*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2017-2018 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard AACOMAS takes 4 weeks to finish verifying everything on your app after you submit it. Does anyone know when the verification process starts? Is it right after you submit your app?

My application was verified within a couple of days! It starts right after you submitted your application and your transcripts.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Since the title of the course contains "psych" AND the course number/prefix indicates it's "psych", then I would go with psychology for the course subject, even though it may be more of a neurobio class. That being said, it's up to you, and they won't penalize you for choosing an incorrect course subject, they will just change it.

Psych and Bio both fall under Science GPA, so in the end it doesn't really matter.

I checked the list and apparently it seems like Psych falls under the non-science GPA :( Ahhh this sucks...I took courses labeled as psych that were known as science courses and taught as such. If only there was a space in the application where I could explain this.

Here's the course classification listing if anyone needs it: http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...-history-2/aacomas-course-subjects/index.html

My application was verified within a couple of days! It starts right after you submitted your application and your transcripts.

What day did you submit if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked the list and apparently it seems like Psych falls under the non-science GPA :( Ahhh this sucks...I took courses labeled as psych that were known as science courses and taught as such. If only there was a space in the application where I could explain this.

Here's the course classification listing if anyone needs it: http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...-history-2/aacomas-course-subjects/index.html

You could classify it as "neurobiology" - the worst that happens is they change it during verification. From that same page: "Your application will not be undelivered for listing the incorrect AACOMAS Subject."

I've looked a bit and this seems to be an easy question to find but I'm having a problem finding a definite answer. What do we list directed/independent study under for subject? For my school, anything from research to TA to just working in a lab falls under this. It has the BIOL course code like any other biology course but no subject seems to match up when I'm entering it.

Oh so you need to have your transcripts
I've looked a bit and this seems to be an easy question to find but I'm having a problem finding a definite answer. What do we list directed/independent study under for subject? For my school, anything from research to TA to just working in a lab falls under this. It has the BIOL course code like any other biology course but no subject seems to match up when I'm entering it.
I think as long as the course code reflects that it's a biology class, then you would put it under biology. I think there's also the option of calling it "Special Topics".

Oh so you need to have your transcripts

I think as long as the course code reflects that it's a biology class, then you would put it under biology. I think there's also the option of calling it "Special Topics".

Yeah, I think I'll just call it biology and move on. With so many options I really thought they would have a research option or at least similar. I thought about special topics but it'd not considered science which I thought was strange. The only two special topics courses I took were very much science courses.

Hi! Does anyone know whether I can send my transcripts to AACOMAS from national student clearinghouse since they allow attachment so I can attach the transcript request paper? Or can I only send it a request for a mailed transcript since my schools only use the national student clearinghouse? Thanks!

Whats the deal with the "Review and finalize transcript Section"? I did it and I think I picked my community college as my main college, because it only asked about courses in that college. Once it didn't ask anything about my main university I realized I made an error, but it was locked. Then for fun, I went to the college to assign prerequisites and it was letting me choose courses from all my college. Did I mess up or was it only asking me about info on my CC classes because it was confused from that section

Whats the deal with the "Review and finalize transcript Section"? I did it and I think I picked my community college as my main college, because it only asked about courses in that college. Once it didn't ask anything about my main university I realized I made an error, but it was locked. Then for fun, I went to the college to assign prerequisites and it was letting me choose courses from all my college. Did I mess up or was it only asking me about info on my CC classes because it was confused from that section

If you have not submitted your application, you can still update the transcript section. Your primary college should be the one you earned you BA or BS from. The "Prerequisites" section allows everyone to assign courses from ALL colleges they have attended.

If you want undo the "review and finalize" portion, just pick any semester at a school you entered, indicate that you want to edit it, don't actually change anything and just click the save changes button.

That will allow you to go back and redo the "review and finalize" part.

[deleted]

Last edited:
If you want undo the "review and finalize" portion, just pick any semester at a school you entered, indicate that you want to edit it, don't actually change anything and just click the save changes button.

That will allow you to go back and redo the "review and finalize" part.

Haha Figured it out last night. These apps are making me loony and neurotic. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got approved for financial aid, however, I have a May 25 deadline to submit my primary app in order to receive it.
Tried to play it safe (read as: paranoid) and use the transcript entry service (went to four schools in undergrad + dual enrollment + AP) but if it's going to take 10+ days for them to enter anything after my transcripts arrive then should I just bite the bullet, cancel the service, and enter everything myself?

And, on that note, can I submit my primary without transcripts? They've all been submitted but if they aren't confirmed by a 5/25 deadline than am I out of luck with financial aid altogether?

The answer was that you can ask them to rescind the transcript service and my transcripts all arrived before my listed deadline. Coursework verified within hours.

Hello everyone! Is there a way to get a PDF of your AACOMAS application (like for AMCAS)? I want to double check if I inputted everything correctly without having to click through all my entries. Thank you!

Anyone having problems with the experiences section. I filled everything in prior but decided to edit a few things today and I can't do the "Save & Continue" option b/c I didn't put down what state I did my activity in. The problem is that the only options I have for "state" in the drop down box are "Other/Unknown" and "International". What gives?

Hello everyone! Is there a way to get a PDF of your AACOMAS application (like for AMCAS)? I want to double check if I inputted everything correctly without having to click through all my entries. Thank you!
You can go to any of the schools you selected in Submit Application and download the program application (which will be your app in pdf form).

I had IB coursework from high school brought over to my undergraduate institution, of which included credits for 3 of the core biology courses. I ended up taking these classes at my institution anyways because I believed not all medical schools would accept IB credits as suitable replacements for fulfilling requirements.

The official transcripts for my university never shows IB transfer coursework equivalents, so I had to have it requested. Also, because I "took the classes again" my university put down the credits I earned from these 3 biology courses as 0 (in their transfer report, but not the official transcript).

In the end, what my university registrar placed on my official transcript is the IB transfer courses I DID earn credit for, but the biology courses I took again were listed as normal under the terms and were not included up with the IB courses. There is a section on my official transcript for repeated coursework, these biology courses are not listed as such.

Long story short, my official university transcript which was already received by AACOMAS does not indicate my biology courses as repeat, nor does it show that I got IB credits for them initially but that it was changed from 4 credits per class to 0 after "retaking" them.

Should I report the IB course equivalents as 0 credits and make a new entry for them as "repeated"? Do I also need to re-send an official transcript with this information, even though AACOMAS already has a transcript?

Please help!!! I'm freaking out on that chance that this error on my official transcript will delay my application.

Are some of the question form the "question" section under the "program material" in AACOMAS the same as the secondaries? I was looking at UNE COM, and last year's secondary and the question from program material on aacomas are the same. Did anyone else come across this? I am guessing I will be copying and pasting the same exact thing into this year's secondary, if the happen to be the same as last years.

If all of my application is already except my MCAT, do I submit the application to the schools/school now? Or do I need to wait?

Anyone know how to enter full-year courses? Divide the credits by half and list them in each semester or just once in the starting semester?

Anyone having problems with the experiences section. I filled everything in prior but decided to edit a few things today and I can't do the "Save & Continue" option b/c I didn't put down what state I did my activity in. The problem is that the only options I have for "state" in the drop down box are "Other/Unknown" and "International". What gives?
I think I know the fix to this issue. There's a big red circle on my "Submit Application" tab which seemed suspect as it was never there before, so I decided to clear off all my schools from my list and there's one school that won't come off. There's no delete button or anything. Anyone have experience dealing with this issue? I'll definitely call AACOMAS, but in the meantime I'm just trying to anyone has any answers!

Nope! Nevermind, I thoroughly have no idea about my problem.

In the AACOMAS application, under Program Materials you assign Prerequisites for specific colleges. My question is that when it says Biology (Minimum 8 credits), do I select all the Bio classes including the upper level courses or just the 2 Intro Biology Courses that meet the pre-requisite?

In the AACOMAS application, under Program Materials you assign Prerequisites for specific colleges. My question is that when it says Biology (Minimum 8 credits), do I select all the Bio classes including the upper level courses or just the 2 Intro Biology Courses that meet the pre-requisite?
I put em all. There are other schools with a bit more specific descriptions of what they want, so that's when I try to match them more accordingly, but if they're general about it then I just put all my bio classes.

Are you guys answering the questions that are listed under each program you're applying to (if they have any there to complete)? Can I submit the application without filling those out? Like others have mentioned, they look like secondary type questions...
Also, has anyone else had trouble selecting a state for which each Work/Experience took place? I select United States, and proceed to select a state from there, but all that comes up now is a blank, Other/Unknown, and International. Should I contact AACOMAS? Or would it be okay to just submit it like that since I have also provided the zip code?

Are you guys answering the questions that are listed under each program you're applying to (if they have any there to complete)? Can I submit the application without filling those out? Like others have mentioned, they look like secondary type questions...
Also, has anyone else had trouble selecting a state for which each Work/Experience took place? I select United States, and proceed to select a state from there, but all that comes up now is a blank, Other/Unknown, and International. Should I contact AACOMAS? Or would it be okay to just submit it like that since I have also provided the zip code?
I called them this morning about the issue. The person I talked to said that was unusual, but it didn't matter if you selected the "other" option as they can tell given the other info you provided, as you mentioned. However she relayed the info to their tech team and they fixed the issue for me, and the states were back under the drop down menu. It seems to happen when go to the submit tab and begin the process of submitting, at least that's what happened with me. I just submitted a few hours ago.

In regards to the questions, I answered them all since it wouldn't mark the program 100% complete and make it ready to submit. Some of them are fairly simple, asking if you've ever had disciplinary action or been convicted, etc. and that was it. LMU and DMU had essay questions.

Hey guys, what do you do if you took the MCAT and have your score, but then took it again and don't have scores yet? Should I enter my first score and then select NO for "Have you taken the test?" on the second test? I want to make sure they see my second score, since I am confident it will be higher but there's no option for "waiting for scores". :rolleyes: Or maybe I need to wait and submit when I get the second score? I'm worried about delaying though.

For AMCAS I know that some people say to apply to any school (one you don't plan to attend) to get the application process started and then add your desired school once the score comes back, but does AACOMAS work similarly?

Do we enter 0 for the credits on the first attempt of repeated courses? During transcript review, it says to enter 0 but on the FAQ, it states the full credit value for all attempts must be included. I doubt it makes much difference with the new policy but these seems to be two contradictory statements (unless I'm misunderstanding).

When will the secondaries get sent out?

Last edited:
I called them this morning about the issue. The person I talked to said that was unusual, but it didn't matter if you selected the "other" option as they can tell given the other info you provided, as you mentioned. However she relayed the info to their tech team and they fixed the issue for me, and the states were back under the drop down menu. It seems to happen when go to the submit tab and begin the process of submitting, at least that's what happened with me. I just submitted a few hours ago.

In regards to the questions, I answered them all since it wouldn't mark the program 100% complete and make it ready to submit. Some of them are fairly simple, asking if you've ever had disciplinary action or been convicted, etc. and that was it. LMU and DMU had essay questions.

Mine still isn't fixed unfortunately, but I guess it doesn't matter too much. Thank you for getting it checked out and letting me know!
I realized that after I had already posted, I just saw that "Questions" were not making me complete and panicked for a quick second there. UNECOM has quite a few questions to answer, but like you mentioned, many of the others I'm applying to just wanted to know about disciplinary issues. Thanks again, and good luck!!!

New to SDN, I apologize if this has been answered in another thread. I am shadowing a DO this summer after my MCAT date of June 16th. I was wondering if there is any way that I can add a LOR from this DO after my application is submitted (I do not want to wait to submit late). The AACOM's site says that you can "edit" letters after but I was not sure if adding a LOR was included in this. Any advice would be a great help. Thanks.

I took an online course on Canvas Network from Rowan called "Introduction to Osteopathic Medicine." I saw it an email from Pre-Soma and thought it'd be interesting to take. There's no credits or anything, but I'm wondering if that would be a good thing to include in the "Continuing Education" section of the AACOMAS app. There's not really a certificate or anything, but there is a transcript showing that I completed the course?

Also wondering if schools other than Rowan would see that and look at me negatively because of it?

Also similar to the last question: I took some online courses for childhood development and some other stuff of behaviors that's not from a credit institution. Should I put that for continuing education or leave it out?

Also, should I put an expire EMT certification on since I used it for one of my work experiences I listed?

Thanks!

Should we include the courses we are planning to take next semester?

I'm in the process of inputting my grades from my official transcript and came across my AP Psychology class from high school that counted for credit. However the grade is listed as "TST" on my transcript. How should I go about inputting this?

Can we submit the primary without having letters from Interfolio added on to the application? I was just about to submit my primary, when it said that the Evaluations/Experiences section of my application would lock once complete... I was always under the impression that these could be added later. Any tips?

EDIT never mind, figured this out

Last edited:
My transcripts got verified by AACOMAS and my spring 2017 grades are not showing up. Did this happen to anyone else

Question about LORs, instructions say that you can submit your application for verification and still change "references that have a status of “new” or “in-progress”". I'm using interfolio for my LORs and two currently have a status of "not yet accepted" because my evaluators haven't sent them to me yet. Is this the same thing as "In Progress"? I told the people who are writing my LORs that they had a couple more weeks because I thought that LORs didn't have to be in for them to evaluate...

Can we submit the primary without having letters from Interfolio added on to the application? I was just about to submit my primary, when it said that the Evaluations/Experiences section of my application would lock once complete... I was always under the impression that these could be added later. Any tips?

EDIT never mind, figured this out
Had a similar question, what did you figure out?

Verifying that there is no way to remove a LOR after its status is "complete" even if you have not submitted your application for evaluation?

Does anyone know if UNECOM or DMU have links to pay the secondary application fee like LMU does?

For the experiences section, it says to classify your experience as part-time, full-time, temporary, etc. What are you guys putting for clubs and such?

Hello all! So it turns out I may not be able to submit my app until mid July. Is anyone informed as to how much of a disadvantage (or not) applying this late would be, since schools are usually in rolling admissions?

Thanks and good luck to you all!

Hello all! So it turns out I may not be able to submit my app until mid July. Is anyone informed as to how much of a disadvantage (or not) applying this late would be, since schools are usually in rolling admissions?

From what ive read, its not a disadvantage. As long as you get your secondaries in decently quick youll be good

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When will the secondaries get sent out?
I applied last cycle and just for reference, I submitted my app as soon as it opened/released the info to the schools and received my first secondary on 6/28.

July isn't late! You should be totally fine. The one school I ended up getting into..I actually applied the latest to. I applied everywhere in the summer, and the one school in December. So it is possible!