benefits your application.

2) No. Don't include it unless it was original, hypothesis-driven research which added new knowledge and was potentially publishable.

3) Yes, leave them out. If you get a new position where you use those certificates, then you can mention them, say, on a Secondary or in a future Update Letter.

Here is a brief list of my work/activities:

Leadership:
Started a student organization called United Against Inequities in Disease (UAID) that teaches elementary students about healthy cooking and nutrition in low-income areas of Baltimore City where healthy food options are limited

Community Service- Medical
Health Leads: help patients connect to basic resources such as applying for food stamps, finding affordable housing, or appyling fro medicaid at a children's clinic.

Global Public Health/Medical Brigades- provided pro-bono medical services in rural areas in Honduras. Also helped built a cooking stove for a family to reduce indoor smoke.

Community Service- Non-Medical
Alpha Phi Omega is a co-ed service fraternity

Alternative Spring Break in Baltimore focusing on food justice
Honors/Awards
Goodyear Award- public health department gave me money to stay in Baltimore over the summer to continue volunteering in local elementary schools about healthy cooking.

Goodman Award- school provided me $700 to make a culinary medicine book

Dean's List

Graduating with Public Health Honors

Hobbies: cooking, dancing, hiking

Other: Spoon University: student club that shares food recipes to peers on social media

Teaching: I am a mentor for Baltimore city public high school students who are interested in pursuing a career in health care.

Research:
-co-authored 2 manuscripts on MFG-E8 a protein found in breast milk and its protective effects on neonatal sepsis. Basic science/laboratory research
- Presented a poster at DREAMS, an undergraduate research symposium at my university
-Presented a poster at the Annual Feinstein Institute Retreat

Shadowing: surgical oncologist 50h, reconstructive plastic surgeon 50h, pediatrician 40h

The AMPHS clinical training program is a paid class that is offered outside of school so it's not on my transcript. Half of the program is training for ACLS/BLS certifications (ECG, First Aid, Pharmacology, CPR/AED) and the other half of the program focused on public health research, health policy and administration. The program is 4h per week for 10 weeks over the summer so a total of 40 hours, not including time put into studying for the ACLS exams and working on the class paper. I was thinking the ACLS/BLS training shows that I have great interest in hands on activities. I love cooking because it is very hands-on and medicine is also very hands-on. But this is probably a weak reason to put on the application.

As a public health major, I thought maybe the program can highlight the dual nature of public health and medicine and why I want to pursue medicine. For the research paper I wrote for the class, I talked about the lack of access to healthy foods in NYC neighborhoods.

However, the linkage between public health and clinical medicine is pretty obvious in general. The program taught public health material that I already learned from my undergraduate classes which are on my transcript. My student organization and community service also emphasize my work to improve dietary behavior and the overall health of people in underserved areas. So, I am not sure if I should squeeze in a paid class program taken outside my university as an EC if it doesn't add much to my application.

Should I list my hobby of gardening?
I have plenty of high quality ECs so this would really just be for something unique to stand out and maybe talk abt at an interview. I have no other hobbies listed. It includes developing gravity fed irrigation systems, creating organic soil mixes, seed saving techniques, composting/worm farming.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm debating whether or not to include a educational, classroom-based program.
convince me it benefits your application.
The AMPHS clinical training program is a paid class that is offered outside of school so it's not on my transcript. Half of the program is training for ACLS/BLS certifications (ECG, First Aid, Pharmacology, CPR/AED) and the other half of the program focused on public health research, health policy and administration. The program is 4h per week for 10 weeks over the summer so a total of 40 hours, not including time put into studying for the ACLS exams and working on the class paper. I was thinking the ACLS/BLS training shows that I have great interest in hands on activities. I love cooking because it is very hands-on and medicine is also very hands-on. But this is probably a weak reason to put on the application.

As a public health major, I thought maybe the program can highlight the dual nature of public health and medicine and why I want to pursue medicine. For the research paper I wrote for the class, I talked about the lack of access to healthy foods in NYC neighborhoods.

However, the linkage between public health and clinical medicine is pretty obvious in general. The program taught public health material that I already learned from my undergraduate classes which are on my transcript. My student organization and community service also emphasize my work to improve dietary behavior and the overall health of people in underserved areas. So, I am not sure if I should squeeze in a paid class program taken outside my university as an EC if it doesn't add much to my application.
Actually, you've talked me into it. it sounds interesting enough to be a plus on your application if you tie it all together just as you have here. The "Other" tag would be most appropriate, since it's such a mixed bag of sub-components.

Should I list my hobby of gardening?
I have plenty of high quality ECs so this would really just be for something unique to stand out and maybe talk abt at an interview. I have no other hobbies listed. It includes developing gravity fed irrigation systems, creating organic soil mixes, seed saving techniques, composting/worm farming.
Totally cool. Definitely include it. Put in some information about some interesting plants you like to foster. (I love coreopsis, BTW. And I know a worm farmer in MO. )

Actually, you've talked me into it. it sounds interesting enough to be a plus on your application if you tie it all together just as you have here. The "Other" tag would be most appropriate, since it's such a mixed bag of sub-components.

Thank you. My concern is I didn't gain a clear connection between public health and medicine from this program. The name of the program puts it together but the actual material was taught separately. The medicine aspect was all ACLS training and the public health aspect was a few classes on health law and administration plus my paper assignment on a public health issue. There was no clear linkage between the Two disciplines. They were all included but not really connected. I would have to connect the two myself but program is something that sounds cohesive...

Sorry if I didn't explain it well enough in the previous post. I have lots of stuff to out in the work/activities section. So do you recommend me to add it? Should I mention the hands on stuff?

Sorry if this was answered before: If I had multiple leadership positions for a campus organization, do I list all of them by year or just the highest position? (Ex. Treasurer as freshman/secretary as soph/president as junior).

Thank you. My concern is I didn't gain a clear connection between public health and medicine from this program. The name of the program puts it together but the actual material was taught separately. The medicine aspect was all ACLS training and the public health aspect was a few classes on health law and administration plus my paper assignment on a public health issue. There was no clear linkage between the Two disciplines. They were all included but not really connected. I would have to connect the two myself but program is something that sounds cohesive...

Sorry if I didn't explain it well enough in the previous post. I have lots of stuff to out in the work/activities section.
1) So do you recommend me to add it?
2) Should I mention the hands on stuff?
1) If you can tie it together with all your goals.
2) See if you have the space. I don't feel it's critical or adds to your candidacy. You could refer to them in aggregate as "multiple life support certifications."

Sorry if this was answered before: If I had multiple leadership positions for a campus organization, do I list all of them by year or just the highest position? (Ex. Treasurer as freshman/secretary as soph/president as junior).
List them by year. It shows a progression in responsibility and leadership capabilities. The name you give the activity can refer to Multiple Leadership Roles for XXXX Group.

Hi everyone! I have a new Activities thing that I'm going around and around about: to reflect, or not to reflect?

I have been out of school a long time and have a long work history in a non-medical field that I don't think I should just lump into one entry. I'm planning to list four positions that gave me important transferable skills (e.g., first job demonstrates teamwork and ability to handle stress and long hours) or represent key insights (e.g., resigned from a plum position because it was interfering with my postbac, the point being that even with everything I could possibly ask for in a job in that field, I still wanted to change to medicine, and in fact that resignation marked a big milestone on this journey, so I have a sentence to that effect).

Are the "just the facts" and the "don't bother listing it if you're not going to reflect on it" camps about evenly split? If so, I think I'd rather risk trying a reader's patience here and there than leave them confused as to why I'm making the switch. Of course I spell things out in my PS, but some readers will be seeing just the Activities.

Your thoughts and advice welcome!

Hi everyone! I have a new Activities thing that I'm going around and around about: to reflect, or not to reflect?

I have been out of school a long time and have a long work history in a non-medical field that I don't think I should just lump into one entry. I'm planning to list four positions that gave me important transferable skills (e.g., first job demonstrates teamwork and ability to handle stress and long hours) or represent key insights (e.g., resigned from a plum position because it was interfering with my postbac, the point being that even with everything I could possibly ask for in a job in that field, I still wanted to change to medicine, and in fact that resignation marked a big milestone on this journey, so I have a sentence to that effect).

Are the "just the facts" and the "don't bother listing it if you're not going to reflect on it" camps about evenly split? If so, I think I'd rather risk trying a reader's patience here and there than leave them confused as to why I'm making the switch. Of course I spell things out in my PS, but some readers will be seeing just the Activities.

Your thoughts and advice welcome!
Some activities and experiences don't provide for much one can reflect on that isn't obvious. Others might seem incomplete if some sort of insight isn't mentioned. Best to comment on what flows naturally and not force it.

But, that said, you do need to address the elephant in the room about why a successful high-earner (making a leap here) was drawn to start all over again.

Pro Tip: Don't say negative things about the previous career, rather dwell on what is it about medicine that so compels you that you had to move toward it.

Reactions: 1 user
you do need to address the elephant in the room about why a successful high-earner (making a leap here) was drawn to start all over again.

Pro Tip: Don't say negative things about the previous career, rather dwell on what is it about medicine that so compels you that you had to move toward it.

Ok good, I think so too. The simple reason is that I felt like I'd finished the job - top of the ladder, no new intellectual challenges, and never that passionate about it to begin with. I had a catalytic (no pun intended!) experience that led me to starting looking into medicine and by the time I'd gotten that last position, I found myself just frustrated that it was keeping me from finishing my prereqs.

Many of my other entries are indeed just the facts and I'm not trying to force reflection everywhere, but it seems like any entry about the field I'm leaving needs to include at least some answer to, "This job sounds great, why give it up?" Sounds like you agree, so - thank you again for your thoughtful advice!

1) Since you also participated in research during college, you can add it, with the below caveat:

2) You would be better served to list the research and the first place award under a Research tag, but mention the poster and award in the name you give the activity (eg, Starfish Regeneration Project with First Place Poster Award. It's fine if the research description is bare bones, since it took place awhile back. If you instead list it under Awards or Presentations/Posters, you will highlight that you had no further evidence of research productivity at the college level.

***If you had no college-level research, I'd have advised leaving it off the application, as the HS experience is of value only in showing your forward momentum in developing research skills.

Thank you very much, Catalystik! One thing I should point out in case it changes your advice--
If you instead list it under Awards or Presentations/Posters, you will highlight that you had no further evidence of research productivity at the college level.
I did have two publications in college (well, one from research done the summer before freshman year) and attended a major conference (just attended). It seems that your advice still stands, but I just want to check.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do I put in for organization for awards/recognition/honors section. I got some from my school and work. Can I just add both like "School Name and Work Name"

what do I put in for organization for awards/recognition/honors section. I got some from my school and work. Can I just add both like "School Name and Work Name"
Whichever recognitions you consider to have the most benefit to your application, put that in the header for organization. Put the other in the narrative space with its dates, and contact, then list those awards.

One thing I should point out in case it changes your advice--

I did have two publications in college (well, one from research done the summer before freshman year) and attended a major conference (just attended). It seems that your advice still stands, but I just want to check.
I wouldn't list a conference at which you neither presented or provided organizational efforts. I assume you mainly went to attend educational sessions?

Besides what I suggested for the HS research, you'd have two other research experiences plus two publications, but no other posters? How do you propose to organize them all?

I wouldn't list a conference at which you neither presented or provided organizational efforts. I assume you mainly went to attend educational sessions?

Besides what I suggested for the HS research, you'd have two other research experiences plus two publications, but no other posters? How do you propose to organize them all?

Thank you, Catalystik! Yes, that's right. I applied for and was awarded a stipend from my college to go. And yes, no other posters.

1) Research - Bone metastatic cancer biology student - past two years. I guess I will mention resulted in pub, and same for (2). For credit but also volunteer in summers
2) Research - NASA summer project on bone microenvironment - before freshman year
3) Research - Bone project with first place award - HS
*MM 4) Publication - First author, textbook chapter - this is from research in (1). cite, Abstract: [paste abstract] (or no?), impact on me
*MM 5) Publication - Peer-reviewed journal article - from (2). cite, Abstract: [paste abstract] (or no?), impact on me

. . . while I'm here . . .

6) Shadow - Shadow: various physicians
7) Clinical Volunteer - Volunteer at free health care clinic
8) EC - Executive member of premedical honors/service fraternity
9) Awards/Recognition - Certification in bioethics in pre-health professions - only took about 20 hours across 4 dinners plus assignments but we would discuss issues in medicine in reference to assigned book/documentary. It was run by my college.
0) Conferences - 2016 American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting - removing
0) Other - Understudy of president of medical university - 3 weeks during HS. Sounds like I should just mention this in my secondary, at least at the medical school I want to go to where he worked. Especially because they place heavy emphasis on 'close ties.'
10) Hobbies - Basketball and chess - bball intramural and recreation, chess growing up with grandfather and now online at chess.com
0) EC - selective leadership group only open to members for one semester unless they want to become a director (I did not), and biology honors society that had no involvement - leaving out

Also, I just accepted a job as a medical scribe, but do not start until August. I will include this in secondaries/interviews after I have already started.

Also also, someone who just graduated from my #1 school said he would write an additional LOR for me. Pros - He worked in admissions and has a great relationship with them. He also matched in the field that the dean of admissions works in (and so knows him fairly well). Cons - He has known me well as a person since I was a kid and so can speak to my character, but has minimal first-hand knowledge about me in a work/academic/clinical environment. He also just graduated. Should I accept his offer? I think not because an extra LOR might make me look like I'm trying to compensate (although my MCAT is 5-6 points lower than their accepted average (retaking July 22)).

-sman

Hello! I was wondering if you could give me advice on how to classify an EC of mine?

I have been working as an advocate for immigrants who are trying to gain permanent residency/citizenship in the USA. Basically, I volunteer at bi-monthly events, where I fill out the necessary initial paperwork and give them an idea of what to expect for the rest of the process (e.g., citizenship test, filing costs, any potential legal issues, etc.). Most are only Spanish-speaking so I also usually help translate. Would you classify this as non-clinical volunteering or as leadership? Quite frankly my application is lacking leadership so I'd like to spin it as leadership if I can, but I also don't want to be misleading.

Thank you, Catalystik! Yes, that's right. I applied for and was awarded a stipend from my college to go. And yes, no other posters.

1) Research - Bone metastatic cancer biology student - past two years. I guess I will mention resulted in pub, and same for (2). For credit but also volunteer in summers
2) Research - NASA summer project on bone microenvironment - before freshman year
3) Research - Bone project with first place award - HS
*MM 4) Publication - First author, textbook chapter - this is from research in (1). cite, Abstract: [paste abstract] (or no?), impact on me
*MM 5) Publication - Peer-reviewed journal article - from (2). cite, Abstract: [paste abstract] (or no?), impact on me

. . . while I'm here . . .

6) Shadow - Shadow: various physicians
7) Clinical Volunteer - Volunteer at free health care clinic
8) EC - Executive member of premedical honors/service fraternity
9) Awards/Recognition - Certification in bioethics in pre-health professions - only took about 20 hours across 4 dinners plus assignments but we would discuss issues in medicine in reference to assigned book/documentary. It was run by my college.
0.1) Conferences - 2016 American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting - removing
0.2) Other - Understudy of president of medical university - 3 weeks during HS. Sounds like I should just mention this in my secondary, at least at the medical school I want to go to where he worked. Especially because they place heavy emphasis on 'close ties.'
10) Hobbies - Basketball and chess - bball intramural and recreation, chess growing up with grandfather and now online at chess.com
0.3) EC - selective leadership group only open to members for one semester unless they want to become a director (I did not), and biology honors society that had no involvement - leaving out

Also, I just accepted a job as a medical scribe, but do not start until August. I will include this in secondaries/interviews after I have already started.

0.4) Also also, someone who just graduated from my #1 school said he would write an additional LOR for me. Pros - He worked in admissions and has a great relationship with them. He also matched in the field that the dean of admissions works in (and so knows him fairly well). Cons - He has known me well as a person since I was a kid and so can speak to my character, but has minimal first-hand knowledge about me in a work/academic/clinical environment. He also just graduated. Should I accept his offer? I think not because an extra LOR might make me look like I'm trying to compensate (although my MCAT is 5-6 points lower than their accepted average (retaking July 22)).

-sman
[First off, if your SDN avatar is a photo of you, please change it, as we strive for anonymity here.]

Comments:

3) I'd keep it as we discussed.
4) & 5) Do not paste the abstract. Brief summary is fine. Give strong consideration to putting the two pubs in one space. Making each of two publications an MM looks odd. If you want to keep two publication spaces, consider dropping MM status on one. JMO.

9)/0.1) You could put the stipend for conference travel under Awards if you wish. Attending the conference isn't as important as the fact that you were deemed worthy of shelling out cash so you could go.

0.2) I agree this is better saved for a Secondary for that specific school.

10) Be sure to keep your grandfather in the story. makes it more interesting.

0.4) Sounds desperate. Don't do it, unless the school is one of the few that asks for a peer letter.

***************Question? No other candidates for MM?

Hello! I was wondering if you could give me advice on how to classify an EC of mine?

I have been working as an advocate for immigrants who are trying to gain permanent residency/citizenship in the USA. Basically, I volunteer at bi-monthly events, where I fill out the necessary initial paperwork and give them an idea of what to expect for the rest of the process (e.g., citizenship test, filing costs, any potential legal issues, etc.). Most are only Spanish-speaking so I also usually help translate. Would you classify this as non-clinical volunteering or as leadership? Quite frankly my application is lacking leadership so I'd like to spin it as leadership if I can, but I also don't want to be misleading.
I'd call it a Community Service. It would be leadership if you recruit, train, &/or monitor and oversee the efforts of others who do the same work. Be sure to highlight the Spanish translation component.

I have an activity that is a significant time expenditure (>600 hrs) that is non-clinical volunteering but I also played a leadership role. I am inclined to list it as volunteering, but I have nothing in the "leadership" category. Is using the term "lead" in the description sufficient? Should I say "200 of my hours was in a leadership role" or something along those lines?

I have an activity that is a significant time expenditure (>600 hrs) that is non-clinical volunteering but I also played a leadership role. I am inclined to list it as volunteering, but I have nothing in the "leadership" category. Is using the term "lead" in the description sufficient? Should I say "200 of my hours was in a leadership role" or something along those lines?
Why not specify the leadership role in the title along with the type of volunteerism, like, for Meals on Wheels under Community Service - Not Medicial/Clinical: Home-Bound Meal Deliveries & Group Trainer and Coordinator, or somesuch. Then, do break down in the narrative the hours given to leading along with a description of that separate role.

[First off, if your SDN avatar is a photo of you, please change it, as we strive for anonymity here.]

Comments:

3) I'd keep it as we discussed.
4) & 5) Do not paste the abstract. Brief summary is fine. Give strong consideration to putting the two pubs in one space. Making each of two publications an MM looks odd. If you want to keep two publication spaces, consider dropping MM status on one. JMO.

9)/0.1) You could put the stipend for conference travel under Awards if you wish. Attending the conference isn't as important as the fact that you were deemed worthy of shelling out cash so you could go.

0.2) I agree this is better saved for a Secondary for that specific school.

10) Be sure to keep your grandfather in the story. makes it more interesting.

0.4) Sounds desperate. Don't do it, unless the school is one of the few that asks for a peer letter.

***************Question? No other candidates for MM?

Thank you, Catalystik.

I have had trouble deciding on MMs. I had both publications labelled MM to make sure they saw them because I know they like that, but I agree it is odd. I like your advice to combine them and make that an MM.

Other possibilities, using same numbers as before:
(1) 2 year research (300hrs- conservative estimate. my longest commitment, but research is already highlighted by pubs and a main topic of my PS along with shadowing).
(6) Shadow (145 hrs, nothing special to say other than list doctors).
(8) Exec of premed frat (70 hrs, MM draft below)

AED is available to student application after they have reached the Spring of their Sophomore year, have above a 3.4 GPA, and have completed a certain number of prerequisite courses. Once accepted, I first pledged for a semester where we met weekly and volunteered for 20 hours at the local Alzheimer's center. Upon initiation, I was elected by my peers on to the executive team of 10 members. We met weekly to plan events for premedical students to learn more about the path to medical school and the career as a physician, to participate in philanthropic events on campus, or to volunteer.

Specifically, I co-organized a gap year panel and then a pathway to pre-med panel by myself. Invited speakers included representatives from organizations like Teach for America and Fulbright Scholarship as well as students who had been accepted to medical school, respectively. My co-leader and I first met to plan and delegate responsibilities. We invited the speakers, circulated email invitations to students, reserved an auditorium, secured organizational funds for catering, recruited members to post flyers and help set up the room, and moderated the event. I then repeated the process for the second panel. They were both successful and had larger turnouts than expected.

Some of my most valuable tips in college came from older students, so I wanted to pay the favor forward. The experience taught me that hosting an event requires detailed organization and planning, but it was worth it to see my peers benefit from attending.

I think I should go with (6) and (8).

I completed an unpaid clinical internship. It was technically regarded as a practicum experience for my major, and I received P/F credit for it. It was full time for a semester, and I had actual responsibilities and tasks I completed (ie I did not "shadow" at all). I had this listed as community service/volunteer because it was unpaid, but I do not want anyone to think I am trying to be misleading and oversell any altruism because it was required. Should I leave it classified in that category? Or switched to paid employment and explain it was more like unpaid employment?
Your choices would be the Other tag (which internships usually go under since they are generally multi-factorial) or Volunteer. I feel that since it was required, it was not "volunteer." LizzyM feels that you ~had the choice to take the major with its required class, or not, so it's eligible for the Volunteer tag. A compromise between the two choices would be to call it Volunteer but label it in the name of the activity as XXXX Clinical Internship for ________ Class. It will be on your transcript (and the dates will match), so if you clearly identify the internship's purpose, you would be less likely to be accused of trying to upsell the activity.

Thank you, Catalystik.

I have had trouble deciding on MMs. I had both publications labelled MM to make sure they saw them because I know they like that, but I agree it is odd. I like your advice to combine them and make that an MM.

Other possibilities, using same numbers as before:
(1) 2 year research (300hrs- conservative estimate. my longest commitment, but research is already highlighted by pubs and a main topic of my PS along with shadowing).
(6) Shadow (145 hrs, nothing special to say other than list doctors).
(8) Exec of premed frat (70 hrs, MM draft below)

AED is available to student application after they have reached the Spring of their Sophomore year, have above a 3.4 GPA, and have completed a certain number of prerequisite courses. Once accepted, I first pledged for a semester where we met weekly and volunteered for 20 hours at the local Alzheimer's center. Upon initiation, I was elected by my peers on to the executive team of 10 members. We met weekly to plan events for premedical students to learn more about the path to medical school and the career as a physician, to participate in philanthropic events on campus, or to volunteer.

Specifically, I co-organized a gap year panel and then a pathway to pre-med panel by myself. Invited speakers included representatives from organizations like Teach for America and Fulbright Scholarship as well as students who had been accepted to medical school, respectively. My co-leader and I first met to plan and delegate responsibilities. We invited the speakers, circulated email invitations to students, reserved an auditorium, secured organizational funds for catering, recruited members to post flyers and help set up the room, and moderated the event. I then repeated the process for the second panel. They were both successful and had larger turnouts than expected.

Some of my most valuable tips in college came from older students, so I wanted to pay the favor forward. The experience taught me that hosting an event requires detailed organization and planning, but it was worth it to see my peers benefit from attending.

I think I should go with (6) and (8).
Picking 6 and 8 sounds good.

Can you direct me to an excellent example of how someone filled out the Activities section of AMCAS? Or to multiple examples?

"Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere"

I noticed that the only leadership classification on the drop down bar includes, "not listed elsewhere." So if I have a most meaningful experience, or two of them, that are clearly leadership should I avoid that classification?

"Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere"

I noticed that the only leadership classification on the drop down bar includes, "not listed elsewhere." So if I have a most meaningful experience, or two of them, that are clearly leadership should I avoid that classification?
Many activities have embedded leadership, or over the years, one assumes a leadership role. If a student wants to list more than just the years and hours of the leadership, then it's better to leave the leadership with the affiliated activity and call it, Habitat for Humanity General Work Crew and Chair of Finance Committee, eg. Or Pre-Med Club Involvement with Multiple Officer Positions. Or Lopez Project Lab Tech and Trainer of New Research Assistants. or Student Senate Member, Vice president, and President-Elect.

If you want a dedicated leadership-only space, you would split out the leadership hours and not include volunteering, social activities, or general meeting involvement in those hours. Nor would you include the dates in the header of any activity preceding the assumption of leadership. You could however, refer to the previous involvement briefly in the narrative as the back story, eg, "After a year as a general member in a campus baseball club, I was elected Captain, and . . . . "

So if you had a leadership role that you want to make MM, but don't need to include preceding dates and hours to make the activity substantial, and you will only be talking about the impact, insights, etc of leadership in that space, then you could use Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere.

@Catalystik , thanks for all the help you've provided! I have a quick question regarding "physician shadowing/clinical observation." I do have formal physician shadowing, but I also had the opportunity to learn and observe physicians while I was a clinical volunteer (so essentially observed physicians perform procedures/evals). Could I include these hours under the category even though it wasn't "formal" shadowing?

@Catalystik , thanks for all the help you've provided! I have a quick question regarding "physician shadowing/clinical observation." I do have formal physician shadowing, but I also had the opportunity to learn and observe physicians while I was a clinical volunteer (so essentially observed physicians perform procedures/evals). Could I include these hours under the category even though it wasn't "formal" shadowing?
You can't double count the hours. But if you don't want to subtract that time from the other entry, you could instead say at the bottom of the Shadowing description space something like, " Also observed physicians interacting with patients in a volunteer setting for XX additional hours which are listed elsewhere." Then in the Volunteer space, you'd add to the name you give the activity: & Shadowing. You'd also put a note that about X% of the above hours allowed for direct physician-patient observation while assisting.

If your formal shadowing is way too sparse (<40 hours) and you want those informal hours (or some of them) added to the Shadowing hours listed in the header, then you have a tough choice to make about subtracting those hours from the affiliated Volunteer Total Hours.

You can't double count the hours. But if you don't want to subtract that time from the other entry, you could instead say at the bottom of the Shadowing description space something like, " Also observed physicians interacting with patients in a volunteer setting for XX additional hours which are listed elsewhere." Then in the Volunteer space, you'd add to the name you give the activity: & Shadowing. You'd also put a note that about X% of the above hours allowed for direct physician-patient observation while assisting.

If your formal shadowing is way too sparse (<40 hours) and you want those informal hours (or some of them) added to the Shadowing hours listed in the header, then you have a tough choice to make about subtracting those hours from the affiliated Volunteer Total Hours.

Thanks for this advice @Catalystik , my clinical volunteering hours are actually in a place I want them to be where taking ~5-10 hours off for shadowing would appear to be more beneficial.

Quick question, so I worked in 2 labs in my undergrad. One of which is going to be my most meaningful but the other won't. Should I split these up into 2 different activities? Or have them under one research and just expand upon my meaningful one in the meaningful section? If I do split them up, I would be at 15 activities, if not at 14 and I would still have space for a hobby I wanted to put in which is fitness, sports, and stuff like that. Any thoughts?

Quick question, so I worked in 2 labs in my undergrad. One of which is going to be my most meaningful but the other won't. Should I split these up into 2 different activities? Or have them under one research and just expand upon my meaningful one in the meaningful section? If I do split them up, I would be at 15 activities, if not at 14 and I would still have space for a hobby I wanted to put in which is fitness, sports, and stuff like that. Any thoughts?
I consider Hobbies to be an important inclusion to an application. So I'd support consideration of grouping the two research experiences and perhaps, in part, trying to generalize some of the MM comments to cover research in general or some other element common to the two activities.

I have a quick question that is somewhat similar to a previous question. I did clinical research work on the ER and then at the end of my shift I would informally shadow the attendings for a few hours. My question is: would it be weird if I had the names of all the specialists that I've shadowed, but then for the informal shadowing, wrote "observed many residents and attendings in the ER for X hours"? Or is that typically what's done?

I have a quick question that is somewhat similar to a previous question. I did clinical research work on the ER and then at the end of my shift I would informally shadow the attendings for a few hours. My question is: would it be weird if I had the names of all the specialists that I've shadowed, but then for the informal shadowing, wrote "observed many residents and attendings in the ER for X hours"? Or is that typically what's done?
It's fine to do what you suggest. You might add some of their specialties, as well, or state that they were ED staff.

@Catalystik To list or not to list "hours/wk" for activities of which this is relevant?
Until a few years ago hours/week were required for most activities. Many long-term adcomms are used to seeing it and like to know. As it stands now, you'd want to include it, say, if your level of involvement changed between the academic year and the summer months, or varied for some other reason. If you have the space and choose to include it otherwise, that would be fine, as then we don't have to do the math in our heads.

Should you include gap year activities in your amcas? Even if they havnt started yet? Im either going to work full time in a clinic or pursue a masters degree. I dont know if I should put that as an activity on my primary because I know secondaries sometimes have a gap year prompt.

Thanks!

Should you include gap year activities in your amcas? Even if they havnt started yet? Im either going to work full time in a clinic or pursue a masters degree. I dont know if I should put that as an activity on my primary because I know secondaries sometimes have a gap year prompt.
I don't think possible future activities belong in either place if they aren't sure to happen. Perhaps by the time Secondaries arrive you'll have sorted things out. If not, Update Letters are another means through which one can relay this type of information, for those schools that accept them.

I have a question about my work activities. During around when I shadowed an Endocrinologist who now I work as a medical assistant for, I also assisted him with his research. Mainly what I did was gather glucose numbers for a certain population of people in a 1 month period, then organize the numbers into different categories. Afterwards, I would help him create charts, basically putting all those numbers into nice little bar charts. Could I consider this as research as well? It hasn't been presented yet, but it does build off previous data that was gathered (Not by me).

Do I list clinical volunteer over the summer and scribe work throughout the past year in the same clinic as one activity or separate? I have 13 activites so I have room to separate the two but I don't want it to seem as though I am just filling out slots.

I have a question about my work activities. During around when I shadowed an Endocrinologist who now I work as a medical assistant for, I also assisted him with his research. Mainly what I did was gather glucose numbers for a certain population of people in a 1 month period, then organize the numbers into different categories. Afterwards, I would help him create charts, basically putting all those numbers into nice little bar charts. Could I consider this as research as well? It hasn't been presented yet, but it does build off previous data that was gathered (Not by me).
You can divide the hours into three spaces, if you feel they are strong enough: Shadowing, Research/Lab (if you have an understanding of the hypothesis-based, original research that was being conducted), and Employment as a medical assistant. Don't double count the hours.

Do I list clinical volunteer over the summer and scribe work throughout the past year in the same clinic as one activity or separate? I have 13 activites so I have room to separate the two but I don't want it to seem as though I am just filling out slots.
If one was paid (I assume, the scribing might have been) and one was volunteer, they are in two very different categories, so I'd suggest using two spaces, even though they took place at the same institution.

If both were volunteer, they could be grouped into the same space.

If one was paid (I assume, the scribing might have been) and one was volunteer, they are in two very different categories, so I'd suggest using two spaces, even though they took place at the same institution.

If both were volunteer, they could be grouped into the same space.
Woah thanks for the quick reply! I will list them as two separate entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.