*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm confused about entering summer classes in AMCAS...I think I put them in wrong. I took a PSYC class Summer 2012 (which would come under my freshman year, since AMCAS lists summer classes as the start of the year right?). I put year 2012-2013 for this.

I also took summer classes in Summer 2013 before my sophomore year. So would this come under year 2012-2013? Or year range 2013-2014?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Summers are the start of the school year.
So if your Psych class was taken in the summer right after HS, it would Freshman. If it was taken after your actual freshman year it would be Sophomore .
Your Summer class in 2013 would be part of 2013-2014 school year

Thank you for clarifying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, this might be a stupid question but how much does formatting matter? Does it make a difference if I put BIOL 104 vs BIOL-104 in my course number section? I think AMCAS used a dash in their example, but I didn't include this when I filled it out, so I'm wondering if I need to change all my courses to include dashes now. Should I also include the section number like BIOL 104 (03) or no?

I'm confused about entering summer classes in AMCAS...I think I put them in wrong. I took a PSYC class Summer 2012 (which would come under my freshman year, since AMCAS lists summer classes as the start of the year right?). I put year 2012-2013 for this.

I also took summer classes in Summer 2013 before my sophomore year. So would this come under year 2012-2013? Or year range 2013-2014?

the summer classes begin the next years cycle of coursework. A 2012 class is 2012-2013 and 2013 class is 2013-2014

Found here -
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...4cd0638/2018_amcas_instruction_manual-web.pdf page 36

Academic Year and Term These fields show the Academic Year and Term during which you took a course. The AMCAS year begins with summer and ends with spring. Courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous year. For example, if you took a course in the first summer session of 2014, you should enter it as 2014–2015 academic year, even if your school considers it in the 2013–2014 academic year.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, this might be a stupid question but how much does formatting matter? Does it make a difference if I put BIOL 104 vs BIOL-104 in my course number section? I think AMCAS used a dash in their example, but I didn't include this when I filled it out, so I'm wondering if I need to change all my courses to include dashes now. Should I also include the section number like BIOL 104 (03) or no?

Copy it exactly as stated on your transcript - general rule of thumb for basically everything lol

Copy it exactly as stated on your transcript - general rule of thumb for basically everything lol

Hmm, I was just looking at their video, and AMCAS said to include everything exactly as it appears on my transcript but to not include the section number. On my transcript, it includes it as BIOL 104/03. So I guess I would just put BIOL 104 without the dash or 03? lol

As @DBC03 has noted, you note the dates inclusive and just list the courses. While you can list future courses, there is no obligation to do so. Schools do not look for prereq fulfillment during the admissions process

Thanks! Good to know.

Hmm, I was just looking at their video, and AMCAS said to include everything exactly as it appears on my transcript but to not include the section number. On my transcript, it includes it as BIOL 104/03. So I guess I would just put BIOL 104 without the dash or 03?

Personally, I would just copy it all since the Manual says to - and doesn't say anything about leaving it out (I always just assume the manual is more up-to-date than the videos).

That being said, part of me wants to say it doesn't matter and leaving out the section should be fine but let @gonnif chime in on this one. My guess is he'll say just copy it exactly, if the class is listed as BIOL 104/03 - write that. The reason I believe he'll say copy it exactly is because this is mainly for verification and the people who are verifying are just looking at the name of the class on the transcript + what is entered online, making sure it matches and everything is kosher, then moving on.

It just might

1) No section number unless it is a direct part of the course number (ie BIO103.8)
2) If your transcripts had a dash, I would have left it in but it probably wont be an issue however note that AMCAS says

View attachment 219848

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...2018_amcas_instruction_manual-web.pdf#page=38

Course Number and Course Name
Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number as they appear on the official transcript in the designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation. This information is critical for AMCAS to verify each course on the official transcript and for the medical school(s) to evaluate your application.

Course numbers should include all letters and numbers associated with the course, i.e., BIO 101. If a course number does not fit in the space provided, include the last eight digits. Decimal points, if part of the course number on your official transcript, should be included when entering the course number.

Okay, so this is how a course is listed on my transcript:

BIOL 104 / 03 UG Principles of Biology I

So, on AMCAS, I would put "BIOL 104" without the dash, "/03" or the "UG" correct?

Also, my Biochemistry course is listed as BIOL 470 UG General Biochemistry. I originally classified this as "Biology." However, I looked at the AMCAS course classification guide and it says Biochemistry should be classified as Chemistry. Should I change it to Chemistry classification even if my course name is BIOL?

Thanks again!

When do we start receiving secondaries?

When do we start receiving secondaries?

You won't receive anything until June 30th at the very earliest.

From June 1st-June 30th the applications are going through verification process, where the team at AAMC is verifying that the information in your application is kosher and legitimate. Beginning June 30th, the applications will be reviewed/received by schools and you can begin receiving secondaries. This does NOT mean you will get them all on the 30th. It's likely you will receive some but all schools have different processes for sending out secondaries.

Information found on calendar here - Pre-Med Calendar

My transcript lists my class and lab separately, but the AMCAS video says to list it as "[class] and lab"

Do I list them separately or together?

If separately, do I designate the lecture portion as lecture and the lab portion as lab? Or should I designate combined lecture and lab to signify that they are together?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My transcript lists my class and lab separately, but the AMCAS video says to list it as "[class] and lab"

Do I list them separately or together?

If separately, do I designate the lecture portion as lecture and the lab portion as lab? Or should I designate combined lecture and lab to signify that they are together?

If your transcript lists them separately, you copy them exactly as is. You'd label the lecture portion as lecture and the lab as lab only.

Ultimate goal is to have your amcas application match your transcript

You won't receive anything until June 30th at the very earliest.

From June 1st-June 30th the applications are going through verification process, where the team at AAMC is verifying that the information in your application is kosher and legitimate. Beginning June 30th, the applications will be reviewed/received by schools and you can begin receiving secondaries. This does NOT mean you will get them all on the 30th. It's likely you will receive some but all schools have different processes for sending out secondaries.

Information found on calendar here - Pre-Med Calendar
Thank you so much for your response! If our application has already been verified, can I safely assume that AAMC will send my materials to the schools beginning June 30th (so no further action is required on my end?)

Lets clear this up as it can be confusing issue.

1) In some schools a lecture course will include lab but does not indicate in the title. in that case, you would put what the transcript name of the course adding "and lab"
2) if you have a separate lecture and lab course listed on transcript, you list them separately directly on transcript.

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...2018_amcas_instruction_manual-web.pdf#page=38
Enter designations for all of your lab coursework exactly as they appear on the official transcript. If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and select "Combined Lecture and Lab" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section

I have a question about this too. I took my first Biology class five years ago at a different university, and now I can't remember if it was a combined lecture and lab or not :( I had to repeat another Intro to Bio course at my new university, which had a lab with it. But I can't recall if the previous one did or not. What should I do?

I had to retake a bio class 3 times to get a passing grade. It was really the professors fault, as a lot of us failed. I made the mistake of taking it with the sane professor twice.
So I got D,D then C

I also retook Chem.

Will they accept the first attempt? Average them all? Or take the best?

Also, I ended up changing my major because the classes for my major would always fill up. Will the change of major show on my transcript? Does that effect me?

I went from Chem to bio to pysch w/ Chem minor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the primary income earner in my family had an illness. I was asked to contribute some (but not a lot) to overall income through my summer work (there's a box for this). My parent also told me to list that I was disadvantaged and although she's "high income" (~200k? parents don't tell me the exact number) but the costs of medication apparently was a big hit

Should I take that advice? I don't want to sound callous but I also don't want to downplay my situation. We never applied for financial aid, and I think my numbers (GPA) are good, but IDK about the MCAT. I think this definitely played a role in my MCAT prep because I was limited in the resources I could get but ofc I don't know my score

I have an AP Credit question - I will likely have to call AMCAS (on hold right now), but throwing it out there in case someone else has experience with it.

I received some AP credit from my undergraduate institution (attended from 1999-2003) and some from my post-baccalaureate school (attended 2016-2017). AP credit from official undergrad school went under freshman year as the video explained. I went to the same post-bac school during the summer in 2001 and 2002 as well as official post-bac time, so do I include the AP credit from the post-bac school during the first year I was officially post bac (I believe this was during the fall of 2016) or do I add it when I first started taking classes there (2001). It's a little up in the air since it is listed on my transcript as 1996, 1998, 1999, etc.

Update: I have officially stumped AMCAS. I will update when I hear an answer.

Second Update: First, kudos to the AAMC And AMCAS. The help line people are wonderful. Second, you put the AP credits down in the semester or year when they were approved, no matter when you took classes at the school. Since mine were not approved until I was an official post-bac student, I will put them with that set of classes and ignore the summer school from before.

Last edited:
Is all your AP credits given during freshman year? Are all the subsequent AP credits just repeats of the AP from earlier?

AP credit was given for Calc (2 semesters), General Bio (2 semesters), and General Chemistry (2 semesters) at one school. My post-bac institution accepted ALL of my credits, which included physics, econ, american government, computer science, and english.

I included the Calc/Bio/Gen Chem under my first institution (as they were given to me in 1999) and then included the rest under my 2016 post-bac. That seems to be what they wanted me to do. I guess the biggest question is whether to include them in the summer (when I was technically non-degree seeking) or fall (when I became officially post-bac) at this point. I submitted them in the summer, so I guess it's my judgement call?

I attended a university where our fall and winter terms were ~4 months each, but our spring and summer terms are ~2 months each.

Fall: Sept-Dec
Winter: Jan-Apr
Spring: May-June
Summer: July-Aug

(Spring and summer terms were optional.)

How do I classify my AMCAS Academic Terms for my courses? I was enrolled full-time during fall and winter terms, but I occasionally took a class or two during spring or summer.

I attended a university where our fall and winter terms were ~4 months each, but our spring and summer terms are ~2 months each.

Fall: Sept-Dec
Winter: Jan-Apr
Spring: May-June
Summer: July-Aug

(Spring and summer terms were optional.)

How do I classify my AMCAS Academic Terms for my courses? I was enrolled full-time during fall and winter terms, but I occasionally took a class or two during spring or summer.

Interesting - that matches the schedule I had in undergrad, so I'm tempted to call them semesters. We had nothing between May and September.

Interesting - that matches the schedule I had in undergrad, so I'm tempted to call them semesters. We had nothing between May and September.

sounds like UMich, I'm pretty sure that's semester system. They do a fall, then a winter, but spring/summer are optional b/c of the intense cold seasons. I always found it humorous because they don't really have a spring until later in the year since it's just cold as hell all the time.

Again, just speculation, I don't know if it's semester but it sounds like it. It's definitely not the quarter system

Do the courses absolutely need to be in the same order as they appear on the transcript? The order was off for me, so i deleted all the courses from that semester and re-entered it in order, but one course keeps moving 2 places up. I tried twice.

Just asked about this and they said as long as they are under the correct semester, the order does not matter.

OK, I've been through the Study Abroad video and the section of the AMCAS manual ad nauseum. I did study abroad through Syracuse while I was a an UG at a different institution. While the credits counted toward my degree, the only mention of them is "2002S Syracuse University in Florence Italy". Syracuse transcript says "non-matriculated undergrad Program Abroad: Florence Center, Italy." I don't think it was a foreign college abroad - the class was taught by Syracuse professors, we just happened to be abroad. So far I have checked "Study Abroad" and sent in a transcript from Syracuse. Am I doing this correctly? Because when I read through the instructions, it seems like I need to do something differently - like maybe make up a university called Syracuse University in Florence Italy, then have those credits transfer to Syracuse?

You can simply include them all as part of the postbacc and not split them up. That is specifically allowed in instructions as long ad you dont count them twice

I considered doing this - someone at AMCAS mentioned adding the ones I got first separately, but it wasn't clear if it was a requirement or not. Which is preferable? It would seem that having them all from the same school would be easier to see.

You list the syracuse univerisity and transcript from there. you donot list these transferred classes on your home school section

Phew, did that already. Now on to one Post-bac question.

I never thought about this, but my original UG credits are listed on my post-bac institution's transcript (both UG and Syracuse Study abroad). I'm not sure if they are considered transferred courses or just courses to fulfill a final degree. I have them listed them with the original undergraduate institution and have already sent a transcript for both (or all three if you've followed that I have three schools to keep track of). Is there something additional I need to do? I see people mentioning transfers, but I didn't think it applied to this case. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Last edited:
sounds like UMich, I'm pretty sure that's semester system. They do a fall, then a winter, but spring/summer are optional b/c of the intense cold seasons. I always found it humorous because they don't really have a spring until later in the year since it's just cold as hell all the time.

Again, just speculation, I don't know if it's semester but it sounds like it. It's definitely not the quarter system

Yeah, I'm from UMich.. I called the advising center, and they said it was a semester system. I'm going to use "1st Semester (Fall)" and "2nd Semester (Spring)" although the second semester at UMich is technically called "winter."
On the other hand, I am still not sure how to list UMich's 2-month classes during the optional spring and summer terms. I'm tempted to use "Summer Semester" category for these short semesters. Any suggestions?

Are these courses listed on a separate UG transcript in addition to PB or just PB transcript

They are all listed on a separate transcript for my original degree. I never even thought about the transfer. I'm not even sure they were transferred as much as listed. All transcripts have been received by amacas

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am applying EDP this cycle. Does AMCAS verify EDP applications quicker than regular applicants?

So for inputting course work, specifically "Year in School", what do I put when my transcript doesn't match with the year I was in school. In my case, I was a freshman for 1 quarter (my first), then a "sophomore" for 2, then my 2nd year (sophomore year) I was a "Junior".

Do I put it as it shows on my transcript? Or do I put Freshman for all 3 quarters my first year, Sophomore all 3 quarters of my 2nd, etc.

Hi. I'm including an on campus club I've been involved in on my AMCAS. Been in the club as a member for 2 years to date, but as an officer 1 year to date. First semester (treasurer), second semester (secretary), and next two semesters (president). The experience is NOT most meaningful, and I am struggling to condense all this into 700 characters - given that the first half is my duties (of all three positions) and the second half is my reflection. Any advice on what to do for the first half? Do I say "multiple officer positions" and give general duties, or should I focus on the most recent and what I have planned? Or would anyone recommend another approach? Thanks in advance.

Bump only bc I saw quite a few posts after mine that were responded to.

I'm afraid I really messed up. I thought I could send an electronic transcript to AMCAS but I could only do a paper one by snail mail. My registrar mailed my transcript on the May 30th and now I'm waiting on that to submit. What are the chances I can still get verified by July 1? How long will it to AMCAS to receive my transcripts? They were sent from western PA, so I'm hoping they got to DC pretty quickly.

you can submit before the transcript arrives!!!!!!

I thought they wouldn't look at it until the transcripts get there? Meaning I won't enter the que of applications until my transcripts are attached

My school combines both lecture and lab into one grade. However, the transcript lists lecture and lab as follows:

Biology I (GRADE) CREDIT(S)
Biology I Lab (NG) (N/A)

I listed it in AMCAS as Biology I and checked the box that said it included lab. Is there another way I should be doing this?

I took summer classes in Summer 2012 and Summer 2013 at another school. Would I list my attendance at this school as "June 2012-August 2013?"

Also, I can't remember which session I took the classes in and it does not list it on my transcript either (it just says Summer 2012 or 2013 on my transcript as the date). The first term of summer 2012 classes started in May and the second term started in June. AMCAS is asking for the exact dates I attended to generate the transcript request form for this school. I'm thinking of guessing and putting either May or June down...so basically, I was going to say that I attended this school from May 2012-August 2013 and click the summer only option underneath. Could this potentially screw me over if the dates are off?

Also, is it okay to include a middle name in my "alternate, preferred name" even if it isn't formally listed anywhere or in my legal records? My legal name does not include the middle name, but I thought I would include it in the other names category...I can remove it if it would cause confusion

The dates wont screw you up but dont you have any copy of any transcript for this school?

I do have a copy of the transcript, but it doesn't list the actual dates attended. It just says "Summer 2012 or Summer 2013" on the official transcript. I called the school, and they said that I have to check the course catalog, which I did. However, the course catalog doesn't tell me when I attended...it just shows the possible dates the class was given that summer. So it looks like if I forgot, then there's no way to figure out those exact dates.

I am confused why you are putting it so remove it

Yes, I decided to go ahead and remove it. I realized it was being included on transcript request forms, so I don't want to confuse the schools and AMCAS. I was originally going to include it because I like being associated with the middle name lol

I saw on some other threads that you can manually enter AMCAS address as below, and it would suffice. Rather than sending the Transcript Request Form (TRF).. It said TRF was only necessary to match you up with AMCAS ID. (Q1) Is this true?

I did the electronic request w/o the TRF like this last week. (Q2) Should I be worried?
AMCAS - ATTN TRANSCRIPTS
AAMC Med School APPL SVC
PO BOX 57326
AMCAS ID 12345678
WASHINGTON, DC 20037-0326

No you are doing it right

The AMCAS instruction manual mentioned adding "and Lab" to courses that included the lab, then checking the Lecture and Lab box. I changed my course names accordingly - I'm assuming this is okay? Or should I go strictly with the course name and just click the box?

Will a C+ look bad even if overall GPA is decent (3.75 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA) it was my last semester (biochem) and I'm worried it will be considered a "downward trend" I had only As and Bs then a B- the semester before last and a C+ my last semester. I had family issues I can explain on secondaries and a professor mentioned it on a LOR. Also doing post bacc for one semester and an MPH during application/gap year. How much of an effect do you think it will have?

Also, how much does having a LOR from a doctor at the school you're applying to really help?

Thanks!

Greetings,

This is my first post to SDN and I am hoping someone can help me out! I just graduated with a degree in Kinesiology and Health and am a first time applicant this 2018 cycle. In the course classification I was wondering how I should label some of my upper level KIN courses. There are five classes I am unsure on how to classify. These five classes are Exercise Physiology, Functional Anatomy, Neural Basis of Human Movement, Biomechanics and Medical Aspects of Exercise. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

That is correct but you need both there. So you should get the primary in so it is ready when the transcript arrives.

How long does it take them to process the transcript at this time? It's been a week since my school mailed it, I'm starting to get worried I won't be verified by July

Question on ordering transcript from undergrad to AMCAS - do you need to submit your app before ordering any transcript? What happens if you order the transcript before submitting your app? Will AMCAS know to keep the transcript with your file even though you haven't submitted? Most of the application is done but waiting for the med school to "grant" the early assurance option, hence not submit yet. Also heard AMCAS will email you if they receive a transcript, is this notification only available after you submit the application?
@futureDocDD if you go to the very first page of this thread you will see all these answers

yay, i'm "processed" and my grades/gpa are set. is this the same as verification? are there any more steps before secondaries?