***Official 2018 Orthodontic Interviews/Match/Non-Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.P

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's application season and thought I'd start off this thread for the 2018 cycle. Please feel free to post any updates on interviews or any other application related info. Good luck to everyone applying!

School name/Date of contact (phone/email)/ Interview Date

Members don't see this ad.

For those interested, I've quoted last year's timings for interview days and invitations. This definitely does not mean they will stick to it this year, but here's for a general timeline.

Good luck!

University of Oklahoma/August 12th (phone)/Interview: Oct 28th or Nov 4th
UBC/Aug. 23rd (email)/Interview: Nov. 5th, social night before
Loma Linda/Aug 25th(phone)/Interview: October 10th or 11th
Indiana/Email 09-1/Interview Friday Oct. 14th, social the night before
Iowa 9/1 : interviews sept 23, and oct 13
Texas A & M/Sept 2 (phone)/Interview: Oct 4, Oct 5, Oct 6
U of Pacific/ Sept 2/ email - interview oct 10/11 with social the night before
Tufts / Sept 6 (email) / interviews Oct 24 or Oct 25 with social night before
University of Rochester/ email - interviews Sept 22-23, 26-27 or 29-30
Ohio State / Sep 7 (email) -- interview Oct 4 with social night before
St. Barnabas/Sept 7 (email)/ interview Oct 18 with social night before
Boston University/Sep 7(email)/interview on Oct 31 with social event on evening of Oct 30
Tennessee / Sep 8 (email) / Interview Oct 7 with social night before
UCLA / Sep 8 (email) / Interview Sep 26 with social night before
UNLV / Sept 9 (email) / Interview Oct 6 and 7 with social on the 6th
AT Still University/Sep 9(email) & Sept 15 (email) /interview on Oct 10 with social dinner on evening of Oct 10(same day) & Oct 11 with social dinner the day before on Oct 10
Seton Hill/ Sept 9 (email)/interview Oct 7th with social the night before
UNC Chapel Hill/ Sept 8 (phone)/ interview Oct 24 or 25 with social the night before
U of Illinois at Chicago / Sept 12 (email) / interview Oct 6th, 13th, 20th, or Nov 3rd with social the night before
Buffalo / Sept 14 (email) / Interview Oct 17th, 21st with social the night before
LSU/ Sept 14 (email) / Interview Oct 27, 28 with a social the evening of Oct 27
U of Michigan/ Sept 15 (phone) / Interview Oct 13th or 17th with social the night before
U of Pittsburgh/ Sept 15 (phone) / Interview Oct 7th or 10th with social the night before
Roseman/ Sept 15 (phone) / Interview Oct 4 or 5 with social on evening of Oct 4th
UTHSCSA/Sept 15 (email) / Interview Oct 24 or 25 with social the evening before
UTHSCH/Sept 16 (email) / Interview Oct 13 or 14 with social the evening before
OHSU / Sept 19 (Phone) / Interview Oct 27 or 28 with social the evening before
UCSF / Sept 20 (email) / Interview Oct 7 with social the night before
UMKC / Sept 20 (email)/ Interview Oct 17th with social the night before
UW / Sept 20 (email) / Interview Oct 17th with social the night before
VCU/ Sept 20 (email) / Interview Nov 3rd and 4th
Jacksonville / Sept 21 (email) / Interview Oct 3rd with social the night before
Harvard / Sept 21 (email) / Interview Nov 8 with social the night before
Colorado / Sept 21 (phone) / Interview Oct 20th, 21st, or 24th with social 20th
Maimonides / Sept 22 (email) / Interview Nov 15th
NYU / Sept 22 (email) / Interview Oct 14th with social the night before
UAB / Sept 26 (Phone) / Interview Oct 19th and 20th
Temple / Sept 26 (email) / Interview Oct 28 or Nov 7 with social the night before
U of Kentucky / Sept 27 (phone) Interview Oct 28
U of Minnesota / Sept 28 (email) / Interview Oct 24th with social the night before
Rutgers / Sept 28 (email) / Interview Oct 28th or Oct 31st with social the night before
WVU / Sept 29 (email) / Interview Oct 31st
Maryland/ Sept 29 (email) / Interview Oct 26 or 27 with social the night before
Montefiore/ Sept 29 and Sept 30 (email)/Interview Oct 14 or Oct 28 with Social the night before
UPENN / Sept 30 (email) / Interview Nov 2nd or 9th, no social indicated
Columbia/ Sept 30 (email) / Interview Oct 24 or 25 with social the night before
Case Western/ Sept 30, Oct 3 (email)/ Interview Oct 26 or 27 with social on 26th
U of Florida / Sept 30 (email) / Interview Nov 8th with social the night before
NYU Lutheran / Oct 1 (email) / Interview 10/21 no social mentioned- tell them by 10/10 if you can't attend so someone else can be invited
Uconn/ Oct 3 (call) / interview Nov 10 with social on Nov 9
Albert Einstein/ Oct 3 (phone)/ Interview 10/26 with social the night before
Bronx Lebanon Hospital/ Oct 3 (phone)/ Interview 10/20 with no mention of social night
Saint Louis University/ Oct 4 (email)/ Interview Oct 17/18/19/20 with social night before or after the interview
University of Western Ontario / Oct 4 (email)/ Oct 20 or 21
University of Manitoba / Oct 5 (Email) / Interview Oct 31-Nov 1
Detroit Mercy / Oct 7 (Email) / Interviews Nov 1st or Nov 4th with social the night before
Marquette University / Oct 10 (Email) / Interview Nov 10th or 11th with social on 10th
Stony Brook / Oct 14 (Email) / Interview Nov 3rd with social the night before
Mayo / Oct 17 (Phone) / Interview with multiple dates offered
Nova/ Oct 18 and 19 (Email) / Interview Nov 3 or 7 [only 1 date offered] with social the night before

Reactions: 1 user
Best of luck to all of you!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. Let's start the list. Seems like they started earlier this year. Hopefully other schools will too!

University of Oklahoma/August 1st (phone)/Interview: Oct 20th or Nov 3rd with a social the Thursday before.

Hello everyone, Good luck for this application cycle.:)

Slowest month of my lifee

Last edited:
Good luck to all. Remember if you don't get in to keep trying. This is my third time applying, no interviews yet. My pay keeps going up as a GP, but I find myself still wanting to do ortho. Hustle and grind to make the CV stronger, maybe this will be my year.

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
University of Oklahoma/August 1st (phone)/Interview: Oct 20th or Nov 3rd with a social the Thursday before.
University of Rochester/August 23 (email)/Interview: Sept 14-15, 18-19, 21-22, 25-26 (no mention of social)

Rochester interview days offered to me were: 8/28-29, 8/31-9/1, 9/7-8, 9/11-12

Tufts emailed today with 10/1 social and 10/2 interview

Hello, does Rochester only send out one set of emails for interviews or do they send them out in batches?

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Rochester/August 23 (email)/Interview: Sept 14-15, 18-19, 21-22, 25-26 (no mention of social)
Tufts/August 24 (email)/Interview: October 2nd with social on October 1st

The waiting has finally come to a close as we turn the page to September on Friday. Good luck to all, especially to this old dog here.

UBC/August 31st (email)/Interview: Nov 4th with social Nov 3rd

I wish everyone all the best. I wish all of us will find our destination

Iowa/August 31st (email)/Interview: September 29th with social September 28th

Loma Linda/ September 1st (Phone)/Interview: Oct 9/10 (no mention of social)

Seton Hill/ September 5 (email)/Interview: Sept 29 with social night before

Anyone know if the above programs send interviews in batches?

ASDOH/ September 6 (email)/Interview: Oct 3 with social night before
OHSU/September 6 (phone) /Interview: Oct 20

Last edited:
ASDOH/ September 6 (email)/Interview: Oct 3 with social night before
OHSU/September 6 (phone) /Interview: Oct 20
University of Pittsburgh/September 6th (phone)/Choice of Interview Oct 6th or 9th with social the night before

This seems very intense. I've been practicing dentistry for 5 years and will be completing a intern program in orthodontics. I'm 0 for 3 at the moment according to the list above.

Is that normal?

This seems very intense. I've been practicing dentistry for 5 years and will be completing a intern program in orthodontics. I'm 0 for 3 at the moment according to the list above.

Is that normal?

I am sailing the same boat but then again I am certain you are more qualified than I am.

Regardless, it's extremely competitive.

Is that normal?

Same boat, 0 for 1 here 3rd time applying

Same boat its been 5 years

I'm trying to wrap my head around it. I may be biased but private practice and experience goes a long way. Obv there are a lot of very intelligent individuals graduating at this moment that deserve a spot but there is a difference in what only an academic world can teach you vs. treating patients in a clinical setting for years.
I truly wonder if they read and look at every application. Did you complete an intern program?

I am sailing the same boat but then again I am certain you are more qualified than I am.

Regardless, it's extremely competitive.

Don't say that! I wish you nothing but the best. Persistence is key!

I am in the same boat, 0 for 4 according to the list above. Any news from University of the Pacific?

I'm trying to wrap my head around it. I may be biased but private practice and experience goes a long way. Obv there are a lot of very intelligent individuals graduating at this moment that deserve a spot but there is a difference in what only an academic world can teach you vs. treating patients in a clinical setting for years.
I truly wonder if they read and look at every application. Did you complete an intern program?
I agree with you one hundred percent

Don't say that! I wish you nothing but the best. Persistence is key!
Thank you, friend! I wish the best for us all.

I couldn't agree with you more on clinical experience, yet it seems that those with the experience have had the least invites so far.

Thank you, friend! I wish the best for us all.

I couldn't agree with you more on clinical experience, yet it seems that those with the experience have had the least invites so far.

Here's the thing about experience - you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I truly believe that everybody should work prior to deciding to specialize. Dental school is a poor representation of the field. A GPR/AEGD isn't even enough to grasp how clinical dentistry works. Unfortunately if I were a program director I wouldn't want a dentist who has been practicing for too long because you will be stuck in your ways. You will likely have a poor attitude when it comes to doing "dumb" things that academia requires you to do to learn the proper steps and basics. Its also likely a poor attitude will stem from just recently making a ton of money doing dentistry and to now do it for pennies on the dollar or worse, paying to do it. I get it and completely understand why directors are hesitant to take people with a lot of experience. All the corner cutting that works in real world dentistry will be frowned upon in residency. Sure some people will adapt and be able to leave all the bad habits behind, but it definitely isn't easy.

Here's the thing about experience - you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I truly believe that everybody should work prior to deciding to specialize. Dental school is a poor representation of the field. A GPR/AEGD isn't even enough to grasp how clinical dentistry works. Unfortunately if I were a program director I wouldn't want a dentist who has been practicing for too long because you will be stuck in your ways. You will likely have a poor attitude when it comes to doing "dumb" things that academia requires you to do to learn the proper steps and basics. Its also likely a poor attitude will stem from just recently making a ton of money doing dentistry and to now do it for pennies on the dollar or worse, paying to do it. I get it and completely understand why directors are hesitant to take people with a lot of experience. All the corner cutting that works in real world dentistry will be frowned upon in residency. Sure some people will adapt and be able to leave all the bad habits behind, but it definitely isn't easy.

There is no need to be aggressive and mean. Have some respect.

I wasnt being aggressive or mean. If hearing somebody's opinion on why experience is undesirable is considered disrespectful you need thicker skin. I even empathized with you saying that in an ideal world experience would be sought after. But the world isn't ideal.

I wasnt being aggressive or mean. If hearing somebody's opinion on why experience is undesirable is considered disrespectful you need thicker skin. I even empathized with you saying that in an ideal world experience would be sought after. But the world isn't ideal.

"Can't teach an old dog new tricks"- smellycarabelli69
"You will likely have a poor attitude"- smellycarabelli69
"Poor attitude will stem from recently have made a ton of money"- smellycarabelli69
"All the corner cutting that works in real world dentistry" - smellycarabelli69
"You need thicker skin" - smellycarabelli69

All your words, my friend, not mine!

"Can't teach an old dog new tricks"- smellycarabelli69
"You will likely have a poor attitude"- smellycarabelli69
"Poor attitude will stem from recently have made a ton of money"- smellycarabelli69
"All the corner cutting that works in real world dentistry" - smellycarabelli69
"You need thicker skin" - smellycarabelli69

All your words, my friend, not mine!

Also another undesirable trait of experience - automatically defensive when criticized (inability to take critcism). What are you going to do when the attending tells you to bend more wires the "right" way? Regardless I'm not here to argue. Good luck to you this cycle. Its early and I am sure you will be accepted to the program you interned at.

Also another undesirable trait of experience - automatically defensive when criticized (inability to take critcism). What are you going to do when the attending tells you to bend more wires the "right" way? Regardless I'm not here to argue. Good luck to you this cycle. Its early and I am sure you will be accepted to the program you interned at.

You love making assumptions.
Wish you the best of luck as well.

The ortho program director at my school told me once that your chances of getting into ortho decreases for every year you are out of dental school for these exact same reasons. But I think the director was just generalizing since there are a few residents at my school's ortho program that didn't go straight after dental school.

The ortho program director at my school told me once that your chances of getting into ortho decreases for every year you are out of dental school for these exact same reasons. But I think the director was just generalizing since there are a few residents at my school's ortho program that didn't go straight after dental school.

And Elouise thinks I am making this stuff up to be mean :(.

has anyone ever applied to orthodontics again after not getting for three application cycles?