*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2017-2018 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've read/heard mixed responses on this, but does anyone know for sure if it is a good idea to submit the application prior to MCAT scores being received? I sent them yesterday, but based on past posts, it's sometimes taken upward of 1 month for them to be received. Also, there might be some mix-ups involving auto-rejections for no MCAT scores received when doing this (heard this somewhere)?...definitely want to get everything en route to being verified though.

Members don't see this ad.

So I submitted my applications last night and when I downloaded the PDF file, one of the LORs has the "Waiver of Evaluation: No", I was doing this on my phone when I requested the evaluation form and did this by mistake. The thing is, I can't even see the letter as it is sent directly from interfolio to AACOMAS, and I waived my right to see it when the professor wrote it. I called AACOMAS and they basically said that I am out of luck, I should just contact the programs and let them know of this. I am applying to 15+ schools, do you guys think I should call each school? I have 3 other letters and I waived my right to see those, this was the only mistake :(

One of my letters on AACOMAS says I did not waive the right to see it and my GPA just got verified. Too late to call aacomas tmr? I can't imagine I would have not waived that right. Could this maybe be on the prof's end? Will this reflect very negatively on my app? It's my second science prof, one of five letters I have uploaded. Worst part is I can't even read the letter on the site right now.

Did any of you get a response? I am in the same boat and honestly don't know what to, and I'm basically freaking out :scared:

Hello everyone, I need some quick help for applying.

I took the new mcat back in july 2015, and received a piss poor score. I didnt want to take that score to apply. I took my MCAT on July 28th 2017 waiting for the scores in august.
Now here is my question. As I am filling in my application and I reach the MCAT score section. Do I fill in both the test dates? And leave the July 28th 2017 scores blank? or Do i put down just the july 28th 2017 date and let the schools figure out how bad i did in 2015. Please advise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I need some quick help for applying.

I took the new mcat back in july 2015, and received a piss poor score. I didnt want to take that score to apply. I took my MCAT on July 28th 2017 waiting for the scores in august.
Now here is my question. As I am filling in my application and I reach the MCAT score section. Do I fill in both the test dates? And leave the July 28th 2017 scores blank? or Do i put down just the july 28th 2017 date and let the schools figure out how bad i did in 2015. Please advise.
They're going to see both the scores regardless of whether you leave the self-report section blank on either (doing so may just delay the process). Self report both test dates and scores, but wait for the new score to come back before sending the scores over to AACOMAS and submitting the application. If you submit prior to the new scores coming in, some schools will look at your file as complete and make a decision based on your old score alone.

Did any of you get a response? I am in the same boat and honestly don't know what to, and I'm basically freaking out :scared:
**** out of luck.. I just called. Nothing they can do. My suggestion is to just roll with it. Since you can't delete a bad evaluation anyway, I don't think that waiver holds as much merit as you think. Get enough letters to cover requirements without that letter, read school letter policies, and eat, pray, love. okay that last bit was just a bad joke

They're going to see both the scores regardless of whether you leave the self-report section blank on either (doing so may just delay the process). Self report both test dates and scores, but wait for the new score to come back before sending the scores over to AACOMAS and submitting the application. If you submit prior to the new scores coming in, some schools will look at your file as complete and make a decision based on your old score alone.
So should i just wait it out and finish my app? I wanted to start handiing stuff in but I dont want to be judged off of my first MCAT scores.

**** out of luck.. I just called. Nothing they can do. My suggestion is to just roll with it. Since you can't delete a bad evaluation anyway, I don't think that waiver holds as much merit as you think. Get enough letters to cover requirements without that letter, read school letter policies, and eat, pray, love. okay that last bit was just a bad joke

LOL, it wasn't that bad it actually took some of my nervousness away. Thanks for the update!!

So should i just wait it out and finish my app? I wanted to start handiing stuff in but I dont want to be judged off of my first MCAT scores.
You MIGHT be judged off your current MCAT scores, so I think submitting would be risky (schools often say on their website whether or not they'll wait for new scores after the file is complete). Make sure all your transcripts and LOEs have been received and have secondaries prewritten so you can submit them immediately when invites are sent. Keep in mind that it can take 8-10 days for your official scores to be sent over to AACOMAS (You can still self-report your new scores before they arrive).

Hey, quick question about primaries. I am very close in being able to submit my primaries to all my schools. My question is that I just sent out my official transcript and recs. They will take roughly 1 week to process and then verified. Can I submit my primaries prior all of that?

Hey guys, so quick question if this will be a big deal. I submitted my AACOMAS about a week ago, and I realized I messed up on one description and copied and pasted the wrong content (the description for another one of my EC's that I listed. I then added the same experience again just now that I realized, but three letters were cut off cause I did it hastily (obviously I am going to leave it). How will DO schools look on this? I know this is a big mess up, and I am counting on getting into a DO school. Should I kiss my chances goodbye, and apply next cycle? Help, I am freaking out.

Every time I look up how to send transcripts to aacomas, I can't find any information about sending it electronically - do we have to have our registrar send physical copies to aacomas?

Every time I look up how to send transcripts to aacomas, I can't find any information about sending it electronically - do we have to have our registrar send physical copies to aacomas?

My school made me take a course called "University Foundations" for credits and I can't find a subject that's similar. Any suggestions on what subject to list it under? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
My school made me take a course called "University Foundations" for credits and I can't find a subject that's similar. Any suggestions on what subject to list it under? Thanks!
Whichever matches best with the course subject/department abbreviation on your transcript. They will change the subject you select on the application if needed during verification.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question regarding classifying academic year:

For my undergraduate, I spent two years at one college and three years at the college I graduated from. For my 9th and 10th semesters, how should I classify these on AACOMAS?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys! I recently submitted one of my LORs to AACOMAS using interfolio. When looking at the "References and Evaluations" section on the PDF version of my app, I noticed the "Occupation", "Professional title", and "Organization" sections for this letter were blank. Will this happen with all of my interfolio letters? Or is there something my evaluator did not fill out on the interfolio request email which was sent to him. Have any of you checked the PDF version of your AACOMAS and noticed this?

From what I have read, it seems that when an applicant sends a letter request through AACOMAS, the evaluator must fill in their occupation, professional title, and organization on their AACOMAS portal, prior to writing the letter. However, when they receive a letter request form on Interfolio, they may not be provided with any space to fill in this information. Please, share your thoughts!

X

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Under experiences, when it says status what is that referring to? I'm basically filling out a community service organization.

Hope everyone else's applications are going well! I have a question I was hoping someone could have some input on.

What is the minimum amount of information one needs to be verified? Transcripts, personal statement, anything else?

Hey everyone!

Quick question, I submitted my primary yesterday afternoon and literally got an email back from AACOMAS saying my application has been verified. They already had my transcript on file from a while ago. Im currently waiting for my 8/19 scores to be released and have a 506 mcat on file already but Ive been reading that some schools start reviewing your apps before the 2nd mcat scores come in. Also, I'm still waiting for the physician i shadowed to complete writing the LoR i asked. Will it look bad that I don't have that physician letter yet and could i get disqualified due to the schools starting to review apps and since most schools required a DO/MD letter? Although my primary is verified, I still haven't submitted any secondary/supplemental schools specific essays or fees. Would they wait to look at my app until the fees are paid or do they start whenever?

Sorry for the questions, this is my first time applying.

This thread will open at the opening of the 2017-2018 application cycle. As dates from last year for reference:
May 5th was the day AACOMAS opened to applications
June 15 was when schools began receiving information from applicants.

Please use this thread to ask any questions specific to the AACOMAS application.

Ask away and good luck!

Last years AACOMAS question page is right here.

I took my MCAT on July 22 and just got my score back on August 22. Is it too late to send in applications?
MCAT: 500
GPA: 3.78
ScienceGPA: 3.69
1,700 hours of experience ED scribe.

I took my MCAT on July 22 and just got my score back on August 22. Is it too late to send in applications?
MCAT: 500
GPA: 3.78
ScienceGPA: 3.69
1,700 hours of experience ED scribe.
Def not too late to apply to DO schools, as I'm assuming you're applying to DO bc you posted on this thread. I say submit your primary asap and submit your secondaries by the end of September.

Def not too late to apply to DO schools, as I'm assuming you're applying to DO bc you posted on this thread. I say submit your primary asap and submit your secondaries by the end of September.

I am applying DO! Thanks I appreciate it. Sent in my primarys and got three secondarys so far. Waiting anxiously to hear more.

One of my friend has gpa 3.4 and just received the MCAT score recently 500.Should he apply to DO school now or 2019 cycle?

One of my friend has gpa 3.4 and just received the MCAT score recently 500.Should he apply to DO school now or 2019 cycle?
I have similar stats with a bit higher GPA. If he has at least average EC's, the advice I received was to apply broadly (20+ schools) and send in secondaries by the end of this month. Why wait until 2019? I think there is a good chance he/she will get some interviews, unless they want to retake the MCAT and apply to MD next cycle. For this cycle, make sure to apply to the newer schools as well.

I have similar stats with a bit higher GPA. If he has at least average EC's, the advice I received was to apply broadly (20+ schools) and send in secondaries by the end of this month. Why wait until 2019? I think there is a good chance he/she will get some interviews, unless they want to retake the MCAT and apply to MD next cycle. For this cycle, make sure to apply to the newer schools as well.
Thanks

I am a Canadian student applying to DO schools. Do I need to have my transcripts certified by WES if my transcripts are from an English speaking University?

Do I need to click the 'Update my Application' button if my letters were received by AACOMAS post submission?

Do I need to click the 'Update my Application' button if my letters were received by AACOMAS post submission?
Per my experience you don't have to do that. AACOMAS will deliver the letters to the schools you have selected, and the schools will be able to access them once they become available.

I am a Canadian student applying to DO schools. Do I need to have my transcripts certified by WES if my transcripts are from an English speaking University?
Yeah most schools will ask you to get a WES evaluation. Watch out for some schools like NYIT or LECOM who won't even allow that!

AACOMAS sent me an email saying 'AACOMAS UNDELIVERY NOTICE: CREDIT CONVERSION NEEDED. Your AACOMAS application has been returned to you for editing because you have not entered your coursework correctly. While processing your application, the AACOMAS staff noticed that you did not make the appropriate credit conversions for _______________________ . As stated in the Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions, credit conversions may be necessary at times. According to the back of your ________________________ transcript, #1 is equivalent to #6. You must make the correct conversions before your application can be processed.'

I have no idea what they are asking me to do. Please help!

Yeah most schools will ask you to get a WES evaluation. Watch out for some schools like NYIT or LECOM who won't even allow that!
All of the schools i applied to (other than PCOM) do not explicitly say anything about a WES evaluation for Canadian schools.

All of the schools i applied to (other than PCOM) do not explicitly say anything about a WES evaluation for Canadian schools.
Really, which schools? I called all the schools that I am applying to and asked if i needed to get a WES evaluation. LECOM and NYITCOM straight up rejected me for my canadian degree. only the Midwestern schools AZCOM and CCOM said they didn't care. I called 7 others (ask me for a detailed list) who said i needed a WES evaluation.

Really, which schools? I called all the schools that I am applying to and asked if i needed to get a WES evaluation. LECOM and NYITCOM straight up rejected me for my canadian degree. only the Midwestern schools AZCOM and CCOM said they didn't care. I called 7 others (ask me for a detailed list) who said i needed a WES evaluation.
michigan, debusk, kansas, maria, turo ny harlem never explicitly stated on their site. will call to confirm.

michigan, debusk, kansas, maria, turo ny harlem never explicitly stated on their site. will call to confirm.
Let us know! I applied to Michigan without sending the WES eval because I've heard they are a very Canadian Friendly school.

Hello, here is the situation.

1. I took a chemistry 150 course
2. The university changed the title of the course to chemistry 111 the following year
3. I retook exactly the same class
4. My transcript says its a repeat
5. AACOMAS won't acknowledge my transcript saying its a repeat.

Obviously, its a retake, as my transcript acknowledges. How am I suppose to retake the course I needed to? The university changed the course prefix. Same course. No other way to retake the course.

How do I make this clear to AACOMAS?

Thanks!

Are LOR's required at the same time I send in my primary app? Also, what schools are strict about the 2 science professor LOR requirements? I'm a non-trad applicant, out of school for ~2 years, and I think I can get one letter from a professor but probably not a second

Last edited:
Are LOR's required at the same time I send in my primary app? Also, what schools are strict about the 2 science professor LOR requirements? I'm a non-trad applicant, out of school for ~2 years, and I think I can get one letter from a professor but probably not a second
You can submit your primary even if letters have not been turned in yet.

Hoping for some advice. While reviewing my app (that was verified some time ago), I noticed that I checked the Health Careers Opportunity Program. This was a complete accident. I've reviewed it before, but I was focused on that text portions, and kind of just looking at everything today saw it. Is this something I can contact AACOMAS about correcting?

Quick question:
I just recently finished shadowing a DO and received a LoR from him. However, I already submitted my primary and was verified 8/29. Additionally, I have completed most of my secondaries and am under review at those schools (completed with MD LoR). Should I still update my AACOMAS primary and indicate that I completed more clinical shadowing recently under the experiences tab? Or will that not make a difference since I'm already under review?

Thanks for the help.

I have a question, AACOMAS didn't mark all of my repeated courses as repeats it's showing as 'Not applicable'. Some went through and some didn't. I think maybe because I didn't zero out the first attempts. Should I leave it as is in my app (Considering the new grade replacement policy won't change my GPA very much anyway) or contact AACOMAS about it? I already sent my app by the way :(

Also I saw a couple mistakes in my app,
1st mistake I saw was that Physiology was labeled as Philosophy, not sure how that one slipped through
2nd, two courses I took were in the wrong semester

I only took 2 quarters of english in undergrad (the requirement for my school), so I have only have 8 units (9 units is the req for the program i want to go to).

Also, I have 8 units from my highschool IB English, which shows up on my transcript. Does this count towards the 9 unit requirement?

Last edited:
Can somebody remind me whether we need to assign all our pre-req courses to fulfill requirements for each individual school BEFORE or AFTER AACOMAS verification?

I remembered doing that last time took quite a bit of labor and time.

Can somebody remind me whether we need to assign all our pre-req courses to fulfill requirements for each individual school BEFORE or AFTER AACOMAS verification?

I remembered doing that last time took quite a bit of labor and time.
You can do it after. I guess you have to complete at least one to submit and start verification.

Question:
I recently started a new job (like, today) and when I input the hours on AACOMAS I put my projected hours from start date to end date. The job is very stable and has a set number of hours per week and I see no reason I will not work the projected hours. However, I am very worried about this and how it will look to adcoms. How worried should I be? How can I fix this?

Thank you!!

Question:
I recently started a new job (like, today) and when I input the hours on AACOMAS I put my projected hours from start date to end date. The job is very stable and has a set number of hours per week and I see no reason I will not work the projected hours. However, I am very worried about this and how it will look to adcoms. How worried should I be? How can I fix this?

Thank you!!
I would not put any projected hours for anything. only completed hours

Question:

Thank you!!
I was told this was perfectly acceptable. Emailed both AACOMAS and AMCAS, both said it was fine as long as you make it clear it’s projected and not completed. Haven’t had any issues.

So I just submitted my letters to AACOMAS, but my application has already been sent to the schools I'm applying to. I'm trying to figure out how to designate which schools I'm sending each letter to and how to actually have them sent from AACOMAS. I would really appreciate any feedback.

So I just submitted my letters to AACOMAS, but my application has already been sent to the schools I'm applying to. I'm trying to figure out how to designate which schools I'm sending each letter to and how to actually have them sent from AACOMAS. I would really appreciate any feedback.

With AACOMAS, all the letters get sent to all your schools. You don't have the ability to assign letters to schools as you do with AMCAS.