USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Bball1, I would counter that your 240 may have been inflated since you concentrated on something that was heavily tested on the exam you were about to take. You won't have that luxury on test day.

That said, I hope your next practice test is at that level too!

Mine has also disappeared (took it in late May, expiration date was late July). Does anyone think it's possible that they will release the scores officially today or perhaps they are going through all the exams since April 24th and doing a bunch at a time and ultimately releasing the scores next Wednesday? Heart rate is up now also lol.

By the way in terms of the permit disappearing I did find somebody on a step 3 blog from a few years back who took step 3 and he said that his permit disappeared but he ultimately failed, so I'm not exactly sure what the permit disappearing means. I could see it going either way, you took the exam and whether or not you failed you've used your permit and cannot sign up again using that one and will have to apply again for another one, or I could see it being, you passed the exam and no longer are eligible to take the exam anymore because once you pass you pass.
Haha damn, I was hoping to cling onto any sort of certainty but should've known better when it came to anything dealing with the USMLE. But I kind of felt like it was too good to be true.

Took it June 7th and my permit disappeared. Now the hell of 5 days. Best of luck to everyone!

I guess I can talk about my exam experience if any are interested, and it seems like a common theme here.

I actually slept well the night of given the day before I did every possible thing to tire myself out--I ran, climbed, had a drink with friends, Skyped my partner who is across the globe, and by the end of the day I was more than ready to sleep. I only woke up once, and when 6am came around, I decided to get up and drive to the testing center, which is conveniently next to a Panera, and I camped there for a while where one of my classmates was and we chatted for a bit. I was checked in by 7:30, and began my exam perhaps a minute or two after 8:00am. My heart beating so loud I could hear it with the air-tight headphones until I answered my first question, which I'm (at least somewhat) sure I got correct and felt better from there.

The exam: First thing, please do not underestimate how long it will take to enter and exit the exam room. Finger-print stations fail, technology is not full-proof, and I often had to wait 2-3 minutes for them to let me exit the exam center. That was frustrating.

The exam itself was honestly not terrible, but I know I could have done better. My exam particularly had multiple gastrointestinal arterial anatomy questions and reproductive questions that I just honestly didn't care for, and bit the bullet and just guessed, moved on. Most questions seemed fair, and I could almost always narrow a question down to two answers and guess from there.

I found that most of the pharm and micro was quite straightfoward. I know there was some talk about that earlier in the month, but FA/UW/P works just fine. I had a protozoan question that I had no idea what it was, but I could rule out all of the other answers based on what I had read in FA the night before.

Pharm was very straightforward. Prototypical drugs, know them. They're important.

Quintessential "oh those are totes on Step 1" questions were there. My first question was a biochem question that I'm 99% sure we've all had seen a hundred thousand times, especially if you are subscribed to Uworld.

Other than that, I finished each block with roughly 5-12 minutes to spare. My 2nd to last block was my most uncomfortable, my vision was blurry because I was hypoglycemic (oh yeah...that reminds me..eat!!!!) and my last block I definitely know I did not focus as much as I should have because I was tired of reading stems.

Overall, I'm aiming for a 235 or higher. I had been scoring in that range for most of my NBMEs. We'll see what happens. I'm moving to England for my PhD so I'll find out literally the day I have settled into my flat. Hopefully the pizza and beer will coax my nerves.

Cheers!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called NBME last week to ask and they the results will be released 6/28 at 11 EST! I took it on 5/11 and my permit has disappeared! I can't wait anymore !!!!

Reactions: 1 user
NBME 16: 175
UWSA1: 222
NBME 17: 209
All separated by about a week
Test is on july 8th, with uswa1 tendency to over predict and i have no clue how the curve works on nbme 17 what should i make of these numbers?

Would suggest taking NBME 18 a week or so before for a better prediction

NBME 16: 175
UWSA1: 222
NBME 17: 209
All separated by about a week
Test is on july 8th, with uswa1 tendency to over predict and i have no clue how the curve works on nbme 17 what should i make of these numbers?[/QUOTE

Took mine on 6/8 and my scheduling permit has disappeared. Next Wednesday is a full didactic day for me, so it will be hard to focus lol

Can anyone comment on this-

so from what I've gathered from people who have taken nbme18 in the last few weeks-
60 wrong = 207
45 wrong = 219
41 wrong = 230
36 wrong =234
31 wrong = 236
27 wrong = 242

I'm confused how going from 41 to 45 wrong drops you ten pts? But then from 45 to 60 drops you a little more than ten pts?

Can you basically get more wrong the farther away you get from the average without your score dropping significantly?
I'm really bad at stats..
18 wrong was a 252.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just thinking the NBME site is probably going to crash lol
Yeah I read the thread from last year and they had a similar delay. It took people 2 hrs of constantly refreshing the page to get their score because the nbme server was overloaded with people trying to access it

Anyone take it on the 12th have their permit disappear? Mine is still there so assuming no scores this week?

Anyone take it on the 12th have their permit disappear? Mine is still there so assuming no scores this week?
Yeah I think we are gonna get our scores July 12, since apparently no scores are released the week of the 4th of July!

Hey guys, been reading a lot of the write-ups. Experiences and advice shared. I'm an IMG, please assistance needed on study guide, how much time sufficient to put in to studies in a day, resources (I have FA, KAPLAN notes and U world). I'm pretty much lost as I currently read in a scattered pattern. Any guidance and direction would be much appreciated. Kindly inbox me as well just in case I miss the response along the thread. Thank you.

For whoever may be reading this and might need a pep talk (including myself):

For every practice exam I have ever taken (whether it be an NBME or school issued) I think to myself before I look at my score "this is finally the one where you blew it." Pretty consistently I think that I've finally hit the batch of questions that doesn't match up to what I've prepared for. And every time I check my score I am shocked to see I've done well, even improved in some cases. I know I will absolutely feel this way after Step 1, but that doesn't always give comfort.

But, no matter what score we get, whether we think it is representative of the work we have put in, we should all be extremely proud of ourselves. In a couple years we will graduate and finally be able to call ourselves physicians, and able to look back at this time of our lives and think about how we were able to conquer something the average person could not. So no matter the score, what specialty you choose, how you feel after you walk out of the exam, you should feel extremely proud of yourself.

AMEN TO THIS.

Took the beast today and have some thoughts that I feel compelled to share given I had the same doubts/questions/fears regarding it:

1) UW vs NBME vs Step 1?
I wish I could say a specific answer but I honestly felt that the test was a combination of the two. The easy questions (roughly 20-25%) of the exam were gimmes like on NBME and the medium difficulty questions (about 50-60%) were either slightly vague in their presentation like NBME or required more higher order thinking/deducing like UWorld. The truly hard questions (around 10-15%) were hard because either they went more higher order than UW, asking about connections between topics that required very solid understanding of pathophysiology and being able to apply concepts to novel situations. The true WTF questions for me honestly felt experimental, asking about very minute gene details regarding a common disease or very obscure anatomy or a very random biostats concept. But these WTF questions honestly were only a handful and some.
In general, majority of the questions had around 4-5 answer choices and I had some questions where I didn't know much about the topic but I could definitely rule out the answers down to 1-2. I will very surprised to find that the vast majority of question stems were more like NBME in that they were SHORTER than UW (yes I know!). There were probably 5-8 questions with true long stems but they were usually psych/ethics questions. That being said, I found myself using every minute of every block solely because I spent a lot more time pondering each question than I do on UW/NBME.

2) Breakdown of topics
- Anatomy: Comprised a decent portion of the exam, more than I truly would have liked and more questions than my friends' had on the topic. That being said, it was not bad for the most part. I luckily did not have ANY tough female repro anatomy, which made me VERY happy. 85% of the anatomy consisted of things mentioned in UW/FA/NBMEs (KNOW those UW Anatomy pictures! They are gold!). The other 10% was not in there explicitly but could be somewhat reasoned out. I had one question on a topic that I vaguely remembered encountering in my sh**ty class lecture 2 years ago.

- Biochem: Wow, this was the biggest shocker. My biochem questions were by far WAY, WAY, WAY easier than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised because I feel emasculated every time I study Biochem and I came out feeling like I spent much more time on it than I needed to on it. The type of questions on my exam were much more broad and "overall picture" based than most of the Biochem questions I encountered on NBMEs/UW. That being said, my exam may not be the same as yours, so still study hard!

- Cell Bio/Molecular Bio/etc: I will say that most of the toughest/WTF questions I had on my exam probably came from this section. I would say know FA/UW cell bio stuff well (I think FA covers it a bit in the Biochem section) and also as you are learning the pathology of each disease, be able to integrate how cell bio pathways play into the pathophysiology of the disease as they are asking more and more types of questions like this.

- Physiology: Hard. But fair. Felt a lot like the newer NBMEs and questions from a certain qbank (read on). Those up-down graphs that we so look forward to (sarcasm), yeah they showed up by the bunches. FA/UW/past NBMEs are a solid way to prepare for the physiology on Step 1 however. Throw in BRS Phys for topics that you find difficult (BRS does a great job on hemodynamics btw). And with that, here's my kicker: Walking out of the exam, I felt that the best resource that helped prepare me for these up down questions that were so prominent on my exam were.......... <drumroll please> Kaplan QBank questions. I downloaded an offline pdf of Kaplan QBank (from 2012) phys and pathophys questions and did around 70% of them every once in a while during my rotation last month (bc FA was lulling me to sleep) and without a doubt, I believe they gave me the best "feel" of the type and difficulty of questions on Step 1. Now, I know Kaplan is notorious for having minute details but tbh, those questions were few and far between. Kaplan phys questions were generally harder than the ones I encountered on Step 1 but they drill the hemodynamics stuff down hard. Definitely know your volume states and body responses, as well as hormonal responses in common pathologies.

- Pathology: Not entirely bad. Lots of integration with other topics listed above but the pure pathology ones were usually the gimmes. UFAP was by far the highest yield. I will say that they tended to ask the more obscure/less commonly encountered diseases in a more straightforward fashion and they asked the common diseases in such a way that you had to have a thorough understanding of the ins and outs. My exam had a ton of renal/GI and less female repro (*YES!) and neuro, but yours may vary. I had a ton of pictures, but they were straight forward for the most part. 1 pic was a repeat from NBME.

- Micro: Parasites fo' days... Good lord, I have a theory those NBME test writers watch Sketchy in its entirety and purposefully ask questions not mentioned it. No, I am not trying to freak you out. Sketchy is gold but DO NOT IGNORE FIRST AID! I only had about 5 gimme questions in Micro that could be answered solely by Sketchy. The rest were organisms that could have been found in Sketchy but had pictures and descriptions that Sketchy alone would not have led me to the answer. KNOW THOSE DAMN PARASITES! I had more parasite questions than virus questions and I was livid. Also, KNOW HOW THOSE DAMN PARASITES LOOK LIKE. I had 4-5 Micro questions with a vague AF prompt but a picture that led me to the answer. I made a quizlet with pictures of all the parasites and hit them hard about a week ago so I felt kind of, sort of prepared. But I am still clueless on one of the parasite questions.

- Pharm: Not too bad at all. Very high yield side effects. UW + FA more than enough. Only 1-2 were ones that made me go WTF. Without breaking NBME rules, I will say know some "atypical" drug names of the common drug classes like diuretics or etc. These will help you rule out answer choices for the harder questions for sure.

- Psych: Straight-forward. Like UW for the most part. All of my questions came straight from the FA chapter, which is underrated imo. Know the drugs too of course.

- Next step management: These were medium/hard. I had 4 questions that I was only able to answer because I came off of a 2 month internal medicine rotation recently. In general, pick the most straight-forward answer. Similar to NBMEs/UW but some had a few had situations I could not have imagine. I felt very unsure on a lot of these.

- Biostats: Not that many questions, 2 tough ones. Watched 2 Dr. Randy Neill videos on YT and one B&B video on bias and read the FA chapter the day before exam. Felt like I got every one of them, thanks to those two. I have some background in statistics (AP Stats in high school lol, but taught by an exemplary teacher) and had a well-taught biostats course at my med school so I never felt too uncomfortable. But Randy Neill and B&B were excellent reviews.

- Ethics: By far the hardest part of Step 1 imo but luckily compromised about 5-6 total for me. I had scenarios with 2-3 answers that seemed perfectly reasonable. For this reason, I felt the most unsure on these questions. Just made the most reasonable choice that my gut told me to pick and went with it. FA/UW didn't help that much. Read Conrad and a few other online sources, but they didn't seem to help much either. This is one section that I cannot say with certainty which source to use.

3) General advice that I'd give to myself when I started studying:
- KNOW the buzzwords (with a caveat): Yes, Step 1 had a TON of buzzwords. But the vast majority of the time, they were presented as clever "descriptions" rather than the words themselves. If you've done UW/NBMEs, then you'll know what to expect. I sometimes caught buzzword descriptions on a 2nd closer reading of the questions that I missed on my first. So simply, KNOW buzzwords and use reading comprehension skills to recognise them when presented slightly different than what you may be used to seeing in FA/UW.

- Practice your rule out skills: A lot of questions I encountered today had very similar case presentations but there were key phrases (sometimes one word) that helped distinguish between one pathology and another. So as you are learning the common diseases, ruthlessly focus on being able to distinguish one similar disease from another. UW obviously helps a lot with this. FA charts and the way they have all related diseases one on pages makes it easy to find differences too. Even many of the tough questions had answers that could be EASILY ruled out, thus raising the chances of me answering it correctly even if I guessed. This is an innate part of test taking ability than can only really be practiced in its most direct form by questions, questions, questions. Be ruthless in your wrong answers and try to never get that particular concept, question wrong again.

- BECOME AN EXPERT on the most common diseases. The biggest thing I got out of today was that Step 1 tested the more vague diseases in a simpler fashion but for the common diseases (ie DM, HF, etc), you had to truly understand the pathophysiology inside-out, frontway-backways to be able to answer them. Never skimp on the common diseases because you think you know everything about it since it's so common. Become an expert on them and be able to thoroughly explain how those common diseases cause the clinical manifestations they do. Knowing the common pathophysiology will also help to answer questions on scenarios never encountered before.

Long read, but I just threw my thoughts out there as a much needed release. Hope it's helpful and as always, YMMV.

*My background:
- NBMEs started in 220s, 240s towards end (but I still hate you NBME 19), UWSA2 high 240s a while ago, UWSA2 250s.

- Did FA, UW, some Pathoma. Some Kaplan QBank due to FA boredom. About 60-70% of USMLE-Rx, didn't find that helpful imo.

- Listened to all Goljan on commutes a while ago, moderately helpful.

- Did a few chapters of Robbins Review of Pathology question book questions. This book is honestly gold but I didn't get much time to do it. I wish I had finished this in its entirety before dedicated. Definitely picked up some pathology concepts + question reasoning skills from it. Explanations of the utmost quality, on par with UWorld.

Sorry for long post but good luck to those who have yet to take it! See you soon on the other side. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, along with some ice cold beverages metabolised by CYP :)

Thanks a lot, very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Took the beast today and have some thoughts that I feel compelled to share given I had the same doubts/questions/fears regarding it:

1) UW vs NBME vs Step 1?
I wish I could say a specific answer but I honestly felt that the test was a combination of the two. The easy questions (roughly 20-25%) of the exam were gimmes like on NBME and the medium difficulty questions (about 50-60%) were either slightly vague in their presentation like NBME or required more higher order thinking/deducing like UWorld. The truly hard questions (around 10-15%) were hard because either they went more higher order than UW, asking about connections between topics that required very solid understanding of pathophysiology and being able to apply concepts to novel situations. The true WTF questions for me honestly felt experimental, asking about very minute gene details regarding a common disease or very obscure anatomy or a very random biostats concept. But these WTF questions honestly were only a handful and some.
In general, majority of the questions had around 4-5 answer choices and I had some questions where I didn't know much about the topic but I could definitely rule out the answers down to 1-2. I will very surprised to find that the vast majority of question stems were more like NBME in that they were SHORTER than UW (yes I know!). There were probably 5-8 questions with true long stems but they were usually psych/ethics questions. That being said, I found myself using every minute of every block solely because I spent a lot more time pondering each question than I do on UW/NBME.

2) Breakdown of topics
- Anatomy: Comprised a decent portion of the exam, more than I truly would have liked and more questions than my friends' had on the topic. That being said, it was not bad for the most part. I luckily did not have ANY tough female repro anatomy, which made me VERY happy. 85% of the anatomy consisted of things mentioned in UW/FA/NBMEs (KNOW those UW Anatomy pictures! They are gold!). The other 10% was not in there explicitly but could be somewhat reasoned out. I had one question on a topic that I vaguely remembered encountering in my sh**ty class lecture 2 years ago.

- Biochem: Wow, this was the biggest shocker. My biochem questions were by far WAY, WAY, WAY easier than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised because I feel emasculated every time I study Biochem and I came out feeling like I spent much more time on it than I needed to on it. The type of questions on my exam were much more broad and "overall picture" based than most of the Biochem questions I encountered on NBMEs/UW. That being said, my exam may not be the same as yours, so still study hard!

- Cell Bio/Molecular Bio/etc: I will say that most of the toughest/WTF questions I had on my exam probably came from this section. I would say know FA/UW cell bio stuff well (I think FA covers it a bit in the Biochem section) and also as you are learning the pathology of each disease, be able to integrate how cell bio pathways play into the pathophysiology of the disease as they are asking more and more types of questions like this.

- Physiology: Hard. But fair. Felt a lot like the newer NBMEs and questions from a certain qbank (read on). Those up-down graphs that we so look forward to (sarcasm), yeah they showed up by the bunches. FA/UW/past NBMEs are a solid way to prepare for the physiology on Step 1 however. Throw in BRS Phys for topics that you find difficult (BRS does a great job on hemodynamics btw). And with that, here's my kicker: Walking out of the exam, I felt that the best resource that helped prepare me for these up down questions that were so prominent on my exam were.......... <drumroll please> Kaplan QBank questions. I downloaded an offline pdf of Kaplan QBank (from 2012) phys and pathophys questions and did around 70% of them every once in a while during my rotation last month (bc FA was lulling me to sleep) and without a doubt, I believe they gave me the best "feel" of the type and difficulty of questions on Step 1. Now, I know Kaplan is notorious for having minute details but tbh, those questions were few and far between. Kaplan phys questions were generally harder than the ones I encountered on Step 1 but they drill the hemodynamics stuff down hard. Definitely know your volume states and body responses, as well as hormonal responses in common pathologies.

- Pathology: Not entirely bad. Lots of integration with other topics listed above but the pure pathology ones were usually the gimmes. UFAP was by far the highest yield. I will say that they tended to ask the more obscure/less commonly encountered diseases in a more straightforward fashion and they asked the common diseases in such a way that you had to have a thorough understanding of the ins and outs. My exam had a ton of renal/GI and less female repro (*YES!) and neuro, but yours may vary. I had a ton of pictures, but they were straight forward for the most part. 1 pic was a repeat from NBME.

- Micro: Parasites fo' days... Good lord, I have a theory those NBME test writers watch Sketchy in its entirety and purposefully ask questions not mentioned it. No, I am not trying to freak you out. Sketchy is gold but DO NOT IGNORE FIRST AID! I only had about 5 gimme questions in Micro that could be answered solely by Sketchy. The rest were organisms that could have been found in Sketchy but had pictures and descriptions that Sketchy alone would not have led me to the answer. KNOW THOSE DAMN PARASITES! I had more parasite questions than virus questions and I was livid. Also, KNOW HOW THOSE DAMN PARASITES LOOK LIKE. I had 4-5 Micro questions with a vague AF prompt but a picture that led me to the answer. I made a quizlet with pictures of all the parasites and hit them hard about a week ago so I felt kind of, sort of prepared. But I am still clueless on one of the parasite questions.

- Pharm: Not too bad at all. Very high yield side effects. UW + FA more than enough. Only 1-2 were ones that made me go WTF. Without breaking NBME rules, I will say know some "atypical" drug names of the common drug classes like diuretics or etc. These will help you rule out answer choices for the harder questions for sure.

- Psych: Straight-forward. Like UW for the most part. All of my questions came straight from the FA chapter, which is underrated imo. Know the drugs too of course.

- Next step management: These were medium/hard. I had 4 questions that I was only able to answer because I came off of a 2 month internal medicine rotation recently. In general, pick the most straight-forward answer. Similar to NBMEs/UW but some had a few had situations I could not have imagine. I felt very unsure on a lot of these.

- Biostats: Not that many questions, 2 tough ones. Watched 2 Dr. Randy Neill videos on YT and one B&B video on bias and read the FA chapter the day before exam. Felt like I got every one of them, thanks to those two. I have some background in statistics (AP Stats in high school lol, but taught by an exemplary teacher) and had a well-taught biostats course at my med school so I never felt too uncomfortable. But Randy Neill and B&B were excellent reviews.

- Ethics: By far the hardest part of Step 1 imo but luckily compromised about 5-6 total for me. I had scenarios with 2-3 answers that seemed perfectly reasonable. For this reason, I felt the most unsure on these questions. Just made the most reasonable choice that my gut told me to pick and went with it. FA/UW didn't help that much. Read Conrad and a few other online sources, but they didn't seem to help much either. This is one section that I cannot say with certainty which source to use.

3) General advice that I'd give to myself when I started studying:
- KNOW the buzzwords (with a caveat): Yes, Step 1 had a TON of buzzwords. But the vast majority of the time, they were presented as clever "descriptions" rather than the words themselves. If you've done UW/NBMEs, then you'll know what to expect. I sometimes caught buzzword descriptions on a 2nd closer reading of the questions that I missed on my first. So simply, KNOW buzzwords and use reading comprehension skills to recognise them when presented slightly different than what you may be used to seeing in FA/UW.

- Practice your rule out skills: A lot of questions I encountered today had very similar case presentations but there were key phrases (sometimes one word) that helped distinguish between one pathology and another. So as you are learning the common diseases, ruthlessly focus on being able to distinguish one similar disease from another. UW obviously helps a lot with this. FA charts and the way they have all related diseases one on pages makes it easy to find differences too. Even many of the tough questions had answers that could be EASILY ruled out, thus raising the chances of me answering it correctly even if I guessed. This is an innate part of test taking ability than can only really be practiced in its most direct form by questions, questions, questions. Be ruthless in your wrong answers and try to never get that particular concept, question wrong again.

- BECOME AN EXPERT on the most common diseases. The biggest thing I got out of today was that Step 1 tested the more vague diseases in a simpler fashion but for the common diseases (ie DM, HF, etc), you had to truly understand the pathophysiology inside-out, frontway-backways to be able to answer them. Never skimp on the common diseases because you think you know everything about it since it's so common. Become an expert on them and be able to thoroughly explain how those common diseases cause the clinical manifestations they do. Knowing the common pathophysiology will also help to answer questions on scenarios never encountered before.

Long read, but I just threw my thoughts out there as a much needed release. Hope it's helpful and as always, YMMV.

*My background:
- NBMEs started in 220s, 230-40s towards end (but I still hate you NBME 19), UWSA1 high 240s a while ago, UWSA2 250s a week before.

- Did FA, UW, some Pathoma. Some Kaplan QBank due to FA boredom. About 60-70% of USMLE-Rx, didn't find that helpful imo.

- Listened to all Goljan on commutes a while ago, moderately helpful.

- Did a few chapters of Robbins Review of Pathology question book questions. This book is honestly gold but I didn't get much time to do it. I wish I had finished this in its entirety before dedicated. Definitely picked up some pathology concepts + question reasoning skills from it. Explanations of the utmost quality, on par with UWorld.

Sorry for long post but good luck to those who have yet to take it! See you soon on the other side. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, along with some ice cold beverages metabolised by CYP :)

*EDIT: Someone asked about the Parasite quizlet I made and I figured I'd just share it if anyone would like to study from it. I tried to include pics of the parasites but also know what the worms look like grossly (yes I'm serious).

Glycogen/Lysosome storage diseases + Parasites Flashcards | Quizlet

^ Btw it's Parasites and Lysosomal/Glycogen storage diseases combined because I combined the most rage-inducing topics into one.

P.S. f**k NBME 19's curve

Best written exam experience ever! Thanks for sharing the quizlet flashcards :)

I am posting again and need some advice. I am a D.O. student interested in a competitive specialty where I need 250+ on USMLE. So far I have taken a few practice exams:

NBME 16: 236
NBME 17: 240
UWSA1: 258
NBME 19: 244

My exam is July 5th and I was originally planning on taking UWSA2 and NBME 18 for my last two self-assessments before the real deal. However, I am wondering if I should postpone. This coming up year, I am going to be doing a "fellowship" at my school where I will be pretty much working 8am-5pm or so every day. Before starting dedicated, my goal was to do many questions (USMLERx, Kaplan, UWorld 2X) but didn't even come close to that. I still have 400 UWorld questions do finish and haven't reviewed my incorrects. I also wanted to read through BRS physiology. I have used Boards and Beyond for my content review while looking at First Aid (but never actually read through it). To make a long story short, I feel like I can really improve my scores if I maximize my resources and finish Kaplan, Rx, and complete UW again while actually reading through First Aid.

Any advice?

I am posting again and need some advice. I am a D.O. student interested in a competitive specialty where I need 250+ on USMLE. So far I have taken a few practice exams:

NBME 16: 236
NBME 17: 240
UWSA1: 258
NBME 19: 244

My exam is July 5th and I was originally planning on taking UWSA2 and NBME 18 for my last two self-assessments before the real deal. However, I am wondering if I should postpone. This coming up year, I am going to be doing a "fellowship" at my school where I will be pretty much working 8am-5pm or so every day. Before starting dedicated, my goal was to do many questions (USMLERx, Kaplan, UWorld 2X) but didn't even come close to that. I still have 400 UWorld questions do finish and haven't reviewed my incorrects. I also wanted to read through BRS physiology. I have used Boards and Beyond for my content review while looking at First Aid (but never actually read through it). To make a long story short, I feel like I can really improve my scores if I maximize my resources and finish Kaplan, Rx, and complete UW again while actually reading through First Aid.

Any advice?
Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't taken my test yet, but I feel like there's always going to be more material that you want to get through no matter what. Your current scores suggest that you'll most likely score 240+ which would be pretty good for most residencies. You just really have to ask yourself if postponing your test for another week or two is really going to make that much of a difference. I've considered postponing, but I feel like I'd be forgetting more information that I'd be learning and I don't really want to spend another week of the small amount of summer I have left studying in a library cubicle.

On separate note, what kind of fellowship are you doing?

This journey is by far the most craziest ever and unfortunately still 2.5 weeks to go!!!!!.............. A little background
NBME 13 (Baseline) Early May: 203
NBME 15 Mid May: 203!!! Totally messed me up mentally
UWSA 1 Early June: 220 (Had not revised micro and it got me bad)
NBME 19: Mid June: 230 (what an awful curve)
NBME 17: Today: 2-freaking48 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not believe my eyes...... This score has scared me tbh... Ive got NBME 16/18 AND UWSA 2 left and plan to do them 3-4 days apart..... I dont know what else I should be doing tbh... Any advice to keep me in this range of scores.... I felt it was the easiest exam to date...I honestly felt it was a fluke!! Any advice will go a long way! Thank you.... Hang in there everybody!!

Last edited:
For all you guys who have been waiting since April/May... I don't know how you guys did it. Its been 19 days and I don't know if I can survive these last 4 days!!!

Reactions: 5 users
For all you guys who have been waiting since April/May... I don't know how you guys did it. Its been 19 days and I don't know if I can survive these last 4 days!!!

I feel you, I completely forgot about scores since I finished comlex . All we can do is wait

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's so weird to be honest, I feel like I'm in a weird limbo state without my score. It's like living without a last name. So sad how much a score defines who you are.

Reactions: 7 users
Yep! So at the risk of oversimplifying:
  • absolute risk reduction (ARR) is how much the risk of a particular event was alleviated by the treatment (i.e. how much the risk is reduced by the treatment)
  • attributable risk (AR) is how much the risk of a particular event was created by the treatment (i.e. how much risk can be attributed to the treatment).
It's pretty straightforward to remember the equations if you just think about the names of the statistics.

Thanks!!

i have to ask because now this is worrying me. does your permit disappear only if you passed the exam, or is it something that just automatically occurs after a number of weeks have passed?

Your permit disappears if you're getting your score the next Wednesday. The rest is not confirmed. Some say it's only if you are going to pass or if your original three month window closes. I haven't seen any proof of that. I have also heard of people whose permit didn't disappear getting their score and having passed. I don't know how true that is either.

Personally, I'm confident that I passed. As such, there is nothing I can do about the score whether it's what I wanted or not.

I like me far too much to torture myself over something I can't change.

I agree with the sentiment ^. Heck, I think I did well. But who knows. Easier tests have tougher "curves." All in all, as long as you're happy with your effort and you passed, the rest doesn't matter so much. You got what you got. Move on and change your strategy and/or work harder for the rest of med school. We're all gonna make it ;)

Your permit disappears if you're getting your score the next Wednesday. The rest is not confirmed. Some say it's only if you are going to pass or if your original three month window closes. I haven't seen any proof of that. I have also heard of people whose permit didn't disappear getting their score and having passed. I don't know how true that is either.

I have never heard of this, I thought people's permit disappear just because you are getting your score that Wednesday . So should I check my score this Wednesday? I'll be on vacation , or wait till I get back ?

Last edited:
For the record, my permit disappeared at the beginning of June since my eligibility period ended. From what I gather, the permit disappearing means that your eligibility has expired or you are getting your score the coming wednesday. I don't think we can really confirm if someone passed just based on permit disappearing.

Personally, I'm confident that I passed. As such, there is nothing I can do about the score whether it's what I wanted or not.

I like me far too much to torture myself over something I can't change.
I mean me too. I'm pretty confident that I passed. But not knowing my score is what makes the time go by so slow. I don't know about you guys but I seriously have no gauge of how well I did. This is the first test in medical school where I legit could have done really well or bad (though I still think I passed). Thats what makes it so... exciting I guess. Plus this is like the biggest test of our lives (at least so far).

I mean me too. I'm pretty confident that I passed. But not knowing my score is what makes the time go by so slow. I don't know about you guys but I seriously have no gauge of how well I did. This is the first test in medical school where I legit could have done really well or bad (though I still think I passed). Thats what makes it so... exciting I guess. Plus this is like the biggest test of our lives (at least so far).

it's the biggest most important test we will ever take period

Lol, May 9th here. Some have been waiting since April 24th. I think you'll live

haha very true, I've just been working like crazy (I'm also a nurse) to keep my mind busy. God bless those who've been screwed over by the long wait.

I have never heard of this, I thought people's permit disappear just because you are getting your score that Wednesday . So should I check my score this Wednesday? I'll be on vacation , or wait till I get back ?

you'll get an email anyway when it posts anyway so you can just wait for that

Last edited: