*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2016-2017 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know about this?

"Trying to add a course for sociology into my transcript but I can't for some reason. I graduated last year and I'm just taking sociology for the med pre req for one school but I can't list a "fall 2016" term for my transcript for university, given my transcript has already been verified prior to adding this class."

Members don't see this ad.

So I submitted to a throwaway school to get verified (and got verified). Now when I add schools I got another email saying to wait for verification. Also, the schools say "awaiting materials". Is this normal? I don't have to get re-verified do I?

So I submitted my application a while back and a few of my schools have asked for one of my professors to resubmit his letter because it was not on official school letterhead. Does anyone know if he will be able to change the letter through AACOMAS since he has already uploaded one, or if there is another way to do this? I already have all 6 of my spots full for my evaluators. I really don't want to have to ask him to send a letter to each school individually as I know that would likely be inconvenient for him.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does it mean when a school asks for a minimum of 2.5 grade for each subject area? For example, one school says 8 credits minimum and 2.5 grades minimum.

Is anybody else having trouble with grade replacement during the Academic Update Phase. I'm taking it at same institution, same prefix but they are pretty intolerable regarding updates.

Can someone explain to me why it takes 5-7 business days to ELECTRONICALLY transmit MCAT scores to AACOMAS? It's so frustrating. I can't submit these secondaries without those scores :mad:

Can someone explain to me why it takes 5-7 business days to ELECTRONICALLY transmit MCAT scores to AACOMAS? It's so frustrating. I can't submit these secondaries without those scores :mad:

I had no idea that was even a thing...my MCAT scores were verified on AACOMAS within 24 hours or so.

I had no idea that was even a thing...my MCAT scores were verified on AACOMAS within 24 hours or so.
Are you sure? No one told me I had to have them electronically sent from AAMC, so I did last Wednesday and they still aren't verified. Pretty annoyed, as all of my secondaries are being delayed.

Hi guys, I searched but couldn't find the answer on google. I submitted my AACOMAS application already for this cycle, but am I allow to update with a NEW LOR? I'm able to "save" the evaluation request, so I'm hopeful about updating through interfolio.

Hey guys so I recently decided to apply to DO schools. Is it too late to submit applications? Also, is a DO doctor recommendation letter mandatory? Any comments?

For the prerequisites in AACOMAS, do you include ALL of the courses in a particular category as pre-reqs or just the ones that people usually have to take? (Ex. Bio 1 & 2, but also include ALL of the bio courses you have taken)

Also, for the "Continuing Education" portion, can I include my BLS CPR certification?

For the prerequisites in AACOMAS, do you include ALL of the courses in a particular category as pre-reqs or just the ones that people usually have to take? (Ex. Bio 1 & 2, but also include ALL of the bio courses you have taken)

Also, for the "Continuing Education" portion, can I include my BLS CPR certification?

I put all the bio classes... like genetics, evolution, or physiology.

I think that counts... I would call them to ask just in case though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I basically just put in the minimum. So if a school required 8 hours biology, I would put in 8 hours and use some of my other biology classes for upper level electives or just not put them in. I think it's really just to show you've done all their pre-reqs at a glance sort of thing. I doubt anyone actually looks at that part once they have your entire list of coursework.

And I put my CPR cert and a bunch of others under CE on the advice of SDN. Just don't forget to scan in a copy of your card.

Hey guys, I already posted this in the UNECOM thread, but I need some help with something specific. I have taken all of my pre-requisites at an accredited university. However, I'm looking to retake biology for grade replacement online through UNECOM for grade replacement. Does anyone know if the UNECOM online bio can replace an undergraduate biology grade? I'm concerned because the UNECOM class title is "medical biology." Doesn't seem like the identical class to me. If anyone with experience with online pre-req's and grade replacement could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I keep seeing mixed answers about repeat course units at different schools.
Original course at School A: Preparatory Chemistry (3 units, no lab)
Repeated course at School B: Preparatory Chemistry (2 units, no lab)

Also, to further complicate things...School A recently changed the class to 4 units with a lab. Will this still be an acceptable repeat? And if so do they look at the school's most recent course description (which would now read a lab and be 4 units...even though when I took it it was only 3 units without a lab)?

For some reason, until now I haven't seen 1 review about RowanSOM. The threads already existent are very old and nothing out there on Google. Anyone has any input about the quality of RowanSOM? I have heard that MSU and PCOM are some of the best out there, but I seem to find nothing about RowanSOM

Can anyone tell me if I have to match my courses to the prereqs of the program?

Can anyone tell me if I have to match my courses to the prereqs of the program?

I filled out every single one of those pre-req pages for each school. So incredibly tedious and unnecessary. In fact, inputting your transcript in general feels tedious and unnecessary and perhaps just a way for them to make money through that transcript entering service :laugh:

Due to a problem with tuition and transcripts, as well as LORs, I have only recently been getting Secondaries. I applied to 32 DO schools. 13 outright rejections, 10 secondaries. I am not sure whether I should send these secondaries in as someone told me these schools will reject me as soon as I send the secondaries in. That they are not going to give me any interviews and just want the application $$. I'm not sure what to do.

Here are my secondaries: KYCOM, ACOM(probably not doing this one because they won't accept my professor LORs) , NYITCOM, RowanSOM, OSUCOM, UIWSOM, Nova, LMU-Debusk, Midwestern and WVSOM

Chances of getting in with a low (3.00) sgpa due to a few upper level biology courses? I've done well in all my other science courses like biochem, orgo, gen chem. I got a C in genetics and molecular bio.

Another question: I've started my application for the 2016 cycle but i decided to wait another year. How do I change my application to 2017 cycle?

Thanks!

Chances of getting in with a low (3.00) sgpa due to a few upper level biology courses? I've done well in all my other science courses like biochem, orgo, gen chem. I got a C in genetics and molecular bio.

Another question: I've started my application for the 2016 cycle but i decided to wait another year. How do I change my application to 2017 cycle?

Thanks!

What year are you in? The more upper level science courses you take, and do well, the better it looks when adcoms review your applications. As for the changing of the application cycle, you'll have to wait for AACOMAS to open up again in may of 2017 for the next application cycle.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

What year are you in? The more upper level science courses you take, and do well, the better it looks when adcoms review your applications. As for the changing of the application cycle, you'll have to wait for AACOMAS to open up again in may of 2017 for the next application cycle.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in my last year of college and planning to apply this May.

Does the application automatically get moved to the new cycle or does it have to be manually?

Thanks for the reply. I'm in my last year of college and planning to apply this May.

Does the application automatically get moved to the new cycle or does it have to be manually?

Ok so yah you'll have to wait for the new application cycle in may 2017. As far as transferring goes...I'm 90% sure it's a blank slate; you'll have to re-enter everything and have your letter writers upload letters to AACOMAS again.

Ok so yah you'll have to wait for the new application cycle in may 2017. As far as transferring goes...I'm 90% sure it's a blank slate; you'll have to re-enter everything and have your letter writers upload letters to AACOMAS again.

Oh okay. & what do you think my chances are?

Oh okay. & what do you think my chances are?

For this cycle or next? What is your cGPA and sGPA? Have you taken lots of upper level science courses? Do you have a strong upward trend in GPA or is it pretty stagnant? What are your ECs and shadowing experience like? Is your MCAT above 500?

For this cycle or next? What is your cGPA and sGPA? Have you taken lots of upper level science courses? Do you have a strong upward trend in GPA or is it pretty stagnant? What are your ECs and shadowing experience like? Is your MCAT above 500?

For next cycle. & my gpa is 3.5 sgpa is 3.0 & because of the upper level science courses there is a downward trend but otherwise all other classes are static (As & Bs). Mcat above 500.

The applications rollover now with their new system...you don't have to re-enter everything

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The applications rollover now with their new system...you don't have to re-enter everything

Oh great how does that work? Because I haven't sent in my app for this cycle. Thanks

When can I send in letter of recs? I'm planning on asking one of my fall semester professors to write me one and I wanted to know the earliest time they can submit it.
I know the application opens in June/July but can we store our recs somewhere?

Thanks.

When can I send in letter of recs? I'm planning on asking one of my fall semester professors to write me one and I wanted to know the earliest time they can submit it.
I know the application opens in June/July but can we store our recs somewhere?

Thanks.
Through Interfolio. They're linked with AACOMAS so you can keep your LORs there until you apply!

When updated your transcript from undergrad, do you submit the changes to AACOMAS or to the specific schools that you are applying to? Would this make any difference post-primary submission when ADCOMS are reviewing applications?

Is it still possible to apply to the Sept 2017 cycle? What are my chances if I apply now?

Is it still possible to apply to the Sept 2017 cycle? What are my chances if I apply now?
Depends on stats. But it's getting pretty late into the cycle, you may be applying for a waitlist.

I just applied yesterday and sent in my primary application. Does anyone know how long verification should take at this point?

^ wondering that too. Glad I'm not the only one applying this late. :whistle:

How does AACOMAS classify nursing classes, specifically health policy classes and health studies within the nursing department? I have seen that they include it in the sGPA, but I wasn't sure since these are definitely not hard sciences.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but is there a way for us to see all of our primary application after we've submitted. When I go into my experience tabs, I'm not able to open up each activity and read what I wrote. Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but is there a way for us to see all of our primary application after we've submitted. When I go into my experience tabs, I'm not able to open up each activity and read what I wrote. Thanks in advance!

Yes. Look at the "check status" tab on the top and once you click the drop down menu for any of the schools you've submit to, it'll open up the app as they see it (which includes whatever you wrote for that section)

Yes. Look at the "check status" tab on the top and once you click the drop down menu for any of the schools you've submit to, it'll open up the app as they see it (which includes whatever you wrote for that section)
Thank you so much!

This may or may not be the right place to ask this (if it's not if someone could direct me the right way that would be great), but I was wondering if most DO schools abide by the MD standard for maximum 3 years prior to matriculation for MCAT scores. I took my MCAT in August 2014, and received a score of 14/9/14, so I would rather not have to retake the new one to apply next cycle.
A majority of osteopathic schools only accept MCAT scores from within the past 3 years. Some schools may allow for an exception depending on a case by case basis. I'm unsure which ones allow for the exception, so you'll probably need to use the search function for that.

When y daughter added high school information is does not put check mark next to it. Anyone have experience this.

A majority of osteopathic schools only accept MCAT scores from within the past 3 years. Some schools may allow for an exception depending on a case by case basis. I'm unsure which ones allow for the exception, so you'll probably need to use the search function for that.
This is months late, but RowanSOM does up to 5 years! :)

Ok I have a question regarding the AACOMAS application, and I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.

So in the "Program Materials" section, I see that we have to 'select' our classes that fulfill the prereq requirements for each school, which I dont have any problems with. For some of the schools I also see a "Questions" tab, which varies from school to school. So, my question is, is this "questions" tab the secondary application for each school? Also, can we not submit the application until each schools "questions" have been answered?

anyone know the answer to these questions?

Hello,

First, do we put the first attempt of a repeated class as 0.0 units? It says it in the application?
And do we have to classify each class as bio, chem, physics, and elective for each school we apply too?

And I took MCAT in Jan 2015 but the score options are only for the new test

Thank you!